Random Image

Chalk Creek2018

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of October 9

Started by JoanFL, October 09, 2016, 03:23:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Mary Ann--I've never had the opportunity to use Uber so it's interesting to hear how they operate.

Callie--Glad you did finally get your paper.

Linedancer--I guess you are getting the remnants of Matthew.  Wonderful that you have won ribbons at the fair.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Shirley

Mary Ann, I've heard a lot about Uber drivers but never took the time to read about what they do/mean.  I like that idea and can see where it would be great to have in an area of older people that don't drive anymore.  My mother's neighbor gave up their car when her husband died (she never drove) & had a special cab driver she called any time she wanted to go places.  Mother took her to Garden Club, etc, but the other lady was very independent about getting around.  On the other hand, we've had some horrible cab drivers, especially when out of town & called for rides to the airport.... have a feeling they sent drivers with the worst reputations just to give them work & knew out of towners wouldn't be repeaters anyway.  Uber drivers could establish long term customers, I would think, and companies could arrange for drivers for their own people when on business. 

Larry, nice to hear Pat is doing better and I'm another that will sing your praises for taking over so many duties around the house.  That's what it's all about, pulling together, right?   :thumbup:

Phyll, your tea time is beautiful.... Glad everything still working for you.  I have not figured how to even set up work space with the 2 newer versions of Paint Shop Pro so quit trying.  The original one I have is for XP & works on Vista but says not compatible with this laptop that converted to Windows 10.  Learned that Toshiba is being sold & warned their "warranty" might be iffy at this stage.  I did get the Vista computer back on but been busy with outside work so haven't messed with PSP. 

Amy, any idea how long they will keep your husband in the hospital or if he will need re-hab stay or daily?  I do feel for you, 'tis exhausting at best, trying to keep everything running at home & the running back & forth.  Hugs to you, and a little prayer every time I think of you. 

Not sure what's going on with my computer, e-mail seems to be hit & miss & my posts have come & gone in here.... starting to look like it may be moi not working right, you think?   :crazy2: :uglystupid2:  Best wishes to all.....

Callie, I still haven't turned on my furnace but got a little nippy the last couple nights.  I hate that smell & want to be able to open the house the first time, 'till the dust bunnies are blown out. Need to go vac the pool, I dipped out a lot of neighbors' leaves while ago, such a pain~ 

Joan & all East coast folks, a sigh of relief that "we" came through as good as possible.  My sympathy for all the clean up that follows.  We "pick our own poison"..... of where we live.  Tornadoes are almost common around here and now Callie is rocking the boat with OK earthquakes, but so far only damage we've had is needing to straighten pictures on the walls nearly every day.  Have not seen any foundation damage at my house.  Hugs to all. 

Joy

Good late afternoon,

Glad to read that everyone seems to have weathered the hurricane pretty well.  I still have not heard anything from my grand daughter, who lives in Pawleys Island, SC.  She and her boyfriend did go up to Charlotte, NC, but have not heard whether they are still there or have gotten back home.  I have another friend, in Hilton Head, and I know they went to a hotel further inland, with their 4 cats.  Late yesterday, they had not had the ok to go back home.  Have not heard anything from her either. So, I guess I am playing the "wait and see" game. 

Patricia, when my son worked for the Defense Dept.  he called me one night and said "Mom, I am at the North Pole". And, he was literally at the actual North Pole.  He had something to do with satellite tracking and they had a base at the North Pole.  He had been hoping to be able to see the Northern Lights, but I guess it wasn't the right time for them.  He was there for several days. 

I am sure the little towns named after the Christmas holidays are nice to see.  Similar, I guess, to Hershey , Pa. where the street lights look like Silver Kisses and most everything is related to "Chocolate".  Fun and tasty place to go to.

It is a pretty sunny day here after several days of being dreary and rainy, except for the wind.  And, I am sure that is from the remains of the storm.  Down at the Maryland beaches, it hasn't been a very nice day.

Today has been a very lazy day.   The Raven's football team lost their 2nd game in a row.  Not a very happy day for all those fans. I watched some of it and then had a nap. 

Had a nice day yesterday,  One of my nephews got married on Friday and they had a big family party yesterday.  Nice to see some of the family that came from out of town.  Was a fun party at a local restaurant near me.  Good food and good family conversations.

Almost time to think about dinner.  I am thinking about putting the heat on for a little while to take the chill off.  Our weather is changing and starting to get cool in the mornings and evenings.  Hate to think about the furnace running almost fulltime. 

Have a good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

I'm spending most of the TV watching on the Weather Channel.  The winds have calmed down, but the rains and floods are bad.

I think the Uber drivers can be asked for as taxi drivers are.  People have complained about the taxi drivers that sometimes it takes 45 minutes to arrive.  I do think the taxi dispatchers ask about the customer's time limit so do try to get them to their destination on time, but if it isn't a rush call, it may take some time. 

Tom takes time to get his car washed often and he keeps the car gassed up.

We have a possible frost warning for tonight, although the forecast is for 40 degrees.  I have brought in a couple of plants but I am putting my amaryllis in plastic grocery bags on the deck so someone can carry them downstairs for the winter.  I'll have to check periodically to see if there are any stalks showing.

Mary Ann

JoanFL

Shirley--Seems no matter where we live there is some type of natural disaster that could/will occur.

Joy--Hope you hear from those that you are worried about.  The party after the wedding sounds like it was enjoyable.

Mary Ann--Sure hope you don't get any flooding.  Sounds like it might be time to turn your furnace on.

Mary Ann

Joan, I doubt we would get flooded from the Grand River, but in 1986 September, we had rain every day of the month and the water in our pond got to within two feet of my patio.  We have had hard rains since, but nothing to compare with that time.

I have had the furnace on for some time.  It didn't go on every day or night, but it has had the capability.  When it has gone on, it has been to take the chill off the condo. 

Mary Ann

Gloria

It is still raining here, supposed to stop around midnight. Also have a cold front coming from the north, already down to almost 50°, possible into 30's over night.

JOAN  glad Joe made it safely home. He must have driven straight home without stopping. I sure did not do much of anything today, raining too much to go out for a walk. Went down to the library and got another book. Could not find anything interesting on TV and tonight is sports and then the debate.

GLORIA de  we are lucky here, we did not get ay wind to speak of. I was looking at the trees and they were hardly moving at times.  On the news they said the Cape and Islands were getting some 40mph wind gusts. The October fest was this week end in one city and they were rained out today. On town has a big art festival this week end and they also were rained out. Tomorrow should be better for their last day.

SHIRLEY  I use PSP 12 ultimate. I have 13 and 14 but do not like either one. Vista was on the last PC I bought and I disliked it, pre-ordered 7 and have been using that since it's release. My iPhone wants to upgrade to 10 but I will not let it.

MARY ANN  we have already had frost and the heat in the building was turned on early. Usually not done till October but I think the maintenance man turned it on early because of the cold. It was on a Sunday night and the manager does not live on the premises but he does. I have turned it up a couple of times in the morning to get the chill out. Mostly I leave it at 65.

Think I will close down early and see it anything on cable looks good.  I am disgusted with both candidates so doubt if I will watch.

Have a good night.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

June Drabek

Back from Church. We had a very enthusiastic speaker this morning. He is only 34 and is Director of Student Ministries at his Friends Church. He will return again next Sunday. I'm looking forward to hearing him again.

Lunch is being served at this time, but I like to go in a little later. They have Prime Rib or Artichoke chicken. I will have the chicken...something different to try. I eat very little beef anymore. Then I will come home, put on some loose clothes and just relax for the rest of the day.

I came in to leave a new post,and find I have not entered the one I did before Church. Looks like my mind has taken a leave of absence again.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Denver

Oh my goodness, LARRY.  MY Broncos looked terrible today and now your Falcons have beat them.  So much for our winning streak!   It wasn't just our back up quarterback not doing well, but the rest of the team as well! 

MARYANN, we have never used Uber here in Denver, but other family members have.  We did use them several times when we were in New York a year or so ago.  We have had very good expierence when using them as have our family members.  Sounds like a good job for Tom and I hope he does well at it. 

Mark, et al have arrived safely in Arizona and they look forward to getting the key for their new home tomorrow so they can start the move in process.  They are SO excited. 

GLORIA, good to read they have turned on your heat.  I feel the same about our candidates but will probably watch them to see for myself how it will go. 

SHIRLEY, you might be needing that heat soon, so hope you can find a day to let it run to get the "stink" out!  We have run ours three times...one evening and a couple of mornings.  You have so many things that need your attention.....glad I do not have to do the leaf dipping out of the pool.  Try not to be overdoing it! 

JOY, I have had a few of those FUN calls from my boys as well, and it sure is nice.....not many will have one from the North Pole though. 

GLORIA de, I did see on Face Book that Johann and Windel came through the storm with out much problems as well.  Sure is nice to see they have the ability to check in as did JOAN and BEVERLY. 

Good to read your newspaper did arrive, CALLIE. 

Time to get started to gather the trash for the week..... I have done quite a bit of cleaning things out this week so the cans are going to be full. 

Pleasant dreams to all. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Mary Ann

Jenny, Uber is not Tom's regular job; he has a job and does Uber on the side.  It is a way to make more money and if he can get into the higher paying area, he does make more.  Neither job will make him rich!

Gloria, I don't know when I first turned on the heat, but it was a chilly morning and I turned on the heat to take the chill off.  When the temperature warmed up enough to open the doors, I turned the heat off so it wouldn't go on unnecessarily.  I have the thermostat set at 72 degrees.  My living area is on the north side of this building and when the wind is from the north, it is too cool in that part of the condo. 

While I have an inside unit, the north side of the living area is not insulated good.  I had frost on the paneling in the family room when I moved here and the builder took off the paneling and added insulation.  The living area upstairs would have to have the wallboard removed and I am not sure I would have wanted to go that route.  My gas bill on budget is $36 a month and I'm not complaining!

Mary Ann

Lloyd Hammond

hope this works for you all .a picture of one of our granddaughter's husband and there new identical twin girls.click on the link below it should open for you.

Lloyd

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153963821113519&set=a.10151361815643519.1073741825.715013518&type=3&theater

Denver

LLOYD, so sorry that your link is not working.....hope you can do it again as we would LOVE to see the baby girls. 
🦋 Jenny

Lloyd Hammond

Denver very little I hate but this win 10 is one of them. It works on my lap top ?. My G D is both under the weather and teaching school full time' so my good help is not available. if you have Facebook he is posted there. sorry I am such of a clod. I will try to get my daughter to come by and do it for us. have a great day. I am going back to bed.

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend, on this Columbus Day.  There's bacon and eggs to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Laws of the Toddler

1. If I like it, it's mine.
2. If it's in my hand, it's mine.
3. If I can take it from you, it's mine.
4. If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
5. If it's mine, it must never appear to be yours in any way.
6. If I'm doing or building something, all the pieces are mine.
7. If it looks just like mine, it's mine.
8. If I think it's mine, it's mine.

Sounds like some adults I have met!!

Food For Thought

So is My Word
By Joel Vande Werken
Scripture Reading: Isaiah 55:6-13

As the rain and the snow . . . [make the earth] bud and flourish . . . so is my word that goes out. . . .
Isaiah 55:10-11
Harvest is the conclusion of a long process of growth. In the spring, farmers plant seed in the ground. Over the course of the summer, God provides water and sunlight, causing the seeds to sprout and grow. Then, months later, the crop is mature, and the grain or produce is ripe for gathering.
Harvest is a time of celebration. As long as crops are in the field, they are vulnerable to damage from disease, animals, and harsh weather. But when harvested, the fruits of another year’s labors are safe.
The prophet Isaiah compares the work of God’s Word in our hearts to the growing season and the harvest. Just as it takes time for a crop to mature, so also it takes time for God’s Word to become established in our hearts. Some crops have a long growing season; others take less time to ripen. But the process of growth continues in each case. When we seek the Lord through his Word, when we turn to Christ in repentance and trust, we begin to see the Spirit’s work of bringing faith and hope to maturity in us.
Where is God bringing a harvest of righteousness in your life? Give thanks for the growth you have seen in this season and for the signs of God’s Word at work in your life. Also pray for continued spiritual growth and ¬maturity in your and ¬others’ lives.
Heavenly Father, send your Word into our hearts. Bring us to maturity. Weed out that which is sinful in us, and bring us joy in the work of your Spirit. Amen.

Thought of the Day

“You never know when a moment and a few sincere words can have an impact on a life.”

~ Zig Ziglar

:smitten:

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning Bis good to see you . I am going back to bed c you again later.

Lloyd

Gloria

Good morning everyone. Well I did watch about the last half hour or so of the debate but the more I hear both of them the more I want to write in the name of someone else.  Her I trust as var as I could throw her and he thinks he is the best of anyone.

JENNY  glad Mark and everyone arrived safely in Arizona.

MARY ANN  the side of the building I live on faces south/southwest. Gets really hot in here in the summer and in the winter I seldom turn the heat up above 65. Heat is included in the rent.

LLOYD  your link will not work for me. Looks like I am not in the audience that is allowed.

JOAN  good morning, bacon and eggs will be wonderful. Bacon crisp and eggs over east so I can dunk my toast in the yolk. Chuckles, I have a granddaughter that was like that. Glad she outgrew that. Thank you got today's goodies.

Am not up early, have not been able to fall asleep yet. Think I will try again.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Lloyd Hammond

sorry folks I do not know what to do but as soon as I can get help i will get them posted, the farther and the little ladies is posted in Facebook,also mother Hugh and cristal

LLloyd

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Have a fire going to chase away the chills.

Thank you all for your kind words,hugs and prayers.very much needed at this time. He may come home tomorrow...they won't let him out till he can walk better than what is . He still has wires and tubes coming out of him so I would say when he has been disconnected for a time then he can leave. The staff has been awesome..

Happy Columbus day to you..

Joan thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

Good morning, Lloyd.  I hope you are back to sleep by now.

Gloria--Good morning.  Sure hope you can get to sleep and have a good rest.  I watched about the first 15 min. of the debate and quit.

Good morning, Amy.  I pray your husband is soon well enough to be released.

The housekeepers come today so I have a bit of picking up to do.

larryhanna

Hi everyone on a chilly morning for us here in South Carolina.  It was 58 this morning with a high of 72 predicted for the next couple of days with clear skies.  So this week is starting out great. 

I did get to Sunday School and Church but we decided to eat somethings we had here rather than to bring something in.  I listened to some of Don's radio program and then turned on the TV and watched Georgia beat South Carolina in the make up game that had been cancelled on Saturday due to the storm.  I then watched the Atlanta Falcons game as they beat Denver without too much difficulty.  Pat had another good day yesterday, which is so encouraging.  While she is not without pain she at least is not crying out in pain when she moves a certain way. 

Callie, you actually couldn't taste the cauliflower in the stuffed peppers due to the seasonings and how long it was cooked on low in the crock pot.  However, it was very tasty and we have one stuffed pepper left over.  I am glad you finally got your Sunday paper as don't want you to be cranky. 

Sandy, hope it is not still raining up your way. 

Patricia, interesting story about the town of North Pole. 

June, I have a really long way to go to be called a Chef but thanks for the nice remarks.  Pat did not want the rice in the stuffed peppers and it wasn't missed in the end product. 

Jenny, know you are relieved that the trip has been completed for the move of Mark and his wife.  I hope their moving in goes well.  It wasn't Denver's day on the football field yesterday and the Atlanta Falcon's are looking pretty good so far this year.  As you say it is a team effort and while a play or two may be picked out as the cause of a loss there was 60 minutes when others on the team could have made a different the the final outcome.  Enjoy your trip to Austin.  Thanks for mentioning that Johann and Windel came through the storm in good shape. 

Lloyd, as Gloria indicted it appears only certain people would be able to see that Facebook page and therefore the link wouldn't work for others who are not in the allowed group as you are.  Obviously you are special. 

Amy, it sounds like progress in recovery is being made by your husband.  Time does wonders.

I did watch the debate last night and it was like no other debate I have ever seen.  I see the bricklayers have arrived across the street to do the brickwork on the house across the street.  They certainly have a nice day to do the work. 

Joan, our church will be sending a team to help with some of the recovery from the Hurricane and the flooding. 

deAngel, I expect there were many disappointed folks who worked hard to get ready for the fair and those who wanted to attend.  I also hope we hear from Molly and Jane soon. 

Shirley, Pat has had to carry the load for us both numerous times as I have dealt with my heart situations.  I am glad I am now able to take the burdens off of her and have generally felt like doing it.  When I get tired I sit or lay down for a little while and regenerate some energy. 

Mary Ann, nice that Tom can select the times he wants to be available to provide the Uber rides.  Our house is feeling a bit chilly this morning but hope we don't have to turn on the furnace yet. 

JoanFL

Good morning, Larry.  The local weatherman on TV said this morning is the coolest we have had since May.  I stepped out on the porch, and it sure felt nice.  GREAT that Pat continues to feel better.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

Larry, it is a mite chilly here this morning.  I turned the ceiling fan off when I got up.  But it will warm up as the sun rises.  Believe it is suppose to get into the 80's.

Wife and I went to Texas Roadhouse late yesterday afternoon and had some ribs for our supper.  Brought home enough for a meal today.  They, as usual, were falling off the bone good.

We watched the debate last night and it finally all hung out, I am surprised it took so long for it to surface in the debates.

Amy, happy to heard DH is progressing.  Hopefully he will be home in short order and up and about.  I know having to drive to hospital is more than likely a chore on it own. 

I watched most of the Dallas game yesterday.  The new QB is looking really good.  Romo may have a problem getting his job back.

Gloria, bet you like the sunny side in the winter time.  And you got the a/c to cool things in the summer.  My house faces WNW and we get the afternoon sun on the front and side and it can really heat things up.  My old a/c does get a workout.  But my patio and back yard gets lots of shade.

Joanie, thanks for breakfast.  I guess today will see folks really starting to clean up after the storm.

Coffee is ready, who wants a cup?

Lloyd Hammond

well I am sorry the link doesn't work for you all' I highlighted the address on Facebook and copped and pasted it then after posting it I clicked on it and it opened for me I thought it was OK. as soon as i can get help here i will post. they haven't named them yet one  weighed 5 lbs and the other was 1 oz less both were 18 1/2" long. the possible Names are Gracie & Lila . tough job for a young mother to name the children ( lot of advice) you know. Have a great day.

Lloyd

Lloyd Hammond

I posted on Hals Skype and page and it appers that it worked for him but hall is not answering me so do not know for sure. We talked to the mother a few min. ago. all are doing ok. c u all later'

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, halkel.  Yes, there's lots of cleaning up being done.  Many thousand still don't have power.  I'll have a cup of coffee now that the housekeepers did their job and are gone.

Lloyd--I think if you copy from someone's FB page you have to upload someplace before being able to post here.

June Drabek

Good Morning all, my computer was acting a bit lazy this morning, like me, it is getting to be a slow starter, and stubborn, but I personally won this time, so up and running.

Lloyd, your clickable took me to Facebook, and I do not subscribe to Facebook. Would love to see the babies though. Keep resting my friend. Your body is telling you something, so listen to it and obey.

Amy, I'm glad you find the staff so helpful, that's wonderful. Can give you more peace of mind, and the hospital is the very best place for him till they feel he he up to leaving. I'm sure he was ready to come home, wires and all, the moment he woke up, but don't let him win Amy. You will have your hands full soon enough. My guy wss in the hospital for 6 weeks before release. His morale was lower with each day, but the body required attention.

Larry, you really deserve a medal for doing what you have learned to do since Pat's illness. And I know she appreciates you greatly. Thank's be to God the pain is lessening, and I pray she will soon be healed completely. I too watched the debate last night, from beginning to end, and i felt they should have been wearing boxing gloves. Both of them are inclined to be temperamental, not at all adult. I wish, how I wish, we had a third candidate.

Bis, I'm so glad you could enjoy the fresh air this morning. I imagine ti must seem very fresh after all the cleansing rain and wind. I'm glad you are not responsible for cleaning up the debris. We are both blessed in that area. Have you considered at all moving near to Joe and your daughter. They are both in the same area now,correct ? I feel so extra content having Dori and Gary just 15 minutes away. And if they were to leave, I would want to follow. I don't want to live in their pocket, just near enough to feel I am not bothering them.

Hal, I would like to hear your comments on the debate, but I know this is not the place for politics.  I hope you will post your thoughts there. I just made a fresh pot of coffee..but thanks for the offer. I use Folgers brand..good.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

June--I sure am glad I don't have to clean up all the storm debris.  I have given thought to moving closer to Joe and Linda.

Denver

Happy  Columbus Day!  I guess they want to change the name to something else......I say, can't we just leave things alone???

Packing and preparing for our trip tomorrow, but I have to stop and play with this little girl a bit too.  Sure do enjoy having her here.

We did watch the debate last night and just can not believe that we really have to endure some of the subject matter that we are.  JUNE, I would delight in discussing this with you and anyone else that would like to, but it might have to be on the telephone as I am not sure I am up for a political forum!  Maybe that can be accomplished?  Will try to seek this out later.  I personally do not care which political view you have as long as you are willing to discuss facts and weigh them out?... sadly many folks I know are just not open minded at all. They are set in their minds and are not interested in weighing things out. 

JOAN, I know the thought of another move for you probably is not the acceptable, however, I for one would be very happy if you said you were moving to Alabama to be closer to your family😍

Times up, I must get my self busy again.  Sure hate to shoo my little friend off my lap, but I must! 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

JoanFL

Jenny--Guess you can't get any w--- done, with your little friend on your lap.  You are right.  The thought of another move is very overwhelming.  When I moved here it was at the urging of my daughter and my sister (then a snow bird) because they wanted me to live closer to them and now they've both up and left.  While Joe was here we talked about it but came to no conclusion.

Lindancer

For some reason, I have had to sign in with a new password, so I have lost all my other forums. It is very confusing. I have tried to get in here through my Yahoo, and they want me to change my password again. I was not able to see pictures or videos, so my computer man came to day to fix it for me. I did get the videos, but now I have to resign in to all my forums.

this is to much for and old lady.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast