Random Image

carshow4.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:48:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Windows-10

Started by RAMMEL, March 29, 2016, 08:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shirley

Rick, mine got fixed without me doing anything, kind of like your link suggests.  My biggest problem is when I go to do anything that requires knowing what "IT" wants me to do, I don't know what "they" are talking about... and I do a melt down.
Thanks for all the help in here! 

so_P_bubble

Yesterday I started a similar problem, but with my video cam! it refuses to come on in Skype! The sound works of, the cam works for taking a photo, but stays turned off in Skype.
Don was extremely frustrated (as I was) by this. Rebooting did not help, nor of course changing the slot of the USB.
Any suggestion?

so_P_bubble

Thanks Angel - I had try all the possibilities outlined in the top answer to no avail. I did not buy a new cam like that user did because my cam was working ok when not on Skype and it was not an issue of anti-virus.
My son used Team Viewer to analyse the problem and found out that Skype had simply erased the link to the camera so that it was not recognizing it. It was that simple!

I bet that was the other user's problem as well.

All is perfect now :)

angelface555

angelface555

How to Not Get Scammed by Bogus Subscription Apps

"There’s a special corner in Tech Hell reserved for app developers who try to sucker people into paying obscene amounts of money for an underwhelming product.

I’m not talking about the kinds of situations where you’re pissed off because your favorite band’s album just dropped off Spotify. Quit the service, if you must. No problem there. Instead, I’m referring to the ongoing problem of scammy or suspect apps offering subscriptions for common functionality. Or, worse, app developers that offer a super-short “free trial” that automatically converts to a subscription, and you don’t realize it until you get stuck with the bill (or bills)."

https://lifehacker.com/how-to-not-get-scammed-by-bogus-subscription-apps-1829831182?utm_source=lifehacker_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-10-18

angelface555

The Pentagon security was breached October fourth leaving "thirty thousand civilian and military employees' personal information and credit card data exposed.  At this time, there is no evidence any classified information was compromised.

Although the Pentagon just confirmed this breach, department officials reported informing leaders of the cyber attack on October 4, 2018.  The exact dates of the breach remain unclear, leaving the exact magnitude of the breach unknown.  Therefore, the number of employees impacted is expected to increase as the investigation continues.  During the ongoing investigation, the Defense Department determined the breach involved a single, undisclosed commercial vendor.  This vendor remains under contract, but the department has made assurances the vendor will be “ceasing performance under its contracts“.

As the department continues to investigate, proper notifications will be sent out to those impacted.  Officials also reported fraud protection services will be provided to all victims."

https://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2018/10/17/defense-department-breach/?pentagonbreached=&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=october_newsletter_3&ad_id=505718&share-ad-id=1

angelface555

Microsoft Launches October Windows Update, in November
The initial launch of the Windows October Update was an epic fail.  After being released for less than a week, Microsoft put a halt on any updates that had yet to initiate, so they could resolve the issues its users had been reporting.  Some of those bugs included incorrect CPU utilization, .zip issues, file-wiping problems, and driver crashes.  Microsoft opted to take their time to fix each of these issues and ensure the update executed as should.  Due to the time this took, they ended up missing their October deadline.

However, according to TechRepublic, Windows October update is now live.  If users want the update now, they will have to access it through the Windows 10 download page, here.  The latest version of the October update will also be released through the Windows Update feature; however, that release date had not yet been set.

A couple of the key features of this update include a cloud clipboard and an automatically clearing hard drive space.

As always, PC Matic encourages timely updates to all of your applications, operating systems included.  Once this update is available through the Windows Update feature, please be sure to update your PCs accordingly.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I think my upgrade happened yesterday, just as I was ready to shut down for the night, but the upgrade was half way through.  Timing is everything!

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I looked at my update history and saw I had two overnight updates, last night and the fifteenth. When I looked to see what the updates consisted of, they were basically for the Edge browser. Cloud services, screenshots, and phone, computer syncs have long been available to users on the majority of browsers.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I don't think I use any of those items.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

My new W10 computer still sitting on dining room table. Still need to get person to install. My cold and cough is not as bad but still not into being on computer much. Sleeping a lot. Think the meds I just stopped taking doing that. Of to Dr. at 1:30 today get a check up.
This windows 7 is still installing things everyother day.
JeanneP

jackwv

JeanneP, hope your cold soon is cured.  As for the windows 10 it would be nice to get it up and running, I am pleased with mine.  Now on the Windows 7 I read Microsoft doesn't plan to stop fixing security problems in Windows 7 until extended support ends. That's January 14, 2020--five years and a day from the end of mainstream support, so no rush but hope you move up to 10

JeanneP

Jack. It is still sitting on the Dining Table. Weather has been so bad last month that I just don't want any service man coming out. Also few problems I need to take up with Comcast on the TV and Wi Fi.  My whole system need to be looked at. Been same wiring for at least 8 years. Notice some of connections outside have come loose.
Just watching the storms in North and South Carolina and Virginia. Is all O.K for you and yours.
Never seen frozen fog before. That is what we are having today right now. Just returned home before it came in.
Can't see 5ft in front of you.
JeanneP

jackwv

Jeanne, no snow here.  My daughter in Va just missed it.  It passed her but 10 miles south they got 8 inches.   You should call Comcast,and should not be a charge to come out.  They should check all connections and be sure your Wifi is a late model.

angelface555

These are the worst passwords of 2018

As the year comes to a close, a lot of us are thinking back on the year that was... but  have you bothered to consider your 2018 passwords?

A good password will keep your online accounts safe, from your bank account to your Amazon account. But even though we know we should create secure passwords, a lot of us don't. Complex, unique passwords can be a nuisance to remember (especially since security experts recommend using a different password for every site), and it's easier to skip the headache and go with something simple.

However, SplashData's list of the worst passwords of 2018 — which was compiled from the millions of passwords that were hacked this year —suggests plenty of people aren't making much effort to create secure passwords. The top five passwords don't vary much from year to year... which means people keep using the same predictable passwords, which make it easy for anyone to get into their accounts. Here are this year's top 25 passwords:

1:    123456 (unchanged)
2:    password (unchanged)
3:    123456789 (up 3)
4:    12345678 (down 1)
5:    12345 (unchanged)
6:    111111 (new)
7:    1234567 (up 1)
8:    sunshine (new)
9:    qwerty (down 5)
10:    iloveyou (unchanged)
11:    princess (new)
12:    admin (down 1)
13:    welcome (down 1)
14:    666666 (new)
15:    abc123 (unchanged)
16:    football (down 7)
17:    123123 (unchanged)
18:    Monkey (down 5)
19:    654321 (new)
20:    !@#$%^&* (new)
21:    Charlie (new)
22:    aa123456 (new)
23:    donald (new)
24:    password1 (new)
25:    qwerty123 (new)

Even if you aren't a security pro, you can probably see a problem here. Seven of those passwords are simply a straight row of characters across the keyboard (presumably to whatever number of characters a particular password requires). And they aren't the only patterns on the list: "111111" and "666666" are even lazier. Then there's the perennial "password," which is certainly easy to remember — but it's also the first password any hacker will try. A variation on this basic password is also inevitably on the worst passwords list: "password1" may be a little more complicated than the simple "password," but it isn't much better. If "password" is a hacker's first guess, this will be the second.

Even worse, "123456" and "password" have made the top two spots on the worst passwords list for six years in a row. That implies that not only are these lousy passwords getting used, but they keep getting used.

New to the list this year was "donald," debuting in the #23 slot. And while it's a bit better than "password," setting your password to the name of the president still isn't very secure.

So how can you keep your online accounts — and thus your personal information — safe? The first step is making sure none of your none of your password are on SplashData's worst passwords of the year list. If you are, you should log on and change them immediately.

Continued on:  https://www.techlicious.com/blog/worst-passwords-2018/?utm_source=Techlicious+List&utm_campaign=0b772906a1-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5ee95b0b14-0b772906a1-189582833

RAMMEL

Tonight for the last hour I've been getting a message that Windows wants to do an update. I've been clicking "Later" but it comes back in 15 or so minutes.  I would guess that if I shut down it will just do it.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Rick, I got that message yesterday afternoon and decided to let it update.  It didn't take long and I had a message that I should not shut off the computer.  I suppose that is while the update is going on.  I thought of assigning a date in the middle of the night as some of them do, but I didn't.  It may have taken 15 minutes. 

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

As expected, mine was done at shutdown. Rather quick and all seems well today.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JeanneP

I am trying to find the Tool bar on this W10. It ran across the top on my Windows Seven. Sure miss so many things on this 10. Sure they are buried in here someplace. I used the Tool bar a lot
On other thing I can't get to work is the sound. Can bring things up like in the  Music songs I have on and the Vidios from the ones posted in the PHOTO's  in here
JeanneP

RAMMEL

Quote from: JeanneP on February 13, 2019, 10:39:44 PMI am trying to find the Tool bar on this W10. It ran across the top on my Windows Seven. Sure miss so many things on this 10. Sure they are buried in here someplace. I used the Tool bar a lot
On other thing I can't get to work is the sound. Can bring things up like in the  Music songs I have on and the Vidios from the ones posted in the PHOTO's  in here
Right click on an unused part of the dark area at the top. In the menu that opens select "Menu Bar".  -------- Is this what is missing?  If not, what things are missing?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

JeanneP

Rammal. I have tried that clicking on the Dark part and findin the TOOL bar. Now a drop down for Task Bar found. Maybe not understanding the Dark Part. I have Googled and many people seem to be wanting to find TOOL on W10. Not a good answer yet.
JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

Just cant get where the size and colour stay.
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Don't try: we all have to do the coding each time. It does not "stay"

donklan

Quote from: JeanneP on February 18, 2019, 02:17:12 PMRammal. I have tried that clicking on the Dark part and findin the TOOL bar. Now a drop down for Task Bar found. Maybe not understanding the Dark Part. I have Googled and many people seem to be wanting to find TOOL on W10. Not a good answer yet.
Jeanne....Which TOOL icons are you looking for?

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

donklan

Which browser do you use...Chrome...Firefox...Internet Explorer...or Microsoft Edge?

JeanneP

i am using  firefox i believe. Still cant find my way around this w10. but now have the book to study soon
JeanneP

donklan

When using Firefox, the Menu Bar is shown top left including File..Edit..View..etc
If you don't see that, Right-Click in the colored bar at the top...a menu appears and you can CHECK "Menu Bar".
This is the same suggestion Rick made previously.....