Random Image

birthday cake

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAMMEL

My 2¢ --
For a chuckle, --- I've cut my wife's hair three or four times in recent history. Surely not like a pro but passable :2funny:
When we were first married I did a dye job on her to "restore" a botched dye job she and one of her friends did. She tried for red but it came out orange. I thought I came home to the wrong apartment.  :2funny:    :knuppel2: I fixed it and got a well done from her mother (the last good thing she said about me).

OPENING JARS - A very handy and inexpensive helper is a "Jar Pop". It works great on lids that are vacuum sealed. It just lifts the edge enough to break the vacuum which is enough to make it easy to open. They were only a couple of bucks when we got a couple but I see now Amazon is in the $8 area (still worth it IMHO). Google it.
Or see demo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6wwLB6oIJ0
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Re, opening tight jar lids, I run the top, the rim of the jar under a tap of not too hot water and find that usually does the trick, the lid then turns - snaps off easy... ;)

Rammel...
....ha ha, dont talk to me about botched hair colours...I used to have envious " natural " blond hair, when at lunchtime at home one time from school in my young teens, I found a discarded red bottle in our dustbin and you guessed it, yes I experimented  just to see how my hair would look, bright orange...When I went back to school, my punishment was to be sent straight back home, I remember the rest of the class laughing...

Over the years mainly my 20's, I often had hairdresser perms then straight on top at home I would put a dark brown " permanent " hair colour on top, the one thing we are not supposed to do, my scalp often burnt...And yes, once I home bleached it soon after a perm and people remarked on the green tint in my hair...
" There is no present like the time "

so_P_bubble

Here are three live statues that stood "sitting on air" at the Purim festival, on the main pedestrian street.

Live statue 1.jpgLive statue 2.jpgLive statue 3.jpg

FlaJean

Forgive my ignorance but Is there a particular meaning for each statue having to do with Purim?  Are they an artist's idea of Esther?  Anyway—-interesting.

so_P_bubble

No meaning here, just the imagination of the artist.  The first one is supposed to be an angel with white wings deployed

Joy

Bubble,  I am a little confused.    You did write in the caption for the statues that they were "live"  statues ?   What in the world is keeping them "suspended in air" ?   I think they are really beautiful in a way.  Maybe I am missing something???LOL

I am afraid I do not really know the actual meaning of the Purim holiday. That is something I must look up later when I have a little more time.  Sounds so interesting.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

Joy, I'll let Bubble explain her photos, but "The jolly festival of Purim is celebrated every year on the 14th of the Hebrew month of Adar (late winter/early spring). Purim 2019 begins on Wednesday night, March 20, and continues through Thursday, March 21 (March 22 in Jerusalem). It commemorates the salvation of the Jewish people in ancient Persia from Haman's plot "to destroy, kill and annihilate all the Jews, young and old, infants and women, in a single day," as recorded in the Megillah (book of Esther)."

https://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/645309/jewish/What-Is-Purim.htm

https://www.chabad.org/holidays/purim/article_cdo/aid/1456808/jewish/Why-Do-We-Dress-Up-on-Purim.htm

angelface555

For those who favor the Duluth cams, here is one of the first ships' arriving. I was able to get such a nice screenshot as the view kept freezing.

2019 First ship Duluth.jpg

Mary Ann

Thanks, Patricia, I noticed too that the screen was freezing.  I left that site and went to the Bridge, then down the line to the Harbor site and the ship is in the harbor now.  You got a very good shot because of the freeze.

Tom sent me an article and video of the Cort going through the Soo Locks.  They wanted to be the first ship through, during the new shipping season so they anchored by the lock so they could be #1 and go through at midnight Sunday night. 

I thought there were quite a few people watching the Cort come in and I noticed several school-age children. 

The next ship is scheduled for 4 pm Duluth time.  If I have nothing else going on, I'll try to watch it.

I was sure there was a post by Marilyn telling that AJ was getting along fine after his tooth extraction, but I can't find the post.  My computer is doing strange things so it is no surprise that I can't find her post.  I hope he continues to feel good.

I'm ready for a nap and maybe this computer needs one too.  I am going to see what is going on elsewhere - at least where I read.

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

posting for GloriaZ

Marjory "June" Drabek ~ November 30, 1924 to March 6, 2019

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble-Gloria...
...thank you, I know June loved life, and it shows in this photo, also an elegant looking lady, who was always looking at life on the positive and bright side...I remember the postings I made with her re, our Soda Shoppe soon after I became a new member, just how welcoming she was.....

Shirley

The smile says it all, unconditionally happy with her life. She taught us to enjoy what we can do and understand when we are tested, to bow to God's will and enjoy what is left. I have no doubt in her Heaven she is surrounded by love and joy, being with all she so graceously gave up during her life time. She showed great Faith that there is Eternal Happiness. She will be missed by all that knew her. Sincere sympathy for family and friends. Shirley/Tisie

Amy

Bubble thank you for posting this for Gloria.
Shirley, well said. June was a special lady to many.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Thank you Bubble and Gloria for sharing our lovely and loving JUNE with all of us.  She was unfalteringly kind and thoughtful of others and she truly loved life.  She also truly looked forward to her life with God and now she's enjoying that.  Our loss....God's gain!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Mary Ann

Thanks to Gloria and Bubble.  Periodically a picture of June has shown up in the Random Image that appears at the left on my screen.  I don't know if it is the same one that Gloria had but I was going to suggest that someone find the source of the picture and post it in the Bereavement folder (if that still exists).  That is not necessary now.  A great picture.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

June was such a lovely lady.  She made me smile the times she talked of dancing using her walker.  That was before she moved and was still a little active in attending the various programs where she was living.  She seemed very happy with her life and her family, but we always miss our dear S&F friends.

I still often think of Jeanne Lee and Bunny who were so helpful to me in posting photos and answering my questions.

Lindancer

Bubble  and Gloria  So many thanks

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Radioman34

June

The passing of June is a loss to all of us. May her memory be blessing to all of us.

Shirley

Rick, I can picture the orange hair... I did it to myself once "back in the day". Everyone was bleaching a streak in front so I gave it a try. My pitch black hair had the brightest orange streak you ever saw. I was going for white. When I started dying the gray well before 30, I had to use Clairol velvet black to match & just brushed it in. Not a good idea as one wall would get sprayed & a mess to clean up. I don't think I would have trusted my husband with black dye, the thought scares me! That is an interesting opener, too late, this one does the trick. Where were you when I was crying for help?  I bought 2 that did not work at all for me. Ah, well.......

Nice shot of the ship, Patricia. I've been busy with yard work & haven't had time to look at cams for a couple weeks. Still hope to take a pic of the miniature jonquils, blooming their little hearts out.

Bubble, are those the live humans that can pose so still for a long time, can hardly see them breathe or blink? Really is quite a festival with everyone joining in. Thanks for the pictures.... so how did you retrieve them? 

I'm so sleepy tonight I can't think. Been on the go all day & 5 hours 45 min sleep... but only a few minutes of deep sleep. When I know I will be gone most of the day I plan all night before every step of the day, and nothing goes as planned. Did get the oil changed in my car & almost bought a new one but managed to talk myself out of it. Mine is about 7 years old so know it's getting close to start needing work. So far only oil changes & best running car I've ever owned. Love it & afraid there will never be another so trouble free. But, with a brother 93 & sister is 88, both several hundred miles away, I want a car I can jump in & go for emergencies when I can't take the RV. I asked the guys (dealership) today if mine was "safe to drive out of state"... they assured me that I could drive to either coast without any trouble, even tires. I am still in that fear mode when cars would just quit... something broke (hose or water pump... lots of parts to go bad)... but I am "still running".

Thinking of all the interesting, helpful & fun people.... remember Glenn Curtis, Gladys, Rae & Bunnie.... so many. I recall what a fantastic photographer Pat Scott is & was. Everyone left a special mark on our memory.

One more meal for the cats and I am heading to bed. The wind today was so irritating.... I pulled into one parking spot & started to open the door but held on tight as the wind tried to rip it wide open. I back out & parked the opposite direction so anybody that parked next to me wouldn't let a door slam into mine. I was driving a Ford conversion van one time when the wind caught the door & I was hanging on so tight it pulled me out onto the ground and nearly bent the door backwards. Lots of wind this year.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Shirley on March 27, 2019, 10:28:09 PMWhere were you when I was crying for help?  I bought 2 that did not work at all for me. Ah, well.......
I was probably in the wrong State. I was in the Navy and at Charleston, SC - Too poor or cheap to have a professional do it so it was a take what you can get deal for my wife. Luckily I followed directions and it worked out OK. Would have been hard to mess up what I started with.
Those were the days - young and foolish.  :nanadance:

We'll all miss June.  A very nice person, always with a good word.  :(
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

Re, June Drabek...Jack wv, has looked in and offers his prayers...

...email from Jack, quoting: " Jackie, I looked in yesterday and saw the sad news.    Know she will be missed, and will offer prayers up for her."
Doing fine with Mimi at my side.  Today to be a good one so off to the park.

Shirley

Got out for pics but nothing came out too great. Was that time of day NOT to take photos (you remember, take before 10:00am or after 4:00pm)... but here's my daffodils or jonquils, not sure what the difference is and the forsythia starting to bloom.

Glad you heard from Jack, Jackie.... & passed the word on that he is okay. Thanks.

Shirley

Okay, I'm experimenting with sizes and the online resizer.... can't win 'em all.

Haha, Rick, we weren't afraid to take on the world back then, were we? 

Vanilla-Jackie

Shirley...
...dont know what we can do to get Jack back...got any ideas? :thinking:

Rammel- Shirley...weren't we all..." young and foolish? "

so_P_bubble

Quote from: Shirley on March 27, 2019, 10:28:09 PMBubble, are those the live humans that can pose so still for a long time, can hardly see them breathe or blink? Really is quite a festival with everyone joining in. Thanks for the pictures.... so how did you retrieve them? 
[/color][/size]

Yes that is exactly what those live statues are.
 Incredible how they can stay like that for hours.  I have no idea how they seem to float on air, except that there is some kind of seat on pole hidden by they clothing I suppose.

I did not retrieve my lost photos :( These three were taken by my carer on his smart phone. He shared with me.
[/color][/size]

Shirley

Tell him thanks, Bubble, was great that he shared! I've never actually seen anyone that could hold so still and always wondered how they manage to not fall off their pedestal laughing, I would, how about you?

Amy

Shirley the forsythia is lovely!! My daffys are buried under snow still.

Bubble great photos!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

so_P_bubble

Shirl, I get dizzy when not on firm earth, so would never try it.  In Belgium we saw many such statues, but just standing in the pedestrian streets. I have a picture of Illy somewhere next to  one.
 They also have them in the Museum, as   display, and they suddenly come to life when a tourist gets too near to take a picture, or try to touch  "the texture" of the art!

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble...
...I have seen something similar in the centre of London ( UK ) how they manage to keep so still is beyond me, of course the fun was when watching a tourist touch one, they would get the fright of their life..

Radioman34

Many friendships are formed here in the residence and here is an example. Believe it or not, at age 85 I am the youngest in this group.Don and two new friends.jpg