Random Image

Fe with butterfly

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:59:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Gripes

Started by Jeanne Lee, April 08, 2016, 12:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeanne Lee

This will be a place to complain about anything that bothers you.   :D

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Sandy

My biggest gripe is that
the "political season"  has turned into "Years"
and has completely taken over cable news
here in the USA....   

We hardly get any Regular News Cycles... 

If it  isn't Political,  then it is something to do with
Mass Shootings or other Tragedies,  where ever
they are in the World,  or at least in the World that
THEY want us here in the USA,  to know about,  Politically. 

Thank Goodness for Netflix and Amazon Prime ....   
At least I have that to go to to escape the
insanity of todays so called news cycles.

Sandy
:crazy2:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

wjoan

Thanks Jeanne Lee.  :)

Jeanne Lee

Sandy

Well,  I am full of grips this weekend,
so I am going to get them out of my system,  and
forget-about-it !

My gripe is about the Master's PGA Golf Tournament
this week.   

I have been faithfully putting it on the Golf Channel at
9AM EST so far  for three days.       But unfortunately,
they don't seem to be following the actual golfers
in real time until after 3 PM..   

All they do is talk talk talk and prognosticate about
who could win,  who will win and who might win.   

I could care less about what they have to say,  and would
just love to see all the players actually playing golf,
in less then perfect conditions. 

I just need to stop complaining and start watching. 
I may just turn off the sound and watch...   I think
that I would enjoy it more. 

And perhaps put on the  "Dr Who" series on Amazon  Com
which is much more interesting to listen to .

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

Sandy

Opps.... 

I forgot to thank Jeanne Lee for
giving us a place to gripe.

I know that I feel much better now that I
have my two off my chest! 

Phew...    (Another burden lifted!)
Thanks again,  Jeanne!

Sandy'

― Carl Sagan

Jeanne Lee

Mary Ann

Sandy, you do know the Masters is not on the Golf Channel, don't you?  Sunday it will start at 2 pm on CBS.  I wish they'd start earlier, but they don't.  Today it began at 3 pm and I watched it until 7:30 when it was over. 

Mary Ann    

RAMMEL

Yesterday my gripe was --------------- everything. A real stinko day :(   >:(

Today I just hate all those "newscasters" that are compelled to sing their reports. What ever happened to Announcers School?

TV - The vast wasteland.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick - Explain what you mean by newscasters "singing their reports"?  Usually all the crazy fads start here in California, but that's one I've never heard of?

angelface555

Trouble is that they are not newscasters, broadcasters or reporters. They are people hired to read the news off teleprompters and look congenial while doing so.They also must abide by the slant, bias or spin expected by the channel's owners and majority advertisers.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Marilyne on April 10, 2016, 12:29:10 AM
Rick - Explain what you mean by newscasters "singing their reports"?  Usually all the crazy fads start here in California, but that's one I've never heard of?
They read like they are reading a kids story to a bunch of first graders. They try to sound mysterious, surprised, happy, etc, with voice pitch varying. At times I think they are telling me it is secret because they drop their voice to levels so low you can't understand them.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

phyllis

>:(    Ditto to all of the above.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

Rick, YES, now I know what you mean!  While watching our local ABC news between 5 and 5:30, there is a nightly "teaser" report from David Muir, about what's on the upcoming World News.  He appears every night with a worried face, and a frightening report, that, "A massive spring storm cripples the entire East Coast!" - or, "Your blood pressure medication could be causing Alzheimer's Disease!"  Stay tuned for all the gruesome details!  If you do stay tuned, which we don't, the stories are never as earth shaking as he makes them sound.   

phyllis

The only saving grace with the David Muir report is that almost always they will end the show with an upbeat story.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Marilyne

phyllis - I think that all three major networks usually end the nightly news with an upbeat, or what they call a "fluff" story.  We prefer NBC or CBS, but they're all pretty much the same.  You do get so you like the personalities of certain news anchors - and others, not so much.   

angelface555

When I was in University speech classes, they taught us a small trick. If you wanted people to listen, you lowered your voice slightly at the end of a sentence. If you wanted people to engage and question, you raised your voice slightly at the end of a sentence. This is what these news readers are doing but obviously not too well as it isn't supposed to be noticeable or obvious.

One network actually used this for a defense in 2003 when accused of libel. They stated that the people were only reading the news given to them and not reporting it when brought up on FCC charges.

RAMMEL

Or ------------------ Coming up, Great cancer advance ----------------------------right after this.  Then several commercials, ----------------------- then some other stories ------------- Oh, no more time.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

CallieOK

The newscasters on one of our local stations begin stories with "You're not going to believe......" or "Listen to this...", using a shocked tone of voice.
My son and one of them were classmates and I know his mother well.  So I'm pretty sure he is following orders because he never speaks that way in person - and, if he did, he would probably be chastised.

halkel

I always love the "advertisement" they insert about what is going to be "news" tomorrow or at 10 PM.   

Sandy, Golf channel never has the Masters  the golf playing itself, it is all just interviews.  But thank goodness the Augusta club only allows 5 minutes of commercials every hour.  Otherwise it would all be commercials with a little golf in between.  And we get a full screen view of things.  Some of the shows now days have so much "crap" on the screen you can hardly tell what show is on. The cable news channels has no only scrolls but other junk.

Mary Ann

Hal, I don't watch many TV channels, mostly "fluff" ones, but I tell myself I'm watching commercials with a little of a program between.  I think commercials are about four minutes long and in between isn't much different.

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee

How about the women who screech?  Or the ones that talk through the nose?

RAMMEL

Quote from: Jeanne Lee on April 19, 2016, 04:18:30 PM
How about the women who screech?  Or the ones that talk through the nose?
Major Network Newscasters.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Mary Ann

Young women on TV today talk too fast and they have such screechy voices - very  unpleasant.

One thing that gripes me no end is the amount of prescription medicines advertised and the ever present ad about asbestos sufferers who should file claims.  Those ads have been on TV forever/

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Or how about those ads for "personal items to enhance one's love life" which run during the evening news shows.  Yuck!
One of my friends hated that when his grandson was about 10.  It brought up questions he didn't want to talk to the boy about.

Sue

Mary Ann

Sue,I watch the golf channel and those ads are numerous during the tours.  I also hate to see the women's personal ads.  I put the TV on mute and close my eyes a lot.  Of course, I go to sleep and miss parts of the program, too!!!  I guess I'm showing my age.

Mary Ann

angelface555

I used to say that this was why I no longer watched television for commercials and the news bias, including no real reporters, only "news readers." There no longer are any reporters or newscasters and anyone who may believe otherwise is naive.

However I can no longer say that. I have been going along blissfully for years using Adaware and then Adaware plus which allows you to never see an advert until now. The NBC computer site has gotten wise and now they and other sites will no longer allow you to watch their content unless you disable any software that prevents ads that interfere with their programing.

The regular computer news is still not too bad although I have to suffer through excited rambles about the Kardasians or "Honey Boo Boo" who is some fat little girl who evidently made her parents millions by some reality show. I had previously thought that the Disney Channel  was in the lead for spoiled idiots? Now who knows?

Since I don't care for frenzied political propaganda nor do I care for over paid bloated reality stars, (My life does not depend on who marries who or sleeps with whomever!); I tend to watch BBC and some other foreign news programs although I do watch USA Today.

halkel

Angel, check out www.drudgereport.com it has lots of news reports from all over the world.  But here lately it is edging into the sex world of news.

I tend to read the news analysis columnist.  You know their political leanings but you can "read around" those and get some real facts you wont find elsewhere/otherwise.  Also sometimes you get some real laughs at their point of view.

angelface555

Thanks Hal, perhaps I will try that. I am so tired of "fluff" reporting.

Now do you have any idea on what to do about every seeming site using a handwritten font? I always seem to be squinting and scrunching trying to read the type and usually simply give up.

I just looked at your drudgereport.com. That isn't a news bias. That is a news propaganda site with no objectivity in site!

But thank you anyway.

halkel

Angel, I haven't run into the "script" on websites.  Could it be that you have your web browser setting that way?  Also have you tried using the "cnrl" "+" function to increase the font size?