Random Image

Main Street - 3

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:23:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Good news regarding the Indexes for the recipes shared here.  I have now been able to update the Indexes for the new recipes added since the update in the software.  I also added in the header of the Indexes a link back to the message where I had posted the link to the old SeniorNet Recipe Index.  That Index had all the categories associated with that one link. 

Again, if you find a link that doesn't work or a recipe that I missed getting added to the Index please let me know.  I checked all of the updates I did today and they all were working after I did the update.

so_P_bubble

What a job well done.  Thanks Larry for your great help.

angelface555

Larry, that link doesn't work for me as it only returns me here.  If anyone does access then would you let me know?

JeanneP

Great job Larry. Hope lots of people enjoying all your Hard work.
JeanneP

FlaJean

I made my "Meatloaf for Two" yesterday and we have plenty left for today plus a couple of sandwiches.  We just don't eat that much anymore.  The recipe makes two meat loaves 1/4 lb. each and we still have plenty.  If anyone is interested I'll post the recipe.  Lately we have just been sharing a Jersey Mac philly sandwich or a Firehouse turkey and bacon sub a couple of times a week and not cooking as many meals.  It seems to work for us.

angelface555

Larry, I am still unable to access your links.
Jean, I would love a copy of your meatloaf recipe!

Here is another recipe from the Spruce Eats.  Sausage, egg and cheese savory muffins;

"These simple, make-ahead breakfast muffins are the perfect solution to that all too common dilemma. Each one is loaded with sausage, eggs, cheddar cheese, and even spinach for a healthy boost. That's protein, dairy, carbs, and even your greens in one easy-to-eat package!

The main ingredients in this recipe are sausage, cheese, and spinach, but you can also substitute bacon or ham as the main protein and swap in other vitamin-packed greens like cooked kale. For muffins with more of a sweet-savory twist, drop in a 1/4 cup of diced apples along with the maple syrup.

Cutting the butter into the flour mixture gives them a biscuit-like texture. The result is a flaky, delicious handheld meal that'll please kids and adults alike.

These easy muffins can be kept in the deep freezer for up to 3 months or in the refrigerator for 5 days."

Ingredients

8 ounces breakfast sausage (uncooked and with casings removed)
    3/4 cup frozen chopped spinach (thawed and drained)
    2 cups flour
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    6 tablespoons butter (unsalted)
    1 1/4 cups buttermilk
    2 eggs
    1 teaspoon maple syrup
    1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    1 tablespoon of chives (finely chopped)

Steps to Make It

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Coat a muffin tin generously with cooking spray or melted butter.

Cook the breakfast sausage in a cast iron skillet on medium-high heat. Break up the sausage as it cooks and continue cooking until it is not longer pink and is completely cooked through.  Drain and remove from the heat. Add the spinach to the sausage.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground pepper in a large bowl.

Cut the butter into chunks and add it to the flour mixture. Use a pastry cutter or two forks to cut the butter into the flour until it is completely incorporated. 

Whisk the eggs and buttermilk together and then add it to the flour and butter mixture. Stir until combined and add in the sausage and spinach mixture, maple syrup, and the shredded cheddar. Stir until everything is incorporated. Divide the batter evenly among the greased muffin tins.

Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool slightly before taking them out from the tins to finish cooling on a cooling rack. Eat them warm or allow them to completely cool before transferring them to a plastic bag to freeze them. You can also store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat them.

angelface555

From Yummly.com, Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes. This makes a great company or holiday dish!

Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 8 Servings

Ingredients

2 sweet potatoes (medium, 4 cups, cut into 1" cubes)
    2 apples (medium, about 2 cups, cut into 1" cubes)
    3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted & divided) or 3 Tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Step 1. Roast Sweet Potatoes Alone

Sweet potatoes take longer to get fully cooked and browned than apples, which is why it is very important to roast the sweet potatoes alone first.

To do this, toss the cubed sweet potatoes with melted coconut oil or olive oil  and sea salt. Then, roast the sweet potatoes until they just start to become golden-brown (about 15-20 minutes), stirring once.

It's important to roast the sweet potatoes alone so they become crispy. If added in the beginning, the liquid from the apples and maple syrup will cause the sweet potatoes to be soggy.

Step 2. Add the Apples, Maple Syrup and Cinnamon.

While the sweet potato cubes are baking, toss the apples with the remaining coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon in a large bowl until everything is well combined.

Once the sweet potatoes begin to brown, remove them from the oven and add the rest of the ingredients to the pan, stirring to combine. Spread the sweet potatoes and apples evenly in the pan in a single layer so they cook quickly and brown nicely.
Use room temperature ingredients.

This is an important note in this Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples recipe. Coconut oil is a solid at room temperature, which means that if the melted coconut oil comes into contact with a cold piece of apple, it will solidify almost instantly. This will result in an uneven distribution of ingredients!  ** This is why I use olive oil.

Step 3. Bake the Cinnamon Sweet Potatoes and Apples until golden brown

Return the pan to the oven and bake until the sweet potatoes and apples are browned and the maple syrup has caramelized, or thickened. At this point, remove the pan from the oven and serve immediately!

You could sprinkle them with pomegranate seeds and top them with fresh rosemary too.

I do recommend serving them fresh from the oven! Letting these Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Apples sit too long at room temperature might cause them to lose some of their crispiness!

FlaJean

Meatloaf for Two

1 egg
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup crushed saltines
3 tablespoons chopped onions
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon rubbed sage
Dash pepper
1/2 pound lean ground beef

Topping for meatloaf
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Directions

In a large bowl, beat egg.  Add milk, Cracker crumbs, onion, salt, sage
And pepper.  Crumble beef over mixture and mix well.  Shape two loaves
And place in a shallow pan coated with cooking spray.
Combine the ketchup, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce.  Spoon
Over meatloaves.  

Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 45 minutes and temperature reads 160 degrees.
Yield two mini loaves

FlaJean

Angel, Both of those recipes sound really good.  I have some sausage in the freezer and I have the buttermilk so am going to make them in the next couple of days.

angelface555

Thanks Jean! Have you ever tried using a muffin tin for the recipe or making the mix beforehand and freezing it to cook later on busy days?

I've used the egg sausage muffin recipe before and froze them. The muffins are terrific thawed for snacks or a quick breakfast.

angelface555

The Rock's Recipes' Newfoundland's Figgy Duff

"First for those of you reading without benefit of Newfoundland experience, Newfoundland Figgy Duff has nothing to do with figs, dried fresh or otherwise. Raisins are historically referred to as figs in many parts of the province.

This recipe is, of course, a close cousin to the Blueberry Duff, which is still made throughout the year using frozen blueberries but is especially good at the beginning of the summer blueberry season.

A recent email request and this mornings brunch prompted me to add my standard recipe for Figgy Duff. A young lady from the southern US who is married to a Newfoundlander asked for assistance in preparing this dish. I was reluctant to answer with a definitive recipe because I don't believe that one actually exists.

I have encountered many variations of what people call Figgy Duff here in Newfoundland. Family history and local variations of the recipe account for many differences in both opinion and experience of what Figgy Duff actually is. It is a close cousin to the traditional English Spotted Dick where, I suspect, a part of our English and Irish heritage has survived over the centuries in this dish.

This is a slight variation on my grandmother, Belinda Morgan's recipe, where I remember having it at many a Sunday dinner in her Port-de-Grave kitchen. A similar recipe with the addition of molasses and spices I have heard referred to as Labrador Duff.

Other recipe variations I have seen include breadcrumbs, orange zest or currants but I have never attempted any of those.

To debate what is a proper Figgy Duff is to engage in the silliest of arguments. It is futile to argue the virtues of one over the other because it is impossible to overcome the power of the inextricably entwined memories that people associate with such things.

It is much more interesting to me to explore and appreciate the differences than to debate them. There is no right and wrong here, just differences of experience.

One of my indulgences is to pan fry thick slices of the leftovers in butter for brunch the next day and serve it with molasses. (Time to put a cardiologist on retainer!)

A couple of British friends tell me that this is commonly done with the leftover Christmas pudding back in the UK as well. Throw a couple of slices of the leftover Christmas ham into the pan with it and you are definitely good until supper. 😉"

Newfoundland Figgy Duff
Prep Time
10 mins
Cook Time
1 hr 30 mins
Total Time
1 hr 40 mins

Course: Side Dish
Cuisine: Newfoundland
Servings: 8 Servings
Author: Barry C. Parsons
Ingredients

2 cups flour
    ½ cup sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/3 cup melted butter
    ¾ cup milk
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 cup raisins

Sift together the flour sugar and baking powder.
    Add the raisins and toss well.
    Add the milk, melted butter and vanilla.
    Mix all together with a wooden spoon just until a soft dough is formed. Put dough into a pudding steamer or a wet heavy cotton pudding bag, tying the bag with a piece of butcher string but leaving about an inch of slack at the top to allow the pudding to expand. Boil for approximately 1 1/2 hours. This is most often done in the pot with the boiled root vegetables, cabbage and salt beef included in a Jiggs Dinner but can be done in a pot on its own as well.

Recipe Notes

Note: you can substitute the sugar for ½ cup molasses and adjust the milk accordingly to form the proper consistency of the dough. Spices like 1 tsp cinnamon and ½ tsp allspice can also be added as variations
Traditionally served with a roast dinner or Jiggs Dinner but also served as a dessert with a rum butter sauce.

For those who have been asking, there is an alternative to the pudding bag. You can get a pudding steamer on Amazon.

leftover sauce can be stored for a couple of weeks in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can also use rum extract if you don't want the alcohol.

JeanneP

I grew up with Figgy Pudding as we called them In Lancashire. UK. Steams in clothes. Never way them made in the pan with Veg. Maybe get by if in a pudding basin. Would serve with either a custard or white sauce. Now we did the same way with Steak Puddings steamed. in Rags. Jam pudding same. Miss that kind of food. Puts the weight on though....
JeanneP

Mary Ann

I used to make a plum pudding that was steamed on the top of the stove.  I also made a similar pudding using cranberries.  I haven't made them in years but I still have the molds that I used.  I also used the molds for jello salads.  That was when I had someone living with me - my dad, later Tom.  I had forgotten about the puddings until the topic came up here.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

This is really a delicious recipe that even I can make and I am not a cook.

Crock Pot Peanut Clusters Candy - From Flora M's Kitchen

When you've had a taste of this delectable confection you won't believe how simple it is.  You'll be amazed how it always comes out and never fails.

1-One pound jar of Planters Lightly Salted Dry Roasted Peanuts
1-One pound jar of Planters Unsalted Dry Roasted Peanuts
1-12 oz. Pack of Nestles Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1-12 oz. Pack Nestles White Chocolate Chips
1-One pound pack of Vanilla Bark (find with Chocolate Chips aisle)

Directions:  Pour peanuts into large Crock Pot:  add chips and chocolate bark.  Cover and turn on low setting.  Now, go polish your car, or read a book.  Come back in an hour or so.  Stir with a large spoon coating all the peanuts.  Spoon onto waxed paper - whatever size is appropriate for you and let harden.

Keep crock pot on until all candy has been spooned out -no big rush.  This is a generous recipe and you will have a gracious plenty.  Keeps fresh in plastic bag or container, but don't expect it to last very long because each morsel is filled with a wonderful taste of chocolate and is chocked full of peanuts.  Enjoy!

FlaJean

Definitely saving that recipe—-sounds delicious.

JeanneP

It is almost as simple as the 3 item turtles.
JeanneP

larryhanna

JeanneP, I think I could make the Chocolate Turtles with the same recipe by substituting the pecans for the peanuts and may try that next year if I am up to making the candy.

FlaJean

Good idea about the chocolate turtles which are a favorite of mine.

JeanneP

Larry. I just buy Walnuts. Use a lot of them. Never been able to eat peanuts since a child. Certain things stick in my throat. Same with Celery.certain Lettuce.Skins on fruits. few other things. I have even tried making peanuts in to halves .Dr. have watched on xrays when doing it. its Weird. 
JeanneP

larryhanna

I thought I would share the recipe for the Instant Pot or Pressure Cooker Cabbage Soup that we have enjoyed recently. 

Pressure Cooker Cabbage Soup

Ready for this easy pressure cooker cabbage soup recipe? If you love your Instant Pot and cabbage then this may become your favorite dinner ever! 

Course Appetizer, Entree, Main Course, Soup

Cuisine American

Keyword cabbage, easy, instant pot, pressure cooker, soup, stuffed cabbage

Prep Time 15 minutes

Cook Time 12 minutes

Total Time 27 minutes

Servings 6

Calories 409kcal

Author The Typical Mom
Ingredients
  • 1 lb ground sausage 1/2 regular and 1/2 lb. spicy is best
  • 1 c onion diced
  • 1 tbsp garlic minced
  • 1 jar spaghetti sauce 24 oz
  • 1 can diced tomatoes petite, 14.5 oz.
  • 32-40 oz beef broth depending on how soupy you want it
  • 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2-1 c rice depending on how much you want inside your soup, we add 1 cup - uncooked white rice
  • 6 c cabbage cut into 2x2" squares, cubed then separate chunks
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
Instructions
  • Turn your pressure cooker to saute and add your olive oil, diced onion and 1 lb. of ground sausage. Add minced garlic about half way thru. Cook until sausage is no longer pink then turn your pot OFF.
  • Dump your can of diced tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, Worc. sauce, and broth into your pot and stir. (we add 32 oz. of broth, then add another cup when it is all done if we want it thinner/soupier)
  • Pour your uncooked white rice into your liquid, DO NOT Stir. Separate the leaves in your chunks of cubed cabbage and measure out about 6 cups.
  • Put your 6 cups of cubed cabbage leaves into your Instant Pot and gently push down into your liquid.
  • Put your lid on, close your steam valve, and push your rice button.
  • It will automatically set to low, for 12 minutes.
  • Do a quick release when done and enjoy, great with some shredded parmesan on top!

Here is the source of the recipe:  https://temeculablogs.com/pressure-cooker-cabbage-soup/

JeanneP

http://dlsh.it/cOHfOkh https://iambaker.net/amish-sugar-cookies/ https://

I had 3 recipes copied on my wordpad but looks like I lost them
JeanneP

JeanneP

http://dlsh.it/cOHfOkh

Jeanne Pentecost <gmjeannep2@gmail.com>

1:12 PM (3 hours ago)

JeanneP

larryhanna

JeanneP, I added the two recipes you posted.  I put the Amish Sugar Cookies in the Desserts Index and the second one for Tamale Pie in the Miscellaneous Index.

JeanneP

Thanks

I need to make the Tamale pie this week. Easy to find now
JeanneP

angelface555

Thank you Larry, for indexing all of these recipes for us!

From The Spruce eats, Appetizers; Bacon-Wrapped Parmesan-Stuffed Dates

Total: 27 mins  Prep: 15 mins Cook: 12 mins Yield: 18 servings

"Only three simple ingredients create this very delicious hors-d'oeuvres. Sticky, rich dates are stuffed with quality Parmesan cheese, wrapped with smokey bacon and baked to perfection. Amazing! Recipe courtesy of Chef Wolfgang Puck."

Ingredients
    18 large dates (preferably Medjool, slit lengthwise and pitted)
    18 pieces (good-quality Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano, each about 1 by 1/4 inch)
    6 slices bacon (good-quality, smoked, cut crosswise into thirds)

Steps to Make It
Position an oven rack in the middle of the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
 Insert a piece of Parmesan into each date. Then, wrap each date with 1 piece of bacon, securing it with a wooden toothpick. Arrange the dates 1 inch apart in a shallow baking pan. Bake for 5 minutes. Then, using tongs, turn the dates over. Continue baking until the bacon is crisp, 5 to 6 minutes longer.
With the tongs, transfer the dates to paper towels to drain, carefully patting them dry with more paper towels. Serve immediately.

angelface555

Re MaryAnn:

Easy Eggs Florentine with Baby Spinach and Goat Cheese

When you don't have time to whip up hollandaise and poach eggs -- make this shortcut version of eggs florentine.
Source: Everyday Food, April 2008
25 mins       25 mins   4
Total Time    Prep      Servings

Ingredients

4 slices (1 inch thick) sourdough bread
3 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 pound baby spinach
1/3 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (3 ounces)
4 large eggs

Directions
1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Place bread on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden, 1 to 3 minutes per side; set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add scallions and as much spinach as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, tossing and adding more spinach as room becomes available, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off excess liquid; mix in goat cheese. Transfer to a bowl; cover to keep warm. Set aside.
3. Wipe out skillet; heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Gently crack eggs into skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover, and remove from heat; let stand until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 3 minutes.
4. Top each piece of toast with spinach mixture and 1 egg; serve immediately.

Thanks, I'm going to try this!

larryhanna

Patricia and Mary Ann, I wasn't sure where the Easy Eggs Florentine with Baby Spinach and Goat Cheese recipe belonged so I placed it in the Miscellaneous Index.

Mary Ann

Thanks, Larry, I wouldn't know where to place it, either, however, it was compared to Eggs Benedict.  I hope Tom will stick around long enough to make it for us some morning.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Delish's Our Perfect Banana Pudding

"Our banana pudding is simple, classic, and most importantly—stupid easy to make. It doesn't require turning on your oven or using a stand mixer, so it's about as low-maintenance as you can get.

Start by mixing up a box of instant vanilla pudding, then make whipped cream and fold half into the pudding so it's extra light and fluffy. Layer vanilla wafer cookies with pudding mixture and sliced bananas, and top it all off with the remaining whipped cream.

The beauty of this dessert is not only that it's idiot-proof, but also that it can be as low-brow or high-brow as you want. You can serve it dessert lasagna-style at a barbecue, layer it in a trifle dish for a fancy dinner or holiday, or just eat it with a spoon out of the dish."

angelface555

Cooking Light's Ultimate Breakfast Toast

Active Time 20 Mins  Total Time 30 Mins  Yield Serves 4 (serving size: 1 slice)

"Whole grains, creamy ricotta, and a quick homemade jam deliver a treat-yo-self breakfast you can feel good about. Store-bought jams are loaded with sugar; this quick microwave version is a healthier hack that puts you in charge of the sweetness level. Fresh or frozen fruit work equally fine here; place a plate underneath the bowl before microwaving to make an easier cleanup." Anna Theoktisto September 2018

Ingredients

2 cups mixed fresh or frozen berries
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 (1/4-inch-thick) slice peeled fresh ginger
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
4 (1-oz.) multigrain bread slices, toasted
1 (5-oz.) ripe peach, sliced
1/2 cup fresh blackberries, halved
5 tablespoons toasted pecans, chopped
2 tablespoons honey

How to Make It

Step 1
Stir together berries, sugar, lime juice, and ginger in a medium-size microwave-safe bowl. Place bowl on a microwave-safe plate (to catch splatters). Microwave 5 minutes; stir. Microwave 5 minutes. Let jam cool to room temperature, 10 to 20 minutes. Remove and discard ginger.

Step 2
Spread 2 tablespoons ricotta on each toasted bread slice. Dollop each slice with 2 tablespoons microwaved fruit jam. Top evenly with peach slices, blackberries, and pecans. Drizzle evenly with honey.