Random Image

Mimi last Christmas

Owner:
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:22:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

Kelly

Rice is nice

Kelly

And it rhymes!

so_P_bubble

Lice and mice also rhymes, but not for dinner   :crazy2:

Kelly

Bubble and squeak

Is unique

The dish is a popular London meal

Kelly

MaryTX

Kelly, what is "Bubble and Squeak"?  I've heard it mentioned before but never heard what it consisted of.

Mary 

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

maryc

Unless I am  making this for a large group,  I use half of these ingredients substituting
whip topping for the sour cream, I also used a can of fruit cocktail along with
the other fruit.

EASY AMBROSIA
[/t][/t]
2 lg. cans chunk pineapple
2 cans mandarin oranges
1 sm. bag miniature marshmallows
2 lg. cartons sour cream
1 bag flaked coconut
1 jar maraschino cherries
Pecan halves
Drain pineapple and oranges well. (Retain juice.) Combine fruit, sour cream, coconut, and marshmallows. (May add small amount of juice.) Mix well. Place in salad bowl, garnish with cherries and pecan halves.Best if prepared night before serving, as needs to be well chilled. Quick and easy to take as "covered dish."[/t]
Mary C

maryc

I've wondered about Bubble and Squeak also.   When I  Googled it,   the description sounded a lot like our version of Hash.    That was the left overs from a roast beef meal cooked together with potatoes.    If you do it right it will get a bit crispy and oh so good......no cabbage in our version though. ;)      I do like fried cabbage and have a half link of polish sausage out to thaw and will cook cabbage and polish sausage for later.     
Mary C

FlaJean

Maryc, when my mother was living we always made ambrosia for our big family dinners but left out the coconut as no one cared for it.

Kelly

Hi Mary
Not sure on the recipe for Bubble and squeak(said as squeek)

Just know it as a meal that is or was liked a lot in London.

Kelly

Kelly

Hi MaryC
Mostly leftovers that is fried up the next day.

kelly

maryc

Quote from: FlaJean on April 07, 2016, 10:42:47 AM
Maryc, when my mother was living we always made ambrosia for our big family dinners but left out the coconut as no one cared for it.

I'm smiling about your comment Jean.    Personally I like the coconut but noticed that a few of our family expressed dislike for it when I made the Ambrosia at Christmas time.   Oh well! 

This morning I tried something new (to me).   I made an eggnog using vanilla flavored Boost.   It tasted pretty good to me and Al is sipping at it......another liquid breakfast. :)
Mary C

maryc

Yesterday I made the stuffed peppers again using Knorr's packaged Spanish rice along with the ground beef and onions.     We didn't eat them as we were off schedule (again!) so we're having that for a meal today.    I did sample the filling (of course, I'm a taster as I cook!) and I liked the seasoning.    I noticed that there seemed to be a lot more pasta visible than rice in this mix. It is similar to "rice-a-roni" mix.   One thing I did extra was to add a good sprinkle of grated parmesan cheese into the filling and liked the flavor.

I have my eye on a recipe for a broccoli/swiss quiche for breakfast tomorrow.    Breakfast seems to be the most appealing meal for Al so I'm trying to keep that meal interesting and nourishing.   This man does like anything with eggs!   I'll make the crust and mix up all the other ingredients today and bake it in the morning.
Mary C

phyllis

MaryC, I like quiche but I am terrible at making a pie crust so I found a recipe for "Crustless Quiche" and I fix that every now and then......especially when I have eggs that should be used up.  We like it with Cheddar cheese and sometimes I will slice up olives and add to it.  The Mediterranean diet is so good for us.....so they say.  Here is a link to Allrecipes site for crustless quiche:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/16796/main-dish/quiche/crustless-quiche/
phyllis
Cary,NC

maryc

Thank you for that link, Phyllis.   That reminds me of the Bisquick recipes that were so popular back in the '80s with the crust less various goodies.     I cooked for a lady friend for a while and she often wanted me to make a lemon dessert that was on that order.  :)

I used my "never fail" pastry recipe today for the pie crust and wouldn't you know,  I made a big mistake when measuring the shortening.     That pastry was so tough, it wouldn't roll out.   It dawned on me what I had done so I added the extra shortening, kneaded it in and it worked!   This is a recipe that someone gave me years ago and it is my standby.    I've never tracked it back to the donor but it is a dandy.
Mary C

JeanneP

Mary C.  If you don't want to make own pastry just try the store bought. Not bad in a pinch. Just dont buy the ones already in the plates. Get the one to roll out. Good brand. 
JeanneP

FlaJean

I like quiche but Larry doesn't, so I often get the small Nancy quiche.  They are very good baked in the oven but not as good in the microwave.  I like the ones with bacon best but also like the spinach.

With this busy move we haven't been eating like we should, so today I cooked a small roast in my crockpot and had potatoes and green beans.  It was so tender and delicious.  We will have good leftovers for a couple of days.

Maryc, I agree with your Al, anything with eggs is good.   :thumbup:

Kelly

Hi Everyone
I like a mincemeat pie!

kelly

maryc

The quiche was a big success and now we have wonderful leftovers!! :)
Mary C

Delphineaz

I accidentally made the most incredible beef soup last week in crock.pot.  I make awesome soups and this accidental soup was incredible.  I had some shank and skirt steak in the freezer.  I wanted to cookn it so I could make hash.  I put the bite size pieces in crock pot, coved it with a can of stewed tomatoes and can of Ro Tel Hot diced tomatoes with habaneros.  I set it in high, when beef was tender I removed it from pot.  There was a lot of juice in pot.  I added a qt of low salt beef stock, a pkg of dry Knorr veg soup and one half cup of barley.  It cooked till barley was done.  I DID NOT add one other thing to the soup, not even beef pieces.  The Knorr soup did its job.  The veggies came to life, the soup was incredible.  I froze 3 small containers.  The soup is thick and tasty.  The beef became beef hash.  I chopped the beef  in my cuisinart, added 4 chopped up potatoes and 1 chopped up red onion, no salt but added pepper.  I pan seared and steamed it with lots of unsalted butter till crisp on the bottom. I put 5 small containers in freezer.  My mom would have been so proud of my hash since I made it like her's.  The chopped potatoes had a lot of juice so I hand squeezed it out.

maryc

:smitten: Yum, yum, yum,  Delphine!      I do like a good crispy hash and the extra bonus soup sounds pretty good too.
Mary C

FlaJean

We had hot roast beef sandwiches with some hash browns and leftover green beans.

I like hash, Delphine, but have never cooked.it.  Sounds good!

JeanneP

That Hash does sound good. Never made it but going to try yours. Now the potato are diced and part cooked . Right? You do the onions first? Then mix it all together.  I use to like Corned Beef Hash made the the Canned corn beef. I am still one who like that corned beef on Sanwiches. Same with Spam. You can buy the salt free now.
I have a lot of sliced ham in the freezer. wonder if one could make Hash out of that.

Now soups I just play around with them using anything I can find. Some will never get again because I don't know what went in there.  Soups are my favourite things to make this way.
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

When I have stew gravy left over, I use it to cook rice in.  It always makes a great flavoring.

maryc

FlaJean,   I wonder how the settling is going?    I had to look back just now to find out when your move was actually taking place and I see that on Apr 3 you were unpacking boxes.    I hope you will be comfortable in your new setting.

Mary C

FlaJean

Everything is going great.  It is half the size of the house we left but it has a nice flow to it and we really like it and the area.  It has taken a while to put drapes and paintings up and occasionally a dilemma on what to keep boxed in the garage.  But it is so nice to have our daughter drop by.  Son-in-law came by Sunday and helped Larry do a few things.  We are happy we made this decision.

so_P_bubble

FlaJean best wishes in your new nest.   Good decisions always bring peace of mind and satisfaction.  There could be nothing better than being near loved ones.

FlaJean

I cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot yesterday.  It was so tender.  That will make us a few meals and I'll probably freeze some of the white meat for later.  It is so pleasant here this evening.  Sitting on the back porch enjoying a soft breeze.

Delphineaz

My mom's is roast beef  cooked, raw potatoes and raw onions.  I don't have a meat grinder so use my Cuisnart to chop or grind the meat, raw potatoes and raw onions.  The potatoes have a lot of water in them so I squeez out excess water.  Once everything is chopped it is all stirred together and then cooked. I have baked it and fryed it.  I use unsalted butter, lots of it to dot the baked or fried hash.  Once cooked and edges crispy I freeze in 1 cup amts which is two meals for me.  I am a big user of pepper and very sparing with salt.  Since store bought meat has water added, salt is already there so with taste test after hash is completely cooked I may add salt.  There is so much natural salt in potatoes and onions salt additional salt is rarely needed. Approx 1/4 C butter. 

JeanneP

Delph.

Now I like the hash make that way but I just buy a can of corned beef. No water in that.. Grind with the onion and potatoes . Don't use any salt at all. I have a mix of pepper and Garlic that I use with most things. Makes good patties.

I have eaten so many concoctions this week that I would not know how to make them again. Trying to empty indoor refridge freezer.  I ask a women across the street if she wanted everything in my outdoor freezer. She was happy to take it all.  Now that is ready to clean and use fresh.
JeanneP

MaryTX

JeanneP, I love canned corned beef in sandwiches with a little horseradish.  How much onion and potato do you use per can?

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast