Random Image

BougainvilleaColors

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Callie - Hillbilly Elegy, sounds like something I would like.  I'll put it on my library list, and hope to get it soon. At the moment, I'm without a book to read.  Too much "weather", to go to the library, and as you know, I don't read much on my Kindle.

My daughter recommended a mystery series book to me, that she saw at the library, and the title intrigued her so she checked it out.  It's called Kilt at the Highland Games, by Kaitlyn Dunnett.  Apparently her mystery series are all Scottish themes and titles.  Not sure if they take place in Scotland or where?   The two titles that Sandy has checked out now, are Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides, and The Scottie Barks At Midnight.  I love that last title, and plan to get it at the library and read it first.
Maryc - You might like this series?

maryc

The Sally Field memoir sounds good to me.   I've always enjoyed her movies.   Also the books about Appalachia.   That is a part of the country that has always interested me.  Several years ago I read two or three books by Robert Morgan about that area.  Truest Pleasure was one and Gap Creek another.  He is a good story teller.  Callie,  You have reminded me of one of Elizabeth Bergs books that I really liked and think I will reread it soon.   I have Safe Home now.   At the beginning,  I wondered if I wanted to read it because she didn't seem to be doing so well after her husband's death, but the story is getting better.   I just finished The Deep End of the Ocean.  That was a long book but I did get caught up in the story and wanted to see it through.  I will look into the Scottish mystery series.  Something a little different.  That kind of reminds me of The Maggie Hope Mystery series by Susan Elia MacNeal.   I read those a few years ago and enjoyed them.  Actually Susan  MacNeal is from Buffalo and the friend who loaned me the books met her here shortly after we had read the books.   One of those books centered around the children of the royal family when they were sent away from London during the War.  I just saw a review of a book called The Gown.   It is about  the seamstresses who worked on the wedding gown for the Queen  back in 1949.   It sounded like a story worth following.   I believe I saw it advertised on Hoopla.
Mary C

Marilyne

MarsGal - a number of weeks ago, you mentioned that you were reading White Rose - Black Forest, by Eoin Dempsey. Because I like most novels that take place during WWII, I got it from the Library, and just finished reading it.  It was a good story, but a familiar one!  I don't know how many books I have read with that same theme - "woman or child finds a man who has parachuted from a downed plane, or who has escaped from a POW camp."  He is usually injured and needs treatment, and needs to be hidden, etc. etc. etc.  I can name three other novels with the same storyline.  They are always exciting with a lot of tensions building up.  It's usually a German woman, who finds an American or a British airman or soldier.  This was no different from all the others.  If you liked this story, there is a similar but much better one called Resistance,  by Anita Shreve, that has a more realistic ending.  Also, one that takes place in the USA, called The Summer of My German Soldier, by Bette Greene. 

Right now I'm reading Kilt At the Highland Games, that I mentioned a couple of days ago.  It's a Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mystery.  It's light reading, but is good, and really holds my interest.  When I'm done with this one,  I plan to read another one called, The Scottie Barked at Midnight.

JeanneP - In case you look in today, I wanted to tell you that the Sally Field memoir, In Pieces, is available in Large Print!   

Maryc - I'm wondering how you're liking Tapestry of Fortunes?  I got it at the library, and sat down immediately and started reading.  Sorry to say that I was disappointed.  I only read about a third of the book, but decided it was not the Elizabeth Berg that I love, so I closed it for good.  I just could not relate to the main character at all.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I did finish "Tapestry of Fortunes" but agree it wasn't the usual Elizabeth Berg.

Just finished reading ""Farewell, Dorothy Parker" by Ellen Meister.  If you like Dorothy Parker's type of humor and can accept her appearing as a "live ghost" every time the Algonquin guest book she signed is opened  ;) , you'd probably enjoy the basic story.

#2 in the series is "Dorothy Parker Drank Here".  I'm getting ready to read it.

Maryc,  thanks for the suggestions about Appalachian stories.  I read "Gray Mountain" by John Gresham quite a while ago.  It's about legal issues in the coal mining industry.

Still on the waiting list for Sally Fields' book.

Marilyne

Callie - It was you who had mentioned, Tapestry of Fortunes!  After all of us talking about Night of Miracles, and other EB novels, I was thinking it was Mary, who was reading it. Interesting that you weren't impressed with it either . . . just not the Elizabeth Berg that I like.

The Dorothy Parker series sounds good.  It's been a long time since I have thought about her, but always enjoyed her writing and her humor.  I have Hillbilly Elegy, waiting for me at the library, so will probably pick it up tomorrow. (Just remembered that tomorrow is MLK holiday, so the library will probably be closed.)

CallieOK

Marilyne, I didn't realize "Hillbilly Elegy" had created such a stir until after I'd read it.  Here's a link to various discussions (mostly on Youtube) about the book:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hillbilly+Elegy+youtube&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiht_Wkk_3fAhVdJDQIHWXODIgQBQgpKAA&biw=1440&bih=782

Must admit I skimmed a lot of the first chapters because of the language and what I thought was repetition about the author's "kinfolk".  I realize that was background information but became more interested when he began to tell about the opportunities he had and his reaction to them.

Will be interested to know your opinion (and that of anyone else who has read it)

JeanneP

Marilyn.
Thanks for the book names you just put in. I will put my name down for the Sally fields. I am sure will be a waiting list for the large Print. I will check out a couple of the others also. I like books about the WW2 years.
My car will not start at the moment.  Had to chop 4 inch of Ice of it today. Think the Alternator may be gone as I just put a new battery in 3 weeks ago . It is still cold here. Down to one degree last night.
JeanneP

maryc

Jeanne P,  We are in the same "deep freeze" here in Western NY.  Temperature was at 7 degrees earlier with the "real feel" at -17.  Needless to say I've been home for two days....staying safe and warm. 
Callie,  You mentioned Gray Mountain.  That reminded me of a book I read a long time ago about mining in Virginia or W.Virginia and the start up of the Unions.   It was sad what the early workers went through when that happened.   That is what really brought my family to Niagara Falls back in the '40s.   My father worked for a company that engraved rollers for printing wall paper.    He and a few others wanted to get a Union in their shop and as a result lost their jobs.   He found work in a Union shop here in Niagara.
Marilyne,  When you mentioned the plot of White Rose-Black Forest I immediately thought of Anita Shreve's Resistance. 
Mary C

MarsGal

Marilyne, White Rose, Black Forest is not the kind of novel I normally read, so I haven't read any similar novels to compare. I am doing a reading challenge list this year and the first on the list was to read a novel set in or about a forest and then a non-fiction with the same theme. This novel, set in a forest, fit the bill, and it cost me nothing. The non-fiction, which I am reading right now, is The Battle That Stopped Rome by Peter S. Wells; it is about the Battle of Teutoburg Forest in 9AD where Rome lost three crack legions to an ambush and massacre lead by Arminius (known as Hermann in Germany). The defeat was almost unheard of in Roman history up til then, and was a major humiliation to Emperor Augustus. According to early historians, he never quite recovered, emotionally, from the shock of losing around 20,000 troops and the three Eagle standards.

SCFSue

My book club read _Hillbilly Elegy- several years ago.  I found it interesting--the author grew up in Kentucky (if I remember correctly) and worked hard to overcome the poverty he grew up in.  My sister in Jacksonville, Florida, had mailed me her copy when her book club finished their discussion.  We were raised in southwest West Virginia so were familiar with coal mining and poverty.  I enjoyed the book and was impressed by the author's efforts to overcome the poverty his family struggled with.

Sue

Marilyne

I now have Hillbilly Elegy, and I'm looking forward to finding out what it's all about.  I still have a couple of chapters left to read in Kilt At the Highland games.  I'm enjoying it, and I think those of you who like mystery stories, will like it too.  It's not the first one in the Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mystery series.  If I had known that there were other earlier ones, I probably would have read them first, but I don't think it matters much.

Callie - Did you see MarsGal's message in Bait and Tackle, about her niece's upcoming wedding in Singapore?  It reminded me of the book that we both recently read that took place mostly in Singapore.

MarsGal - The web site for the wedding was so interesting! I wish you would post the link here as well.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I did see MarsGal's link but haven't had time to look at it.  Did you know there are 3 books in the series we read set in Singapore?  I'm on the wait list for the other two.

Just checked out Book 1 in the Liss McCriminon mystery series....Kilt Dead.  They're all available in e-books and look like fun reads.  (Moosetookalook??????  :roflBig: )

MarsGal

Here you go, Marilyne. http://www.tusharwedscarrie.com/

Callie, when I went back over the posts in Norm's forum, I saw you have the National Cowboy Museum site listed. When I get done here, I am going over to check it out. I missed it earlier.

I will be picking up The Painted Kiss by Elizabeth Hickey, probably tomorrow. I adore Klimt's paintings. If it hadn't been for the movie (not based on the book or vice versa),The Woman in Gold starring Helen Mirrenn, I might not have known about him.

CallieOK

MarsGal, I hope you enjoy browsing through the museum site.

In case others might want to do so,  I had posted about the head of Ethnology at The National Cowboy and Western Museum in OKC (http://="https://nationalcowboymuseum.org/plan-your-visit/collections/" who was the program at a club meeting I was attending.
Unfortunately, he didn't use our speaker system and kept turning his head to a side table.  So I only caught a small portion of what he was saying.  What I did catch was that he is an Archeologist and an Historian. He is helping develop a display for a new addition to the museum that will feature the many ethnic groups represented by artifacts found at the Spiro Mounds http://="https://www.okhistory.org/sites/spiromounds.php" and other places in Oklahoma. I did not catch most of his descriptions of these artifacts and the distant locations to which they'd been traced.  :(   :'(

I browsed through part of the wedding link but there's so much that looks interesting that I want to go back and do so in more detail.  Thanks for sharing.

"The Mark of Civility" by the author of "A Gentleman In Noscow" has just appeared in my e-book loans from the library.

maryc

The conversation here about The Cowboy Museum and archeology findings in OK reminded me of a movie I watched recently called The Magic of Ordinary Days.   It was on youtube.  I'm not positive about the exact state but it was somewhere in the country where the major crop was sugar beets. The story was set in the early '40s and there was a Replacement camp nearby as well as a POW camp.  The female lead had been a graduate student and her interest was in archaeology and she was thrilled to find artifacts from the early farming days.  The area around the story reminded me of the novel Tallgrass.
   I picked up a new book at the library today by Khaled Hosseini called Sea Prayer.   It is a very very short story but I recommend it if it is available in your library.  It is really more like a poem in free verse but very thought provoking.
Mary C

MarsGal

I've started on The Painted Kiss. I am once again immersed in pre-war Vienna (this time, WWI).

Also, I finally finished listening to Augustus and haven't chosen the next audio book yet. My newest acquisitions includes Alice Hoffman's novel about Camille Pissarro titled A Marriage of Opposites, The Buried Book, by David Damrosch, which is about the Epic of Gilgamesh, and a reading of Beowulf. Less than half of my audio book collection is fiction.  One of those is the complete Barsoom series. I just loved reading about John Carter's adventures on Mars and couldn't resist the thought of listening to the series.

SCFSue

In the late 1940's there was a Prison of War camp here in Opelika, Alabama, where my son lives not far from me (in Auburn, AL).  The prisoners were young boys who were almost men and they were used by the city of Opelika for gardening/lawn service, etc. until the war was over.  Many have returned to Opelika for visits with the people who used their services during WWII.  I think most of the prisoners had been forced into the German army while just teens.

Sue

Marilyne

SCFSue - The book,  The Summer of My German Soldier, did take place in Alabama, so I'm pretty sure that the prisoner of war camp was in Opelika.  I think you would enjoy reading it, and it's available at the library. It's a very different story.

Callie - I enjoyed the Cowboy and Western Museum site that you posted, as well as the Spiro Mounds site.  I would love to visit that museum, and the Frederic Remington exhibit, would be the first one I would want to see. 

I hope you enjoyed Kilt Dead, the first book of the Liss MacCrimmon Scottish Mystery series.  I would have preferred to read the books in order, but since my daughter had recommended Kilt At the Highland Games, I read it first.  I liked it, and now have two others checked out.
I'm about finished with Hillbilly Elegy, and find it to be fascinating reading.  Hard for me to relate to such a life of chaos, but it looks like things do turn out well for J.D.

Mary - The Magic of Ordinary Days, sounds like a story I will like.  I looked it up online, and one of the reviewers said it reminded him of  Plainsong, by Kent Haruf.  Haruf, is one of my favorite authors, so I'm looking forward to "Days".

MarsGal - I also have The Painted Kiss, ordered at the library!

maryc

Last night I finished my little mystery story called Dead of Winter by Wendy Corsi Staub.  Apparently it is one of a group called The Lily Dale Mysteries.   It caught my eye because of the setting at Lily Dale.   That is a small summer community in the southern part of Western New York populated by mediums.    I had heard tell of Lily Dale when I was a small child as it was just a few miles from the town where I was born.    Much later my husband, daughter and I went there when we were camping nearby just to look around.   Interestingly,  one of the meteorologists from a local TV station that we watch was staying there  because his wife is a medium.  As we strolled around the grounds he happened to come by on his way to the post office.   This is "small town USA!"   ::)  
Mary C

Marilyne

Mary - that's very interesting, about the town of Lily Dale, being populated by mediums! I'm wondering why they are all congregated together? I'll have to "Google" mediums, and read more about it.  Sounds like a fascinating subject, that I know nothing about. I remember seeing a medium being interviewed on a TV talk show, many years ago, but that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

I'm glad I read Hillbilly Elegy, and would definitely recommend it.  I do like memoirs, and this is an unusual one. I found myself thinking about it a lot, after I finished it, and wondering about many of the situations that he wrote about, and how they turned out?

I'll be starting Bagpipes, Brides and Homicides, this afternoon.  I liked Kilt At the Highland Games, so will likely read a few more in that series at sometime in the future. I have a few books waiting at the library, but can't remember what they are, at the moment?  I won't pick them up for a few more days, so will probably be ready for something different by then.

CallieOK

I "adjusted" my safety settings and have had to sign in again on various web sites.

When I tried to do so on Seniorlearn, I was told I had been "banned from using this forum. No expiration on ban".
I tried "googling" the web site to re-register and got the same message.  There was no place to click for registering, asking questions or correcting whatever the problem is. I have no idea what I did wrong.

If someone participates on SL, would you ask why this might have happened and what I can do about it?

We're completely "fogged in".  I stocked the pantry yesterday and have been "Domestic" today.  Now ready to settle in and read/snooze for the rest of the afternoon.

Marilyne

I finished a good book today, titled,  The Wife,  by Meg Wolitzer.  I have read a few of her novels, as well as those of her mother, Hilma Wolitzer, and have enjoyed every one of them.  The thing that sparked my interest in "The Wife", is that it has been made into a movie, starring Glenn Close.  She won the Golden Globe for Best Actress, and she is also nominated for the Academy Award, for Best Actress. I loved the story, and I can see that it would make a wonderful movie. Glenn Close is the perfect choice to play the title character. I'm looking forward to seeing the movie.
Callie and Mary - I think you would both like this book!

Callie - I hope you finally got into SeniorLearn? After I read your message yesterday I went to SL, and had no problems.  However, I am not a member, so I go in as a guest, with no sign-in or password.       

CallieOK

Thanks, Marilyne.  Just put "The Wife" on hold.  I'm #6 on the list - library has 2 copies of the e-book.  Shouldn't be too long.
There was another e-book with the very same title but by a different author.  Good thing the one you mentioned had a picture of Glenn Close on the cover because, of course, I blanked out on the author's name as soon as I left this page.

I haven't tried getting into SL again.  I guess it recognized my computer because the ban mentioned the e-mail address I sign in with and there was no way to re-register.  May have to try on my Tablet and see what happens.

MarsGal

Callie, let me know if you still have problems getting into SL. I can let Jane know. Maybe she can do something from her end. I assume the email you have listed in SL is still valid; she may want to contact you.

I am currently reading Mark Kurlansky's The Big Oyster. It is a history of NYC and local surrounds with an emphasis on the local oysters that used to be the envy of the world. Kind of a "rise of NYC, fall of the environment and the subsequent ruin of the oysters and oyster industry along the Hudson Estuary" kind of thing. So far, I haven't decided on the audio book I want to listen to next. I am up to 33 titles now, with only five listened to so far.

CallieOK

MarsGal,  I'd appreciate it if you would let Jane on SL know my situation. Thank you!
I tried Googling SeniorLearn.org and got the Home page for what looks like a newsletter for a larger group than "ours".  There was a link to "discussions" but when I clicked on it, I got the same ban message. So I can't even re-register.
I'm "CallieinOK" on that site.

Yes, that e-mail address is still valid and I've been receiving/sending messages on it.  I could understand needing to re-register but have no idea what I did or didn't do to cause the ban.

The book about the Oysters around NYC sounds interesting.  My granddaughter who lives in NYC had registered with an Events Staffing company and was assigned to a team doing a "Fish Count" of the Hudson estuaries.  They were to catch as many fish as possible within a time limit, identify/measure/weigh each one and return it to the water.  Her team caught a large bass but, after completing the requirements, couldn't figure out how to get the hook out of its mouth.  Up steps this petite red-head who grabs the fish out of the holding tub, removes the hook and tosses it back in the water. She explained to the astounded New Yorkers, "My Nana taught me to do this when I was 10".   ;D   (Note:  other grandmother - not me!)

MarsGal

Callie, the note to Jane is sent. It may take her a day or two to respond.

In the meantime, yes, The Big Oyster is interesting so far. I am not far into the book so I am hip deep into the multitude of oyster middens on the islands and around the shores of the Hudson. I am learning some more about the history and language of the local/regional Indian tribes, all part of the Delaware Indian grouping.

Good for your granddaughter. I hope she enjoyed the day on the water.

Marilyne

MarsGal - How did you like The Big Oyster?  Another good historical novel about the early days of NYC, is New York: the novel, by Edward Rutherford.  I read it few years ago, and liked it a lot. It focused on the Dutch settlers. I remember that a couple of others in this folder also read it at that time, and liked it.   Another one that is supposed to be an authentic historical novel about the early Jewish settlers in NYC, is Kavalier & Clay, by Michael Chabon.  It won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, in 2001.  I tried to read it, but I just couldn't get into it.  That was way back a least fifteen years ago, so I might check it out, and try again?

CallieOK

Marsgal,  I did hear from Jane.  She, Marcie and my son tried to fix the problem.  I haven't yet tried what son suggested and Jane agreed with because it would interrupt my bedtime reading  ::) ..but I will. Thanks for helping.

Has anyone read "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes?  About a quadriplegic who bonds with his young caregiver before going to Switzerland for "assisted suicide". I had read it and watched the movie based on the book this weekend.  Filmed in England and well done.  The actor who played the butler on Downton Abbey had a major supporting role.

MarsGal

Marilyne, I like these first chapters of The Big Oyster because they cover the very early history of the area. I am now into the early Dutch settlements and just finished a little bit about oysters in general. Yesterday's reading was a bunch of antidotal vignettes, some of which I skimmed over. They seemed kind of redundant. I should be reading it faster than I am, but I keep interrupting myself with other things and some short stories I've been reading.

JeanneP

JeanneP