Random Image

keani

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 17, 2024, 09:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Library Bookshelf

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

My library only has one book by Anne Hillerman and it is an audio book.  They  ALWAYS put me to sleep so I don't get one very often.  I'll keep checking around because I really liked the Hillerman books.

I've put a Hold on the new Donna Leon book.  It will be awhile because I'm #83 on the waiting list!  I love her books because of her wonderful description of Venice.  She makes me feel that I am walking beside those canals.
phyllis
Cary,NC

FlaJean

I ended up buying the 4 Anne Hillerman books from Amazon on my Kindle app because the library didn't have them.  When I get a birthday gift card from Amazon I sometimes use it for online books (even 'tho I would rather have a paper version).  I will probably also buy #5 when it comes out.  Reading a lot on my iPad puts pressure on my eyes so I try to avoid it.

Phyllis, Donna Leon is a favorite author.  I love those meals his wife cooks.  I appreciate the thoughtfulness Leon has shown in writing about a decent and loving Venetian family.  She certainly doesn't hide the corrupt Government but shows how to survive without becoming corrupt and how at times there is no answer but you just do your best.

Marilyne

Callie - Your link, showing the picture of Geronimo's grave, looks exactly as he described it in the story!   I think that Joe Lansdale is from, or now lives in, Oklahoma?  If so, your library will probably order the book. At my library, it was on the shelf featuring new and recommended books. I see that it's a First Edition, and was just published in 2018.

Jean and Phyllis - I had a short wait for the only two Tony Hillerman books, that I now have. There were a couple of Anne Hillerman's, at other libraries in the County system, but there's a long wait list.

Last night was a bad night, as far as falling asleep was concerned, so I got up about midnight, and read a couple more chapters in Listening Woman,  I'm already half way through it, and really liking it. When I finish it, I have one more Hillerman, and that's it, until I get notice that another one has arrived at my library.

Donna Leon, sounds like a writer that I would like, so I'll add her name to my list of authors to look for, the next time I go to the library.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I looked up Joe Lansdale.  He lives in Texas.   The library has some of his books (written as Joe R. Lansdale).  I read a sample of one or two  that are about a pair of "red-neck" P.I.s  - and have put one on my Wish List. 
E-book patrons can Recommend e-books for the library to purchase.  I'll do so for the "....Geronimo..." book.

Have started "Sweetgrass" by Alice Monroe.  So far, it's pretty good.

Haven't read a Hillerman book in a very long time.  Maybe I'll dip into one of them.   

maryc

A while back there was discussion about The Hillbilly Elegy.   I wasn't able to find that book here in our library system.   However, in the search another title came up and the review caught my interest.  This book title is Under a Cloudless Sky by Chris Fabry.   It is a novel about the woes of the coal miners and their families in the thirties.   I did enjoy that one.   I'm in the midst of reading Zoo Nebraska.   That was a free offering from Amazon for the month of March.  Interesting!!
Mary C

Marilyne

maryc - Zoo Nebraska, must be a good non-fiction book. It seems to be highly recommended from many sources.  It was reviewed in the book section of my Sunday newspaper, and I also received an Amazon message, recommending it as one of their choices for the month of March.  So I put in a request at my library, but it's so new, that they don't have it yet.  So I'm interested in what you think of it?  It sure did get good reviews. MarsGal, also said that she was planning on reading it. 

Callie - I think I read Sweetgrass, but I can't recall for sure?  I may be thinking of Tallgrass, which was about a Japanese internment camp in Colorado. It's been a long time, but I remember that it was a good book. I looked up the Lansdale book about the two PI's. It's a series, and The site tells you the order in which they were written, so you can start out with #1. I've only read two of the short stories by Lansdale, but I like his style, and would like to read more, so I'll probably start with the PI series.

SCFSue

I have Navy friends, (Japanese Americans), who were interred at a prison camp during WWII when we were children.  Their fathers were second generation Americans who were farmers in California.  I had no idea that this had happened until I was a grown woman and married.  Our husbands were both Navy pilots and were sharp-shooters at their universities (us at U. of South Carolina and them at U.C. Berkeley).  The 2 husbands took turns being the winner of the national ROTC shooting prize during their college days.  When we were stationed at the Naval Post Graduate School in Monterey, CA, we lived in the same quad at the PG school and we wives became friends.  I didn't know or remember about the interment until Jeannie told me about the 4 years they were imprisoned by the U. S. during WWII.  We are still friends, but sadly both husbands are deceased.

SCFSue

CallieOK

Marilyne,  here's a synopsis of "Sweetgrass"

Sweetgrass is a historic tract of land in South Carolina that has been home to the Blakely family for eight generations. But Sweetgrass--named for the indigenous grass that grows in the area--is in trouble. Taxes are skyrocketing. Bulldozers are leveling the surrounding properties. And the Blakelys could be forced to sell the one thing that continues to hold their disintegrating family together.

I liked it because it was different from the "usual" Low Country stories I'd been reading.

Have now started reading "Wife", the book the movie was based on and Glenn Close won an award for.  Not sure I like the author's writing style but I'll stick with it for a while.

There were several German POW camp in Oklahoma during WWII - one was right outside my hometown.  I remember hearing that the prison camps were put in the middle of the country because it would be harder for prisoners to find their way to the coasts if they escaped.

Electricity was off for more than an hour this morning.  Fortunately, it's a sunny day and I just sat in my south window and played games that are downloaded on my Tablet.

Off to get busy with the projects I'd planned to do - both of which require microwave and oven.

Happy Reading, everyone.

maryc

I'm giving up on Zoo Nebraska,lost interest in all the trivia
Mary C

Vanilla-Jackie

I know I have mentioned this book before but is well worth mentioning again...Chef Interrupted by Trevis Gleason...Believe it or not I am reading this book for the fourth time, something I have never needed to do with any book, so much interest, I still seem to come across things I never took in on one of my previous reads...By the way he has MS but the book is not focusing on that but his stay in ireland with his new pup, the guests who come over to stay in his rented rustic cottage in the wilds of west Kerry, Ireland for the winter, few of his recipes are also thrown into the book..This book is very humorous, and in my opinion " a must read.."

" Born in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1966, writer Trevis L. Gleason had lived a life many would consider quite full by the time he was diagnosed with Secondary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis in 2001 at the age of 35. Gleason forewent scholarships in the field of music education to join the United States Coast Guard in 1985.  As he had in high school music and athletics, he confronted new challenges and exceeded expectations at every turn; becoming the youngest person ever to be named Coast Guardsman Of The Year at the Service's annual Coast Guard Festival in Grand Haven, Michigan in August of 1986.

After nearly 7 years sailing the Atlantic, Pacific, Barring and the Great Lakes as an accomplished navigator for the Coast guard, Gleason took another tack and plotted a new course in the culinary world.

Studying at the revered New England Culinary Institute under Chef Michel LeBorgne (No Crying In The Kitchen – Public Press 2009), Gleason once again excelled, representing the school at the prestigious "Salute To Excellence" held by the National Restaurant Association in 1992.  Honing his culinary skills around professional kitchens in New England and New York, Gleason settled into what he expected to be a nice, long position at Cornell University's School of Hotel Administration.

Within three years, however, Gleason was named as a Goodwill Ambassador to the former Soviet Republic of Ukraine by the US Agency for International Development (USAID).  During his time in Ukraine, Gleason put his new-found love of artisan bread baking to use as he helped several farmer/owners of local bread bakeries in the new, Free Economy to increase their production (by as much as 40%) without adding labor or expense.  He also helped establish a cooperative granary and mill for the local farmers with the help of international financing and the UN's World Bank.

Upon Return to the United States, Chef Trevis moved to San Francisco, California to take a directorial position with the California Culinary Academy where he opened and ran several cooking schools for the Academy around that state.  A later position with a German foodservice equipment manufacturer had him flying approximately 250,000 miles per year around North America and Europe.

All of this changed in April 2001, however, when years of misdiagnosed ailments and ignored symptoms finally culminated in a stroke-like episode which led to his diagnosis with Multiple Sclerosis.

Gleason was forced to retire at the very moment his career was entering rarefied air.

The journey back from such a fall may be impossible for some – and it was nearly so for the Chef.  With the help of a world-classed medical team, the dearness of old friends and a new-found batch of passionate people working to cure the disease and help those living with MS until that cure is found, Gleason has grasped the reigns of his new life and ridden not off into the sunset, but rather onto a bigger and more important stage.

Trevis Gleason is now a leading voice for people with MS and a multitude of chronic illness.  His Blog, Trevis L Gleason's Life With MS, is one of the longest running, most widely read and respected on the topic.  He also writes regular blog posts for the MS Society of the United Kingdom (A Yank's Life With MS) as well as for the National (US) Multiple Sclerosis Society (The Unspeakable Bits; From A Life With MS).  His opinions are sought by elected officials and non-profit leaders.  He stirs a national conversation about MS the way he once might have an elaborate consommé and while MS has stopped him from doing much he formerly found "important" there is no greater work for him, than being a voice for those who live with MS just like he does.."

" There is no present like the time "

FlaJean

Jackie, that sounds like a really good book.  I checked my library but it doesn't have it.  I'm sure I can get it from Amazon.  I'm going to order Anne Hillerman's latest book in April so I'll get that one at the same time.  Something to look forward to.

Vanilla-Jackie

" There is no present like the time "

JeanneP

That book does sound interesting. Just checked and not in library. What is it that makes people that come down with MS to be such fighters. I have had  friends and all were the same. fought so hard to keep up with the good work they had always done.It did seem to hit them in ages about 35. lost one last year and now one last week. Both involved in so much for many years with it without realizing .Both age 65. there does seem to be lots of research being done on Ms.Lets hope soon something will be found
JeanneP

MarsGal

I just discovered that David McCullough has a new book releasing the beginning of May, The Pioneers. It is about the settling of the Northwest Territories. Should be interesting. https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Pioneers/David-McCullough/9781501168680

The History of the First Bulgarian Empire is very interesting, but my oh my is all that migrating and raiding and such confusing. Early accounts of the area are spotty and often contradictory. Then there are the names; different accounts use different spellings of both people and places. No maps and only vague references to where groups migrated to or from, or where battles were fought. It must be a real challenge to piece all that together into something semi-coherent.

I just started Shadow of the Silk Road, today, for our book discussion on SeniorLearn. Then there are the two books I picked up at the library which will have to wait a while till I get to them, and I just got notice that the next Expanse book is ready for me to download. And I am in the middle of doing my Taxes.

Marilyne

Maryc - I'm on a wait list for Zoo Nebraska at the library, but I doubt that I will read it when it finally arrives. You were definitely not enthusiastic, which tells me that I probably won't be either.  We haven't seen a comment from MarsGal yet?  she mentioned last week that she intended to read it, but hasn't said anything since?  I have a stack of books here, that I would like to read, but it will take me a long time to get to all of them, plus a have a few others waiting for me at the library. I should have known better than to check out so many at one time!

To all those who recommended the Tony Hillerman novels, I would like to tell you that I thoroughly enjoyed reading, Listening Woman.  I've done a little research, and I see that it's one of Hillerman's, Joe Leaphorn, series.  I would like to read another in that series, as I really liked Joe!  Today I'm going to start on another of the many books that I checked out last week.  I haven't decided which one, but they all look interesting.

MarsGal - The Pioneers, sounds good.  I like stories dealing with the early settlers, in different areas of the country.  One of my favorites is an old classic by Willa Cather, My Antonia.  Just a wonderful book, that I own, and have read a number of times over the years.  It takes place in Nebraska, and is focused on the immigrants from an area in Czechoslovakia, known as Bohemia.   A wonderful story, that will grab you right away, hold your interest, and stay with you for a long time.

MarsGal

Marilyne, I will eventually get around it but right now. I have five library books to read, one of which I am sure I won't be able to renew. Too bad only one is an Ebook. The library systems I have don't have the others in Ebook format. Trying to read around the cats slows me down.

Marilyne

Callie - I'm wondering how you liked  The Wife?  I thought it was a very good story.  I'm anxious to see the movie, available on TV for the sum of $5.99.  That is so reasonable, compared to going to a theater, but I still find it hard to pay, when there are lots of things to watch for free!  I will probably watch it some day this week anyway.  Glenn Close, is perfect for the title roll, and being as she won the Golden Globe for Best Actress, and was nominated for the Oscar, I'm sure she does a great job. 
I Googled Sweetgrass, and yes, I did read it, and I liked it.  Mary Alice Monroe's novels tend to be similar to each other, as far as the general theme is concerned, which is fine with me.  There have been only a few that I didn't care much for.  Of the Southern women writers, I prefer Anne Rivers Siddons.  I don't know if she is still living and writing, so I think I'll look, and see if she's written anything in the past couple of years?

I'm now reading Lost Horizon, by James Hilton. I recently watched the movie, so I was curious about the book. It was written in 1933, so the writing style seems a bit dated, but still very readable.  He also wrote, Goodbye, Mr. Chips, and Random Harvest, which were also made into movies in the 1940's.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I'm still reading "The Wife" - just got to the part where the "secret" of his real success is revealed.
Will be interested in seeing how the author handles that one! 

I still haven't tried to get movies on t.v. - either for free or by paying what is a minimum amount compared to theater prices.  I have several recorded from HBO or other movie channels and haven't gotten around to watching those, either.

One of these days....... :) 

FlaJean

Just finished unto us a son is born by Donna Leon, one of my favorite authors.  Very good book.  Heading to the library soon to get a couple of books by Sharon Kahn about the rabbi's wife.  They sound like fun and light reading.

Marilyne

I returned my stack of books to the library yesterday, except for one - Sisters, by Lisa Wingate.  I wanted to read Ship of Fools, but the print was so tiny and so light, that my eyes couldn't handle it.  I liked the movie so much, and wanted to see if, or how, it differed from the movie, but I'll just move on.  The other Hillerman, book that I had checked out, The Wailing Wind, I couldn't deal with either.  It was a small paper back, and was wrinkled, and dirty, and torn in places.  I could tell it had been read by countless people, over many years, but it was just too "beat up" for me to handle and enjoy reading.

I don't think libraries order new copies of books anymore, once they wear out, or are lost or damaged?  The younger generations don't read "old fashioned" hard or soft cover books anymore, but only stick with ebooks. Even college textbooks are now available for Kindles and online.  I wonder what will become of libraries in the future? I guess the publishing companies, will slowly switch over to digital, as newspapers are doing right now? 

MarsGal

I guess you are thinking about Trump's push to eliminate Federal funding for libraries again. He tried this in 2017. What Congress did in 2018, instead, was increase funding.

I am not liking Shadow of the Silk Road very much. It is a bit of a downer and a little depressing. The author spends a lot of time relating conversations with people, many he remembered from 30 years ago about the changes in China. People seem to be somewhat disconnected from their history, and I don't mean just ancient history. I guess that is to be expected as the world seems to change faster and faster these days.

I do like A History of the First Bulgarian Empire, but will not get it finished before I must send it back, I fear. Here again, people had to contend with a lot of changes over the year with the constant raids, migrations, and forced displacement and resettling of whole populations.

Actually, the Expanse series also covers a lot of this: wars, displacement, migrations, and now the argument over safety and security and freedom. Carrot and stick. Lock step with the new, growing Empire and you will been taken care of cradle to grave. If not, you punished severely for even relatively minor infractions in thought and/or deed.

FlaJean

Marilyne, I very seldom read paperback books anymore.  The print so close to the middle you have to almost pull the book apart to see the words.  Every now and then I luck out when going to B&N and find a good hardback book from a favorite author for $6 or less.  I keep an eye out for my favorite authors and always put a hold on the newest books at the library.  If the library doesn't get the book, I end up buying the digital version from Amazon or iBooks.  I would spend the money on the hardback but my husband isn't too happy about it so the digital version is a compromise.

I just finished "Death on Nantucket" by Francine Mathews.  However, it was the 5th in the series and now I want to see if they have the previous four.  Anything about settings in Northeastern coastal areas is interesting if there is a good plot to go with the locale.

Marilyne

Jean - I also like to look through the sale books at B&N. They always have a good selection, but AJ is like Larry - why would I buy a book that I can get for free at the library or digital?   My reason is because hard bound books are such a pleasure to read, and most new library books are now soft cover.  I have a Kindle, but both of us prefer a regular book, although he doesn't mind a paper back, even if it's not in the best of shape. 

I'm not really enjoying the few books that I have checked out right now, so I may see if your recommendation, "Death On Nantucket", is in at my library. 
Later on this afternoon I'm going to leave you a message in Television & Movies, about a good new moviee that I think you would like! 

phyllis

Death on Nantucket sounds good.  I'll have to check the library catalog.  I, also, always enjoyed Phillip Craig's Martha's Vineyard mystery books and, of course, the setting is very similar to Nantucket Is.  Both are off the coast of Cape Cod. I loved that whole area when my husband and I used to travel there.

EDIT:  Unfortunately, my library doesn't seem to have any of her books.
phyllis
Cary,NC

FlaJean

Phillis, I'm glad you mentioned Philip Craig.  I had forgotten about him.   He died several years ago but I looked in my library and they have several books by him.  If I have read them I probably forgot what they were about.  I'm going to the library today so will see if I can get a couple of his.  I got three books from the library last week and only liked one of the three.  I've learned not to waste time on a book I don't enjoy.

so_P_bubble

Sisterhood Bundle: Weekend Warriors, Payback, Vendetta 
by Fern Michaels   

The first three novels that launched the #1 New York Times bestselling Sisterhood series!

The Sisterhood: a group of women from all walks of life bound by friendship and years of adventure. Armed with vast resources, top-notch expertise, and a loyal network of allies around the globe, the Sisterhood will not rest until every wrong is made right.

WEEKEND WARRIORS
Life isn't fair. Most women know it. But when Myra Rutledge loses her daughter in a tragic hit-and-run, she recruits six of her closest friends to right the wrongs they've suffered too long. Together, the Sisterhood will learn that when bad things happen, justice is theirs to serve . . .

PAYBACK
When Julia Webster's husband, a U.S. Senator, betrays her for his own personal gains, the Sisterhood gather to embark on their second mission. Because the senator crossed the wrong woman . . . and there are six more where she came from . . .

VENDETTA
It's been five years since Myra's pregnant daughter was killed by a hit-and-run driver—the playboy son of an ambassador with diplomatic immunity. But now the time has finally come for the Sisterhood to execute some long-awaited and very sweet revenge . . .

"Readers will enjoy seeing what happens when well-funded, very angry women take the law into their own hands." —Booklist

"Michaels manages to surprise and delight fans of all ages with her novel's unexpected twists and turns." 

phyllis

Thanks, Bubble.  I used to read Fern Michaels whenever she published anything but haven't read her for a long time.  Maybe it's time to go back and try her again.
phyllis
Cary,NC

MarsGal

I made a discovery while reading Shadow of the Silk Road. The author told about an asbestos mine he saw in Tibet. While also reading the book about the first A History of the First Bulgarian Empire, I discovered that the Romans and much of the Near East knew about asbestos, including the lung disease that plagued asbestos miners. The Romans used asbestos for a ton of  things, including armor padding/lining, hair nes, and tablecloths and napkins. Common advise at the time was not to buy slaves who had worked the asbestos mines because they didn't live long. I'd love to see examples of objects made with asbestos from those times. I wonder if any survived. Ah, I feel another Internet search coming over me.

If you are interested in seeing asbestos mine site, take a look at this page, click on #7 - Southern Silk Road. http://ken-in-china.blogspot.com/ Blogger Ken. went through the area about a year after the author of Shadow of the Silk Road, and took plenty of pictures. You can see how rugged the terrain is.

And speaking of A History of the First Bulgarian Empire, I discovered an online version of the book. The online book has been modified a little to make it easier to check the appendix and reference notes, and  added maps (hurry!) which are not in the book. For anyone interested, http://s155239215.onlinehome.us/turkic/25Bulgars/SRuncimanFirstBulgarianEmpireBook1En.htm Now I can send the ILL book back and finish it at my leisure. It is really quite good.

FlaJean

Phyllis, I got all of the books by Philip Craig that the library had (6).  I would like to read them in order but they are sort of hit and miss.  I've read two already and my husband is enjoying them also.

I also got "Newcomer" by Keigo Higashino, a Japanese author.  I've read him before and this was published in this country in Nov. 2018.  I like to read books by authors from different countries.  I like a good mystery but not one that I consider "silly".  You can really learn a lot about people and places from a serious and good author, regardless of whether the book is a mystery or not.

Marilyne

Jean and Phyllis - I'm planning to check my library for any books by Phillip Craig. I need to go in a new reading direction for a while, so that sounds like a good place to start.  Also, Newcomer, by Higashino, looks to be good. 

I didn't last long with any of the books I checked out a couple of weeks ago.  I just couldn't seem to concentrate, and allow myself get involved in any of them.  I did enjoy The one Hillerman book, and a couple of stories in the Joe Lansdale book of short stories.  The rest were a disappointment.

Lots of things going on around here the past couple of weeks, so it hasn't been a good time for reading.  Tomorrow our older daughter and granddaughter will come for a visit, and will stay about three days.  After they leave, I'll make another trip to the library, and hope to get back into a reading routine.

MarsGal - Sounds like you're enjoying Shadow of the Silk Road, so I may take a look when I go to the library?  I usually follow along with the discussions on SL, but I haven't looked at this one yet.  I will if I decide to check out the book.

Bubble - nice to see you here! I heaven't read anything by Fern Michaels, in many years, but I may take a look at the Sisterhood Series . . . sounds good!

Maryc - We haven't heard from you in a while . . . hope you are doing okay, and Debby too?  Waiting anxiously for Spring to arrive I would imagine?  Let us know what you've been reading?