Random Image

tomato

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. My morning is starting out at 67 degrees and is to get into the low to mid 80's this afternoon.  Pat did not go and help with the Bazaar setup preparation as it required a lot of carrying of items from one building to another and that is something she can no longer do.  However, she does want to go down and take the Bazaar is this morning so I will be taking her later this morning.  This evening we plan on going back to the Church for our Wednesday Night dinner and then enjoying a time of visiting with Scott. I know of nothing else on the schedule for today. 

Yesterday we did go to Pizza Hut for our main meal of the day.  They have a noon buffet 5 days a week.  We stopped at the Pharmacy where we got the Rollator to see about an attachment so the cane could be affixed to the Rollator and they didn't have one in stock that would work with the model of Rollator that Pat has.  I did not hear back yesterday from the man I contacted to pressure wash the house and hope to hear from him today.

Mary Ann, that sounds like a great idea for your pictures.  Having them all on one sheet facilitates framing or saving them and I bet your family members will appreciate it.  I think about the only time I have ever been on moving sidewalks is at airports and that sure is helpful.  I am pretty sure Pat is Canada.  Her BIL John posted in the Christian Photographers folder that she had been moved to a bigger hospital where they have a good rehab program and she apparently had surgery again on her hip. Perhaps you could get recommendations from your friends at Church as to a reliable and trust-worthy housekeeper.  This is how we found our housekeeper.  It is money well spent in my opinion. 

deAngel, sorry that you are having trouble sleeping.  Don't worry about me doing too much as when I do I will know it the next day and I do take care of myself.  I think the way I describe things sometimes indicates I do more than I actually do.  When I begin to get too tired I have to sit or lay down for a bit.  Other than the household chores like the kitchen work and getting Pat's breakfast and folding laundry, the rest is pretty much just being somewhere or sitting here in my office in the mornings.  I very seldom come into my office to do anything after lunch and try to keep afternoons free for rest and relaxation. 

Joy, maybe this will be the week to be discharged from the special visits you are getting.  Glad that they have been helpful for you.  Sometimes others can suggest really good ideas and we wonder why didn't we think of that.  I have set a goal of getting at least 1,000 steps in each day and unless I have a down day I usually exceed that goal.  Fortunately, my phone keeps track of my steps and keeps a record.  It sounds like getting someone to come in and help with the housework would be a great idea for you. 

Jean, we got up to 90 degrees here yesterday afternoon but the weatherman is reassuring us that should be it for this year with cooler weather after today.  However, he didn't promise.  :)  I do get lots of rest and have to if I am going to keep going.  I try to get whatever I need to do done in the mornings as have more energy then. 

Marilyne, thanks for trying to contact Joan.  I usually try to get something other than fries when they are listed as the item with the hamburger and usually they allow the substitution.  My preference is coleslaw.  That is a long time without measurable rain. 

Patricia, it sounds like yesterday was a good day not to have to get outside and risk a fall on the ice.  Snow is sure preferable to that ice anytime.  It does seem strange that your security desk doesn't get a signal of the elevator problems.  Glad to see that you are upgrading your MedicAlert.  We have never regretted having a housekeeper as it is nice to have the whole house cleaned at one time.  When we were doing it we could handle usually only one room at at time.  Remember "it is what it is" and just consider it a new page turned in your book of life.   

Marilyne

I'm concerned about Joan, because she never responded to my email or Facebook Messenger.  I also looked at Candy's FB,  but didn't see any recent messages. I'm hoping that everything is okay, and that maybe Joan is having some computer problems?  We will eventually hear something.

Also, we haven't heard from other long time S&F members in quite a while . . . Shirleyn, Beverly, and Johanne.  I hope they're all doing well, and that those in Florida did not suffer any damage from the hurricane.

Larry, Mary Ann & Patricia - I also would love to have a housekeeper, to help me get control of this large, unwieldy house. It's impossible for me to do any more than keep the kitchen cleaned up, and the laundry washed and folded.  The rest of the house is in dire need of a professional cleaning!  AJ doesn't want to hire anyone, and is willing to do all of the heavy cleaning, plus the yard, windows, etc.  Problem is that there is too much to do here for two 84 year olds.  He has incredible energy and flexibility, but there are only so many hours in a day!  We also have to shop for groceries, prepare meals, etc. etc.  I'm not complaining, as I know we are fortunate to still be here, and able to get around.  It would be nice to have help, but I don't think it will happen anytime soon.

MarsGal

Good-day everyone.

There hasn't been much going on lately, so I've just been reading the mail.

This morning I had the gas company out to do the annual boiler cleaning and check up. The guy that came, first of said his back was killing him (when I said he looked beat), he managed to break a glass tube and replaced that, and when he finally (he took longer than usual), I didn't see the pilot light come on or hear the boiler heating when I raised the temp to see if it goes on. He checked everything and pronounced everything okay. We shall see. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will be calling someone back.

I got one of the air conditioners downstairs out of its window several days ago. I think the other one can stay in. It is under the porch roof and so is somewhat protected. I plan on covering it. That leaves the two upstairs to take out - sometime soon. The dishes need washed, I need to do some Latin, and there are more shrub cuttings to break up and bag for the trash. I rather suspect the yardwork will have to wait until tomorrow. The Latin always takes me too long, but I am determined to have something to post tomorrow morning.

My sister in Wilmington just called. She said that Hurricane Michael didn't add to the general misery from the last hurricane in her area as it passed west of there. She also was telling me about how the animals and plants have been a bit confused in the aftermath. A number people discovered that after coming back home their pets took off and haven't come back, the birds were confused and some of the shrubs and such are releafing and blooming again (apparently out of season).

Right now (12:30pm) it is 54, sunny and quite breezy.

Mary Ann

Tom takes care of his domain in the lower level and I have no idea how much or how little he does.  Occasionally Annie comes and vacuums both levels; she takes care of the cat litter and sometimes buys new litter, in fact she must buy it all because I don't recall ever adding any to the grocery list.  I do take care of the cat food. 

I almost have my absentee ballot filled out.  There is one that I want to vote on and that is for the School Board.  I do not vote for the Regents and Administrators for the various college and universities in the state because I have no idea who they are.  It's non-partisan and in most cases you vote for two and there are two Republicans and two Democrats. 

The sun is shining on my monitor and unless it goes down. I can hardly see what or where I am typing.  I make corrections when the sun does go down.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior!

Larry, I'm balking at turning that page in the book of my life! Too many pages seemingly fluttered past too soon. Ever since I fell on ice in 2014, it has been like that.

I think that there is still lots of cleanup and extensive areas of outages so it may be that many have yet to get home or have computer access. It sounds as if this will continue for quite a while.

Has anyone tried posting on Joan's son's FB page or looking for news there?

angelface555

Bev was onsite yesterday, she like Phyliss rarely posts anymore altho they look in. Joan last posted on the sixth.

Mary Ann

I hope Joan answers Marilyn's e-mail.  I know both Bev and Shirleyn post occasionally.  Shirleyn lives in Winter Haven and Bev lives in The Villages, both inland from the Gulf of Mexico.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I've seen Shirleyn posting on Facebook, recently.  She's one of my FB friends, and we are both friends with Joan.  I may send Shirley an FB message, and ask her if she's heard from Joan recently?

MarsGal - you sound like you've been really busy lately, what with your yard, your house and the Latin class.  I hope the guy from the gas company, did a decent job on the boiler, so you won't have to call him back. It sounded like he was having a bad day! :(

Patricia - I think that's AJ's problem too . . . he does not want to turn that page on the "book of life"!  I think he'll carry on with the house, yard and car maintenance, as far into the future as humanly possible. 
I did look at both Candy's and Dan's FB, but nothing posted there either for the past couple of weeks.  Since I'm not "friends" with them, I don't know if I can post a message there, but I may give it a try.

Mary Ann

As I write, it is snowing at the Soo, sometimes light, sometimes so heavy you can't see much.  At times, the barrier pole to the channel is distorted nor could you see the ship going through the channel.  And I could not see the sides of the bridge over the river.  The flakes would land on the window of the restaurant, then slide down.  It didn't look as if the snow was staying on the ground but if it is cold enough tonight, there will be snow on the ground in the morning.  There even was blue sky for a few minutes, then came the snow again.  The snow is staying north of us, but who knows how long that will last.  It is 45 degrees here.

I looked at Duluth and the sun was bright there.  A ship is due about 4:30 PM their time, 5:30 my time and I hope to watch it.

Marilyn, as long as Tom can stay with me, I can live at home.  He thinks my little condo will be too large for him after I die so he might sell it (I have a finished lower level and that is where he lives).  He might be sorry because this place is paid for so he would not have to put out any money.  I won't be around to guide him or worry about it.  I am living longer than I ever expected. 

The water at Grand Haven looks so cold! 

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good evening, about 6:30 to night I called Johanna, but did not get and answer. I did leave a message saying we were worried about them

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Lindancer

I AM BACK!  WITH GOOD NEWS JOHANNA JUST CALLED ME AND THEY ARE BOTH DOING OK AND EVERYTHING IS FINE.  ONE PRAY HAS BEEN ANSWERED

Mary Ann

Gloria, I'm so glad that Johann called you back to let us know things are OK with them.  Now if only Joan would let us know how things are with her and/or Candy.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, before I forget it, you asked if I could get anything when I clicked on the sites at the side of the Soo restaurant site (Beaver Island etc), no I do not get anything to show.

I just watched the Walter Mc Carthy go through the Soo, at least what I could see at 9 pm at night.  Paul is waiting to go next but they will have to bring the water down to Huron level, then get it back to Superior level before Paul can move. 

The snow this afternoon doesn't show but they probably will have a frost tonight because we have a frost advisory with a temperature of 31 degrees.  My plants are inside now.

I finished my voting and I left some things blank because I know nothing about those offices and/or people. 

Mary Ann

Beverly

Beverly checking in! I'm sorry I'm so bad at posting but I do read nearly all of your messages.

Gloria - I'm glad to hear Johann and Windell are okay.  Now if we could hear from Joan!

We're still having very warm weather most days. I'm looking forward to temps in the 70s. I'm not complaining, though. I talked to my brother in Vermont last night and they expected a low of 20  by morning.

Chape is watching the first Brooklyn Nets basketball game of the season. It's his favorite team. I think he prefers basketball to football or baseball.

I had my senior flu shot this afternoon. Hoping I don't have many side effects.

This morning we had  the dryer vents cleaned. It was way overdue. We're also having some outside work done. Right now we have a huge stack of wood chip mulch bags in the driveway. Chape has finally agreed to hire someone to help. Maybe I'll take a picture to post after all the projects are done.

Earlier in October our daughter and her husband spent a few days with us. Donna had a work-related conference in Orlando so they took a few extra days for a mini vacation.

Just wondering.......How many of you have received your new Medicare card? They seemed to think I should have mine by now at the doctor's office today.

Have a good night, everyone!

FlaJean

Beverly, I live in Florida and my husband I and got our new Medicare cards the first week in September.  Just thought I would let you know.

MarsGal

Well, Marilyne, the boiler seems to be doing okay, thank goodness. I kind of felt bad for the guy but at the same time was a bit irritated. I am guessing that he was trying not to have to take work off, especially during such a busy time for them. He told me he had to be careful about what pain killers he could take because of his high blood pressure and diabetes. The guy really wasn't in good shape yesterday.

We have had our first frost warnings for the general area. Right now, though, it is 42oF. It is going to be another breezy day.

There is supposed to by an allignment of planets this week or so. Unfortunately, even though the reports says to watch it after dark, three of the planets are still in the late afternoon here. Also, the high cloudiness is obstructing some of the sky. I am getting a good view of Orion, Spica, Polycon and environs when I get up in the morning and when the clouds allow

Sandy

Good Mornning from the colder
and windy, rocky coast of Maine. 

I got my new  Medicare Card with the new
numbers,  last week..   The card is  a bit
smaller and fits nicely in my wallet.   

We are getting a few snow flurries here this
morning ... So it is cold,  but not too bad.   We
are expecting a lot of wind this after noon.   
A good day to stay indoors.   I already have
my soup on the stove for today...    (Winter
Food!)   

Good to see people checking in...   Now
to wait for the rest of those that we
have not heard of for a long time. 

Regarding the boats at the SOO...   
Your best bet is to look at that sight
with Explorer Browser.... 

I can see all of the web cams there,
if I use that browser specifically.   

Hope this helps !
Have a good day,  everyone,
and stay warm..

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Finally we are to have a cooler day only getting up to in the low 70's this afternoon.  This morning it is a pleasant 64 degrees outside.  This is a good morning for a sweater or a light jacket when going out.  I will be picking up my friend and we will go downtown to coffee this morning and after I return him home I will stop at the pickup point and get the grocery order at Walmart that Pat placed a couple of days ago. That is my schedule for today.  Yesterday we did have a pretty busy morning as went down to the Church Bazaar for an hour or so and left a few dollars in the cash box.  We then went to the barber shop where we each got a needed haircut and finally to Walmart Pharmacy where Pat got a flu shot and a Shingles Shot.  I checked my records and found I did have the pneumonia shot a couple of years ago and had forgotten and that I was in error thinking I had to have a second flu shot.  So am down to only needing one more shingles shot and I will be all caught up on shots. I went to the Wednesday night dinner at the Church and Scott joined me and then came out to the house.  I bought a take out meal to bring home to Pat as she was too tired to go back downtown.     

Marilyne, sorry that AJ isn't willing at this point to hire some housekeeping help.  It is good to read that he is able to still do that kind of work. 

MarsGal, we don't have to deal with the gas company as now have an all electric house and our heating and AC is with a heat pump, which works very well here in South Carolina.  The service man was here in the Spring and he told me a once a year check should be fine for us at this time so won't be calling him until spring if all continues to work properly.  We will soon be checking the heat.  I am glad to read that Hurricane Michael didn't add to the misery at Wilmington.  I hadn't heard about the disruption in the animal and plant kingdoms. I see in your later posting that your furnace is working. 

Sandy, I haven't carried my Medicare Card for years as they had our Social Security Numbers on them.  Since I had that number memorized and had only the Part A coverage the doctor's offices didn't need it.  Soup sounds good on a cold day.  Pat has ordered chili beans so know that will soon be on the menu for us.  We have several containers of soup in the freezer, both homemade and some we have from Costco.  They have very good soups and one container makes a nice meal for both of us. 

Mary Ann, you vote on different offices that we do either here or in South Carolina.  It is understandable why incumbents get reelected many times as at least their name is recognized.  I understand that right after this election the new election cycle will begin in earnest.  I, for one, as so tired of the political ads that seem mainly about bashing the other candidate and who knows what to believe. 

Patricia, a good idea about checking Joan's son's page on Facebook but see that Marilyne has done that and it shows nothing about Joan.  You will know when it is time to get help with your housework.   

deAngel, sure glad your mind was set at ease with the return call for Johanna and that the news was good.

Beverly, as always good to see you post.  I will take the warm weather to what they are now experiencing North of us.  However, being a bit cooler for awhile will be very welcome.  It has been years since I watched professional basketball although I like college basketball.  Glad to read that Chape is willing to get the help you all need.  Pat and I have received our new Medicare cards  a few months ago.   

shirleyn

Hi guys and gals.  I received (on Facebook) a request from Marilyn about Joan.  I private messaged her son Dan, and received this reply.  (she had a fall and broke her hip, she had two screws put into hip and is in rehab.)

I hope everyone is well and sassy.  I miss being here, but it is just too much to keep active.  With Facebook I just have to read & only write when moved to do so.   ;)

Love you all!

shirleyn.

Mary Ann

Shirley, that's all you have to do here, too, read and write when you want to (maybe a 'hi' once a week?). 

All is well in our household but Dot has been in a lot of pain recently with a sciatic nerve disease.  She was prescribed a salve that relieves the pain but she also has been going to a pain doctor. 

I'm sorry to hear about Joan and thanks for contacting her son.  She has had a worry about Candy and now she has herself to worry about.

I hope you and Danny are getting along OK. 

Mary Ann

shirleyn

"Hi" Mary Ann!   ;)  Sorry to hear about Dot.  Tell her a "hi" from me, okay? 

Danny & I are doing as well as any two 80-some year old folk can do.  Thanks for asking.

shirleyn.

Marilyne

Hi Shirley - Thanks for contacting Dan, and getting the bad news about Joan.  I hope she heals quickly, and is back home ASAP!  I have heard that hip surgery is so much better now than it used to be, with not so much down time.

Good that you and Danny are doing well.  We miss you here in B&T . . . drop in often, and let us know how you're doing.

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior, no sign of snow here, just freezing rain the past couple of days with daytime temps in the forties and fifties and lows in the twenties and thirties. So far September has been beautiful, barring the last rains, with frosts burning off each day.

I also received my Medicare card in early September and was surprised as usually, we are on the tail end of obtaining these things.

So glad to know about Joan, even with bad news. Hi Shirleyn  :hello:

MaryAnn, a friend has pain such as Dot's and I know she has medication to take the edge off. That type of continuous pain colors everything and is hard to deal with.

Larry, I'm at that point now where I need the cleaning help and am going next week to see about it altho I am not happy at the idea. Today I have a cookbook due from Amazon, as well as the meeting with the MedicAlert folks. Then next Wednesday is the apartment biyearly structural and fire extinguisher inspection. Next month will be my biannual cleaning inspection. Somedays I want to move to a deserted mountain peak just to have some privacy!

Lindancer

Good afternoon, not going to get out of the 40's

Shirleyn, so good to see your post glad you were able to find out about Joan, but so sorry to hear about Joan and her fall.  I read all the post, but do not answer every day,

Beverly, also good to see you posting I receive  my card about 3 weeks ago, and every doctors office I go to they ask for it now. After I sold my car this summer, it took almost two month before I got my ID. I could not do banking, as they would not use my old licence even tho I had been with that bank for years.

Larry last time I was to my primary doctor, I could not get my shots as he found I had a lot of congestion. Saw the hematologist yesterday, did not need a shot but have to come in every two weeks to have blood drawn

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone,
from the cold and windy rocky coast
of Maine.   

Sorry to hear that Joan fell and broke
her hip  ..  I hope that her rehab
progresses well. 

I also hope that Pat who had to have
her hip operation re done and is in a different
rehab facility,  is feeling and doing better now. 

Falling is one thing that scares me ... so I
have to be constantly reminded to slow
down and take it easy  and stop trying
to put my pants on standing up !!!   

Such silly things that can be disastrous
for us as we get older and our sense of
balance changes for what ever reason.   

I use my social security card every time
I go for a bus ride here around town as
it allows me to ride for half fare!
Every little bit helps!   :D

Have a good day everyone...
And stay safe.
Sandy   
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Good afternoon.

I looked back at yesterday's messages and I thought I had posted, but couldn't find anything that I had written

I guess I was kind of busy in the morning, as I had a doctor's appt. in the afternoon.   Everything went well and he said to continue with the same medicine and I don't have to go back until January.  This was with the cardiologist and he was pleased with the EKG and all the results of all my visits with the PT , the OT, and the nurse's visits, which I had taken with me. 

Today, I was discharged from the PT, so only will have the nurse's visits.  Not sure when she will be coming back.  But, everything else is good.

I certainly am sorry to read about Western Joan breaking her hip.  With all she has been through worrying about her daughter, she sure didn't need this additional worry for herself.  I am sure it is very upsetting for her daughter and son, also.  Hopefully,  she will have a good recovery.  Probably be in the rehab center a while.  But, with good therapy,  she should do well.

Sandy, I also have to learn to slow down, as falling is my greatest fear.  My right foot doesn't always want to go where I want it to, and I have to be so aware of that.  Today, before the PT left, she wanted to walk with me down to the lobby to get my mail.  She said I did very well, and she signed off on the discharge paper.  She was a real nice girl, as the all were.  But, the one who came today was telling me that she had not had a very good night.  Her little 4 year old son was up most of the night with stomach problems.  Luckily, she told me that she only had a couple patients to see today and she could go home and rest a little bit.  All the ones who came were very nice, pleasant and did a good job. 

I stopped at Popeye's yesterday and got a couple pieces of chicken, so I have some leftovers for dinner tonight.  And, one of my neighbors brought me a container of frozen home-made vegetable soup this morning,  so I think I will defrost it and have it for over the week end.  She is a good cook, so I know it will taste so good. I am not a big soup person, but I do like home-made veggie soup.  This lady used to work as the cook at our local assisted living place for many years.  She always fixes something good when we have a pot-luck dinner.  So, that is something to look forward to.

I guess I better get myself geared up to try to do some of my exercises.  If I don't get to them in the morning, it is harder to do them later in the day.  I have been setting my timer for 30 min. and doing what I can during that time.  It doesn't seem as difficult to do if I know I only have to make it for 30 min.

Hope everyone will have a good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

I have my new MedicAlert and it goes everywhere, bed, shower, outside even the lower 48 states I'm told. It's fully charged, I called in and they set the GPS, so I'm set. It does feel warm and is quite a long step up from the one I had that only worked on my floor!

Is it weird that while wearing it, I think, "Beam me up, Scotty?"

Beverly

Patricia - Your MedicAlert will give you a sense of security.  If you should fall or need help of any kind, "Scotty" will be there!  :)

At 8:00 this morning the temp outside was only 71. Cooler days are on the way! Of course it was in the high 90s this afternoon.  ::)

The only side effect from my flu shot is a slightly sore arm. Now to get the Shingles shot. I had the earlier one but this new one is much more effective.  I saw the dreadful effects our neighbor had from shingles and post-herpetic nerve pain. He suffered with it for 6 months.

Shirleyn - So sorry to hear that Joan broke her hip. I hope she has a speedy recovery. I wonder if she has a laptop she could use to communicate with us from the rehab.

I checked the Medicare site online and found that the Florida cards have been mailed so we should see ours soon.

Sandy - Nice that you can get you bus fare half off.  Seems like it's a little risky to carry and use the So. Sec. card that way, though.

Mary Ann - I'm sorry to hear Dot is having so much pain. I hope she can get some relief.

Mary Ann

Beverly, it's good to hear from you.  I'll give Dot your message. 

Dot has a doctor's appointment this morning for her pain and if she recovers in time, we will go to a funeral this afternoon.  I don't know if she can take a long session, but the woman who died was 45 and grew up in the church, very active and into a lot of things.  We know it will be a big funeral so I hope we can see the family, then sit in the church, then share in the light luncheon.  Since Dot won't be able to drive, Tom will take us and I'll call him when we're ready to leave.  Saves a problem with parking.  If Dot doesn't feel up to going to the funeral, neither of us will go.

It is 43 degrees at 7:45 am and supposed to get into the mid-50s.  The forecast is for rain this afternoon but I hope the rain will hold off until evening.

It's windy again at Grand Haven and there are whitecaps on the lake.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is a beautiful but cool morning here in South Carolina with a clear sky and bright sunshine.  How could it be any better.  Our housekeeper will be here soon as another two weeks have flown by.  We had a brief visit from our son this morning which was an unexpected surprise.  There is nothing else on the schedule for today and just hoping for a pretty restful day. 

Shirleyn,  thanks so much for checking on Joan and then letting us know about her fall and broken hip.  Glad to see your posting and just know that we miss you and hope you will pop in once in a while and say hi and letting us know that you are all right. 

Mary Ann, I so feel for Dot not that I have ever experienced the sciatic nerve problems but Pat sure has.  Fortunately, after what seemed like many months they went away and the pain just focused in her lower back.  Glad she has something that helps relieve some of the pain. 

Marilyne, they get the patient up right away after hip surgery and start the rehab.  At least we know that Joan is having the care she needs right now and why she isn't able to post. 

Patricia, glad you are having good days but sorry to read of the freezing rain the last couple of days and that sure isn't good.  I think I read that it could take most of 2018 to get all of the Social Security cards mailed.  That has to be a huge and difficult job.  I don't think you will regret getting help with your cleaning needs.  It will give you more time to do the things you enjoy (and take more classes if that is what you want to do). 

deAngel, you are going to feel like one of your pin cushions having to have blood drawn every two weeks but know that it is important for them to stay on top of your situation. Glad to see you are set up with the new MedicAlert.  The one we had also worked everywhere but she couldn't wear it in the shower and she did fall once in the shower but managed to call for help. 

Beverly, we had a cool afternoon yesterday and it was enjoyable and today will be the same. 

Sandy, I am like you and hope that this time Pat gets along OK with the hip operation and didn't have any complications.  I saw a posting she made, I think it was yesterday, that she was to head to surgery in an hour so hope she is on the road to recovery.  Like you I try to be very careful that I don't fall but worry about Pat although she doesn't walk very far without the Rollator or holding on to my arm. 

Joy, nice to see you had a good report from your doctor.  If it isn't broken don't fix it.  That is the same thing my doctors do although have had a couple of new medicines prescribed and dosages increased recently.  Congratulations on successfully completing your PT.  At least Joan has her son and daughter where she lives and is not alone.  I sometimes wonder why we hurry when we are retired and no need to rush.  I guess it is the result of a lifetime of hurrying.  I know my walking has sure slowed down in the last couple of years but I still get there when I get there. Nice of your neighbor to bring you the vegetable soup.  It is hard to beat homemade.