Random Image

Squirrel1.jpg

Owner: RAMMEL
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:24:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

MarsGal, you mentioned that Shan weighs 13 pounds.  Of course, he is young yet.  Kendrick is 5 1/2 years old and weighed 15.6 pounds when weighed at the vet last fall.  He is a BIG cat!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Larry, I can definitely relate to your feelings of relief, when everyone leaves to go home!  Both AJ and I were so happy to see Shelley and Claire arrive on the 24th, but a different kind of happy, to see them leave this morning.  It's hard at our age to have overnight guests, and to have to provide and prepare food for so many extra people. 
all three girls help with the cooking and they do all the clean-up, but it's just having them all here that's exhausting.

Mary Ann, I'd like to see the picture you took of Tom and Annie? Does Annie's SO come to your family functions?  I remember you said he has a daughter, so he probably has his own family obligations. You still have something to look forward next weekend, with the rest of your family, which will be fun all over again.

MarsGal, Same here in California, in that we rarely ever see a police officer, anywhere at anytime?  The freeways and highways are always packed with bumper to bumper traffic, with lots of "fender-benders" and "road-rage", incidents happening at peak times.  However, if we get involved in a minor accident or incident, the cops won't come unless there are injuries.  Otherwise, we have to call AAA or tow company to handle the problems.  The police force in San Jose and surrounding areas is seriously understaffed.

Well, guess I'll start putting away the presents and doing the necessary work that always has to be done when company has been here for a couple of nights. I'll return later this afternoon.   

Joy

Can't say Good morning now, so I will start with a Good Afternoon.

It is a pretty sunny day, but still very cold.

First of all, Larry, I went back several pages and could not find any mention of a "Pat" have some medical issues?  Are you referring to Pat Halbach (?) ?  Sorry that it wasn't such good news. Hopefully she will improve and the outcome will turn more positive.  I am sorry that your son couldn't join you, but glad that Jennifer and Elizabeth came. Sorry that you continue to have furnace problems. Hopefully, the repair can be done today.  And, I do get my hair done where I live. There are 2 girls who come...one on Monday and one on Thursdays.  The one who comes on Thursdays has been coming for a long time and has mostly regulars who come every week, and it is so hard to get an appointment with her. The new girl on Mondays doesn't have as many customers, so I can always get an appointment with her. Plus, she is such a nice person and I like the way she does my hair. Takes a lot of time getting it "just right".  She fits in good with all the residents and I wish she had more customers. But she works at another shop and also works one afternoon a week at a local nursing home and also cleans houses in her spare time. 

Marilyn, I did go to my son's but there were no little ones there.  As it turned out, it was only my son and his wife, and my youngest son and me.  The dinner was delicious..... he fixed my favorite, a beef tenderloin, cooked just like I like it.....medium rare and fork tender. In addition he had crab cakes, broccoli, baked potatoes, and a mushroom casserole. I had taken dessert.... a chocolate bundt cake and a pumpkin cake roll.  Everything was delicious and I even got to bring a piece of the meat home for my dinner tonight.

I also wanted to mention that I used to love fondue.  I like most any kind of cheese.  My middle son always gives me a basket full of all kinds of goodies. This year, he included some Havarti cheese and a small wheel of Brie.  I love both kinds. 

Larry, I also wanted to mention that my son and DIL gave me one of the Instant Pots.  I had talked about getting one, but I don't really have counter space to keep it out all the time.  But, I am going to have to re-arrange some things so that I can make it work. It will take me a while to read all the instructions.  I do plan to make some yogurt in it and will work on some other things. I heard that you can make a delicious cheese cake on one of them.  They gave me the smaller size and I know that will make a perfect amount of "whatever" just for me.

MaryAnn, sorry that your plans were changed, but now you can look forward to having a nice time with everyone feeling a lot better and more like celebrating.

Jean, sounds like you had a nice day, also. Your meal sounds good.

GloriaDe, I, also, hope you are feeling better.  My Christmas day was also a little quieter than usual.  Since it was only four of us for dinner at my son's, the guys did most of the talking. Both of these sons are very much into all the technical stuff revolving around the computer, I Phones and the TV,  My DIL and I just listened and tried to figure out what they were talking about. 

Patricia, I wanted to mention in all the talk that went on yesterday between my two sons, one mentioned a show they watch on the National Geographic channel called "Life Below Zero"  It takes place in the very extreme parts of Alaska. When I got home last night, I was just surfing the channels and came across a Marithon showing of the show. I watched several episodes of the shows.  Wow !  That sure is a very rough way to live.  One episode  was about 2 woman, who were taking a sled-load of "something" to another town and the sledmobile broke down and they had to walk back to their house to get tools and then walked back to repair the sledmobile.  It was miles that they had to walk.  Another man had to travel a very long distance buying many, many batteries so that he would have power in his house. It looked like so many batteries and when he got everything hooked up, he had lights and heat and power to run his home. He mentioned that they would last a very long time..... even as long as he would live.  You really have to admire people who can live a life like that. I think it comes on on Tuesday nights, so I hope I can remember to watch it next week. I think it said a new series would star  next week. I couldn't help by think of you when I was watching it.

Well, like MaryAnn, I sure have written a book, so I will close for now.

I am happy to read that everyone seemed to have a nice day.  Will try to check back later. Time for me to get some lunch now. It will be a very lazy.... do-nothing day, I am sure.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I'm glad to read you had a good day yesterday.  While having young kids around, all adults isn't bad either.  We need the peace and quiet.

Tom left this morning to do some errands and other things.  I thought he'd be back by noon with milk for me, but at 1:30 he isn't back yet, so I had a tub of broccoli salad for breakfast and/or lunch.  It came from the store, but was good.  Last night, I tried to get our grocery online service and it worked.  I have no idea why it didn't work the last few days. 

Joy, I read Larry's message about Pat Halbach at least twice but other than in Soda Shoppe, which was the send time, I have no idea where he posted it.  But I knew who he meant when I read it, after all, she has not been well lately.

Marilyn, the picture I took of Tom and Annie is a rear view and I have not learned to post pictures - and I'm not going to learn.  Annie's SO is often invited to our family things, but it is Annie who makes the decision to ask him or not.  I think he's uncomfortable with it, but Annie likes to have her dad to herself and not have to share her time.  Her SO does have two kids, about 15 and 17; he's not on good terms with his son, but is with his daughter.  The daughter was with us yesterday.  I'm not sure if she lives with her dad or mother, or maybe both at different times. 

I am looking forward to Sunday when we see the little girls.   

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good late morning, (11:30AM); from a chilly Interior at ten below. This climate is a real change from 2006 and before when we would have 30, 40 and 60 below for various two week periods in November, December and January or February. February has nominally been our coldest month. Now ten below seems cold.   ::)

Farrah is doing well, losing weight and becoming more affectionate. I have gained my holiday five, so I've been trying to figure out ways to satisfy my cravings for meat and seasonal hot dishes with my need to get back on a healthier track. Salads always seem better in the summer than in the winter.

At Christmas Eve cocktails, they served mulled wine and also honey mead from an ancient recipe. The wife was an English war bride, and everyone teases her husband who is from Minnesota, that he even sounds British! They have three children, two sons, and a daughter and they are all in college with the daughter at Dartmore.doing  historical studies in England. I'm sure they have grants and scholarships, etc. However, the cost for three children must be astronomical.

Alan and Dora had fifteen people for Christmas, and I was the only single. They had two huge roasts and all the expected crudites and side dishes. Afterward, we played Password which was hilarious as the guys got very competitive and started making outrageous faces and sound before acting offended when their partners had no clue! All in all, it made an enjoyable evening!

MaryAnn, unfortunately, you are no longer able, at least in my case, to post a graphic without being reminded to post words. That is why I posted Everyone, before my Christmas graphic. Annie's eggs benedict sounded good!

Thanks, Larry. I don't believe anything phases, Farrah, anymore. She has quit going to the treat closet, but I notice she empties her dish no longer leaving kibble and she no longer seems heavy when picked up. I'm sorry that Scott was ill and missed the gathering. I hope he feels better soon.

Marilyne, I'd love to see photos of Lily! FDJ had a breakthrough today when Mama didn't run and hide when he came in. She stayed out the entire visit. There are only one male and one female still a bit skittish after five days. They, (Kittens); are midway through their ten-day twice daily meds for URI and no longer seem to cough or breath heavy.

When you think of the previous litter who were partially blinded, and two almost lost their eyes due to an untreated URI, it is incredible what vets can now do. They will go for snips provisionally on January fifteen and if all are no longer feral, adopted soon after. If any remain fearful, there is a prison program where a feral cat/kitten is placed 24/7 with an inmate for further socialization.

MarsGal, I have not seen any curved TVs, but a popular trend here seems to be having a photo or painting for a screensaver instead of a television's black screen. I sometimes wonder if the 48" and larger televisions are overcompensating for something?

I Googled the name of the show, and it takes place one hundred to four hundred miles North of me, out in the bush away from towns and villages to four hundred miles North of the Arctic  Circle. Similar to the show Survivor, they are emphasizing topics to sell the program. It reminds me of my Australian PSP friend who lives in The Australian Outback and the expectations people have of her area.

Just to be contrary, I'm going to post a link to a man and the polar bear who thought he'd be lunch. But couldn't get through the cage, even with a good try!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIql1ZpHovs

Marilyne, we have a large number of various law officers, University police and Feds. While there are the city police, there are also various USAF and Army military police. Then we also have state troopers based here as this is the Borough seat.

We have FBI, and Federal police due to our locality and closeness to Russia and Canada as well as many wanted folks who seem to feel Alaska is a holy grail for hiding out, (It isn't). Finally, we have several duplications of federal and state agencies which mean for example that there is both Federal Fish and Game officers as well as State Fish and Game officers.

Last summer, there was a showdown because while the State has jurisdiction over State waterways, some feds decided to set up a sting operation and were stopping boaters to check for all permits, safety equipment, violations and licenses.

One man objected, and he was tasered and jailed with his boat seized. He sued the government, and the State joined his suit. It is still going on, but his boat returned, and his fine adjudicated. It is an ongoing battle over who has jurisdiction, the state or the feds.

Mary Ann

Easy Eggs Florentine with Baby Spinach and Goat Cheese

When you don't have time to whip up hollandaise and poach eggs -- make this shortcut version of eggs florentine.
Source: Everyday Food, April 2008
25 mins       25 mins   4
Total Time    Prep      Servings

Ingredients

4 slices (1 inch thick) sourdough bread
3 tablespoons olive oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 pound baby spinach
1/3 cup crumbled fresh goat cheese (3 ounces)
4 large eggs

Directions
1. Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat. Place bread on a baking sheet, and brush both sides with 2 tablespoons oil. Season with salt and pepper. Broil until golden, 1 to 3 minutes per side; set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over medium. Add scallions and as much spinach as will fit; season with salt and pepper. Cook until wilted, tossing and adding more spinach as room becomes available, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain off excess liquid; mix in goat cheese. Transfer to a bowl; cover to keep warm. Set aside.
3. Wipe out skillet; heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium. Gently crack eggs into skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook until whites are almost set, about 1 minute. Cover, and remove from heat; let stand until whites are set but yolks are still soft, about 3 minutes.
4. Top each piece of toast with spinach mixture and 1 egg; serve immediately.
I don't know what I did, but this disappeared.  I've read many times about Control (something) and Control V brought it back. 

I'm not a Martha Stewart fan, but Tom likes to heat spinach with various vegetables and he likes goat cheese, so I copied the recipe and sent it to him.  What we had yesterday was rather expensive but Annie's SO can afford it.  If she had to pay for it, she cannot and I think Tom didn't help.  Things do go on that I don't know about!!!

Ten below would be cold here, however, I can stay inside when I want.  I recall on my dad's February birthday one year (before 1970 when he died) it was 20 below.  I think that is about as cold as we've had it, but I am sure the record is lower than that.

Patricia, your activities yesterday sound like fun.  I am not a game person but I do enjoy watching others play games. Just so I don't have to participate. 

Kendrick always leaves food in his dish, but he's always ready for the new food at night.  I haven't convinced him that what is left in his dish is the same as what he's going to get!

We're going to Bud & Stanley's for supper tonight.  Neither of us is hungry and Tom doesn't feel like cooking.  We'll have to stop by the bank because I don't have much money.

I see the stock market zoomed up today.  It makes one dizzy.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I copied just the recipe portion of your post and posted it in What's for Dinner.

I did feel slightly out of place as everyone else was long-married couples but those guys really got into the funny competitive spirit! I don't think there is another single in my group but most of these folks I've known since my early twenties.

What did you think of the polar bear video? Is Michigan a wet or dry climate? Ten below to 20 below isn't more than hoodie weather to a lot of folks but I'm no longer out and about enough to get acclimated.

Mary Ann

Thanks,  Patricia, for copying my recipe to What's for Dinner?  Did you give credit to Martha?  She's not my favorite because she's "too too".  I lost the post the first time and lost the first part of the post when I got it back so I was rather confused as to what to do at that moment.  It isn't what Tom and Annie made, but it looked simple enough for Tom to make and serve for the two of us.  It took a lot of time and effort at Annie's, however, her inexperience contributed.

Tom and I expected to eat at Bud & Stanley's tonight but they were quite busy so we went to Cheers where they were not busy.  I had a Patty Melt which was huge and I brought half of it home (as usual) and also most of the cole slaw.  They have very good cole slaw and I got that in place of fries.

I bought a 2-oz container of catnip for Kendrick and he wants me to sprinkle some around now - and I do it.  It is a more coarse cut than comes in the small packets that come with cat supplies.  I am not always sure any comes out of the container, but I do notice some on his bed where I sprinkle it.

Marilyn, Paul was expected at the Soo when Tom and I left for supper so I did not see the ship tonight.  I hope you did.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

In the Soda Shoppe, JaneS said she had never come to Norm's Bait & Tackle because she thought it was about fishing.  I am sure others have had the same idea.  I tried to tell a bit about the history of B&T but I was not one of the originals; I got involved in the Michigan folder in SN.

Sandy, I think you were one of the original people, maybe Beverly and Shirleyn, Pat Scott and ???.  Would any or all of you please write your version of the start of Norm's Bait & Tackle.  You can read what I wrote in the Soda Shoppe but I don't have things correct.  I'd appreciate any help and I will post it in the SS.  I would also save what others write so I know what I'm talking about!

Mary Ann

Beverly

Mary Ann - I just read your post and I'll try to give you some history of Norm's Bait and Tackle tomorrow. 

My life has been a little topsy turvy lately and I've been neglecting S & F. I've been reading through the messages and have missed quite a lot! I do check into Facebook every day as that's where I have a lot of contact with friends and family back home. We did very few Christmas decorations this year but we did get our tree up and decorated.

We had a very quiet Christmas. Our granddaughter, Erin, her husband and son Brody will be here Friday for a late Christmas celebration.

Larry - I am so sorry to hear of Pat Halbach's recent medical problems. I last "spoke" to her before the surgery.

Marilyne

Patricia - I watched the polar bear video. It was amazing,  and scary,  but also very sad.  I just hope that the bear received some sort of reward for providing such a fascinating video?  I mean I hope they left a large amount of food for him when they were finished filming?

Mary Ann - sounds like you had a good time at Cheers, tonight.  I'm so tired of turkey, ham and all the traditional holiday food, that a hamburger sounds wonderful to me.  Tonight we finished the last of the Christmas dinner, so maybe tomorrow night I can talk AJ into going to Kirk's!

I started posting in Norm's B&T just within the last couple of years, so I don't know anything about the beginnings?  I do remember reading the Michigan folder sometimes, way back in Senior Net, but I never posted there.  I was friends with some of the regulars there, like Katie Sturtz and Sasha.  They both were active in the TV, Radio, Movies and Music folders, where I spent most of my time.

Patricia - Christmas Day with your friends sounds like it was a lot of fun for you. I didn't realize that you had known them all for so long!  I haven't looked at the Kitten Room, since right before Christmas, but will become a regular watcher once again, starting tonight . . . as soon as I leave S&F.

Sandy

For me it all started when we
were posting on the old "Senior Net",   which ultimately ended up dumping us all one day when they decided to get rid of the forems there.     

No warning,  just DUMPED.     
Norm set up "Norms bait and tackle" and a bunch of
us followed him over there.    Then he brought it
back to Seniors and Friends under Pat Scott..

There were quite a few of us who followed Norms Bait and Tackle" ...  and still do.       

It is just another place to gather and chat, open to all, and much to do about nothing at all,  except communicating with friends... coming and going.    Not
confrontational,  so politics and religion aren't
debated.      :knuppel2:

It can be found here: under forems:
  â–º  Village Square â–º  Town Talk â–º  Norms Bait and Tackle

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=34.msg146839

Just pop in and say Hi...  and then when you click on
Unread Posts  or  Updated Topics   it will show up ...   

I am sure that others can explain this better then I.

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  The weather forecast tells us to take an umbrella with us when we go out today as rain is moving into our area.  This is my regular coffee day and I sure hope the rain hold off until I get my friend back to the Assisted Living home as he is not steady on his feet. Last week he almost fell backwards in trying to push the car door closed so I plan on getting out and helping him out of the car.  I do this to help him get in as there is quite a reach to get the door closed and I don't want him falling out of the car.  I have nothing else planned for today. 

It appears the heat pump repair man found the problem which was that the control board they put in a few days ago wasn't starting the defrost cycle as it should.  So he went back to his shop and brought out another replacement board.  I sure hope this takes care of the problem.  It is fine this morning. He stopped by a few minutes ago to check it out and said it looked fine but the test will come when we get the expected rain and he will stop by again tomorrow (he must live close by). 

Marilyne, even with family it is still draining to have others in the house.  We enjoy them and want them to come and visit but are ready for them to leave.  I now realize our week long vacations with my parents yearly put a real burden on them and we should have limited our visits to a couple of days.  However, when you drive hundreds of miles to get home that seems like a very short time.  Fortunately our family lives just 10 minutes away from us and onl  stay for a few hours. We apparently have a well staffed Public Safety Office and adequate police.  I have been told our little town pays policemen better than other towns in South Carolina. 

Joy, Pat Scott Halbach's sister Judy only writes on the Christian Photographer website and that is where I get the information on Pat's situation.  I will be more careful in the future to put in her full name so she isn't confused with my Pat.  I did have an email from my son this morning saying he was able to get some good sleep yesterday and was feeling much better.  He also had a call to reschedule his job interview to tomorrow morning and that also pepped him up.   I hope you like the Instant Pot and glad you got the small one as the big one is really heavy.  I think my wife really likes ours and I really like the food that is cooked in it. 

Mary Ann, I only posted the info on Pat Halbach here and in the Soda Shoppe as these are the only discussion type boards I read and write on each day other than the Christian Photographers website.  Yesterday was some day on the stock market.  There is still a long way to go to recover from this downturn but that situation yesterday helped. 

Patricia, ten below zero is cold.  Glad to read that Farrah is doing well and losing some weight.  What is a honey mead?  It sounds like Alan and Dora put on quite a feast for their many guests.  You do have a lot of police agencies.                                         

Beverly, nice you can have a late Christmas with your granddaughter and her family.  This is the first year in our many years of marriage that we didn't put up a tree and we still have an enjoyable Christmas.   

Sandy, I agree that Norm's Bait and Tackle is the same type of discussion the Soda Shoppe is.  I have thought about suggesting we consolidate the two so that those of us who participate in both could just write in one place but I know that both discussions honor Norm and Joan, who were so faithful to these discussions.

Mary Ann

Thanks, Beverly, I'll look forward to your post tomorrow.  I know Norm's participation in the Senior folders was before he met and married Dot so I am not asking her.  I do recall when he was the Great Dane, she was the Nun.  They were married in 1993.  I think I got involved in 1996 and I remember I had to sign on "quick" so Norm wouldn't be charged for my use. 

I had a funny morning today, at least, to me.  I didn't wake up until 7 am, which was unusual because I usually get up around 3 am.  So I guess I had a good sleep.  I came back to bed, and the first thing I knew, it was 8 am.  I must have gone to sleep but I didn't think I had.  The cat came in about 8:30, I coughed and he left, so I decided it would be a good time to get up.  I was ready to compute at 9 am.  It is now 10:30 and I can see it's going to be a short morning!

Larry, I hope your heat pump problem is solved once and for all.  I know electric heat can be expensive as I had it in my cottage, however, in the summer we didn't need it, maybe in the Spring and/or Fall.  We were only there on weekends.  Norm had a heat pump in Florida.

Sandy, Norm's Bait & Tackle goes back further than when he set it up on Yahoo.  I think it started in the Michigan folder where people got passports to join (at no charge), but it could have gone back to when he was on Prodigy.  If you read Beverly's post, she will write about the origin tomorrow as she probably was one of the original group.

Marilyn, my lunch today will be the half of the sandwich I brought home last night, along with the cole slaw.  Tom went to the store on Monday, but it was kind of confusing because he had to go to another store in the chain and the stores don't always carry the same things at the same price!  I tried our regular store today and I could get in there, however, they did not show previous purchases and I rely on that when making my choices.  I can't relate to having people in the house for any length of time because we always seem to go elsewhere as we don't have a lot of room for others.  I do remember when Tom, Sue and the kids came here to stay that when they left, things seemed dead. 

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning.  A pretty sunny morning, but cold.

MaryAnn, I, too, was up about 4:30 and was on the computer for a while.  I was cold, so I pushed the thermostat up and went back to sleep. Didn't wake up until almost 9.  So, that means it will be a short morning and lunchtime will be here before I know it.  I am like you and spend more time than I should. But, the computer is my life line to so many things, and I do tend to get carried away. I post in a couple other groups and I do the same thing in them. 

I have no big plans for today, except to play cards tonight.  And, I want to move a few things around to try to find room where to put the Instant Pot I got for Christmas.  When I was up in the middle of the night, I was looking for some recipes to make for the small 3 qt. version of the Pot. I did find a couple, but also did find a cookbook especially with recipes for the small size. 

I can't remember exactly how I got to posting on Norm's page.  But, I used to really enjoy all the fun talk between Norm and Papa John. They were a good pair together. That was a wonderful time with all the ones that posted there.  It will be nice to hear what Beverly will tell us about how it got started, I often wonder what has happened to a lot of the ones from "way back when".  I do remember it was a very special group of friends.

Patricia, I went back and watched the Polar Bear video.  Like Marilyn said, it was exciting, but scary.  I watched the one that followed that one with the brown bear. That was even more scarier.

I really need to get a move on and try to make myself useful, at least for a little while.

Have a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, Tom is gone for the day so I don't have to get dressed yet - and here it is after 11:30!  Shame on me, but it's a pleasure I give to myself.

There are a ton of recipes for the Instant Pot on the computer.  If you think of something you like and would like to make, just put the title on the search line and you'll get a lot of choices.  While I bought it for me, I have not used our Instant Pot yet; I just can't get in the mood to cook, since Tom does a good job - when he's around to cook!

Norm felt terrible when Papa John died.  They had good camaraderie and when Norm drove south, he'd stop to see the Murphrees.  And when Papa John was in Florida, he'd get together with Norm and Dot.  One year I was there when PJ and Cornelia stopped.  Oh, Wrinkles was with them (doxie).  One year Jim and I stopped to see PJ.  Cornelia had died by that time and you could tell he was very lonely.  But he was so thankful and grateful that we took the time to visit with him.  His daughter, Martha, lived with him, but she was teaching so we did not meet her.  Such are the people you meet, and like, on the computer.

Mary Ann

Beverly

Mary Ann - Originally on SeniorNet there was the SN International Cafe led by Joan Grimes and Pat Scott. That's where so many of us learned to post in color, etc. using HTML. Norm was a regular in the "Cafe" as was Papa John. I won't go into all the details, but there was a lot of friction caused by some misunderstandings and remarks. As a result Norm left the "Cafe" and started a new discussion he called "Norm's Bait and Tackle". I followed, along with many others, but also stayed with the "Cafe". I'm not sure when he went from posting in the Michigan group to opening up Norm's Bait and Tackle.  I remember the "passports" (all in fun) that we had to apply for. He used to mention his friend, Dot, and we were all so happy when they got married! Eventually I met Norm and Dot and many of the other SeniorNetters, including Papa John. So many have passed on. I also remember when we started to see some posts from you, Mary Ann.  :)   

angelface555

Good morning from another chilly Interior day! This weekend we are forecast to go back to the upper twenties, humidity and one to two inches of snow but what snow sticks is another story.

Farrah is again becoming more active and playful as she loses the weight. She has been following me around and even slept on the side of the bed a few times for brief periods.

I started on the computer in the spring of 2000 and soon discovered Third Age and PSP. Ginny, Bunnie, and one or two others led me to SeniorNet and Den, (Joan Grimes's brother); Glen and Oscar, & Dave. I started posting in Missouri because Bunnie, Rae, and Ginny posted there.

So I stayed with Missouri, Cats/Pets, & Recipes, PSP and computer discussions. I don't know just when I started following Papa John and Norm's friendly rivalry, but I loved it. Then I began posting emails back and forth with Pj which led to posting questions to Norm.

There was a friend of their's who had six sons and a husband, Kon? She was a character and would email me over my name as she thought it was silly and wanted everyone to use their real first names.

From that, I started posting with Adrienne and went from there. I remember when Joan Grimes first started because of her brother Den and MaryAnn because of her brother Norm.

Mary Ann

I think Joan Grimes and Adrienne may have been original members of the Prodigy group but that was before I started.  The woman you mentioned, Patricia, was PRoe, married to Kon, a doctor.  Both of them have died.  PRoe was a character, as you said.  She did not want anyone to know her first name and always went by PRoe.  However, someone found out it was Pauline and posted the name, whether before or after she died, I don't remember.  They had a cabin in Colorado - Cabin Creek? - and they lived in Colorado, too, I think not Denver.

Patricia, your temperatures are like a jumping jack - -10 one day and +20 a couple days later.  We're up to +40 now. 

Kendrick is enjoying his catnip but I don't want to overdo it.  I have been sprinkling it in his bed that he rarely uses now, but he is using the bed more since it has the catnip smell.  At least I know where to find him.

Oscar and Dave could have been members on Prodigy too.  One day we drove to where Oscar lived and visited him and his wife.  Pat Howe might have been another.  We had lunch a couple of times with Pat and Doug.  Friends would visit Norm and Dot when I was in Florida, so I met several of them, probably only once, but at least I was able to meet them.  There was a man named Bob who stopped a couple of times on his way from one place to another.  I didn't meet Bunnie but I read the Missouri folder because of her.  I used to read a folder where Mare and O--- posted and that was probably where I met Gloria Z (Soda Shoppe).  I don't remember when I met Katie Sturz but twice on my way to stay with Tom's family, I went by way of Traverse City to have lunch with her. We were to meet one last time and she called that she had a tooth problem and couldn't meet me and it was shortly after that we learned she had Stage 4 cancer and it wasn't long before she died.  Her son who had ALS has also died.  Jerry2 from NZ posted somewhere that Norm did and I was at Norm's when he and Jerry2 talked by Skype so I was able to talk to him too.  Then there was/is Carolyn who has posted here not too long ago.  Oh, and the couple from NZ who posted; I believe she has died.

One name makes you think of others.  The list goes on and I don't remember them.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

I met quite a few of the people who have been mentioned here, including the Aussies and you, Bev. Some were at gatherings called Bashes which were long weekends hosted by participants who lived near each other in various areas.  Others were ones GinnieB, Helona and I would meet for lunch as they travelled through Oklahoma on I35 or I 40.

I have pictures of these get-togethers and can send a few to someone for posting if there's an interest.

angelface555

That is so true MaryAnn! I remembered PRoe shortly after I had posted and I knew Mare and Katie thru the discussions but never really knew them personally. I knew so many through reading the forums and through the videos of the get to getters, bashes that Adrienne sent me CDs of.

I used to post with Peaches who died of cancer soon after her diagnosis and Carolyn from New Zealand is an Internet friend that I still correspond with. Jerry from New Zealand was one I knew because he intrigued me about his WWII childhood and history, so we began emailing each other. There was another whose wife was Polish that I corresponded with as well.

Oscar and I emailed many times over computers, and he even mailed me a CD copy of the Linux program he used at the time. Bubble was an early friend and of course, Johanne who I met when she came through Fairbanks and  Karren who lived here then. Gladys began emailing me because her grandson lived in Wasilla, so we started becoming friends. For a while, I was doing both the Third Age and SeniorNet, and then they both dumped their forums in the same manner!

There are probably more I've forgotten, sadly. Callie I would love to see copies of your photos! I emailed Helona once about a friend who lived in Montreal and she was able to direct me to relocating her. A very gracious lady!

angelface555

I have discovered another glitch in this program adaptation. I had bookmarked new posts to see all new posts but was sometimes surprised to see posts that were not listed under unread posts, unread topics or updated topics.

They were however listed under the forum tab at the bottom under Seniors and Friends Info Center. Just another hoop to jump through.

FlaJean

"The American Century" ship is coming into the Duluth Harbor.  Just a speck you can see in the distance. It looks so cold and dreary.  One couple walking along the boardwalk? looking so cold.  Brrr

Mary Ann

Jean, were you able to see the American Century?  When I looked at the Duluth screen, it was all wet with colored baubles, so it was either raining or snowing there.  I did find the ship out in the lake and it had already departed.  I saw that lone couple, walking slowly.  Brr.

I think I remember Peaches.  It was Trevor's wife who was Polish and he was writing about her life during WW II and I had saved what he wrote, but I had only an episode or two and he didn't post more.  His posts were months apart.

I forgot about Johann (shame on me) but I don't know how far back she goes; I think longer than I have been in the group.  I do remember Karren and I think I had correspondence with her because I had her e-mail address in my list.  I did not know Gladys but read her posts.  (Norm and I grew up with another Gladys and when she died, I just wrote "Gladys died".  Norm thought of the English Gladys, so you can see his mind was on his computer friends.)

I remember Helona and I believe she hosted a bash in Montreal.  Was it Don who posted some pictures of her shortly before she died?  I think there was a man in Montreal who posted because I showed a picture of an unusual building built for the athletes at the time of Expo and the man said something about that building.  I remember GinnyB's name but I think I was never in a folder where she posted.  I am sure there are many more names we've missed.

It is drizzly here today.  Tom is in Holland and since our temperature is 42 degrees, I don't worry about ice.  Who knows what it will be like around 10 pm if he comes home at that time; we are 40 miles from Holland. 

Again, I've written a book.  I haven't done anything except take another nap and watch some golf.  I have a couple of TV programs to watch tonight and other than that, I'll compute.

Mary Ann

JaneS

Helona lived in Oklahoma  I met her there when I visited Callie.  It was Eloise who hosted the bash in Montreal and the man you're trying to think of is Peter.  He was also at the bash.  And does anyone remember the name of the lady who was registered for the Montreal Bash and who died shortly before it took place.  Her daughter attended the Bash in her stead and she played the bagpipes for us.  I have a picture of her playing the bagpipes but I can't remember either of their names.

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Mary Ann

Jane, you're right, it was Eloise who lived in Montreal.  Thanks for the name of Peter; I just drew a complete blank.

Welcome, Jane, it's good to see you came here.  I think we're a smaller group than Soda Shoppe, but we have the same concerns.  Norm would be happy to know the folder has continued.

Earlier I watched as the Algoma Sault went through the Soo; it was like a ghost ship.  But the Soo was (and is) beautiful with the snow on the ground and you don't see where cars have been on the street - everything is white.  It isn't white here but it's wet.  Tomorrow is to be warm and the temperature will drop considerably by night and the rest of the week will be chilly.

Marilyn, if you're around, I think Paul is headed for Duluth but I can't see Duluth right now because of their weather.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, if you look in within 10-15 minutes, Paul is headed for the Duluth canal.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann -looks like Paul was moved back to the wee small hours of the morning.  No chance that I'll see him this time around!  Looking at the lake, and the snow, I can understand why the boats all take a vacation during these Winter months. Is it mid-January, when all the shipping stops?

FlaJean

Mary Ann, I didn't get back in time to see that ship come into the port.  Right now it is snowing in Duluth.

angelface555

Thanks Jane for explaining about Helona and Eloise. I don't know why I confused the two because I always associate Helona with Callie and there is another one to their trio who I can't remember.