Random Image

papa john

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:15:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryz

Yuck, alpiner.  I hope you're better by now.

Glad you can get all that reading done, Sue.  Keep getting lots of books.  The library is thrilled to have the circulation numbers.  I used to read like that, but just lost that abilitiy about 12-15 years ago.  I always have a book with me (e-book), but usually only read now when I'm waiting for an appointment or if I'm eating alone.  Sighhhh!

jane, sorry about the sleep disturbance.  How much longer will you be on the prednisone?  I wish we had temps in the 60s and low humidity.  It's still near 90 here with the humidity to go along with it.  Defrosting the freezer was one of the jobs John took over after he retired.  He used to hook up the vacuum cleaner, blowing instead of inhaling, so it worked faster. Nasty job!

Sharon, is your back recovering?  I know how you feel about waiting for the doctor visit.

Darlene, I know you'll be glad to have some cooler temps, too.

My bridge partner had to cancel for this afternoon - so no bridge for me until Monday evening.
Oh, well - I'll probably finish the hat I'm working on and start something else. 

Happy Weekend, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

SharonE

Mary, my back is about the same as always--painful, but I think my bruised bottom is getting better. It was really sore since Monday when I fell off the stool.  Did you finish the baby blanket?  I would go nuts trying to knit as much as you do.  I have just never liked handwork.  I read a lot, but if there is something interesting on TV in the evening, I'll watch that instead. I'm currently reading THE LONGEST RIDE by Nicholas Sparks. Interesting and different. I'll tell you the verdict when I finish reading it.

Alpiner, stick to the bland foods for a while and take a probiotic as well.

Jane, 4 1/2 hrs sleep just isn't enough. I do hope you can go off the meds soon or that you will take Melatonin. Lucky you on the cool, dry weather.  We're steamy here.

I have dinner in the crockpot, a new recipe called cracked chicken. I hope it is good. I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs, but you can use breasts too. Then you put cream cheese on top and then sprinkle with Ranch dressing mix. It can be shredded like BarBQ and put on buns. Not sure if we'll do that.

Our Marilyn is going through a rough time now. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.  Sharon

maryz

Sharon, I watch TV in the evenings, but can't watch without something in my hands. I know that handwork definitely isn't for everybody.  I did finish the blanket.  I love doing the things for small children.  I wish I could get more reading done.  I've thought of doing audio-books while I knit, but I really don't like the idea of being read to.

Love those skinless, boneless chicken thighs! 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Marilyn

Well I didn't go to Ca. My plans were all made and cancelled the same day. My daughter decided to be the  one in control and stated that I was not to be there before or after his death., He is still living although  under the influence of heavy pain meds. He is on a Diladid drip and asleep all the time. Ron spent last night  with him and has gone now to get some sleep. He has kept me up to date every few hours all week. Next time he is alone in  the room with Roger he will call me, put the phone on speaker and next to Roger's ear so I can say a few words to him without the rest of the family knowing or interferring.I just want to tell him I love him and reassure him taht it is OK to leave if he is ready to go.

I am hoping maybe I can go for the funeral if I can find someone to make sure that Keith gets meals. I don't trust him to try to cook. He doesn't remember  how anyway. I wouldn't want him to get burned on the glass cook top or start a fire in  the Microwave. I will just have to wait and see.

Gilbert gave me some great advice when he said "don't let them see you sweat" "don't sweat the small stuff"  Being a Hospice volunteer I am aware that there is a great group of Greif counselors available if I need them.

SharonE

I do hope you will be able to say the important things to Roger that you want to. I'm glad Ron is keeping you up to date. You're right about it being dangerous for Keith to try to cook. It must be so hard to watch him go down hill, especially with your son at death's door.  I'm glad that you're aware of hospice grief counselling. John was a volunteer in HH and had nothing but good things to say about Hospice.  Hang in there. You're in our prayers.  Sharon

JeanneP

Marilyn. So hard reading what you are going through. Why do families make things so Hard. Special at time like these.

Was 101 here yesterday. Today storming and only 70 deg. Dropped off my car yesterday to be checked and so far they have not called me. Its 4:30 and they close at five.  It is a 15 min. walk to get down to them. Doubt I could do it in this storm. If I need it it should be sitting on the outside and I can go and use it then take it back to them Monday. Can't see the need to go anyplace.
Hope some can have a nice weekend. Many states still having so much rain.. Half of my GD Village in Connecticut is without power. Maybe it is getting fixed now.  They have a big converter that takes care of their home. Gets a lot of use.....
JeanneP

alpiner1

SharonE    The salsa was less than a week old & I finished of the last bit . Son had eaten some but he had no problem with it .
http://www.rojossalsa.com/

jane

Alpiner...I wonder what in the salsa went bad...and to make you so sick.

Jeanne...it’s wonderfully cool here...in mid 50s just now when I got the paper from the porch...and low humidity.  You can actually breathe outside.

Marilyn...all you can do is work with what you’re allowed with Carol and Roger.  It sounds as if K shouldn’t be home alone.  That has to be a constant stress for you, too.

Mary....I, too, prefer knitting the baby caps or socks rather than big projects.  The arthritis in my hands and the heat have kept me away from the needles.  Maybe this cooler weather will get me back to finishing up  a pair of socks for Ray.

Sharon...any word on new landscaping to meet your HOA rules?

Sue....I often reread favorites when I hit a bad patch with other authors.

Hi to Joy, Darlene, GinnyAnn

Jane

SharonE

Jeanne, your temps are terrible. Hope you get your car back soon.

Jane, I know you are loving the cooler temps.  The HOA compliance committee meets next Wed and they should let us know immediately afterwards.  However, the landscaper can't get here till the end of the month.  Very few books do I like to reread, so don't keep them around.

I'm about ready to go to the FC.  I'm still hurting on my right hip that I fell on, but maybe working out will help it to dissipate.  Thank God for Tylenol and Tramadol!

I just finished reading the SS lesson for tomorrow. The SS lessons cover the entire Bible in 7 years, so this month we are beginning again with Genesis. It's interesting to read the different takes on it.

John earned 4 pts day before yesterday and 7 silver yesterday.  He and Situ are really a good team. I hope they do as well today.  He should reach Sapphire Life Master sometime this year, but he says it is unlikely he will go any higher because of the large # of pts needed for the next level + his age.  Still considering he only started duplicate at age 68 or so, he's done wonderfully.

HOA just sent a different rep out to look at the back. She said she saw no reason it wouldn't be approved.

Hi to all.  Sharon

jane

Sharon...Hurrah for probably getting OK on landscaping. 

I agree on the tylenol and tramadol.  I don't know what I'd do without them when things are really hurting.

Weather here to stabilize this next week...rain out of the forecast and then steadily increasing temps...so I'm enjoying this cool 60s.

jane

Cottoncandy

Good morning...my little area here is flooding...in places..10 inches and it's still raining...one highway closed...rivers overflowing...glad I don't have to go any where...reading and eating on my today's agenda...I like to cook /bake when it's raining...and temp is A rain cooled 65.......love it...
.have a great weekend Darlene

jane

Sounds like our temps here, Darlene....and our flooding situation some places. Thank heavens for some days now that are rain free and the rivers and creeks have a chance to recover.

jane

Marilyn

My son is gone. His spirit left his earthly body at 10:30 last night. No service is planned he will be cremated.

jane

Marilyn...I'm sorry for your loss.  I know it doesn't help the hurt, but he is now at peace and without pain.

maryz

Marilyn, my heart aches for your loss - as I know yours is breaking.  I hope you got to let him hear your voice telling him how you love him.  I know he heard you.

Cottoncandy

Marlyin...prayers and hugs.....Darlene

Marilyn

Mary I didn't get to  talk to him.

SharonE

Oh, Marilyn, I'm so sorry.  Like others have said, your loss must be devastating for you, but know that you have our prayers and thoughts.  Parents definitely shouldn't outlive any of their children.  Big cyber hugs.

I just came back from the FC. After I finished my workout, I went upstairs to the walking track. The Art Club had a show hung on the walls up there.  Mary you would really have enjoyed it.  Are you by any chance familiar with Larry Knabel? He had some fantastic work displayed. He lives here, but was a professional in NYC. Some of the works he had displayed were for sale for 3 or 4,000 dollars and I could see why.  There were 2 or 3 other artists displayed, but he was the best. It really made my day. I love good art.  I don't know if any of the rest of you other than Mary are into art or not, but I think you would have all enjoyed it. It wasn't abstract.

just had to come in and tell about that.   Sharon

jane

What a nice experience, Sharon...I do enjoy seeing the  work of local artists. I love some abstract and landscapes, mostly. 

Those unexpected experiences are the most fun, I think.

I've completed the bed change, the laundry, and a walk...and so I've taken the rest of the day  off.  Thank heavens, our yard guy came.  I was headed out with a big sweeping broom to clean the sidewalk of those &^%$ walnuts that make such a mess.  Here was Matt, raking them all up...and I put my broom away and went for my walk.  Love that yard guy!!

As some of you know, I'm a true-born  Ohioan...football is in my blood.  So...I'm watching all kinds of games today and tomorrow the pros start.  I hate the injuries, though. 

jane

SharonE

We have lots of OSU fans here that bleed crimson & cream!  Flags always fly on game day.  IU isn't a very good football school, so we ignore it in football season, but basketball season is another thing all together! We moved to Bloomington in 1970 when Bobby Knight came and won the NCAA several times before he got weird.  But we've been fans ever since. I was getting my Masters there at the time.  (I did go on OSU"s French study program in Lyon for my final credits in 1974 though.)

Glad your landscaper came and is so good.  Ours broke a ceramic frog that was on a table on our patio and also messed up the sillcock.  Going to have to call the office on Monday.

It's 1:45 and I'm still awake.  I'm going to be great at church tomorrow. Thank goodness I'm not teaching.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good early afternoon, Buddies.  I "taught" the 3/4/5 grade SS class this morning--except the C.E. director stayed in the class and took over.  I could have been in my own SS class and enjoying my friends!  There were only 4 girls there this morning.

Church was nice--a large crowd as the AU football game was at night and many Alums probably stayed overnight with friends or at a motel.  Our female head pastor (she and her hubby who is also a pastor are a team) preached today.  She always does a good job and I enjoyed her sermon.  This afternoon I am supposed to go to a Women's "Gathering".  It's the kick off event where we will get our study books for the year.  Our new pastor who is in charge of AU student activities will lead the first lesson.  Olyne can't pick me up for the meeting so I need to call someone who is going to the church who lives near me.  It will probably be Ethel, but I know she is eating lunch at BK and may just sit over there with friends until time for the Gathering.

Not much else to report.  I'm going to read until time to leave for the meeting.

Marilyn, I am so sorry about your son.  I know you must be heart broken, but your faith will carry you through this.  I'm especially sorry about your daughter's attitude.  I know it must be VERY painful.  Thoughts and prayers for you from here.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Hi Gals. I did make it to church and SS and haven't gone to sleep yet, but close.  Brian called a bit ago and we had a nice long talk.  John is, of course, playing bridge, the last day of the tournament. I hope he does as well as he has so far this week. He has earned 16 silver points!  And felt he played badly yesterday!!

Not much else going on here  Hi to everyone.  Sharon

JeanneP

Finely the rains have stopped. So cold today. Was tempted to turn the furnace on but I just used a heater. Like to get the furnace winterized first. Feels like fall. Such crazy weather.
I am now getting where my fingers are beginning to pain when we have cold,wet weather. Use to be just my thumbs.

Marilyn. Sad to hear of your son's passing. Wish it could have brought you family together for it. But he will be at peace now.
JeanneP

joyous

Marilyn: I feel for you as I just went through the death of my oldest daughter (in her
60's) who had been SUFFERING  for almost a year with an i..ncureable (sp) disease.
(vasilitis) .
Joy

Marilyn

Blessing to you and for you Joy. No mother should have to go through this.

joyous

The medical name for the disease is Churg-Strauss-Syndrome.
Bet you never heard of it , as I did not.
Joy

alpiner1

Our daughter lost both of her sons , youngest passed 5 years ago & her oldest son a year ago . Every year she she remembered the youngest son's passing & probably had a nervous break down . The boys (men) were very close & the oldest drank himself to death mourning his brother . Our daughter was by his bed side every day until he died .  This year she started drinking , I got a pm from her husband on facebook telling me she was passed out drunk on the bed & maybe I could talk with her , he had disabled her car . . I was recovering from food poisoning but called & left a message on her cellphone to please call us , we were concerned . She called & Norm talked with her . She said she was going to the doctor the next day & she did  .  Blood work was done & her potassium was extremely low .  The doctor gave her a prescription for some pills & a shot . She is to have more lab work done tomorrow .  Praying her heart wasn't affected .  She needs help badly & is getting counseling . Her husband is a gem ! 

SCFSue

Joy and Marilyn, prayers from here for both of you.  I am so sorry for your loss.  Bless you both.

Sharon, I know you enjoyed the phone call from Brian.  Has he retired from his service (was it Air Force?).  Bill usually calls me on Friday afternoon on his way home from work and it's nice to hear from him.  Jon and/or Stacie try to call me every week or two also.  I'm going to the beach with Jon and Stacie over Thanksgiving--so am looking forward to that visit.  Jon will drive up here to pick me up and we'll meet Stacie, Alex, and Nic at the beach.

Jeanne, it's hard to imagine such wintry weather up there.  We're still having high's in the 90's most days down here in Alabama.  I'm trying to get outside to do a bit of yard work each day before it gets too hot. 

Alpiner, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's problems.  I have added you and her to my prayer list and hope that the pills and shot bring her out of this--as well as the counseling.  Please keep us posted.

I'm not expecting Tim this morning.  He came by and did some work under my house on Sunday while I was out at the Circle Gathering meeting.  He left me a note and told me he'd try to get here tomorrow.  We have our usual library, lunch, Kroger date set up for Friday.  We've had a lot of rain and I'm assuming the work he did was related to that.  My home is on a slope and rain water runs right down to the basement area.

Jane, I found my old Christmas lists and will look for GinnyAnn's address this afternoon.  I'll let you know what it is when I find it.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Alpiner, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughter's (and your) loss and her depression & drinking. I hope the Dr can help her back to normal health and mental health.  Although losing 2 sons would send anyone into a deep depression.

Joy, I never heard of that disease either. I hope you are able to work through your grief. Fortunately, your other girls are there to help you, and I also know you have a strong faith to support you.  Like Sue said, both you and Marilyn are in our prayers.

Sue, Brian retired a year ago in July after 25 yrs and as a full Colonel. They are now living in southern IL near St. Louis and Scott AFB. He is working under contract with one of the big aviation companies on a project at Scott.  Unfortunately, he doesn't call too often, maybe once a month, but he knows the girls call frequently and of course, I still have John. We are in the high 80's now and expect to get lots of rain and wind from Florence Th & Fri at least. Hopefully, that's all.  Our electric lines are underground and we have no big trees around to threaten our house.

I never did nap yesterday, so I slept like the dead last night.  I hope Jane got some sleep too.

John was a counter of church monies this morning and isn't playing bridge today.  Situ has decided he needs to take care of his wife now (gum problems or something) and so won't be playing any time soon. Of course that is a bummer for John.  I hope Situ's wife recovers soon.

I did 2 loads of laundry yesterday and have one in today. Nothing else much that I need to do today.  Oops, I just remembered our first Book Club of the Fall is tonight. Hi to all. Sharon

maryz

alpiner, I'm so sorry about the loss of your grandsons and your daughter's problems dealing with it.

Our group is having some devastating losses of those young people.  We all need to hold our friends and loved ones close and tell them frequently how much they mean to us.

Dear love to all my Buddies!