Random Image

steam punk

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:08:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where we are at plus 13 and heading toward a high of plus 22. We're already heading back toward this weekend's projected minuses.

Larry, the university has no connection with the city other than its main campus is located here. They each have their home activities geared toward their own audiences. I believe the university had their program first and the city copied the idea. The university covers most of one of the lower ridges and a dome while the city sprawls up two other ridges and down onto the valley floor.

We didn't have a television until after the 1967 flood as my parents weren't interested. They preferred the outdoors. And I was born in 1951 so I really don't know anything about Guy Lombardo or Dick Clark for that matter. So I Googled. "Gaetano Alberto "Guy" Lombardo was a Canadian-American bandleader and violinist of Italian descent. Lombardo formed the Royal Canadians in 1924 with his brothers Carmen, Lebert, and Victor, and other musicians from his hometown. They billed themselves as creating "the sweetest music this side of Heaven".

"Beginning as a nonet, the Royal Canadians numbered 16 by 1968. Long tenure was common in the orchestra. Dewey Bergman was Lombardo's arranger from the orchestra's inception in London, Ont., in 1923 until he died in 1971. Guy's and Carmen's siblings Lebert (lead trumpeter), Rose Marie, and Victor and their brother-in-law Ken Garner were all band members."

"Guy Lombardo, Brother-in-law of singer Kenny Gardner, who was married to Lombardo's sister."

SCFSue

Angel Face, my goodness!  You are so YOUNG!  I am approaching my 82nd birthday--and danged glad that it's coming up in March.  I had thought I'd make it into my  late 90's as I have about 5 relatives who have done that, but I've had to get a pacemaker for my heart and don't think I'll reach 98 like my grandfather's 2 older sisters did!  I live alone and cook, clean, and mostly read each afternoon, so don't do much else.

Hello to every other person looking in here this morning.  I need to shower and get dressed.  I've several books I want to finish reading before my Friday trip to the library with my son!

Sue

Marilyne

Just a quick hello, for now, as I'm planning to go to Sandy's apartment with AJ this morning, while he installs her new shower head and extension. That was her Christmas present from us, along with a new pillow. We will probably take her out to lunch afterwards.

I heard from shirleyn this morning.  She is feeling the affects of her chemotherapy, so has not felt like posting a message here.  She only has one chemo left, next week, and then will have to go through a series of radiation treatments.  After that she will be finished, so sounds like her long term prognosis is good.

angelface555

I saw this quote and thought I'd post it due to the previous discussion about the author;

"A THOUGHT FOR TODAY:
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." -Isaac Asimov, scientist, and writer (2 Jan 1920-1992)"

Sue, when I first met Rae online in SeniorNet, she dubbed me the Junior Senior," because at that time I was only 49 but felt much older due to certain events.

Marilyne, I hope Shirleyn feels better soon. I am so happy that she's doing well in her treatments!

I'm having issues with my shower as a previous tenant replaced it with a "rain" style shower head that seems blocked even tho I regularly clean with vinegar. Perhaps you and AJ might stop and take a look on your way home? Hmmm?  :) 

Marilyne

I'm home again, Sandy's shower is all ready to go, and we had a nice lunch.  There are lots of small locally owned restaurants near her, so it's always hard to decide which one to choose.  This time, just a cozy little coffee shop, where we all had sandwiches. I had grilled cheese, and AJ and S both had egg salad.  Comes with your choice of potato salad, cole slaw or soup, which is what I had. (tomato rice)

Patricia - Sorry, we didn't have time today to stop and fix your shower head. :D  Ah, wouldn't that be great, if we all lived close enough to help each other out when needed, or just sit and visit!

So now I'm going to start putting away the tree ornaments, the tree, and all the other Christmas stuff that's still sitting out.  AJ is going to take down the outside lights. After that, I'm going to sit back and watch the Kitten Cam for awhile, and then read or find something interesting on TV.

CallieOK

Good Afternoon,

Patricia,  thanks for the name of the singer with Guy Lombardo's orchestra. He' probably the one Barb and I were swooning over and were sure was staying at our hotel.  This would have been around 1948-1949.

I've had a lovely long visit with Misses Ellen and Emily - and a delicious lunch from a local deli I haven't been to in a long time.
Had longer with Ellen because she got here first and then Emily had to leave to take their Mom somewhere.  That's o.k. because Emily and I had spent some time together earlier in her vacation.

I pulled up the Times Square webcam and Ellen was able to tell me all about the area.  She said the restaurant where she is Hostess is about 2 blocks east on the street shown in the cam.

Also showed her the Harbor webcam that concentrates on the cruise ships docked at Pier 8.  She said it's a few blocks on past the restaurant and passengers often come in for lunch while they're on their "day ashore".

The weather forecast keeps changing and snow/ice is now predicted staying south of OKC. However, the paper reported it would be "north".  Wanna bet it will right in the middle and I'll wake up to a white yard?  ;) 

Nothing on t.v. that I'm interested in so I'm ready to "tuck in" and read.

Mary Ann

Callie, I just tuned in on the Weather Channel and they mentioned OKC as getting an amount of snow.  They did not mention what part of the city would get the brunt of the snow.

Tom has gone out to drive for a while and said he'd be back by 7 pm. We have had a drizzly snow all day.  Maybe winter is going to set in now.   Tom likes to drive in bad weather because he thinks there are fewer Uber drivers so he can make more money!

Mary Ann

CallieOK

The 6:00 news sounds as if we're going to have a Major Snow Event tomorrow that will affect the entire area. The temperature is below freezing and the videos are showing glaze ice on the metro highways.  NOT good to have snow on top of that!!!!

Mary Ann

Tom came in about 7:30 from driving for Uber and said it wasn't worth going and the weather was getting worse.  He is staying in the rest of the night.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is early for me but I woke up a little after 3 am and couldn't go back to sleep so after laying in bed for quite awhile I decided to get up and get busy.  The main activity this morning is to pick up my friend and we will go to coffee.  After I drop him back at his apartment I need to stop at the Credit Union close by and cash some savings bonds that have matured and then go on over to Walmart and pick up a prescription for Pat.  That will be plenty for today.  Yesterday we did go to Diablo's for lunch and then around 6 pm Scott came out and spent a couple of hours with us.  We are going to have another rainy day with the high in the mid-60's.  So I will keep my umbrella with me when I am out of the car this morning.

Mary Ann, a fried egg wouldn't be any better than a poached egg especially if the yoke would run.  I often put chopped vegetables and bacon bits along with cheddar cheese in the scrambled eggs I fix for Pat.  Sometimes just for variety I put a tablespoon of Chunky Salsa in the scrambled eggs to provide some variety.  You have me beat on the ketchup on mac and cheese as I have never had it that way.

Patricia, thanks for the explanation of the two fireworks displays.  I think we had our first television in 1957 and it was a pain to keep tuned in and only a few stations we could pick up with our roof antenna by moving the direction it pointed.  I didn't realize that Guy Lombardo orchestra started in Canada.  Do you remember Fred Waring?  We had the occasion years ago to spend a week at his resort in Pennsylvania in the Pocono's named the Shawnee Inn but I think he had died by the time we stayed there.  Over the years we have had some younger folks participate with us and they are always welcome.  As far as I know we have no age limit. 

Sue, don't give up hope on getting to your 90's.  I have had a pacemaker/defibrillator going to 13 years and before long will have to have the 3rd one as they don't replace the batteries but put in a whole new unit.  You are about 4 years older than I am and one of my previous cardiologists said he would keep me alive until 80 and a later on said she was aiming for 90 so I am optimistic that I might reach 90. 

Marilyne, I bet Sandy will be happy to have the new shower head to use and you trip there also gave you and AJ a little more time with her as you could share a meal out.  Thanks for the information on Shirleyn but sorry to read that she is not feeling like posting.  Hopefully after the last chemo she will start to feel better.  I took the wreath off our front porch windows yesterday so basically we have finished putting the Christmas decorations away. 

Callie, nice that you had some good time with your granddaughters.  I expect it will make your viewing of the NYC cam more interesting since Ellen was able to tell you all about the area.  I hope you don't get too much snow/ice over night or today.  I hope you don't have to get out until your roads are nice and clear of any ice or snow.

JaneS

I sure hope all the activity in here doesn't mean that the Soda Shoppe will soon be defunct.  I think that might upset Joan and I really miss her.  She did keep us going. Have a lovely day, Everyfriend!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Mary Ann

Larry, one thing about eggs is if you like them hard, you can have them that way whether they're boiled, poached, fried or in an omelet.  I happen to like my eggs a bit runny and run my toast through it. 

Callie, I hope you didn't get the snow overnight that you expected.  I see we had some snow, but not much.  Radar shows things are clear for a while.

Jane, I don't think you have to worry about losing the Soda Shoppe.  From what I read in both folders, there are plenty of participants, and some of us post in both folders.  And some in only one.  How I find as much to post in each folder as I do amazes me because I don't do much.  I enjoy reading posts from everyone, regardless of which folder they're posting in.  I'm an equal opportunity reader.

Jane, I am not sure you realize how long this folder has been going on in S&F.  I know how it began here but not when, but Norm died in 2015, three years ago, and we were going before that.  When B&T moved from Yahoo, most of the "old faithfuls" followed and others joined in.  We were in operation before Joan died and were never in competition.  So post here if you like and don't if you don't want to. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

When I finished here, I went to the ships.  Nothing was doing at the Soo but I found out Paul is due to arrive in Duluth within an hour.  While looking at the Duluth canal, a huge hunk of ice went by, going toward Lake Superior.  There is a lot of ice in the canal but none of it is solid.  In two weeks, the shipping will stop for a couple of months.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - As soon as I read your message, I looked at the Canal schedule, and see that Paul, will now be arriving at 3:00 PM today.  That would be 1:00 here, so I intend to be watching, unless I can get an appointment with my opthalmalogist this afternoon.  I'm having some eye issues, and have to see him ASAP.

Callie - On our News last night, they showed a map of the snow storm that's expected in your area.  The arrow pointed directly at OKC, and I thought about you, and hope that you don't get snowed in.

All this talk about Guy Lombardo, made me look in my archives, where I found a most interesting video of his orchestra playing the song, There Ought to be a Moonlight Savings Time, from the 1930's. This is such a cute and clever rendition of that song, and I know you will all enjoy looking at the pictures of the people posing for pictures of themselves "sitting on the moon". One of best YouTube music video's, IMO. The vocalist with the unusual voice is not Lebert, but is Carmen Lombardo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYH1kLyH6OY

CallieOK

Thought I saw something Paul's size moored at the far end of the Harbor cam - about where ships usually turn the corner - but map didn't show him anywhere around.

OKC area is having all sorts of wintery weather today.
Cars fishtailing and spinning out on icy roads in the south part,  DIL posted Facebook pix of their snow-covered yard in the west part and it's raining at my house "North of Noon".

I'm glad my pantry is stocked and I have e-books available but Cabin Fever is beginning to set in.   :o

Onward and Upward

Mary Ann

Marilyn, thank you for posting Guy Lombardo and "Moonlight Saving Time".  I was 7 in 1931 and I recall singing the song often.  I have the sheet music shown at the end with Rudy Vallee on it.  I saved your link, so thanks again.

Tom and I are going out for lunch - don't know where but it will be in the north end, probably along Plainfield Avenue.  We usually wait until 1 pm when things are less busy.  He just got home from a meeting and said it is cold and damp out.  Our temperature is 34 degrees, warmer than what it has been recently, but not what you would call warm.

I am in the process of doing some sorting, only I haven't started yet.  I'll start earlier, but evenings are best when I don't have anything to watch on TV. 

When I posted that about Paul, he was scheduled to arrive at 10:45 am and the next time I looked, it was 2:45 pm.  I hope to watch him/her but there will be other ships, in case I miss the ship.

Callie, I hope your weather settles down.  Evidently driving here isn't too bad but that doesn't seem to bother Tom as he likes to drive for Uber in bad weather, thinking other drivers may not.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I see Paul is now scheduled for 2:15 CT which is 12:15 for Marilyn, and 3:15 ET for me.  I should be home by then as we're leaving about 1 pm.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where we'll be shooting for a high of 22 but are at present on plus 4. Farrah is presently playing with an old toy I brought out yesterday, the revolving mouse under the blue skirt. It hasn't been in rotation for months.

Larry, I don't think you and I are that far apart age wise. I googled Fred Waring who operated in one form or another from 1933 to 1957. He also was an enthusiastic promoter of the Waring blender and died in 1984. We didn't get a television until after the 1967 flood so anything previously I probably wouldn't be aware. I remember our first evening's lineup was Combat with Vic Marrow, Disneyland, then the Big Valley with Barbara Stanwyck.

We were running wild in the summertime after chores, and in the winter, after chores, we had homework to do and reviewed by Dad before television so that may be why my older sister and I never became used to it. My younger sister, ten years younger ran her TV at all hours as she was exposed more at an earlier age. Now she's on her computer and involved in retirement planning. Life is always evolving, isn't it?

MaryAnn, today is my hunting and gathering day, (Thanks Callie for that expression!); so won't be seeing Paul. And with all of that fresh snow on the black ice, I'm not looking forward to it but will have the buses for most of it. It's becoming a hassle to arrange and find my lists and bill info, making sure I'm prepared and planning my routes around town.

It won't be long until I have to use Vantran except they only have routes with no extra stops and taxis are prohibitive. I have friends that shop and "do lunch" almost daily and would welcome me, but that has never been me. I'm the type to get in and get out instead of meandering.

Marilyne, I watched the video, and I'm assuming the photos on the moon were on tour stops? Carmen certainly had a distinctive voice and reminded me of Rudy Vallee and his megaphone. I'm only familiar with the Lawerence Welk show as my mother was a fan. My sister and I would be home right after it started, arriving from the Sunday movie matinee. That brings up other memories as just before the matinee; the presenter would come on stage to collect foil and other items for the Korean war effort.

Joy

Good afternoon.

I did not get in here yesterday at all.  I was busy most of the day, but can't really see what I did .  Got rid of a lot of papers and did a lot of shredding.  Bundled up a bunch of catalogs, also.  :2funny:  That kind of stuff just seems to appear out of nowhere. I thought the catalogs would stop after Christmas, but got a couple the other day.

Larry, you mentioned Fred Waring.......   one of the residents that used to live here had worked for him up in the Poconos.  She was a hostess and her husband was one of his chauffers.  She told some nice stories about when they worked there.  I used to like his music, also.

I got a grocery order delivered this morning and it is all put away.  This local store that delivers is a little more expensive than Walmart, but I do like their produce better. 

I had a call from one of the ladies who plays cards and she is sick, so I told her to just skip tonight's card game. One of the other ladies is away and sometimes it is hard to get a substitute. We will just wait until next Tuesday.

It is a kind of cloudy day, and chilly. I think I heard rain for tomorrow and then a nice sunny day on Sunday.  We are having our family's Christmas party on Saturday, so I have some things to make for that.  Most of it I can do ahead of time and will work on all that tomorrow.

I did get a couple items that I plan to fix in the Instant Pot, but that won't be until next week.

It is time for lunch now, so will fix me a nice roast beef sandwich.

Have a good afternoon.

Joy
BIG BOX

CallieOK

Almost all areas seem to have become slush now - which will, of course, refreeze overnight.  However, it's all supposed to be over tomorrow and then we're headed for 60 degree temps.  Crazy!

Patricia,  I've always enjoyed going out with friends and then "doing lunch" but I'm not a meanderer, either.

I remember going to a "mart" with three friends and leaving them as they started wandering to go to a back corner and get some item I'd been wanting that was in that area.  I found it and a couple other things but when I came back, they weren't even halfway down the first aisle!!  They would stop, pick up an item, look at it from all angles, discuss - and put it back and move a couple of feet to something else.  I finally went up to the front and sat down to wait for them.

Mary Ann

Unless the schedule changes in the next few minutes, Paul is now scheduled to arrive in Duluth at 2 pm, 3 pm my time and 12 noon for Marilyn.  It would be 10 am for Patricia and you will be hunting and gathering at that time.  Paul is on the horizon so I will go watch the arrival.

Tom and I went to a steak house today, somewhere we haven't been in ages.  I had a burger, ate half and brought the other half and most of their home-made chips home.  Tom had a chicken skewer; we both liked what we had.

After Paul's arrival, I think I'll take a nap and maybe Kendrick will join me.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I just now watched Paul's arrival. I'm always surprised at the large amount of people who gather at the canal to watch him come and go. No matter the weather or the time, there are always people there. It sure does look cold in Duluth!  I forgot to check the temperature ... I think it's on the schedule page?

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I went back to check the Duluth temperature and it is 34.5; it is only 36 here.  The temperature is on the Duluth Harbor cam page. I watched the ship come in, too.

Nap time.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia and Mary Ann - I remember my mother telling me that having your picture taken, while sitting on a cut-out of the moon, was a very trendy thing in the 1920's and early 30's. Professional photographers had a moon cut-out in their studio, so that's why all the photos are so clear and carefully posed. Photographers also had a set-up at fairs, boardwalks, etc. You could have them put on post cards, which is why so many have survived. The man who set this up on YouTube, must have gathered all those different pictures, over time, and worked hard to make this video.  It's one of the best music videos that I've seen on YouTube. I've always intended to look and see other videos produced by him, but not sure how to find them?  I guess by clicking on his name?

Beverly

I'm a few days late but I wish you all a Happy and Healthy 2019! I started the year off on the wrong foot by coming down with a nasty virus on New Years Eve (My hubby shared his with me!) Terrible cough followed by a bad head cold. I spent the last couple of days either in bed or the recliner. Today has shown a lot of improvement.

I join those who miss Guy Lombardo on New Years Eve. Do they even sing Auld Lang Syne anymore?

Jane - Nice to see you posting in here. Norm's Bait and Tackle goes back many years. Remember when the Soda Shoppe was "Bis' Nest" on SN and Joan went by Biscuit? We met at several of the bashes.

My daughter, Lauri, is on her way to Thailand. She flew last night to Qatar, a 13+ hour flight, has a 10 hour layover and tomorrow flies to Bangkok. We had a chat this afternoon on the Facebook Messenger. She said the airport in Qatar is beautiful and has a lady's lounge complete with recliners where she can rest. Her friend, who is on a sabbatical in Thailand, will meet her in Bangkok. After a few days there, they will continue on to Shanghai. It's a trip I can't imagine taking!

I don't have much of an appetite, but need to go find something to eat.

Mary Ann

Beverly, it's good to see you in here again and I hope you'll be on top of the weather (instead of under it) soon.

What a trip for your daughter.  I hope she has a good time.

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning.  Looks like I am the first one here this morning.  Wanted to mark my place as it is too early for anything interesting to write about.

Beverly, that sounds like a wonderful trip for your daughter.  I have a great-nephew who married a Malaysian girl and they live in  Qatar now.  They met when they both were teaching in Florida and after getting married, he moved back to that area. A couple years ago, he was chosen to start a new school program over there for Special Ed children.  His parents, my niece, have visited over there and say it is a beautiful country.  I had read that it is one of the richest countries in the world.  Many, many perks for living there.  And, they treat the Americans very well.   They now have 2 children and just were here for Christmas. At first, his family was not real keen on him marrying a Muslim girl, as he had to change his religion  in order to marry, but they all have just fell in love with his wife.  I have not met her, but understand that she is a very sweet girl and loves to come over here to shop. She has 4 or 5 sisters and they always want her to bring them purses  back when she comes here.

I have had my breakfast and now have to figure out what I will do today.  Tomorrow is our family's Christmas party and I have a couple things I plan to make to take.  I can do most of them today.  So, guess I better get myself moving along

Hope everyone will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Good morning, everyone.  Joy, I don't have anything to tell about yet (probably never), and I don't have anything as interesting as a great-nephew marrying a Muslim but that is a great story, interesting.

Tom has returned from teaching his Bible class and I don't know what he'll do the rest of the day.  I think he still tries to recruit semi drivers, but if I were a driver, I'd steer clear of northern areas because of the weather. 

Radar shows our area clear of precip and there is little snow on the ground.

A ship that was to arrive at 9 am hasn't arrived yet, which is nothing unusual.  It just didn't get started from Point A so it can't get to  Point B when the schedule says.

There's that cute picture of Shan in the Random Image box. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Today is a 100% rainy day until late evening.  A couple of things I had planned to try to do today are going to have to wait until next week.  I had a good nights sleep last night but am so tired this morning I can hardly force myself to move but did get my kitchen chores done and things set out for Pat's breakfast, although I may see if she feels up to preparing it herself.  I think today will basically be a day of rest.

Jane, I am confident that both of these Discussions will remain as long as the site exits.  While there is some duplication of people participating and thus similar posting, there are also people who post only in one or the other of the Discussions.

Mary Ann, my problem with eggs is that I really don't like them and I think it goes back to being served soft fried eggs and seeing the yolk run across the plate. 

Marilyne, sorry to read that you are having some eye problems and hope it isn't something serious.

Callie your weather even made the national news program I watched yesterday evening. At least your snow and ice isn't going to stick around very long.

Beverly, glad to see you were feeling better from the virus yesterday and hope today finds you feeling even better.  I heard Auld Lang Syne being sung on New Years.  That is some trip your daughter is on and with a 10 hour layover I am sure the recliners are a very welcome surprise to travelers. 

Patricia, I do remember seeing Fred Waring on TV and certainly heard him on the radio.  You have quite a memory to be able to recall the TV line up when you first had TV available.  I always liked Barbara Stanwyck as an actress.  I agree with you when I shop I want to get it done and get out of the store. 

Joy, I don't think catalogs ever take a break in mailings.  It sounds like Fred Waring must have been a nice person.  This is suppose to be our last rainy day for several days.  They said on the local news last night that this is the 10th day when we have had rain, although many days it was it was light rain and not every hour.  I see you and your family are still in the Christmas spirit with another event to attend.

Mary Ann

Larry, rest away, we need you.  I like eggs, but not a steady diet of them, also I do not like to eat early in the morning.  I'm reminded of days of working when I ate early and thought nothing of eating my breakfast at 6 am then.  But I have changed.  I have a cookie and coffee when I first get up and I will have my breakfast anywhere from 10 am to noon. 

Tom came home from his Bible study an said it was nice out.  My radar shows nothing of rain or snow for a day or two.  I wonder if we will have a mild winter.

I used to like Fred Waring's programs and watched them regularly.  I miss those old musical programs but I know I am in the minority - and wrong generation.  Crime does seem to pay - at least on TV. 

Mary Ann