Random Image

Fiddleheads

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Mary.

Not made any in awhile.  Seems like I used about 3 Baking size potato cut up in dissed size and a mid size onion.  Going to have to try some this next week.   I love it on sandwiches also Same with Spam.  They now have a Spam with lot less salt and Cal. in it.  Pretty good.
JeanneP

MaryTX

JeanneP, thanks for sending the amounts.  I'm going to make some for supper. 

I also love Spam, altho I don't care for it cold. I grew up on Spam fried in a little butter along with fried potatoes.  A filling and economic meal.

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

Jeanne Lee

Spam and cheese makes a great sandwich.  And scrambled eggs with Spam and cheese and onion is delicious.  I try to always have a can in the pantry.

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

so_P_bubble

You are all making me hungry!!! ;D

JeanneP

I was thinking that  Spam would not be sold in Israel with it being made from Pork.  But never know, seems everything can be bought anywhere now.

Bubble.  Have you gotten you Passover baking done yet? Have a good one.
JeanneP

FlaJean

I was surprised to learn that my new range has a "Sabbath" setting to be used for Jewish religious days, special occasions, etc.  I'm enjoying my new range but haven't used the oven yet.  I better give it a try soon in case it doesn't work properly.

Kelly

I rather Corned beef sandwiches!

kelly

so_P_bubble

Quote from: JeanneP on April 22, 2016, 12:10:47 PM
I was thinking that  Spam would not be sold in Israel with it being made from Pork.  But never know, seems everything can be bought anywhere now.

Bubble.  Have you gotten you Passover baking done yet? Have a good one.

Sure all is done and ready!  As traditional in the family, we have a leg of lamb in the oven, roasted potatoes, fresh string beans in a tomato sauce as a main course.  We start with an assortment of salads and picked 'mattias' or herrings. This year I made cooked eggplant salad, cooked 3 colors bell peppers salad, cooked carrot and olives spicy salad, beet salad and of course the universal tomato/cucumber/ onion salad.
Dessert will be chocolate mousse and almond cake - home made from scratch of course.

Want to share?  Don/Radioman can attest that it is quite tasty :)

Marilyne

bubble - sounds delicious!  I love leg of lamb, but haven't been able to find it this Spring, with bone in.  Has yours been de-boned, as they have been here?

The eggplant and the beet salads sound very good.  If you have the time, please post the recipes. :)

so_P_bubble

Oh no, I NEVER buy de-boned.  That is what gives the best taste to the gravy!

Mary Ann

Bubble, sounds delicious.  Those foods I am not familiar with, I'd give a try.

Mary Ann

Joy

Sounds delicious , Bubble.  I would try any of those, except for the eggplant salad.  I like most veggies, but just can't do eggplant. And, I have tried it different ways.  I do love lamb, also, but rarely have it.  Like lamb chops, but hardly ever see them I the stores.,  And, not very many places serve lamb on their menus.  Been years since I have had any.

My husband grew up in a Jewish neighborhood and was familiar with a lot of the Jewish foods.  I will try something.  Might not eat it again, but I do like to try different foods.   

Enjoy your dinner with your family.

Joy
BIG BOX

JeanneP

If I lived closer to Bubble. wouldn't it be great to be invited to a Passover meal at her home.

Wonder if she will explain to us the meaning of having this on Jeans New Range. it is one I don't know. I know about cooking utensils etc but not the ovens them selves.

I was surprised to learn that my new range has a "Sabbath" setting to be used for Jewish religious days
JeanneP

JeanneP

O.K . Now I understand it.  I forgot about what can and cannot be used on Sabbath days. It makes sense to me that it would be a good way for many people to use those settings on their ovens at any time.

I know very few now who follow the Orthodox way. Most young seem to be going more into the traditional ways. I use to watch the Orthodox families and think that it must be so hard.

When the Sabbath mode feature is activated, the oven may be set either to go on immediately and stay on for a set amount of time, or turn off automatically after a set amount of time. The oven will stay at the temperature the user selects when entering the Sabbath mode. The digital control display will not show time, temperature, or selected oven function until the Sabbath mode feature is manually de-activated at the conclusion of the Sabbath or holiday. While this may seem unusual to many people, it makes it possible for observant Jews to serve warm food on holidays, the underlying principle being that it is permissible to use electricity that is already on but not to turn it on or off during the duration of the holiday. Observant Jews are thus prohibited from turning on or off the oven, or taking an action that causes the oven control display to change during the Sabbath or religious holidays.
JeanneP

Joy

I have never heard of a " Sabbath " setting on a stove,   Jeanne, even after your explanation, it still is a little confusing.

I do know that Jewish people are not supposed to turn on electricity on the Sabbath.  When my husband was a kid, he lived in a Jewish neighborhood and he used to be the one who would turn the lights on and off in the neighborhood synagogues. I guess that setting on the stove has something to do with turning the electricity on and off.   What will they think of next???   Wonder what people did about this before they had this option?   

Joy
BIG BOX

Joy

Here is a link explaining the reasons for the "Sabbath mode setting"   I find this so interesting.  Something the average person would never have thought of.  I did know about not being able to turn on the electricity, but just never would have thought the problem it caused for not being able to cook or prepare the meals for the day.  Always nice to learn something new, isn't it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_mode

Joy
BIG BOX

RAMMEL

I just put in a new freezer and it also has a " Sabbath " mode.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Delphineaz

MaryC, I have made this for years but I add 1 box of pasthio instant pudding to the ambrosia salad.  Another variation is crushed pretzels right before serving.

FlaJean

Jeannep, thanks for explaining the "sabbath" mode, I had not looked into it any further.  that's interesting Rammel about the freezer.  Bubble, your meal sounds delicious.

maryc

Just checking in here.....have just been reading lately and not posting.    Lots of interesting comments and good sounding food! :thumbup:

All of the conversation about Spam reminded me of a great Spam dish we used especially for camping.....again because the meat was so easy to carry along w/o refrigeration.   It was kind of a Fritata, starting with home fries with onions, topped with julienne strips of cheese and  Spam and then with beaten eggs.   It was a meal in a skillet and we all liked it.   No one was unhappy to see it for a supper right at home either. :)    It is funny about Spam.    Some folks just turn up their nose at the mention of it and others like it just fine.....guess that's life.

DelphineZ,  Your additions to Ambrosia salad sound interesting, especially the crushed pretzels.    There was a good one on Facebook this past week.   It was similar but with a few changes.   It was called Cheesecake salad and started off with cream cheese,  then the usual whip topping and bananas and strawberries.   That looked really good!
Mary C

SCFSue

During the Seventies, I was teaching in a private school.  I had 20 really sweet first and second grade students.  Our department consisted of 4 teachers and each class was limited to 20.  I taught Reading and Social Studies and the other teachers taught Math, Science, and in the afternoon, we each had a different class one day a week to teach special subjects.  Parents were very involved in our classrooms and each month, mothers prepared a themed (Indians, other cultures, etc) meal.  One mother prepared a sedar dinner for my class and explained the customs of their family.  It was a marvelous lesson for our children and especially for me.

Sue

FlaJean

We are getting a little tired of chicken so think I will thaw a couple of pork chops.

so_P_bubble

from having chicken so often, my husband used to say: "I think  that soon I'll start growing  feathers"

MaryTX

Bubble, that phrase sounds familiar ;D

Claude didn't care for pork so when beef started getting so expensive, we went to chicken.  I have a recipe book somewhere on "100 Different Ways to Fix Chicken" :)  I remember having a similar recipe book on using hamburger.

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

JeanneP

I think that most people are so tired of Chicken.  Now I could eat good old Southern Fried chicken all the time. I loved Kentucky fry chicken years ago.  Fight the temptation now.
I also bought 3 thick pork chops the other day. Have to doctor pork up also.  I did some Red and Yellow sweet peppers with some tomato slices. Grilled those and put on the chops. It helped. Eating more chinese and Indian dishes now it seems.  Love spice.  Sold on using the Basmati Rice now.  I prefer it.
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

For me too Basmati is the best.  Have you tried cooking it with diced  Red and Yellow sweet peppers? It makes it differently colorful

JeanneP

Yes.  I try to put such things as sweet pepper.Onions. Mushrooms (Not all at one time). In most anything I make. I am not into brown rice though.  Have to make it for the Bird. I swear it can tell the difference if I try slipping the white rice to it.
JeanneP

maryc

After our recent conversation about Goulash (Beef-a-roni style),   I made a good pot of it on Saturday.   We enjoyed it that day and will have another meal one day this week.    I did the same with sauerkraut and polish sausage over the week-end so our refrigerator has a few nice choices for meals with little preparation.   Al's appetite has improved so much in the past couple of weeks that we are using up any leftovers very nicely.  It's a pleasure to cook when he wants to eat!!
Mary C

FlaJean

I made spaghetti last night and had leftovers tonight.  MaryC, I'm glad to hear Al's appetite is better.  That probably makes everything taste better for you also.

maryc

Thank you FlaJean!    Yes meals are so much better when my DH is enjoying the food.....it is more appealing to me as well.

I made a nice big fruited jello today and was reminded of how hard it is to get mini marshmallows to SINK and stay down in jello.  :2funny:      There must be a secret that I've forgotten.
Mary C