Random Image

Baby James

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:36:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Good Evening Everyone... 

I had a funny thing happen tonight. 

I was sitting at my desk and heard a voice
coming from my Life Alert.    No bells or whistles
just a voice that sounded like a phone call. 

Come to find out the phone call was from
Florida...  The person calling and I got
laughing because my "phone call"  came
over my "Life Alert" box.   

I called "Life Alert"  and they immediately
reset  my "Life Alert"  box and checked and
made sure everything was working ok
and we had a nice chat and hopefully
everything is working OK,  and I will not
get any more "phone calls"  over my life
alert system.   

I have been with Life Alert now for many
years ....    Since I signed up with them
there has been many more "Alert Systems"
come  advertised...  Once in a while I
checked them out but always come to the
decision that my "Life Alert" is really
the best choice for me.  And there would be
no advantage for me switching to a system
that might be a bit cheaper. 

I guess for me it comes to I get
what I  pay for,  while all the other
businesses are competing for my business,
I need to remember how very good
my "Life Alert" system really is. 

(I hope that I do not get any more phone
calls over it !!)  :D

It very cold and windy here in Maine
tonight..    But I am prepared. 

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Sandy - That is so funny . . . hearing voices coming out of your Life Alert! ;D You must have thought you had stepped over, into The Dark Side! LOL   I'm glad all is well, and that the problem is now solved. On the other hand, it would be kinda fun to talk to total strangers on your Life Alert! :D

Patricia - I enjoyed looking at all those photos of last nights Blood Moon. As I said earlier this morning, I was impressed when I looked into my super bright back yard at 1:30 AM.  From my vantage point inside, I could not see the moon, but I think it was directly overhead.

Jean - your temps from yesterday sound about like here in Northern CA.  it was 32 this morning, and got up to about 52, by mid afternoon.  It seemed colder to me, because of a brisk North wind blowing.

I think the closest NHL hockey to you, would be the team in Tampa.  They're called the Tampa Bay Lightning, and are very good this year. I'm sure they  will be going to the playoffs.

Mary Ann - We don't get many personal phone calls either. I've been informed by my adult children, that nobody talks on the phone anymore . . . everyone texts instead. I can text too, but I would rather talk in person.  I think the art of carrying on a conversation will soon be a thing of the past.

Larry - I hope you will be feeling better, when you read this message in the morning.  I miss hearing about all of your daily activities.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
Quoting: " I think the art of carrying on a conversation will soon be a thing of the past.."
The same for putting pen to paper, ( handwriting ) even in schools now, it is everything done on computer..As Bob Dylan once wrote - sang,  " The Times They Are a-Changin."

We can even send Birthday - Christmas cards via " Jacquie Lawson " yet Richard still prefers to send hand written cards through the post to his family members...guess he prefers the personal touch as many of us still do... 
" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

I thought you all might like to see the website my niece and her husband put up to document their Singapore wedding trip and traditional Hindi ceremony coming up in April. http://www.tusharwedscarrie.com/

Venus and Jupiter were lovely this morning in the pre-dawn sky. They are at their closest approach to each other.

Anyone interested in astronomy and local "space weather" might like to check out http://www.spaceweather.com/ They have an extensive photo gallery, they track the sun's "weather", near-earth objects, and other goodies. If you fly frequently, you might be interested in the cosmic ray radiation section.

I am happy to report that I don't have to go out in this cold to take George to his Endoscopy appointment. He came down with a cold yesterday and canceled the appointment. Just as well, because I ordered something on Monday to be sent standard shipping, which I expected to arrive later this week. I got notice yesterday that they expect to deliver it today. Now I don't have to worry about the package sitting out on the porch, freezing.

Joy

Good morning on this cold morning, but the sun is shining.

I only have a few minutes, as I have a doctor's appt. this afternoon, and  a couple things to get done before I need to get ready. I have to give myself a lot of time, as I get tired quickly.

MarsGal, I looked at the website for your niece's wedding and it certainly was very, very interesting. They did an excellent job of explaining everything.  Looks like it will be a fantastic time. Will you be able to attend???  I sure hope you will.  My son and DIL visited Singapore last year when they were on an Asian cruise.  I know it is supposed to be a lovely country. I will cross my fingers in hope that you will be able to go. A once in a lifetime trip.

I did not remember anything about the Blood Moon. I would have had to go outside to see it, and it would have been way too cold for me to do that.

Jackie, I, also, prefer to send an actual card rather than E-cards.  Although this past Christmas, I did cut way down on how many I sent.  I know the grandchildren would prefer that I would text them, but I don't do that very well.  I just feel that it only takes a few minutes to pick up the phone and just say Hi!  HOw are you doing?  But, doesn't happen too often with them. 

I hope everyone has a great day. ANd, if you are in the very cold areas, please stay warm and cozy.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy...
...quoting your: " HOw are you doing? "
...Joy, thank you for asking...I just wished someone could take this illness ( PPMS ) away from me, but I know this can never happen...this is how much I " hate " it, and "hate" what it is doing to me, my body...I have to answer truthfully...The worst thing is, it is here every day with me, it controls me, not the other way around...

Joy, if there are any positives...at least I am not drugged up to the eyeballs...of which I am thankful for...as yet, there are no disease modifying drugs for Primary Progressive available...one less problem to have to deal with...

Yes, it is still nice having a card drop through ones door...

Mary Ann

MarsGal, an interesting web site about your niece's wedding.  I, too, hope you will be able to go, but Singapore is a long way from the Philly area and it would cost a lot of money.

I am one who has joined the e-mail group as I now prefer to e-mail people.  My phone is working now and I'll answer any call where I recognize the name or number, but so many calls are "robo" and I just let them go.  I like some of the Jacquie Lawson cards but I do send cards by snail mail - if I remember in time!  I don't know how to text, so that is out.

It is a bit warmer today at 20 degrees.  It felt good to lie in bed, but I got up about 8:30 and I'm up until I take a nap this afternoon - if I take one.  I think I got up once during the night and went right back to sleep.  Sleeping from about midnight to 8:30 is a good night's sleep for me.  The cat joined me at one time, but did not stay long.

Tom got my second computer connected to the Internet so I hope to print some documents pertaining to taxes today.  Onward and upward!

The Blood Moon appeared too late for me to stay up to see it, but the truth is that I forgot about it anyway.  I would love to have seen it and I appreciate the pictures.

Jackie, I don't forget your illness because of what you have posted under your picture.  It doesn't show right now, but I think it will when I post this.  I think you do well to cope with your PPMS and wonder if others would do as well. 

It isn't the same, but my sister-in-law has had arthritic pain since she was a child.  She seldom complains (because it doesn't do any good, anyway) but I know it is with her all of the time.  As with your MS.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking in for today.  I was able to get an appointment with my former cardiologist for Thursday morning.  She has moved to an Aiken  Cardiologist practice and her office is about 26 minutes from where I live.  I have not been able to get my current doctor to respond to my calls or messages.  Scott will take us there.

Mary Ann

Thanks for checking in, Larry, and I am sure rest today will do you good.  It's good that you got an appointment with your cardiologist on Thursday, usually it takes a long time.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Same here, i am not into anything " technology " nor have I ever text via my mobile...in fact although i have a mobile, I hardly ever have to use it...

I do use the Jacquie Lawson cards to those I know have an email address...a downside of course is the cards not having your own handwriting...

********************************************************************************************************************

A lowdown on MS...

" Multiple sclerosis (MS) is a chronic neurological condition that affects the central nervous system (brain and spinal cord). Multiple sclerosis is also an autoimmune disease – in all autoimmune diseases, the body produces antibodies that attack its own tissues.

In people with MS, the body's autoimmune attack is on the outer protective cover of nerves, called the myelin sheath. The myelin sheath is necessary for effective communication between the central nervous system and the rest of the body. When the myelin is damaged, it can cause an altered or complete loss of basic body functions, impacting everything from mobility, bladder function, to vision.."

Joy

I have a few minutes to before I have to go down to the lobby and wait for my Dil to pick me up !

Larry, glad you were able to get an appointment quickly.  Good, healing thoughts are being sent out to you.

Jackie, like MaryAnn,  I, too, think you handle your MS very well.  My husband had a really strong constitution and he used to say it was just something that he had to live with, and he handled it very well.  But,  he was one who wouldn't want to try something different to make things easier for him.  He just had a good disposition and took things as they came.

I do read articles about MS, once in a while, and I know that there isn't many new treatments coming out. It is a very
difficult disease to diagnose and treat.  What works for one person doesn't work for someone else.  I have a friend who has it and most of the time, you would never know it. I think that is the remitting/relapsing kind.

It is a pretty sunny day, but still cold. I am not a coat person, so I will have to wear some layers when I go out.  I only have a lightweight coat. But, I won't be outside for  very long, and the car will be nice and warm.

Have a good afternoon.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Jackie, thanks for the description of MS.  I had a smattering of ignorance/knowledge about it because of your previous posts.

One thing about the Jacquie Lawson cards is the message is from YOU and is in YOUR own words.  Since I don't drive, her cards are much easier to use and there is a good supply.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Neither my other sister nor I will be attending the wedding. We can't afford it this year. I am not much for flying  anymore, either, let along a 16 hour non-stop flight.

Jackie, those Jacquie Lawson cards are a delight, aren't they? I get a Christmas card every year from a Latin class colleague.

Marilyne

MarsGal - I really enjoyed looking at your niece's wedding website.  What a beautiful wedding it will be!  It's too bad that you won't be able to attend, as I can see that it would be a once in a lifetime event for you and your sister.  Is Carrie, your younger sister's daughter? How does it happen to be taking place in Singapore?  Keep us posted on the wedding, as the date approaches.

Larry - good to hear that you are going to get some help today from a different doctor. It's unacceptable that you haven't heard from your regular doctor, but it seems to be happening more and more, everywhere.  It's probably not the doctor's fault, but is because the message never got to him.  Seems that the doctors offices are so busy, that sometimes the messages get lost along the way.

Jackie - I was also interested in reading about MS.  A have a number of friends who have it, and they do seem to be doing reasonably well, in spite of all the health problems that plague them, as a result of the MS.

Mary Ann - At last I'll be getting out of here and going out for dinner tonight, and maybe Sandy will join us.  We're only to Kirk's for hamburgers, but I'm really looking forward to it.  Seems like I've been stuck here at the house, toiling away in the kitchen, for a long time, and I need a break!

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'm having a hamburger for supper too, but Tom has already fried it and all I have to do is heat it in the microwave, put it in a bun and add condiments.  Really not as good as one from Mc D's or Wendy or Burger King, but I don't have to go outside in the 23 degree temperature.  Makes me think - I must remind Tom about the mail before he leaves for the evening.

I've spent considerable time on my older computer, which is compatible with my printer, trying to get tax information.  Two or three companies have sent messages that my 1099D is available.  Not all of them accept my password and/or user name.  I think I have the Credit Union straightened out and I have one other.  Frustrating.  And not all companies are ready with their 1099s. 

I put some catnip in a corner of this room and it is interesting to watch Kendrick come in and sniff to find where the scent is coming from.  He's not always successful.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Western Joan's picture just popped up in my Random Image and it made me wonder if anyone has heard anything about her.  Her last post was in October 2018.  We need her, but I think she also needs us.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Us MS'ers have a saying, whether it be from an MS forum, MS social group or MS therapy centre..." no one gets it until they get it..."

MarsGal

Barb is my youngest sister and the only one to have children, four of them, in fact. Carrie is her eldest daughter.

Well, the sun has set here and the cats are looking for some attention. So, have a good evening everyone.

angelface555

I think we all knew this...

From CNN
"Climate change is hitting Greenland hard -- and it may be too late to do anything about it. The sobering assessment comes from a new study that says a warming Earth is melting Greenland's massive ice sheets much faster than previously thought. The study's lead author says we may have reached the point of no return when it comes to fighting climate change and the "only thing we can do is adapt and mitigate further global warming." Melting ice sheets mean rising sea levels, which is especially bad news since almost half the world's population lives in areas vulnerable to rising seas."

It's been obvious along Alaska's various coasts for years.

angelface555

shirleyn

I had my final treatment today.  That is over.  Sigh!

I also missed the moon eclipse.  Was sleeping, but had I been awake I  would not have gone outside to see it, too cold.

Mary Ann, I also do not get many phone calls.  Usually doctor appt. reminders and occasionally from kids.  Many robo calls that I do not pick up on.  I recently got a smart phone and am learning to use it.  I am able to do texting on it, but will have to learn how to do that. Already have had two incoming out-of-state calls, which I did not answer.  How they got my number I do not know.

Sandy, I saw a quick clip of someone walking down the snowy main street of Portland, Maine on Facebook – thought of you right away.

Jackie, I am so sorry to hear of your MS.  I do not know anyone, personally, who has it, but have heard of it.  So sorry for your state of health.  And so ashamed of my complaints of the lowly cancer thing I have that is being eliminated with drugs and chemicals.  At least these go thru and out of the body eventually.  I wish you well, my friend, and good luck with your fight.

Larry, so glad you will be able to see your cardiologist Thursday, and hope he/she will be able to find the cause and cure for your recent discomfort.  Praying for you.

Joy, I hope you had an enjoyable day with your DIL & did not get too cold.

Marilyne, hope you enjoyed your hamburgers at Kirks last night.  We stopped at Crispers on the way home from the doctors & got a salad to take home.  Did not feel like eating there & that worked for me.

Angelface, they say the coast of Florida will be under water with this climate change.  Glad I am central and on the ridge of Florida.  Of course this will probably not happen in my lifetime.

Oh, my, talk about a book.  Sorry bout the length but had to catch up.  You all have a great night.

shirleyn.
(~_~)

Vanilla-Jackie

Shirleyn...

...I too am saddened that you are dealing with a cancer...In truthfulness we all have our own medical" demons " to deal with, whether some can be cured or not....I wish you all the best in being cured and getting back into a form of good health...I lost both my parents to cancer, I was with them at the very end of which I am very thankful for and blessed, even if this was 42 and 31 years ago...So Shirleyn," do not be ashamed of your complaints.." for our complaints are real....I believe, in this world, " it is survival of the fittest..." :)

With MS, we dont have good days but we can and do have better days...

I think I have been a tad down this last 4 - 6 weeks, I have an inside cheek lining problem and have been pondering the worse case scenario of could it be " Buccal Mucosa Cancer..." or it might be something or nothing...just been putting it off having it checked by my dentist...

MarsGal

When I think of the current climate situation in Greenland, I think of the original settlers and the warmer climate they had back then.

And here I was just wondering about gravitational lensing and just what percentage of the universe as seen from here is duplication (and more) of the light from distant stars, etc. So, in the (distant) future, not only will starship navigation have to deal with enormous distances, but they will have to figure out where the original star is. Otherwise, they will essentially be flying towards a mirage that disappears or shifts on them. Well, maybe with the advances in computing/AI it won't be so hard.

Shirley, I am glad to hear you had your last treatment. Hopefully, you won't have to go through that again.

I knew one person with MS. She was an accounting teacher. This was 30 years ago. She mentioned the expensive drugs. She slept in a heated waterbed which helped to keep her from stiffening up too much. My financial advisor's wife is dealing with end-stage MS now.

Mary Ann

Shirley, I'm glad to hear you have had your last treatment.  I do hope things will improve for you now and you and Danny can do what you want to do.

We had an ice storm last night.  Tom had told me he would not be home for supper so he fixed me a hamburger patty for me to heat up later.  I expected he'd be gone around 8 pm but he was still around.  I called down to see if he'd go after the mail and he said 'no, he would not' and I asked why and he said it was freezing rain outside and he was not going anywhere.  I didn't hear any weather out and didn't watch the weather channel because Wheel, Jeopardy and Finding Your Roots were on and much more interesting and fun.  This morning we are at 34 degrees at 10 am and the road is plowed and the walk shoveled.  It is supposed to get to 40 today, January Thaw?  Imagine!  Incidentally, Tom did not put the patty in the refrigerator, forgot and left it in the pan.  The pan has a black bottom and I didn't even see it there.  I think the retained heat almost burned the patty to a crisp and I made me a bologna sandwich instead!

Patricia and MarsGal, I read the article on Greenland yesterday.  I know the oceans' rise will not happen in my lifetime, but it is frightening to think of, anyway.  I wonder if the planet will be one round ball of water.  Or will we have another Ice Age?  My dad would have read all about what is happening and what might happen. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I just looked at Karl's Cafe at the Soo and it is snowing up there.  To me, it looked as if no cars had been on the road, but the snow probably covered any tracks. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Just checking in for this Wednesday.  I probably won't post in the morning as have the appointment with the cardiologist in the morning.

Mary Ann

Larry, good luck at the cardiologist Thursday and I hope he can give you something to give you more pep and energy. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Larry, glad you felt well enough to check in this morning, and tell us that you'll be seeing the cardiologist tomorrow. I'm hoping that he/she, will have some answers, and will give you something to help y ou feel better and regain your strength.

Shirley - YAY! Your final treatment is over and done with!  Now you will be facing the radiology, which is not nearly so bad as the chemo.  About six months ago, I got my Smart Phone.  It took me a while to learn how to use it, and I still make mistakes. I wanted to be able to text, which I learned right away, but alas, I have no one to text! ha ha!  Actually, I do have my three adult kids, and I have texted each one, so they will have my number, but that's about all.  I have grandchildren, but I doubt that they want to get a text from Grandma! I do like having why phone so I can look at Seniors & Friends, and Facebook, when I'm waiting somewhere for an appointment.  It helps the time pass, and I don't get so uptight and restless.

Jackie, So sorry that you have been feeling down the past few weeks, but can see that it would be depressing to live with MS, and the constant issues that come up as a result. The friends that I had with MS, both were diagnosed when they were in their 20's, but they did live long lives. There is a movie star, (can't remember her name) who has MS, and has had it for many years.  She must be close to my age now, but I never hear anything about her. (I'm not thinking of Annette Funicello.)

Mary Ann,  you gave me my first laugh/smile of the day, when you told about the overcooked hamburger that Tom fixed for you! I can just picture it, sitting there in the skillet, all black and dried out!  Can't say that I blame Tom, for not wanting to go get the mail, if he had to walk through freezing rain.  If your mail is anything like mine, it's not worth going to get it in bad weather.  Nothing but catalogs and junk mail. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, you're right, our mail is mostly junk and it goes into a box which is for recycle materials.  I occasionally get a bill via snail mail but I pay it from the bank and those eliminate trips to the mailbox.  I am expecting one shipment of medicine which cannot be take care of by e-mail as it is part of my company insurance. 

That hamburger was so black it matched the bottom of the pan and I didn't even see it there.  I liked what I did with a patty the other day - I heated it in the microwave first to bake it a bit, then put it in the frying pan and broke it up and browned it.  I had bought a small package of celery and onion, figuring to use it in a salad but that didn't come to pass, so I added half of that to the ground beef and added some ketchup and mustard for a Sloppy Joe.  I put some of it on a whole wheat bun and had myself a meal.  I had enough for three meals and it was good.  I think Tom expected me to eat the burger sooner than I wanted to or he just plain forgot to put it in the refrigerator.  Anyway, it was beyond edible.

Mary Ann