Random Image

birthday cake

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 12:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of July 10

Started by JoanFL, July 10, 2016, 04:23:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie, Phyllis, Joy and Janie-----I'll believe we'll get a SS increase when I see it's been deposited in my bank account.

Mary Ann--Thanks for checking in and letting us know how you're doing.  Hopefully there won't be any more of those awful nosebleeds.

Linedancer--Wonderful that your grandson called and he could take four steps.  I continue to pray for him.  I heard thunder this afternoon, but not one drop of rain.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

New rules came into force April this year for claiming State Pension in UK.....People now need to work a little longer, with paying in extra stamps, therefore becoming older before they can retire, but...those who qualify after this date come straight in on a fixed sum of around £37 ( $43 ) more weekly, yet we on the lower amount stay on it, our pay does not come in line with this new fixed sum pay......but will rise as usual by a tiny annual pittance...still will take some years before it comes in line with those now coming into it from this April...

It used to be women retired at age 60, men at age 65, now some women like for my daughter will have to carry on working till they are 67 or 68....As for myself, I only missed out by one year during this new changeover, my State Pension started at age 61...It all depends on when you were born, as to how many years after, you will be getting yours...There is now a calculator telling everyone when they will start receiving there's....Link....

https://www.independentage.org/information/money/pensions/state-pension?utm_medium=AdWords&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=State%20Pension&gclid=CMudjKOP9s0CFcsW0wodlE0DiA
" There is no present like the time "

angelface555

Good Morning from a sunny Interior!

Phyllis, my mother also planted mint as borders in front, and it grew everywhere, but had such a refreshing scent in the late evening. She had several flower beds going along with the next lot, we owned, garden plotted.

I received news about my Medicare taking a sum out of my SS, but no mention of any increase here.

All is well here, and the cat is snoozing, and I'm looking at my dirty laundering.

phyllis

Seems to be a lot of mixed information about Social Security and Medicare premiums.  Like Joan says I'll just wait and see what goes into my bank account.  If we get an increase I'll be happy to take it but I agree with Joy, they will probably just increase the cost of medicare.  I'm really not a Pollyanna but I will honestly be grateful for whatever they give me.  It would be hard get along on just my husband's survivors pension but I guess we could manage with a little dash of old-time thriftiness and belt-tightening (such as no more French pastries....ouch!) thrown in. :rolleyes:

Mary Ann, it is so good to see you back here.  What a scary time for you but, thank goodness, Tom is with you to help all he can.  Do you think your doctor might want to reduce your blood thinner?  Losing all that blood can't be a good thing for you.

Gloria de, such good news about your Grandson.  He is improving.  Much too slowly for his taste, I'm sure, but when you think that it wasn't too long ago that you weren't sure he would survive it sounds wonderful to me.  Prayers for him still coming.

Angel, you don't seem too eager to do the laundry.   ;D  And I'm in no hurry to make granola even though we are all out.  As Scarlet said, "I'll think about that tomorrow."   ;)
phyllis
Cary,NC

JaneS

Phyllis, THEY don't GIVE us anything.  We worked hard all our lives for Social Security and I resent the fact that THEY say they GIVE it to us.  It's our own money paid in by the sweat of our brows and nobody needs to give it to us.  WE EARNED IT!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

Looks like I am getting mixed up with your social security and our state pensions rises.... :-[

JoanFL

Vanilla-Jackie--Thanks for the link.  I'm not sure how your state pension and our Social Security compare.   I opted to retire at age 62 (instead of 65) and took a reduced SS.

angelface--Towards the end of each year I receive notification of how much Medicare will take out of my SS check.  If there is a raise in SS, they also tell me that at the same time.

Phyllis--Like you it would be hard to get along on just Ray's pension, but with SS and investments I manage.

Jane--You are right.  We earned it.

Mary Ann

Joan, I retired at 62 also with a reduced SS amount.  I also had my company pension.  When I turned 65, I was eligible for Medicare and that amount was taken from my SS.  I don't remember if Medicare kicked in at my birth month or the end of the year but I know my net SS was reduced because of it.

I am doing fairly well now but I can't believe how easily I tire.  I don't feel so weak now and I'm not sleepy/tired but I feel wiped out.  I don't do a lot, but I hope I can do some things soon.

Mary Ann

June Drabek

Mary Ann, I find that every time I have been hospitalized it takes me longer and longer to recover. Now it seems the time has come that I am just standing still in recovery. Must be age.

I went down to check the supper menu, the trout sounded good, but I was just too tired to eat, so came home to have a light supper. I had a hearty lunch, so really don't need much food. I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep.

Bis, I skipped this mornings program...my cleaning lady came back for the deep cleaning and I went to the lobby to read and completely forgot about the program of Choristers. I'm hoping to go down later to watch a documentary.....would rather jus go to bed, but feel I should get out among people.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

Gloria

Well weather guessers were right about it getting into the 90's but the storm did not get here, hit the central part of the state. All the local channels said we would get it. Sun was shining all day. Went down for my mail and was going to go outside this morning. Opened the door and went out on the porch. Turned around and came back inside.

LARRY  the few meals on wheels I saw looked like it was ready for the garbage. As well as not looking good they had an odd smell.  I don't know how anyone can eat them. I don't mind if tomatoes are small, they still taste good.

HAL back in SN there was a man who posted in photos and he had a milkweed patch to attract the Monarchs.

JACKIE  I love that fresh mint. We had some that really took over one side of the yard.

JOY  gosh I will have to plan on what I can do with that huge raise in SS next year. One thing, my rent will go up.

PHYLLIS  I tried growing mint in a flower pot several times but it would never take. The crushed leaves make a good tea for an  upset stomach. If we got that big a raise my rent will really go up.

MARY ANN  glad the packing is out. Now if you didn't have to blow you nose you would be all set.

JANE  .57¢ is an insult. Might as well retire now.

GLORIA de  we had sun all day so it was really hot and very humid. Wonderful your grandson took a few steps today.

PHYLLIS  last time we got a raise my rent only went up $4.00 so could not complain, still had a few dollars more in the bank.

JANE  like you I get angry when the government says they give us anything. We worked and like you many still work. When I hear the word entitlement about our SS it is money we earned that we are getting back.

I am worn out tonight so will close early and if there is noting on TV to interest me I will go to bed early. Have a good night everyone.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

JeanneP

Those of us who are getting old and have collected SS A lot of us since the age of 62 have made out well and we are still getting it. Some of us now collecting on what husbands if married ten years no longer alive we collect that.
Even at 62 I made a chart of what I had paid into it and I worked 40 year. It came out that I paid in less than what I collected in the first 4 years.  People in the future will not do as good as we are doing.
However the US SS would not do what my UK one did.  I never thought to put in for mine that I had paid in The UK because It was very little . Believe we paid a shilling in a pound earned and I earned very little.
When someone asked me if I had let the UK know that I had retired  I decided I would fill in a form I was 70 years old then and could have claimed from the age of 60. They back  paid me for the 10 years prior in one cheque. Few thousand pounds surprised me.
That is not done here. So I don't complain if no COL. every years. I do laugh at my UK one as it is so small due to my pension been small.  All in All it is a great system and hope that the people working now will still be able to draw it.  Now the Medicare. it need a good looking at. They are getting taken advantage of and never seem to know it.
JeanneP

angelface555

This is my birth month and when my SS kicks in. The letter was telling me how much a reduction I would have.

Lindancer

Good late evening,  I do not feel like going to bed, so I am dropping in here to let you know , I just spent 3 hours in the ER. I was there against my will.

This eveing I decieded to turn the water on again to cool things off.  When I went out I hit the metal bird stand, it fell and hit my leg, taking a large portion of my skin off, being I take Plavix, it bled all over the place I finally wraped a towel around my leg.  I started to make some calls, as I needed some first aid stuff from the drug store to bandage my wound. My next door neighbor is in Virg. I finally called Don  a friend down the street. He and his son come over, and thought I should go to the hospital, but they would not take no for and answer, so that is why I ended in the ER.  I now have my leg with a big bandage on it and 4 stitches.

Guess I will go to bed and read.  I wish I was tired, but I am not tired.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JaneS

Good Night Everyfriend.  I wish you all a peaceful rest and a happy tomorrow.  May God bless us, every one!

June Drabek

Gloria de, I am happy this gentleman and son took you to the E.R. The cut you had deserved more than just a bandage, as you found out. I am just thankful you have friends that are willing to step in and help you in emergencies.

I ended up staying at home tonight. Just didn't feel like going out, so read and read and read. My eyes are really tired now.

Nothing special going on tomorrow, till evening, and we will be entertained by a male vocalist. Maybe I'll get some letter writing done.  It is needed, and my conscience is really niggling me to do what I should. I love to hear from my friends, but if I don't reply I can't expect them to keep writing.

I pray you all have a very good night and a happy tomorrow. I wish you hugs, love, and Prayers. June

junee

GloriadSorry to hear of your accident but think you are in the right place.  Maybe now it is stitched you may get home soon.  Hope so.

Vanilla-Jackie

Still on the subject of pensions.....If R goes before me, I shan't get a penny from neither his State Pension nor his Companies private Pension Scheme, because we aren't married......Makes no difference that we are supposedly a couple and been living together for a good 13 -14 plus years, its about time they changed this law, they have talked about it...... that common law wives get something from it........Anyway It was my choice to never marry him, so I know what not to expect......but in hindsight he does have a very good company pension, would be more than enough to pay bills and to live on...but I would still never marry him for the pleasure of it...

JoanFL

Good Saturday morning, Everyfriend.   There's a crockpot breakfast to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a good day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Ladies, have no fear - your revenge comes tomorrow. 

Training Courses Men Wish Were Available for Women:

1. Silence, the Final Frontier: Where No Woman Has Gone Before
2. The Undiscovered Side of Banking: Making Deposits
3. Parties: Going Without New Outfits
4. Man Management: Minor Household Chores Can Wait Till After The Game
5. Bathroom Etiquette I: Men Need Space in the Bathroom Cabinet Too.
6. Bathroom Etiquette II: His Razor is His
7. Communication Skills I: Tears - The Last Resort, not the First.
8. Communication Skills II: Thinking Before Speaking
9. Communication Skills III: Getting What you Want Without Nagging
10. Driving a Car Safely: A Skill You CAN Acquire
11. Telephone Skills: How to Hang Up
12. Introduction to Parking
13. Advanced Parking: Backing Into a Space
14. Water Retention: Fact or Fat
15. Cooking I: Bringing Back Bacon, Eggs and Butter
16. Cooking II: Bran and Tofu are Not for Human Consumption
17. Cooking III: How not to Inflict Your Diets on Other People
18. Compliments: Accepting Them Gracefully
19. PMS: Your Problem . . . Not His
20. Dancing: Why Men Don't Like To
21. Classic Clothing: Wearing Outfits You Already Have
22. Household Dust: A Harmless Natural Occurrence Only Women Notice
23. Integrating Your Laundry: Washing It All Together
24. Oil and Gas: Your Car Needs Both
25. TV Remotes: For Men Only

Food For Thought

Parking Tickets & the Gospel
(By Kerry S. Doyal)

Of all times to get a parking ticket! That night, while trying to help some hurting people? As the saying goes, "no good deed goes unpunished."

At least it can seem that way at times. And such inequities bother us greatly. "That's not fair!" we cry. Justice denied is grievous to us.

But wait: justice applied seems to bother us even more. When it is fair for us to face consequences, we expect (demand?) mercy, even if the judge has to be unjust to give us a break. After all, what I did wasn't that bad or as bad as them. Funny, fickle folks are we.

But enough legalese, back to my tragic tale of ticket "injustices".

Once upon a time - well, about 15 years ago - I was visiting a troubled young family, again. It was a night-time crisis call, again. I was seeking to defuse a volatile situation, offer some encouragement.

After a tiring time of ministry, I wearily walked to my car, ready to get home. I was greeted and rewarded for my efforts by a parking ticket. I had parked on the wrong side of the street.

Lucky me (providentially speaking), I violated a Round Lake Beach, IL law I did not know existed. Though ignorant of it, I was guilty. A law had been broken, a penalty assessed and a price had to be paid. Yet, it didn't seem fair. Refer back to "no good deed..."

It just so happened that the Mayor of that stickler-for-justice town was a good friend. In fact, he went to our church. Better still, the Chief of Police and I had gotten to know each other. Not exactly buddies, we were not strangers.

However, it would have been wrong to go to either of these men asking them to dismiss my ticket. That would be cheating the system. If they extended me this "favor", it would be unjust of them as well.

Arbitrary justice ain't justice, even if it seems to my good. They would be obliged to dismiss any other pitiful plaintiffs that sought a break. I broke a just law, was penalized and a price had to be paid. Stinks to be me, but pony up and shut up already.

One day, as this true tale goes, my sweet wife - the heroine of our fine story - out of her own loving pity and initiative went to City Hall and paid my ticket. I had committed the crime, she did the time - well, dropped the dime.

My standing with the law, Mayor and Chief were set right. How? Because someone paid my price. I had a new legal relationship and I still have the "paid in full" stamped-receipt from the city to prove it.  Sound familiar?

Thought of the Day

"Much of our difficulty as seeking Christians stems from our unwillingness to take God as He is and adjust our lives accordingly. We insist upon trying to modify Him and to bring Him nearer to our own image."

- A.W. Tozer

:smitten:

junee

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone.Have a great day.

Lloyd

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  Gonna be a busy one today!  The girls leave at the "crack of dawn" tomorrow and we have to squeeze in major visiting today.  Of course, the have to get up first! 

Have a good day!

Amy

Good morning everyone.
Had a fun day sewing yesterday and a nice rain in the evening to top off the day. I did manage to get the grass cut before the rain too!

Today will be another day of sewing  after a trip into town so dil can enjoy a new clothing shop and the prices are more than reasonable.

Gloria d, glad you went to get that cut looked at proper.

June, hope you have more energy today to enjoy the goings on.

Gloria, that robin is loud and her singing pierces the ears!! Yesterday I broke read up and put it on th railing ,to have Momma crow and her 4 babies that are as big as she is come and dine while I peeked out the window.

Lloyd, good morning, your very quiet.

Jackie, good morning

Junee,  :hello:

Jane, enjoy your day with the family

Joan, thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Vanilla-Jackie

Good Saturday morning.....Our weather is due to heat up.....

Got woken up around 2-3 am, R was up and about letting our Benji out to do poops, then I was up usual time also to let dogs out around the 5.am mark,.... I then went out into the garden dressed in nightclothes, and cleared up Benjs mess but, instead of staying up as I would normally have done, I chanced my luck on going back to bed...it worked as I then woke up around 8am...

Don't know what if anything is on today's agenda, not too sure my MS is feeling quite up to going out and about...R is now out with the dogs, I have freshened myself up but its now almost noon, and its going to get hotter....

Anyway whatever is on your today agendas, I hope you make the most of it, and look back and tell yourself, " today has been a rather good day..."

JoanFL

Good morning, Junee.

Lloyd--Good morning.

Good morning, Janie.  Enjoy this last day of your family's visit.

Amy--Good morning.  I know you enjoy having your daughter-in-love there to sew and go shopping with.  Hope she finds some good bargains at the clothing store.

Good morning, Vanilla-Jackie.  You had quite an interrupted sleep so hope you feel rested.  I hope you have a good day.

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  According to the forecast we should only get to around 92 degrees this afternoon with a 50% chance of rain.  It looked like we would have rain last night but we didn't get very much. 

It was so hot here yesterday that we decided not to go out to lunch as planned so spent the entire day at home.  Today may be the same but we will just have to see what transpires. 

Update on my broken window--the lady at the lumber company called me yesterday and admitted she had made an error in ordering and had ordered two of the size for the other person and now was reordering my window unit.  I thought that was nice of her to call me as she could just have ordered the new window for me and said nothing.  I asked if the other person could use the window I have that doesn't fit but she told me just to discard it, which I will do next week.

Joy and Joan, the possible increase is a big laugh indeed when we read about how much of an increase we will see in our health insurance premiums.  As Phyllis explained any raise in Social Security won't be known for awhile and if any it will be extremely small. 

deAngel, all walks begin with one step so good news about the four steps your grandson was able to take. 

Phyllis, "nor more French pastries" sounds pretty drastic to me.  :)

Gloria, we are enjoying our small tomatoes.  This morning I counted and there are now 12 tomatoes on the vine in various stages of ripening with several more blossoms higher up. 

Patricia, interesting they told you what a reduction you would have before you even begin to get the Social Security.   

Gloria

Good morning from a sleepy head. Going to be another sticky day here.

GLORIA de  glad you neighbor insisted you go to the ER. Hope your leg is not painful and it heals fast.

JOAN  if I had a good appetite I would learn to make a crockpot breakfast. Chuckles that will never happen. Look forward to tomorrow's. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  crows can sure make bread disappear fast.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Lindancer

Good morning, weather is just a repeat of yesterday.  The weatherman always saying, possible rain, but never see it.

Gloria  looking across the Sound, it looks like you have the same weather.

I am setting here with my leg up, hurts a little.  Look like I have a bigger cut then it is, the leg is bandage from ankle to almost knee. I finally went to sleep about two. They told me if it starts bleeding again to come back to the ER. All I can say now is: God Bless my good neighbors.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

angelface555

Good Morning from another rainy day, all the sunshine has fled before those ominous gray clouds! I knew it was happening when I woke up stiff and sore in my back and in my hips this morning.

Gloria de. I'm sorry you were clipped by the bird feeder and certainly hope you are better soon! It sounds like something I would do, and you never know from one moment to the next, do you?

Larry, I received my social security in 2014. I will be 65 at the end of this month, so my Medicaid paperwork has been prepared and filed for July. I have no idea what will happen to my SS other than the decrease from Medicaid.

Farrah is still skittish this morning. She either sees ghosts or knows something I don't because I never know when these periods will occur.

I hope those that are ailing feel better and those who aren't, stay that way! Everyone have a good day, and I need to get ready for friends and going out to brunch. And yes, Phyllis, that laundry bag is still collecting dust.

JoanFL

Linda and Ed are here from Fairhope for the weekend.  They came to get stuff they had stored in my garage when they moved, to attend a wedding and to buy a new car.  I'll check in when I can, but mostly will be scarce. I am going to try to catch a little nap while they are out.

June Drabek

Good Morning to all,

Bis, I hope you have a good visit with your daughter and her husband. Even though they will be busy packing stuff, I hope there will be sharing time too. How far away from you are they moving ? I hope not too far. I understand the need for less living space now that the children are grown. Do rest also my dear.

Junee,  :hello:  back attcha' girl friend !

Amy, I woke at six, took my thyroid pill and back to bed. woke at seven, rang my bell so they know I am O.K., then back to bed and more dozing. Decided I would like to just spend the day in bed, pulled the sheet over my head, and dozed some more. Finally at nine o'clock, I decided that was enough so got in the shower..shampooed, washed, slathered on the lotion, and dressed. Now I am here. Sure wish I could get rid of this shortness of breath, or at least find out what is causing it. Dr.s say it is from my b.p. medications….but why ??

Larry, even a small tomato that is home grown is extra tasty. I know. The last time I did container grown, they were small but I enjoyed the crop.

Gloria, we are to have a high of 82. I love living nearer the Ocean…still quite a ways inland, but not desert like Hemet was. They are having low 100's already.

Gloria de, did the hospital give you instructions on changing the bandage or will your doctor take care of that. A cut that size needs medical attention, not just home style care, as we heal so slowly when we are older.

Patricia, Farrah may hear certain sounds like she heard from the past life and that may put her on the alert. Was the shelter aware of the life she led before they got her ?