Random Image

welcome

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarsGal

I got my new toy today, a 10" Kindle Fire with Alexa and a front and back camera. Still waiting on my new printer.

Everyone have a lovely Thanksgiving tomorrow.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.I had to come back and post the following as it seems to be a good Thanksgiving eve reminder of what is really important in this life.  I hope you enjoy it:

Whether we wear a $300 or $30 watch - - - they both tell the same time.

Whether we carry a $300 or $30 wallet/handbag - - - the amount of money inside is the same.

Whether we drink a bottle of $300 or $30 or $3 wine - - - the hangover is the same.

Whether the house we live in is 300 or 3,000 or 30,000 sq. ft. - - - the loneliness is the same.

And we realize our true inner happiness does not come from the material things of this world.

Whether we fly first or economy class, if the plane goes down - - - we go down with it.

Whether we fly first or economy class, if the plane reaches its destination - - - everyone arrives at the same time.

Therefore . . . we should realize that when we have mates, buddies and old friends, brothers and sisters, with whom we can chat, laugh, talk, sing, talk about north-south-east-west or heaven and earth -- that is true happiness!

Six Undeniable Facts of Life:
1. Don't educate your children to be rich. Educate them to be happy, so when they grow up they will know the value of things, not the price.
2. Best wise words: "Eat your food as your medicines. Otherwise you have to eat medicines as your food."
3. The one who loves you will never leave you because, even if there are 100 reasons to give up, he or she will find one reason to hold on.
4. There is a big difference between a human being and being human. Only a few folks really understand that.
5. You are loved when you are born. You will be loved when you die. In between, you have to manage!
6. If you just want to walk fast, walk alone; but, if you want to walk far, walk together!

Six Best Doctors in the World:
1. Sunlight
2. Rest
3. Exercise
4. Diet
5. Self Confidence
6. Friends

And, finally:

The nicest place to be is in someone's thoughts,
the safest place to be is in someone's prayers.

=====
MarsGal, it sounds like I am not the only one to get an early Christmas present.  I bet you will like the 10" screen on the Kindle Fire.  What brand printer are you getting?

Sandy

Good Afternoon Everyone,  from the cool
and rainy,  rocky coast of Maine...   

I am looking forward to tomorrow,  as I always love
Thanksgiving.      I will be with Kelly and her family
so it should be a fun day.   This year,  it is a lobster bake
only...    something new,  but that is fine with me. 

I can pick up a turkey breast later if I feel the need.   

I wish everyone a happy holiday no matter what the
circumstances.     

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Good morning from a snowy, humid, plus three Interior. Everyone here has been washed, fed and played with while one is savoring that first cup of strong morning coffee!

Farrah has been more affectionate lately, possibly because of the new toys? She purrs louder and more often, sits behind me on the back of the couch to groom, (paws); and comb,(teeth and claws, softly); my hair. And she will wrap her tail around my arm like a monkey would when I pet her. Perhaps one day, a short stint on my lap or sitting next to me on the couch, instead of each having our own cushion?

However, that preternatural awareness is still apparent. Often she will alert to sounds I don't hear or will hear later. Farrah also checks out the hallway when people are out in the hall or being noisy for any length of time. She is always prepared although surprisingly when that awful fire alarm reverberates, she no longer hides but watches me for clues while I'm am mentally swearing a blue streak... That alarm continues in my ears to reverberate for awhile after it has shut off.

The only thing planned today is helping to sort out, carry about, and deliver Thanksgiving boxes to residents here in the building. But that is not until one in the afternoon.

MarsGal, I'm glad you purchased the toy for Oscar, Lucy, and Shan. You will have, I'm sure, a merry and interesting Christmas this year, enjoy your goodies.

Larry, that is good advice but I would still rather be comfortable than poor even if not rich!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving with good food, good company and good friends, no matter the species!

Mary Ann

I just had an experience I have not had before â€" Tom helped me make the pies, or maybe I helped him.  I think he feels that at my age, I’m not capable of it any more because while I was getting things together for three pies, he came upstairs and took over.  I did give the instructions, however, because I have not forgotten how to make them.

I had two cans of pumpkin so we mixed the two cans and ingredients together.  I found a glass pie plate I did not know I had but I could not find two other glass plates and I have no idea where they are â€" in the storage room, perhaps.  Anyway, the pies are in the oven for the first 15-minute baking and when my timer goes off, I’ll lower the temperature and let the pies finish. 

I also had a can of cherry pie filling so Tom put that together.  We will take one pumpkin and the cherry pie with us tomorrow and leave one pumpkin here for us.  There will be five adults for dinner in Holland.

The first 15 minutes has passed and the temperature has been lowered.

Larry I had the DNA test at least a year ago, probably longer.  I wanted it to verify my heritage because I am very English and Scandinavian, with some Irish and German thrown in.  I also found I was a very small part Finnish.  I knew about everything except the Finnish, but that percentage is so small it doesn’t matter; I just did not know the percentages.  I really did the test for fun.  I now show 316 fourth cousins or better, most of which I cannot connect because of the names. 

With Tom’s former wife, it was a different matter.  She was adopted and had shown no interest in finding out about her birth parents.  But her two kids were interested and wanted to know more.  First Annie tested and immediately a woman in AZ contacted her and said they were related.  That whetted her mother’s interest so she had her DNA tested and has since contacted the woman in AZ.  James had his DNA tested and even though he and Annie are full brother and sister, they probably tested a bit different.  I asked Tom to take the test because he is the only one left in our family who has some of his mother’s DNA as she died in 2003.  The test can be useful if you want to do it, but it isn’t anything that is going to cure the common cold unless you have an uncommon illness and want to see if there is anyone in your family (extended) who also has that illness. 

The pies are done and I put the oven door ajar and turned off the oven.  Tom will come up when convenient and take the pies out of the oven.  They’re too hot right now.

MarsGal, thank Shan for the message!

As for Larry’s post, I am comfortable as I am.  I am neither rich nor poor and I’ll take life as it is. 

I read the link from Hal and that could be something that would benefit me.  I will ask my cardiologist about it.  I know I do not have a normal heartbeat.  What gets me with all of the ads about A-Fib, all of the people in the ads are relatively young and I wish they’d show a person who is near my age, not 20 years younger.

Mary Ann

angelface555

The DNA tests are important not only to learn about your past, or for hereditary diseases but also because of malfunctioning genes that you may pass on to your children. In my family, we have a strong inclination for colon and breast cancer on both maternal and paternal lines.

Thyroid irregularities, strokes and sugar diabetes are common on both sides. Some of the same eye issues I have are seen in photos of ancestors from the Civil War era. What if I wasn't aware of that and hadn't known that it was passed down the maternal line?

If an adopted child needs a blood transfusion or a medical transplant that requires specific requirements that come from family, DNA is needed.

When you are adopted as a friend who is a dwarf is, wouldn't you need to know your family history?

I have been told, and letters, diaries, and copies of ship manifests confirm, that the British transported my maternal ancestors from Ireland to Charleston, South Carolina in 1741. I know relatively nothing about the paternal side of the family other than the past 100 years other than families were large, poor and seemingly always farmers.

I would be interested in seeing if I am more, or less from the Irish, Welsh and Scottish descent.

MarsGal

Angel, I vote for Welsh. My Mom was Welsh.

I am sooo bummed right now. My new Fire died already. I had just connected to my Prime music and started a tune to see how good the audio is and the thing crackled a little bit and then shut down. It will not turn back on. Other than holding the power button for 40 seconds like is says online, I have no clue how to get it going again. I guess I will have to send it back.

Larry, I opted for an inexpensive Brother monochrome laser printer this time. I don't use the printer much anymore so I am hoping the laser cartridge doesn't clog up like the inkjet ink does. I had just put new ink in my HP, which I've had for seven years, when it died. I can still use the scanner to scan to file, though. One of the reasons I chose this particular Brother is that it lists being compatible with Linux as well as Windows. It can be used wireless or via cable.

Beverly

Wishing all of you a very Happy Thanksgiving!

I hope everyone can be with family or friends on this day of thanksgiving!

Marilyne

MarsGal - You can send the Kindle Fire back to Amazon, immediately, and they will send you a new one. They are wonderful about replacing anything that isn't perfect.  Usually no questions asked.

Mary Ann - Sounds like you and Tom had a good time making your pies for your contribution to the Thanksgiving dinner.  I know you'll have fun in Holland, and you'll have a chance to see Eleanor and Johanna! :)

Patricia - I hope you send for your DNA kit.  You'll really enjoy seeing the results, and you may be in for some surprises.  Interesting, that my two daughters have all of the same countries of origin listed, but in a totally different order.  One daughter's highest ethnicity, is Scandinavia.  The other daughter's highest is Great Britain.  I find this fascinating because my husband's highest was Scandinavia, and my highest was Great Britain.  So I guess this means that one daughter has more of his DNA, and the other has more of mine?

wjoan

To you too Beverly.  Have a good one.

MarsGal

Right  Marilyne. I called first and talked with a very nice gentleman from India who tried, unsuccessfully, to reboot my Fire remotely. They have other ways than just wireless to get into your computer. So, the upshot is that the Fire goes back, but I must wait until they tell me to do so. In the meantime, they are send a new one to arrive on Sat.

My new printer arrived late afternoon yesterday. I am not even going to attempt to put it together until Friday. I intend on hooking it up via cable to one computer, probably the Linux, and use it remotely with the Windows 10. That is mostly because I am not well enough versed in Linux programming to feel confident of doing it the other way around.

It is only to get up to around 41 today. I don't want to wear my heavy coat out, so I guess I will layer today and wear a lighter jacket. Looking forward to dinner out with friend and family.

Jeanne Lee

Happy Thanksgiving!

It's amazing how messed up things can get with three weeks of absence.  Spent most of yesterday "fixing" and probably will for the next couple of days as well.  I just thank the Lord that I'm still able to strighten things out.   ;)

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

Mary Ann

Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone.  As I've said, it is my favorite holiday because it's a Family Day.

Jeanne Lee, it is so nice to see you posting and I hope you are able to be around for a long time yet.  I hope what you must fix from three weeks absence isn't too much for you.

Lake Michigan is choppy this morning.  I see people on the north pier but not on the south pier.  There are condos on the north side of the channel that do not appear in the site and people could be from there. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone and Happy Thanksgiving for those of us in the USA. Of course, everyday should be a day of Thanksgiving.  We will be having our Thanksgiving dinner probably in the late afternoon.  Pat decided this morning to bake the turkey rather than fix it in the crock pot. Jennifer is a football fan so I will have someone who enjoys watching the games with me this afternoon.  A few days ago I read the following about Thanksgiving and wanted to share it with you all today.  It contains some beautiful pictures and wise words:   http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=13127 

Sandy, enjoy the lobster today.  Maybe you will be having turkey at Christmas time, which isn't far away. 

Patricia, it sounds like Farrah appreciates her gifts. It sounds like she continues to make progress in trusting you.  Those fire alarms are annoying but so important.  Are they continually checking it or are they false alarms.  Do you have to leave your apartment each time it goes off or do they alert you it is just a test.  Nice of you to deliver Thanksgiving boxes to other residents.  I agree with you that being comfortable is a better place to be than being poor.  I can't say that I have ever felt poor although when we were first married we probably came close to qualifying.  However, I had a good job that has allowed us to have a comfortable retirement for over 20 years. 

Mary Ann, it sounds like Tom was just trying to spare you having to stand for a long period as you would in making the pies.  I try to lessen the time that Pat has to stand and work in the kitchen although I think sometimes she may not really appreciate it and would rather do it herself.  I have to walk a fine line and sometimes fall off that line.  :)  That sounds like an abundance of pie for Thanksgiving with only 5 in attendance.  We will have two pies for just the four of us but it is traditional that we have a pumpkin pie and a pecan pie whether we need two pies or not.  I am pretty sure I have Irish and Scottish and English as well as German in my heritage.  What else I do not know.  I think it is great that the DNA tests can now be performed and people can learn of their backgrounds.  Probably most of the people in the medical commercials are just actors and don't have the conditions at all. 

Patricia, you make some good points about why a DNA test would be beneficial. 

MarsGal, have a new product fail on the first use is certainly bad.  The crackling sounds doesn't sound very good as to being able to get it to start again. Amazon is very good about replacements and refunds as I know from experience. At least you don't have to wait too long for the replacement.  I have a Brother's relatively inexpensive laser printer and it works great.  I do most of my printing on it and have never had a problem.  This is the second one I have had as the first one I had to pass on to the person who took over doing the paperwork for the Senior Games that I did for ten years.  The Senior Games had paid for the printer and it wouldn't have been right for me to keep it.  I bet you will like the laser printer and the printing is much less expensive.  I have fooled around with Linux software a couple of times but then decided I really wouldn't use it rather than Windows.  I hope you have a nice dinner out with friend and family. 

Beverly, are any of your family joining you for Thanksgiving? 

Marilyne, the DNA results your daughter had are interesting.

Joan, hope you have a nice day with your family today. 

Jeanne, sorry to read that things got messed up while you were away from your home.  I hope the fixing isn't too difficult.  Will someone be bringing you a Thanksgiving dinner?

shirleyn

Good morning guys & gals.  I am back (had a nice cruise) and have been very busy.  And of course am way behind in here - I hope nothing devastating happened in here while I was gone!  I hope you all have a very nice day.  And, of course -

A HAPPY, HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Mary Ann

Larry, I have come across the name Hanna in reading some genealogy posts.  I don’t remember if my reading was any particular country or not.  I remember there was a football coach at Michigan State whose name was Hannah so they may go back to a similar ancestor or family.

You’re right, Tom may have been trying to save me from standing because earlier I had had to sit down because my back ached.  Usually, after a couple of minutes I’m good for another few minutes of standing.  It’s awful getting old!

I’m really rather flexible and if things don’t go my way, it usually doesn’t matter.  My way is not the only way.  Tom has his methods and I have mine.  My main complaint is when he or Annie put something of mine away where I cannot reach it.  I do not get on my little step ladder any more so that is an inconvenience to me.  Tom does very well with his cooking â€" when he’s home to cook.  My dad and Norm cooked and Tom’s mother did well in the kitchen too (but she liked everything well done, including steak and asparagus â€" ugh!)

Tom said we would be leaving for Holland about 2 pm which would be during half time of the Detroit-Minnesota football game.  It used to be that the Lions played the Green Bay Packers on Thanksgiving Day and I don’t know when that was changed but there has been a Detroit game on Thanksgiving Day for many years.  It also has been part of our Thanksgiving Day for years. 

I can understand Sandy having lobster for Thanksgiving; she lives in Maine where they have lobsters nearby.  We who live inland are not so fortunate.  I’ve had people nearly drooling when they hear the word “lobster” and I who have not lived near the ocean have gotten along very nicely without it and really have not appreciated it when I have had it.  I’d rather have a good steak!

Mary Ann

maryc

Marsgal,  Have to tried to charge your Fire with a different charger?  A while back mine seemed dead.  At the suggestion of my brother I tried charging it with a different charger.  That was the problem.   It's fine now. :)
Mary C

SCFSue

Sandy, I envy you the close accessibility of the lobsters.  We lived in Brunswick, Maine, twice.  Four years in the early 60's and 2 more in the mid 70's.  Bob was a P-3 pilot and in squadrons there.  He was deployed to Sicily, Spain, and/or Argentia, Newfoundland every year, mostly in the winter, so I spent a lot of time shoveling snow.  That I did NOT like so much!  On the last tour, the 2 older boys were big enough to help with the shoveling.

I miss the lobsters a lot.  Here we can only get lobster tails at the supermarkets--and the price is outrageous!

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone looking in.

Sue

wjoan

Larrry, thanks.  Son is cooking.  Decided not to have the traditional dinner this year, but whatever he cooks is good.  :)  Enjoy your day.

halkel

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

May you and your family have a wonderful day and give thanks to God who made it all possible.

Lindancer

Good afternoon, just finished watching the Macy's parade. Now the dog show is on.

MaryAnn, we use to have a friend who was a lobster fisherman, and every once in a while he would give us a few culs.  Another story, one of Marks college friends spent the night, he got up late as Mark was working.  It was almost lunch time, so I ask him would he like a lobster, he said wait till I g home and tell my mother, I had lobster for breakfast in Southampton.

Shirleyn, glad to see you enjoyed your cruise, also Welcome back.

Larry, punkin pie is my favorite for Thanksgiving. Other wise it is strawberryrube . I also like lemon meringue I guess I just like pie instead of cake.

MarsGal, I still have the first Kindle I bought, as long as I can watch my Golf On it I am happy. I have a Kindle Ebook also.

Jeanne,  I find it takes a longer time to recover, each time I have and hospital stay.

Marilyne, I did my DNA test last summer, I was was surprised Greek came up 2nd. I knew I had Italian, French and English.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Marilyne

Gloria - the parade is still going on, here in California!  It's only 11:15.  I'm looking forward to the Dog Show!  Hope you have a nice day!

shirleyn - Sounds like you had a fun cruise.  I forgot where you were going, but anyplace is fun, when you're on a cruise ship! :thumbup:

Hal and Larry - Hope you both have a relaxing and tasty Thanksgiving Day! 

wjoan - It doesn't have to be a traditional turkey dinner on Thanksgiving.  Great that your son is doing the cooking, whatever it is!

JeanneLee - So good to have you back with us.  I hope someone will bring you a home cooked dinner today?

MarGal - I'd like to go out to a restaurant for Thanksgiving, but so far it hasn't happened.  Maybe next year? :-\

Mary Ann - Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back home from Holland.

MarsGal

Okay gang, update on new toys.

First, I have the printer all ready to go, but haven't printed anything yet. I must have gotten a little mixed up because this printer is only a printer; I wanted a printer/copier. Just looked at too many of the darn things. Also, the box and written info says nothing about Linux where Amazon listed it as Linux compatible. Will have to research that, but it is no big deal.

Now, for the Fire. This morning I around 8am here, I started hearing a beeping. My ear lead me to the Fire which was all repacked except for taping the box. The darn thing just rebooted itself at least 18hrs after it died. Unbelievable!MaryC, I had charged the Fire up before it crashed. It had about a 93% charge in it at the time. After that, not only did it die, but it wouldn't take a charge to top off the battery. Maybe the update download from Amazon an hour or so previous to the crash did something. I have not called Amazon back yet as they have already arranged to send a new one. I am using this one as much as I can to see if it does it again. If it is still good when the new one arrives, I will send that one back unopened. Well, at least that is my plan. I will have to call Amazon to let them know what is going on.

I have a new pix of Oscar and Shan playing with the motion toy. I'll crop and post it in a day or two.

Mary Ann

We're back from Holland and we are two tired people.  Tom has crashed and may get up in the morning to drive; he wasn't sure.  I came in here as we got home about 8 o'clock.  We took a pumpkin pie and a cherry pie and the makings for the green bean casserole.  Annie arrived about a half hour after we did.  While Alicia and Annie got things going for the dinner, James, Tom and I played with the twins.  I know I repeat myself, but they are so cute.  Now that their hair is growing out, we can see that Johanna has some curl in her hair but Eleanor does not.  I have hair with body, so did Norm and Tom and James have curly hair. 

We watched the last half of an exciting football game between the Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings which the Lions lost by four points.  Alicia had fixed a turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes and gravy and Tom put the green bean casserole together.  Afterward we had pumpkin and cherry pies.  I had given Tom directions for the pumpkin pie, reading the ingredients (spices) off the label.  We made two pies and I felt they were rather bland.  On the way home from Holland it dawned on me I gave him the amounts for one pie instead of two.  At least I didn't give him too many amounts.  The pie was very edible.

After pie, Annie brought out some drinks she had purchased and I don't know how to describe them.  I think they were of Russian origin and they were "dirt cheap" and may have had liquor in them, I'm not sure.  We did not get enough to get drunk as Annie only gave us about a 1/2 inch amount in our glasses.  if we had a dozen of them, there were a dozen colors. 

We took our family picture and James took some too.  It wasn't the pose that I planned, but there were four others to make suggestions.  The picture turned out OK but I look shrunken in the center and I certainly look my age.  I hate to have my picture online, but I will send it to Bubble who can put it in here.  I hope in resizing, it doesn't become too small to view.

Both Tom and I felt we had a great day.  And I hope everyone else did too.

Mary Ann

Beverly

We had a quiet day here. This evening we went out to dinner with three friends. Had a lovely dinner topped off with  delicious cheesecake. Our friend, Jim, had to work today so our dinner reservation was at 7:30. Jim works for the Neighborhood Watch here in The Villages.

I talked to several children and grandchildren on the phone. Yesterday our oldest daughter, Donna, called to tell me our great-grandson, Trevor, got his driver's permit. How did he get to be 15 so soon???  :o

It rained all day. At times it was a downpour. We really needed the rain so I'm not complaining.

Jeanne Lee - Sorry to hear you've been in the hospital but glad to hear you are home and on the mend.

Chape is watching the New York Giants football game. Score at the moment is tied, 3-3.

Good night all.

so_P_bubble

Posting for Mary Ann

Cate holding Eleanor, Tom, Mary Ann, Alicia holding Johanna, James.  Tom is Norm's son, James and Cate are Norm's grandchildren, Alicia is James' wife, James and Alicia are the parents of Eleanor and Johanna.  Other than me, Norm's descendants.

[attachimg=1]

Mary Ann

Bubble, thank you for posting the picture and also for lightening the picture.  The pose isn't quite what I had in mind, I wanted us to be more compact, but it turned out well considering James put the camera on top of a chair so he could get all of us in.  The twin girls are so delightful and fun to be around.  The only time they seem to cry is when they are hungry or when they need changing.  Alicia has to arrange a barrier around them when she lets them play on the floor because Ellie has become an escape artist.  The girls are nearly 10 months old now.

I went right to sleep when I went to bed and slept until 7 am.  I did get up a couple of times but went right back to sleep.  I got up for good at 8 am.  As far as I know, Tom is still sleeping.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is another beautiful and clear morning here in South Carolina.  So all of those shoppers looking for all of those bargains around here will have a nice day to be out.  I won't be among them.  I do have to make a quick trip to the grocery store for some bread and hot dog buns but that will be it as far as being out today. 

We had a nice afternoon and early evening with Scott and Jennifer.  Jennifer's first efforts at making pumpkin and pecan pies turned out very well and the turkey and all of the side dishes were good.  There were not many left overs and most of those we sent home with Scott and Jennifer.  Now that Thanksgiving is over I will start playing some of the many Christmas songs I have in my Spotify playlist. 

Marilyn, I bet the hospital patients really enjoyed seeing the dogs yesterday as that was a wonderful gesture from the rescue dog volunteers.  Our turkey was only about 2 lbs bigger than yours for four of us and we still have a little bit left over.  Pat saved the bones to make some good broth.  I hope you and Keith enjoyed the turkey and fixings you prepared. 

Janet, I guess it is just human nature for us to complain a bit.  Yet when we think of how blessed we are our complaints seem small to what the poor people living in refugee camps and temporary housing have to deal with.  I can't even imagine what that type of life must be.  So sorry to hear of your SIL breaking her leg.  You used good sense to stop traveling when you were tired.  Glad that John was able to be with Beth and that you were able to share the meal with both of them at the home. 

Carol, everyone was sleepy here after having the turkey dinner late in the afternoon.  Glad you had such a nice meal and visit with your son, DIL and grandson.  I believe your airport story as a few years ago I went to pick up Pat's sister and construction was underway at the airport and they had removed some of the signs and I ended up at the International Terminal.  Fortunately, I was able to speak with a police lady who told me how to get to the main terminal.  I don't handle this type of thing very well anymore as get very nervous.  At least you get a couple periods of coolness each day.   

Shirley N, welcome back.  Glad you enjoyed your cruise.  Was the food good? 

Mary Ann, I think the Hanna name goes back to a Scottish clan named Hannay, which is still active.  The name Hannah is also a part of the clan.  I understand having to sit and rest for a few minutes as that happens a lot with Pat and also if I push myself too hard I really get tired but find when I sit down for a few minutes I am able to get up and do a little more.  It is good that Tom knows how to cook.  Detroit didn't do well in the football game yesterday.  My granddaughter is a big Dallas fan and was very disappointed in the way they played.   Like you I have never acquired a taste for lobster as they just don't have those in Missouri where I grew up.  What a treat to get to play with the twins.  I hope you got rested up over the night.  Pat always put some extra spices in her pumpkin pie to avoid them tasting bland when made with the recipe on the can.  A nice picture of your family.  That is the first picture of Tom that I have ever seen and sure resembles Norm.   

MaryC, I have also experienced charger problems with my iPad and also my iPhone.  We have also had an android charger or two go bad.  I guess they just have limited lives.  The nice thing about the Android devices is they can all use the same charger whereas Apple has changed their charger. 

Sue, I have shoveled snow many years past as when I was growing up we always had a lot of snow in the winter.  I have lived in the south for over 30 years and that isn't a problem down here.  I don't even own a snow shovel but if we get any it soon melts and I can wait until it does to get out. 

Joan, we changed our traditional Christmas dinner to one of sandwiches with just a couple of sides.  I bet whatever your son fixed was very tasty. 

Hal, I sure hope today find you feeling better. 

deAngel, I didn't realize the dog show would be on yesterday as always enjoy seeing those lovely animals.  We didn't watch the parade.  Pumpkin pie is my son's favorite all the year long.  Now that his daughter has made it I expect they will have it more often than just holiday when Pat always made it for him (also for his birthday). 

Marilyne, I did have a relaxing day yesterday.  I did fix the 5 cup salad an hour or so before we ate and then after dinner I did the cleanup of the kitchen while the others played a few games of Farkle.  I had notice that our Ruby Tuesday was open yesterday but I don't think they served a Thanksgiving meal. 

MarsGal, I didn't realize you could get a laser printer that was also a copier.  I use my color printer for making copies and can set  it just for black and white.  I have to think something is not right about the Kindle you are sending back as an update to it shouldn't take that long and it should have occurred when you first started it as the battery usually is partially charged.  I did have to do a reset to new on my new Chromebook computer yesterday afternoon as the browser kept crashing. It now seems to be working fine.  I look forward to seeing the picture of your cats and the motion toy.

Beverly, nice that you were able to have your Thanksgiving dinner out with friends. I don't know whether our 15 year old great grandson will get a learner's permit in New York this year or wait until he is 16.   

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.How about a little senior humor for today.

1. I changed my car horn to gunshot sounds. People get out of the way much faster now.

2. Gone are the days when girls used to cook like their mothers.  Now they drink like their fathers.

3. You know that ?thingy? little feeling you get when you really like someone? That?s common sense leaving your body.

4. I decided to stop calling the bathroom the?John? and renamed it the ?Jim.? 
I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

5. Old age is coming at a really bad time. When I was a child I thought ?nap time? was a punishment.
Now, as a grownup, it feels like a small vacation.

6. The biggest lie I tell myself is...?I don?t need to write that down, I?ll remember it.?

7. I don?t have gray hair; I have ?wisdom highlights.? I?m just very wise.

8. Teach your daughter how to shoot, because a restraining order is just a piece of paper.

9. If God wanted me to touch my toes, He would have placed them on my knees

10. Why do I have to press one for English when you?re just going to transfer me to someone I can?t understand anyway?

11. Of course I talk to myself; sometimes I need expert advice.

12. At my age ?getting lucky? means walking into a room and actually remembering what I came in there for.

13. I am what is called a ?Seenager?(senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 60 years
later. I don?t have to go to school or work. I get an allowance every month. I have my own pad. I don?t have a  curfew.
I have a driver?s license and my own car. I have an ID that gets me into bars and the whiskey store. The people I hang
around with are not scared of getting pregnant.

14. Life is great. I have more friends who I should send this to, but right now I can?t remember their names.

FlaJean

Mary Ann, enjoyed seeing your family photo.  You certainly don’t look your age.  Sounds like everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving Day with family and friends.