Random Image

My Wini Lesson #42

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindancer

[siLarry, loved those post from the children, I needed somthing to laugh aboutze=4][/size]

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

If I don't do anything unusual, I have no trouble with the new formula and I'm not likely to do anything unusual.  For instance, I haven't attempted pictures yet, just plain typing.  And I'm not likely to post a picture when I have Bubble available; she did the picture of Dot, Tom and me last week.  She has more computer smarts than I do.

When I finish S&F I'm going to see if the Duluth festival is still showing.  Of course, they would not go to all that work for one day only. 

Larry, I tried it and it worked - I'm 2018!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, Paul is heading up to the Soo and will be there in a few minutes.  He/she is headed for Superior so will go through the Soo.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

My daughter-in-law is coming up from New Orleans today to take me to the beach for Thanksgiving.  Her parents are coming from Arkansas and will pick up my oldest grandson, Alex, tomorrow to bring him down to the beach and Jon will bring their youngest, Nic, from LSU probably tomorrow or the next day.

Have a nice Thanksgiving Day/weekend with your families!

Sue

Joy

Good morning.  Just marking my place  now .  I need to get dressed and get on with my day.  I am getting my hair done today and then have exercise class later in the afternoon.  So, will be kind of busy today.  Then, will relax for the rest of the evening.  I have so enjoyed all the Hallmark Christmas movies.  Some are better than others. 

It is a cold morning, but the sun is shining.  Which is good !

Have a great day and I will try to get back later.

Joy                                                                         
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, you sound like me "the sun is shining so it's a nice day".  The sun is shining here too. 

I was up earlier and went back to bed.  I slept so soundly I did not hear Tom leave.  He is teaching today and tomorrow where he spent the 6th, 7th and 8th grades. 

As usual, I am not awake yet, so I'll return later.  I have no special plans for today.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Good Morning!
I wrote a long message yesterday but I don't see it now, and I guess no one else did either, because I didn't get any comments on Joan or Shirleyn?  Anyway, I'll repeat that Joan is out of the rehab hospital, and back home again. This was on Facebook, and I haven't heard from her since?  I hope she's doing okay.  Shirley has an appointment with her doctor today, to discuss the results of all of her tests.  They will decide what her treatment will be. She's having a hard time posting in B&T because of the new format.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is a nice morning here and we should get up to around 68 degrees this afternoon.  I expect to have a quiet day.  A friend has been here for a couple of hours and just now left.  Since I wrote late yesterday afternoon I just wanted to check in this morning and say I am still here and looking forward to the day.

Linedancer, I agree with you that we all can use something to make us laugh everyday.  One reason I enjoy watching the old Golden Girls program is there are always a few laughs from the program.

Mary Ann, it certainly is a mathematical oddity that the formula works regardless of our ages. Does Tom enjoy teaching where he went to school.  Is it still a middle school?   

Sue, it sound like you will be having a great Thanksgiving with family at the beach.  I hope you have a great time.

Joy, if I am lucky I won't have to watch any of the Hallmark Christmas movies and I am not Scrooge.  They are just not my cup of tea and would rather be reading or listening to an audio book. However, my wife is watching my portion of those movies.  Stay nice and warm today.

Marilyne, I did see your posting about Joan being out of the rehab but don't remember seeing the information about ShirleyN appointment today.  . 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I also saw your post about Joan being out of rehab and I did not see the post about Shirleyn's appointment today.  I'm sorry Shirleyn is having trouble getting in here and I am sure her illness doesn't help.

Larry, yes, Tom is enjoying teaching at his old school.  When he went there, it was a fairly new school, in fact, their subdivision was quite new.  They were the first owners of the house they went into and Tom was in the first grade.  He said much has changed and I think I read about Northview remodeling this school and that school.  Northview has an excellent reputation as a school system and many people move here for the schools. 

Next year, Larry, if I do the math after my birthday, things will add up to 2019.  Someone had too much time on their hands to figure that out, but I'm glad they did!

I've had two unidentified phone calls today.  I didn't answer so I don't know if the politics are starting early or if someone is trying to sell me something.  I'll never know!

Mary Ann

The color says "blue" but that isn't what shows.

Lindancer

[siMarilyn, thanks for letting us know about Joan and Sherleyn. Glad Joan is home, but so sorry about Sherleyn.

Larry, I still watch the Golden Gils, I guess Hallmark has a lotof love stories that we women like.  Although Betty White can do humerus, she can do serious stories.  Last year or so she was in one TV movie where she was a Vietnam widow, and they found his body years later and brought it home. Beautiful bad sad story of course.=4][/size]
this not fun, when you cannot see what you are  writing

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

Now been on S and F for a few days or so. Things look to have changed  format. Will check it out later as to what.
I am about like Larry still. Just no energy it seems. The awful weather not helping. Going to be a bad winter I think. Never was my favourite time of year.
My new W10 computer still sitting on dining room table. Still need to get person to install. My cold and cough is not as bad but still not into being on computer much. Sleeping a lot. Think the meds I just stopped taking doing that. Off to Dr. at 1:30 today get a check up.
This windows 7 is still installing things every other day.

All have a nice Thanksgiving. It use to be that the stores started to open up at 6pm on thanksgiving day but now I see that most will be open from 6am until Midnight and then open again for Black Friday at 6am to Midnight.  So there goes another Holiday time.  Next will be a change to Christmas. So sad. Making money seems to be the thing now.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

Jeanne, I'm sorry to know you're ill and especially at Thanksgiving.  Does any of your family live near you so you can join together for T-Day dinner? 

I have gotten used to some of the new format and will experiment as time goes by.  At least I can post and make my posts readable.  I have a Windows 10 computer but I use Firefox and I don't know which controls the changes that get made. 

Have a nice Thanksgiving wherever you are and get well soon!

I just tried the code function to see how it works/if it works!  It didn't for me.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good late morning from the Interior where we are now receiving two inches of ice courtesy of freezing rain over the earlier snow. A bright spot is as daylight arrived, I saw and photographed a double rainbow over the foothills.

If the photo/graphics issues are ever worked out, I'll post it for you as it is the first double rainbow I've ever seen in the winter and over ice and snow. Everyone in all of the sites in S&F is having the same issues. I was told to try re-registering which did not help as my email was the same

I was not here for two days but was getting several hundred daily S&F spams saying I was receiving messages from Michael that directed me to a blank page. I cannot stop the spam but blocking S&F's email address did keep it out of my regular email. Just another of open issues we have

I'm sorry to be so cynical but I like the community but not all the unresolved issues for a change I wonder why we received?.

Marilyne

I still have a few complaints with the new format, but my biggest one is that when I click either, "Unread Posts" or "Updated Topics, it doesn't take me to my last posted message, like the old format did.  Instead, I go to the top (or the bottom?) of the page, and have to scroll through a lot of messages that I've already read. Anyway, it's confusing, and I've missed seeing lots of your new posts. I might be doing something wrong, as I haven't heard anyone else commenting on this problem?

I got a very short message from Joan, on Facebook this morning, which was actually written by Candy. Apparently Joan has something wrong with her hand, and cannot post here.  I haven't heard from Shirley yet today.

Mary Ann - I see that Paul has been moved back tonight, per usual.  Last time I looked, I think the time was 11:30 Duluth, which would be 9:30 for me. That's an okay time for me, so I will watch for him, unless I get involved in a movie or some such.  I do like this angle of the webcam at The Soo, and hope they leave it this way!

MarsGal

I hope you are feeling tip-top soon, JeanneP.

Joan, I hope your hand feels better soon. Thanks to Candy for posting for you.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, don't hold your breath on them leaving this scene up.  I do think it will change back and forth.

My problems with the new format are (1) I can't find how to change the time.  I followed someone's instructions and failed and (2) I don't get to the last post read.  I just go down to the end and work my way up.  Not a big problem now, but it can get boring as time goes on.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, to change your time, go to your User Info at the top left of the page and click on your profile photo. This takes you to your account. In the lefthand account settings under profile settings, you will see a setting for Look and layout and next you will see a setting for Timed Format. On the second selection, Time Zone, use the drop-down arrow to select your timezone, I'm assuming EST Eastern,(USA Canada)? It is essential after picking/ checking your time zone to go to the bottom and make sure you check the box for change profile.

For those tired of re-reading each post to get to the current one, I discovered a workaround. On the same Look and Layout page go to the Board and Topic Display, go down to Show the most recent posts at the top in topic view and click that box. Then go back down, remembering to again click change profile. You will still perhaps have to read some underneath posts, but the current one will be at the top and not at the bottom.

As to coding, I've found that if you click the codes you want, for example, mine is B I A and the second A for size, (I use #4); that you can then type your message between the last code place [ 4 ] and the beginning of the close coding, [/], remembering not to use extra spaces. It is not what I used before but the most straightforward left to us now.

Mary Ann

Thanks, Patricia, I think it worked.  I got lost somewhere, but looked at the titles and found Look and Layout, and the one previous post I made or saw, seemed to be the right time.  It was rather disconcerting to post at noon and find the time as 3 pm in the afternoon.  (Checking the time now, it worked.  Thank you.  I know I'll have more questions, but I'll stick with what I have now until I get used to it).

Tom had a good day at school today and said the kids got a kick out of the fact he had gone to that school some 50+ years ago.  He had a 6th grade class today and will have them tomorrow.  He is enjoying the teaching; I wish he had gone into teaching instead of the ministry.  While he does teach a Bible study and he's active in his church, he does not wish to return to the ministry. 

I received my new Medicare card today.

Mary Ann

Oldiesmann

Quote from: Mary Ann on November 19, 2018, 05:03:48 PMMarilyn, don't hold your breath on them leaving this scene up.  I do think it will change back and forth.

My problems with the new format are (1) I can't find how to change the time.  I followed someone's instructions and failed and (2) I don't get to the last post read.  I just go down to the end and work my way up.  Not a big problem now, but it can get boring as time goes on.

Mary Ann

I'm not entirely sure why the thing that jumps to the latest post in a topic isn't working at the moment, but will look into that when I can.

The time should be correct for you - your profile shows your timezone set at Eastern Standard Time, which is the correct timezone for Grand Rapids.

Mary Ann

Michael Oldiesmann, to begin with Patricia (Angelface) gave me directions to change the time and I followed her directions - and IT WORKED!  In my profile, the time shown for EST is correct, but for my last post the time is about 4 hours ahead.  Don't worry, Michael, everything seems to be OK now. 

Thanks.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. I am back from an early morning trip to Walmart to pick up a few items.  I wanted to get there early so I could get an electric cart to get around the store.  When I went in there were two available.  The first one had power but something wrong and it wouldn't roll.  I got on the other one only to find it was dead.  So I had to walk to the other end of the store but was able to get a working cart there and complete my shopping.  Everything is put away and now I shouldn't have to shop again until next week.  I now have the rest of the day free and to rest up from the trip to the store. Just as I came out of Walmart it started to rain a bit but by the time I got home it had quit.  It is suppose to get into the low 60's this afternoon. We are having some of the chili Pat made the other day for our dinner tonight so that will be easy with little to clean up.

Mary Ann, a community with good schools is always a draw for families with school age children and if we are smart, for us as we are older in terms of resale value.  Good schools is always something I have asked about when buying a home.  I think our county has some very good schools.  Glad Tom is enjoying teaching at his old school and hope he gets many opportunities to do so.  Yesterday I had the same robocall at least 5 times and it is very annoying.  Blocking does no good as they just use a different number.  I have been getting calls from this location for quite a few days. 

Linedancer, Betty White has been a favorite of mine since we first got television when I was a youth.  She is very versatile and is a great actress.  I have read her biography and it is very interesting. 

JeanneP, if I lived close by I would happily setup your new W10 computer.  Sorry you are not feeling up to par.  I too think this may be a very cold winter.  I heard on the news last night that they expect that Cyber Monday (which is the Monday after Thanksgiving) will generate about 7 billion dollars in online sales.  There are still several big stores refusing to open on Thanksgiving Eve so that their employees can enjoy the day with their families.  I don't understand the mentality of people getting in line hours and hours before stores open for these special shopping days.  Neither my wife nor I like crowds. 

Patricia, two inches of ice is terrible.  Will that be staying on the ground throughout the next several months?  You don't need to re-register.  Initially I couldn't find the sign-in box but when I did in the upper left hand corner then had not problem getting in.  Everyone should now be seeing the smileys available for either posting box thanks to Oldiesmann's kind efforts. He also told me how I could turn them on myself using a setting in my profile, which each of us can access.  I also set mine this morning to get "what you see is what you get" while posting. 

Marilyne, I have my bookmarks set to take me to the "Town Talk" board and then is shows Norm's Bait and Tackle and has a little tag at the beginning that says "New".  When I click on it I go to the last posting I have read and don't have to scroll through previously read postings.  I also do this for the Soda Shoppe discussion.  I am confident that if we be patient Oldiesmann will take good care of us and get things all working again.  This has obviously been a big job for him this time with the software change.  So sorry to hear that Joan now has a hand problem that is preventing her from posting.  I hope Candy will join us here and keep us updated on her Mother's situation and that Joan will be able to come back and post soon.

Mary Ann

I did something in my profile that doesn't matter, but is strange right now.  I clicked on having the last post first and that is what I get.  When I go into a folder, the first post shown is the last post made.  So I scroll down from there.  So far there haven't been many posts to scroll.

Tom is at his old school again today.  I don't know what his plans are for the rest of the week but I have an idea school is closed from Thursday on, maybe from Wednesday.  He told me he will be spending T-Day in Holland with his lady friend, Mary, since  our Thanksgiving dinner will be Saturday.

Larry, if you have Caller ID, why do you even pick up the phone for those robo calls?  I can see the numbers and the funny part is they are all "unavailable" so I don't pick up the phone.  A bad side is that Dot's phone company lists her as "unavailable" but I know her number so I have no problem there.  Even if a name is provided, if I don't recognize the name. I don't answer.  No tickee, no washee.

Tom got my Christmas pictures printed and they did a good job.  I have typed something to put on the back side and Tom will run those off later.  This computer and mt printer are not compatible.  If I were to copy what I wrote and put it on my next older computer, I could print them myself, but I'll let him do it.  I am so pleased with the pictures I received from everyone but I will not do this again because it depends on too many people.  One great-niece did not send a picture but Tom found one to use.  It is a good picture of the family, but I have no idea how old it is.  I told everyone that a snapshot would do.  I even included the cat.

Mary Ann 

angelface555

Good morning from a little snow but mainly iced Interior! We have had rain all through last summer, and now it seems to be making a play for all winter too.

We've had more snow in addition to the rain but little accumulation.  We may have a few ice storms in January, February or March, the way the weather has been. As many of you Northerners are aware, there is a big difference between accumulation and what remains.

Larry, I have to disagree about American schooling as U.S. students' academic achievement still lags that of their peers in many other countries. Medically we are even further behind with Scandinavian countries leading in both areas. Forsaking science and being greedy has not been a good idea.

"One of the biggest cross-national tests is the Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA), which every three years measures reading ability, math and science literacy and other key skills among 15-year-olds in dozens of developed and developing countries. The most recent PISA results, from 2015, placed the U.S. an unimpressive 38th out of 71 countries in math and 24th in science. Among the 35 members of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, which sponsors the PISA initiative, the U.S. ranked 30th in math and 19th in science."

In my profile, I changed the settings to show the newest posts on top. It was easier for me than starting at the beginning each time.

Sandy

Good Morning from the snowy and cold,
rocky coast of Maine. 

Getting used to new updated software
always takes time,  and hopefully not
too much time for most of us.   

"Practice makes perfect"  (as we were always told)...  so we should be fine,  in time.

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JeanneP

MaryAnn
No, all family separated by hundreds of miles now. Very seldom get together. Managed it 3 weeks ago.
Had a checkup yesterday and all seemed to be o.k feeling much better now
I am a little lost in this new set up. Will not bother until change over to new computer. Will hold off now untit after TG.
Larry. Up to now I always had a friend set up my computers and all electronics. He past away  year ago. Had MS.for 15 years but still did it up to 3 months of passing
Really miss his friendship over all the years. Same now on my yard man of 25 years. Leaves are still on. Looking a mess.
Gone now my dentist . Doctors. Handymen All gotten over 25 years. Things really have changed. Time went fast.
JeanneP

Marilyne

I finished the last of my Thanksgiving shopping this morning.  I went to the story early at 9:00 am, and it was already packed with people, with long lines at the check-out counters. While I was there, AJ was standing in line at the Honey Baked Ham store.  He got a small HB turkey and HB Ham. They really look delicious, and more than enough for only five or six people. Last year I got the entire TG dinner from Whole Foods, but decided to do it differently this year.

Older daughter Shelley, and g-daughter Claire will arrive tomorrow, and will only stay until Friday.  Besides the two of them, there will only be Sandy, AJ and me. Sandy may bring a friend, and I hope she does. 

I was all ready to watch Paul, scheduled to leave today at 1:30, (11:30 my time), but per usual, he was moved back another hour to 2:30.  I noticed that there wasn't a single person waiting at the canal.  Can't say that I blame them, as It looks extremely cold and gray and windy there today.

JeanneP - I'm glad you're feeling better, and getting over your bad cold. Sorry that your family is so far away from you, that you won't be seeing them for Thanksgiving.  I hope you have some family plans for Christmas.

Patricia - It's a sad fact, that students in the US, lag far behind other countries, when it comes to academics.  Those PISA results are pretty bad! What should we be doing to bring our scores up to a decent level? They say our public school classes have been "dumbed down" deliberately in the past 20 years?  I don't know if that's true or not?

Mary Ann

To backtrack a bit, Larry said he thought there were good school in his county, not the country.  I feel the same way about my county.  I know there are some that are not so good.  Even good or bad in the country.

Kendrick just woke up from a long nap - since early this morning.  I'm trying to pay more attention to him - just because he's a good boy.  When I'm in bed, he lies alongside my leg and I hardly dare move. 

Tom just got home and said he had another good day.  It's been a long time since I heard him so cheerful about his day.  I wonder if a session at summer school would allow him to get a teaching certificate.  If so, he could give up his unpleasant jobs and live a more normal life.  I'd have to make adjustments too because he would not be as available to get me to any appointments.  We'll cross that bridge when we get there.  Or is that "count our chickens before we cross the bridge".

I haven't been out today and the sun has shone, but at 4:20 pm it is only 31 degrees.

Marilyn, I missed Paul this afternoon.  I did see two ships go through the Soo but I did not check Duluth.  On one of their sites, they give the temperature; I am sure it is cold.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

A few minutes ago, Paul had been moved to 5:04 central time and the map shows he's still there.  It's 3:50 here.
Nowmap shows he's "on the move".  Take your chances!😉
4:04  paul has just begun crossing the harbor from the docks,
End of report 😊

Mary Ann

Thanks to you, Callie, I was able to watch Paul leave.  I looked at the map to see where the ship was, then clicked on Bayfront cam and there was the ship.  Not only that, the Bentley Festival was in view and it looked like a perfect Christmas scene.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

I was very patient this afternoon, waiting three times for Paul, only to have his schedule move back an hour each time.  I was still planning to hang in there, but got involved in getting the house fixed up for TG, and I forgot all about it.  Of course that was the only time he was not delayed. ::)

Mary Ann - That must be fun for Tom, to teach at his old school. I would love to go back to the elementary school that I attended for nine years ... kindergarten through 8th grade. I know it's still there, but I'm sure it's been remodeled a few times since then, so it probably wouldn't look at all as I remember it. I'll never have the opportunity to see for myself, as it's in Southern California, which is no longer an area that we would be likely to visit. (No more relatives or friends down there.)