Random Image

High School Senior Photo

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:06:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

In your S&F account, it is under Looks and Layout and is at the lower middle of the page under the heading "Post." You need to uncheck the notifications box. This should stop any S&F notifications.

shirleyn

Angelface, where is the S&F account?  I know I have been there before but in my muddled mind I cannot remember.

Found it and the notification was already turned off.  In the meantime I have received another 200 emails.  Sigh!
e

angelface555

I'm going to copy both of your posts and send them to Michael and Bubble. I know before, if you have that box unchecked you shouldn't be receiving anything!

shirleyn

Thanks.  Another 98 messages in the last two hours.  Geesh!

Marilyne

Good Morning:  Looks like I'm the first one here this morning?  I hope we hear from Larry, and that he's feeling stronger today? 

Mary Ann - you are most likely at church with Dot, or enjoying your lunch at the Cholesterol Pit?  I hope Tom is over his stomach upset, and back to normal.

Shirleyn - Looks like you and a few others are getting swamped with emails, as a result of the latest upgrade?  Too bad the site had to change again, but nothing we can do but try to adjust.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking to for today. I don't think I feel up to going to my office this morning so will spend it in my easy chair and resting in bed this afternoon for awhile and then back to my easy chair.  I got the replacement Chromebook yesterday but have decided I am just not up to getting it set up and learning the Chromebook operating system.  So I will repay the cost of the return to Amazon and just chalk it up to not being one of my better decisions.

Please don't feel that you need to mention me each day since I am not contributing anything to the discussion.  I will try to post something each day so you won't worry about me.  I plan on being around for quite awhile but seem to be getting a bit weaker each day so looking forward to a turn around.

Vanilla-Jackie

Five to Ten years ago this site was at its best, so many posters, so much life, laughter and fun...

Larry Hanna...
...so glad to see a posting from you...I shan't say anymore to you we shall just take it one day at a time...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

I'm glad to see several posts here this morning, including you, Larry.

Marilyn, Dot and I did make it to church OK but when we came out, it had started to snow and Dot decided she'd rather not drive to the Cholesterol Pit, which is a couple miles beyond where we live, so we are not having our breakfast/brunch there this morning.  I had thought Tom had not left for his church because there were no car tracks out of the garage and I'm still not sure whether he's there or here; he could be sleeping yet.  I'm encouraging him to rest and/or take it easy if possible. 

It's a nice snowfall we are having but is staying on the ground.  At 7:30 am our temp was 18 degrees, when we left for church at 9:30, it was 22 degrees and now, at 11:50, it is 24 degrees.  Not exactly a heat wave!

I really don't have anything on an agenda, however, I got something in the mail for my tax that I've been waiting for so I'll add that and then I can go forward.

Jackie, ten years ago, this folder might have been in Yahoo, not here, and Norm was in charge.  You're right, it was a much larger group, but several people, including Norm, have passed on. 

It is snowing at Grand Haven, you can hardly see, and three people are walking on the ice near shore.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

I am sure S & Fs has been going for nine or ten years, I joined a year later..cant remember whether Norms Bait and Tackle was here at that time...I guess I waited a year or two before I plucked up the courage to join Soda Shoppe as my very first stop off...we had so many members - posters... It wasn't long before I was asked to join the card making group, I jumped at the chance, that kept me busy...
This was with our original site, before our site collapsed and Pat started it up again from fresh...

Oh yes, i remember our Norm...

Mary Ann

Jackie, I wish I had kept track of dates.  At one time there were the Aardvarks and Norm's Bait & Tackle was part of that.  I don't remember if they were part of SN but when SN went down, Norm connected with Yahoo and Norm's Bait & Tackle was there for a while.  ShirleyN, Beverly and Adrienne, among others, was part of that but sometimes they had trouble getting into that folder.  I was at Norm and Dot's condo when Pat and Paul visited.  It may have been then that Norm asked Pat if there was any chance of the B&T getting into S&F and Pat set it up - but I don't remember when.  I looked at my profile and it says I have been here since 2016; that must have been a time after we changed providers because I know I have been in S&F since the beginning.  And you may be right, it could be ten years.  Time flies when we're having fun!

I'm watching golf and typing so I hope things sound right.

Mary Ann

angelface555

As I remember in SeniorNet, Norm was part of a larger, perhaps state forum? Then when SeniorNet jettisoned its nonpaying members and discussions, that Sandy reached out. And I joined with her small group until Norm started up his Bait & Tackle. Later he switched to Pat's Seniors and Friends.

I was a member of the cardmakers as well, but that changed when people stopped coming to see the cards. It's hard to create in a vacuum.

I remember the controversy over just how Norm's Bait and Tackle was formed and called. However, that was straightened out, and everyone was glad to have an inclusive place again!

Everything changes and people and ideas grow older. But sometimes we wish it hadn't!

angelface555

For those of us beset by runaway notifications as we were after the last site change. In your forum profile go to Look and Layout and then to Post at the lower middle of the page. I have circled the one to uncheck. If you are still having issues, I posted a message for Michael in FYI: Upcoming site upgrade yesterday but haven't received anything back.

Image1.jpg

CallieOK

I really liked the state forums and was "chairman" of the Oklahoma group.  There were several Okies who participated but, unless there are those who choose not to identify themselves, I think I'm the only one left.

"Back in the day", more participants were traveling and the Okie bunch enjoyed meeting ones traveling through the state on I-35 or I- 40.  Our motto was "let us know you're coming; we'll meet you for lunch on the interstate".  :)
Aging also took its toll on the long weekend get-togethers planned by participants in different cities (called "Bashes") every year or so that gave us an opportunity to get acquainted with each other - nationally and internationally. Three of the Okies in the OKC area travelled together to some of these.

Now it seems most of the posts are about aging limitations and health issues of individuals and family.  Hard to keep a conversation going about general interests.

Onward and Upward......

Marilyne

I was one of the earliest members of the original Senior Net.  I found it  on the net, about 1996 or 97, when it was first getting organized.  There were already lots of members, and lots of different folders that were divided into specific discussions.  I gravitated to the Books/Library folder, and to the Arts and Entertainment folder, that both had a large number of different discussions.  I became friends with Joan Grimes, (Head of A&E)  and she asked me to be DL/Discussion leader in some of her A&E discussions, which I did. 

At that time, there was a person called a DL, in every discussion.  Looking back, I think it was a good idea. The DL responded to posts, and tried to keep the discussion alive and moving.  There were Health Folders, State Folders, (as Callie mentioned), Politics, Military (Those who had served in any branch), Pets, and the individually run discussions like Biz's Busy Nest, which was run by JoanFL (Biz) for many years.

I'm pretty sure that the Michigan discussion, is what eventually became Norm's Bait & Tackle, when Seniors and Friends was started??  Katie Sturtz was a friend of mine, who posted in the Arts and Entertainment folder. She invited me to join the Michigan discussion, and said there were many people who posted there who weren't from Michigan.  I never did post there. I was so busy with A&E at that time, and also posted a lot in Books, and others too.  Anyway, I could go on and on.  A lot of people from the past come to mind when you start writing about it.   

Mary Ann

I got started when you had to pay to post.  I wasn't a member but Norm told me how to get to (I think) the Aardvarks and if I took over a minute to get there, he would be charged a certain amount of money.  I really got started when he had the Michigan folder but I put my 2c worth in other folders, too.  Missouri with Bunny, for instance.  Also I butted in the West Virginia folder and I think there were only Jackwv and SCFSue there.  Since I was born in WVa but had not lived there since 1 1/2 years, I joined them.  I think I joined in other folders too.  Norm's Boat & Tackle was part of the Michigan folder (where are Bev and Shirleyn when I need them?) and Norm issued passports to join and everyone did get a passport.  As I wrote before, when SN was dropped Norm contacted Yahoo and was able to get Norm's Bait & Tackle there.  For some reason or other, people found it hard to get into the folder but it didn't die.  Norm then asked Pat if Norm's Bait & Tackle could be part of S&F and Pat let him join.  Of course, there are a lot less folders than what we had in SN, but most of them have kept going.  I don't remember any of the dates or numbers of years, but I believe it was around 1996 when I got started.  The Aardvarks started in Prodigy and while I was not on Prodigy, that may have been where I made contact. 

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Marilyne,  thanks for mentioning Discussion Leaders. I didn't think "chairman" sounded right !  :)
I remember I put together a "virtual tour" of Oklahoma using various links because many participants didn't have a clue what the state actually looks like.

A personal friend here got me started.  She had taken some computer classes at a local SeniorNet place.  (This was when SeniorNet was connected with some college in California.)  I think the web site we all took part in disappeared when the program was dropped by the college.

angelface555

I was a latecomer, beginning with my first personal computer in 2000. I soon found ThirdAge which was a smaller type version of SeniorNet and ended up suddenly dropping all their free discussions shortly after SeniorNet.

I found SeniorNet after Ginny and some others in TA's Cat portion of the Pets forum and books told me about SeniorNet which was later that same year. For a time I was in both sites but eventually dropped TA for SeniorNet. Den, (Joan Grimes's brother); Glen, and others brought me into the PSP forum where I was captivated!

I joined a few forums and lurked in several others. We took several magical trips with the bus and visited with members along the way. I was unable to go to any bashes, but Adrienne was kind enough to send me tapes, and I did get to meet Johann and Wendill and of course, Karren lived here before moving to New Jersy.

I soon met Jerry2, Dave and Oscar in computers, Johann, Gladys, pRoe, Carolyn, Papa John, Norm, Adrienne, Bunny, Rae and Peaches, Bubble and later Karren; along the way and of course many refugees from TA as well, plus so many I can't presently recall. It's hard to believe that it's only been 18 years and a couple of months!

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...I do know I joined our forum at the age of 59, I am soon to be 68...I am understanding our forum had already been up and running for one year...They say time does fly, especially when one is enjoying themselves, well it sure does..I have enjoyed reading all your stories of the days of leading up to joining our forum and the forum before...

Now that is a name I remember, Peaches, she always came across as such a lovely sweet delicate person...

As for meeting up with any members, the only member I have had the chance to meet in person is Jenny ( Denver ) when she visited UK, and stayed in London..

Mary Ann

I just finished looking at a series on MSN News, which is the news I get on Windows 10.  It listed the Presidents in order from #44 to #1 - worst to best (Cleveland served two separate terms, therefore only 44 Presidents).  Lincoln was #1 and Washington was #2.  There was no URL so I could not post it here.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Here you go, MaryAnn;

Experts rank the Best US Presidents

https://tinyurl.com/y6qb8sf3

Vanilla-Jackie

Well Richard has trundled off in his car to his early morning Echo-cardiogram hospital appointment, then in the  afternoon he will take me to our local GP for a checkup on my Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia medication follow up...I think it has made a difference, not completely vanished but been  a d***m sight better than I had been for the last couple of months...Should also give me the chance of telling her about my recent MS fall, even though they come part and parcel of our MS...I am not expecting anything to come of it unless she can order me a brand new body....

Mary Ann

Patricia, I think you got it, however, when I clicked on the link, I have to pay to get a Premium program.  I'll go back there again later to see if I missed something.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Mary Ann, I thought the same thing, but if you go back in and double check like I did, just click on the arrow button at the right side of the picture to click through the ranking. The premium thing is something else, or more details, I guess.

Morning everyone!

Weather is not real nice, freezing rain and temp around 36oF. I am feeling a little "grey and drizzly" myself this morning. I expect that to clear up once I get moving around more.

I haven't seen much of the "cat collective" lately, but I did discover a second black, so that makes six unless it was a temporary visitor.

I've been watching an interesting 20 episode, a little less than an half-hour apiece, program on Amazon Prime called Great Greek Myths. It is a French production, very nicely done with plenty of artworks included. I immediately identifies several Klimt paintings. One I saw today looked for all the world like an El Greco, but I don't recall him painting any Greek mythology, even though he was Greek.

Mary Ann

Thanks, MarsGal, I was able to bring it up.  I did not go through it a second time, with 44 Presidents listed, it took a bit of time, but I found it interesting anyway.

I was up earlier this morning and the temperature was 12 degrees and now at 9:10  it is 18 degrees.  As in my mind, weather goes from west to east, you easterners can see what is in store.  Our radar shows snow, but the sun is shining and I don't see any snow.

I'll be back later when/if I've done anything worth mentioning.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Jackie - I'm glad the medication has helped your Atypital TN.  I hope that Richard's Echo-cardiogram turns out okay.  I had that test a couple of years ago . . . not painful, but very uncomfortable.

Mary Ann - I looked at the Presidents list also. When I see one of those "best of" lists, about anything, I always wonder who decides what is worst and what is best?  Very subjective - or just a matter of someone's opinion I guess?

MarsGal - I feel so sorry for the feral cats in your neighborhood colony.  This Winter has been so brutal, that I don't see how they will survive.  Also, as soon as Spring arrives, the females will be in heat, and the colony will grow!   

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking in today.

FlaJean

I was on AOL in 1996 and found Senior Net but only participated in the Mystery Books forum for a long time time.  JoanK was Discussion Leader and we had a lively group of mystery readers.  SeniorLearn still has this folder but I think I was the last person who posted there a couple of months ago.  Later I did branch out a bit and remember Happy Dan in the Health folder, and many of the other people you have mentioned.  I believe Sue had a folder for some of us who walked every day and we kept track and reported in our progress.

After Senior Net dropped us, Sandy sent me a notice about SeniorandFriends and I joined it.  Later I got lost again after they had a problem and Sato contacted me to let me know it was up again.  Through the help of Jack and Sato I got interested in the Photo folders and began doing some videos.  We had a really nice group but time is catching up with us.

I still miss Bunny and Jeanne Lee who were so helpful.  Karren was a FaceBook friend and Such a talented and sweet person.  She helped me with graphics which were new to me.

Mary Ann, I remember you first from the Photo folder.  You were always so appreciative of everyone's work.

We are having a dreary overcast day in the 50s.

Mary Ann

Hi right back at you Larry.  We're having a sunny day and my thermometer says 24 degrees, but I know the sensor is in the sun - so what do I know?

Jean, I still appreciate the photos and when I started, I would feel my way around, lurking.  I'm much more bold now.  I was on AOL at the beginning and I wonder if the Aardvarks were on AOL by that time.  I really wanted a computer for genealogy and my, do I have the information now!  For many related families.

Marilyn, I sometimes wonder about these "best" sites, but I wrote down (would not copy) the information about the presidents:

It is the "annual Presidential Greatness ranking by 170 current and recent members of the Presidents & Executive Politics Section of the American Political Science Assn (APSA)". The survey was conducted by two professors - one from Houston, one from Boise.  My opinion doesn't hold water to theirs.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Local GP is putting me on another three-four week tablet course, same tablets I am on these last few weeks, Carbamazepine...Only this time as I am down to two per day, we are doing it in reverse, two continuing weeks at two per day then one per day for another week or two but she did tell me it could well come back again, just what I want to hear...NOT...

Marilyne...
...Richard got there early and was seen earlier than his appointment time...He is to go see the Cardiology Consultant in ten days to hear the results, he doesn't seem too worried..

angelface555

Good midmorning from a still snowy, cloudy Interior! Not a thing is going on here newsworthy altho Michael was being thanked for fixing the notification issue. I'd like to ask if anyone is still having that or other issues to please post here, https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=150122