Random Image

Cool dude

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:28:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of May 8

Started by JoanFL, May 08, 2016, 04:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelly

Hi Joy
No thanks needed as I know your thanks are everyone

Kelly

Kelly

Hi Sandy
Yes the sunshine does make a difference to our well being.

It brightens the spirits, even if we are under the weather health wise it also makes us feel better.

Kelly

Radioman34

Hal the predictions were correct; the area of the fire actually doubled. If you can  believe this, the left wing hippie groups have gone online stating that the fire is karma; it's in the area where most of Canada's oil production is done and these idiots claim that the pollution of the world is caused by oil, therefore the people getting burned out deserve it.

JoanFL

Radioman--IMO the left wing hippie groups are "out to lunch".

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

Joy

I hope everyone is enjoying a special sunny Sunday.  It is finally sunny here in Central Maryland  after many, many rainy days.

Callie, thanks for the birthday wishes and happy that you have had several days of celebration.  In addition to yesterday, I will go out with all my family for a Mother's Day dinner.

Joan, a special Happy Mother's Day to you and thank you for all you do to keep this place a happy place.

Life is good !!!!

Joy
BIG BOX

Sandy

I am so sorry to learn
about the fires in Alberta...   

As usual,  freaks come out and say anything
during tragedies..   We are not hearing that
scenario Radioman...   here we are
hearing that  the fires are weather related
and started by humans (sadly)... so that
without rain, they just keep going and going.

This is a tragedy that we are all hoping
comes to and end real soon.       

What a difficult time for the humans and
animals that reside there.     Tragic.

Best wishes to all Canadians who's lives
are in peril.

Click Here Alberta Fires

And try to ignore the ignorant soothsayers..
Sandy
:'(

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

JaneS

NOBODY DESERVES to be burned out of their homes!

Brunch was nice!  Craig is a gracious and loving host.  We did a lot of reminiscing when the four of us were together and then Craig went out to finish "manicuring" his yard and Kyle went back to bed and Cathy and I chatted for about a half hour.  Now I'm home to attend to some of the things on my list but I think I'll take a nap first...maybe!

I'm beginning to think I MIGHT be ready in time to leave on Thursday. 

All my kids have been in touch today including the young man who came here as a Fresh Air Kid from NYC.  We have stayed in touch all these years and he still calls me Mom.  When he was here and he called me "Mom" and strangers heard it, I saw some eyes widen.  He's about as black as he could be and I'm about as white as anyone gets.  I absolutely loved it and I NEVER explained. He's such a nice young man and that happened against a lot of hard times.  He grew up in "The Projects" in Brooklyn and his mother was a wonderful woman.  He reflects that.  She raised 6 children and she and her husband really worked at it.  They are both gone now but he still claims me and I love him unreservedly. 

I better "shake a leg" and get something done even if it's only a nap.  Enjoy your day, all you Mothers!  And all you who love mothers!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

angelface555

These days, especially with the anonymity of the Internet,  both right wing and left wing haters come out blaring. No one wants a solution from the far left or from the far right. They just want to out-shout the other.

It ends up that people become upset from the propaganda coming from both sides and tend to do nothing, and that is a shame.

Where are the responses from other places, other countries to assist? Why isn't that in the news?

Lindancer

I have to come in here, and tell you the SUN came out for all of 5min. now it is cloudy again, and looks like rain.

Joy, I am so sorry. I forgot to tell you belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY, you know that old say ing:  "The Older I get, the behinder, I get" I guess that is me.

Jane, how wonderful you still hear from that young fellow. In Southampton, they had the Fresh Air Home, and would bring groups of children out from the city, every week. I know how it feels to be called Mom, by other, one of Marks friends who is a lawyer in WDC. calls and checks on me every Mother Day, since Mark died.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

June Drabek

Back from Church, will go down for dinner at noon. It turned windy, cloudy and cold outside. brrrrrrr.

Hal, I'm glad you popped in. Keep strong !

Linedancer…..Now I know why you choose that name. I'm so proud of you for teaching the line dancing. I learned it at my other place in Hemet, but there is nothing like that here and I miss it. Cab driver was one of my favorites too. The first one I learned was Alley Cat. I forget too quickly the steps when I don't do them anymore. I have been invited to eat with our Pastor, his wife Carol, and a friend of hers from Hemet that she invited for dinner. So I will be scooting back downstairs again..just got back from Church.
As long as we are here, let's dance.

JoanFL

Joy--Thanks for the Mother's Day wishes and your appreciation of what I do here.

Sandy--Thanks for the link.

Janie--Glad you time with family was so enjoyable.  I just know you'll be ready to leave on Thursday.  I remember some folks in my hometown having "Fresh Air Kids".

angelface--I don't hear about any offers from other countries to assist.

Linedancer--It's too bad the sun stayed out such a short time.

June--I'll send you some warmth--we have plenty.  Enjoy your dinner with your pastor, his wife, etc.

angelface555

I know that we send fire crews, "Hot Shots" to Canada and to the states on occasion and I know we have gotten them here as well as crews from the states, Canada, and even Siberia. This should be in the news in my opinion!

A few years back when some of the Northern villages suffered from severe flooding, they received aid from Venezuela.

Amy

The day is drawing to a close here..had a great day. Laundry dried in no time with the wind , baked some oatmeal cookies, you will find some in the hidey hole to go with a tall glass of cold milk. Looked after the neighbours dog and cat while they are away for the day. Just came back from feeding the two of them, funny to watch the antics he (dog) goes through if the cat hasn't finished her food and you know who will!!! Put my vehicle in the garage  as the ice pellets fell. Sure hope Spring wakes up and gives us some heat...
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JoanFL

angelface--I've often seen where one state helps another when there is a disaster.

Amy--Glad you had a great day.  I'll go to the hidey hole and get an oatmeal cookie for dessert.  I'll try to sun some warm weather your way.

angelface555

Joan, that type of news if applicable in this Canadian fire situation would be better than learning about  some idiots trying to apportion blame according to their half-baked views. It might also encourage other fire departments and aid groups to attempt to help.

June Drabek

Had a good lunch visit and meal and it lasted a long time. The visitor was late to begin with. She is a lady that lives in Hemet, so that is the reason I was invited to lunch. She has a horse ranch in Temecula, but her home is Hemet. She knows my former place well. Has a friend that lives there. So when I got home I was all tired out and took a long nap in my new recliner. Phone awakened me..my older son from Santa Cruz was calling and we chatted for about 45 min. Now I am starting to feel awake after I read for a bit.

We had a cool day in Stanton, but now the sun has popped out to brighten us up before evening arrives. I should go for a good walk after all my sitting and napping and talking time, but I sure feel too relaxed to worry about it. But I'll do it.

Molly

Good Evening to all Good Friends - I'm a bit late coming into the discussion, but just waved Bon Voyage to my son, David, who came to visit for a few hours earlier today.  I laughed when my phone rang and he said "Hi Mom, I'm about 5 minutes away and just turning onto your street.  See you in a few!"  I was really surprised that he had the time to drive up from his home in South Carolina, but he explained when he arrived that he and his wife will be up in our area again (Charlotte, NC) next week to help her Mom relocate from her house (which was jut sold a short time ago) to the other daughter's house until she can find a smaller home for herself.

David and I had a really good visit, spent a lot of time looking at family photos from years ago - as far back as his childhood and early child/teen years, and remembering all the wonderful experiences he had prior to his first tour of service in the Army as a young man.  He really smiled when he flipped through some of his teen and early adult photos and I recalled those times also.

Our weather has been really hot today in the 80's, so used my overhead fans for the first time.  AC is really too cold for me most of the time, but the fans work well.

We also had a chance to talk about David's forthcoming assignment in June to South KOREA as he steps into an assignment as an Army Chaplain for the American Army folks stationed there.  We talked a lot about that part of the World and I could tell that although he was a bit sad about leaving his family for the year, he was also encouraged RE helping the American soldiers are who are stationed there.

Before he left a few hours later, he called our neighbors next door and asked if he could come to thank them for being so helpful to me.  Then he spent about 30 minutes with them and also had a chance to visit with one of their son's, who has been a private duty officer on several tours abroad.  So it's been a great afternoon!

I'm planning to call my Dr. tomorrow to schedule an MRI to try and determine what is causing my continued INTENSE head pains and how they can be reduced or (hopefully) stopped.  I've always assumed that the head pains are the result of my full-body fall on the cement floor at church 2 years ago, but who knows.  David is also eager to have this check-up done before he heads to the Far East.

Hope everyone had a great day with family and friends!

JaneS

The only things left on my list are cleaning and packing.  I've reserved Wednesday after supper for the packing.  Wed. afternoon when I come from work, I'll weed out from what I have laid out and put away what I don't plan to take and then try to remember what I forgot.

I'm tackling the cleaning a little at a time.  This afternoon I did some dusting (I dislike dusting intensely).  I'd rather get down on my hands and knees and wash up floors with a bucket and a rag than dust!  The front of the house is dusted and I have to do the bedrooms.  I think I'll try to do that tomorrow before I go to work.  So If I don't check in, don't worry.  Once the dusting is done, I'll vacuum.  Maybe I can do that while Kiran is here in the afternoon.  Lately, she spends all her time on the computer with an occasional, "Grammy!  Come here and see this!  It's really neat!"  I taught her how to save things so she doesn't have to start all over when "I write my stories, Grammy".  She asked me if I read the stories she saves and I said, "Not if you don't want me to"  She told me she doesn't mind so I do!  It's usually my comical heartache for the day.  She has a vivid imagination.

I think I'll get the vacuum out and MAYBE do the living room, dining room and kitchen tonight so the kitchen floor is ready to do tomorrow.  I'm just doing things as I feel like it.  And all of a sudden, I don't feel pressured.

I'm going to "set a spell" now and rest up in case I have a sudden attack of ambition.  Enjoy your evening Everyfriend!

Note to Molly!  So nice to see you posting.  I'm glad you had a nice visit with your son!  When does he have to leave for Korea?

Gloria

Oh boy we finally got sunshine about 3 this afternoon. Wonderful to see at last. Forgot what blue sky looked like.

AMY  my favorite meal to have out is breakfast.

JOAN  I think the reason I have oatmeal every morning is that it is so easy to make. Would rather have bacon and eggs but too much work.

HAL  hope you are feeling better today. Take care of yourself.

GLORIA de  we had rain this morning, too. I was surprised when the sun showed up this afternoon.

DON  some people are so dumb. Those thinking the innocent people losing every thing in that horrible fire need a good shaking up. I sure hope some good rain starts in that area to help put that fire out.

SANDY  that link shows a lot more than what has been showed on TV here. So sad.

Think I will head to dreamland early tonight. Been a busy day doing nothing much at all.

Sleep well everyone.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

Molly

JANE - Thanks for inquiring about Chaps' assignment in Korea.  He departs the USA in the second week of May and will be overseas for one year.  Hard on his family in the USA, but that's what our Military guys and gals do for our Country around the World.

Joy

Jane, what a nice story about the young man who still refers to you as "MOM" after all these years.  Stories like that are always so nice to hear. 

Linedancer, thank you for the belated greetings.  Never too late!  I have had 2 days of celebrating my birthday and Mother's Day.  Tomorrow will be a day to rest.

Nice to see you, Molly.  Sure wish you could get some answers for your continued headaches.  Hopefully, the MRI will help solve this problem.  You have been suffering way too long.  Good luck !

Joy

BIG BOX

June Drabek

I'm going to join Gloria and others in dreamland. I haven't done much today, but I'm sure worn out. Have a very Good Night and a happy Monday. Hugs, Love and Prayers, June

JaneS

Thanks Joy, he's a pleasure to talk to.  I just wish he lived closer so we could see him.  He grew up to be such a nice young man.

Molly, please tell Chaps that I thank him for his service and that I remember him in my prayers daily. 

I'm off to Dreamland and I wish Everyfriend a peaceful rest and a good day tomorrow.  Good Night Everyfriend!

halkel

Well, howdy.  We got back home from my Daughters around 3 and I immediately stole the couch and napped until around 5.  My wife disappeared into the bed room and I didn't see her again until about 6.

Had more than enough to eat and an endless variety.  I don't think anyone ate any of the waffles, too much other things.  Wife got some nice gifts as well as nice bouquet of flowers.  I told her to get herself a nice hanging plant from me, but she didn't.  I know it isn't proper, I should have gotten it, but I wanted her to have something she wanted.

Anyway, all I had was some saltine crackers and milk for supper and that did me nicely.

Too much to comment on. I was very happy to see all our Moms having nice visits from their children.  Our kids are certainly one of Gods greatest blessings.

Nite, nite, God Bless and Sweetdreams.

Shirley

Sorry I wasn't here to wish you a Happy Birthday, Joy.... Hope it was a great day and also great Mother's Day.  I also have a son to share a "birthday/Mother's Day"... his is the 11th & year he was born, the day after M-D.

Sun

So sorry, cannot read all back msgs….way behind….had hand operated on and was longest four hours of my life, surely seemed like it.

Hand and arm wrapped & looks like a large baseball bat…only from mid knuckle down to tips of fingers showing //with thumb out to help a little….all stays on till next Thursday…..yes it hurts like the devil ,,,miserable.

Sun

angelface555

JoanFL

Good Monday morning, Everyfriend.   There's strawberry pancakes to accompany your coffee or tea . I wish everyone a nice day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

Water Pistol

When my three-year-old son opened the birthday gift from his grandmother, he discovered a water pistol. He squealed with delight and headed for the nearest sink. I was not so pleased. I turned to Mom and said, "I'm surprised at you. Don't you remember how we used to drive you crazy with water guns?"

Mom smiled and then replied....."I remembered."

Food For Thought

Meat & Bone
(By Rocky Henriques)

A recent article on abcnews.com was entitled, "Kristin Chenoweth: Christian and Gay Rights Supporter." The article explains how she is comfortable talking about her Christian faith and her support for homosexual rights: "I read my Bible and I pray and all of that. I really do," she told the gay-interest publication. "But at the same time, I don't think being gay is a sin. Period."

Chenoweth grew up in Oklahoma's Bible belt and says that her grandmother is her inspiration. She describes a friend of hers growing up who was homosexual: "I asked my Grandma Chenoweth, 'How can it be that he's going to hell? I just don't think that correct.' And she said, 'Well, Kris, I read the Bible like I eat fish: I take the meat, and it serves me well, but I don't choke on the bone.'"

It seems that we live in a day when people of all walks of life - even people in the Bible Belt - take what they like out of the Bible and toss out what they don't like. We like words such as "The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want," but stop up our eyes when we hear other words from the Bible such as "Repent!" Grandmother Chenoweth's words, "I read the Bible like I eat fish: I take the meat, and it serves me well, but I don't choke on the bone" may sound good and sensible until you look a little closer.

The real problem is that we should never "read the Bible like" we eat anything. We should read it as God's Word. And to say that we can toss out what we consider to be "bone" while swallowing what we consider to be "meat" is problematic, because who determines what is "meat" or "bone"?

Suppose I like that new vehicle you just bought, and I decide I don't like it that the Bible says I'm not supposed to steal. Is that a bone that I can toss out? Or when the Bible tells me that I am to love my enemies - do I choke on that one?

Or do I see that ALL of God's Word is exactly that - His Word? Do I recognize the Bible as being 100% God's Word to us today? If I don't, then the entirety of God's Word is in question, because who decides which is true and which is not? I don't have that right. You don't have that right. Nor does anyone else we know. We either accept all of it as truth - "meat" - or none of it.

A. W. Tozer addressed this once by saying, "If you would follow on to know the Lord, come at once to the open Bible expecting it to speak to you. Do not come with the notion that it is a thing which you may push around at your convenience."

In this day of darkness, let us as faithful believers in Christ not be guilty of dissecting God's Word and throwing out any part of it that makes us uncomfortable or with which we happen to disagree. Let us stand firmly under the banner which proclaims without apology that the Bible is God's Holy Word - even the parts we don't like. If the Bible calls it sin, then it's sin. Regardless of what some celebrity says.

Thought of the Day

"Our society has accepted two huge lies. The first is that if you disagree with someone's lifestyle, you must fear or hate them. The second is that to love someone means you agree with everything they believe or do. Both are nonsense. You don't have to compromise convictions to be compassionate."

- Rick Warren

:smitten:

Kelly

Good morning Joan

From a sunny Isle of Man

Kelly

Kelly

Hi Sun
Hope the hand is better soon

Kelly