Random Image

Tom 8 2017

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:52:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Callie, a very happy birthday tomorrow.  You have a very caring family to treat you to something you really want.

Larry, on her Christmas cookie plate for us, Dot had some peanut clusters that included the mini marshmallows.  Kind of rich, but very good.  Because they are so rich, I think I can stay away from them. 

I've been busy sorting, finding catalogs to put in the Recycle box.  There were a lot of them.  I also had a nap and when I came to S&F, I found I had been away long enough to have several folders to read.  Then I went across the street to get the mail.  Tom is not home, but he will be surprised to find out he got the most mail today.  An Amazon package came yesterday and Tom opened it today.  In the box was a 2-oz cylinder of catnip.  Kendrick could not smell through the plastic, but I sprinkled some onto his bed and he hopped right in.

I'll have to read about Grover Cleveland, too.  He must have been a good man, at least to my grandparents, for them to name a son after him.  My Uncle Grover was a good man! 

Larry, that was nice of you to invite your friend to share your Christmas dinner and he probably will not care if it isn't fancy; he'll just appreciate being with someone on Christmas Day. I hope your granddaughter and her friend join you; she doesn't appreciate what family means - yet.

Marilyn and Jean, we are at 33 degrees now at 5:45 pm, in line with your temperatures.  Is the whole country at the same temperature?  Or close?

I've been trying to think which tour it was, but I think it was the year Jim and I drove to North Dakota that in our side trips we were in Teddy Roosevelt country and we saw a cabin he used when hunting in that area.  We were in so many places during the years we traveled that it is hard to remember where and/or when we saw what!

Marilyn, I am sure there were boys named Franklin, but I've seen the name Roosevelt as a first name many times. 

Callie, your 11 pm was midnight for me and I may not have been asleep, but I know I was in bed, so I did not see Paul.  I did see a ship earlier and there may have been 50 people there.  I started to count them, but then there go to be too many.

I see Blabbermouth has taken oven so I'll quit until the next time.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

Mary Ann.  I am having the same eye. Think things lost when right where I should see it.  Seems like small print is getting harder to read at the moment. I had the operation 10 years ago and been fine until this year where I had   gotten dry eye.
Glad I had appt. yesterday with eye doctor and right away he saw that I had Conjunctivitis. put me on a Prescription for 2 weeks and also told me about a off the shelf which is better than the one I have been using.
I always seem to get such strange things. Never heard of this one. Have you heard about it.
Trying to stay off computer and reading for a few dayss
Glad I am staying home for the holidays
JeanneP

Mary Ann

Patricia, I think I saw a picture of the crater on Mars filled with ice.  It is interesting to see the surfaces of the other planets.  I read where Saturn's rings are disappearing at an alarming rate - maybe in one million years they will have disappeared.

Jeanne, I think you are referring to my friend, Carol's, macular degeneration eyes.  She has the wet kind, which is the worst kind.  Jim had it too, but his was dry; he could see out the center of his eye but not the side.  When we'd drive to Florida and he was driving, I had to tell him what the signs said - even "curve", "yield", let alone road names or city names.  If I drove, I could see the signs OK. 

I was told I had the start of both glaucoma and macular degeneration and I don't know if both are causing my eye problems or not.  I have an appointment for mid-January and my optometrist is going to be surprised (maybe not) at how my eyesight has failed since I last saw her.  I can see distance quite good, but I have an awful time trying to read.  I am close enough to what I am typing so I can see this OK, but some people do not enlarge their posts or make them bold and it is hard to read them.  Today, I tried to highlight a post and hit the Control key and the + key and it made the post large enough so I could read it.  I should have known enough to try that earlier, but didn't.  Too old, too soon, too smart, too late.

Tom just came home; he had been to Holland and was going to drive for Uber but said there wasn't enough demand for drivers. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another beautiful morning starting out in the high 30's but we should be in the low 60's before the end of the day.  I have had a busy morning and it soon will be time to leave for Sunday School and then come home and pick up Pat for Church.  I will come back in this afternoon to leave some more comments as don't want to be rushed this morning.

angelface555

What You Need to Know About Baby Powder and Asbestos;

https://vitals.lifehacker.com/what-you-need-to-know-about-baby-powder-and-asbestos-1831235144?utm_source=lifehacker_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2018-12-23

Interesting, fair and nuanced article about company deception, cancer risks and lawsuits lost due to deceptions.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is still a beautiful afternoon.  I led the singing and then did the devotionals for our Sunday School class.  I came home and got Pat and we had a very fine Worship Service.  The music was fantastic as we had a young man who played the violin accompanied by our wonderful pianist.  I believe the man is a member of the Aiken Symphony or the Augusta Symphony.  Our minister said he had experienced a very emotional week as early in the week he thought he was going to have to borrow money from his retirement fund to pay for his very expensive surgery.  However, the next day he was advised his surgery had been approved by his insurance company and then the next day one of our member came to his office and handed him a check for $10,000 to cover his deductible (this was from the secret contributions of the congregation for the purpose).  After the service we went to the Sunshine Grill and split a club sandwich and a serving of potato salad.  When we got home I rested for a couple of hours and am now watching the football game here in my easy chair.

Mary Ann, I don't think I have ever had a peanut cluster that included mini marshmallows but would like them.  However, Pat has never cared for marshmallows so they won't be going into any future peanut clusters.  It sounds like Kendrick already got a Christmas present he appreciates.  It is a lady that I invited to share our Christmas dinner as she was going to be alone.  I still haven't heard anything from my granddaughter.  So we will either have 4 or 6 people at the table and to enjoy a little gift exchange.  Fortunately just a few days ago we set aside some kitchen towels to use as future gift so we will have something to give to Mary along with a little bag of peanut clusters. I think I'll not worry about the Saturn rings as I won't be around to see it.

JeanneP, sorry you are experiencing eye problems and finding the print too small.  Don't forget you can always quickly increase the size of the text you are reading by holding down the control key and using the mouse wheel or the up or down arrow on the keyboard. I see Mary Ann has suggested the same thing.)  I have heard of Conjunctivitis but have never experienced it.  An early Merry Christmas to you since you said you will be staying off the computer.  (I realize that may mean you won't get this but perhaps you will see it.)

Patricia, wasn't that ice crater about a mile wide or more?

Mary Ann

Marilyn, Paul is headed for the Soo and might be there in about an hour, maybe less.  It is 8:12 pm here (and in the Soo) now. 

Has anyone noticed the lights on the bridge from the US to Canada?  The bulbs are in red, white and blue.  They show up only at night.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann, I'm just now checking in, (about 8:30 pm here), so I missed seeing Paul, at the Soo.  However I did enjoy seeing the colored lights on the bridge!  Looks very festive!

Shelley and Claire didn't come today, as planned, but will come tomorrow. The drive takes about two and a half hours, on a normal day, but on Christmas Eve, I'm sure it will be bumper to bumper on the one and only highway that leads to the Santa Clara Valley.  They plan to leave early, so I'm hoping it won't be too difficult of a drive for them.

I have everything ready for tomorrow afternoon and evening.  Our son and family will be here for dinner, as well as Shelley, Claire and Sandy. Our granddaughter is bringing her boyfriend, so the will make ten of us.

Larry, sounds like you enjoyed a lovely musical performance at your church today.  Good that finances have worked out for your minister, so that his surgery will be covered by his insurance company. The extra $10,000, from the congregation, was certainly a wonderful Christmas gift for him, and I'm sure it was greatly appreciated!

I'll probably not post anything tomorrow, but will look in, in the morning and again in the evening.
Wishing you all a joyful and blessed Christmas Eve.       

Sandy

:wave2:
Merry Christmas Eve !
 :wave2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Good Christmas Eve morning.  Pretty sunshine, but cold.  Just checking in and will try to get back later.  Getting my hair done later this morning and have a few little chores before I go down for my hair appt.  I hope everyone will have a not-so-busy day today.

Make it a good day.

Joy 

BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. After some rain last evening we have a beautiful clear sky this morning and currently 37 degrees but headed to the mid-50's this afternoon.  I have to pick up another grocery order at Walmart in a little while but also get some brown sugar and Karo white syrup for something Pat is making for tomorrow.  She has decided to go ahead and prepare the ham and will make macaroni in the Instant Pot to make some mac and cheese for our dinner tomorrow.  This dinner keeps growing from something simple to something a little beyond that but we will work on it today or not so much to do tomorrow.  I did hear from my granddaughter this morning that they will be here so we should have 6 at the dinner table.

Marilyne, maybe with Christmas being on Tuesday and the long weekend ahead of it including today Shelley and Claire won't find the traffic too bad.  The length of their drive is about what we had back and forth to where we use to live around Atlanta.  Fortunately it wasn't necessary for us to go as far as Atlanta as we lived East of it and North Augusta is also East and we could take less traveled roads.  It sounds like you will have a full table with ten in attendance.  I think our Church had succeeded in getting the $10,000 together without our minister having any idea that it was occurring.  I do expect it will be pretty quiet in the discussions tomorrow.  Whether I post or not will depend on how much help Pat may need but think we should have things together pretty much by this evening.

Sandy, Merry Christmas Eve to you and your family as well.  I hope your weather stays pleasant for you.  Will you be with your family tomorrow?

Joy, do you get your hair done there where you live or do you have to go to a shop?

Mary Ann

We've just gotten home from the I-Hop where Tom treated me to breakfast this morning.  I've eaten so many sweets recently, so I had two eggs and toast and that went over very well.  I enjoy going out for a meal with Tom when we are the only ones because that is the only time I get to talk to him.  Usually he is downstairs or out and about.

Tom has last-minute packing to do and I think he is finished shopping.  I want to put the two teddy bears in something; Tom said he is going to the Dollar Store to get some wrapping materials and will get a couple of wrapping bags for the bears but I can always take a couple pieces of regular wrapping paper to put around them.

Merry Christmas Eve to you, Sandy.  I hope the weather is to your liking - snow or no snow! 

Tom left his car out overnight and there was a coating of ice on it, but it was not a solid type, but more like granular.  It came off with no trouble.  We planned to get our online grocery order and waited about 15 minutes and no one came.  Tom called the store and he had called the wrong number.  Our Family Fare store had something wrong with their online shopping because we could not get to them.  The chain has several stores in the north end, so Tom switched to another store and we were able to get our groceries.

From the grocery store we went to I-Hop and here I am!

Marilyn, you're going to have a good-sized group tomorrow.  As far as I know, we will have five adults and two children.  Tom said we would exchange gifts first, then eat.  I think some adults are more anxious to watch the girls than the girls who don't really know what is going on. 

Larry, I am pleased that your granddaughter is going to join you.  I know she does not realize how much it pleases you, but I hope she is a grandmother some day and finds out. 

Larry, if I didn't mention it before, that was such a nice gift from your congregation to your minister.  Amazing that it was kept a secret from him!

Tom's kids had Christmas with their mother and her new family Saturday and Annie got home last night.  I expect she will be here sometime tomorrow to drive to Holland with us - but she may also drive down by herself.  We had taken Sue's mother to Annie's Friday night and James met us there to pick up Carol and they all drove to Omena for their Christmas.  Today Sue, her new husband and Carol are flying to Arizona to be with Sue's new family that she discovered by DNA on Ancestry. 

I had an e-mail this morning that the mother of our Germany relatives has serious cancer and won't last long.  They are a family that celebrates in a big way and I know they'll do the best they can under the circumstances.  In 2000 Carol (Tom's former MIL) and I visited them for a week and had a very enjoyable time.  The son and his family speak some English - or at least they try - but the parents do not.  Guess who stayed with me when they came to visit in 1999!  Sure, the parents!  We had our own brand of sign-language!

If I don't get back here today, I want to wish everyone a Merry Christmas tomorrow.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good late morning from a chilly Interior! We are midway through our winter as we've gone three months in with three months remaining.

We had two outstanding fireworks displays from the University on the Winter Solstice and then on the 22nd from the city in Golden Heart Park.

There were some vivid displays and quite a few BOOMS! But Farrah was very unconcerned. If I hadn't seen her alert to something in the hallway long before I was aware of it, I'd wonder about her hearing!

I remember Sarah would patrol the windows growling at the sounds of fireworks as if she was standing guard. That cat was an excellent guard cat.

I was a Grinch Friday afternoon. Numerous schoolchildren were roaming our halls singing Christmas carols and leaving small bags of toothpaste, toothbrush, and soap on each door.

Then there were the various church groups who did the same. At least the hospitality committee enjoyed receiving all the donations for their newcomers' packets!

MaryAnn, you sound like me. I have had way too many delightful holiday occasions and way too many sweets! Tonite is a small cocktail hour with friends, and then Christmas at Alan and Dora's so the 26th will be a day of needed rest!

On New Year's, we will again have fireworks from both the city and the University with staggered times and the city's will be at Alaskaland this time instead of the nearby park.

I hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and MaryAnn, enjoy those great nieces!

Sandy, you haven't said if you're be seeing Fe over the holidays, but I imagine you are? Thanks for the Christmas Eve wishes!

Larry, I'm sure you will enjoy seeing your granddaughter and Elizabeth with your son!

And Marilyne, double up on your vitamins, that is going to be a busy holiday dinner!

Larry, that crater is Korolev crater: An 82-kilometer-across feature and 2-kilometer deep found in the northern lowlands of Mars.

MarsGal, I went back and looked at the train video again and thanks for the extra information. Gloria Z.'s son in law is a train buff, and she might like the info to send to him in Arizona.

CallieOK

Merry Monday, Everyone,

Thank you for the birthday wishes.  I'd been "sitting" on a secret for about 10 days!  Miss Ellen was to fly home today but had discovered she could actually come a day earlier.  Gammy "helped" with the change of plans but,when none of the family said anything, I decided they were going to try and surprise me. So I kept quiet.
Found out last week that it was the other way around.   Nobody knew except Ellen's sister and me!
Emily made some excuse about meeting a friend for brunch and some last-minute Christmas shopping and said she would come on to her uncle's house (where we were gathering) on her own. I "helped" by saying I'd like to be picked up by the girls' family a bit later  than was suggested. She picked Ellen up at the airport and they were already there when we arrived.  Ellen was in another room and her Mama's reaction when she turned to see who was tapping her on the shoulder was priceless!

Marilyne,  I didn't understand that Amazon Prime releases all the episodes in a series at the same time. So I was thrilled when we were able to watch Episode 10 (the season finale) of "...Mrs. Maisle" and fast-forward to the scene Ellen is in.
It's a long scene in which a couple are having an argument outside a café while he's standing in the middle of the street.  Three women can be seen standing in the very shadowy background every time the camera switches to him.   
We had to "freeze" the frame so she could point out that she is the one in the middle under the orange circular light.  All you can really see are her legs because the rest of her is never in the light.
Even so, it was fun to "see" her and hear her describe the filming experience.

Wishing Every "Bait and Tackler" and families
A Blessed and Merry Christmas

Mary Ann

Plans can get switched at the drop of a hat - and they did.  I think the Holland family did too much over the weekend and they all got sick, one by one.  James was the last one.  So we are going to Holland Saturday.  For Christmas Day we are going to Annie's for a Christmas Brunch, which should be fun, too. 

Tom has been busy doing whatever he was doing and I went through a box of magazines and papers etc, etc and pitched a lot.  Some of the magazines and catalogs will go in the recycle box.  It is still slippery out and I'm happy I did not have to go out to get the mail - Tom got it.  I know I have one card to come yet as my MN cousin always mails her cards at the last minute and I don't remember the last time I received it before Christmas.  She writes the most interesting poems about her year.  She's the only cousin I have left and is three years younger than I am. 

I think I shot my wad at information, so, once again, I'll wish everyone a Merry Christmas tomorrow.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Merry Christmas Morning everyone!

I am off to feed George's kitties a little later this morning and will head over to my sister's for Christmas dinner and the requisite movie.

I heard yesterday that new law was passed very recently here in PA that you must reduce speed 20 miles an hour and move to the other lane if possible when going through a construction zone or passing utility and trash trucks. This mostly common sense and many, including me, already do this, but still we have a high rate of injuries from people who don't. The reduction in speed may be a problem in some areas where the speed limit is already normally 25 or 35 miles an hour. Can you see people crawling by at 5 or 15 miles an hour? I am going to double check on that requirement. I can just see the traffic jam ups from crawling traffic in high use areas now.

Joy

Just want to wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Healthy New Year.

I need to get myself busy before it is time to get ready to go to my son's.

Have a nice and safe day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

MarsGal, Shan's picture is in my Random Image now.  He's a kitten there and I know he's larger, but he's so cute - and fluffy!

In many states, there is a Move Over law regarding vehicles in trouble at the side of the road where you must "move over" to the left lane.  I don't know about reducing speed 20 mph, but I think it mentions slowing down.  Slowing down in construction areas sounds like it could be part of the same law.  It is only common sense to slow down and move over anyway.  I've been in areas of construction where the speed limit is lowered with signs.  If there is only a single lane, there's not much you can do, especially if the lead driver obeys the signs. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Everyone,

larryhanna

Hi Everyone and Merry Christmas to you all. 

It is indeed a beautiful Christmas morning here in South Carolina.  However, we got up to find our heat pump frozen up again so obviously they didn't find the problem or something else has gone back.  However, we have the A/C on now and it has thawed out and we will go back on emergency heat so we will remain comfortable today.  This little problem certainly isn't going to spoil our day.  There is still quite a bit to do this morning to get ready for our family and friend get together this afternoon. 

Mary Ann, iHop puts out a good breakfast and glad you had some special time with Tom.  What a nice Christmas Sue and her family will likely have with the newly discovered family in Arizona.  I hope James and his family will feel up to doing the Christmas on Saturday. 

Patricia, it sounds like you will need a little vacation with all the fireworks and Christmas celebrations are over.  Glad the fireworks didn't bother Farrah.  She obviously feels safe in your apartment and with you.  I had to look it up but see the 82 kilometers is just a little over 50 miles so I was way off.  Thanks for that beautiful graphic Christmas card you posted.  I love those vibrant colors. 

Callie, its hard to keep a secret isn't it but it sounds like it was well worth it to see the surprise on Ellen's mother's face.  What a nice Christmas present for her.  We haven't watched the Mrs. Maisle program on Amazon but it sounds like it is probably good from what I heard and read.  Now Ellen can put on her resume a little film work. 

MarsGal, it is interesting the different customs we follow at different holiday.  I hope you and your sister find a good movie to watch this afternoon.  I don't understand that new law you wrote about.  Is that 20 miles below the posted speed for the construction area?  If not I would think some terrible backups could occur on the major highways. 

Marilyne

Merry Christmas, to all my friends in Bait and Tackle!  We had a wonderful day yesterday, with everyone here, and lots of food and lots of love.  Today will be more of the same, except that our son and family won't be here, as they will be spending Christmas Day with wife's family.

We had something different for dinner last night. Sandy brought a fondue pot, and she and Shelley made the fondue - along with all the different things you dip into it.  It was delicious, and plenty enough for ten people.  We also had a veggie salad, and dil brought a Jello type molded salad, which was very good for a change. We had lots of different types of rolls and breads, and lots of desserts to choose from. 

Today will be traditional food . . . turkey, with all the usual dressing, potatoes, etc.  We also have a peach pie, and some small mince pies with a brandy sauce.  So many cookies and other sweets!  I'm glad a bought a bag of satsuma mandarin oranges at the store yesterday, to have some fresh fruit around.  I plan to eat a few for breakfast this morning.

I hope you all have a good day today, and enjoy friends and family. 

Mary Ann, Sorry that there is illness in your family, so you will have to wait a few more days for Christmas to arrive.

Larry, I'm really happy that Jennifer and Elizabeth will be going you for Christmas dinner today! :)

MarsGal - Looks like you're going to have a nice day with your sister and her family.  Come on into the Television folder later, and tell us what movie you watched?

Joy, have fun at your son's house, with your grandchildren.

Callie, So glad that Ellen came home for Christmas. So nice to have the whole family together. I haven't seen "Mrs. Maisel", yet, but plan to watch I when all the rush is over.

Patricia, I hope you enjoy your dinner with Alan and Dora. Our daughter and granddaughter brought their two cats with them.  The new one is a gorgeous calico named Lily.  I plan to take some pictures of her today, and if so, I'll try to post them in the pet folder.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.Judy, Pat's sister posted this new information on how Pat is doing.

Latest update from Pat's daughter.

Hi Judy,  she's feeling a bit better with regards to her leg pain. I think the procedure appears to have fixed the aneurysm. She is however quite depressed because of the news that she will probably be on a puréed food diet for the rest of her life. She isn't allowed to eat anything chunky at all. All meats must be puréed.
As well she's not very mobile yet barely getting out of bed.
There's no plan yet to send her home. She isn't mobile enough to be independent
She could use all the encouragement she could get.

so CP friends if you are able to write a newsy note or send a Christmas/Get well card message me and I will give you the address to send it.

Mary Ann

Larry, I'm glad to hear news about Pat, but sorry it isn't good news.  I think I'd be down too if I had to eat pureed food the rest of my life. 

Larry, that isn't good about your heat pump so I hope they can find the source of the trouble.  Even in mild SC you want some heat.

Marilyn, with your big crowd, you ate well.  I haven't had fondue for many years.  I love cheese, but I find I can't eat too much of it.  In fact, I just finished eating a slice of sharp cheddar cheese, but I usually have Swiss. 

Patricia, I hope you find what you intended to post.  "Everyone" is waiting!

Our change of plans turned out to be interesting.  I didn't do anything except watch, make a suggestion and eat.  Annie has never learned to cook.  When she lived with me when she and Tom moved here, I couldn't even get her interested in a cake mix.  I know she and her SO eat out a lot and their freezer has many frozen dinners in it.

We had something like Eggs Benedict and Annie and Tom put it together.  It took over an hour to prepare because Annie didn't know the sizes of various cups and spoons.  As Tom said, it was a learning experience for her.  Tom did some of the side work, such as grating cheese and potatoes, but Annie was at the stove.  I was able to tell her why she did things a certain way - such as making a roux and getting the raw flour taste gone.  The end product tasted good.  Annie fixed toasted bread in the oven, put a butter cheese combo on it, put sliced ham on it, then a poached egg.  Tom burned the bacon (something we don't have in our house) but the hash browns turned out nice.  I don't think it is something we will have soon here. 

In a way, Annie takes after her mother.  Sue decided she wanted to knit a sweater for James.  She knew only how to knit, not purl.  She picked out a pattern which I think was simple enough, but she picked out a yarn that was difficult to work with (a mohair) and it knotted and I was forever trying to "unknit" her errors.  And I was only there for a few days.  I know she did not finish the sweater.  I would never have chosen that yarn and I knew how to knit.  So Annie picked a difficult recipe; it was one her mother (or someone) had fixed for the group on Saturday.

The sick family is on their way home.  Tom talked to James while we were at Annie's and they were in Traverse City and they'll take US 31 all the way down to Holland.  I think our Saturday gathering will be Sunday instead - more convenient for others. 

As we were driving home, Tom remarked that at 2:30 Christmas was oven.  It really isn't, but our activity for the day was done.

I've written a volume, so I'll leave room for someone else.  I'll still use a Christmas color for today.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good Evening, been a very quiet day for me. I just want to wish all my friends a very MERRY CHRISTMAS

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

FlaJean

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Sounds like everyone is enjoying a nice Christmas Eve and Day.  We visited with the grandson and family for a few minutes on FaceTime and saw their two children opening presents.  It is so good to see how healthy our grandson looks after all he has been through.  We are so thankful.

Gigi and Jeff cooked a delicious dinner.  We provided some candied yams, mashed potatoes and an Apple pie.  We took some toys for their two little Schnoodles.  I should have taken some photos but didn't think of it until we got home——too late.

So sorry to hear about Pat.  My prayers are with her.  Thanks, Larry, for letting us know.

GloriaDe, glad to see a post from you and hope you are feeling OK.  I remember all our family get together over the years and now our loved ones are scattered here and there with their own families.  Mary Ann, I guess you still have some Christmas family get together to come.  Hope your visit with the little ones goes well.

Beverly

:christmastree:  :christmastree: Merry Christmas!

Hope you all had good Christmas! I'll try to get back in here tomorrow. Not too fond of the new set-up but I will learn my way around.

MarsGal

Good morning eveyone.

I've been lazy about taking new pictures of Shan. He is just as cute, but bigger. He weighed in at just over 13lbs. at the vets the other week. This is a bit more than I expected.

Larry, I am not sure, but I think it is 20 miles below the posted limit. We have had, on the books, a law about slowing down and moving over for disabled vehicles and tow trucks, and at accident sites and road construction sites where you also have to have your headlights on. I don't think it was specific about how much to reduce speed. The new law seems to be an expansion of that law to include any crews that work along roads like, garbage collectors, utility workers and such, I think. We also already have a law that headlights are to be on when windshield wipers are on. The majority of drivers already routinely keep their headlights on regardless. All of these new laws are fine IF they are enforced. I think people are only sited occasionally and when an actual accident occurs where the law wasn't adhered to by the driver. Heck, I rarely see a cop out patrolling anymore, not only on the highways, but also in town.

Maryline, my sister and BIL have a new curved Smart TV. Jim spent a considerable amount of time trying to connect to the internet, etc. Apparently he either does not have something set up right, or the router, which is in his studio two rooms over, is not powerful enough for that setup. It refused to connect to the internet, so they couldn't get into Netflix and their other internet based sites. We ended up watching the rest of the second (I think) of the Hobbit series, Fellowship of the Rings. Starz had a marathon going. We all saw them before, and I read the entire series long ago.

Last night I learned to identify two more stars, Vega and Deneb. Deneb is a busy star being part of the Cygnus constellation, the top of the Northern Cross, and part of the Summer Triangle (Vega and Altair are the other points of the triangle).

Today is cloudy, with the temp now at 27oF.

Mary Ann

Merry the Day after Christmas where all through the house, it is quiet!

Tom has gone out for breakfast and I asked him to bring back a quart of milk so I can make an Instant Breakfast breakfast.  We have two bananas and some yogurt for me to make a drink, we just don't have the milk.

It looks like a dreary day so far but radar doesn't show any precipitation.  It was slippery much of yesterday.

MarsGal, you had a busy day.  I'd be interested in seeing a new picture of Shan but if one doesn't appear, I can't complain because I don't post pictures of Kendrick.  In fact, I don't take them either.  I've got to charge both my phone and camera although I did take a picture of Tom and Annie at the stove putting something together yesterday.  I wish I could see the stars here, but there are too many bright lights. 

Mary Ann   

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another clear and sunny day and suppose to remain that way all day long.  Our high temperature is suppose to be around 60 degrees.  We had a nice time yesterday but our son was and is sick with a cold so he didn't get to participate with us.  We were both pretty well exhausted when everyone left and I retired at 8 pm for the night, slept well probably for 10 hours, but have no energy today.  I plan on staying home and taking it easy today. 

I got hold of the heat pump tech a little after 8 am this morning and he was here before 9 am and all he can find wrong is that the new control board that was installed a few days ago isn't functioning properly and he has gone back to get another new board.  We stayed nice and warm with the electric heat.

Marilyne, the fondue sounds great.  It has been a long time since we have eaten any fondue and we got rid of our fondue pot.  I especially like the big chocolate fountain type fondues that some restaurants have or had in the past with a piece of fruit or a marshmallow.  It sounds like you had a great time with your family and plenty to eat. We were happy to have Jennifer and Elizabeth with us and also enjoyed sharing the afternoon with our friend, who seemed to enjoy herself.  After the meal the ladies played Farkle for awhile and then they had to stop so we could do the gift exchange as our friend had to leave at 5 pm.  The girls then packed up and left and I am ashamed to admit but both Pat and I were very happy to be alone.  I really wonder if we can do this again.   

Mary Ann, I also hope they can find the cause of the heat pump problem.  We have the electric heat so we weren't cold but that is mighty expensive heat.  It sounds like Annie did have a learning experience.  Maybe your get together with James and his wife and little girls will be more traditional on Sunday.

Jean, how great to be able to get to see the two children open their presents.  It is such a nice way of sharing without actually being there.  I always forget to take pictures as well until after the fact.  I never even thought about it yesterday.

Lindancer and Beverly, thanks for the Merry Christmas greeting. 

MarsGal, it sounds like Shan may turn out to be a pretty good sized cat.  Thanks for the further info on the reduced speed limit.  That sounds reasonable.  Our local police are often visible and they do enforce the speed laws.  However, I seldom see police or patrol cars on the Interstate. I have never read the Hobbit series or watched any of the movies.  Do you like the curved TV?