Random Image

bash

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:26:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joy

Good morning ,  Larry, Sandy, Jackie, and Mary Ann.  It is a sunny morning, but still very windy and cold.  I just keep hoping that Spring will show up soon.

Larry, good to see that you had a little bit more productive day yesterday.  I know Pat appreciated your folding the clothes for her.  Not a job I always feel like doing.  I have to check around some more places to see if I can find the steamed crabs.  If that doesn't work out, crab cakes will have to do.  We have a special place where we  get them.

I will get about  half of my federal  taxes back, which is usually what I get.  Maryland still collects state tax, and I get all of that back.  My DIL told me that I should just change my with holding amount to $0, because I pay them every month and then get them all back.  Isn't really a great amount, but I like getting that check back each year.   But, I still might do that.

Mary Ann, I know these "play toys" of ours can get to be very frustrating at times.  Almost feel like throwing it out the window.

I did look at the Two Harbors site this morning and did see 2 people with 2 dogs heading out onto the lake pulling a small sled.  I guess they know just where to go, but I don't think I would chance it any longer.  Looks like a lot of the ice is breaking up.  The channel under the bridge was all cleared of the ice.  Guess the ships will be starting to come back soon. I did watch the coast guard cutter breaking up the ice in the harbor.  Thanks for sharing it.

Grand Haven sure had a different look this morning with the sun shining on all that brown snow/sand (?)

Jackie,  sorry you were disappointed with the physic you went to see.  I am like Mary Ann.  More of a skeptic, also.  But, at least you got out to see something different.

I need to do some laundry later this afternoon.  Can't put it off any longer.  But, need to get myself moving and get the kitchen cleaned up.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Jackie - Too bad that Sally Morgan, turned out to be a disappointment.  I was hoping she would have some interesting revelations,  and that maybe she would take questions from the audience?  I've heard that people who claim to be psychics, usually have a charismatic personality, which is why people are attracted to them and become followers.  Well, as Larry said, at least you had a night out, and got to hear something different. 

Gloria de - I can imagine that you were alarmed when you saw the children playing right there on that narrow bulkhead!  I know I would have been very upset, because I'd feel so helpless, watching from thousands of miles away.  There were probably others who were watching too, and maybe those in Duluth, can call an emergency number like 911, and they would  immediately send police officers or maybe bridge authorities?

Larry - I'm hoping that you will start to slowly get back to normal, when the changeable Spring weather ends.  Maybe the steady warmth of summer will be nice for enjoying the outdoors.  I don't know how far you live from the coast, but I know that I always feel rejuvenated, when we drive to the beach, and just sit and watch the rhythm of the gentle waves as they move back and forth on the sandy shore. Sometimes we go to a place along the cliffs, and watch the waves crashing against the rocks.  Breathing the salt air is supposed to be good for a person?

Mary Ann and Joy - We already received our tax return.  Not a huge amount, but we did get money back from both State and Federal.  Fortunately, AJ does the taxes every year, and all I do is sign my name. If he is ever unable to do them, we would probably pay my dil's sister, who works for H&R Block.

I haven't looked at the webcams yet today, but will scroll through each one when I finish this message.  Yesterday, the Two Harbors Boat Launch, looked very slushy on shore, and the water looked like the ice was breaking up?  Maybe it froze hard again overnight?  (You can tell I know nothing about ice and snow?)

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...It was still worth going, I have no regrets on that...No she didnt take questions, nor particularly pointed to anyone special, she seemed overloaded with often mixed information and if anything registered with any member in the audience they were handed the microphone by a runner, then they were asked the question of what it was that had made them respond..There were of course some good moments that Sally Morgan had hit on..Behind Sally there was a very large screen where we could see the person- people who were standing up and talking to her rather than looking at their backs...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, at least you had a night out - like going to a lecture or concert. 

Yesterday, after Robin finished cleaning for the day, Tom took us to supper.  He wanted to go one place, but their parking lot was full so we ended up at Cheers instead.  Both Tom and Robin had Vegetarian Quesadillas and I had a Club Wrap.  I had half of the wrap at Cheers and brought the other half home.  I just ate half of the half and I'll eat the rest later. 

I've looked at the Great Lakes cams and I'll look at them again.  One ship is to leave Duluth tonight, several will wait until Tuesday.  I am disappointed that the Soo cam is not up and running.  It is a different excuse and sounds as if it is down because of the restaurant. 

Tom is napping now but when he awakes, I'll have him look into the PDF program.  I also get messages that "this app will not work on your PC".  Another is "your sbcglobal password is out of date".  I didn't know I had a password for sbcglobal and I've used it for so many years that I don't know how to find the information.  There is nothing in my book of passwords.  This is when I know my age is catching up with me - or vice versa!

I get small returns on both federal and state taxes.  I had no idea what to expect, so I don't know if it is more or less than usual.  Last year I paid through the nose, so made estimated payments, which I'll do this year, so I am glad to get a small refund because that means Turbo Tax and I guessed pretty well for 2018.

Mary Ann

Sasha

Jackie, good that you went, but Sally's website looked to me like a make-a-buck (euro?) setup. There's an Aussie healer who came to the U.S. a year or so ago to show some MDs what and how he did. Unfortunately, it seems that he had to start from zero with every doctor, and it wore him out quickly. Google Charlie Goldsmith if you're interested. Too bad there are so many Sally Morgans.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

Lindancer

Good Afternoon
Larry I also am so happy you have Scott.  Iam also pleased to seeing you posting more. Some one suggested I have Comfort Keepers come in for afew hours.  I said, why.  I can dress myself, do laundry, (may take two days to get the wash folded) I can still do it nothing to making breakfast, I can cook dinner, I have a Microwave. Like you I set my pill box up for 2 weeks. Can put myself to bed. Oh! feed the cat

Marilyne, I think I have salt water in my veins.that is why I told my future husband from Ala.I would only marry him if he brought me back to Long Island. Last year one of my friends took me to Hampton Bays, we sat at the inlet for nearly and hour It was one of the happiest and peaceful times I had in years. I had even put a picture in here. Between the sounds of thee ocean waves, smell of the salt air and watching the boats come into the bay. Made my day, and I even slept weeel that night

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

Sasha...
...I had not heard of him but what I do like and admire is the fact it says " Charlie does not charge for his healing work."
I was saying the same in the car on our way home last night, if these Psychics are-were given the ability - the gift, why not show their gratitude and pass it on for a no fee- no money, why must they make money via entertainment from what I consider to be a privileged gift?...
I am not a sceptic as I do believe some people are born with or later acquire the gift...Or maybe it is in all of us, only we dont know how to use it...
One thing I am a firm believer in is to look for the signs, a smell that reminds you of the past, a butterfly, a feather falling...

wjoan

Hi All,
I'm back...Sorry for the delay, but I have to depend on my kid's to type in here for me.
Lost my sight due to the fall, & I was in hosp & rehab for 2 month's.
Nice to be able to chat with you again... I'll try & get in more often.
P.S. Thank you to those who contacted me in FB & email..

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where the rivers are mostly running and the hills surrounding and this city's free of snow except in one or two sheltered places. Farrah is having the zoomies punctuated here and there with a hoarse cough. So she is getting some exercise today!

Joan, it is so very nice to see a post from you and you've been missed! I hope things are going better for you now with Spring here and Summer coming!

Larry, you are sounding better and as Marilyne said, summer's warmth will make you feel so much better than winter's chill. It is nice to see a long post and while it may chafe, rest seems to be helping you.

Jackie, when I was younger, in Jack's Beach, Florida, I went with some other navy wives to see a psychic. I asked about my brother who died young in an accident when I was thirteen. She let me know that he was thinking about and watching over me. He was my guardian spirit. Everyone was impressed until I told them on the way home that I had never had a brother.

Those runners you spoke of are the ones, (According to the book I read.); who use a prearranged code when announcing the participant to the psychic. They again will often have people in the audience who are plants to get the audience believing.

I'm sorry I'm not a believer. I believe what we're thinking about is intuition and clues that we're subconsciously picking up on. I  remember when my older sister and I met a hypnotist who worked in dental and pre-surgeries in the nineteen sixties to calm patients. He also worked with those wanting to stop bad habits or with the police if the witness agreed to find clues they'd forgotten altho his work wasn't admissible in court. He said that hypnosis doesn't work on everyone, you have to want it to and that you do not do anything against your wishes.

Almost everything we relate to the supernatural has a simple explanation once we understand it.

Mary Ann

Joan, I'm so happy to see your post.  Post when you can and as often as you want.  There were a lot of questions as to your whereabouts after your fall.

Maybe instead of a skeptic, I am a disbeliever in psychics.  I would be interested in watching one work, but I doubt it would work on me.  Nor would hypnosis.  I will say I have tried neither of those so I really don't know.

We're having a lovely day and our temperature is 50 degrees.  Almost all of our snow is gone, but it's March so we may still get some, especially wet, deep snow.  I've lived here too long to not believe that (see? I do believe in something!)

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Joan - YAY! :thumbup:  Good see you back!  I know it' been a long, slow recovery, but it sounds like you're on the road back.  I'm so sorry about your eyesight.  That's a real bummer, but wonderful that your kids are close, and can help you with the computer and other things in your life.  Keep us posted on how you're doing. 

I'm not a believer is psychic things either.  I remember hoping to get a "sign", when my mother died, back in 1975, but as far as I know, I never got one?  I did dream about her a lot at the time, and I still dream about her - but I don't think dreams are connected with the supernatural, or with departed loved ones?  Once in a while I'll have a dream that I remember clearly, that seems to have some meaning, as far as my present life is concerned.  Most of my dreams fade away quickly, as soon as I wake up.

People who are true believers in reincarnation or past lives, fascinate me.  I guess that's why I'm interested in Shirley MacLaine.  She is serious about her beliefs, and her personal connection to her past lives.

Mary Ann

I went to the Duluth canal site and could see a ship had left; I have no idea what ship it was.  There were lots of people on the pier and the barricade was open.  Maybe Spring will be here after all - or at least to the Duluth area.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Joan, it is so good to hear from you.  I have thought of you often.

We had a beautiful day.  Neither Larry nor I liked the salmon cakes so I guess we just don't like salmon fresh or canned.  We went out to lunch today at Longhorn's steakhouse with our daughter and husband.  Larry and I had steak and Gigi and Jeff had a salmon salad.  They both said it was really good salmon.  I'll take their word that it was but I'll stick with the steak.

When it comes to psychics, I'm in the "I don't know" category.  I watched a video about several police departments which used a psychic in desperation as they were getting nowhere in their investigation.  Several detectives said that the psychic was a big help.  Others said they weren't.  Don't the Irish believe that some people have what they call "second sight"?  I doubt if any two people agree on that subject.

We are enjoying some nice spring weather.  The dogwoods are blooming.  My daughter has the most beautiful white azalea.  I took a photo.  Will try to put it in the proper folder after I have a chance to resize it.

CallieOK

Mary Ann,  the ship leaving was the "Hugh White".  I caught it as it was coming across the harbor and was able to see the name on the side as it went down the Canal.

I noticed the patio was wet about 4:30 this afternoon and there were splashes in the bird bath.  All of a sudden I heard hail on the roof and we had about 10 minutes of very hard small pellets of hail.  There are piles of hail in the corners of my flower beds and, when I just now closed the drapes, there were still some all over the front yard and the street.
My beautiful daffodils are all bent over and some look as if the stems are broken. :(
Clouds lowered like tornado ones do as they passed over but there were no actual funnels that I know of.

Spring is here!!!  Wheee!

I like salmon any way it's fixed - unless it's with any kind of hot spices.  Had it every day while on an Alaska tour.  Haven't made my mother's salmon patties in a very long time.  May have to do something about that.

Hope Everyfriend Everywhere had an Enjoyable Day.

Mary Ann

Thanks, Callie.  A day or so ago when I was at that site, I remember seeing a ship with the name White, was ready to leave.  When I first saw it today, I thought it was coming in but the superstructure was at the back and I realized the ship had left.

I think we're to have decent weather for the next week and temperatures will slowly increase.  It's 37 now at 9:10 pm EDT and we should be in the 50s during the day later in the week.  I do think Spring is going to live up to its name, but it may take a while.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Mary Ann, correct name of ship is H Lee White.  I don't remember seeing it before today.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is another beautiful morning with an expected high of 77 degrees and the sun should shine most of the daylight hours.  I woke up tired this morning although I had a good nights sleep.  By the time I got my shower, washed out the hose to my CPAP machine and got dressed I could hardly hold my head up.  I asked Pat to put my breakfast tray together and bring it to my office this morning, something I very seldom do.  I appreciate your comments that I am probably feeling better although that isn't the fact.  My longer posts just mean that I got started writing and didn't want to leave anyone out of my comments.  Today is not one of those days so just going to check in.  I have read all of the postings since I posted yesterday. Joan, how nice to read your post and know you will be back to joining us here.

Mary Ann

Larry, from previous posts, I kind of thought you were at a standstill.  I do appreciate your checking in each day to let us know you are still here. 

Callie, I remember seeing the name of H Lee White in Duluth last week, ready to leave.  I think I had seen the name before, but it is not one I've seen often.  I notice most of the ships shown in Duluth will arrive Tuesday. 

My brain went into overdrive last night and I was still awake at 3:30 so I got up and came to the computer for an hour.  I also made myself a cup of hot mint chocolate.  I went back to bed at 4:30 and was asleep by 5 am.  I woke at 8:30 and decided I was not awake enough to go to church.  I'd like to do out Cholesterol Pit thing tomorrow.

Tom has gone to his church and will go to Holland for most of the day. 

The sun is shining and the temperature is near 50 degrees.  How nice!

Mary Ann

wjoan

Thanks all.  Has been a long road but am finally almost back to normal.  Well, except for the eye.  Lost a lot of weight and that is a good thing.  Son was at the Hosp. and Rehab daily.  Spent the day helping me eat and stuff.  He continued to do this even after I came home and then we slowly stopped this daily visit.  I loe hime early but enough is enough.  LOL  He does my shopping once a week for me now and we visit on those days.Candy lives right upstis so she can come down whenever she want but also not as much. 

I have books on tape from the Library and that is a God send.  :)  I have missed you all and am happy to be back.  Please excust mis-spells.  Hugs all around,

wjoan

FORGOT TO MENTION WE HAD SNOW FOR ALL OF FEB. AND HALF OF MARCH.  WE USUALLY ONLY GET ONE DAY,  MAYBE TWO BUT NEVER LIKE THIS.  LAST TIME IT SNOWED THAT MUCH WAS IN 1916.

Joy

Just dropping by in a hurry.  I am in between waiting for the washer and dryer to get done.  Hadn't planned on doing laundry this morning, but worked out that the laundry room wasn't busy when I first went in, but now there are two other people waiting.
That is the bad part of having to share the laundry room with all the other people.  Hate not being able to have my own.  But, it is what it is !

Joan, so nice to see your message, but sorry you are still having difficulty with seeing.  I am sure, you are like a lot of the rest of us, so tired of snow and can't wait for spring.  Today, it is to be almost up to 60ยบ, and the sun is shining.  But, rain again tomorrow.  However, the coming up week end, so far, is supposed to be beautiful !  Hopefully, I can plan to go out somewhere.

Larry, so sorry that you are still not up to your usual self.  But, glad to see that you were able to write a greeting today.  I get tired quite easily, but if I sit for a bit, I am ok.  I , too, am glad that Scott is able to help out,

MaryAnn, I haven't seen any ships yet, but glad to hear that the pier and canal is beginning to come to life. 

I am another one who can't get into the "physic" stuff. 

Need to go check on my laundry.  Have a wonderful afternoon.!

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Joan - so nice to see your message here this morning! Don't worry about typos or misspellings!  I'm getting to be just as bad, but I have no excuse!  I have to click on "Preview" a couple of times and correct my errors, before I hit "Post".  Even then I miss a few every time.

I saw on the news about all your snow in Eastern Washington - Seattle area too.  We've had endless rain all Winter, and finally, after about 10 years, our drought is officially over!  That means we will have green lawns this summer, as well as rivers flowing and lakes and dams with enough water for recreation.  I hope it helps with the wildfire problems, but likely won't, because things dry out mighty fast after the rainy season ends.

Larry - I'm so very sorry to read that you tired so quickly this morning. It doesn't sound good, but we can hope and pray that you will have better days ahead.

Mary Ann - Last night I saw on the Canal Schedule, that the Mesabi Miner, was arriving (or departing?)  Whichever it was, I missed it. a few people were still milling around the canal area.  I guess, being as it was Saturday night, lots of folks like to hang out there, in hopes of doing some boat watching.  I noticed that Paul, is on the schedule for the 26th, which is Tuesday?  I would very much like to see his first appearance in the Spring of 2019, but I'm afraid I'll have to miss it.  Shelley and Claire, are arriving tomorrow (Monday) for a couple of days.  We have a few things planned for Tuesday and Tuesday evening, so I most likely won't be on the computer.  Paul, is always late, so maybe if he is stalled until after 10:00 PM, I'll be here!

I hope you have lunch with Dot today, at The Cholesterol Pit?  Think of me, when you bite into that Tuna Melt! ;D

Sasha

JOAN!!!! You'll be the high point of our day! SO good to connect, and thanks to your "middleman", if you use one, too.

If you're raised in an area where there's someone with the sight or an unusual ability, then you accept it for the rest of your life. If you're interested, google Windbridge Institute for a group that tests people who claim psychic abilities. I personally think the ability waxes and wanes, and there are better ways to make a living. But then, no one is beating my door down to get a "reading."
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

Mary Ann

Because Dot and I did not eat out, Tom asked if I wanted to go to breakfast.  I did, so we went to New Beginnings where I had eggs and toast and decaf.  Tom had a couple of pancakes and eggs and said he will be under the hospital's direction for diet and losing weight.  He said he'd be eating more at home.  I told him the reason I must take a potassium pill is that I don't eat salads and green veggies like I did when I was alone  I have to have a sweet occasionally during the day, but I can hide them from Tom; my sweet is a peanut butter cookie when I get up and one after supper.  I am not a candy eater unless I need a mint when I get to coughing.  I am getting to the weight I want to be, although I have 10 pounds to go.  A few years ago, I was 25 pounds heavier than I am now.  I bought a cinnamon roll today to bring home and I'll have it for lunch because Tom will not be here.  He's heading for Holland right now and says both of his lady friends watch what they feed him. 

Dot and I will eat out probably Monday and we will have our Tuna Melt!

Our temperature is 50+ degrees and I wore my Spring coat.  I'd like to retire my winter jacket for the season, but I'm not sure about that yet.

Joan, it was so good to see your post today and thanks to your family for getting you started today.  It is good Dan and Candy live near enough to help you.  So much of our snow has disappeared.  We had a pile in the front yard that must have been 3-4 feet high and there is one little spot about a foot in diameter.  Tom said he expected it to be gone when he gets home tonight because our temp will be in the mid 50s to low 60s.

Marilyn, most of the ships seem to be arriving Tuesday, from where, I have no idea.  I'm ticked off about the Soo site; with the season starting that site should be in order for viewing.  Maybe some day - I hope, I hope, I hope!  (Who used to say that?)

At 2:15 pm I'm ready for a nap - catch up on what I lost last night.

Hi Sasha!

Mary Ann

wjoan

Mary Ann, yes I am fortunate to have two of my children local here.    Now that I am in here I can carry on from there.  Thought I might have to fill out all the info first so had to wait for their help.  All we did is put my user name and passwor in and all was taken care of.  I like that.

Our snow is now all melted after a week of no snow and some sunshine and higher temps.  We are also in the 50 and 60's.

Mary Ann

Not everyone here posts in the Soda Shoppe but Gloria Z had a message that June Drabek died March 6. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Sorry to hear about June Drabek. My condolences to her family and friends.

I haven't had much going on this last week. Next Wednesday, Sue and I will be attending the next meeting of the Welsh Society. It is being held at Hoss's on the other side of Mechanicsburg. I have not been in that one in years. It was one of the first to open in the area.

Lucy has discovered the joys of walking across my keyboard and editing my posts into oblivion before I can post them.

Yesterday while in BJ's I broke down and bought a bag of Hershey Miniatures. I haven't had candy since last summer. I still have a few things to get at the grocery store, but I can put that off for a little while til the list gets a little bigger.

CallieOK

I'm so very sorry to learn about June Drabek.  Thanks, Mary Ann.

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann..
...to say I read your message with my mouth open in shock is an understatement...June Drabek passed on the 6th, that was the day Gloria last got a message from Dori and posted, the same day that she passed away, how uncanny...She must have passed later in the day with her Dori at her bedside...I am so sad, she was a strong and gutsy lady, who one would have thought would have gone on forever...
Rest In Peace June Drabek...

wjoan

QUESTION:  While I was in the Hosp. and Rehab last year it seems that Kona Coffee  has made an exit from all the stores?  Anyone know why?