Random Image

Parade-7.jpg

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:03:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lindancer

I will have to try to remember to wat that show on the 23rd. I cannot record anything, as our cablevision  has it blocked unless you pay them

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

Rammel.
Yes,I remember it was long. My address is here under my name  its. gmjeannep2@gmail.com
JeanneP

RAMMEL

Quote from: JeanneP on December 09, 2018, 09:21:31 PMRammel.
Yes,I remember it was long. My address is here under my name  its. gmjeannep2@gmail.com

Just sent it now.  8:56pm Monday   Let me know if it works OK.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Tonight I plan to watch O Henry's Full House, which I recorded over the weekend. I do like the two sentimental stories, "The Gift of the Magi", and "The last Leaf".  The others, I don't remember that well, but will give them a look and see how they've held up over the years. I remember reading, "The Ransom of Red Chief", when I was about ten years old. 

My daughter went yesterday to see the new movie, A Star is Born, and she called me last night to tell me how good it is, and how much she liked it. Of course she has never seen the older versions of the story, so had nothing to compare with the new one.  I've seen the Barbra Streisand/Kris Kristofferson version from the 1970's, and I will watch it again when it plays on Turner.  Also the Judy Garland/James Mason version from the 1950's, is excellent.  I didn't realize that there was an even older one, from 1937, starring Frederick March and Myrna Loye. 

Callie - I know that you go to a "walk in" movie occasionally, so maybe the new version, is one you would like? It will be long time before it's available for television.  There are so very few good movies being made in recent years, and I guess the new "Star" is the one for this year!  Nominated for some Golden Globes.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I probably won't suggest going to a movie with Lady Gaga and whoever the male lead is but if a friend does, I'll try it.

Did I mention I watched "Holiday Inn" on Saturday night. Did a split screen with the Heisman Trophy awards so I could see if "my" Sooner guy won.  He did!  :thumbup:
The stage production tap dancer who was the Fred Astaire character did the Firecracker number and was very good.

Darcy Lynn Farmer, the young Oklahoma ventriloquist who won "America's Got Talent" will have a special on NBC tonight.  She lives in a small community not far from here.  I don't know her but find the news stories that we occasionally see interesting as she is changing from a "regular" 14-year-old into an experienced and well-traveled performer.

JeanneP

There will be a new "Call the Midwife" Christmas show on Christmas Eve I read. I think it said a Special.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Yesterday I watched O.Henry's Full House, narrated by John Steinbeck. All of the stories are good, although a bit old fashioned and sentimental, by today's standards. "The Gift of the Magi", was written in 1905, and the others around that time period also, so of course they would seem very different from anything written today. That's what makes them unusual, and fun to watch. "Magi" is still my favorite, and always reminds me of what an impression it made on me, when I was a girl, and read it for the first time. There have been a couple of modern versions of that story done on TV in recent years, that have been pretty good.

Let us know if you have seen any of the Christmas movies playing on TV now? Not only the oldies on TCM, but also the new ones on Hallmark.  I haven't seen many of those this year, but I still have plenty of time!

Tomereader1

I want to know, how do I get notifications (posts) in the areas I frequent, without having to go thru two or three different areas to find: i.e., television today, library bookshelf, etc.  I'm not even getting a notification of anything pertaining to Seniors&Friends, Whaaat???

Marilyne

Tome - I'm sorry, but I can't help you with the notifications, because I have never used them.  However, many members do rely on them, and have been having some problems.  Go here, to this folder, and someone will help you. https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?topic=631.msg146278#bot

FlaJean

Rented an old movie last night from ITunes ——- "Indiscreet" with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman.  Both of those stars are favorites.  Then watched "All the President's Men" with Dustin Hoffman and Robert Redford.  I love that movie although I'm afraid history might be repeating itself. ☹️

phyllis

I've been watching "Pride and Prejudice" (the Colin Firth version) for perhaps the umpteenth time and really enjoying it.  It is on Amazon Prime streaming channel.  I see new and different things that I have missed or glossed over when I have watched it before.  The English scenery is, as always, so beautiful.
phyllis
Cary,NC

SCFSue

Phyllis, Pride and Prejudice is my favorite Jane Austen novel.  I have made a copy of all her novels on my Kindle and re-read them at least once a year.  She was a marvelous writer and her novels truly satisfy me (and perhaps many more readers). 

Sue

Marilyne

Good Morning Sue and Phyllis: Mention "Pride and Prejudice", and we all sit up and take notice! :) I didn't realize it was playing on Amazon Prime, so thank you Phyllis!  I've seen all versions over the years, and have enjoyed them all. The one from 2005, is excellent I think, with Brenda Blethyn, Kiera Knightly and Matthew Macfadyen, as Mr. Darcy.

Phyllis, there are lots of good shows on Amazon that we've watched or plan to watch - the same with Netflix. Last night we started the second season of "Mrs. Maisel".  Episode #1 was a little scattered and confusing, but I will definitely stick with it.  I loved the first Season.

JeanneP

Call the midwife is going to be on again tonight. Sat. Glad because I missed it the other night. I think the New series starts early January.
JeanneP

CallieOK

Marilyne,  when you get to Episode 10 in "....Mrs. Maisle", be aware when there's a scene of a couple having an argument outside a diner.  Each time the camera focuses on him standing in the street, the "lady" standing under the round orange light on the curb behind him is my granddaughter.  About all you can see are her legs.
She's here for the holidays and we took a picture of her pointing to herself and enjoyed listening to her tell about her experience being an Extra.

Lindancer

Good evening. Last night I watched two Hume Cronyn and jessica Tandy movies one was Dance With The White Dog, and forgot the name of the other one.

FlaJean

Sunday night Casablanca was on TCM.  I like that movie better each time I see it.  I don't usually like Humphrey Bogart but he was perfect in that role. Ingrid Bergman was always a favorite.

Watching the Rose parade.  Some of those floats are amazing.  Just wish there weren't so many commercials.

Lindancer

flaJean I also watched the parade to day. Use to watch on HGTV, but they did not have it on to day.  they use to advertise before the parade no advertisements. I also watched the Disney parade, but they overdo the advertising.HAPPY NEW YEAR

Tomereader1

To JeanneP, if you have Netflix, the entire Call The Midwife series is on there. Now that would really be "bingeing"! :crazy2:

Tomereader1

Well, Marilyne, I have found this board, and am glad to find it, but looks like very few come here to post.

Marilyne

Yep - seems that nobody wants to talk about what they watch on TV?  I know everyone is watching something, but keeping it to themselves! ha ha!   I think I'm the only one who likes movies, both old and new.  Some members enjoy the Hallmark Channel movies . . . I like them, but only at Christmas time. Otherwise I watch the old and new movies On Demand, on TCM, or on Netflix.  I also like the Awards shows, like the recent Golden Globes. Gives me ideas, as to what to look for in the way of TV shows and movies.

Last night we watched a Film Noir movie from 1953, called "Angel Face", with Robert Mitchum and Jean Simmons.  We both love those oldies.  Tonight is Sharks Hockey, which AJ watches on the big screen TV in the living room.  I'll look to see if there is a movie on PBS, that I can watch on the other TV  set.  If not, I'll probably find something.

Let us know what you've seen, that you recommend? 

Lindancer

Marilyne I plan to watch Victoria to night, it is starting back

Sandy

I hope to watch Victoria tonight too!!

I am  a big tv fan ...  Use Roku to view
all that I have made available to myself. 
Showtime,  Netflix,  Hulu,  Prime (from Amazon)
and many, many, many more.   

I watch two soqps (still),  Young and the Restless,
and Bold and the Beautiful.    Always have a channel
turned to MSNBC...  (RockinRooster's Politics Live Stream)
from the internet...  (free)

I have lots of options on my TV..   
And I enjoy having and making the most
out of it.   

Be it politics, soaps, news, movies,  series etc. 
I could go on and on...   

But I won't ...

Sandy    :crazy2:

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Sandy - Thanks for the run-down on your viewing habits!  Looks like you are enjoying your set, which is a good thing to do when the weather is cold and dreary . . . or hot and sunny!

Let us know what you like on the many channels that you watch.  What are your favorites on Amazon and Netflix?  I like Mrs. Maisel, and The Man in the High Castle, on Amazon. On Showtime, I've been following Ray Donovan, for years.  It should have ended a couple of seasons ago, when Abby died, but for whatever reason, it continues on, with unrealistic storylines. The character played by Susan Sarandon is unlikely and rather ridiculous, but I continue watching. ::) My favorite character on that show is Terry, and I keep hoping for the best for him, but things aren't looking very good for his future.

On Netflix, we watched both seasons of, Ozark.  Too violent for my tastes. Talk about unrealistic! We figured that someone was killed, or died, on every single episode of Season #2. I can't relate to any of the characters on that show, except the two kids. I was so happy when Charlotte was about to become an Emancipated Minor, so she could get away from that madhouse, but . . . looks like that's not going to happen? :(   

phyllis

I watched Victoria last night, too, and started to watch The Wedding (another show about Victoria and Albert) but got too sleepy and went to bed.

I'm trying to decide now whether to cut the cord or not.  David (son) bought an indoor antenna not long ago and we can get about 30+ stations locally.  However, bad weather does make it breakup and our weather yesterday was rainy, cold, and miserable.  I watch on antenna for news and some sports but mostly I watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, Starz and HBO as streaming channels and Roku which offers a lot of new and old tv shows and movies. 

I watched Outlander yesterday morning, and every Sunday morning, but I stream it on my computer and use earphones so I don't disturb David who is still sleeping upstairs.  Then I will watch it again on the big tv screen.  I probably will make a decision soon on whether to stop my cable tv package but haven't come to it yet.  I really hate paying outrageous prices for hundreds of channels that I never watch.

David enjoys Mrs. Maisel more than I do since he recognizes so many of the areas where it takes place.  He lived and worked in Manhattan for 30 years so much is familiar to him.  I watched The Man in the High Castle but haven't gotten back into the new season yet.  Never watched Ray Donovan but might check it out. I watched "Burlesque" (movie with Cher and others) the other night on Starz.  It was ok but still can't figure out why every song has to be screamed at the top of their lungs.

I love to read so do that mostly but I watch a lot of tv, too.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Probably have more to post over in the Library because I've been reading e-books instead of watching t.v.  I don't care for the "reality" shows or re-runs.  Only watch old movies once in a while - mostly ones I haven't already seen..even "way back when".

My son/dil added me to their Netflix account.  Saw a story on the news last night that users who have added people may be stopped from doing that.  Doubt I'd get an account of my own because I haven't watched as many things as I thought I would.  I'm sure it would be the same if I subscribed to any of the other "streaming" channels.  I do get HBO as part of my cable subscription.  (I heartily agree with not liking the cost for channels I'll never watch.)

I did start the new season of "Victoria" last night and "more or less" watched the first episode of The Wedding.  I guess it would be called a "docudrama" and I doubt if I'll follow up with part 2. For one thing, the actors portraying V & A aren't nearly as good as the ones on "Victoria".

I'm sure I've commented on my granddaughter being an Extra in Episode 10 of "....Mrs Maisel".  She said part of 14th street in NYC was closed down for the scenes that include the one she's in.  She said everything was taken out of the shop windows and replaced with items reflecting the 50's.

Lindancer

Callie, I did watch Victorie last night. I wonder how many episodes they will play.,I started to watch the Wedding, but after a while I thought it boring. I read a complaint about Mrs Maisel, that it is a 50's show, but they are playing 60's music. I have never seen it.

Sandy I have been watching General Hospital since day 1, over 50 years.

Marilyne

I did watch the first couple of episodes of season #1, of Victoria, but I just couldn't get into it. Not sure what it was, but I had no interest in continuing on with the series.  On the other hand, I was enthralled by The Crown, and watched every episode of both seasons, and am looking forward to Season #3. I Realize that a lot of you don't have Netflix, so you were unable to see "Crown", but it will eventually play on other channels, and I hope you all have a chance to see it.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I did watch "The Crown" on Netflix and enjoyed it.  When does the new season begin?

Is there a way to find out when new seasons of anything begin on Netflix - ther than scrolling through to find the "new series" notice on the show's icon?  I really don't want to take time to do that.

FlaJean

Callie, Netflix always sends me notifications in email.  I also see notifications if I look at the Netflix app on my iPad.