Random Image

Girl and Cat

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

Rammel, my husband says they are comfortable.  He says they have a return policy within 60 days if a person can't use them, but you have to pay the return shipping costs.

My youngest grandson plays a lot of video games so my daughter bought him the kind of head phones that fit over the ears because the other type bothered him, but that probably shuts the sound off completely to everyone else.  Nothing wrong with his hearing, he was driving them crazy with the noise.

RAMMEL

Thanks Jean (and husband).  Now I have enough info to make my pitch for some reasonable TV time  :knuppel2:  But the final decision will be with the user.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Lindancer

Jean, I tried expensive head phones, before I got the TV ears, which my audiologist recommended eight years ago. I can do dishes and still hear the TV :) I have 3 sets, as I have 3 TV's

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Marilyne

It's been a while since anyone has commented on a TV show or movie?   Any favorites out there to recommend?   I think there's now so many hundreds of programs and movies on every day and night, that it's unusual if any of us happen to see the same show?  As I've mentioned before, we have just about every channel, plus Netflix and Amazon. 

Last night we watched a brand new movie on Netflix, called The Highwaymen, starring Kevin Kostner and Woody Harrelson. It's a true story about two old retired Texas Rangers, who are hired back by the Governor of Texas, to hunt down and kill Bonnie and Clyde.  At that time in history (1934) the Governor was a woman, played by Kathy Bates, in the movie.

Although I've seen the old movie "Bonnie and Clyde", that won Oscar awards the 1960's, this one is completely different.  The look of the movie is just amazing . . . you feel like you have stepped back in time to 1934, into the depths of the Depression. The scenes capture an authentic look at the shanty towns, tent cities, the bleak interiors of the houses, and the hopelessness of the American people during that time in history. The story takes place in Texas, Oklahoma and Louisiana. 

RAMMEL

I'm not much of a movie fan so not of much help in that area, but I do like the DIY shows. Some of them are good and helpful while some fall mostly into the comedy category.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

FlaJean

Marilyne, I'm not a big movie fan and don't watch many movies, but Larry watched that movie on Netflix and gave it a thumb's up.  I was watching something on the bedroom TV (probably Cook Country or Martha Stewart Bakes).  I don't know why I like those cooking shows because I sure don't like to cook, but I do enjoy watching someone else cook, apparently. 😊

JeanneP

Did anyone watch the new Masterpiece Sunday night. Mrs Miller? I think it is just a 2 part series. I really liked it.
Seems that been very little to watch on Public TV for months. Everything has been on before.  Really getting their money on Some of them. Specialy  Dalton Abbey. I seem to have watched all of the 3 times. Even showing other shows that went off years ago and on everything still Pledging.  I thought some good shows coming on in April on all the standard Stations such as CBS .and the others. I don't pay for the big stations just the Basic with a few free stations that do such as Old Movies, Cooking.Some of the old comedies. Not a sport watcher.  Soon will be summer and then watch very little 
JeanneP

Marilyne

Rick - I also enjoy some of the DIY shows and most of the HGTV shows, but will always prefer a movie or a series show, over anything else.  I've been trying to convince you to watch Lost in Yonkers, for many years now, and I still think about you every time I see it playing on TCM. I think both you and your wife would enjoy it. I love films that take place during the 1940's, of which there are many to choose from.  The next time I see that it's coming up on Turner, I'll remind you again!  :)

Jean - I would have to be tied down, or bribed with a lot of money, to sit through a cooking show! ;D  There was one, many years ago that I liked, featuring Chef Emiril Lagasse, that I watched occasionally, but only because he had a good personality, and made me laugh.   

RAMMEL

Speaking of "Lost in Yonkers" ------- I think I've been that for years  :'(
I just checked and it is available on Amazon - free for Prime Members.  It's getting closer. I think I did see part of it one time when my wife was watching it.
https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Yonkers-Richard-Dreyfuss/dp/B07FYD2YNK/ref=nav_signin?keywords=lost+in+yonkers&qid=1554504890&s=instant-video&sr=1-1-catcorr&;
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

FlaJean

Marilyne, I use to watch Chef Emiril on the Food Network years ago.  We have been to his restaurant in Sandestin twice.  It is advertised as Italian  Restaurant,  but it isn't like any I've ever been to.  We went in the afternoon and the menu has weird choices.  After the first trip, we said we wouldn't go back, but we did try it once again a couple of months ago.  Their service is good but the menu choices are terrible and not worth the prices.  I don't think we will be tempted to try it a third time.  They weren't busy either time we were there.

Lindancer

FlaJean, I enjoy watching Martha Stewart. I was to TV show a few years ago.  what a beautiful set and large. I like Cooks Country and one called Milk something. The man form Cooks Country is on it now.  I cannot think to night, sorry

phyllis

I watch all of the cooking shows on Sunday afternoon when I am wanting a break from whatever sports event is being shown on the other channels. I really like watching them though I don't cook like that anymore.  I order a delivery from Schwan's Foods every month so generally I just pull their already prepared food from the freezer and heat it in the oven or microwave.  We like their food and it relieves my kitchen duties.  Hard for me to be on my feet very long anymore.  My younger son and DIL gave me a gift of Kansas City Steaks for Christmas and that is what we will be having today.  Along with stuffed potatoes (also from KC Steaks) and a vegetable (also from the freezer).  It makes a good balanced meal without a whole lot of effort on my part.  After cooking for more 70 years I think I deserve a break! ;) 
phyllis
Cary,NC

JeanneP

I would rather watch Cooking shows on TV and most other things on these days. They are getting the same though now. Repeats. Lots of the people doing them have passed. Still watch Julie Childs ones. She was sorta funny. Lots of young women Chefs now.
JeanneP

Marilyne

Jean - I'm curious as to what you had at Emeril's restaurant, that was "weird"? LOL :D   Usually an Italian menu is pretty straightforward, with a selection of pasta dishes or fish?  It's been so many years since his show was on TV, that I've forgotten what he specialized in.  I think it was Cajun food?

Phyllis - I've read so much about Schwan's, and would love to try it, but unfortunately they don't have a presence in California.  I would try ANY service that brought ready to eat food, but we seem to have nothing but those home delivered boxes of ingredients,(veggies, meat, etc.) where you prepare everything yourself - including peeling potatoes!  I can no longer peel a potato or even a carrot, and it's also difficult for me to chop onions, celery, and sauté veggies. Like you, I've been doing it for 65+ years, and I'm through with it! I want to sit down and eat a meal that someone else has prepared, but it's difficult to go to a restaurant that's close to home. Too crowded, with a long wait.

JeanneP - I used to watch Julia Child, long ago when she was on PBS.  She was another cook, with a great sense of humor.  I think I like the personality of the cook, more than the preparation of the food itself. Did you ever get your new car?  Tell us what brand and style?   

FlaJean

Marilyne, there were items I have never seen in another Italian restaurant.  I had a long narrow pizza like dish that had some sausage on it and my husband got a meat ball with red sauce.  Every item is individually priced. I had a banana cream pie and was surprised when it came in a small glass—-a little bit of crust at the bottom and then what looked like banana pudding.  Expensive and not worth the money.  You can watch the chefs as they prepare everything but very simple tables and chairs—-nothing fancy.  I was disappointed especially as Gigi and Jeff had gone in the evening and was talking about good it was. 

When we go to Carrabba's they will cook from the dinner menu even at lunch time.  In fact, my husband's favorite is veal picata with lemon butter sauce and they cook it even tho' it isn't even on their menu.

GloriaDe, that guy that used to be on Cook Country is Chris Kimball and he has started Milk Street Kitchen.  I've watched it a few times.  He is the one that started Cook Country but I read where he had a contract dispute them so he started his own new cooking show.

JeanneP, I did read in one of the forums that you bought a new car.  I was reading a book that included information about a parrot and thought about you.  Is your parrot still living?

I made another loaf of bread this morning.  It is much easier than I thought it would be by using the dough program on the bread machine.  I want to try making some dinner rolls.  They look like they would be easy.  Well, my stomach is growling so it is time to go eat.

JeanneP

Jean. My older parrot of 27 years died a few years ago. Have a small one still.
Now yes. got new car. Have to take my Drivers test this week. Makes me nervous. So different from my old car.

Read my postings in the Computer forum. I had no WiFi or Internet . TV service all week . was fixed today. other than my IPad.  Missed all 3 of my Sunday night shows, What happened on Mrs Miller?
JeanneP

Marilyne

JeanneP - What kind of new car did you get?  Let us know how you do on your drivers test this week?  I would be worried, if I had to take an actual  "behind the wheel" drivers  test at DMV!  You never have to take one in California, no matter how old you are.  The original driving test is good forever. You only have to take the written test and the eye test, when you renew your license.

Gloria de - I hope you come in today, and say hello.  Haven't seen posts from you in any of the folders for a couple of days?

Jean - I had to laugh when I read about your visit to Emeril's restaurant.  That's now the trendy way, at the restaurants that have a "chef", and are considered to be high end.  Everything is priced separately.  Last year we went to a brand new New Orleans style place, here in town, with our daughter.   We had heard was very good, from our son and dil.  I ordered Jambalaya, and when it came, it was in a small bowl, about the size of a cup.  That was all!  No bread, so veggies, no nothing!   Like Larry, AJ had ordered a meat ball, and that's exactly what it was - one meat ball with about a tablespoon of sauce.  I don't remember what Sandy ordered, but it was also one small single item!    Well we  felt like a bunch of dummy's, because it was obvious that we didn't know any better. :-[   We just assumed that our order would come with veggies, potato or rice, and bread, and AJ expected his meat ball to be on a plate with pasta, and sauce.  The waiter was incredibly rude.  He knew we were clueless, and should have told us that the things we ordered were small single servings, and that you had to order bread, and everything else you wanted, separately. 

Getting back to Television - I want to recommend a short, six episode series on Netflix, called After Life.  It's a British show, starring the comedian, Ricky Gervais.  The story is about a man (Gervais) who has lost his wife to breast cancer, and is learning to cope and navigate life without her.   It sounds like an odd premise, to be starring a comedian, but it works.  It contains just the right amount of  humor, mixed with the grief and the memories.  There are lots of wonderful character actors, that I especially love to see on the British shows.  One of the women who is a regular is Penelope Wilton, who played Isobel Crawley, in Downton Abbey.

Tomereader1

Hello, All.  I am back in here, with no thanks to whatever powers that be.  I no longer get any notifications in any of the forums I used to participate in. Don't know why that is, because I am signed in to the site.  Any, as far as cooking shows, they all start out pretty good, then something, who knows what, happens and they change. I used to love Rachel Ray, but she has turned into little more than a talk show!  Cooking now takes a back seat. I guess I still like Jamie Oliver.  He cooks with speed and ingredients that you either have on hand, or can get at any grocery store.  Same goes with Giada, I enjoyed her for a bit, but she got to where it seemed like she was more into showing us her cleavage (obviously manufactured, not natural, LOL). Still with the "food posts", I have used The Schwans folks a bit, but the prices just kept going up, they instituted a $1.75 delivery charge, unless you purchased $50+.  Most items were no longer in my $$$budget.  Figure with a bit of work, I could make the same things myself.  I am 80 and still cook a little, not as much as when I still had my hubby. 
As far as movies, Netflix & others, I watched "The Highwaymen" and I, too, gave it a thumbs up! I watched one episode of Mrs. Wilson, the other is DVR'd.
Someone please tell me, if you can, how I can once again get notifications about posts?  Marilyne, so glad to see you here.  Even tho' I'm the one who has been "gone".

Tomereader1

As to chef-centered, high end restaurants, my best friend got taken out to dinner on Monday. She ordered spaghetti/meatballs and it cost $28.  She didn't mention how big or small the plate was. I was glad for her that her hosts were paying! For me, $28 will get me the "Ultimate Feast" at Red Lobster!!! My fave!

JeanneP

I dont think the Swann Food is good anymore and yes,like you say,so expensive.I still cook a lot and always make for 4 meals even though live alone. Eat one, one next day lunch and freeze 2. Grocery shopping my favourite thing to do. All close to me and all will take your list on line, fill and deliver it to you. That is the way to go if you don't get to store. Many people i know are now doing it. specially winter or rainy days. Give it a try.
JeanneP

Lindancer

Good afternoon Hope I do not lose this post. Just home from the hospital and getting courtup.  Late last night when I could not sleep, I watched and old John Wayne movie the Barbarian and the Geshie.  I enjoyed it

maryc

Linedancer.....UH-OH  sorry to hear of your hospital visit.   Hope all is better for you now. 
JeanneP,   I like your way of cooking  a meal to enjoy for more than once.  It just my style.  When I cook a real meal,  I usually share with my neighbor and sometimes my daughter and plan on having at least one more meal for myself later.   Sometimes that turns out to be two. ;)   I suppose it's easier because it is more like the "family cooking" that I have been accustomed to doing.
Tomereader,   I don't get notifications in my email anymore either.   Something changed. 

I hadn't been much for watching TV since Al was gone but Debby gave me a Firestick for Christmas and I've watched quite a few movies this winter.    Recently I've been watching The Last Tango in Halifax.   The characters are good.   When I find a good series,  I like it because I can go back there again and again and watch one or more episodes as I have the time but don't have to search for a new movie each time.   I really like those that include older characters.
Mary C

Marilyne

Gloria de - Good to hear you're out of the hospital, and back home again!  I'm so glad that your nephew is returning, and will be staying with you!  We watch the old John Wayne movies on TCM too.  I'll look for The Barbarian and the Geisha.

Maryc - Does the Firestick allow you to see shows or movies that are playing on Netflix?  If so, you might enjoy watching The Kominsky Method.  It's a series of 6 episodes, starring Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin.  It's a comedy/drama, about the many different problems faced by older folks.  Some light and funny, and others very serious.  Arkin, is my age (born in 1934), and Douglas is in his early 70's. There are other older actors in this show, besides those two.

We've been watching the Academy Award winning movies from last year.  So far we've seen Green Book, Bohemian Rhapsody, and The Old Man and The Gun (starring Robert Redford.). We have A Star is Born, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet.  I discovered that you can check out these brand new movies from the library . . . Free!

JeanneP

Masterpiece theatre has great new shows now on Sunday's from 7pm to 10 pm. New seasons started
JeanneP

Marilyne

We watched the newest version of, A Star is Born, and I sure do have mixed feelings about it.  The three main actors all did a wonderful job, and were worthy of their Oscar nominations.  However, none of the three got the award.
It was an extremely depressing and hopeless story. Ordinarily, I like a good "tearjerker", but this one was just too sad, even for me.  The movie has been made three times in the past - once in the 1930's, then in the 1940's, starring Judy Garland, and again in the 1980's, with Barbra Streisand & Kris Kristofferson.  If anyone has seen this new version with Lady Gaga and Bradley Cooper, I would love to know what you thought of it?

FlaJean

Watched "on the Basis of Sex" about the young Ruth Bader Ginsburg.  Apple gives you two days rental so we watched it twice.  It was really good.  I didn't realize she went to Harvard Law after she was married and had a baby at the same time her husband was attending Harvard Law.  When he almost died and went into cancer treatment, she attended his classes as well as her own and helped him graduate.  He had a 5% chance of surviving his cancer but lived and died just in 2010.  It dramatized in the end of the movie her first attempt at arguing a case for the 10th Appellate Court.  What an amazing woman and what an amazing marriage.

Tomereader1

Yesterday my daughter and I had a "spy story"/Robert Redford marathon.  I had rented Three Days of the Condor (that movie is hard to find; I thought I had a DVD but couldn't find it) and "Sneakers".  Both are fun movies, Sneakers if very light entertainment, Condor is a deadly serious spy story.  I have been running my DVR player practically all day.  One channel has "Jesus, His Life" which has several episodes and I only caught the first one before I knew there were others upcoming.  Then there is Masterpiece, Les Miserables (not the musical). Followed by a British mystery I like, plus two other shows really late tonight (tomorrow morning actually).  I will have plenty of Bingeing to do.  Been reading the messages, and seems like most here had a good Easter/Passover.

Marilyne

Hi Tome - Looks like you and your daughter had a nice DVR weekend.  :D   Just point me in the direction of a Robert Redford movie, and I'm a happy camper!  Most of his films are very good, whether a serious drama, or a light comedy.  We watched his latest - The Old Man and the Gun, last week, and thought it was very good.  It's based on a true story of a compulsive bank robber, who served time in prison again and again, and every time he was released he went back to his old habit. The title is misleading, as there is no violence in the movie at all.  It's not my favorite RR film, but it was okay.  His co-star was Sissy Spacek.

Jean - The Ruth Bader Ginsburg, movie sounds very good.  I wonder why I've never heard of it until now?  Seems like the only movies that I know about are the ones that are nominated for an AA, of some kind.  There is another true story that was nominated this year.  It's about a woman newspaper reporter, and is titled A Private War.  The actress who is the star, was nominated for Best Actress, but didn't win.  I can't remember her name?

FlaJean

Marilyne, our youngest daughter and husband were over yesterday and she was giving us a few movies they have seen lately and thought we would like.

1.  "Temple Gradin" starring Clair Danes.  She said it is a true story and excellent."This is mostly Danes's film, but the whole cast is top-notch, especially Ormond, Catherine O'Hara as Temple's aunt, and David Strathairn as one of the few teachers who saw Grandin's potential. Captivating, compelling, and thoroughly entertaining, Temple Grandin is highly recommended. --Sam Graham"
2.  "Green Book"  she said this was also good.  True story also.

I'll add your movie suggestion to my list.

SCFSue

I went to see the Ruth Bader Ginsberg film with my friend Bonney not too long ago.  She is an amazing woman who really paved the way for other brilliant female lawyers.  If you have not seen this movie, I highly recommend it!

SCFSue