Random Image

flag

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:03:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

in an NPR article dated March 6, 2018,"Florida's Long-Lost Wild Flamingos Were Hiding in Plain Sight", Audubon research scientists discovered that Flamingos are breeding and living in Florida Bay.  It had been thought previously that the flamingos were not local Florida birds.  BUT they are!  However, mostly the Internet hasn't caught up with that knowledge yet.

https://vimeo.com/354302163

Shirley

Such fun photos and variety of vacation spots, Bubble. I am always amazed how easy it is to travel between countries of Europe & the East/ Mediterrian, much like we go from state to state in the U.S. It is also so neat to see that the young, like Aviv and my great grandson, Jace, share the same interests.

Jean, I clicked your link & just have to tell you about our "wayward" flamingo that escaped from the Wichita zoo years ago & has been tracked for many years to a place in Texas. https://www.kansas.com/news/state/article230880504.html  Guess it got tired of the zoo, storms & winters. I think it was decided that it traveled with some migrating birds, but doubt if flamingos. Wildlife is fascinating, I am never bored out camping. Thanks for the video.

FlaJean

Who knows maybe they're even visiting South Florida.  That was an interesting article.

so_P_bubble

Now for a change of location.
Every Wednesday, one of the pedestrian streets in town becomes a flowers and second hand market. It is quite fun to stroll amid the different stalls, as Don can attest.
Shall we do that together?

02.jpg

01.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

so_P_bubble

x On other days this street becomes a sitting area for all the cafes lining on both sides.

08.jpg

09.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

so_P_bubble

so_P_bubble

And now for the flowers. I can never resist buying some for my balcony.

22.jpg

24.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

so_P_bubble

Amy

Bubble ,enjoyed your photos . I would love to meander amongst all this too. What type of flowers did you give a new home to?
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Shirley

What fun photos, Bubble!  I have not seen a good "sidewalk sale" in years around here. Used to be my favorite thing to do. When we lived in Marlow (England) they had one every Thursday, had vendors from London (I was told) that came. I bought enough Harris tweed one time to make myself a coat & matching one for my then one year old little girl, & a skirt for her. I gave the coat to my mother when we got back & she wore it for a long time, had a pretty lining but was light weight & warm. I gave the coat & skirt to my daughter when HER daughter was that size. Few years ago I Googled & found that fabric still shown on the Harris Tweed site...only been 60+ years ago!

You are looking good, pretty sweater, looks soft, what fabric is that? Wish I could go up & down that street with you, customs would be busy checking my bags out! dream on..........

Goodness, I've sat here & day dreamed away more than an hour & half.... better get moving. My little red haired great gr-daughter's 6th birthday party is today. Both sets of grandparents share taking care of her & her little brother. They are the only grands on either side, & all showed up to watch her get on the school bus for her first day. I'll see if I can post some photos of the party. Thanks for the photos & memory boosters!

so_P_bubble

Amy, I bought two kinds of petunia and two colors of geranium. They flowers for a very long time. I also got a small cactus: I love them near my desk.

Shirley, Harris tweed... Memories! When I was in college in London, I bought some lovely brown/tan tweed and made myself a  kilt with matching scarf with the surplus material. Years later, when it got too tight, I changed it to a sarafan (pinafore?) adding the scarf to the bottom to have enough length. I wore it for years and years.

That is not a sweater but a very light - almost transparent- cotton shirt that I wear to protect my arms in the sun. My apartment is some distance from that pedestrian street and almost no shade on the way. Thankfully my carer does not complain about pushing me in the sun, but I try not to request it around noon.

I hope you enjoy the birthday party.  Don't hesitate if you need help for the party photos.

Mary Ann

Bubble, I also enjoyed the pictures of the pedestrian flower and flea market.  We used to have a "nothing" mall near us and a couple times of year there would be an antique show.  I loved to wander through the displays, especially seeing things I was still using and not considering them as antiques! 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

I love those street markets.  We had one in Ocala on Friday evenings during the fall and winter when the weather is so nice.  We had lots of snowbirds in the fall and winter from the north and more people to go to things like that in a small town.

Mary Ann

Jean, oddball that I am - there are garage and yard sales around here most of the year, but I don't go to any of them.  For one thing, I don't need anything.  But when I would visit Norm and Dot in Florida, we would go to nearby sales every weekend I was there.  Dot usually had something she was looking for and seldom found it, but I would look for pretty little dishes, costing usually 25c, maybe up to 50c.  Those would fit in my suitcase or carry-on (still possible in those days).  I think I have most of what I bought when there.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

More wonderful photos. Loved the flowers, wonder about the statues of the guys pushing a wheel (reminds me of Sisyphus), and of course, I had to spend some time at the book table. Looks like you were enjoying yourself Bubble. So do Illy and Aviv. What a wonderful vacation they are having.

so_P_bubble

Quote from: MarsGal on August 18, 2019, 07:08:38 AMMore wonderful photos. Loved the flowers, wonder about the statues of the guys pushing a wheel (reminds me of Sisyphus), and of course, I had to spend some time at the book table. Looks like you were enjoying yourself Bubble. So do Illy and Aviv. What a wonderful vacation they are having.

Almost all the books are in Russian. Would you be able to read? I stopped looking at this one.

JeanneP

Great photos Bubble
How I miss the markets  in u.k. Nothing to match them here. Same market places still going in same areas in my home town that we're going 200 years ago.
Daughter is having a good trip. Now did she live in Europe at one time as she seems to have many friends scattered around. Amazing how easy now to travel around . I remember when had to stop at each border. I have one old passport showing the stamps.
Mind you ,i think it was a safer way back then. Should still be using passports . Not just on first entry.
JeanneP

MarsGal

No, I don't read Russian, Bubble, but that doesn't stop me from checking out the covers.

so_P_bubble

Today my "travelers" will go and visit the little mermaid in Copenhagen.

The-Little-Mermaid1.jpg

Mary Ann

Bubble, when I was in Copenhagen, I saw the Little Mermaid. 

I think a couple of times in recent years, she has had her head cut off! 

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

Last photos in Sweden

Travel in Sweden village
Luna Park Sweden
Luna Park Sweden.jpg

so_P_bubble

Train station Sweden to Danemark

Train station Sweden to Danemark.jpg

Changing of the guards - the Queen's Palace
Queen's Palace - Denmark.jpg

Statue in Copenhagen
Statue Danemark.jpg

Mary Ann

Bubble, I recognized the changing of the guard at the palace in Copenhagen.  I was having trouble seeing because of the height of others and someone pushed me in front of the crowd so I could see - and photograph.  We had a car so took the ferry from Bornholm Island to Malmo Sweden, drove to a port to take another ferry to Denmark.  I don't remember the names of the cities, but the Danish city name started with K-- and involved Hamlet.  The Swedish city was just across the water and I think also began with the letter K--.  After 19 years, the memory leaves us, doesn't it?  The pictures do bring back memories, just not names!

I'm so glad Illy and Aviv are having such a good time and seeing so much. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

What a wonderfull vacation filled with  experiences they will never forget! How lucky they've been!

Shirley

And I've enjoyed every photo shared! Thanks to you, Bubble, & your generous family. I've never seen any of those places. 

My photo taking is not doing well, but I switched SD cards in the camera & hoping for better. Seem to be going from the wee hours in the morning to late night, but spinning my wheels. I've cooked a lot this week & debating whether to deliver some
food to my gr-daughter's family, her husband was sick again. Don't think anything serious but been fairly often not up to par.

I got my freezer defrosted yesterday & discovered way too much stuff out of date so will go down to the river critters (those fox & coyotes, raccoons & opossum will eat anything). I will keep in the frig & take a little at a time. Only thing I've ever taken down that was refused by everything, was a box of cherry tomatoes. I thought the birds would enjoy them but they lay on that sand until they dried up & blew away. They didn't taste right to me so maybe there was something wrong about them, you think?  The catfish & carp that come when I whistle are back, love watching them flip & flop chasing the bread in the water. I figure what a loaf of the cheapest bread costs is not much to spend on "entertainment". 

Bubble, I will snag a few photos of the birthday party & send you, at this rate the kids will be in their teens before I get them resized! 

Vanilla-Jackie

Bubble, do you know if the Queen, Margrethe of Denmark was in her residence at the time..they usually have two or three residences depending on the months of the year...

The mermaid looks a lost soul...

Loved the photo of mother and son cuddling the statue..
" There is no present like the time "

so_P_bubble

No idea Jackie, they did not say.

so_P_bubble

For JaneS

image1.jpg

image2.jpg

EMMA'S first day at preschool!  She's growing up too fast!

Vanilla-Jackie

bubble...
...it just adds to the excitement if young children know the King or Queen is actually there..

Jane S - Bubble...now the innocence and smile of a young child starting out their life will always bring a smile...Jane, you know what Emma is saying...." look at me, I am a big girl now..."
" There is no present like the time "

so_P_bubble

Jackie, I think Aviv couldn't care less if the Queen was there or not. Now if a dragon, or better, a dinosaur was found there, now that would be something else  ;D