Random Image

Curtis-Palmer Dam

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:46:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Math Problem

Started by so_P_bubble, April 06, 2024, 04:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

so_P_bubble

Here is a new math game proposed by Donklan. 

There has been a math riddle being shared on Facebook that is a type of fruit math problem and it's being shared like WILDFIRE.  Some are calling it "fruit algebra" while others are just calling it the "fruit math problem" and it's driving them nuts!

So, have a good and careful look at the question. let's see if you can figure it out, then PM or email your answer. 

so_P_bubble

SOLUTION:

For simplicity, we'll address an apple as X. So...

X+X+X=30, or we can simply this to...
3X=30.  Divide both sides by 3 to get...
X=10.

Line 2
We'll notate Bananas as Y's. Remember that we found that the apple is already 10.  So we have...

10 + Y + Y=18.  Subtract 10 from both sides to get...
Y+Y=8.  Simplify the equation to get...
2Y=8.  Solve for Y by dividing each side by 2 to get...
Y=4.  Therefore the bananas equal 4.

Line 3
We know the bananas are 4 already, and lets say the coconuts can be unknown Z.  The equation will look like:

4 – Z = 2.  Subtract 4 from both sides to get...
-Z=-2. Multiply both sides by -1 to get...
 Z=2

Line 4
Now many people will try to solve it like 2+10+4 = 16

HOWEVER, the coconut is a different picture!  It's only one half the coconut and not two halves.

So if we know that 2 halves of the coconuts equals 2, then 1 half equals 1.

So now we can finally solve it, right? and we get 15?

Bet you didn't look close at the bananas! WHAT?! Because the bananas are a different image too!  Instead of seeing 4 bananas in the cluster, we only see 3 bananas (Some still argue they see 4).   Since the original cluster of 4 bananas equaled 4. That means that each banana is worth 1.  This group of 3 bananas equals 3.

So... Finally... we can solve: 1 + 10 + 3 = 14.  And the fruit math problem is finally solved.

so_P_bubble

I received 3 replies for this game
Amy said 14, Patricia and Rammel said 16.
Amy, you are the winner.  Well done!

Thank you Donklan for proposing this challenge.

Amy

Thank you Donklan, that was interesting!!
Thank you Bubble for posting it.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

I agree, an interesting puzzle and kudos to Amy and her sharper eyes!

And thanks to Donklan for proposing it and Bubble for printing the puzzle

Amy

Patricia, did you notice that one banana and half a coconut was missing? Maybe Rick snuck in and made a coconut banana cream pie from them!!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

RAMMEL

I took it as a straight math problem, not a trick question.  It's also possible that one or more of those bananas are plastic, and not to be counted as bananas. Or --- Oh, never mind.   However --- about those missing "pieces". I plead innocent. --------- But I'll look around.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

patricia19

Quote from: RAMMEL on April 09, 2024, 01:23:19 PMI took it as a straight math problem, not a trick question.  It's also possible that one or more of those bananas are plastic, and not to be counted as bananas. Or --- Oh, never mind.   However --- about those missing "pieces". I plead innocent. --------- But I'll look around.

What he said...

Amy

Jimmy Dean