Random Image

Optimism

Owner: phyllis
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:27:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Pets

Started by so_P_bubble, July 28, 2018, 12:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

angelface555

On a brighter note, the foster family was out today for their snips, due back around five, Western Washington time and then everyone's adoption is scheduled for December first.

so_P_bubble

That would be a Christmas present in some families

Marilyne

That's my daughter Sandy . . . I don't have a sister! LOL!  Anyway, Thank you Patricia. :)  I've been struggling to post this photo all morning, and finally asked Patricia for help.

Anyway the story behind the photo, is that Sandy was visiting a friend this  weekend, who had just adopted this Labrador retriever puppy. She posted the picture on Facebook, and I dragged it onto my desktop.  We thought it was funny, because Sandy is wearing a black jacket, so the puppy blends right in and is almost undetectable!  We called the picture, "Where's Waldo"!

angelface555

A photo of Marilyne's daughter, ( not sister, sorry!); and a puppy.

angelface555

Marilyne, Sandy and the "Where's Waldo?" puppy photo is my first photo post with the new regime. I don't know why I was thinking sister, but I'm glad to have actually, (almost!); figured out how to post!

Marilyne

Thank you Patricia! It looks a little blurry, but better than nothing!  I hope that we can soon post photos directly from our desktop, as Michael indicated that we could?

angelface555

Sorry, its blurry because I had to enlarge it from a thumbnail to post. You could use the desktop or a folder, but you probably need a photo app for processing. There are some out there from free to expensive but other than simple cosmetics there needs to be re-size and compressing and that has been my issue with this new style!

Mary Ann

Thanks, Patricia, for revising, resizing, etc, Marilyn's picture.  The first posting, even when I clicked on it and enlarged it slightly, was too small.  I did not know what kind of dog it was, let alone color, and with Sandy's blond hair, I could not see the dog at all. 

Now I know, it's a cute little pup because I can see it.

Mary Ann

angelface555

The fosters are going up for adoption now that they've all got their snips!  "Adoption Apps are being accepted!

To submit an application, download the Pre-Adoption Questionnaire ( click: https://goo.gl/g6qHf8 ) to your computer and open it from there, this will let you edit the document. Then type up a letter to go with it to let us know more about you & your home such as other pets & people. List which kittens you're interested in and others in the order you'd like - if you put down one kitten but you wouldn't mind others, put them too in case your primary choice is taken. When done, email them to susanb@purrfectpals.org

The adoption event will be at the Sammamish PetCo at 10 am on Saturday, December 1st.

Please do not hesitate in submitting your application & letter. I can't stress this enough. Matches start getting made as the apps are received with final choices made after the deadline on Friday at Noon.

Any who do not have a pre-adopt by the deadline will be available on a first come-first served basis at the adoption event.

Apps are accepted from residences in Washington State only. This is because once a Purrfect Pals cat, always a Purrfect Pals cat. If a PP cat shows up at a shelter anywhere, a PP volunteer will go get them and bring them back. This restriction is to help limit the distance needed to be traveled by the cat & volunteer. If you are not in Washington State, please look into adopting a foster kitten from your area to support rescues in your area."   

angelface555

Tomorrow at 11 AM, all four fosters will be at the adoption site. Niffler, the tabby male and Occamy, the female Lilac mix Siamese have been preadopted. Mom Seraphina and Billywig, the male Lilac mix kitten will be first come first served.

Then they will start over again, awaiting the next foster or group of fosters.

angelface555

Now that everyone has been adopted, here is a wrapup for the Fantasical Kittens;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA-MooGE5HI

Marilyne

Patricia - Isn't that a wonderful story about the Camp Fire dog!  It's been on our local TV news broadcasts the past couple of days, and I never get tired of watching that beautiful dog, standing guard at the burned out ruins of his former home.  The news story shows his owner the woman (property owner) and her daughter, driving up and greeting that dear dog.  It brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.

angelface555

I agree! Animals don't give up on us, we often give up on them!

angelface555

10 weird cat behaviors

https://www.thesprucepets.com/weird-cat-behaviors-explained-553972?utm_campaign=petsl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=15404846&utm_term=petsbanner

It's generalized but it does have a few answers. For example, it says a cat likes you if it presents it's butt to you with tail up. A more realistic answer is cats are driven by scents and the cat is saying I don't mind you if you check to see how I am. A form of hello for cats.

angelface555

"Many chemicals can be harmful to dogs if they are ingested, inhaled, or make contact with skin. In some cases, chemicals can enter the bloodstream and affect major organs. Certain chemicals may be considered safe for humans but can still harm dogs."

https://www.thesprucepets.com/household-items-toxic-to-dogs-1118530?utm_campaign=petsl&utm_medium=email&utm_source=cn_nl&utm_content=15451884&utm_term=petsbanner

Marilyne

Patricia - Interesting article on the many things that can be harmful to dogs and cats.  The only experience I ever had with such a thing, was many years ago, (40 years plus?), when I sprinkled small piles of Corry's snail bait, around all the plants in our big back yard.  It wasn't pellets, but a loose substance, kind of like fine sawdust. The following morning I went out, expecting to see lots of dead snails, but I saw none, and the piles of sawdust were gone . . . not a trace!  Long story short, our Springer Spaniel, Heidi, had consumed every pile right down to the bare dirt! 

Because she had been inside the house all night, I knew that it had been at least 15 hours since she had eaten it. I called the vet, and they told me there was no point in bringing her in because it had been too long to do anything about it. Anyway, she was fine, and never showed any signs of illness.  In the years since, that particular Corry's snail bait is no longer available, because it was considered to be too toxic.

angelface555

Marilyne, I have seen so many tragedies due simply to pride and ignorance when feeding pets food such as grapes or chocolate due to the mistaken belief that it really isn't harmful or such and such animal ate it for years with no, (known); effect. For example, a woman fed her cat aspirin because she thought the cat had a cold. As aspirin is highly toxic to cats and dogs, the cat died. She stated she'd given her dog aspirin with no effect. She brought in her dog who was surrendered because of the expensive need to flush his blood after medical tests showed severe toxicity.

Another poison is antifreeze which dogs like the taste. Or those green citronella mosquito coils that are poisonous to dogs, cats, birds and small animals by smell, vapor or taste/touch. Or a substance such as certain herbs or plants such as peas, beans, and tomatoes. Certain bath oil products contain herbs that are highly toxic.

A woman used one bath oil featuring dried herbs in the clear bottle. Her cat drank the bath oil, convulsed and died within moments. That carpet sprinkles you later vacuum up have repeatedly shown as toxic to cats, dogs, birds, and small animals. Birds are particularly vulnerable to cooking smells.

Whenever I mop, I always lock my pet in another room until the floor has completely dried and I use a small chemical amount and rinse thoroughly. Pledge and spray on dusting aids are another toxic example. So many items and chemicals are toxic to animals, children and ourselves. If I hadn't personally known these folks who lost pets or read online when I wanted to foster, I wouldn't have been aware.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I am astounded as to what people give their pets, not only to eat, but to make them feel better.  I may be lucky that I don't use a lot of those products and I know I'm a messy housekeeper, but I have a cat that eats only kibble food and cat grass.  Directions for the grass said to not use regular fertilizer on the grass and I don't even put plant food there.  It's interesting to me that so often when there are pictures of cats, duplicates of Kendrick are often shown.  He doesn't know how popular his color is. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

While FDJ is  one of many fosters for Purrfect Pals, he has waiting periods at times because the program only accepts surrendered animals, or from an agency or shelter. That being said, he received notice that his 63rd. Litter will be ready at four, Washington state time;

"I'll be arriving with Sweetie Pie and her Tartlets sometime around 2-3 PM. The new Kitten Cam event on YouTube is active, and I'm working to start the broadcast before I depart. You can click on the "Watch Video" on the Page or visit www.TheCritterRoom.com to view the cam.

I currently don't have much information on them yet."   

angelface555

Last night, six very frightened black and white kittens and Mama arrived at FDJ's. They all suffered from an upper respiratory infection and were not socialized.

They will be receiving three meds twice daily along with socialization. The kittens are three boys and two girls, and at 12 weeks all are large cats. Last night they were very nervous, so FDJ turned down the lights and left them alone to become used to the room.

https://gaming.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXaA6mXxm4

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzXaA6mXxm4

Marilyne

Patricia, the cam is so still and quiet, that I thought it wasn't turned on.  I was trying to figure out how to activate to, when all of a sudden, one cute little tuxedo kitten sat up and stretched, and then went back to sleep.  I took a closer look, and located two others that were curled up and sleeping. I'll be watching, and hoping that FDJ can socialize every one of them. 

angelface555

Marilyne, on the bottom right of the cam is an icon that looks like a wide razor blade. Hovering over that shows four cams with different views you may click on.

Or if you subscribe, you will see all four separate cams shown for the Critter Room in your Youtube subscriptions. I am watching the eleven AM meds and naming of the kittens. So far, he has a male, Huckleberry, and a female Merengue, keeping with the tartlet theme.

Or you can watch and or subscribe to BrookIvy who posts videos of special FDJ moments, here https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJeQLIzkGjX8NdeDa0rZwTA

Here are the intake info, names, weights, of the family;

Sweetie Pie was being cared for by a kind man who reached out to Purrfect Pals for assistance. She is 1.5 years old and the kittens were born on September 24th. There are two female kittens and three males. Huckleberry (M): White front toes, back knee socks/boots, white bib, black face, white chin. 3.14lb

Rhubarb (M): White front toes, short back socks, black face, white belly but less than Huck. 3.0lb Peach (F): Four white toes, white stripes on back legs, black face. 2.95lb Meringue (F): Lots of white on face and body, white stripe across base of tail. 2.73lb Apple (M): White nose, white flare, white shoes on front, white back legs. 3.3lb

Sweetie Pie, the mom, is the only one who isn't dealing with URI and is afraid of humans.  Apple is also still terrified.

Mary Ann

I saved one of the links Patricia showed and watched for some time.  I also deleted a link to the old site.  I thought the first cat was Sweetie Pie because I thought she was larger than the other cats who came out one by one.  She had fun with some of the toys. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

5 ways to help pets celebrate the holidays from Cooking Light;
 "Skip Table Scraps 'Bones, onions, garlic, chocolate, raisins, alcohol, and nuts are prominent holiday foods but also some of the most toxic for pets," says Caitie Steffen, a former veterinary technician, and product manager for Whistle, a company that makes wireless pet trackers. "It's tempting to share with your pets, but it's not worth the risk."'

Food doesn't have to be poisonous to be problematic. "The bigger issue is tummy upset because they ate something too high in fat or heavily seasoned," Richter says. Even when people resist the urge to give handouts, opportunistic counter surfers and Dumpster divers can still get into off-limits food. Empty the trash frequently and keep countertops as clear as possible.

Plan Other Smart Treats
It's OK to share some holiday fare with pets. "Roasted white meat turkey—there's no reason why a dog or cat can't have a little, minus the skin," Richter says. Add some unseasoned steamed vegetables, boiled potatoes, or sweet potatoes, and "you've got something that looks a lot like a holiday dinner," says Richter. "That stuff is generally fine for most animals—in moderation."

Manage Stress
The holidays can bring visitors to your home and make animals anxious. Maintain pets' routine as much as possible, Richter advises. Keep up regular walks with your dog, don't change up mealtimes, and spend one-on-one time with pets. Entertaining? "Make sure pets have a safe space that guests don't have access to," says Richter.

Beware of Decorations
The Christmas tree is a common hazard for pets on several levels. Curious animals can tip the tree over. Ingesting pine needles and sap, including sipping water in the stand, can cause gastrointestinal problems. Mistletoe, holly, lilies, and poinsettias are holiday plants that can cause an upset stomach or even more serious complications. Keep them out of paws' reach, or, when in doubt, go faux.

angelface555

MarsGal

Meowy Christmas from Lucy, Oscar and Shan! and me!