Random Image

Fe in her Mexican Dress

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:27:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

The lettuce situation is really troublesome! Who would be brave enough to order a salad in a restaurant?  I know I wouldn't, and I don't want to have any of the salad greens around the house either.  This was also an issue for Thanksgiving, so I made a salad with no lettuce of any kind - just a mix of fresh and frozen veggies with a garbanzo bean base. 

Mary Ann - tonight I watched a show on HGTV, called Beach Hunters. It featured a couple that were buying a house in Holland, right on Lake Michigan.  It's the second time they've done a show there, and I really enjoy seeing the lake and the beaches and the city.  I always think of you, knowing that your family is there. 

I meant to mention that late last night, I clicked on The Soo, and saw a large boat coming from the locks and out toward the lake.  It was very dark there, so I couldn't see the name, but when I looked at the Marine Map, it showed  Edwin Gott, so I'm pretty sure that was the one. It's scheduled at either Duluth or Two Harbors tomorrow I think.  I'll have to double check.   

Vanilla-Jackie

Richard has just this minute left ( 7.15am ) to go for his 8.am Colonoscopy hospital appointment...I couldn't take him as he now has a manual car from his previous company, I can only drive automatic, and this time round that was all they could offer him in his chosen make of car until his next car order....Not that I have driven for the last few years since my MS diagnoses anyway, although I have been granted the next three years to legally drive in my condition...He only woke up half hour before leaving and looked like a little boy lost, I know deep down he is worried but he is such a private and distant person, doesn't listen and does things his way, he knows best...I kept asking if he had taken the meds this morning that he is allowed to take, the meds he must take with him, whether he had his hospital paperwork ready, he said yes but still he walked out the back door, then returned saying, " my paperwork .." I said where is it,  envelope on the kitchen table he said..I know he is worried but doesn't make a fuss like I do...Strange really as our neighbour opposite had his Colonoscopy procedure last Friday....
" There is no present like the time "

Vanilla-Jackie

Richards just phoned 9.50am, says hes on his way, I said haven't you reached there yet, he said I am on my way home, I said wow, is it done already, he said yes, he sure sounded bubbly so I am assuming they haven't found anything to worry about, said I can have my breakfast now when I get home...of course he only had poached eggs 24 hours ago, and that was all..Think later he will enjoy a slap up dinner...

Edited to add:  his report did say no cancer, no polyps but they did find Angiodysplasia which could account for his anaemia- blood loss..." It is a common cause of otherwise unexplained gastrointestinal bleeding and anemia..."
...but no further action from them is required

Joy

Good Monday morning.  It is still cold, but looks like the sun is coming out.

I have been awake since about 2 a.m.  I laid there for a while and decided I could get a few things done if I got up.  I got some Christmas mail with some checks ready to go out in the mail today.   Bundled up a bunch of catalogs and went through a pile of junk mail and have a few things to shred.  I usually either cut my name and address off or just black it out with a Magic Marker.  Will do some shredding later.  Didn't want to run the shredder during the night.

I did get to the Amish Farmers Market on Saturday.  So much good stuff to look at. I did buy some pastries to take to a little tea we are having here on TUES.  Got some Christmas candy for the little ones and a couple other things for gifts. It was a terrible rainy, chilly day, so I was glad to be inside.  The rain had lighten up a lot on the way home.  Sunday, I got to Walmart to get a few gift cards and a few other little things.  Was back home in about an hour.

Today, I am  getting my hair done and if I am done in time, I will go to the exercise class.  By that time, I will need a nap.  It is surprising that I am not falling asleep sitting here. I have to clean up my breakfast dishes and then get dressed.

Jackie, I am so glad to read that Richard had a good report from his doctor. Hope that the Problem causing the anemia can be a quick fix.  I know you are relieved and I sure hope that he is.  It always a good feeling when you get a good report from medical tests.

Have a good day.

Joy 
BIG BOX

MarsGal

Patricia, I got brainy and checked to see if there was a schedule for the CP Christmas Train. Looks like we just missed any live viewings as the US schedule ran from Nov. 25 to Dec. 16. It began in Montreal and ended in Weyburn, Saskatchewan. Those in Canada can still see it today and tomorrow. This is the main page website: https://www.cpr.ca/holiday-train/united-states Click on "Full Schedule" at the right of the schedule to see a map of the train routes. There are two trains, according to the website.

Mary Ann

]MarsGal, I did enjoy the CP Holiday Train.  In 1966 I took a tour of the Canadian Rockies and rode on CP trains plus a bus.  One of the most enjoyable and scenic trips.

Annie just left, after bringing our breakfasts.  She brought me a cranberry muffin and she brought Tom pancakes along with beverages for both - from Mc D's.  She's a good girl and listening to her talk with her dad, she is maturing nicely.  She'll be 23 in January.  I gave her the Christmas pictures and her Christmas gift (check).  The cat always enjoys her visits because she brushes him and sprinkles catnip in his bed.

Joy, I wish we had an Amish store here, but at present I probably would not be able to go to it.  But it would be nice to think about.  Shipshewanna IN is too far.  When I've been there, I have bought both fabric and yarn; fantastic assortment.

Jackie, I am happy Richard had such a good report.  I'll bet he is relieved. 

Marilyn, I found House Hunters the other day/night??? and passed on by.  It could have been the same one you watched in Holland.  I don't know a lot about locations in Holland; I could have gotten to James' previous location, but they have moved and I'd need a GPS to get there.  Tom knows how to get there, but does use his GPS on his phone.  If I looked at a map of the area, I probably could get there OK. 

Marilyn, you were very creative with your Thanksgiving salad.  I probably would have made a fruit salad or a jello salad.  Tom sometimes buys baby spinach and I use that with my sandwiches to get some "green" stuff.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Jackie - I'm happy for Richard, that his colonoscopy turned out to show no cancer or polyps.  Whatever this is that is causing the anemia, it will probably be dealt with by his doctor. Colonoscopies are a constant nagging worry until they are done with . . . but such a relief when you are declared to be okay! I'm surprised that they let him drive himself, when he was finished.  We have to have someone with us to wait and do the driving home.  If there is no one to drive, the patient has to take an Uber, Taxi, etc. 

Mary Ann - The area in Holland where this couple was looking, was right along the beach, but set up on high ground, so they had sweeping views of the lake, and a rather steep walk down to the water.  The homes were in the $800 to $900,000 range, which is what I think they paid?  They were a couple in their 50's, I would guess, because their children were high school or older.

Vanilla-Jackie

Marilyne...
...yes even I was expecting them to keep him in, send him to a recovery room before letting him drive home, similar to when I had my Hysteroscopy but, I was put under general aesthetic Richard wasn't, he was just offered air - oxygen mask...Whether this was normal procedure or because he suffers COPD breathing problems, but that was all he said they done...

Mary Ann

Marilyn, where there are homes all along Lake Michigan, they are expensive.  I can tell you right now that James and Alicia do not live near the lake!!!  The De Vos family (Betsy is Secy of Education for Trump) has large acreage just south of the State Park.  Tom has a marker on his license plate to allow him to go into any State Park in Michigan. 

We used to go to Grand Haven because it was closer than Holland, although in later years I've gone to Holland.  The lighthouse there (Big Red) is well known.  I was doing a jigsaw puzzle one day and discovered it was Big Red. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann, the couple I saw on HGTV, buying a house in Holland, must now be living close to the De Vos family!  The house that they purchased, was bordered on the right side by a tall chain-link fence, that separated their property from the State Park. 

Usually when the couple, or person buying the house introduces themselves, they both say their first names, and where they work. In this case, they didn't say where they worked. This HGTV show is called Beach Hunters, in case you ever ever get a chance to see it.  There are others like it called, Lake Front Living, and Beach Front Bargain Hunt. Those three, and Island Living, are my favorites, because I would love to live right on the water. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, those houses on the dunes at Lake Michigan are in precarious spots.  Those dunes move, especially on windy days.  There have been cases in previous years and not too long ago, where the sand enveloped the houses.  It doesn't happen often, but it does eventually cover the house.  The De Voses have enough money that they can try to hold the sand back with various means.  Living on our side of Lake Michigan gives the owners beautiful sunsets as they face the west.

I always said when I retired that I wanted to live on water.  I would have settled for a river, but I would have had to be high up because in rainy seasons, usually Spring, but also Fall, rivers rise.  Our Grand River floods each Spring with the thawing of ice.  I live on a pond so I guess that is the water I am living on since retirement!!!  I'm not going to move to get more water.  This pond rose quite high in September 1986 when we had rain every day of the month and if the water had risen another foot, it would have been at the edge of my patio.   And I am quite a bit higher than the pond.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is almost dark and so I am really late posting today.  I posted late yesterday so didn't have anything new to add this morning plus I was busy.  I did get my tire fixed shortly after lunch and they found there was a screw in the tire.  While I was at Costco I ate my lunch there.  After I left I went to a battery store to get a new battery put in Pat's watch.  This has been a delightful day with sun and it getting up to the mid-60s.

Patricia, glad to see my way of bookmarking these sites worked for you.  With all of these recalls of vegetables pretty soon there won't be many left that are safe.  I like raw cauliflower but not too fond of it when it is cooked.  At least ice berg lettuce hasn't been recalled yet. 

Marilyne, I think most of our produce comes from Florida in terms of greens and other vegetables.  I do know that some of these huge farms probably have nationwide distribution systems.  The Adams Farms must be suffering terrible financial losses from the recalls. It staggers my mind that people can pay eight or nine hundred thousand dollars for a home. 

Jackie, I bet Richard is happy that the test is over with good results.  Were they able to do anything for the blood loss or is that something that will occur in the future. 

Joy, my SIL gave me these ink rollers that are great for blacking out personal identification on documents and magazines although I don't usually black info on magazines or envelopes unless it is a credit card offer.  Glad you got to go to the Amish market and an hour in Walmart is a long time for me anymore.  It sounds like you are probably pretty well set for Christmas.  I think our shopping is now done and I just have to get things wrapped or in gift bags or boxes.

Mary Ann, glad that Annie was able to stop by and bring you a muffin.  I am sure it make the day for Kendrick.  She is reaching the age where the maturity should be showing.

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...nothing was mentioned but if anything is done it will probably be done by his- our GP once the hospital give her the same feedback, although Richard thinks they will just monitor his iron levels...she may contact him as I think now he has exhausted any further tests, apart from seeing a Cardiologist in February...and of course he is still awaiting his call up to go see a cataract removal Consultant which is now in its eighth month and now overdue...one of the busiest and lengthy NHS waiting lists...and this is just to see the Consultant, another lengthy wait to actually have them done unless one goes private, which he will probably do at a hefty expense.......

Mary Ann

Marilyn, you're probably getting a meal ready, but Paul is headed for the Soo, going to St Clair MI.  He/she is just west of the International Bridge.

Mary Ann

shirleyn

Hello everybody.  I sure got myself messed up when trying to change things around in here.  I just spent the last hour searching & going back & forth changing stuff.  I think I have it set up now.  Of course I will not receive a notice when there is a new post, but I will settle for checking in manually every day.

I am progressing with the chemo. Tomorrow (Tuesday) I go in for a one infusion treatment.  Then both Danny and I have our regular doctor appointments in the afternoon.  Which means another long day.

I am still doing good - although rather weak.  Just have to keep resting every hour or two.  But if this gets rid of the dreaded cancer - so be it.

We did enjoy the theatre last Saturday.  It was cute & funny and Christmassy.  Just right for the season.

And now it is getting close to midnight, so I will send this on its way & hope to write on Wednesday again.

shirleyn.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  I have gotten off my normal morning posting schedule here so will try to get back on schedule.  We have a beautiful clear sky day and there is no rain in the forecast.  We will get into the low 60's this afternoon.  I have only one thing on my to-do list for today and that is to meet a friend downtown at one of our banks to add my name to the bank account for a group.  I have agreed to be the Treasurer of the group for the next 3 years starting January 1st.  I have served as the Treasurer of several other groups and organizations over the years since I have been retired and know it is not a difficult job.  Yesterday in the mail we got the bill for the heat pump repair to the tune of $825.  This was just for labor and 4 pounds of Freon. The parts they put in were still under the manufacturers warranty.

Jackie, I do hope Richard can get something done to improve his iron levels and deal with the anemia.  What a long wait to see the cataract removal consultant.  Here it took a few weeks to get in to see the eye doctor and then a two or three weeks to get on the surgery schedule for one eye and another month before the second eye had the cataract removed. 

Shirley, glad you now have things set up the way you want them.  Just a suggestion but something I use on occasion.  Do a quick edit of your message and copy the code at the beginning of the message and then email that code to yourself.  I use a little Notepad program that Goggle has called Keep and have a note set up with the coding I use here each day.  I don't like to recreate the wheel, so to speak.  You do not have to use the ending codes at the bottom of your message.  I hope this makes sense.  Anything I need to remember and access in the future I write down somewhere that I can easily access it.  It sounds like you have a full day of medical appointments today.  Glad to see you are still feeling good and hope it stays that way.  Glad you enjoyed the theater.  It has been several years now since Pat and I last went to a live theater performance but we always enjoyed them.

Mary Ann

Shirley, it's good to hear that you are feeling quite well yet.  I hope it continues.  Dot brought over some soup Sunday night and I ate part of it.  It was still hot and I just poured some soup from her container, not stirring it up.  If she told me what kind of soup it was, it went past me.  Last night for supper I ate the rest of it.  It was bean soup and I got all of the beans last night.  It was a good soup, but when I got up about 1:30 am, I could taste the beans.  When I first ate it Sunday, I had thought it was possibly potato soup because of the texture, so I was surprised to find all of the beans last night.

Tom is teaching today and will teach Friday.  Schools are on vacation starting next Monday for two weeks, ending the day after New Years Day.

Larry, it was kind of nice having messages from you late in the day, but I am sure your routine allows time in the morning instead.  I was treasurer of the condo association for a few years.  Things have gotten a lot more busy now because we are a much older complex and more things have to be done that require thought and money.

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning, It is a pretty sunny morning, but still cold.  Not quite as cold as a week or so ago, but still feels cold to me. 

Shirley, I am so glad that you are feeling well after your treatments. I hope you continue to do well. 

MaryAnn, nice that Annie brought you breakfast. Always nice when you don't have to fix something for yourself.

I, too, loved the video of the CP Holiday Train ride. I looked at the schedule and saw where there is a route through the US, also.  That would be lots of fun to be able to see it in person.  I always thought it would be a great trip to go by train across Canada.  Not going to happen now.  I did take the train from Baltimore to Florida one time.  It was a long ride, but I did enjoy myself. 

There is a little Holiday tea here today.  And, they are having a gift exchange, also. Been a long time since we have done that.  We have a new activity girl and she is working hard trying to come up with some new ideas, to get some of the new people involved.  Then, I will play cards tonight.  The tea is at 3 p.m. so that will probably serve as my dinner, and then I will eat something when I come back from the card game.

Larry, glad that you are feeling better and able to get back to doing the things you had been doing. I have pretty much got the new format working good for me.  I do use the way you said about putting the code in before I start my message.  Easy to do now.  I do feel bad for the ones who are still having problems.  I know it is hard for some people to deal with changes.  I think I have learned to accept changes for the most part.  I dread to think of all this new stuff that seems to be coming fast and furious. Especially with all the technical stuff. 

MaryAnn, funny story about your soup. I can imagine all the beans that would have been the bottom of the container. When I was at the Amish market on Sat. one of the vendors was selling an Oyster Pot Pie. I know, a lot of people do not like oysters, but I am one who does. I like raw oysters and fried oyster paddies. Just don't like Oyster stew, for some reason. But, I did buy one of the Pot Pies as it really looked so good and was quite heavy.  I was able to get three meals out of it.  However, even tho it was real tasty, I think whoever made this particular one really skimped on the oysters.  It was mostly potatoes, with very little pieces of oyster. And, it cost almost  $12.00, which I thought was a lot for the amount of oysters that were in it. I doubt it was more than 2 whole oysters from the size of the little pieces that were cut up in it. But, I did have it for 3 meals, so I guess it wasn't too bad.  I have made my own before, and the recipe I use calls for almost a pint of oysters and I didn't cut them up, either.  Will make my own next time. When I go back to that market, I will mention how disappointed I was with what I bought.

Nice to see Jane back with us. I know it is frustrating to being without the computer, but you sure can get things done that you keep putting off doing.

I guess I have rambled on enough for this morning. I need to get moving and get on with my day. I hope it is a nice day for all the friends here.

Joy

BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, my dad used to eat oysters and I don't know if they were raw or cooked.  I know they were in a broth and I liked the taste of the broth, but I didn't want to eat the oysters alone.  Jim would order fried oysters and I sampled his and liked them.  You said you got three meals out of your Oyster Pot Pie so that was $4 a meal - not bad regardless of the amount of oysters.

Your tea bring memories of long ago when groups would have a party and we'd take a gift suitable for anyone.  I hate to say my friends are all gone now, but they are.

Mary Ann

SCFSue

Shirleyn, did you know that we breast cancer survivors have a website here?  It's called Bosom Buddies.  Several of us have been survivors for more than 30 years.  We'd love to see you at the Bosom Buddy website.  Check out the forums and join us.

Sue

Mary Ann

I just saw something interesting at the Soo.  They show a boat on I-75.  That Interstate goes north to the Soo and that may be what is happening.  It isn't a large ship like the freighters and could be trailered north.  But it did surprise me to see the icon there.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Good Morning to everyone. The sun is shining, and the temperature is already 58 degrees, so looks like it's going to be one of those bright and warm Winter days.  It's been cold and rainy for the past week, so this is very nice.

Larry - I remember from last year, that our temps are similar to yours, during the Winter months, although you get a lot more rain, which we need.  Had a little over the past week, but mostly just off and on sprinkles. Not enough to even measure one inch here.  You mentioned your surprise at the houses I saw, that were selling for $800, to 900,000?  Those were in Michigan, along the lake shore.  If the same houses were here in California, they would sell for over $2,000,000!!  Not that they would be worth that much, but because there is a housing shortage here, and lots of rich young millionaires living in Silicon Valley.  Houses on the coast, overlooking the ocean, can sell for $5M plus!! 

Mary Ann and Joy - The only way I have ever had oysters, is the fancy raw kind called Oysters-on-the-half-shell, that are served as hors d'oeuvres at seafood restaurants and bars.  I am definitely not interested in eating raw fish, but many years ago we were with some friends in Santa Cruz, and they ordered a large plate of them. As you all probably know, you pick up the shell, and swallow the oyster whole. Goes well with a Martini, or a glass of white wine! :D       

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I have seen people eat oysters-on-the-shell and I'd have to have several glasses of wine or a martini (that was Norm's drink) before I'd eat one.  That way I'd be so out of it before I had the raw oyster that I wouldn't know what I was doing.

One lady from our complex just brought me a plate of cookies and Dot just called that she got a plate too.  Several women in the complex bake the cookies and the cookies are delivered to the "elderly" woman here, of which Dot and I are - elderly!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann, I'm sure I'd had a glass of wine before I agreed to try the raw oysters!  It was a long time ago, so I don't recall the details, but I do remember that it went down so fast that I didn't taste it.  Afterward, I was worried that I would get that allergic reaction to shellfish, that some people get. Of course I had been eating crab, shrimp and clams all my life and never had a reaction, but I had a sort of panicky feeling that the oysters were different because they were raw! :yikes:   Obviously, I was fine, but was never interested in trying them again.

That was nice of the lady in your complex, to bring you and Dot a plate of cookies. People don't do that sort of thing around here anymore, although it used to be commonplace at Christmas time.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, the cookies are from the Condo Association.  A few ladies bake the cookies and a couple deliver them to us old women (!).  I've received some several years but Dot said she had never received any.  This year I inquired about it and she got a plate.

Tom just got home from school, said he had a very good time with 6th graders.  I am so sorry he didn't go into teaching instead of the ministry.  He is very active in church and conducts a Bible study for men every Friday morning, but he has had good times in sub teaching. 

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. I am not seeing the sun here today and the forecast said it will be colder and in the next couple of days the rain and wind will return.  My friend will be here at 10 am to work with me for an hour.  Then this afternoon we will meet Scott at Ruby Tuesdays about 2:30 to have a meal together.  This will also be our main meal of the day.  Pat has a big toe that is bothering her once again and woke her up early this morning.  I did fix her breakfast as well as my own and am now ready for the rest of the day.  I did get the paperwork signed at the bank yesterday so I am ready to assume the Treasurer responsibilities at the end of this month for my Saturday group.

Mary Ann, your bean soup sounds good and beans are a source of good fiber in our diet.  We finished up the cabbage soup Pat made several days ago and we froze a couple of additional meals of it.  It contained rice and was more a stew than soup in the last serving but very tasty and filing.  Tom will probably be happy for the break but not happy about the income stream during the school holiday.  I find I prefer to write in the mornings but on occasion will be writing in the afternoon so if there is not a morning message no one should worry as I likely will be posting later in the day.  I served on one Condo Board but will not serve on our HOA board as just don't have the energy to do so.  Nice you were given a plate of cookies. 

Joy, other than a brief trip across the border into Canada for an hour or so I have never visited there except seeing pictures and videos.  It is obviously a very beautiful country but too cold me my liking.  Hope your Holiday tea was well attended yesterday and enjoyable to all in attendance.  Glad you are finding my suggestion on the coding helpful.  The one thing for certain about using computers is there is going to be change periodically.  I am planning on getting an iWatch for my birthday that is coming up in a few weeks so I will have more new things to learn.  Fortunately, today we can usually find a YouTube video or a set of instructions showing us how to do things on the computer and working with the software.  I often rely on this tool.  I have never heard of Oyster Pot Pie.  My dad was the only one in our family who liked oysters and he liked his in the form of oyster soup.  Mother would make that for him and fix potato soup for the other three of us. 

Marilyne, glad to see you had some better weather yesterday and I know what you mean about how good the sun looks after cold and cloudy or rainy days.  We are still having a lot of rain here in the S.E.  Years ago I had a co-worker and friend accept a job in our San Francisco office and he had to live many miles away from the city and commute back and forth each day.  Years ago I was invited to come, expenses paid, to San Francisco to participate in a board meeting of SeniorNet to represent the online discussion groups. It was just an afternoon session and that evening one of the board members, who was a highly paid executive with one of the well known computer software companies, hosted a lovely party at his home in Marin County and his house had a beautiful view of the Golden Gate Bridge and San Francisco and it was obviously a very high priced home.

shirleyn

Good morning boys and girls!  Another successful chemo session yesterday.  It only took about 4 hours, as they did just one infusion bag. And I am feeling great and full of energy this morning.  We then went to our regular doctor (every four months- he insists Ugh!).  And everything was good with him.  I managed to talk him into filling out a form for Senior Parking.  We will now have to go to the Tax Collectors Office to get that done.  His office is about 10 miles from here.  I have to go out anyway for gas and a quick stop at WinnDixie for some items that are on sale.

Wow, Larry, that was some repair bill.  Thank goodness you could afford it.  Not a lot of people could.  Thanks for the hint on getting started on my Quick Reply.  I have a blank page saved on my opening space.  I put that code on there & then this morning I just copied and pasted.  Neat.  Also, what does Pat put into her cabbage soup?  Cabbage is one veggie that Danny does like.  I often put leftover white rice in the bean soup, rather that throwing it out.

MaryAnn, it looks that by not stirring your soup, you had two different kinds of soup.  That is also neat.

Joy, thank you for the good wishes.  I seem to be quite lucky with this, I also hope it continues.

SCFSue, thank you for the invite to your BreastCancer section.  I do not have the breast cancer, but Lymphoma.  Do your people have different types of cancer?

Marilyne, I also watch that H&G TV show.  Always amazed at the prices.  Also amazed at some of the things that they take out of the houses for trash.  Some look better to me than what they put in.  Of course this comes from an old lady who still likes that type of decor.  :thumbup:

Okay, time to get my day started.  I hope you all have a great day ~

shirleyn.

Mary Ann

Hi Shirley, it's good to see your post so early in the morning.  Hmm - nearly 10 am really isn't that early, is it?  I'm glad your chemo is going along well.  Continued good results.

I told Dot about my soup experience and she said is was a potato soup with beans in it.  So I did have two kinds of soup!  I preferred the potato soup, but I'm not fond of either.  I like my tomato bisque soup where I take a can of tomato soup and use milk instead of water, chop up a slice of onion very small, add some paprika, salt and pepper and heat it up. 

Shirley, take advantage of everything you can as a Senior.  I had a handicap plate for my car and when I told it, the info was transferred to Tom's car so now he has a handicap plate because of me.  He doesn't use space unless I am with him and even then he is likely to drop me off at the door of a place and find a place to park. 

Today I am taking Tom to lunch at the Blue Water Grill, a place we both like.  They are a bit more than regular eating places, but in nice weather, they seat us beside the window which overlooks a man-made lake and there are duplex condos beside the lake.  Expensive condos, but ticky-tacky (remember the song?).  But nice condos.

Larry, so much has gone on since I was on the Condo Board and I am happy to not be on the Board now.  Our treasurer has been on the Board it seems forever and she does an excellent job of keeping track of expenses and interest rates.  I told her recently I think she did a very good job and she appreciated my remarks.  I am sure she doesn't hear that often - more often complaints.  We are a self-managed complex and we know if we went to an outside management system, we'd be paying a lot more in fees.

Larry, I live 150+ and 225+ miles from Canada and I can assure you around my state, the Canadian temps are about the same as Michigan temps and I don't think Michigan is a cold state.  Maybe more so than SC or GA, but really very moderate.  Today is unusual for the time of year, but there is no snow on the ground around here and our pond is not frozen.  Even when I look at the Soo, the water is moving.  I like the change of seasons.  Look at Patricia (Angelface) living in Alaska.  And she loves it!

I just found out I am having another guest for lunch - James.  He is coming to help Tom with something and I doubt James has ever been to the Blue Water Grill.  I said I'd treat him too; he's a good great-nephew!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Shirley - Good to see you here this morning.  You sound very upbeat and positive about your chemo, and that good attitude helps a lot. Where are you planning to spend your Christmas Eve and Christmas Day?

Mary Ann - Sounds like you'll be having a nice lunch and some social time with Tom and James today.  When you get home, be sure to tell us what you all had to eat?  We're going to go out tonight for dinner, but I don't know where yet.  I'd like to go to the Garden City Hofbrau, but we'll probably end up at Kirk's Hamburgers.  It's fairly close to us, and now that it gets dark so early, we hate to drive for any distance, after the sun goes down.   Poor night vision for both of us.

Mary Ann

What started out as lunch for two, expanded to three and ended up for four.  Alicia works near Grand Rapids and joined us.  I ended up paying for all of us and I wanted it that way.  So much technology has happened in the years since I bought my first computer that it was interesting listening to their conversation.  Tom told me some time ago what a "meme" was and I've forgotten already.  I even had the word in a crossword puzzle yesterday.  For me, it is "too old too soon, too smart, too late".

Marilyn, I had a Reuben sandwich with some homemade potato chips.  I brought back half of the sandwich and most of the chips.  Tom had a pizza that included goat cheese, Alicia had a pizza but I don't recall what was on it and I don't know what James had, but knowing him, it could have been a burger.  If you go to Kirk's, you might copy our choices, otherwise, you'll have to make up your mind!!!

Somewhere between the car and house I lost my glasses case with my dark glasses in it.  I thought I put it in a pocket when I got out of the car by the mailbox.  I have been back to the mailbox twice, retracing my steps.  I looked in the car.  There is no glasses case in my slacks or coat pocket.  So what did I do with them?  I gave the bunch of mail, my billfold to James and he put them in the kitchen.  I've already put that stuff away, but no glasses case!  As the King of Siam said, "Is a puzzlement".  They're around here somewhere!

It was fun having James and Alicia with us today as neither of them had ever been to the Blue Water Grill.  Tom and I like it as it is a bit more "toney" than Cheers or Bud and Stanley's.  Being beside a small lake makes it more interesting in the summer.  We were seated beside the fireplace but on the side, not front, so we did not get scorched. 

Mary Ann