Random Image

Deer

Owner: Jeanne Lee
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

I just looked at the indoor/outdoor thermometer in this room and it reads 35 degrees. We may be having a heat wave (up to 40 degrees tomorrow and/or Monday), but I understand we will have more cold weather on the way, maybe another Polar Vortex. 

Marilyn, does hard rain still cause problems with mudslides or has some vegetation started to grow again.

Joy, I like to go back to a warm bed too and if I get up early enough, like at 5:30 or 6 am, I can do that and usually do. 

Tom went out to drive last night and still has not come upstairs, however, I've heard him so I know he is awake.  I took the trash out and one bag was quite heavy but I got it out OK.  The hauler doesn't come until about 2:30 pm and today might even be later because they did not pick up for at least one day, if not two.  Our normal day is Friday.

Sandy, I have a good saying (created it myself) "a flat surface is a place to put things".  A flat surface can be the floor or a table or whatever and can easily be a place for "everything in its place". 

I just had a long talk with Tom's former wife.  I like her OK but she was so horrible during the divorce proceedings that I don't have a lot of respect for her.  However, we do have some very pleasant conversations. 

I'm almost finished with my computing so I'd better join Sandy and sort and pitch!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a warm, cloudy Interior! However, we will dip to minus twenty-four tonight with the plus temperatures back on Sunday.

Here is another link to the 8oo star map;

https://www.livescience.com/64657-new-milky-way-star-map.html

And here's what the polar vortex looked like from space;

https://www.livescience.com/64664-polar-vortex-freezing-air-satellite-view-2019.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Livesciencecom+%28LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed%29

https://www.livescience.com/64626-minnesota-has-angered-the-ice-gods.html

"High temps today across Canada and the upper midwest of the US didn't reach Mars last reported high. 1:45 PM - Jan 28, 2019

Sasha

Sandy, remember the S. S. Peirce (yep, e before I) boxes? They had that slogan on a little plaque. Wonder if the plaque gave the original source.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

MarsGal

Patricia, thanks for the updated url. The original one didn't work for me.

Except for going out to shovel the snow today, I kind of vegged with the cats and a book. Yesterday we were to get only about an inch of snow, and then, just in the morning. It snowed most of the day. The snow was very fine and steady but it only got two about two inches. It was 4o the first time I went out at around 8:30am.

Sandy

Regarding "A place for everything,
and everything in its place".. 
Just the thought of trying to live by
that slogan makes me have ultra high
Anxiety...  I would never find peace.
 :crazy2:

But when trying to organize,  I try to make
sure that everything does have a space (or a drawer)
or an container...   And I try to keep things
together that belong together..

I try but I soon fail.  Someday,  maybe. 

My stuff is still sitting on the dining table.. 
just waiting for organization to claim it.   
 :uglystupid2:
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

The kittens went out for adoption today except for mama who's waiting test results. More news at the pet site as well as a funny  house cat cartoon.

I'm wondering if anyone wants me to keep up with the Critter Room news? If not, I'll leave it for now.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I have looked at the kittens when you have posted the URL and I've gone back to it to see how they're doing, but this last one was 28 minutes and there is no way I'm going to look at a video of 28 minutes.  Four or five minutes is my limit.

I think this last batch of kittens has been the cutest, maybe because they're all black and white, not assorted colors.  But it is the kittens' antics that make them so cute, not their colors.

Sasha, I think the spelling of Peirce is English.  We had a man where I worked who had that last name.  The first time I saw it, I thought they must have misspelled the name but as they continued to spell it that way, I knew they were right.

There is a golfer, name of Piercy, also unusual.  Now I'm wondering if it is Peircy but I'm not going to look.

As I have mentioned, I have a TracFone and my year's time is ready to expire in a few days.  I use it only for emergencies, not everyday conversations, and I wondered if there was a plan where I could subscribe for a year only and no additional minutes.  I have close to 600 minutes and at the rate of 1-2 minutes a call, those minutes will last forever.  I had an e-mail from them today alerting me to the fact time is getting short.  I looked at their plans and they have one for $49 plux tax, one year and no minutes. I took it and I'm set for another year.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, I wouldn't watch 28 minutes either which is why I click on various parts of videos. I had already explained what happened but left the video in case someone wants to watch it partial or in full. I thought the earlier cartoon was amusing but if no one ever comments, posting there is not worth it.

I just saw the twins birth photos on the random image. They will be two on Feb. 7th? Lookout!  ;D

Joy

Good morning. I am making a quick stop, as my DIL is coming over this morning to help me clean out my pantry.  Lots of things will be tossed, I am sure.  Just have too much clutter.  And, if we have time, I hope to get a couple of the kitchen cabinets straightened up.  Time to get back to more de-cluttering.

I do hope everyone will have a nice Sunday.  It is a little warmer, but still cold. Supposed to keep getting warmer over the next week. And, then the cold will be back.  After all, it is still winter.

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  We start the day overcast but it is up into the 50's but will get into the low 60's today.  I did attend my meeting yesterday morning and then had a quiet afternoon and evening.  I managed to watch 4 different basketball games featuring very good teams at the top of the standings.  Today I will leave in a few minutes to attend Sunday School and then will attend Church which follows.  I have missed the last several weeks so it will be nice to be back among my friends.  This afternoon I will rest and watch a basketball game or two and then this evening will watch the Superbowl.  I just hope it is a good game.

Since I made a long posting yesterday and I am running short of time this morning I will make only a few comments. 

Joy, Bob Evans restaurants have always been a favorite with Pat and I.  Unfortunately we don't have any here in our area, just Denny's.  Cleaning out pantries isn't a fun thing to do but needs to be done occasionally to help us remember what is there. 

Marilyne, I think there are two reasons my doctor is restricting the liquids I take in each day and those are to do with my kidney disease as well as my heart disease.  I am adjusting my routine and staying within the limits although it is hard. 

Sandy, good luck with the "Sorting and Pitching". That was a cute picture you posted of the cat.  

Patricia, thanks for posting a different link to the Milky Way Star Map.  I have downloaded it in a separate tab and will look at it later when I have more time to enjoy it.

Marilyne

Good morning to Joy and Larry, the first ones here the morning!  Looks like you both have a nice day planned ahead.  Joy, I always need to de-clutter, and occasionally I will pick through some drawers and cabinets, and fill a whole box full of usable items to take to my local thrift shop.  Somehow, it still doesn't make a dent in my clutter problem.

Mary Ann - like you mentioned yesterday . . . if there is a flat surface anywhere in the house, it soon becomes covered with all sorts of junk.  I try to clear everything out every few weeks, but the "stuff" piles up quickly. 

Larry - Looks Like you're getting back to your regular routine.  I hope you enjoy the game this afternoon.  I don't know when it will be playing here? AJ really enjoys college football, but he has lost interest in the professional teams, in recent years.  However, he does watch the Super Bowl every year. I doubt that I will even take a look, but I will watch the "Puppy Bowl", on our old TV in the bedroom. 

Speaking of puppies, our son & dil got a new puppy this week - a Labrador retriever.  We're going over to their house this afternoon, to meet him for the first time. :dog3:

Mary Ann

Dot and I did our usual this morning.  It was icy where she stopped to pick me up but I did not slip or fall.  I walk very cautiously when ice is around.  There was a little ice at church and less at the Cholesterol Pit but I got along fine.  Tom had left the garage door open, I think in error, so I was able to go through there toward the house. 

It's good to see longer posts by Larry,  it looks as if your health is improving, Larry. 

I'm not a football fan so I will not be watching the big game today.  For those who do watch it, I hope you enjoy it and "your" team wins. 

Joy, I wish I had a DIL to help with my closets and drawers but I don't and I procrastinate in cleaning out places by myself.

I feel a nap coming on on.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from the again in the pluses Interior! This weather reminds me of a playground slide, and we will be in the plus thirties next week.

I'm going to repost something interesting that Bubble sent me. "Lots of traits are statistically rare: Left-handedness (just 10 percent of the population!), curly hair (11 percent!), and blond hair (4 percent!), to name a few. But of the more than seven billion people on the planet, only 2 percent can claim to have this one special trait. (To put that in perspective, that's 140 million people).

So what's this rare trait only one in fifty of us possess? Green eyes. That's right, just 2 percent of the world's population is lucky enough to have 'em, according to World Atlas.

Compare that to other eye colors. For example, some 79 percent of the population has brown eyes, while 8 percent has blue. About 5 percent of people have hazel eyes, and another 5 percent have amber eyes. Simply put, green eyes are incredibly unique. (Unique enough, in fact, to give Chris Martin the inspiration that would make Coldplay an overnight success)."

I am one of the 8% that has blue eyes, my two sisters and mom are among the 11% with curly hair and many of my relatives on my mom's side have green eyes with their red hair. Red hair is very dominant in our Irish, Scottish, Welsh background.

Mary Ann

Patricia, violet eyes were not mentioned, but I think Elizabeth Taylor was supposed to have violet eyes.  My parents had blue eyes, as did my aunts and uncles, so did Norm, I have them, Tom and Terry were born with blue eyes, but Tim had brown eyes.  Most of the rest of the family so far as I know have blue eyes except Annie who has hazel eyes.  Norm's first wife had beautiful brown eyes, so I expect Tim and Annie's eye color comes from her.  Norm and I had curly hair (my hair still has body but is not as wavy as when I was young), as does Tom and interestingly, one twin has curly hair, the other does not.  They are not identical, however, they really look very similar - only - Ellie is smaller than Jo (curly hair).  Both have red hair but both parents are red heads.

Interesting thought.

It's 45 degrees here now and roads are a mess, especially out in the country where the plows didn't do a good job.  Lots of ice on sidewalks, too.  It must be foggy at Grand Haven; I cannot see the lighthouses.

I'm watching golf.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

I was a blonde haired blue eyed young girl, still got my blue eyes, cant say the same about my blonde hair...
" There is no present like the time "

Marilyne

Interesting facts about eye color. Another color that wasn't mentioned is gray. I don't believe I have ever seen anyone with gray eyes, and yet descriptions of fictional people in novels, often describe them as having gray eyes?  I've always given my eye color as green, but I doubt that I am in some rare category of 2%.  They look light green to me, with no other colors mixed in. (I just took a look again, standing at the window with a mirror.)  I think my daughter, Sandy, has the same color, but I will take a look next time I see her.  Daughter Shelley, has blue eyes.  Son's eyes are hazel, as are AJ's.

Another trait that is genetic, is male baldness, and I think it's true that it does skip a generation.  My father started going bald in his 30's, and was totally bald by age 40. My brother didn't inherit that gene from him, but my son did! He started losing his hair in his 30's, and was soon completely bald. AJ still has all his hair, at age 84. Height is another interesting genetic trait, that runs in families.

angelface555

Rank   Eye Color   Estimated Percentage of World Population

4  Amber 5%
  5  Green 2%
  6  Gray  1%
  7  Red/Violet  1%
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/which-eye-color-is-the-most-common-in-the-world.html

"What percentage of the world population has violet eyes? - Fun ...
www.funtrivia.com/askft/Question130716.html
Apr 26, 2013 - In addition to the information already cited here, the following site talks about the percentage of people worldwide having certain eye-colors. Black (truly black eyes, not dark brown) and violet (or red eyes through albinism) are the rarest, and are both said to be present in under 1% of the world's population."

Purple eyes are said to be mutations and only 600 folks are known to have had them.  https://sites.psu.edu/siowfa15/2015/10/12/scientists-say-we-cannot-be-born-with-purple-eyes-but-why-some-people-do/

angelface555

"Lessing's ditch    Gotthold Lessing, 1777
Lessing makes the point with a metaphor that has become famous."

"If no historical truth can be demonstrated, then nothing can be demonstrated by means of historical truths. That is: accidental truths of history can never become the proof of necessary truths of reason. . . . That, then, is the ugly, broad ditch which I cannot get across, however often and however earnestly I have tried to make the leap."

Sandy

It's Super Bowl Time!

Gladys Knight  did an awesome job on the
Star Spangled Banner
!

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, I'm glad you liked Gladys at the Super Bowl.  I did not watch it or hear it, but some of the previous singers have messed up the National Anthem.

I watched the last part of the Waste Management Tour at Phoenix that Rickie Fowler won. He hasn't had too many wins over the years.

Marilyn, as for height in families, my parents and Norm were more normal height, although on the short side (5'8" for Dad and Norm, 5'4" for Mother).  If I was 5'0" in my prime, I'm stretching it as I am about 4'9" now.  I have reached the point where I can hardly reach anything and that isn't just because of my arthritis in the shoulder.  I have two great-nieces who are at least 5'8" tall and I think both favor their mothers' side, although their fathers are also about 5'8" tall. 

I say I have blue eyes, but they have a bit of grey in them.  On the other hand, if I wear something green by my face, my eyes take on a greenish tint and the blue increases when I wear something bright blue.  With white hair, I look better in pastels rather than darker colors (navy used to be my favorite).

Mary Ann

angelface555

My dad's family, even the girls were all over six feet. He was 6'5"  My mom's family was 5'7" and smaller and she was 4'9"

My two sisters are 6' and 6'1," and I am 5'6" almost exactly what the monk Mendleson, said to be the father of genetics, predicted.

MarsGal

My eyes are hazel. George has grey eyes that look blue depending on what he is wearing or the sunlight. Now, Shan's eyes are very interesting. His are a pale yellow with flecks of brown and blue that pop out depending on the light.

It is supposed to hit over 50o this afternoon.

Sandy

Good dark and dreary morning,
Everyone! 

Well,  the Pats won,  (barely),  but as they
say a Miss is as good as a mile.   

I  am not a Pats fan... probably one
of the few people from New England 
who will admit that !

It is already February 4th...  Yah!!! 
Next stop Spring...   :knuppel2:

Enjoy your day, 
Sandy

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Good morning.  A pretty sunny day and supposed to be  a little warmer this week.

I am just here for a few minutes as I am getting my hair done this morning.

I just wanted to comment on Sandy's posting about Gladys Knight's rendition of the National Anthem. I didn't watch the game, but after reading Sandy's message, I looked it up on YouTube. It was one of the best renditions of the National Anthem that I have ever heard.  And, I also read where she is 74 years old.  She is a class act.  That is how our National Anthem should be sung.  All of the "so=called singers" who have sung it in the past needs to learn something from hearing this version.   It was just beautiful.

MaryAnn, if you get a chance later, go to YouTube and listen.  It really gave me chills ! 

Need to get myself going.  Have a great day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

We went to our son's house for a while yesterday afternoon.  They just got an adorable new Labrador puppy on Saturday.  All their neighbors were there to see him, and the house was full of people coming and going.   Our granddaughter was preparing food for her Super Bowl party, and had her bf in the kitchen helping her, so the house was very crowded.  Too much going on for me, so I just sat at the table and watched the "passing parade". 

The game started at 3:30 here, so we left for home before then.  I do like to watch the singing of the Star Spangled Banner, but we didn't get home in time to see it, so I'll look for it on YouTube. I really like Gladys Knight, and remember back when she was known as "Gladys Knight and the Pips", and sang "Midnight Train to Georgia".  Beautiful song. 

I didn't watch the game itself, except the very end.  Neither of the teams mean anything to me, and I don't really like football, but I respect the fact that most people really love it, and get a thrill rooting for their favorite team.  What ever makes you happy, is a good thing.

Mary Ann

Tom went to Annie's for supper last night and to watch much of the Super Bowl.  He expected it would be midnight here before the end of the game so left before the end, but the game was over soon after he got home.  Annie had cooked a chicken  dinner in her Insta Pot (6 qt) and sent some of it home with Tom for me.  Annie is the girl who resisted learning how to cook and she has now cooked two or three meals for Tom.  I am sure her SO has something to do with it. 

I heard some of Gladys Knight's rendition on the Super Bowl but I've been trying to find a clip by the young woman in the choir who took everyone by storm; I see all sorts of mentions, a few pictures but no actions or sounds. 

It is so hard for me to believe it is 47 degrees out today - so far.  Feb 4 and it is the twins' birthdays; they're two today.  I don't know if there will be a celebration or not.  Not necessarily today,but during the weekend.  There was for their first birthday.  Talking to Grandma Sue yesterday, she said James and the girls were going to visit her north of Traverse City to give Alicia a break.  Funny time to give her a break on the girls' birthday so maybe something may be afoot.

Marilyn, I'll bet people had fun with the Lab puppy.  I have a picture of Tom's family dog when she was about six months old and she was a "doll"; she and I were best pals.

MarsGal, when you stop to think about it, there are a lot of different colored eyes with many shades of every color. 

Mary Ann

Lindancer

MaryAnn, I did not watch the superbowl, I was watching Victoria. My neighbor had a super bowl party,  the benefits part of there long sandwich, salads and a plate of cookies  :thumbup:
You saying how Annies has changed in cooking  habits. Remained me how everyone changes through the years, and only my thoughts we should not judge how a person acted in high school or college, we do grow up I hope. Just look at the way those students acted yesterday at a golf tournament. Crazy cloths booing and etc. Golf was considered  a gentleman's game

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

What a shock yesterday it got up to 50 deg. not much sun though. They do say will be 30s rest of week but then to freezing rain comes again.  But I sort of believe the The Ground Hog prediction. He says will have a early spring

I did think that as I was stuck in the house without a car. Its still sitting there. Think need new Alternator so not way will it start up. Just put a new battery in it.
I thought would be good time to clean up all the messy places such a pantry, drawer, good clean fridge.closets Not done one thing. Never in the mood in winter time.
Still messing with the New Computer. Not liking W10 at all. If I knew how I would set the W7 one back up. Cost me $140 to get the new one set up and still not happy with Comcast and Emailing problem.

Mary Ann.  Did your tom have lots of business Sat. Sunday from drinkers? They have lowered the DUI down to 5% now not 8% so about 2 beers is what a person can drink.  I went to sleep Sat and at midnight I woke to loud banging and guess was another shooting over at the service station across the Road.  4 people they say. Second time this year that place.
JeanneP

Mary Ann

Jeanne, Tom said he had some drunks either Friday or Saturday, but they were not in the majority of his riders.  A lot of people want to go to the airport so they have Uber as to not have to leave their cars.  Tom says the worst he has are young women who go from bar to bar.

It might help your car if you had a warm place to keep it.  We've always had garages and it is hard to imagine not having one, although I remember a neighbor not having one when I was a kid, but this was the Depression and he didn't have a job.  Later, as things got better, he did build a garage.  Could you have a carport built to protect your car a bit?  I also have heard of people having a blanket to put over their car.  Even with a garage, in very cold weather my dad used to hang a light bulb from the outlet; this was before the more dependable cars of today.  If you moved to a smaller home or apartment, I am sure you'd have a garage.

Jeanne, is there someone who can teach you one-on-one about Windows 10?  I have that on my computer, but I use Firefox as my browser.  I am not one to teach you, especially long distance!

Gloria, I learned to bake at a young age and I remember one chocolate cake recipe that called for too much baking soda and the cake fell in the middle.  When my mother saw the cake, she pitched both that and the recipe.  I baked a long time before I learned to fix a meal.  Eventually, on Sunday, Dad would start the meat, drive to church to pick me up then return to be at church with Mother and I'd fix the rest of the meal; we ate at noon on Sunday in those days.  Annie has shown no inclination to either bake or cook but I do not know if she was encouraged or not.  Her mother is a good cook although she doesn't always think things through as to how things go together.  She wanted to soften some crystalized honey and put it in the microwave for five minutes.  You can guess what happened.  When she was with me, I'd try to have Annie heat a frozen dinner and she wasn't interested.  She was interested in the food, just not preparing it to eat.  She likes mac and cheese and one time I found her fixing it in a small saucepan with just enough water to cover the macaroni and the pan was full of macaroni and a little water; I keep telling her to "read the directions first".  I think it was two years ago that she fixed a ham dinner, but it was a precooked ham and the rest of the food was boxed.  That was a step forward in her cooking.  I wonder if her SO has encouraged her.  Regardless of how it came to be, I am very pleased that she is taking an interest in cooking.  I am not a great cook, but can hold my own and I don't feel it is my responsibility to teach her, but I'll be glad to put in my 2c worth if asked.

It has started to rain here and our temperature is still at 48 degrees and it is not a very pleasant day.  Starting tomorrow, out temps are to head down so in a few days out high will be 20 and one day our low will be in the single digits.  I've said this many time that this type of weather is when people get sick.

I fixed my eggless eggs benedict for lunch today.

Time to close the cover on my book!

Mary Ann