Random Image

Pat and Squirrel

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:03:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Mary Ann - My niece, my brother's youngest daughter, also named her daughter Avery. I think Avery is a very popular name now for girls.  My other niece named her daughter Dylan, and her son Colton.  I think those two are also popular names right now. 

My three great granddaughters, all have old fashioned names. They are,  Virginia, Madeline, and Mary Anna.  The one boy is named Steele, which sounds very odd/unusual at first.   However, he is a Junior . . . named after his  father, so that explains it.

My two daughters both go by their nicknames.  Sandy, is actually named Mary Alexandra.  Shelley, is Michelle Elaine.

angelface555

MaryAnn, the article mentioned the WWII grenade later in the article as a similar discovery.

I named my daughter Marie Gabrielle because of the flow of syllables and how it matched and continued with her last name of Eminhizer, and yes it is pronounced correctly as it's spelled. Her father wanted to name her Jo with no middle name.  Her first name was an often used first or middle name on the maternal side of my family.

She had issues in school as the teachers kept calling her Maria. They would apologize when she called them on it but would soon go back to calling her by the wrong name. So she started going by her middle name and later teachers began calling her Gabby which necessitated a letter from me about how this seeming non-issue to them was, in fact, a BIG issue to her.

A friend has a grandaughter named Ia, pronouced I-uh.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, in most cases in our family we were named for family members of old - I was named for my mother's grandmother (Mary Ann), her mother (Mary Emeline) and her aunt (Eliza Ann).  My dad's middle name was Carl and that was from a family friend (I understood) and Norm was named for Dad.  Norm's sons were Timothy Norman (for Norm and Dad), Thomas Gerald (family friend) and Terrance Willis (maternal grandfather).  When Terry and Jan were married, Jan did not take our last name and Norm had a fit.  As it turned out, Jan and Terry were the only ones married to first spouses and Jan had a lot on her table with Terry's illness and her parents' dementia.  Not only that, they both put the other's last name into their legal names - Jan is Janice Tock Lancaster and Terry was Terry Lancaster Tock.  Norm's first wife felt bad about Terry's name because the Willis was for her father.  Some hurt feelings there.  I think none of the next generation were named for anyone, but Annie's middle name is Anne for me (I do not have an 'e' on my Ann).  It must take a lot of thought in naming babies.  Such as does the name go well with the last name.  I know if I had been a boy, I would have been Norman Jr as Norm was being the second child.  Well, a couple has nine months to make up their minds.  I thought your Sandy was Sandra - just goes to show what I know!

I'm taking a break from taxes.  Things are going along fine.  I have no idea if I'll pay or not this year, but I paid a big (to me) estimated tax so I hope to break even.  You ought to sit with AJ and let him explain about your taxes.  You never know it might be necessary for you to do them some year.  Or your son can do them!

Patricia, I guess I didn't read the article far enough.

It is odd teachers called  your daughter  Maria for Marie; I would have suspected the other way around.  As you know I am NOT Mary, nor am I Mary A.  I have one church friend who calls me Mare; I've never been called that!  I have often said that I try to call a person by their correct name (spell it right too) because that is the only thing that is ours alone.  With names of our generation, that isn't too hard, but I'm happy I'm not a teacher these days what with all of the unusual names of their students.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

I was christened Jacqueline, my late father always called me by that name, guess it was me who shortened it...I always have to smile as my gran ( fathers mother ) always pronounced my full name of calling me Jake-alin....cant remember ever correcting her, guess I wouldn't have dared,  as she was on the cantankerous side...
I lost gran when I was 2 or 3 months pregnant at age 17...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, I doubt there's another nickname for Jacqueline than Jackie, but some people spell the nickname as Jacquie as in Jacquie Lawson greeting cards.  I like nicknames and never had one except Tick Tock.  I think Jacqueline is a very pretty name. 

I notice people and a dog on the ice at Grand Haven.  We've been at or below freezing for a while so I think it is safe.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

We had a busy morning with the doctor's appointment and then on the way home we stopped at Diablos for our main meal.  It was pleasant to get out for a little while and to actually eat in a restaurant.  I brought 2/3rd of my lunch home for future meals.  I tried to rest for a couple of hours but couldn't get my shortness of breath to stop.  I have now read all the postings up to this time and didn't see anything that I could add to so will sign off for today.

Marilyne

I didn't mention my son, Bradley, (Brad) when I was listing family names.  He was born in 1961, and  Brad was a very popular name for boys, throughout the 1960's.   His two children are named Jacob (Jake) and Jessica. 

Jackie - Brad's wife is also named Jacqueline, but has always been called Jackie.  Her middle name is Vera. 

Patricia - I love the name Gabrielle.  It's very pretty, and does seem to go with just about every surname - short or long. As you said, Marie was a very popular name, as a middle name, for a long time.  I think it was because it also, flowed along nicely, with any first or last name. 

Mary Ann - A while back, I was going to ask you if you or Norm, or any of Norm's boys, were ever called Tick?  Now it turns you that YOU were!  I think that's a really cute nickname, if your last name happens to be Tock

Joy

Well, I am back.  I wound up cancelling my doctor's appt.  It was kind of a mutual agreement between my DIL and I.  The weather report was just so iffy.  It is a good thing,  as it snowed and sleeted up my way most of the afternoon. And, I did not get my hair done, either.  I had gotten up really early to check the weather, and after I made all my decisions, I went back to bed and slept almost until noon.  Then, had another nap a little later in the afternoon.  Had nothing to do, and read for a while and I always get sleepy when I read.

I couldn't get another appointment for 6 weeks.  It was just a routine appt. and don't have any new issues.  Only thing, I  probably will have to have blood work done again before the next time.

I am hoping that all my family will make it home ok.

My granddaughter called me as her birthday is tomorrow and let me know that she got her card.  She is expecting a new baby any time.  She had just come from the doctor and everything was still the same as last week.  So, it is a wait and see situation. Sure hope it is all overwith soon.

Speaking of odd names....  I have a niece who just had a little boy and named him "Phoenix". ???  And, there is a lady who lives where I live and she has a  great-grand daughter named "Citizen", and they call her "City".  That is going a little too far, I think.  My granddaughter has chosen the name "Marley" for her expected daughter.  I am trying to get used to that.  Her other little girl is name "Iris Joy".  Iris is an old name.  I don't know where some of these young ones today come up with these strange names.  I feel bad for the children when they start school.

I need to go look for some dinner pretty soon. I think tonight is the finals for the "America's Got Talen".  I do have a couple favorites.  And,  I will probably read at some point.

Larry, I am glad that you got out a little bit, but sorry you didn't have a very pleasant afternoon.  Probably was just a little too much activity for your first time out. But, I can understand how nice it you felt about getting out to eat. I know you and Pat enjoy your lunch and dinners out.  Hope you will have a good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Marilyn, it has been a joke in our family about our name - if someone sees the name in print, they don't know how to pronounce it; you'd laugh at some of the attempts.  But if we tell them our name, we always have to spell it.  You know, Tick Tock won't do for the present generation because most clocks don't go Tick Tock any more.  I had a second cousin near Milwaukee who was a teacher and he said he forbade is students to call him that.  I don't know that my dad and I ever discussed it; it was part of our name!

I used to worry about the made-up names, thinking how silly they would sound when the person was old, but I realize many others also would have comparable names, so who would care!

Joy, it's too bad it takes so long to get another appointment, but you were comfortable at home this morning, rather than worrying about driving conditions. 

Watching the Weather Channel,I see the next storm is in the Northwest.  I hope we don't have snow into the middle of June.  I do think the patterns start later and last later - at least the last few years.

Larry, it's good that you got out to eat for a change.  It really is nice to sit in a restaurant and let someone else do the work - both cooking and serving.

Tom is having dinner with a friend; they usually lunch together.  Tom said he'd be back to fix a meal for me if I wanted him to.  I know there's frozen tilapia in the freezer and I may fix that before he gets home.

I found my grandparents' wedding license on my computer, so I copied and pasted it and sent it to my cousin - we are the only two of the grandchildren left.

Mary Ann

angelface555

I don't know why her teachers thought she was a Maria, but it may have been a common name in that junior high. At that age, a child is just beginning to develop an identity, and I believe the seventh-grade teachers dismissed that.

And the eighth-grade teacher who insisted on calling her Gabby even when she repeatedly protested was simply insensitive at the very least. It came to a head when Marie refused to acknowledge the name Gabby and was sent to the principal's office. When she was sent home, and they called me at work, I had a fit, wrote the letter that night and accompanied Marie to school that following day

I met with both the teacher and the principal, gave them the letter and stated that if the teacher insisted on calling Marie Gabby, then she had my permission to call the teacher, Gertie as her first name was Gertrude. I believe I made my point.

The name Marie as both a first and a middle name showed up in all of the maternal generations going back to Ireland.

When I was young, my godmother was unmarried and was my mother's great aunt. She kept asking when I was old enough to be called by my name. I finally asked my mother and she explained that in times past, as a girl grew older, she put up her hair and dropped childhood nicknames and went by her full name.

It took me until age forty to feel I was old enough and now I politely correct those who call me by a diminutive.

Lindancer

Marilyne came out with that son Open the Door richard, it was played day and night. So he became Dennis Venoy

Mary Ann, my nick name was Angel, my mother never was happy when I printed on the back of my beer jacket.  My last name was DeAngelis

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Mary Ann

I have to mention something that just happened - I was watching some of the cat videos and this last one was a darling little black kitten who meowed loudly beside the road.  There was a photographer, of course, and maybe he or someone else would stroke the kitten once in a while.  Tom called up to me that is sounded as if our cat was crying.  I told him I was watching the video.  The cat sound was loud enough that I was surprised that Kendrick didn't come in here to investigate, but he didn't.  Only Tom heard the cat!

Mary Ann

JeanneP

I still like the old names.  Really some strange ones in the US anymore. The dont seem to do that in other Countrys Fact some will not let you. I know In France you couldnt just make up a name.  Now in UK. they would not baptize in the Church of England with any strange sounding names.  For my 2 girls I just went with Susan Marie and Julie Ann.Middle name in the family. Mine is Jeanne Think should be Je'anne. My god mother was Jenny and my mother was Anne.
JeanneP

shirleyn

Hi to all.  So sorry I have been absent for so long.  I have been rather down & not very pleasant lately.  These treatments are really getting to me.  And now the recent visit to the radiation doctor, and he says I need to go thru 3 more treatments.  Sigh!

Anyway, I see it is time for some birthday greetings:

shirleyn
(~_~)

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to LARRY.
And many more!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Linedancer!!
And many more!!

shirleyn.

Vanilla-Jackie

MarsGal

:hb2: It's a party!  :balloons:

Shan has just arrived with extra loud purrs to help my wish Lindancer and Larry a Happy Birthday!

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We have a damp and cloudy morning and some heavy rain showers and winds are predicted for a 4 hour windows late this afternoon.  I ended up having to spend the night in my easy chair and finally got maybe a couple of hours of sleep in it.  This cough associated with my heart was bothering me last night and I knew it would keep Pat awake.  I have only two things that I must do this morning and the first is to meet with my friend to work with him for an hour.  Following that whenever Pat is up and ready she will take me downtown for a quick blood draw in preparation for an appointment with my GP early Friday morning.

Joy, today will be the 4th or 5th time I have had blood drawn in the last two weeks.  My poor arm is getting black and blue.  You were wise to cancel your appointments yesterday and use the day for extra rest.  I have some strange names in great grandchildren also.  My oldest one is named Cobra, then there was Shelby (these two were named after types of cars) then I have Romero, who was named after a horror movie director, and finally the little one is named Hawk. 

Mary Ann, the restaurant we went to yesterday we had to go to the counter and tell the server what we wanted on our selection.  It didn't take long as there was no one in front of us.  They brought it to the table when it was ready. 

Interesting discussion about old names and new names. 

Shirley, sorry you need the additional treatments but hopefully those will also soon be over and you will start feeling better.  I hope Danny is taking good care of you.  Thank you for the birthday greeting.  This is number 78 for me.

Lindancer, Happy Birthday to you.  Our birthdays have always been easy to remember as they are tied to Lincoln's birthday and used to be a Federal Holiday.

MarsGal, thanks for the birthday greeting and I wish I could give Shan some petting but will just have to do it in my mind.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the soon
to be snowy, windy, rainy and sleety
rocky coast of Maine.

Kelly is picking me up at 11AM to
go get my INR drawn and some grocery
store.   

I don't mind having my blood drawn
through my arm,  but I hate my fingers
getting pricked. 

Since I will be living with coumadin and
having blood drawn monthly and sometimes weekly,
I should get over my hate for finger  pricks. 

But I am putting that off as long as I can. :-\

Larry ...
Sorry to see that you are still having
breathing issues...  I admire your ability
to persevere at times when you are most
uncomfortable.   

You know your own body and what
you can handle,  and when to listen to
the doctors recommendations...  but it is
very hard to have to give up your
routines...

I hope that they can come up with
methods that will let you return to
being more independent.

Have a great day,  everyone even
while a storm is approaching.   

Take care.
Sandy
 :smitten:   
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Good morning from snowy Grand Rapids.  I am thankful we are getting snow, because south of us down by Kalamazoo there is freezing rain.  I think that will go east and not north.  Tom is sub teaching this morning, but not too far away.

First of all I want to wish Happy Birthdays to both Larry and Gloria de.  Larry, I'm happy to see you made it to #78 and I hope you are around for many more birthdays.  Gloria, I'm right behind you.  The only goals I have these days is to get to the next birthday - yours is #95 and I aim for the same number.  I never expected to be here at this age.  And I feel good!

Larry, I admire you as to how you are adapting to the new "rules" as I know it is not easy to go from being busy to taking it easy.  Of course, my main activity is being on the computer, these days working on taxes. 

Shirley, I feel bad that things are not going too well for you and I hope after the radiation is finished that you will feel much better.  It is the time of year that I used to visit in Florida, so it is time for a strawberry malt and a Cuban sandwich at the Goodman Strawberry Farm.  Think positively!

Sandy, I take Eliquis and before I see the doctor, I have blood drawn too.  Mine is from the arm and if it doesn't work that way, through the top of my hand.

Lastly, Happy Birthday to Abe Lincoln who I feel was one of our greater presidents.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good morning early for me. right now we are having our first snow storm.
Larry, we made it.  A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you. Yes, it use to be a holiday. I always had off from school, My mother would order a Lincoln Log cake from Krugs, Great memories

Sandy, I always hate when they set up the needles in the back of my hand, or draw from there.

Thank, you all for my greetings.
Jackie, love the Queen and I  :)

MaryAnn, we have to keep our club going. We have not heard from Junee in a long time. Hi! if you are checking in.
Shirleyn, thank you, I feel so sorry, but you are a strong person and I know you will get better.

MarsGal thanks for the balloons. Taffy my cat is playing with a mouse, right now, she had not looked at it for months

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...my Birthday wishes to you are posted on the Christian site forum, I dont want you or members to think I left you out... ;)

Lindancer ( Gloria D ) our British Royalty is wishing you a fantastic day, she even has her red hat on...She doesn't do that for everyone, unless they reach 100, then she sends them a special 100 Birthday Card here in UK..Hmm, not sure I will make it on her list...

Mary Ann

Jackie, it is my understanding that if someone requests it, the President (or someone) sends a greeting on a person's 100th birthday, or a wedding anniversary (but I don't know which year).  I don't plan that far ahead.  I noticed the Queen's picture in your greeting to Gloria.  The Queen's birthday is a few days after mine and she's two years younger than Gloria, June Drabek and I.  Junee is two or three years older than we are - rather exclusive group, aren't we?

Gloria, I saw a post from Junee somewhere asking why she had to sign in each time.  I'll find her and get her over here.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...

....ha ha, I shall notify our Queen of our ageing member list group...dont forget our Queen is 92 and still ruling strong...

Marilyne

Birthday Greetings to Gloria de and Larry!
I hope you both have a nice day, and enjoy some memories of past birthdays!  :) 
Larry I hope that today you will be feeling much better than yesterday, and will continue to improve as the days move forward. 
Gloria - Love your greeting from The Queen! ;D  I think she is near your age or getting close?  Have a fun day with your neighbors and friends!

Mary Ann - I saw the message from Junee also. She was one of the members I was thinking of, who had stopped posting since the upgrade. Well, he's going to upgrade again, so maybe that will bring some of those people back.

More later - it's almost 9:00 here, and I'm getting hungry for breakfast!

CallieOK

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GLORIA DE

][/HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LARRY

...and Happy 26th Birthday to granddaughter, Miss Ellen

Mary Ann

Callie - Happy 26th to your granddaughter, Miss Ellen.  I was 26 once.  Sigh!

I really do not wish to be 26 again; as I've often said, "I'm glad my future is behind me".  I think there will be so many bumps in the road ahead for the country and the younger folks will be the recipients.  As a rule, I'm an optimist and I'm not completely pessimistic - but that's the way I feel today.

Marilyn, you were going to have your breakfast at 9 am.  Your 9 am was my 12 noon and I had my breakfast at the same time.  So did Kendrick (a sprinkle of catnip) and he's been hounding me ever since for more!

It has been snowing here most of the morning.  It isn't a blizzard snow, but it's a constant snow and I expect we will have an accumulation when it's finished.  I'm thankful we are not getting the freezing rain south of us - yet.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

So was I, Mary Ann... and expecting Ellen's dad.

Sandy, I have to prick my finger occasionally to test for blood sugar. When the pharmacist was showing me how to do it,  I thought, "If you stick that needle in your finger one more time, I'm going to get up and run out of here!"  Took me two weeks to get up the nerve to do it myself at home.  I was sure I would pass out and sat on the edge of the bed with a cold washcloth handy. I was surprised when it didn't bother me that much. 
That was because he told me to prick it on the side of the "fleshy part" because the nerves are all in the center. It worked!
Glad I don't have to do it several times a day but also glad I'd probably be able to if it was necessary.

Marilyne

It's busy today in Bait & Tackle! Lots of members here to say hello, and to wish our two birthday friends, a happy day! :thumbup:

Callie - Happy Birthday to Ellen!  I remember when she graduated from high school, and it doesn't seem like that long ago. I'm glad she's doing well in NYC, and is loving it there.  I was also 26, when my son was born, but I think I'm a couple of years older than you.  He was born in March, 1961.

Mary Ann - I agree that the 26 year olds of today, have a future that looks much different from back when we were that age. It looks bleak to me now, but there is always a chance that things will settle down and swing back. Still, I would like to be 26 again, if I could return to 1961. I would not want to be a Millennial, in today's world.

Larry - I think you win the Grand Prize, for unusual names for grand or great-grand children!  I remember many years ago there was another discussion here in S&F about the new made-up names for children.  Mary Page, also had some very unique names in her family!

Mary Ann & Patricia - I like nicknames, and I always wanted one . . . but I never got one. Just plain Marilyn it was, and still is! I think that's why I wanted both daughters to have nicknames, but to also to have a proper name if they preferred to use it as they grew older.

CallieOK

Marilyne, Ellen's dad was born in August, 1962.  We moved from Amarillo to Colorado when he was 6 weeks old.

Joy

I just want to wish Larry and Gloria de, a Very Happy Birthday !  I do hope you both are enjoying your special day.

Callie, it is also my grand daughter's 26th birthday.  She is expecting her 2nd little girl anytime now, and we were all hoping she would be born on her mother's birthday. So far, have not heard anything.

I am off to play cards this evening, and will try to get back a little later.

Again,  HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LARRY AND GLORIA DE

Joy
BIG BOX