Random Image

granny3.jpg

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:05:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Our five year drought is officially over here in Northern California! We have had almost double, of what is considered normal, so it's a good thing.  Of course, everyone's tired of it, and starting to complain!  Always the way of weather . . . either not enough, or too much, of whatever you were hoping for!

Mary Ann - I hope Tom will be feeling better, once he's up and around? Lots of colds and other health complaints going on everywhere.  Give Kendrick an extra bit of petting, from me, and tell him "Aunt Marilyn" sends her love! :D

Joy

Just want to say Hello !
Nothing much happening so far today.  It is windy, but the temperature is almost 60º.  Supposed to get colder tomorrow and maybe some more snow.

Larry, I am so sorry that you are feeling so weak.  I know that isn't like you, at all.  You mentioned that you had a doctor's appt. on THurs. morning and I was hoping that you would have gotten some different medicine or some other kind of help.  You know all of us are thinking of you and  saying a special little prayer that you will start feeling better. 

Take care.

Joy
BIG BOX

FlaJean

Yesterday was my 83rd birthday.  My son and wife sent me the most beautiful red roses and white Lilys and a box of Godiva chocolates.  A couple of those chocolates and I felt younger.  My husband and I decided to wait until the black eyes were gone before going out for a birthday dinner.  Feb. is a big month for our family—our oldest daughter and our son have anniversaries, two of our great grands have birthdays and a grandson and I have birthdays.

The weather has been nice the last few days.  Larry Hanna, I sure wish you were feeling better and sorry that the Chromebook had to be replaced.  I use my iPad for almost everything and it is light and sits comfortably in my lap.  My iMac is ten years old and still works well, but I only use it for making cards or resizing photos.  I hope it keeps working well as I wouldn't be able to use my card app on a new computer.

Mary Ann, it sounds like you had a nice time with the little girls.  Your fortunate you have Tom living with you.

Marilyne, I heard the expression "Pineapple Express" on CBS news last evening.  They were showing the mud slides on the national news. 

My son also has MS and has been on disability a number of years.  He isn't in a wheelchair yet but uses one of those claw foot type canes.  He doesn't drive or go anywhere by himself.  He has fallen several times but so far hasn't broken anything.  However, he still manages to live a useful but quiet life.  He performed my oldest grandson's wedding and several days ago he officiated at his father-in-law's funeral.  He sent me the text and it was a truly beautiful tribute to a lovely man. Well, I don't usually write a book. 🥺. So better close.

Vanilla-Jackie

Belated Birthday Wishes... FlaJean...

Yes some MS'ers can and will live a " useful but quiet life " so I am guessing he hasn't got the Primary Progressive...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jean, belated birthday wishes.  I know I was in much better shape when I was 83; still driving and living alone.  I am so happy I have Tom living with me and it works out well for him too.  He's been here about 5 1/2 years now and has taken over my lower level.  We both have our privacy, but we know what is going on with each other's lives. 

I'm sorry to hear your son has MS but he seems to be handling it well.  I imagine what Jackie has is advanced from what he has.  How nice he can still perform marriages and funerals. 

Aunt Marilyn, Kendrick said "meow" (thank you).  The only titles we have assigned for Kendrick is Annie is his Mother.  I wouldn't dare call Tom his grandfather and I don't apply any title for me.  However, he is "my good big boy". 

Tom and I went to Bud & Stanley's for lunch today.  He had a chicken dish and a salad.  I had a wet burrito.  Tom is going back to Holland this afternoon and evening to sit with the girls again but I am not going this time.  His friend Mary may join him.  She has been with the girls before and she just loves them.  As do we all!

Mary Ann

JeanneP

What a great shot of the lake today. Doesn't even look like water. I have lost all my other Camera shot places when changing to new computer

I need to have someone send me the sites again for the Bridge and the Eagle nest. Still have no sound on computer either. Hope SIL comes up from Texas Soon. Computer needs lots of settings done
JeanneP

JeanneP

Oh! my. I think I have finely found out how to do some Font changing. I had given up on it.
JeanneP

MarsGal

FlaJean, Happy, Happy Birthday!

It is a quiet day here, 55o, and mostly cloudy.

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where we are similar, just a bit cooler from yesterday. However, we are expecting warmer weather over the weekend again.

Farrah is splitting her time watching birds and napping. The single species flocks of small birds generally run 20 to 30 whereas the winter multi-species flocks are significantly larger and it is a sight to see them dip and curve in unison riding the wind.

I don't know where they go midwinter, but it is a definite sign of spring when they return to this area and the river. We have ravens, groups of gathered young males, in the fall and winter, and many geese and ducks are now wintering over.

Fish and Game has asked for the past couple of years that people don't feed them as it makes them too comfortable here, but I don't think anyone was paying attention. I'm still getting sinus symptoms every time the barometric changes. These symptoms seem to be common in spring and fall.

Hi MarsGal!

Larry, I'm sorry that you're still feeling weak. Perhaps you need to rest for a more extended period? I know how easy it is to want to do more when you start to feel better. As MaryAnn mentioned, how aggravating when something you've ordered isn't right.

MaryAnn, it sounds as if Tom needs a bit more rest as well, but I know it probably won't change his mind. I had a cousin like that; he was always going somewhere or doing something. Kendrick sounds like he is enjoying life with a bit of 'nip. I wish Farrah enjoyed it. I fondly remember the zoomies of previous cats. What is a "wet burrito?"

Hi Jackie!

Marilyne, I went and looked at California weather, and it is pouring and flooding out there! I also saw the definition of an atmospheric river, and it made sense. I hope you are staying safe! It must feel as if you're barreling toward one extreme to another. I'm hoping you see a bit of good weather soon! I remember when our fifteen-year drought ended, and all the summers following have been colder and wetter. However, California has different terrain and weather systems than here.

Hi Joy!

Happy belated  :hb3:  Jean!  :nanadance:  :nanadance2:  It sounds particularly lovely! I am a bit perturbed that you didn't bring any chocolates to share with us! Your February sounds like our July, with two birthdays and an anniversary plus an adoption anniversary.

I was sorry to hear about your son. He seems to be taking care of himself and still enjoying his family and life.  I know some here who have made similar choices.

Marilyne

Jean - Happy belated birthday from me too! Sounds like you got lots of lovely presents, related to Valentine's Day as well. :)   I don't blame you for waiting until your black eyes are gone, before going out for your birthday dinner.  I would do the same thing if it were me. Good to hear that your son is doing well with his MS. He must have been quite young when he was diagnosed?  That reminds me to ask you about your grandson, and how he is doing?  Is he the one who lives in Temple City?

Patricia - We have the same problem here with people feeding geese, ducks and other migratory birds, in the state and county parks. Fish and Game has placed large signs everywhere, asking visitors NOT to feed the birds, and explaining why this is bad for them and for the water as well.  People pay absolutely no attention, and come with bags of old bread that they give to their children to break up and throw into the water. Sometimes, there is no hope that people will take note, and do the right thing. :(

Mary Ann - Hmmmm?  I'm thinking about possible names for you to be to Kendrick??  I know Annie is his "Mother", but I think you took her place along ago, as far as he is concerned. Therefore you could be Mom? Auntie is a good one? I like that best.

Glad you got out today to Bud and Stanleys for lunch. The weather has been too wet and wild lately, for us to drive anywhere for a meal. Parking is scarce near any restaurants here in town, so we always have to park and walk. Kirk's has a nice large parking lot, that's easy in and out, but I'm kinda tired of it for now. 

Hello also to MarsGal, Joy, and Jackie.  I would say more to all of you, but I've been sitting here for about an hour, and need to take a break!

Mary Ann

Marilyn, as long as I'm the only one giving names to Kendrick's family and friends, I'm going to leave it that Annie is his mother and that is all.  He doesn't answer to any name anyway, just comes if he wants to, especially is catnip is involved.  Incidentally, Patricia, he does not get the zombies after he has catnip and maybe I don't give him enough.  Kendrick has excellent hearing and smelling.  He can tell when I open the drawer with the catnip and if he's elsewhere in the house and I open a jar of catnip, he's beside me before I get the cover off the jar.  And if I'm in his way, he jumps over a piece of furniture to get to the catnip!

Tom made a good decision a while ago - to not go to Holland to baby sit.  He said he did not feel like driving 40 miles there, sitting with the girls for four hours, then driving back home late at night.  He decided he was going to crash and hope for more sleep.  He had a good lunch today, not fast food.

Patricia, a wet burrito is Mexican (I think) with ground beef, cheese, refried beans and I don't know what else, wrapped in a pastry with a kind of spicy sauce over it, served with onions, sour cream and nacho crackers.If someone has a better description, I hope they put one in here.  I'll see if I can find a picture or a link.  I don't have one often because I don't care for Mexican food.  As I've mentioned, Bud and Stanley were the names of the owners' dogs.  They've been in business long enough that the dogs have probably died.  They have a BS club where I guess they send coupons for specials. 

Jeanne, I haven't looked at the lake for a while but I will when I leave here.  I am sure when you get your computer set the way you want it, you will be able to get the links you used to have.  PS - I looked at it and I think it looks like the clouds we see when we fly.  The color is where dirt has blown onto the ice.

I am watching golf from Pacific Palisades which I think is in the LA area.  It looks dry now, but every so often someone raises an umbrella.

End of this book!

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=wet+burrito+origin

You may have to put that link in the search line, but I highlighted it, then clicked on it and info came up.  One thing that surprised me was that the wet burrito seems to have been invented by the Beltline Bar in Grand Rapids.  I had my first one there and liked it very much.  There is a picture of the wet burrito with the article.

I would not be surprised if other areas have something similar, only under another name.

After I posted the link etc, it is "postable", no need to copy and paste.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Thanks, MaryAnn for both the photo and description! I believe I've had that or something similar at a restaurant here, El Sombrero. I don't know if that was what they called it or not.

When I was looking for eagle links, I found several with ducks, geese, ospreys, and hawks as well as eagles. I had the sound on and it certainly captured Farrah's attention!  ;D

Marilyne, I know that bread is bad for birds as it swells up inside after they eat it besides the mess. Bird feeding is against the rules here as that hard, similar to concrete died white droppings get not only on the balconies but also gets onto the building's rock walls.

Johann Mc

[font size=12]Hi, Friends!  I really wanted to get in here yesterday to wish everyone a Happy Valentine's Day, but just ran out of time and energy.  It would have been my only sister's 98th birthday.  She passed away in the fall of 2013 and I still miss her.  We were very close in spite of the 13 year difference in our ages.

I do wish a belated Happy Birthday to Gloria de and to Larry!  May you both have many more!  But sorry you have not been feeling well, Larry.  Hope you begin to feel better soon.

I had to get a steroid shot and an antibiotic two weeks ago for a lower respiratory thing.  Never ran any fever but I'm still coughing some.  My internist also gave me an inhaler to use and it really helps at bedtime to I don't cough through the night, but I still feel pretty draggy.  I'm doing all the meal preparation these days, Larry, and we have been eating out at least once a day.  Windell's tastes have changed and he doesn't care much for stews and soups these days.  His hearing and eyesight have deteriorated so much that he doesn't do much but watch sports on TV and often has trouble reading the score line at the bottom of the screen.

Shirley N., so sorry that you're having to deal with chemo!  My sister had chemo for colon cancer for a year in 1993 and she lived for 20 more years with no recurrence.

Interesting how we got our names!  I have no idea where my family found "Johann".  It was not a family name and I wish they had added an "a" or an "e" to it!

Always enjoy the anecdotes about your cats, Mary Ann and Angel!

Mars Gal, Jean, and Jackie, always glad to see your posts on here even if I don't always respond.  Senior Net friends are more and more special as the years go by!

Love you all![/f]

angelface555

Hi Johann! It was so nice to hear from you and to catch up a bit!

The link following is mainly for MarsGal and depicts a solar flare, (10 billion times more powerful than the earth's sun.); from a new young star located at the middle star just south of Orion's belt.

https://tinyurl.com/yyttdfgq

Vanilla-Jackie

Johann..
...yes, I believe this is our first ever communication with each other, I hope our first of many, thank you for acknowledging me and my posts...
I have to say, what a lovely avatar photo of both you and your hubby...I hear so many wonderful stories of times on the Senior Net forum, a tad before my time as I was not aware of it until until a year after it folded and then got mentioned on our S & F's forum when I became a new member the following year after Pat started our forum up, I know how much it is missed by our members, they have always talked good about it..

MarsGal

I've got one for you, Patricia. I just yesterday I discovered this site which puts out a weekly report on space related activities, This week it gives, among other things, a little more info about the MarCo cube satellites than I knew and info about the Orbex rockets being launched out of Scotland. Orbex is trying for a biofuel based rocket system and a 3D printed rocket engine. The webcast also mentions Rocket Lab which launches from several world sites including New Zealand. They are developing a battery based system. Both, as far as I know, only launch smallish rockets with light or small payloads like the cube satellites. https://www.youtube.com/user/TMRO/

For anyone interested in more about Rocket Lab and Orbex and their different approach to rocket fuel:
  https://www.rocketlabusa.com/
  https://orbex.space/

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking in again today.  I finally had to admit to myself yesterday that I am pretty sick and the chance of getting much better aren't very good.  I don't mean this to sound pessimist for I certainly have hope that I am wrong.  Yesterday I had Pat bring in from the garage the little rollator we have and I am finding it helpful.  Using my arms and legs seem to really tire me and bring on the panting from shortness of breath that sometimes I have trouble getting to stop.  I tell you this not to generate sympathy for myself but that you may better understand why I will probably seldom add any other general comments in these discussions.  If you see me check in each day you know I am still around.  I will read all of your postings each day.  Thank you for your prayers and thoughts.

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...
...in my book, it takes a gutsy person to admit how bad they are sick..and I know hearing it from you, you are sicker than we would like to believe you are...Stay strong in mind, if not in body...

FlaJean

Larry, will continue to send up prayers that you will be comfortable and able to rest. 

We are having a beautiful day.  It was overcast but I see that the sun is peeking out of the clouds.  The bluebirds have been in to get some mealworms.  I watched them while we were eating breakfast.

It seems strange but in this part of Florida we are on central time even 'tho the rest of Florida is on Eastern time.  I like central time but that has been the hardest adjustment to moving here.  For instance, I like to watch the evening news at 6:30, but half the time I miss it because here it comes on at 5:30 here.  You would think that after almost three years I should be used to it.

Anyway, it is a lovely day and I need to be getting ready and go get a few grocery items.

I enjoyed reading your note, Johann.  Mary Ann, I hope Tom is feeling better.  I always enjoy the posts of everyone and I always check in, even if I do so quietly.

Mary Ann

Larry, it is always good to hear from you, especially to know that you are still around.  You can let the rest of us comment and you can just sit back and read.

Johann, it's always good to hear from  you and I'm sorry to hear that you have not been well.  With Windell not being well, you don't need to join him.  I hope your new meds help you.

Jean, I sometimes wish we were on CST permanently.  Soon the time change will come and it'll be dark earlier again.  I don't mind the late light but I don't need it, either.  While I like to watch golf, I'm not a golfer and the scenery around here isn't that great so later hours don't mean a thing.  However, I go with the flow!

Patricia and MarsGal, I enjoy the videos about outer space, but I don't feel I have the mental capacity to learn about it. 

We seem to be having a so-so day, no sun, but no snow (so far!).

I got up this morning about 1:20, went back to bed, only to hear Tom come up the steps.  I didn't understand what he told me, so this morning I asked what was going on.  He said my indoor/outdoor thermometer (in this room) was beeping.  Evidently there is an alarm on the thing and I didn't hear it.  Now I'll have to investigate to either have it go off in the middle of the day, or turn it off entirely, if I can.  Since I did not hear it, it goes to show how bad my hearing is!

Tom is staying home for the most part today but I think he is feeling a bit better; he's not entirely well yet.  Some of his problem is stomach upset so I told him to eat eggs or something with milk.  He went out for breakfast so I have no idea what he ate - it usually is a Breakfast Burrito at Mc D's.  I think that is an egg and sausage wrapped in a taco shell (or something similar).

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Saturday Afternoon,  Everyone...

I know how hard it is to change ones schedule...
It has taken me years to get used to living
with limited vision.  But if I fall down enough,
or bump into enough things,  eventually,  I will
remember ...

I have come to realize through the years, 
that  my brain has a "mind" of it's own...
and sometimes even when my intentions are good,
my mind  (sub conscious?) lives in its own
reality...

Most of the time we are in sync.. 
But sometimes not so much and often
there is a battle that goes on the two.

I don't mean to make this sound depressing,
because for me,  it is not.  I kinda like
having more the one perspective on things!!! 
 :D  :coolsmiley:  :uglystupid2:

Good Day,  ALL !
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Good morning from a cloudy, yet warmer Interior. It's 9:57 AM here and I'm just starting my day. Farrah has eaten, watched some birds and is presenty napping from all the excitment!  ::)

MarsGal, here in the far North, it is generally cloudy all winter,(keeps the cold out) or it is summer daylight 24/7. So I don't see many stars here. I do know the sun and moon, and that is the extent of any celestial bodies generally shown. When the skies clear and it is in the midst of winter with those long nights, it is possible to see the stars but too cold out to remain long! Dora says it is the same out of the city and away from the bright lights.

But Space is as fascinating to me as history and or genetics as they all involve exploration and wonder. I subscribed to the YouTube channel and looked at all of your links.

Hi Jackie!

Larry, I was sad to see your post and hope you are getting the rest you need. We are glad to see you each time you post.

Jean, it isn't everyone who can breakfast with bluebirds! It reminds me of that song about "It's a beautiful day!"

MaryAnn, I'm glad Tom seems to be doing more resting and getting a bit better. It seems to me that there are more colds, cases of flu and bugs about in the spring and fall when the weather is more changeable. I have had sinus issues for a couple of weeks now since I came home from my last big supply run.

Alaska used to have three times zones, and then some business leaders advocated for one time zone to make it easier to do business with the lower 48. That to me has raised more issues for everyone else.

Sandy, I know what you mean with my hearing and balance issues.

Mary Ann

Sandy, I am not quite in your "ball park" as far as vision is concerned, but my vision is not good now and I find it very difficult to read.  On the other hand, to just "look" I seem to have no trouble, so if I do bump into something, it is not my vision but my balance.  In the condo, there are all sorts of things to grab onto - furniture and/or walls.  I did go to the mailbox yesterday with no trouble, but I know I bend over while walking any distance.  I have been told I would not go blind, but I also have been told there is nothing more my optometrist can do.  It isn't what I like, but it is what I have.  I'm thankful for small favors.  Which I why I ask for BOLD type by others, thank you!

Patricia, it is February and I understand February is the Flu month.  Michigan's Daylight time zone was created to coincide with New York when most business from the state was done with New York.  I do not believe that is true now but I doubt anyone wants to change things (maybe only me).  The west part of Michigan's UP is in the Central zone to agree with Wisconsin.

Mary Ann

angelface555

I agree, the bolded AND colored print is so easier to read! I also thank everyone who takes the time to bold and color their posts.

Marilyne

Larry - We are all thinking about you, and hoping that you become stronger and your breathing improves, as time passes.  Don't worry about posting messages in S&F.  Better that you concentrate on resting and getting some of your strength back.  I hope that you can enjoy your new Chromebook?

Mary Ann - Sorry that Tom is not feeling well. This has been a cold and damp Winter, which makes it harder to get over a cold or any other health issues. I'm sure he gets exposed to lots of different illnesses, when he is teaching at the school, or driving for Uber.  Some jobs require a lot more close interaction with people.

Jean - Good to see you here again today. I didn't realize that any part of Florida, was in the Central time zone?  I'm going to have to take a look at one of those time zone maps again.  I was thinking that our members who live in Alabama and Tennessee, were in the Eastern zone, but I guess I was wrong about that.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, Tom's illness seems to be more of a stomach upset and he is better, but I think not cured.  I'm not sure he ever feels tip top.  He has taken it as easy as is possible for him and except for going out for breakfast, he has stayed home.  I just noticed his car is outside the garage so I don't know if he has plans tonight or not.  I try to not preach, but I do like to know where he's gone and he's pretty good about telling me.

We are up to 35 degrees now which is warm compared to recent days.  The sun is shining.

Mary Ann

shirleyn

Help!!  I have been receiving about 200 emails from 3:30 this morning from this site.  I had not changed anything, so do not know how to stop them.  Anyone have any suggestions?

MarsGal

Uh oh, I'd better go look at my email again. I got one, just one, earlier today about a post of mine from early December that Oldiesman re-posted as a quote. I was scratching my head on that one.