Random Image

Bougainvillea blossom

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 09:07:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Television Today

Started by Marilyne, March 29, 2016, 06:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maryc

Marilyne,  Thanks for the warm thoughts.
    Brrrr, Jeanne.   It seems like Chicago has suffered this cold even longer than Western NY.   I'm doing ok here.... I speak with my children often and do  phone others who are alone and housebound because of the weather.   We commiserate and laugh together. Yesterday I cooked pork ribs with sauerkraut for my neighbor (who takes care of the snow in winter and the grass in summer) and myself.   He is a widower and always happy for a meal that he doesn't have to plan and/or cook.   Today was a cookie baking day for a memorial service at our church on Saturday.   There is plenty to occupy my time and my mind!  I've been trying to sort the pictures since the Holidays were over.   I vowed to get that done this winter.  If I don't keep busy,  I tend toward sad thoughts, so....it pays me to keep something going.
  SCFSue,  Your time in Maine sounds like good times and bad.   Your children were young and that's a good time but with having your husband away during stormy weather was trying, I'm sure.  From what I can determine Maine might be quite a different place to live as a newcomer.   I've known "Mainers" that were very warm and friendly and others who were quite reserved.  Having children in school probably was a help in getting acquainted.
  I watched " A Map of the World" on TV last evening.   I think I tried to read that book a while back but never really got into it.  Now, I understand why.   It was slow moving at the beginning and I had a little trouble relating to the main character.   Interesting plot but kind of a strange ending.
Mary C

Marilyne

Maryc - I read the book, Map of the World, many years ago, and  didn't like it at all.  I found it to be extremely depressing, sad, hopeless, etc.  When the movie came out, I decided not to watch it. I heard that they changed it, but I was not curious to find out how.  I read another book by Jane Hamilton, that I liked a lot.  It was called Disobedience, and was a good family story, with lots of humor.  The story takes place in the mid 1990's, during the beginning/early years of personal computers, email, etc.

I watched the TV reproduction of the Broadway musical Rent, yesterday.  AJ didn't want to see it, so I suffered through it alone! Talk about a depressing theme!  It takes place in NYC, in the 1990's, and is about the early years of the AIDES epidemic. It was such a sad time in history, and the story, as well as the music, certainly depicts the mood of the times.  My daughter saw the Broadway production, when it came to San Francisco, and loved it, so she was encouraging me to watch it.  The story definitely speaks to those who were young adults in the 1990's, which she was.

My other TV viewing this week, has been watching a new series on Netflix, called, The Kominsky Method, starring Michael Douglas and Alan Arkin.  It's listed as a comedy, but there is also lots of depth and pathos there. I've always like Alan Arkin, but have never been fond of Michael Douglas.  However, I'm changing my mind about him after watching the first couple of episodes.  He does a good job with this part, and is very likable.  I recommend it to all those of you who have Netflix.

Tomereader1

Marilyne, today begins "30 Days of Oscar" on TCM.  You should be in "hog heaven" with this, all the old Oscar nominated films.  Enjoy!

maryc

Marilyn,  I marked The Kominsky Method to look at sometime.  I agree the Douglas is not a fav. but I do Alan Arkin so would give it a chance.😏
Mary C

phyllis

I looked at "Rent" for a little while and then left.  As you said, too depressing and I choose not to be depressed.  I'm trying to look at things a little more positively.  Besides, the local, national, and international news is more than depressing enough.

I did watch a new version of Agatha Christie's "The ABC Murders" on Amazon Prime last night.  It has three episodes and John Malkovich played the part of Hercule Poirot.  It was pretty good, very dark, and I kept wondering what would have Agatha thought of the way they presented it.  ???  I enjoy Malkovich but I guess David Suchet will always be Poirot for me.
phyllis
Cary,NC

CallieOK

Marilyne,  thank you for mentioning "The Kominsky Method".  I watched 2 episodes last night and think I'm going to enjoy the series.  So glad it isn't another "cops/killings" or "legal/medical" show!

A friend and I are going to see the local university's production of "Hair" next Sunday.  When I told Miss Ellen (whose degree is from UCO), her first reaction was a doubtful "really??"  :) .
I told her my friend and I both like the songs but I hadn't realized they all came from this musical.
When I said I wondered how the nudity scenes would be handled, she said the Dean when she was there wouldn't allow any shows like this one but the new Dean is more open to doing "edgier" productions.

Supposed to get up to 70 degrees here - and then plunge back into the 30's on Thursday.  It's a wonder we don't all have pneumonia!!!

Marilyne

Tome - Yes, I love "30 Days of Oscar", and have already recorded more than I will likely watch.  I like to keep some of my favorites, ie, "The Best Years of our Lives", "Doctor Zhivago", "Out of Africa", and other winners, on my DVR all the time, in case I'm in the mood to watch any of them at any time.

Callie - I'm glad you're also watching "The Kominsky Method". Both Douglas and Arkin are very good, as the aging Hollywood actor and agent. I'm in awe of Alan Arkin, because he's my age! :o  Can't help being impressed with an 84 year old actor, who is still so good. Michael Douglas is ten years younger, at 74.   The only character in the series that I don't care for is the actress who plays Arkin's daughter, Phoebe.  Totally unrealistic, and too much "over the top" for me.  However, I do like the young woman who plays Michael D's daughter.

Phyllis - I stuck with "Rent", to the bitter end, only because my daughter was so anxious for me to see it. I knew she would ask me about certain characters, and I wanted to be prepared! ha ha   I was honest with her in some respects, and she does understand that certain musicals appeal to people in different generations.  "Rent" is very specific to young people in the 1990's.  I don't really think it will stand the test of time?  Musicals like Oklahoma, The Music Man, or Sound of Music, will never grow old, because they appeal to everyone.

Give "The Kominsky Method", a look, and I think you might like it. Only seven episodes of 1/2 hour each, so it's not as time consuming as most series.

Tomereader1

I tried, about the first ten minutes of "Rent" and deleted it.  Not my cup of tea,
so much "yelling" not singing. Don't think I could've sat thru an hour of that.

Lindancer

Tome and Phyllis, I also just watched Rent for a short time.  At my age  I generally watch more light entertainment, with happy endings

Callie, I did see Hair in a local summer playhouse many years ago.  some of the plays had great music, of course remember I was lots younger then  :) I did see Jesus Christ Superstar on Broadway, and then out here in Bellport playhouse.  still would see it again I love SOME of the music.  I did not like the movie version. Last year the TV one was just OK.Of course this is the opinion of a 95 year old lady :o

Callie, I did see Hair many years ago

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

JeanneP

Over the years I have tried to see all the Shows done by Andrew Lloyd Webber. Then purchased the Original Tracks of them. Some I saw in England and some here in US. But like Lindancer a little to old to be traveling out to them now. I would however go back to NY. if such as "Jesus Christ" LaMiss"would be there. Now "LaMiss" was running in my home City in UK last month.
Wonder if there will ever be such good shows done in the future?
JeanneP

Marilyne

Gloria de - I also saw "Hair", many years ago in San Francisco. It was very good, and had a happy ending. (which I can't say about "Rent", and other more recent musicals.)  I also saw "Jesus Christ Superstar" done by a local theater group, and I loved it! I also like the movie, and have the DVD.  Others we went to San Francisco to see, were "Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables".  Le Miz is my favorite of the more recent shows of the past 30 years -  even though it's not a happy musical.

Callie - I watched the season finale of "Mrs. Maisel" on Saturday night, and was on the edge of my seat, waiting to spot your granddaughter!  I thought you said she was in the background of the last or near the last scene of that final episode.  The last scene was with Mrs. M and her ex husband, but nobody in he background at all?  Give me an idea of what was happening in the scene that Ellen, was in?  I'll fast forward through it again, until I find her.  I'm determined! 8)

CallieOK

Marilyne,  I don't know how to tell you at what point in the show "Ellen's scene" comes on.  She fast-forwarded through to it when the family was together and we didn't have the sound on.
I do know it's a younger, blonde Mrs. Maisel and her boyfriend/s.o./husband/"whatever" in a diner. They start arguing, he leaves and she follows him.  The argument continues as he's standing in the street and she's still at the door of the diner.  There are three "women" on the sidewalk behind him (not very close). They're strolling along window-shopping and then stop and turn to watch the argument. Ellen is the middle one -and is standing right under the round orange sign.

Had to laugh at my friend who asked me to go to "Hair".  There was a write-up in the Sunday paper and, at church and lunch afterwards, she asked me if I'd read it (I had) and then asked 4 times if I still wanted to go.  I think she's afraid I'll get up and walk out at some point.  I would never do that - and I AM going. Sotherenowanyway!!!

Still enjoying "The Kominsky Method" but am hoping, now that he's "scored" with his lady friend, his prostate problem will no longer be the plot focus.
You had said you thought his friend's daughter was "over the top".  Occurred to me that the daughters are opposites kind of like their dads are - but in reverse.

Lindancer,  I'm 83 and remember when my husband was teaching high school in the 60's.  We didn't have the extremes but I did write a little verse about the time:

I'll never make it as a Mod,
No matter how I try to please.
I dig the clothes,
Don't mind the hair,
But incense makes me sneeze

Marilyne

Callie - I finally saw Ellen! I went back to the scene outside the diner, and "slow-motioned", until I spotted the round orange sign. Sure enough, there she was, under the sign!  I thought it was a fairly clear and good picture of her. I'm hoping that she will get a speaking part in Season #3.  If not in "Mrs. Maisel", then maybe in another show that's being shot in NYC. :thumbup:

I like your poem. :)   Do you have any others that you'd like to share with us?

CallieOK

Marilyne, glad you were able to find Ellen. She is basically a dancer so I doubt she'll be auditionig for roles in dramas.  I think the "extra" thing is an easy way to earn a bit of extra money in a theatre field.  Her roomie was also an extra in Mrs. M. but was in a different scene.

I was browsing channels last night and found a lovely movie about Beatrix Potter's life when her Peter Rabbit books were first accepted for publication. Renee Zellwiger was the lead.  I recognized two of the other actors but their nanes weren't familiar.

Lindancer

Callie, thanks for the cute poem

Marilyne

Callie - I've come to the end of both, Mrs. Maisel, and The Kominsky Method, so what now? :-\  AJ wants to start watching True Detective, but I may leave that one for him to watch alone. After enjoying two humorous shows, I don't feel ready yet for something serious. If you have any Netflix suggestions, let me know.

Gloria de - Lots of Academy Award winning movies are playing this month on TCM, that you might like. I noticed that Naughty Marietta, will be on on Feb.11th, but I don't remember the time? I know you like that one, and I do too - especially when they sing, "Ah, Sweet Mystery of Life".  The Best Years of Our Lives, is also playing some day next week.  It's my favorite movie from the 1940's.

CallieOK

Marilyne,  "One Day At A Time" starts a new season on Netflix on Feb. 8.  Rita Moreno is the grandma and she is hilarious.  I'm not liking "Grace and Frankie" this season.  Too "cutting edge" for my taste.
Haven't found any other series that sound interesting - and haven't taken the time to watch anything else.

The movie about Beatrix Potter that I mentioned was on the Metplex cable movie channel.  I didn't know I had it - must be part of a "package".  Haven't had time to see what's coming.

Author Susan Wittig Albert wrote a series of novels about B. Potter that begin at about the point the movie ended.  I plan to read them again "just because".

Marilyne

Callie - I haven't watched either, Grace and Frankie, or One Day A Time, but will eventually check them both out.  I like Rita Moreno, so it  will be fun to see her. I can't believe she is still working, at age 87!  That is remarkable!  I admire any actor who reaches 80, and continues to work. Clint Eastwood and William Shatner, are also 87. Alan Arkin and Maggie Smith, are both 84, and Jane Fonda is 81.

We did start watching True Detective, and it's good. When I discovered that the star of the show is the same actor who won an Academy Award a couple of years ago for Moonlight, and is nominated again this year, I decided it would be worth watching.  It is, but it's also very depressing.  Meryl Streep's daughter has a pretty good part in it also. (Mamie Gummer)

Marilyne

I've been watching a few of the Oscar winning movies from past years, on TCM, this month.  They have been doing their yearly, "Thirty days of Oscar",  as a prelude to the Academy Award show, which will be on ABC, Sunday night.  If I remember correctly, it's usually only Callie and  Gloria de who join me every year, in watching the show?  I look forward to  watching  the show every year,  even though I rarely see any of the nominated films until they are shown on TV.   

I  didn't watch as many of the past Oscar winners this year, as I usually do, but I did see a few of my favorites:  The Best Years of Our Lives, which I never tire of watching, and,  Ship of Fools, which is a wonderful movie, adapted from a book, by Katherine Anne Porter. I hope to get it at the library when I go tomorrow.  The movie that I watched yesterday, was  Lost Horizon, 1937, with Ronald Colman and Jane Wyatt and other familiar stars from that era. It's a fascinating fantasy type story, and a beautiful movie, adapted from the book by James Hilton.  The dialogue is wonderful, with lots of thought provoking "words of wisdom" from the various characters. That's another classic book that I would like to read some day.

Did anyone else watch any of the movies on, "Thirty Days of Oscar" on TCM this month, besides me?  if so, which ones did you see? 

SCFSue

I did watch the movie with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara--The Quiet Man.  It's a favorite and I've watched it several times.  I noticed that Mutiny on the Bounty was on last night, but started watching it and gave up--just not my cup of tea.  Marlon Brando (I think was the main character) and just overplayed the part.  I check out the movie schedules daily, but don't watch a lot of them.

Sue

Lindancer

[sI Just wrote a review, and it went puff. Will start again.

Marilyne, I plan on watching the
Academy Awards, Just to see what is going to happen. They plan not to have a host. NOW, If I was in charge I would do a Monologue of all the great past host. Like Bob H,Johnny C, Whoopi etc. I also plan at 9 ro watch Victoria, I do not think I will miss to much in that hour.
I enjoyed all the musicals from the past.

Marilyne

Gloria de - I'll think about you tonight while I'm watching the Academy Awards.  I hope Callie, will join us, and others here as well?  I haven't seen any of the movies this year, but I hope to watch a few over the next couple of months.  I'm most interested in A Star is Born.  I saw the earlier one with Judy Garland and James Mason, and also the one with Barbra Streisand, so I'd like to see how this one compares? Other than that, I just enjoy the show, and like the see the dresses that the women wear.

CallieOK

I plan to do the same as Gloria - start with The Oscars and then switch to Victoria unless I get disgusted with the Oscars, which is a definite possibility.  I am curious about the opening and how the stars will handle the 90 second rule about getting to the stage AND giving their speech.

I noticed a "season premiere" of Meet The Peetes is on The Hallmark Channel at the same time as Victoria.  I don't remember ever seeing any season of this show - so will record it.

I've finished watching all the episodes of Kominski Method and Grace and Frankie on Neflix.   Still have to finish One Day At A Time.  There are other shows on My List and also on my DVR but I tend to forget about them when an e-book I've had on Hold appears in my Loan List.

Might get to all of these if I could keep from dozing off !  :)

FlaJean

I was saying in a different forum that there isn't much I enjoyed on Netflix.  But there is a very good movie "Spotlight" that is a true story about the Boston newspaper investigating the Catholic Church priests regarding pedophiles.  The movie is very well done.  I watched it twice.  Presently the Pope is having meetings regarding this subject and it reminded me that the  investigation started in Boston.  It is one of the best true story movies I've seen.

Marilyne

Jean - I saw Spotlight, a couple of years ago, right after it was nominated for an award.  I thought it was excellent. Now that there is renewed controversy about the Catholic priests, I'd like to watch it again. 

I know you like movies based on true stories, and the one that won the Best Picture Oscar, this year - Green Book - should be an excellent one.  You probably already know this, but for those who aren't familiar with the movie . . . it's the true story of Don Shirley, a black concert and jazz piano player.  It's about a concert tour that he took during the 1960's, in the South.  I haven't seen it, but I plan to watch it as soon as it turns up in my movie selections.  I know it will cost $5.99, but that's small change, compared to what we would pay to see it in a movie theater.  I'm looking forward to it. 

Sasha

May I join in?

We've just bamboozled ourselves. When the DISH bill topped $150 without HBO, I bought a refurbed Apple TV; now we don't know what to buy. We tried YouTube to get local channels, and downloaded PBS, of course, but boyoboy are we up for advice.  :idiot2:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

Marilyne

Sasha - I wish I could help you with your Apple TV, but I know nothing at all about how it works?  I recall that someone in this folder mentioned having one, or that they're thinking of getting one? 
It may have been FlaJean?  I think she said they no longer have cable or the dish, but I'm not sure?   She usually posts here a couple of times a week, so I hope she sees your message.

FlaJean

We have Cox cable and Cox Internet WiFi.  We also use an Apple TV.  We always use Apple TV when watching Netflix and other programming such as YouTube.  Plus we use it for renting movies from ITunes Store or look at movies we have bought from iTunes.  There are many other ways in which to use your Apple TV such as looking at your personal photos that you have in your Photos App.  Also you can sign up for PBS (free).

My daughter doesn't have cable but does have Cox Internet and they just download what they want to see on Apple TV.  They pay for a subscription that gives them a lot of apps for a small fee.

JeanneP

My Comcast Package went up 28 dollars also January. I have TV. Internet and Wi Fi Nothing worth watching on TV and WiFi at the moment not working right. Just paying to much. My Home phone line also now it $38.40 month and Can't even get long distance. Fact it cost now if I am calling in Town. Use to be if 8 miles out. Between it, the Comcast Bill and then my Mobile. Crazy what costing. I look for all to just keep getting higher as most people have gotten to use to using Technology. For me I need to be dropping some. Going to see if my Roof Antenna still working for TV once weather changes. I get more out of reading and Library Free. Also watch DVD mostly. Right now TV turned off. Can't believe the are having all the mess on with Politics. One yesterday was from 9am to 5pm and on 5 different stations. Same will be on today. Not interesting to me at all.

JeanneP

Sasha

MarilynE, sorry. I phrased my question badly. I need to learn what you all subscribe to, you who use internet streaming. I'm trying to decide if Amazon Prime would be worthwhile.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein