Random Image

1b fe at 3 months

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Pets

Started by so_P_bubble, July 28, 2018, 12:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I can see where Freckles got her name.  Nice looking dog. 

Kendrick has been quite active this morning, maybe anticipating some catnip which he hasn't gotten yet.  He can always hope!

Mary Ann

angelface555

Marilyn I looked at Freckles's FB page, very interesting. I have an odd Facebook page. I had deleted my account when FB was getting hacked so much. Then I found I missed the rescue pages and information, so I signed up again.

Only this time I accept no friends or list any personal info. I only use it to check on rescue sites that I keep up with.

Farrah is very particular and is not interested in people food including tuna! She doesn't like wet food, only dry and catnip doesn't interest her. I was overdoing her treats and food, and she gained weight. She had gone from the desired weight of 9-12 pounds to 15.5 pounds and was very heavy to pick up. She had also stopped most play activity.

The vet strongly urged a diet, and she had an onset of periodontal disease which is common in older cats and dogs. Since she has gone on a diet dry food, (One-half cup daily rather than free feeding and no treats) she has lost weight and found her play spirit again. In the first week of March, she will go in, be put under and have her teeth cleaned, including some bad areas and perhaps some pulled. It's not going to be cheap, and it's not going to be easy for her or me.

Marilyne

Marilyn - I enjoyed looking through Freckles' Facebook page.  She is one busy dog, and is also very pretty!  The dogs I had in the past were all Springer Spaniels, exce[t for one adorable cock-a-poo.  Now, the only dogs I interact with belong to my son and his wife.  They have aways had Labradors, and just recently got a new puppy.

Patricia - I feel bad for Farrah, that she will be going through the teeth cleaning. I know that it's being done a lot now, and is recommended. I never considered having Winnie's teeth cleaned. He was quite old, by the time I heard about doing it, and I just didn't want to put him through it. As it turned out, he lived to be a little over 19 years old, so I don't think it would have made any difference in his life span. 

I understand that it's difficult for the cat to eat for awhile after the procedure. Kibble would probably be painful for Farrah to chew?  I'm sure your Vet will have ideas for interim food, like maybe beef or chicken broth? 

Marilyn

My Harry cat, only has 1 fang left and several teeth were pulled  the day I adopted him.  Leukemia really takes it's toll in the teeth, he has a bad one now that really bother;s him when he eats, he was on an antibiotic.  I don't think he should be put under to pull that tooth, as old as he is and with leukemia I wonder if he would even pull through the anesthetic it is very risky for him. He is such a lover I think he knows I saved his life.

I bought another litter box today and put it in the family room, no one ever goes in there except to walk through on the way to the garage.Fritz likes to hang out on the couch in there too.

angelface555

Farrah has bad breath and peridontal disease with all its effects. Its not a teeth cleaning per se but irradicating some peridontal disease issues and probable teeth pulling.

She doesn't like people food nor feline wet food so this will be interesting as well as her not feeling like eating. She's six years so the anesthesia hopefully won't be an issue.

Marilyn, if the tooth is bothering Harry, it could also have underlying issues such as my Farrah has had. I would discuss your concerns with his vet.

Marilyne, I have had two cats die due to my ignorance. Now I go once a year as well as other times if needed.

angelface555

From Today's Critter Room;

"Sweetie Pie will be spayed at NOAH tomorrow, Tuesday, Feb 19th. Due to logistics, Purrfect Pals has asked all cats being neutered or spayed to be taken up to PP Monday afternoon by 4 pm. Sweetie will be back in my care early evening on Tuesday. Adoption Day is not known yet or if she will be delivered directly to her adopter. Adoption questionnaires are still being accepted for her."

MarsGal

Finally! I saw the notice on the YouTube feed yesterday.

Sasha

It's time to reintroduce these cats.

Cree, who is our oldest, was rescued from a neighbor's shed in 2003. It was our plan to TTNR her, but when we released her she lay down beside us and refused to go. She's just now over a long bout with a facial abscess, but claims now to be young again.

Six more to go.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

Marilyne

Sasha - Cree is fortunate to have been adopted into your sanctuary.  I remember long ago, you described how the yard was set up, with an outdoor enclosure I think? Do all seven have access to the house, or just a few of them?  I'm looking forward to learning the names of all the other cats, and how they came to live in your sanctuary? (Is it still called "A Place in the Sun"?)

angelface555

I remember long ago that we had the option to sponsor one of your cats, Sasha and receive regular news about them. I enjoyed that part and even felt a "sense of ownership" for "my cat."  I'm not sure if that was on ThirdAge or SeniorNet?

angelface555

This is a link to a post from Amy in Photos about dogs;

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=150269

angelface555

Youtube video of bird whisting "If you're happy and you know it."

https://tinyurl.com/y4twq3x3

angelface555

New Africams, see the big five, lion, leopard, elephant, rhino,giraffe;

https://explore.org/livecams/africam/naledi-cat-eye

Sasha

MarilynE, six of them have house privileges, and the 7th comes in on very cold nights. That's Midi; more about her later.

Patricia, the only fault with my little adopt by internet scheme was that once in a while the adoptee would get adopted for real, making the online adopter very unhappy. Wish I could figure out which cat was "yours" ... info that was lost several computer crashes ago.

Toot is our second oldest, born in 2003; Cree spent a lot of time trying to play with her, but never had much luck. Toot, whose name was Cricket in her beginning, was adopted out once; we're told she hid under an electric recliner and never did come out (they gave her three days to acclimate: can you see my tongue in my cheek?). When we brought her home she went straight to her sand rolling spot, and rolled for ten straight minutes. Honest.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
- Albert Einstein

angelface555

Sasha, I only remember it was a she and I think that you had just found Cricket but she hadn't been renamed and she wasn't "mine" who was totally uninterested in being inside.

angelface555

First egg laid at Decorah North!

"On February 21, 2019, DNF laid her first egg at 3:23 PM Congratulations to Mr North and DNF!"

https://explore.org/livecams/bald-eagles/decorah-eagles-north-nest

Mary Ann

Of course, we can't see the egg, but with the closeup of "mother", I love the formation of her feathers.  They show a great pattern.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, you would love to be at Homer, Alaska as thousands of Bald Eagles live there close to the fishing boats. Around Thanksgiving, over three thousand overwintering Bald Eagles swarm the docks when the fleet comes in. A close city, Haines; has a yearly eagle festival in November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDkoPgXVZcc

We don't normally have Bald Eagles in the Interior unless one loses its way which occasionally happens. The type of Eagle that lives in the Interior is the Golden Eagle.

Mary Ann

Patricia, so many eagles.  Thanks for the link. I doubt we have bald eagles around here but the year I was in Alaska (in August) we were on Prince William Sound (south of Valdez - do I have the right body of water?) and someone pointed out there was an eagle in a tree we were passing.  I saw what I thought was a bird and pointed my camera toward it.  When I saw the picture, you could hardly see what it might be, but I enlarged the picture - and I had an eagle in my camera.  It probably was the first, maybe only, eagle I have ever seen.

We do have hawks around here.  There was the time a hawk landed on the railing of my deck and I rushed to get my camera and I took several shots.  Only to find I did not have any film in the camera (before digitals).

Mary Ann

angelface555

It is Prince William Sound. You have a good memory.

We have many species of owls and hawks in the forested  Interior, but I don't know all the species to recognize other than its a hawk. I know what you mean as when I was passing the railroad terminal one time and saw an owl that was huge!

It was a Great Northern owl and at least 3 to four feet. It simply swiveled its head almost totally around and looked at me like"So what?" I was flustered, took a number of shots, no digital then either; and when I got them back, they were all blurry!?!

Marilyne

Patricia - I loved that video of the bird singing and pecking to, If You're Happy and You Know it, Clap Your Hands! That is absolutely priceless, and I plan to send it to a few friends and both daughters, who will all appreciate it. I watched it three times, and realized that I was sitting here with a big smile on my face! ;D   

Sasha - Sounds like Toot was holding out, in hopes that she could return home to her family, and it worked.  Have you had many successful adoptions?  How long have you had your sanctuary now?  I remember it was way back in Senior Net, when you started.  That has to be about fifteen years ago? Longer than that, I guess - I just looked back at a previous post where you said Cree, was rescued from a neighbor's shed in 2003, which would be 16 years ago!

MarsGal

I've been keeping an eye on Sweetie Pie. Surprisingly, she isn't, at my last check, adopted yet. She seems to be cuddling up to John quite a bit now. John seems to like her a lot, too. I wonder who is going to be more upset when they must part ways.

angelface555

MarsGal

Sure is creative, isn't he. I particularly like the old jeans stuffed with old clothes.

Marilyn

Love the ideas on the video thanks for posting.

angelface555

This Youtube of a small bird bathing in his owner's cupped hands was posted by Amy in Photos.

https://www.chonday.com/5149/peacwatchju3/

so_P_bubble

angelface555

That little girl was cute with the finch hopping between the broccoli and her finger!

Farrah surprised me yesterday. She's been watching the multi flocks outside, and while I've had her, she's never chittered or more than watched birds steadily. Yesterday, a group massed on the two birches in front of my balcony, and a few perched on the railing and some flew down to investigate the balcony interior. Then she chittered once and seemed to abruptly stop as if fearful the small birds would hear.

For some lucky reason, this area is where the smaller flocks come to mass from their single-species flocks into the enormous multi flocks for winter. Then, usually in March, (They're early this year!); they arrive to break up the larger flocks back into the summer single-species flocks. Experts say its done for protection against predators as it's harder to pick out a single small bird when together in sequence, hundreds are on the move.

Sasha

Cat #3 some of you may remember from A Place in the Sun's newsletter. (Yes, MarilynE, we're still PitS). Sadé was the kit that Mamadi had to leave behind. Very few trustworthy people want to adopt black kittens, and NO ONE wants a black cat! She's here, just beginning to taper off, and even more demanding than ever. That was 2005.
- Albert Einstein

Marilyne

Sasha - Ever since we became Facebook friends, I've wondered what Pitscats meant? ???  Duh! Finally figured out the obvious. ::)  Just getting a bit slow in my old age!

Glad that Sade, found a good home, but sad that people don't want to adopt a  black cat or kitten.  I've had two black cats in my lifetime, and they were both very dear to me . . . Shadow and Midnight.  (Not very original names, I know). Are you still adopting homeless orphans, or do you have enough to handle for now?