Random Image

Shan2.jpg

Owner: MarsGal
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:22:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone... 
It is sunny here this morning on the
rocky coast of Maine.   

Larry..... 

Why don't you get your self a wheel chair so
that you can  get around with out falling
for a while.   

I know it is not fun to think that you must
have one,  but falling is  much worse and so
far your luck is holding and you have
not broke anything... (cept blood vessels)  ..

I am talking wheel chair and not scooter.. 
something that you can sit in and get around.
perhaps electric would work best.   

Just my thoughts for you to help
you heal ... 

Hugs
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I see that Paul, will be going under the bridge, today at 12:15 Duluth time.  That's 10:15 here, and I have a post-it  note on my computer screen, so that I will not forget.  It's now 7:45 here, so only a couple of hours.  I know that Paul's arrival or departure time is usually changed a couple of times, so I expect that will be the case today.

Larry - Sorry about your latest fall, but good that you didn't break anything.  Also good that you got a decent night's sleep, in spite of your bruised back and tailbone.  All we can do at this age, is keep moving forward, and hope that things will improve.

Good morning to Sandy, Jackie, and MarsGal.  Mars - I'll be looking forward to seeing a video or photos of the wedding.  Too bad that your sister could not attend, but I can understand that it would be a difficult and long trip, for someone who is not well.

Joy

Good morning.  It is a pretty sunny morning and supposed to be warm. But, scattered showers are predicted for every day, but just not in specific areas.  A nice week, all in all.   Then, rain for the week end, AGAIN !

Larry, I am so sorry that you fell again.  I know that I am so afraid of falling, and  I have to really watch myself when I go to turn around or to sit down.  The physical therapist will tell you to reach behind you for the chair before you sit down. I don't always remember to do that.  But, when you are unsteady on your feet, it is just so easy to make a quick step and loose your balance.
Tylenol is the only thing I can take, since I take Eliquis now, and it doesn't do hardly anything for me.  My back has been bothering me and I used to take Aleve and that worked so quick.   You will probably be hurting for a while now.

Phyllis, thank you for your birthday wishes.  I don't think I will be doing much of anything tomorrow.  All the celebrating seems to have occurred earlier.  But,  at this point,  it is just another day.  Where I live they do have a monthly birthday party for all the ones who have birthdays in each particular month.  But, that isn't until the end of the month. 

Lloyd, thank you for your birthday wishes, also. 

And, a hello to you, Mary Ann, Marilyne, Mars Gal, Sandy,  and the two Gloria's and Jenny,  and all the other morning friends.

Have a good Monday.

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

Good morning from the Interior where we're now at 38 with a high today posted at 50.It has been cooler this week, cloudy with rain and I can only sit for limited periods. Next week we're expected to be back in the seventies, but we'll wait and see.

Larry, I'm so sorry to hear about your new fall and bruising. That is one reason I'm grateful for my GPS equipped Medi- Alert/lifeline, as I have fallen not only backward and forward but also sideways. Yesterday I had to go out for the first of the month business and had to take a taxi both ways as well a cart in the store. This was interesting as I almost took out several displays and a couple of pedestrians. I know it is nothing related to your health issues, but I can relate.

The doctor said it isn't Meniere's disease, just a bad period for my arthritis and barometric pressure but in a small way, I can relate. Regarding the wheelchair suggestion, it may help with your tiredness as well as balance. Alan has offered to pay for a wheelchair rental as I cannot presently bend over or pick anything up off the floor. I'm debating the idea, and perhaps you might think of it too.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I hope you had better luck seeing Paul than I did.  My cam screen went dark on whichever cam I chose and I finally caught up with Paul in the harbor cam.  I missed the good part of seeing the ship.

Patricia, I had to laugh at your excursion in the store with the cart.  It reminded me of Norm's story about being in the grocery section and using a cart for the first time.  Of course, not everything he mentioned really happened, but he made a good story of it. 

I'm going to see if I can see anything on the St Clair River.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy...
...did I forget to wish you Happy Birthday? I have got your birthday down for tomorrow, the same day of my Richards funeral - creamation...
...His sister ( 83 ) has arrived down here today, staying overnight in boardings-guest house, just come round and paid me a friendly visit...she is with her hubby and daughter, and they will be going back home tomorrow.....

My daughter and grandson are making their journey in the early hours of tomorrow morning baring in mind the journey could take anything from 3 & a half to 4 & a half hours...4 busy motorways and not one motorway in Dorset, just a 30 plus mile drive to reach my home where the hearse will be coming to...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, I'm glad to hear that Richard's sister arrived and it sounds as if you had a civil visit.  I hope your family gets there in time what with all of the driving they must do.  Not only that, I hope you have nice weather.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Jackie - I'm glad that Richard's sister arrived and was cordial, and also glad that your daughter and grandson will be there for the funeral service. It will good to see your family after such a long time.  I'll be thinking about you tomorrow, and will be interested in hearing about the day.

Denver

Monday has been busy for us.....

MARILYNE, we are hoping our Avalanche can pull out a win tonight from your Sharks🙏🙏

LARRY, I am so sorry to read about another fall for you😢😢  Falls happen so quickly even when we are being as careful as can be🦋

JOY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISHES 🎂🎂

JACKIE, I will certainly be thinking about you as your family gathers to say goodbye to Richard.  Good to read the sister and family came by to say hello.  I wish your grandson and daughter a safe drive to and from Dorset.

PATRICIA, certainly glad you managed to NOT knock into the display with your cart🤣🤣

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

angelface555

Jenny I knocked into more than one, just not hard enough to knock them over. I was going in fits and starts so people were able to jump out of my way!   :-[

There's a reason why I have no driver's license!

My younger sister just returned from a ten day trip to China and sent me these photos.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=154754

Lindancer

Patricia, I enjoyed your pictures. thanks for posting
Larry, I am so sorry you fell again

Marilyne, my husband was and Islander fan, when they planed around here he always went to the games. He would be proud to see they are making a comeback

Jackie, thinking about with extra hugs and prays

Mary Ann, sorry that Tom does not feel up to par. I think once we all have a week of nice weather we will eel better

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

FlaJean

Jackie, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow.  Glad your visit with Richard's sister was pleasant and hope the same for tomorrow with your daughter and grandson.

Patricia, with another visit or two at the market you will be driving like a pro.  Sure hope you will be feeling better soon.

Larry, so sorry to hear about another fall.  Thank goodness you haven't broken any bones.

Mary Ann, is Tom feeling better?  We didn't get our expected rain and had a nice warm day.

CallieOK

A late Good Evening, Bait and Tacklers,

I haven't had time to sit and watch for boats the past few days but have caught a few coming and going at various places on the Duluth web cams.  Also seeing some fishing boats zipping through the harbor.

The New York harbor web cams have been covered with rain most of the times I've checked them.  Granddaughter in NYC says it's been "sloppy wet" there.

Patricia,  the pictures your sister took in China are lovely.  Had to smile a bit at your escapade with the grocery cart.
A good friend of mine who lives in a retirement home is one of several who use a scooter to get around the halls, etc.  She said that, after someone ran over a staff member's foot, there was what she laughingly called a "driver's education class" for the scooter users.  ;)

Jenny, so good that Michelle was able to be a part of the family fun watching the Avalanche.

Jackie, I join the others who will be thinking of you during this day for honoring and remembering Richard. Maybe this will be the beginning of better family relationships.

Time to do a bit of  :study: and then :sleepy:

MarsGal

Patricia, your sister's pictures are very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Also, your comment about the Dr. saying that your falls have to do with the arthritis. I haven't taken any dives lately, but I did notice that I am becoming a bit wobbly after a while when I am doing yardwork, most particularly after mowing for a bit. My yard is not helping with all the mini-potholes it has acquired. This year I bought some bags of top soil to fill in the worst of them.

Jackie
, I am thinking of you this morning and wish you well.

Joy

Good morning. Started out as foggy, but the sun is beginning to show up.

Jackie, I want to let you know that I certainly will be thinking of you today.  I am so glad that some of Richard's family did come to join you for his service and that meeting with you went well.  Hope that your grandson and family arrived safely. I know it will be a difficult day for you.  But all of our thoughts will be with you.

Thanks for all the nice birthday wishes.  Means so much to me to have such special friends.

Patricia, I will have to go back and look at your sister's pictures from China.

I hope everyone will have a great day.

Joy

BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, Happy Official Birthday. 

Jackie, it is afternoon in England now, so I hope all has gone well for you today.  Maybe a few fences can be mended by meeting in person.  I know we'll be anxious on this side of the pond to hear about Richard's funeral and your being with his family and yours.

Tom took his car to the dealership to have them look at what is causing the jerks when he starts up.  He had thought it was a dirty valve, but in talking with the people, they said it could be in the gas line.  I hope it isn't too costly.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We are to be mostly cloudy with some rain chances through out the day and a high of around 84 late this afternoon.  Yesterday was pretty much of a lost day for me as spent all of it, except about 30 minutes here in my office, sitting in my easy chair with heat to my lower back for a couple of minutes and then off and then again on throughout the part of the day I wasn't laying down.  I had a more comfortable night last night and was able to sleep on my back part of the night.  I did get my new gripper socks yesterday afternoon and really like them.  I won't be slipping in them and they will serve the same purpose as my house slippers.  I hope spend most of the morning here in my office as have several things I want to check out.  There is nothing else on the schedule for today.  One of the men in my Sunday School class came by yesterday with a quart and half of chicken noodle soup he had made and then sat down for a few minutes and we visited.  We had his soup as our supper last evening and it was very good.

Mary Ann, I am doing everything I can think of to avoid a further fall.  I move very slowly now.  In many ways I have become that little old man in a manner of just over 4 months.  I hope your sorting project went well yesterday and that Tom continues to get stronger. 

Thanks Jackie but don't be worrying about me as it will be what it is and that is OK as am adjusting to it a little better each day.  Thinking and praying for you today. 

Sandy, one of my To Do items today is to check out wheelchairs.  My son has a big old one that I have asked him to bring back out.  I probably won't use it right now as need to use my legs as much as I can and my office rearrangement will assure my desk chair won't slide out from under me and that I can always have hold of each arm of the chair before I sit down as it back us against the wing on my desk.  Right now the walker makes me feel secure in my walking and hope to get a new one with hand brakes and a wider seat after I see my GP next week.  I appreciate your thoughts. 

Marilyne, we just have to deal with whatever life deals us and keep a positive attitude. 

Joy, I make a quarter turn and move the rollator and no sudden movements that might through me off balance. I was reaching behind me for the arm of the chair but it turned on me and I lost my balance.  That is not going to happen again.  Tylenol is the only thing I can take also. 

Patricia, on my list is to check out lifeline alerts and want one that is waterproof.  I had been thinking about it and mentioned it to Pat yesterday and she said she had also been thinking about it. I think she would be more willing to leave me and not hurry to get back when she leaves the house and would get out more.  I have caught myself several times that I could have fallen sideways or forward so try to keep hold of something solid all the time I am on my feet.  I have used the riding carts for several years now but when I first started I clipped a few displays trying to turn a corner.  Do you have grocery cart of some kind at your apartment to get your purchases up to your apartment.  Do you have a gripper to get things off the floor without having to bend over?  We have several and I just put one on my night table. 

Jenny, I am sure you are very careful when standing on your feet.  We need to be very deliberate with our movements. 

Jean, I am also so thankful for no broken bones.  Maybe all of the calcium I happen for many years helped save me but don't want to tempt faith.

Callie, I have often felt they need mirrors at the end of the rows where you can't see over the displays.  I try to just slowly go out of the grocery isles.

MarGal, I am concerned about you doing the yard work.  Do you use a riding mower.  Holes in a yard can be so dangerous.  I have the most terrible yard I have ever had and don't expect to step on it again. All of the yards in our development had the same situation as the builder didn't prepare the bare yard before the sod was laid.

Sandy

Good Morning from the cloudy
and cool rocky coast of Maine.   Not so much sun today but the weather is warming up. 
I am not complaining because there will
be enough time for that when the HOT weather arrives
this Summer.  Usually starting in June. 

Larry,  I am glad to see that you do have
access to a wheel chair.   Hopefully it will
be one that you can move around with.   Even though
you may have to rearrange your furniture to accommodate
it. 

Making the decision to use one must really
be difficult for you.   
But try to keep in mind that your passage through the next few years will be easier for you when you do not have to worry so much about falling,  and can sit and enjoy your daily duties with out having to heal from broken bones.   

This is what I would worry about.   I bet that
there are exercises that you could do sitting in chair that would keep your leg muscles in shape.
Just a thought,  Larry.    You know yourself
what  you need to do.   Good Luck  and take care.

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Jackie - It's early morning here, only 7:30.  I think there is an eight hour time difference from here to England, so Richard's funeral service is over now, and most of the friends and family, have likely returned home.  I know it was a lovely service, very well planned. We're looking forward to hearing about it.

It's still overcast, windy and cool here today. I don't plan to go anywhere, and don't feel up to doing anything productive around the house.  Looks like it may be one of those, reading, watching TV, and looking at webcam days.

Jenny - Two very evenly matched hockey teams! That was quite a game last night . . . now a 3-3 tie!  Of course I'm rooting for our SHARKS, but if the AV's win, I would be okay with it.  Both teams contain great players, and a nice group of men overall!  Either one is deserving of moving forward and winning the Stanley Cup.

Mary Ann

Larry, as we get older and can't do the things we used to do automatically, it is hard to accept that we are changing.  I think you are doing very well in trying to prevent a fall by hanging onto things.  That was something Norm and I would mention - "good old wall".  If I go to the mailbox, I walk to the side of the road, then look both ways before I go out onto and across the road.  It irks me, like everyone else, that I can't do what I used to do, or in the same manner, and I am glad to accept Tom's help.  And it seems he anticipates what help I might need. 

I've probably told this before - a former neighbor had a lifeline alert.  I was #5 on the list to be called.  One day a sheriff's deputy appeared at my door.  It seems they had an alarm from this neighbor's alert.  I had seen her sister there previously.  It turned out that the sister did not like the alert and as she was only going to leave something and not stay, she did not punch the numbers; she was done and gone.  But the alarm went off anyway.  I told the deputy what I had noted and they left.  You have to train everyone, don't you!

Tom got a bath chair for me for when in the tub and it is not working out at all, but I do use it sometime during my shower.  I stand up part of the time with my hand on the grab bar.  Usually it is when I wash my hair that I sit on the chair and let the water spray on my head. 

As someone else said - these are the Golden Years.  NOT! 

It's starting out to be a nice day, however, our temp is only 49 degrees.  The sun is shining, so it's a nice day!

Mary Ann

angelface555

"Have you ever dialed back a missed call on your cell phone thinking it might be a client or friend? Next time, resist the urge. If you don't recognize the number, you could end up a victim of the 'One Ring' phone scam.

Calls appear to come from a number in the U.S., but when you call the number back, you'll be connected to a premium phone service located outside of the United States that levies a large upfront charge.

Find out more about the 'One Ring' phone scam and how to block unwanted calls in our story on Techlicious."

FCC Warns Against Rising 'One Ring' Phone Scam
by Suzanne Kantra on May 07, 2019

https://www.techlicious.com/blog/fcc-warns-against-one-ring-phone-scam/?utm_source=Techlicious+Newsletter&utm_campaign=a9d5650ad3-&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5ee95b0b14-a9d5650ad3-189582833

Vanilla-Jackie

Richards funeral went perfect today...My daughter and grandson were with me...There was a good turnout...The hearse and limousine came to my home, I sat in front with the lovely driver and was well looked after in such comfort....even took us after the service the short distance to the church hall, where two of my lovely friends laid on a table buffet of sandwiches, pork pie, quiches and small cakes, cups of teas and coffee's...then the limousine brought us back home...Even the weather was dry, warm and sunny...I stood up to say a list of positives about Richard...the lovely Celebrant lady took my hand and helped me up the steps...The lovely funeral director who has been constantly by my side ( he took me to register Richards death and two days later took me to his chapel of rest ) even complemented me on how lovely I looked in what I was wearing...I cant praise them both up enough, they have been marvellous to me, and my friends who organised the church hall foodstuffs...I was so proud to show off my tall and handsome grandson ( 30 ) and my daughter ( 50 in September ) I am confident that this has patched up-mended our long rift, everything was perfect...my daughter at one point even took my hand as the final chapter was spoken and the see-through curtain closed around him- the coffin......

Joy

Mary Ann, thank you for the "official" birthday wishes.  So far, it has been just another day.  My son did call and told me he is bringing dessert.  I think I am going to call out and get pizza. I love Domino's pizza, so that should make for a good birthday dinner. 

Larry, It sounds like you are getting everything set up so that you will be safe whatever you do. I have one of the medical alert buttons, but, thankfully, have never had to use it.

I have been thinking about Jackie and hope everything has turned out well with the funeral plans.  Sure hope no one caused any problems for her.  I am sure it has been a difficult day for her.

I had wanted to go sit outside as it looks so nice, but I have had several phone calls from a couple friends who I haven't heard from for a long time and we talked and talked. I still haven't even gotten any lunch.  Will wait for my pizza now.

I also need to finish cleaning up in the kitchen.  Guess I will just forget about going outside.  It takes me so long to get going in the morning, that I wind up wasting time that I could  have been doing a few chores.  But, everything will wait until I get around to it.

Hope everyone will have a nice evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy...
...my post is above, no, no complications....My daughter and grandson are now safely reached back home after a three & a half hour...four motorways journey which covers the busy Heathrow motorway...

Denver

🎂 HAPPY BIRTHDAY 🎂
        🎈 J O Y  🎈

Mostly cloudy here this morning.....more rain and snow is headed our way😢😢

Our youngest son and his wife are currently flying home to Denver after spending  a few days in Cancun, attending a gathering of our DIL'S fellow employees.  They will stop by and pick up Oliver the Doodle on their way home as he has been staying with us. 

JACKIE, my thoughts have been with you.  I do hope everyone arrived safely and you all made it to the service safely in the family car.  I do hope many of the neighbors turned out for the service as well.  I am sure it is all over now and you are probably on your own.  Just know that we are all here for you, even though miles apart, we can support you and help you move forward. 

Our local hockey team won last night so we will be meeting one more time to see if Marilyne's  team, The San José Sharks or my Avalanche will be moving on 🥰  MARILYNE, I feel the same way you expressed.  One of us will move forward and either way I will support either one as I think they are both a good team with some very talented players. 

CAROL, I hope you heard from your traveling friends? I know you and Don are following Our Avalanche as well!

MARYANN, I hope Tom got his car fixed without breaking the bank!

PATRICIA, I have to tell you the more I thought about you and your "scooter" escapade the funnier it got to me!  I do a pretty good job of getting around on one, when needed, but they can be a challenge.

I wish you all a good rest of your day.

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

Joy

Jackie, we both were posting messages at the same time.

I just had to come back in and tell you how happy I am that the sad day turned into such a nice gathering.  Sounds like everything went perfect.  It brought tears to my eyes when you  wrote that you think your relationship with you daughter has been mended.  Sad that it had to be the way it turned out, but you must feel so blessed that she has cone around to you. I can imagine how you felt when she took your hand.  Sometimes good things will outweigh the bad. And, it sounds like that happened to you today.  Maybe this will bring a big change to your life, now. 

Thank you for sharing your day with us.

JENNY, you sneaked in on me, also. Thanks for the birthday greetings.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Jackie, thank you for telling us of your day and the closeness you felt to your family.  I hope things continue to go in a positive direction.  You have mentioned moving back to your former home; does your daughter live in that same area? 

Joy, your birthday day wasn't quite as quiet as mine was - and I'm glad.  Because we were all getting together the following Saturday, we did nothing (NOTHING!) on my birthday.  I had a phone call from Tom's former wife and one from Dot.  Tom attended a Bible study with Robin that evening and went to supper with her!  I really had mixed emotions about it but I did know the reason.  And I did have a nice celebration on that Saturday. 

Jenny, you have such a busy life and busy family.  Even with Michele's illness activities go on.  I think it is good for the young kids because it can keep their minds off their mother's illness. 

Jenny, I haven't heard how much Tom's car is costing to get fixed.  Theoretically it is a loan, but a guy who doesn't have much money can't pay back a large loan.  He does a lot for me and I'm not worrying about it.  I'm furnishing him a home and he's keeping me in my own home.  Tit for tat!

Mary Ann

Denver

JACKIE, I am sitting here with tears of joy as I read your post about the service for Richard.  It sounded just perfect and I am pleased that everyone stepped up and made you proud of the entire celebration of life.  I am sure Richard was proud of YOU for all you did as he looked down at all of you celebrating his life.

HUGS TO YOU,

Jenny
🦋 Jenny

CallieOK

Jackie, how wonderful to read that everything went so well today - particularly with your family.

Tomereader1

Jackie, I am so glad that everything went so perfectly for you at Richard's service.  I certainly am impressed by the funeral director's special care of you during this process; I know it made things a bit easier for you.  Glad the family rift seems repaired.  Bless you, dear Jackie.