Random Image

April Snow 008.jpg

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:00:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Good Morning from the overcast and
cool, rocky coast of Maine.
No sunny or better weather in sight. 
To bad because May is usually a
great month weather wise ....
But not this year. 

Good to see that you are feeling better
today,  Larry,  and that Pat has found
a way to wear her hair that is easier
for her to deal with.   

I cut my own hair,  twice and year,
and yesterday I did my Spring Cut.

Cutting my own hair is a mild stone for me,
since I lost my vision a few years back. 
But I manage to do it and it usually comes
out pretty good.    It is short and easy
to take care of too.  But of course I am
always a little bit anxious when attempting
to cut it myself.   Yesterday was a good day
for hair cutting. 

Have a good day,  Everyone..
Sandy 
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Larry, I don't know that recycling is required here (county) but it is encouraged.  Recycling is included in the cost of trash pickup to the Association and tubs are furnished.  Our trash pickup is included in the cost of our individual monthly fees to the Association.  We have a big box (10 ream size) in the kitchen where we put our recycle stuff.  i know from the article we will have to revamp what we recycle.  I am sure the neatniks would not approve, but we don't have to go to the garage with stuff this way. 

I'm glad to read that you are feeling better, Larry.  Condolences to Scott on the loss of his dog and I hope his cat sticks around a while.  Kendrick is nearly six and I talk to him like he understands what I am saying.  While he really is Annie's cat, he doesn't know it.  He thinks he is mine and I guess he is by now.  He's a good boy!

I had a time out while Tom and I went to lunch at the Score.  The Score is the place where they put out palm trees and beach sand and we eat outside in the summer.  The waitress said it would be the end of the month before they're set up outside.

I had half a hamburger.  I have a hard time eating out and often do get a sandwich but this burger was large and slippery enough that I cut it in half and I'll eat the rest later. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Another Good Morning greeting.  Still morning here, 11:00 AM.  I actually accomplished quite a lot since I posted a couple of hours ago: All shredding is done, The kitchen is sparkling, and the recycling items are clean and in their respective boxes.  I have my doubts as to whether these items are actually recycled, but nonetheless, I continue to fill the boxes every week, in hopes that my efforts are not in vain.

Larry, Good news, that you're feeling better today.  You didn't say if the kidney doc you saw on Wednesday put you on a different medicine? 
I'm sorry to hear about Scott's dog.  It is such a sad and traumatic experience, to have to take a beloved dog or cat to the vet for the last time.  No matter how many times you suffer through it over the years, it never gets any easier.  In fact, it gets harder, in my opinion. 

Sandy, Good for you, being able to put your own hair!  I am guessing that you likely have thick hair with a lot of body?  When you have nice quality of hair, it's easier to take care of yourself.  I do trim my bangs between hair cutting appointments, but that's it.

Mary Ann - I clicked through all the cams before I checked in here, and absolutely nothing happening on any of them.  It sure does look cold at Marine City, Duluth, The Soo, and NYC!  I see that Paul, will be at Duluth, late on Sunday - Mother's Day. I checked the time, and if he's on time, it will be when we're at our son and dil's house for dinner.  So looks like I'll miss Paul, once again. :( 

Sandy

My hair is much better today
than it was when I was growing up.   It is salt
and pepper now with most of the Salt on the sides
and top and alot of pepper underneath and down under to the back.   The top is Silver..  I started cutting my own hair years ago because I never could find a professional that knew how to cut it.  My hair is straight and I do use thinning shears to help it to have more body.   I use good shears that are very
sharp. 

I have learned many a painful lesson
through the years by snipping my own skin
on my fingers.   (Now I wrap them with tape
when I use the sharpest shears)  :uglystupid2:

I also wear a lot of hats,  so I
don't fear making a mistake (which
SI have a few times..

Hats hide everything !!! And keep the sun off. 

:knuppel2:  :knuppel2:  :knuppel2:

― Carl Sagan

MarsGal

Larry, I'd like to add my voice to those already expressing their sorrow for the loss of Scott's dog. I too wish that his cat gets better.

I haven't much to say for today. I just spent most of it puttering around the house or on the computer. I did check in on the Helsinki live web cam and found that the building I was most curious about is a yacht club. I should have guessed, what with all the boats around. I also took a peek at Hvar, Croatia this morning. and when the webcam loaded, it revealed an up close shot of a cruise liner and passengers disembarking onto a shuttle for the shore. The area was just "polluted" with boats of various kinds and sizes, more than I had ever seen there before. Not only that, I actually,for the first time that I've checked on the site, saw people walking around on the island that was once used to quarantine new arrivals ages ago.

Joy

Just getting back here.  I was here earlier and nobody had written anything since I wrote a message last evening.  Kind of slow, but nice to see some of you have been in here.

Larry, I was happy to see that you felt better and felt up to writing a nice message.  I, too, am sorry about Scott having to put his dog down.  That is always a painful thing to have to do.  But, glad that he was able to help Pat and that kind of helped him kind of get through a bad time.

It has been a kind of cloudy day, but no rain as was predicted. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and then, rain on Sunday.  Not sure what the temperature outside is.  I was going to go down and sit out for a while, but got to watching a movie and then had a little nap.

Mary Ann, I was watching the Home Show on the Hallmark channel and they had a guest who was talking about Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor, Michigan.  I looked up the website and WOW ! what a place.  Every kind of deli sandwiches, salads, bread, bagels that you could ask for.  Were you ever there?  It would take you an hour just to read the menu. People lined up for a long time to order their meal.  All the different kinds of breads sound delicious. I just love crusty, good bread.  Sure looked like an interesting place to eat at.

According to the weatherman on the 5 o'clock news, there has been lots of rain around, but so far, we have not had any in my area.  Almost looks like the sun is trying to come out. Hope it stays away.

Hope everyone has had a nice day and will enjoy your evening.

Joy

I have been kind of lazy today, although I do feel ok.  Just was busy yesterday and not much to do today.

And, I did have a little nap.  And, now, it is getting onto supper time. 
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I have heard of Zingerman's but I haven't been there.  I may have had a sandwich from there but I'm not sure about that.  Ann Arbor is the home of the U of MI and with college students, I am sure Zingerman's has a going business.  In July of each year  there is an outdoor art show in AA and my retiree friends and I used to drive there to see what had our names on them.  I have handmade things - ceramics - but I can't tell you if I got them there or not. 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

I wrote a post but accidentally hit something and everything came up with coding.  I don't know what I did but couldn't seem to backtrack and gave it up for a loss.

We had a lovely soft rain last night.  I could hear it on the skylight.   Today was nice and sunny.  Got a few groceries and that is about it.  The kids will be over on Sunday to play dominoes.  My daughter said they will bring lunch but I think I am going to bake a quiche tomorrow.  I've never made one but if it looks good she won't have to bother.

I hope everyone has had a nice day.  Lots of beautiful Mothers' Day cards in the card folder.  Each one so special in its own way.

FlaJean

I just saw Paul leaving Marine City.  First time I have been lucky on that sight. 7:30 CDT

Mary Ann

Jean, I watched Paul go north at Marine City too.

I had something similar to what you had when you lost your post.  I don't recall hitting the Airplane button, but when I touched it on purpose, it went off.  "Off" is OK but I think I was reaching for the minus (-) sign rnd probably accidentally hit the Airplane key.  On my computer the Airplane key is above the + sign.  I'm a touch typist but there are certain keys I can't reach without looking for them.

Dot is going to pick me up at 10 am tomorrow to go to an 11 am funeral.  I usually shower and wash my hair Saturday morning, but I did that tonight.  My hair should be dry by 10 pm. 

Tom and I ate out this noon and I brought half of my hamburger home and ate it for supper.  I don't know why but it did not set good.  I'm not sick, just a bit uncomfortable.  It will pass by the time I go to bed.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Good Morning everyone!

I feel a bit dull this morning and have a slight headache. UT, it looks like we are actually getting some sun soon. I hope it sticks around for a while. Speaking of sun, I got to watch the sun rise over the Canadian border at Marine City this morning. Lovely.

I too saw the Paul last evening. It was the last of four ships in short order, and knowing it was coming up the channel, I waited, hoping it wouldn't get too dark before the ship passed. At the moment I can only think of two of the ships names, Turvaq and Whitefish Bay.

So, today, I have nothing specific on the agenda, but if it stays sunny, I may go out and do some more yardwork, and I could do a load of laundry. It is about 53 this morning and is not supposed to get over 70 today. 

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone from the sunny
but cool and partly cloudy, rocky
coast of Maine. 

Regarding Recycling.   
Here in my building, they do not
encourage recycling,  as it  has not
been set up  (yet) to be able to do that.

I am in the process of switching from
regular trash bags to the new green ones
that are suppose to be biodegradable.  I
am doing this slowly as my old ones run
out.   Green is the new me! 

Our grocery stores now encourage
using our own bags which have
been recycled from plastic refuge. 
I have many of these.   Where I have my
groceries picked up they use brown paper
bags to transport my order. 

So slowly I am changing to be able to
do my part to the greening of America.

It is so sad when we lose a beloved
animal.

Another weekend is upon us. 
Everyone,  enjoy your day as much
as possible.

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, I have four fabric bags for my groceries and I used them and Tom used them when we did the shopping in person.  Now that we order online and Tom picks up the groceries we get paper bags and we use those for other purposes.  If we had a lot of recycles in the box, I had been putting the excess in a plastic bag.  I found that is a no-no and those items are put in the trash by the workers so I will not do that again.  I know that different areas have different rules so what I do may not apply to others. 

It is a fair-to-middling day with a temperature of 50 degrees so far.  I think rain is not in the forecast and we may get up to 60 degrees.

At 9:40 am I am ready to be picked up by Dot at 10 am.  Tom fixed me some French toast but I told him I'd save it for after the funeral.  I understand refreshments will be cake, maybe ice cream, so I'll want something sturdier than cake.  We'll see how I feel about it when I get home.  Dot and I may go out for something to eat, too.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Larry Hanna...quoting: " Jackie, I hope you are doing OK.  I know one has to decompress from what you have experience the last couple of weeks.."

Larry Hanna...
...it is the solicitor and home bills I now have to deal with...I just want the next few months to pass...as if the last month hasn't been hard enough already...Is there really light at the end of this long, sad  and heartbreaking tunnel I am finding I am in...this tunnel I never expected to find myself in just over a month ago?
" There is no present like the time "

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking in today.  I had a rough night with no sleep and not feeling good today.

Marilyne, I will answer your question regarding my appointment with the kidney doctor.  He was not happy with the test results on the sodium or the protein.  So he has prescribed salt tablets and emphasized I really need to eat more protein which should be at least 50 grams a day.  Yesterday at Costco Pat found some new Protein drink that has 30 grams of protein.  It is peaches and cream flavor and is very good.  I had the first one of them a little while ago.  She also found some new nutritional bars for me that have 21 grams of protein and ate of of those in a chocolate chip cookie dough flavor.  I hope these things will help me get more energy.

wjoan

Mornin all.  Supposed to be in the mid 90's  here today.  Can only imagine what Summer will be like.  GADS

Marilyne

Larry - sorry you had an unpleasant night, but good that the kidney doc, has diagnosed your low salt and protein problem.  Seems like for years they tell us to cut out salt, and then there is a reversal, and they start telling us to include more salt, or take the salt tablets!  I also have the low levels of protein, and have been trying to eat more.  I have the Ensure or Boost high pro drinks, but the one you mentioned from Costco, sounds delicious.  I love peaches and cream!   AJ will be going to Costco on Thursday, next week, so I'll have him check and see if our store carries it?

Sandy - California has had mandatory recycling for around ten years.  No disposable plastic bags or styrofoam allowed in any store or restaurant.  The large supermarkets have a roll of biodegradable thin plastic ic in the produce department for such fresh veggies, damp produce like lettuce, etc. etc,  but that's all.

We are encourage to use our own recyclable bags for groceries, but if we forget, we have to pay 5 or 10 cents for a standard paper bad with handles.  I'm sure you have heard all the jokes about plastic straws being banned in San Francisco, San Jose and other CA cities?  They are no longer available in restaurants, fast food or for sale in stores.  Replaced with paper straws.  No big deal as far as I'm concerned.  Those of us in the older generation remember when there was nothing but paper straws.  They were adequate, and we were happy with them because we didn't know any better!  Well, they're back! LOL

Mary Ann - Sounds like a busy day ahead for you. Always a sad day, when you attend a funeral. I hope you and Dot, enjoy a nice meal out, afterwards.

Joan - You're way ahead of California, as to warm temperatures.  We are still in the 60's and low 70's here in the Bay Area. Fog and overcast every  morning, and then burning off - only to return again in the early evening! 

Jackie - Looks like you still have lots of business to attend to in the next couple of weeks.  I hope the Solicitor will help or guide you through the process? 

MarsGal - I hope your headache is gone by now?  You always seem so energetic, with lots of things on your agenda to accomplish every day. Some of my days are very productive . . .  others, not so much . . .             

FlaJean

It is overcast here but the rain and storm is to our west.  Doesn't look like we will get more than a sprinkle or two.  We have been having some really nice spring weather.

Joan, sounds like you have skipped spring and are having summer weather.

Mary Ann, funerals are always sad, but it is nice that you and Dot will get to see some friends that you normally wouldn't see.  It seems that most funerals I have been to I have enjoyed seeing old friends or acquaintances that I hadn't seen in ages.

We recycle but there are several things that aren't allowed.  I wonder how much is actually recycled or if things like aluminum and certain types of glass are pulled out and the rest sent to a landfill.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Marilyne, we were posting at the same time.  Your weather should be warming up soon?

Mary Ann

We're back from the funeral and we did not stay afterward for refreshments.  Dot was not expecting her Tennessee son and dil this weekend but they called and said they were coming up.  We were able to go to the funeral but we left right afterward because she felt they would be here by now. 

The funeral was nice, as funerals go.  The woman graduated high school the same year I did and I understand there are only about 20 of 250 left from our class.  I did not see one classmate.  A woman who sat in front of me was a very active member of church but because of age can no longer do anything.  She's older than I am and may be the oldest church member.  I did see others, but many that I see weekly any way. 

Tom had fixed me a piece of French toast and I will warm that up and that will be my "refreshments" and lunch.

The sun comes out occasionally, but it is not a beautiful day and the temperature is only 54 degrees.

Larry, I am sorry to hear you had a sleepless night.  I've had them and they are not nice. 

Jean, from the article about recycling, it seems that here someone does sort things, but when they're in a plastic bag, regardless of the content, the bag goes into the trash container. 

Joan, I wish we had a little of your heat but not all of it. 

Marilyn, I don't know if recycling is mandatory around here, but there are plenty of provisions for it.  I remember many years ago when Meijer had bins in their parking lot where we could take recyclables.  The bins were separate as to tins, clear glass, colored glass and I think a bin for things such as toilet bowl cleaner and similar products. 

Jackie, yes, you do have things to do to finalize the funeral etc but there will be a light at the end of the tunnel, just kind of faint at firt.

Now I'm going to warm up that French toast.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...oh you have had a week similar to me...a funeral...I hope no one too close to you...I also hope and pray that we dont hear of a third, two in one week is quite enough, isn't it? two is too many for my liking...

...yes that is one way of putting it...quoting: " The funeral was nice, as funerals go.."

Mary Ann

Jackie, the funeral I attended today was that of a woman who graduated high school the same year I did and she also was a long-time member of my church.  I probably was closer to her in recent years because of church as in school she was part of a different group.  I don't know that we had cliques, but with 250 people in the class, both boys and girls, it would be impossible to be friends with all.

Because Dot and I left right after the service, I did not see if any former classmates were there and last I heard we had between 20 and 25 class members left.  We've been out of school 78 years and any left are in their mid-90s.  Many of our class relocated and it would be next to impossible to travel any distance for any of us.

Your circumstances were much more personal since Richard was very close to you. 

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...quoting: " Your circumstances were much more personal since Richard was very close to you.." yes they were, and do you know what? when he ( Richard ) was here, I focused far too much on the bad's, yet now he has gone all I can think of are-were the goods in him, all the bad's dont mean a thing anymore, just wish I could tell him so, but now its too late...I will never make this same mistake again, life is too precious and too short for regrets and telling the person how much you really do-did love him-them......I would tell anyone, " say it now before its too late, and not to bare grudges..."

Mary Ann

Jackie, I think most people, after someone's death, do think of the nice things that happened with that person.  It's good that we do clear our brains of the unpleasant things.

You're doing fine!

Mary Ann

JeanneP

What a horrible day weather wise. I don't think I will ever get the painting done. Poor Farmers have not even gotten to get started on the planting and fields like like lakes
Today is Graduation day at the University of Illinois and it it being done as usual out on the Football Stadium with very little under roof. Believe that 9 thousand graduating today. (Over 34000 in the Univ.) 3 of my Grands graduated there and I remember the time . Days were Beautiful . It is Sad as it is such a happy time watching them get through. Not so much when using Rain gear to keep dry. Also lots of things the city were putting on has been canceled.
My Spell check seems to have quit working. Usually it shows red as I type the word wrong. I can clik on the Spell Check button below and it will show in a drop down screen but it will not show the correct spelling.
JeanneP

wjoan

Mary nhh, unfortunately I am afraid we are in for a very hot Summer here.  All that snow for 6 weeks is bound to bring us heat galore during the Summer.

Mary Ann

Joan, I think a lot of places will be hotter than usual.  The weather pattern has changed so much in the past few years that no one has much idea anymore of how things will go.  It used to be you could kind of predict what a season would be like, but not now.

Jeanne, it is too bad that so much rain ruins crops.  I don't get a newspaper any more so I don't know what they predict for our area.  I haven't heard anything about too much rain here, but I saw where Detroit has had to close roads until the water goes down.  They're on the other side of the state and we seldom have similar weather.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I'll get the ball rolling this morning with a Happy Mother's Day to everyone - Mothers, Fathers who have to be Mothers too and I'll include my category - Aunts and Uncles.  A lot of people have to be both.  My dad was one of those who had to be both.

Dot's son and dil from Tennessee are here so she and I will not be going to church today.  Tom has offered to take me to lunch and I'll accept his offer.  I'm the only mother he has now as his mother died several years ago. 

From the radar, I think we'll have a decent day however at 7 am the sun hasn't shown yet. 

Again - HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY

Mary Ann

Sandy

Happy
Mothers Day

to ALL !

― Carl Sagan

Joy

Just a quick Good Morning .

Wishing all the Mother's a Very Happy Mother's Day.  And, like Mary Ann mentioned, this includes all of the family members who are Step-mothers, adopted mothers, mother-in-laws, and  anyone else who plays a "Mother's Role".  Enjoy your Special Day !!

Joy
BIG BOX

FlaJean

What a miserable day we are having weather wise with a thunderstorm in progress.  But a good day for our plans of playing dominoes "Mexican Train".

We have so many beautiful days that I'm not complaining.

Have a wonderful Mother's Day everyone!