Random Image

tomato

Owner: FlaJean
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:53:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,
from the still coolish and overcast, 
rocky coast of Maine. 

IMHO,  step ladders are useless,  to me.
They put me up just high enough,
so when I fall,  I certaining will
fall hard and break something,
if not many somethings.   

I have a 7 foot ladder that I purchased
for anyone who might come to my apt
to help me .... 

I don't use it any longer. 

Regarding cell phones??   I
believe that everyone who is
driving needs access to a cell
phone.   Handy right next to them
in the car.   Never using when
driving.

Just in case something goes
wrong....

I have a smart phone that  I use
for my everyday phone and I just
got a landline (Just in case something
happens to my cell phone)...

As you all know I also have
life Alert,  which I highly recommend
to everyone.   Mine is just for
around my apartment.

I hang my cell phone around my
neck if I go out with out anyone. 

Fun to see how we all live.. 
and why we choose to live
that way...   

Everyone is an individual and
we all have different needs. 
 :smitten:

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Marilyne

Mary Ann - sounds like Tom is doing well, and will continue to do well, because there are always jobs out there for those who want them . . . even though many are temporary.  My Sandy, has the same situation here, in that she doesn't have a degree in "tech", so it's difficult to find a good paying job here, in any other field. However, she is always working somewhere, for a temp agency or a contract company.  She barely keeps her head above water, so to speak, but we do help her when it's necessary. 

How is Tom doing with his weight loss program?  It's so difficult for some people, and I certainly do wish him the best of luck.  I would imagine that all of his "lady friends", are encouraging him, and helping him to stick to it. 

Callie - Our weather has been damp and rainy for a week, and is supposed to continue on, so maybe you're getting the "icky sticky", blowing or drifting in from California?  It's been one of those tropical storms, now referred to as an "Atmospheric River".  Used to be called The Pineapple Express, but I guess that wasn't technical enough for the meteorologists, so they changed it to their liking.  ::)  ::)

Jean - I'm like you, in that I like to take pictures with my smart phone, but I rarely ever use it for making a call or texting. It does make me feel secure to have it with me when I leave the house.  I rarely receive a call from anyone on it, because all those family members and friends, use our landline number, which we have had for at least 45 years??  I plan to keep it as long as possible, along with the wall phone in the kitchen! :o

Jackie - Like you, I will miss Pat, very much.  Even though I didn't know her on a personal level, I've always been grateful to her for opening Seniors and Friends, for us, and keeping it going all these years.  It does seem like many here in S&F, as well as your Richard, have passed away in this past year. It's good to have a  belief in a Guardian Angel. I'm not sure that I do but it is a very comforting thought.   

Mary Ann

I should have qualified my statement that I would not need a phone if I still drove - I would not need one for the current purpose of having one - to call Tom to come and get me.  My phone has always lived in my purse and it is a rare occasion when I do not take my purse with me, such as when Tom and I go out to eat, then I might take my billfold, house keys and dark glasses.  Billfold for ID, keys to get in the house if Tom isn't coming in right away and glasses to see with when/if the sun is shining. 

Don't ask me what I did, but the size of the font when I am typing increased a notch and is so easy to see what I am trying to say.

Marilyn, I would not say Tom is doing well, but like Sandy, he is holding his own.  Having a degree in Religion doesn't qualify him for anything but a church and while he's a devout church goer, he does not want to be that involved with a church any longer.  I help him occasionally and it seems strange that a 61-year-old man needs financial help but I am glad to help because he helps me a lot, especially by just living here.

I can't tell that Tom is doing good at all with his weight program, however, he does go to exercise class at least twice a week.  He has complained that the walking he is doing in the class has turned his legs to rubber but I am sure that will change soon.  I haven't asked about weight, but I can't tell by looking at him. 

I have had my digital camera in my purse and I do remember to charge it, especially when I am going somewhere special.  Probably the phone will be more convenient just because I don't have to take it from a case, but I don't use my phone that much so may not use the camera that much.  I will at first because I want to see how it works and the results.

I wonder about the future of S&F with Pat gone. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, Paul is heading for Marine City in a few minutes.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Thanks for the heads up, Mary Ann.  I see Paul moving along (looks slowly) at the Marine City site.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - WOW!  That was spectacular!  By far the best view I've ever had of Paul. Looks like he got cleaned up and painted when he was in dry dock over the Winter?  I really enjoyed watching - thanks for letting us know.  :thumbup:   

Mary Ann

Jean and Marilyn, I'm glad you both got to see Paul.  When I got back to the site, Paul was just coming onto the main part of the river.  It certainly is a spectacular looking ship. 

Tom got home from his day and he was tired because of the exercise class.  I don't know if he's going to fix supper or if he ate on the way home. 

I don't know if anyone else saw this, but a day or two ago it was quite windy in Marine City and the river was rough.  It was interesting to see the small boats go up and down on the waves and some of the people were sitting on chairs in the boats.  I am sure that weather is not new to them so they knew what they were doing.  Not for me!

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Please give me the link to the Marine City webcam.  I feel as if I'm missing out,  Thanks.

Marilyne

Callie - This new link is a live feed from YouTube. The original cam stopped working, but I like this one better.  I also enjoy reading the constant stream, of comments to the right of the picture.  You can't read them when you go to full screen, but interesting to click back and forth to see what people are saying.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbAFT1gmen8

CallieOK

Mary Ann

Marilyn and Callie, I don't get the comments to the right of the screen, but at the bottom.  I can read them when the screen is full, however, I lose half of the picture.  When I clicked on Marilyn's link, things came up the way they usually do for me, not the way Marilyn described.  Either way, you can read the comments and, Callie, they may show up one way or the other on your computer.  People from all over the world make comments, not everyone is in Marine City.  Someone from Kenya posted the other day and there's a "regular" from Houston, someone from England; it's interesting to see where they come from.  If you have a road atlas it might be helpful to identify the towns along the St Clair River which is only 40 miles long.  It runs between the bottom of Lake Huron and the top of Lake St Clair.  After Lake St Clair, ships go down the Detroit River, I believe to Lake Erie. 

One more thing, Callie, do you have the marine map for the St Clair River.  It is like the one at the Soo, only for the different area.  Towns are listed on the map.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Mary Ann  I have an atlas map of Michigan and found Marine Ciy on the river.  Was just watching a big one coming directly ar the camera.  Couldn't see the name. Edit....now I do and am getting used to the way the cam follows.     "Cool! "  😀
Another thing to check regularly.
River on past Duluth to Lake Erie doesn't look big enough to handle them.

Mary Ann

Callie, I have not seen the Detroit River from Lake St Clair, but I imagine it's wide enough for one ship, maybe not two.  I'll have to see if I can find a picture of that area.  I have not been to the eastern side of the state often.

I saw the Frontenac come in and leave and saw some of the Algoma ?? before I left to take care of something else. 

I look at the map often to see if there is a ship in the vicinity.  I also look to see if a ship is near Port Huron to go under the bridge. 

Mary Ann

Denver

I am sorry to post so late, but did want to tell a bit of news about Michele today.

Dave sent us this message early this afternoon....

Great news. Michele is doing well. They just did her MRI which is a higher resolution that the one she had a few weeks ago. There are only 4 lesions. With all of the current information they think that these were there previously but are now more apparent due to some edema from her chemotherapy. They are very pleased as are we. They are about to start the gamma knife procedure and will want another MRI in about three months. All of this is great news.

Any news that sounds positive is such a blessing.  Sadly, she had a very bad headache and got home and went straight to bed. 

We got up at 5AM  and got to their home just after six.  They left right away, and we got the kiddos off to school.....it has been a long day, so I must head off to bed. 

I hope you all are resting well. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...this is what our forum has been lacking, some..." good news."

We are - have been dealing with so much heartbreak, myself included...
" There is no present like the time "

Joy

Good morning.  I am only here for a short time. I have a baby shower to go to today, and since my son is working near where it will be,  I am going to hitch a ride with him, so he is picking me up a little before 10, so I really have to get a move on. It just takes me so long to get ready to go out and I don't like to rush.

But, I had to comment on Jenny's wonderful, encouraging news this morning about Michele. I am just so happy to hear some good news and I know they are encouraged, also.  I will surely keep the prayers coming.  That kind of news is always so welcoming.

Hope everyone has a nice day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Jenny, it is good to have some good news about Michele and I hope news continues to be good.  She certainly is a fighter.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Jenny - I saw your message last night, right before I went to bed. :thumbup:   It looks like that miserable chemo treatment has done what it was supposed to do, and Michele is showing signs of improvement!  It's hard to fight the evil cancer in two places at once, but she is strong, and determined!  I hope that the gamma knife procedure continues to knock out whatever is remaining.

Winter has returned to Northern California.  The temperature last night dropped to 44 degrees, which is very cold for this time of year.  The rain yesterday was icy, and it snowed a lot in the mountains.  I had put away all of my Winter nighties about two weeks ago, but the past couple of nights, I had to dig them out and start wearing them again!  Also had to put the extra blanket back on the bed, and the corduroy pants for daytime, back in the closet.  This cold snap is supposed to last until the end of next week.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is another clear and hot day here in South Carolina with it to get over 90 degrees this afternoon.  Yesterday was a productive day that got started very early.  I did accomplish quite a few things here in my office but had pushed myself too much and by 7 PM had no energy left.  I tried to make it into my office one more time to get something but made it only a few steps and could go no further so had to sit down on my new Rollator and rest for awhile and then went immediately to bed for the night and it was a long night where I had to fight off several what I call panic attacks when I suddenly felt I couldn't breathe and had to sit up on the side of the bed for awhile.  For the last several days have been having restless leg spells in my right leg during the night and early morning. 

Scott finished putting in the ramp in the garage but they decided it is too steep as was only three feet.  So we will return it.  Unfortunately, I will have to pay the return shipping by UPS but the company is arranging the pickup here at the house.  They will reduce the refund by the shipping amount.  I ordered a four foot different type ramp and hope it will work.  I did get the sandals I had ordered but have to return them as my feet are to swollen to wear them.  So I will have to look for something else. 

Scott advised us last evening that he has made arrangement to get the Comcast Internet reduced speed from what he has had and the phones so he will have reliable phone service in his house.  His cell phone usage has always been off and on and often the calls won't go through.  He wants us to be able to call him and be able to speak to him.  He still was able to save $10 a month over what he was paying.  We are going to offer to get him the portable phones to use with the system once it is installed next week and we see what is needed.

Jackie, God does work in mysterious ways and at the perfect times, not necessarily when we ask for it but when he knows it is the best time for us.  I hope you will continue with you daily Bible reading.  My experience in the early days I started reading the Bible many things I read didn't make particular sense to me or did I see how it all fits together.  After many years I continue to understand more of what the Scriptures say. 

Mary Ann, I realize what a risk I would have taken to get on that step stool, at least beyond the first step because it has a high handle to hold onto but for what I would be doing it would require raising my arms above my head to work.  I am so weak now it was very unwise of me to even consider it.  I am still dealing with the pain associated with my two falls and sure didn't need another fall.  Glad to read you are staying off your step ladder.  Glad to see that Tom is enjoying the sub teaching. I have also been concerned about the future of S&F's and while I can no longer considered taking any continual role like an Administrator I will contact Michael next week to see what he thinking is.  I have also been in contact with Bubble on the matter.  We cyber friends must find someway to stay together on a daily or frequent basis. 

Jenny

Jean, Pat tried the flavored dairy creamers in her coffee and decided she didn't care for them.  They were in little pods and didn't need refrigeration.  Maybe that expiration date was last July and not the upcoming one.  Just joking as know when something like that is opened it has a limited life.  I expect many of us have cameras sitting unused with the advent of the cameras on our phones. 

Callie, it sounds like you will be getting some strong weather over the weekend that will head up across Kansas and States in the Midwest.  When I have pictures on my phone I just email them to myself. It is always a good feeling to get those "put offs" done. 

Sandy, my neighbor is headed over here in a few minutes and will use the step stool we have to check on the fire alarms, which are up high.  It is good to keep some kind of step ladder or ladder for others to use if needed, such as neighbors or family members. 

Marilyne,  Scott worked for Pizza Hut for a number of years and they offered no benefits except for their store managers.  Two or three years ago they extended their excellent benefit packages to shift leaders and above or he now has excellent medical and dental insurance and although the pay remains low he is now a senior shift leader and is eligible for bonuses and sometimes his bonus can be larger than the manager gets because it has a different set of criteria.  He was the manager of another Pizza Hut but he just isn't cut out to that level of management as he is a perfectionist. I think I liked the Pineapple Express term better. 

Jenny, so happy to read that Michele has finally gotten some good news as it seems to have been in short supply for her. 

Jackie, you are right. 

Joy, hope you enjoy the baby shower.  Men are now sometimes invited to attend these showers but it was just something I didn't feel right about and declined when invited.

Mary Ann

Larry, it is good to see that long message from you.  It is an overcast day here so far but rain is not in the forecast.  It's 60 degrees at 12:15 pm.

Tom does not want the 3-step ladder in the kitchen because it gets in his way (I had it leaning on a cabinet beside the stove) so it now resides in my bedroom, leaning on my grandmother's foot locker and really does not take up any space.  I weigh any action I take to be sure it is a safe action.  I am alone a lot and I don't want Tom to come home to my lying on the floor after a mishap.  I am sure you do the same, especially after two falls.  It is good that you have Scott taking actions for your benefit.  Not everyone is as fortunate as we are to have someone looking out for our good. 

Larry, I have not had panic attacks (yet) but I do have leg problems.  I don't know if it is restless leg or not.  Tom and I have similar problems however, my legs act up in bed but not during the day and Tom's hurts are all day.  His problem is more like Norm's including the heavy legs.  He has a heart problem that I don't have and he is too heavy, which is why his doctor has him started on an exercise program.  He does not like the exercise, but he has gone faithfully so far. 

Since Tom works out of here and uses the computer a lot, we went from AT&T to Comcast for greater speed.  Sometimes I'm not sure we got it, but Tom is satisfied.  For me, it doesn't matter.  I'm trying to find out why TracFone charged me so much tax on my purchase the other day.  Michigan sales tax is 6% and I was charged over 11%. 

I'll get off the box so someone else can get in.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Happy Birthday today to wJoan!!
:happybday:   :cake:   :cheer:   :party:   :tup:

Mary Ann

Joan, Happy Birthday and I hope you have many more.  I am glad you are feeling better and I'm happy Candy is feeling better too.

Mary Ann

wjoan

Marilynne and Mary Ann, thank you both.  My son came by and spent half the day with  me .  Was Great.  Candy came down and sat with us   for a bit.

CallieOK

Quote from: undefinedOne more thing, Callie, do you have the marine map for the St Clair River.  It is like the one at the Soo, only for the different area.  Towns are listed on the map.

Mary Ann

I've only seen the marine maps at the bottom of the Duluth cam pages and the New York harbor cams.  Could you please give me a link to the map for the St Clair River cam. Thanks,[/size]

Mary Ann

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-82.3/centery:42.8/zoom:10

Callie and anyone else, this is the map for the St Clair River and Marine City.  Marine City is in the middle of the map of the river.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

I wanted to get back to the river because a ship was expected and came into view shortly after I got there.

I know this has been mentioned, but if you weren't interested at the time - the land across the river is Canada.  The St Clair River is the border between Canada and the US.  The line extends north through Lake Huron and through the Soo across Lake Superior to Minnesota.  South it goes along the Detroit River to Lake Erie.

I think I have my extra tax charge figured out.  I kept getting the response that it had to do with my zip code.  It wasn't until I hung up after the last person that I realized it must have to do with 911 charges.  I probably spent at least a half hour trying to make sense of it and it was hard to understand the people I was talking with. 

Mary Ann

CallieOK

phyllis

Mary Ann, Callie, and other ship watchers on You Tube.....You all got me turned on to watching the big freighters go in and out of the Duluth Harbor.  I was so confused because you kept referring to each ship as the "Paul Scinocca" and I wondered why that ship was going in and out so often and then it finally dawned on me.  These are different ships and Paul Scinocca is the name of the professional photographer who is taking the pictures.  I looked it up on Google.  Now I'm trying to read the name of each ship on the bow as it goes by and really finding them interesting to watch as they move in and out of that busy harbor.  Thanks for getting me interested in them.
phyllis
Cary,NC

Mary Ann

Phyllis, do you have the maps for the ship areas?  Where you see an icon of a ship, you can put your cursor on the icon and the name of the ship is shown along with the destination.  I can get into it more after I return from church.

I'm glad others are getting interested in the ships. 

I had not heard of Paul Scinocca because usually when we refer to "Paul" it is for the ship Paul R Tregurtha (there's also a Lee Tregurtha, his wife), but the last name is not easy to pronounce, hence Paul.

Mary Ann

phyllis

Mary Ann, thanks for clearing up my confusion.  That is an enormous ship!
phyllis
Cary,NC