Random Image

Kelly1 in Switzerland

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Just did not get out earlier enough today to miss the heat. Will try to walk tonight although it doesn't cool down that much. They are saying may rain a little.
I keep thinking, while being stuck in house would be good time to do little cleaning. Maybe fridge etc. Just can't seem to get into that.
Going to bring up library and see if they have a couple of these book you are mentioning above. Not had much luck with what I have been bringing home these days. Just less and less coming out in LP from the well known authors. This is how I picked my books in the past. Now even they are getting old and two have passed in the last few weeks.
Need to look in fridge and take out something from freezer for dinner. Better watch out as I am getting my sweet tooth back again.
There goes the phone again. Still so many Robot calls even on weekends. This one wanting to pay off my funds I still owe on money borrowed for college. Crazy.If i had it would have been 60 years ago. Not even in USA. Sometimes I wonder where they get these phone numbers from. I have 4 and they have everyone . I very seldom answer any of them.
JeanneP

SharonE

Sounds like hot and humid is the day for all of us.  John got out and filled the feeders and cleaned the bird baths and I don't know what else so they would be done while he's gone.  He leaves Monday.

Jeanne, ask at the paint store for a good, reasonable painter. They ought to know.  Take care with the heat. Stay hydrated.  Macomber is a good author if you like light romantic novels.

Sue, you and Jane and Darlene are so good about getting out and walking.  Lori gave me a tirade on getting out and moving.  So easy for a 50 yr old to say.  However, I know she's right. I need to go to the gym since I can't walk.  However, maybe the PT starting Monday will help.

Mary, sounds like things are looking up at your retirement center.

John and I are going to our church men's Bar BQ with bluegrass music tonight with 2 of our neighbors who saw my article in the paper. They are Methodists, but not at St John's. I'm going to put the walker in the trunk as a just in case and start out with my cane (and a Tramadol!).  I do hope it's a nice evening.  John doesn't often agree to go out.

I had a nice surprise last night--Thomas, the newlywed, messaged me asking if I had all the recipes I gave Jocelyne, on my computer. Of course I do. I also made a recipe book for Jonathan at the same time since he loves to cook.  I think I'll ask Scottie, the one who just started his doctorate at MI and bought a house, if he would be interested in my making him one.  The other 2 boys are still a little young. (17 &20).  So another project!  Fortunately, I got Millie's photo book all finished for John to take.

I don't have any plans till the Bar B Q.  Hi to Marilyn & Jeanne & Alpiner & Joy.                 Sharon                             

jane

Same story here....HOT and humid.  It's 93 now and so humid you can't breathe easily out there.  Ray and I got out for his walk at 9:00 when it was just (ha!) 81. He did the our driveway, front walk and down Gary's driveway and back with just 3 stops in the shade to rest.  I haven't walked by myself in months and won't be doing so in this heat and humidity. I just don't have the time, anymore.  Doing all I did before and all Ray did has me exhausted by the end of the day, and not in the mood or have the energy to then walk. :coolsmiley:

I stopped by the Farmers' Market on my way to WalMart for my prescription. Not as many vendors today, but I did get my favorite...banana bread with nuts.  I put them in my freezer and have them when the market is over and I can't find good banana bread anywhere. 

I've got laundry going again, we've gotten Ray his shower and Gary and Kathy are coming up at 4:30.  I'm going to take some time now to watch Women's World Cup Soccer...England and Germany is on today I think. 

Take care in this heat that the whole country seems to have!

jane

maryz

Jeanne, I get a lot of robo calls, too.  I have caller-ID on both my phones, and I just don't answer it if I don't know who's calling.  A couple of days ago, I even got a call from "myself".  The callers can put in any number at random, and frequently will put in a number that says it's from your area code and maybe even your neighborhood.  On my cell phone, I can block the calls, too.  I get a lot of calls where it rings only once.  Last Sunday, I got SIX one-ring calls from the same number.  Only once has anybody left a message...recorded sales of something.  Best advice is just don't answer.

In weather like this, I don't go outside if I don't absolutely have to. The gals came back this morning to put my potted plants back on the deck.  It surely has been nice to get back to the dining room for my meals, and to talk to people.  We didn't do too badly at bridge yesterday (58%), but didn't get any MP.

I like this font, jane - sorry for stealing your idea. Keep taking care of yourself.

Sharon, I hope you have a good time at your BBQ - usually that is such good food.  Glad you're taking the walker.

Sue and Darlene, good job - getting some walking early in the day.

Happy weekend, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

Mary...my favorite font as it's easy for me to read...so "steal" away. :smitten:

We are so fortunate to live in a community with so many caring people.  Tonight is the American Legion monthly steak fry and Ray was going to call down and order a steak and I'd go get it.  We always split one.  [He used to be very active...served as a Commander for a year, carried the flag for all the local parades, helped put up the flags around town and the cemeteries, etc on holidays, etc.]  Anyway about 4:45, a fellow who's now active in the Legion and one Ray has always liked, called and said Ray had "won" a steak dinner...how did we want it cooked and he'd be up to deliver it!  Uh...they don't "give away" dinners...and we know that.  He came up about a half hour later with the dinner/salads/dessert all boxed up...and I invited him in to visit with Ray.  He stayed probably 45 minutes filling Ray in on all the "doings" and "problems" at the Legion, etc.  Ray enjoyed the visit and I enjoyed not having to cook supper in this awful heat and humidity.

Feeling blessed to have such great local support.

jane

Vanilla-Jackie

Here in UK we had quite a lot of days with non stop rain all through June, yet compared to last year we went most of our Summer crying out for rain, we went several months without a drop...It was certainly welcomed when it did come, even if it was mild and we hardly felt it.... This year so far has been totally the opposite....

" There is no present like the time "

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  This will be a quickie just to say Hello!  Olyne just called and will be by shortly to pick me up for Sunday School and Church, so I've got to get my act together and be ready to go.  I'll try to get back in here later this afternoon.  Have a good day, Every Buddy, and I'll talk to you later!

Sue

maryz

V-J, great to see you checking in.  I hope you're not getting that awful heat that the continent seems to be suffering through.  We've got it bad over here in our part of the US, but nothing like France and Spain are having.  Keep chiming in.

jane, how great of your friends to think of you and act on it!  I'm sure your dinner was great, too.

Sharon, when does John leave?  Is he driving, or do you have to take him to the airport?

My big "event" on Sunday morning is to read the Sunday paper and watch CBS Sunday Morning (guess that's two events).  I may have to take a nap after lunch to rest up.  ;)

Happy Sunday, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

V-J...the weather everywhere seems to vary so much from season to season. 

Enjoy your Sunday, Mary.  I've read the paper...but am staying away from the News for a few days. I get so upset by what I see and hear from our elected, that it's simply not good for my health.  I'm quickly deciding that I won't vote for anyone again who is presently in office more than 3 years. 

The heat and humidity are again in the "awful" zone.  I'm wearing as few clothes as possible and still be able to answer the door and am listening to music channels on the tv and doing some family bookkeeping and reading. 

jane

JeanneP

Missed walking again. Just hate to put the right clothes on. Would not what to be seen in what I wear in the house. maybe go out tonight. Trying not to eat as much. Do a little exercise in the house. I think we are really going to have a hot summer. Just hope my A/c holds up as it is now  about 8 years old.  Be hard getting service at the moment. My service man has retired.
Sue. That is true. At one time stores could find you someone to do any of the work you needed. Paint, Handy Man. Not allowed to do it now. Only Registered Contractors can leave their name. Something to do with Insurance. If something went wrong then people tried saying that the store recommended these people. Suing has gotten out of hand now. Such a shame.
JeanneP

SharonE

Hi Gals.  No SS today. On 5th Sunday, they have a big brunch and John doesn't like to eat a lot. The idea of picking a few things escapes him, I guess.  We did go to church and last night to the BarBQ at church. Had a nice time.  I have a load of laundry in and then have to clean and fill the hummer feeders.

Jane, that was super of the guy bringing the steak, etc. for your meals.  And visiting too. I know Ray felt loved by it.

The temps and humidity are ridiculous nearly everywhere, but specially in Europe. I'm glad we aren't traveling now. Lori is going to Italy in August, I think. Maybe later. Anyway, I hope it is cooler.

Jeanne, do you have a "Next door neighborhood" app? That's a good place to ask for recs.  They are in nearly all locations. True about the constant suing. You can get a # Blocker on your cell phone. If I don't answer, it asks if I want it blocked.

Jane, I do watch the evening news and the local news, but I'm not even thinking about voting till closer to the time. I understand your position though.

Mary, I'm sure you're glad to have the flowers out on the deck again and to be able to go to the dining room.  Living in a room alone and seeing few if any people isn't fun.

John leaves tomorrow. I'm driving him to the airport. For a change the times are reasonable too.  He returns the 9th.  I hope he gets his Ruby level in bridge and I know his sister will be thrilled to see him. They are only 11 months apart.

Nothing else going on here now. Pt tomorrow afternoon.  Sharon

SCFSue

Good morning, Sharon and Every Buddy looking in.  It's almost 10:00 here and I slept until almost 8:30 and am just now dressed and ready to walk in my neighborhood, so this will be short as it's already VERY HOT out there!  I had a nice, but quiet weekend and spent most of my time reading inside.  However, I've finished almost all of the library books I checked out on Friday, so will have to reread some favorites until Friday when Eddie comes to take me to the library and to Kroger.

I hope Ray is having a good day, Jane, and Every Other Buddy is also.  I need to get outside and walk before the temperature gets any higher.  Stay cool Every Buddy.

Sue

jane

Good early morning!

As with all of you, heat and humidity continue here.  Ray had good visit with his kidney doctor...and no need to return for 4 months.  I'd printed off a lot of his lab results since end of May, and he looked them over carefully.

Today is chemo day in Cedar Rapids because of holiday this week, so our long day this week.

Have a safe and cool Tuesday!

Jane

maryz

jane, great news from Ray's doc. Hope the rest of your week goes as well.

Sue, be careful being out in that heat.  It can get you very quickly.  Also true for Darlene in that Texas heat.

Sharon, I guess you got John off okay.  Super that, for once, you had a decent time to get him to the airport.

I went to duplicate last night - everything was awful.  We had terrible cards (I had one round - 3 hands- that if I added up total points for the 3 hands, I wouldn't have had enough to open!), and played them worse.  We were about 45 minutes later finishing up, and came in last, just to pour some salt in the wounds.  Oh, well.  There's always the next game to play.  :thumbup:

I got out early to get a haircut and to pick up a Walmart order.  I'm having a bad-back day, so I think that'll pretty much be it for me today.

Happy Tuesday, Buddies!

JeanneP

I am having a hard time getting anything done.Just to hot to go out and that is mostly what I need to do. Only 10am and almost up to 89 deg already. I am not very good with the heat or Humidity.
Suppose to have a outfit get with me this week on the Jet wash and other things. Not heard a word from them. Will get on it again later.
Need to go pick up books at library as what I have not enjoying. I even turned on my Amazon Fire and checked what I have on there. Made a mistake yesterday. Ordered on and hit wrong button. Showed up with it being read out to me. Audio. Can't stand that. Maybe call them and see if can get credit.
My IPad is messed up again and so need to take it to Best Buys. Will not shut down. It is going to be like this for next 6 days and so may as well just accept it. Relax. Will say I am fixing some good meals. Experimenting with new recipes.
Jane. sounds like a more restful time for you this week. Reports are good on husband. Hope they can cut down on his medical visits while so hot out.

Sue. Now doesn't you library has a service where you can get on line and order book and they will deliver them to you? That would help is he is only picking you up once a week.
JeanneP

SCFSue

Good morning, Jane, Mary, and Jeanne!  It is already 11:00 and only one cleaning lady showed up this morning.  I helped her change the sheets on my bed and she managed to get the rest done promptly.  Her former partner quit when a grandchild was born.  The company has sent younger women for her to train, but most of them have not returned.  They seem to want a job, but evidently changing sheets, dusting furniture, and damp mopping floors is just "TOO MUCH!"  I'm hoping she will hang in with me. 

Jane, I'm glad to hear that Ray had a good visit with the kidney doctor.  I hope the chemo goes well today.  It sounds like Ray is feeling more upbeat now--and that's a great thing! 

Mary, I'm going to put on a wide brimmed hat and hoof it around the block(s) now that my cleaning lady has left.  I like to get in a walk every morning before it's too hot, but unfortunately she was by herself and had already cleaned another place this morning, so I'm later than I like to get outside.  I'm sorry about the yucky cards yesterday! 

Jeanne, I haven't seen a notice that our library will deliver books to my home.  I'm using Tim's friend Eddie on Fridays.  He takes me to the library to return books and to check out more, then to Kroger for my weekly shopping.  He charges a fee for his time and I'm happy to pay it as I don't drive anymore.  Tim is semi-retired and he and Kris are traveling more now.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

jane

Morning, Ladies!
Our Sharon is having a bad week.  Her Facebook page says she fell Sunday night and broke two bones in her pelvis.  She's in rehab for 10 days.  John canceled his trip. 

Hot here, too...again!  I'm looking forward to bridge today.

Ray's lab, doc visit with onc and chemo went well.  We asked Onc about getting a portable oxy machine and he was all for it.  Said he would willingly sign whatever we needed...they require a prescription.  Insurance doesn't cover this "luxury," but that's why we both worked hard all our lives and saved...so we could afford to buy what we now want/need!

I also want to get a "transport chair"...wheel chair without the big side wheels so I can push him into stores and restaurants, etc.  Amazon seems to have the best prices, too.

Stay cool and safe!

Jane

maryz

jane, thanks for posting that about Sharon.  I had seen it and was going to post, too.  Poor Baby! I know she must be in such pain.  Good for you for going ahead with the portable oxygen and the transport chair.  I've seen the chairs, and they're obviously so much lighter and easier to fold to get in and out of cars. Both will be very helpful for you.

We'll be heading to the beach on Saturday.  It's going to be a very small bunch this year (as compared to last year when we had an overflow crowd!).  None of the grands/spouses will be able to come.  Tacky Sarah and Carson will be on their honeymoon trip to Ireland/Scotland/Belgium/Italy (Carson will be working the British Open Golf Tournament in Ireland).  Margaret and I are going to meet up with Sue in Atlanta and go the rest of the way in one car - good for them to be able to share the driving.  The only other thing this week is Residents' meeting here this afternoon.

Hugs to all the Buddies - Sue, Marilyn, Jeanne, Darlene, alpiner, Joy, especially Sharon, and whoever else I missed.

Marilyn

Good morning, I saw that too about Sharon/

Mary have a great time at the beach.

Jane glad to hear that Rays DR approved of the new Oxy and the transport chair.

Hello to Jeanne, Darlene, Jackie, Sandy and Sue.

I am taking one of the cats in  for teeth cleaning this morning, I already put him in his crate and into the car. The other cats were hungry  so I fed them after I crated Fritzy.

Not much else is new here. I got a call yesterday from Hospice that a water pipe upstairs broke and flooded the building, so I didn't have to go to work. The area where my office is located didn't get any water damage but no one can go in that building until all gets repaired, so we are relegated to the basement conference room on  the other building for our in-service class next Tuesday.

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've cleaned up the kitchen, read the paper, but am still sitting here in my P.J.'s. I need to get dressed and out for my walk before it gets too hot.  I don't have a lot planned for today besides reading and doing some laundry.

Jane, thank you for the news about Sharon.  I'm so sorry she's having such a tough time this summer.   It's great that Ray's chemo went well and the doctor has Okayed the portable Oxy machine and chair.  It sounds like things are looking up for you and Ray. 

Mary, I know you'll enjoy being at the beach with family (at least some of them!).  I miss going to the beach (although I did go down to Gulf Shores with Stacey and Jon's family during the summer).  Alex and Nick were both home from school and remembered where we sprinkled some of Bob's ashes and took me down there--they've always wanted to go to say "we love you, Papa Bob" when we're down there.  We had spread the majority of Bob's ashes down there--and saved a small amount which is in my bathroom to be joined with that when I'm cremated. Both boys walked with me on the beach when we were there.

Marilyn, I'm sorry to hear about the water pipe flooding the facility.  Hopefully the place will be repaired quickly and everyone can get back into their offices. 

Have a nice day, Every Buddy!
Sue

Vanilla-Jackie

Only just missing our longstanding member " GinnyAnn " noticing she hasn't posted on our forum for quite a while, is she alright? I do hope so...I know she is - was a regular " bosom buddy " poster...

maryz

VJ, we've tried to get a response from Ginny Ann for some time, but she hasn't been in here, either.  Please let us know if you find anything out about her.

Just read on FB that Marilyn has fallen, too.  She says no immediately visible injuries, but very sore.  Marilyn, sometimes bad sprains and even breaks don't show up right away.  Take care, and get it checked out.  Hugs!

jane

YIKES!  Sorry to hear another of our ladies has fallen.  Hope you're ok, Marilyn.

Mary...enjoy Fort Morgan.

V-J...I've sent numerous emails to GinnyAnn, but no reply and she hasn't posted.  I do see she plays games sometimes on Facebook, but that's all I know.

I did get out for bridge today and it was enjoyable.  I left Ray his lunch in a cooler bag so he didn't have to walk to the kitchen, etc. and try to get his things out to the family room or dining room table.  He said it worked fine.

HOT here...saw 95 on several of the business signs around town.  It looks now as if a storm is brewing up. 

Take care everyBuddie!

jane

Vanilla-Jackie

Sorry, wish I could help but I dont do facebook, nor do i live in the US, i am in UK...just noticing some of our regular members who have not been posting for some time," Ginger " is another member, although think she posted in the " word games.." We  do get concerned when a longstanding member has suddenly stopped posting, dont we?...and we cant see a reason for it, just wondering if it was because of our forums new changeover and layout, maybe some like our " Jack wv " with his dog Mimi, could not get to grips with it, so just gave up on our S & F's forum..Jack is another member I miss, along with our Sachiko and her wonderful video clips of her homeland Japan..... also Mahlia ( Molly )

Marilyn

Good Morning and Happy 4th of July. Freckles and I will be going to the park for the Family activities the Fire dept puts on every year. All the Furry Friends will be there with our dogs. There won't be any kind of fireworks as it is from noon to 3 only. Lots of activities for the children, music etc.The kids always tell their parents " Oh  I know that dog, they came to my school" It is wonderful to be recognized for our good things thaty we do in the community as Therapy dog handlers. That is the only plans I have for today.

My knee is so much better today, No pain or swelling the stiffness is gone, I am so blessed that  nothing was broken and all is well this morning.

maryz

Marilyn, glad you haven't had any ill effects from your fall.

Happy Fourth, EveryBuddy!!!

SCFSue

Good morning, Every Buddy--and a Happy 4th of July!  It is HOT here this morning and I plan to get outside for my morning walk as soon as I post here and will get the walk finished.  No fireworks here in Auburn last night, but according to the morning paper, Opelika where Tim and Kris live had their big display at the high school over there.  Last year I went outside and sat in a chair on my driveway and saw some of the fireworks, but this neighborhood's trees have all grown so much taller that I didn't see much.  I'll probably watch the TV production from the Capitol Fourth in D. C.

GinnyAnn and I exchanged e-mails for many years--but when her son died, she just quit e-mailing.  I have tried to contact her, but have had no answer.  I believe she was very depressed following his death.

Jack and I e-mail occasionally now that he's no longer posting here.  He and Mimi still go to the park and walk, but he has withdrawn from his usual posts about his trips to the park with Mimi.  Both of us are West Virginia natives and he always came out to the freeway to meet me when I was going to Charleston to visit my sister while she lived there.  They are in Florida now.

Mary, I hope you and your family are having a great time at the beach.  Enjoy and try to stay cool!

Jane, I hope Ray is having a good day and you all are not roasting!  It's HOT here!

Marilyn, I'm glad your knee is better--and I know you and Freckles will enjoy your visit to the park to see the children who love dogs!

Enjoy the 4th of July activities if your community has them!

Sue

jane

V-J...Mahlia/Molly passed away several years ago, and I believe Ginger is in poor health and perhaps not able to be online much anymore.  I guess we're all getting older and have health issues.  The younger folks are not joining these type of sites. They all seem to be on snapchat and other social media sites.

Another very hot one on tap here, too. We are going down the driveway to friends for supper tonight. That's our excitement for the day. :2funny:

jane

Cottoncandy

wow...new forum finally got me...been trying since yesterday to change password...so I could post...after about 10 try's. finally did it.what a challenge.one thing I can say.it's a secure site...Happy 4th everybuddy

maryz

Has there been a recent change to our site?  I haven't had any problems and haven't noticed anything different here.