Random Image

Kelly and her dog Cliff and her Grand Daughter Fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 01:55:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

What's For Dinner? 2016-19 Archived

Started by phyllis, March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

Not sure if I'm opening this forum the way I should but I'll just do it until I'm told differently.

Hope that all of you that like to talk about food and cooking will find your way here soon.

BTW, if you don't like the new name I gave this discussion we can always change it..... I think?
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

Dinner?  I had too big a lunch, so I'll pass. 
I cooked such a tasty goulash with rich gravy  that contained prunes, lots of carrots and onions, some red wine.  I ate that with boiled potatoes forked mashed into that gravy.  Yummy!

phyllis

Bubble, it is so good to see you found your way here.   :) I hope you saved me some of your lunch.  It sounds so good.  I love goulash but I don't think I've ever eaten it with prunes.  I'll have to give it a try.
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

It makes for a much richer sauce.  The Belgian way, but they use beer instead of wine.

Mary Ann

Your goulash sounds good, Bubble.

Mary Ann

Jeanne Lee

What a surprise we got when we moved to northern New York after the years in New Jersey.  A special gathering promised goulash - and it turned out to be beef, macaroni and tomatoes - or beef-a-roni!.   ;D

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

phyllis

Hi Mary Ann, Jeanne Lee!

My mother used to make something similar to goulash (without the prunes or the red wine) and served over noodles but she always called it "Slumgullion".  I have absolutely no idea why! ???
phyllis
Cary,NC

maryz

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Jaywalker

Goulash...  a word my mother used often, but made nothing like you are talking about.  I also remember we often had "slumgullion" ..... I always thought my mother made up words to suit the occasion.  We had "icebox roundup" a lot, too!
Jane, on Oregon's south coast
Click for Coos_Bay, Oregon Forecast

maryz

What I made was "freezer sludge soup".  I'd put all leftovers in a carton in the freezer - meat, vegetables, gravy, rice, potatoes, whatever.  When it got full, I use it add chicken or beef broth, maybe some canned tomatoes, onions, other stuff, and make soup.  Always delicious and never reproducible. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

RAMMEL

Quote from: phyllis on March 29, 2016, 02:27:09 PM
Not sure if I'm opening this forum the way I should but I'll just do it until I'm told differently.

Hope that all of you that like to talk about food and cooking will find your way here soon.

BTW, if you don't like the new name I gave this discussion we can always change it..... I think?
If you find out how, please tell me

Being I seem to have stumbled into the kitchen, I think I'll just get a dish of ice cream   ::)
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

phyllis

The ice cream is in the freezer, Rammel.  Choose any flavor you like....we have everything.   ;)

If you find out how to change the discussion name before I do, let me know. 
phyllis
Cary,NC

Mary Ann

Phyll, I think the name is fine.  It's better than Cooking 2009.  I often wondered if the 2009 could be removed.  Now it is.

Mary Ann

MaryTX

Jane, I thought my mother made up names also for her concoctions also :).

I also make a "Dab of this, a bit of that" soup. In fact, I think I'll make a pot of it today.

When my kids were in school, beef-a-roni was a staple in school lunches.  Kids hated it and called it "barf-a-roni".  Cathie is a middle school teacher and it still is a staple in school lunches and still called "barf-a-roni" by the kids :).

Mary

Click for Arlington, TexasForecast

alpiner1

I had a wisdom tooth extracted this morning so I'm making spaghetti for dinner . I can have soft foods only . The others can have a green salad with their dinner .

phyllis

alpiner, I am so in sympathy with you!  I went through all of that tooth extraction business last fall.  I hope you will feel better quickly.  Spaghetti sounds like a good choice to me.....even when I haven't had a tooth pulled. ;D

I have spent so much time on this site today that I haven't even given a thought to what's for dinner tonight.  Maybe we'll pay a visit to the local diner.

redbud..Mary..,I loved the Barf-a-ronie story.  Gave me a good laugh.
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

alpiner, I lived on yogurt and mashed potatoes for a week after an extraction.  Not a happy memory.
Hopefully it will soon be a memory for you too.

tuckyquilter

Leftovers from the day!  I cook often and make sure there is plenty for freezing and later.  Leaves me more time to sew & chat.

so_P_bubble

I almost never cook for just one meal, but freeze for at least another two.  I am always delighted to just  get a meal from the freezer and have more time for my hobbies/ computer time.

Mary Ann

Alpiner, I had a tooth extracted recently and I ate yogurt for a few days.  I lost a few pounds, but as soon as I started eating normally, the weight came back!  Darn!

Mary Ann

Jaywalker

Quote from: maryz on March 29, 2016, 04:51:45 PM
What I made was "freezer sludge soup".  I'd put all leftovers in a carton in the freezer - meat, vegetables, gravy, rice, potatoes, whatever.  When it got full, I use it add chicken or beef broth, maybe some canned tomatoes, onions, other stuff, and make soup.  Always delicious and never reproducible.

We did the same thing, only not soup.  All the dibs and dabs of leftovers went into a casserole and got a biscuit topping ... one never knew what was in there until it was on your plate!  That was our "icebox roundup" and occurred at least once a week.

Yesterday I made myself a pot of chili mac.... added extra cheese, too!  I know that's far from being on a weight watcher's diet, but I did make a salad to go along with it!  I have to indulge myself once in a while, y'know! :-[

I just may have the same thing again today ... I've got left overs and need to use them up ... can't let anything go to waste -- although it usually does go to waist!  ::)
Jane, on Oregon's south coast
Click for Coos_Bay, Oregon Forecast

Mary Ann

Tom, Terry, Dot and I had lunch today at a nearby restaurant and I had a Cherry, Chicken, Pecan Salad, half of which I brought home.  Since Tom is gone until late, what I brought home will be my supper.  The salad was delicious, just more than I could finish at one sitting.

Mary Ann

alpiner1

After reading the paper I got from the oral surgeon I'm  suppose to eat only cold , soft food today . Tomorrow we are meeting my husband's cousin for lunch , its a fish restaurant to I'll have clam chowder .  Tonight's dinner doesn't seem very appetizing since I can't have spaghetti .

SueB

Clean out the refrigerator soup.  Yes, I like that with whatever is there, whatever you may call it. 

So I am invited to a pot luck that is supposed to be Asian food.  I never make that sort of thing so I'll have to go online and see what I can come up with. 

Something I miss now that I'm cooking for one is meatloaf.  I do get in in restaurants.  And I cook lots of vegs and healthful items.  But some I just don't make.  So pull up a chair and join us.

Radioman34

SueB I make a good meatloaf from a recipe I got from America's Test Kitchen. I too cook for one, but it holds up well after freezing which means I can prepare meals ahead of time.

I'm also doing some Asian cooking and I've amassed a considerable amount of herbs and spices.  I like the ones that call for tamarind. It's very messy to work with, but has a sweet-sour flavour that's quite appealing.

phyllis

I sometimes make two small meat loaves instead of one large one and freeze one of them, after baking, for later.  They freeze very well.

Don, nice to see you here.  You are such an adventurous cook.  Something that I am not, generally.  Do you buy your exotic spices online or do you have a store close to you?
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

Anyone here has a good and easy recipe for zucchini?  There are so nice and tempting right now.

Kelly

Hi Bubble
I might have a recipe for courgette  :)

Kelly

so_P_bubble

maryc

I'm not sure if this is the same forum we were in before about cooking, etc. but anyway I'm back.   I see some familiar names and some "new to me".    I've enjoyed hearing the comments on Goulash.    I know that the word has many many interpretations but ours has been the beef-a-roni version since I was a kid.   When we were young our mother just called it macaroni and tomatoes (sometimes it was with ground beef and other times not).  When I ate at a friends house  her mother call it goulash.   Now that lady was from Kentucky and my mom  was from Michigan and we all lived in New York state, so go figure.   It is still a favorite meal with our children even now that they are adults.
Mary C