Random Image

IMG_1582 (1280x960).jpg

Owner: donklan
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 07:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

2023-11-28, 19:20:53
JeanneP: Now I seem to be able to get into some without it going back to 2016. I have been trying to get ahold of Junnee but see her posting but can find where, Just want her to know that I will again use the EM adress she shows on Here and write, Mine in still 

2023-11-08, 19:12:15
JeanneP: Will give that a try. Sound like should work

2023-11-02, 11:36:21
Oldiesmann: It's not the best solution but it's the only thing that will prevent the forum from thinking you haven't read anything

Yarn, Needles and Crafts

Started by phyllis, March 30, 2016, 11:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phyllis

This is the revived and newly named Knitting and Crocheting Discussion.  Please notice that it is now called YARN, NEEDLES AND CRAFTS.  Bubble will be along soon to lead the discussion.  Enjoy!
phyllis
Cary,NC

phyllis

Hope you talented crafters find this place soon.
phyllis
Cary,NC

maryz

"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

so_P_bubble

Hello. hello!

I hope your needles did not remain idle while Seniors and Friends was on strike   ;D

I am still working on  the afghan I started on this pattern https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYPr1TasKm4&feature=youtu.be

I love it!  I'll post a photo when...  I am still thinking of a border around it to finish it  nicely

Lindancer

Hi Bubble, Thanks for showing us the way.  I am still working on my false cable afgan.

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

SueB

Hi to all again.  I did have to sign in again so finally I'm here.  I'll check your pattern Bubble but I'm making an afghan also.  Three colors, well four, I guess.  The two blues are almost the same so I'm alternating them.  Plus tan and white ripple pattern.  I was able to make one from start to finish in December and January when I was in Florida visiting the family.  This time the youngest finally got hers.  It was one large granny square with extentions out the ends to make it rectangular.  Both of these are using my stash.  I promise myself to not buy more till I use most of what I have up.  I spied some bright pink but made myself put that box back and get back to what I already started.

What are the rest of you working on?

so_P_bubble

Mine is mainly white, with lines of yellow, light green and purple.  Very  summery!

JeanneP

Well a double WELCOME BACK . It took me awhile to get back in but happy to see that SueB. caught up with us.  Missed you and glad to see you O.K.
Thought the family had moved from Florida.
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Sue, I have so many of these left overs especially after I received from our craft circle that closed down completely. Now I don't dare go near a 'wool shop' so as not to be tempted.  I did have to go to get more white for my afghan so as to be able to finish it.
After that I'll start on sleeveless vest (from the stash) for next winter for my grandson.  He is growing so fast that nothing will fit from one year to the other.

SueB

Jeanne, thanks for the welcome back.  My husband died a year ago, late 2014 actually.  I have been busy with the aftermath of that.  So only a few months ago did I even have time to do needlework or go online for fun.  So much of that was for estate issues. 

Bubble, that sounds pretty with with and some color.  Glad we are finding each other here.

JeanneP

SueB.

Yes, I remember your husbands passing. Was sorry to hear it.  Takes time after it happens. Settling Estates get crazy but now are easier than 10 years or so ago. Computers have helped.
Maybe we should have a Forum on such as that on here.  Could be a couple of good retired  lawyers reading S and F. that would help some. I was thinking we had one in Seniornet. Maybe it was another forum awhile back.

Good thing you came in prior to S and F closing down.  You would have wondered what happened to it.
Are you still in the same home. Same city?
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Sue, the crocheting helped me a lot when Ben died two years ago.  It kept my thoughts concentrating on something else than myself having to deal with all kinds of issues.

tuckyquilter

I'm a quilter by passion, however I was taught all the other needleworks as a child.  I love scrappy quilts and ones made out of fabric left over from another project with something new added. 
I'm attaching a quilt made out of leftover fabric from my daughter's wedding dinner napkins.  It's a Bonnie Hunter block called Box Kites.  I did add a light polkadot fabric to make it more youthful.  It's for my 3 1/2 yr old granddaughter.

When I figure out how to make Photo Albums under my profile I'll share more.

maryz

tuckyquilter, have you been to the American Quilt Society museum in Paducah, KY?  I assume from your name you're from KY.  That's such a great museum.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

tuckyquilter

N
Quote from: maryz on April 02, 2016, 06:38:09 PM
tuckyquilter, have you been to the American Quilt Society museum in Paducah, KY?  I assume from your name you're from KY.  That's such a great museum.

No I haven't.  I'm in Southern CA. However I did live in Louisville for a few months when my husband & I were in transition to Japan. Didn't have any of my stuff with me.  All packed and shipped overseas.
I do want to go at some point though.  My step daughter just lives over in Owensboro. 

maryz

KQ, I hope you get to go sometime.  I've been fortunate enough to go twice.  We were in Paducah twice on river trips.  My husband even WANTED to go back the second time (that's high praise!).  LOL

so_P_bubble

WOW! that looks like a time consuming quilt with all those squares.  I have never tried quilting nor seen it done but it must be a treasure to own.

How long did this one take to finish?  It must have been a great occupation when there was no TV or computer to while the hours.  With internet I even have problems reading books lol

phyllis

My mother pieced beautiful quilts.  I have the last one she did, which is a little different since it is an applique top and not pieced.  I wanted to do quilts like she did but when I took a quilting class I learned very quickly that I just did not have the talent or patience for it.

I love the colors that you used in your quilt, tuckyquilter.
phyllis
Cary,NC

so_P_bubble

It must require a lot of patience.  I did hear that now it is mostly done with a sewing machine.  I wonder if it looks any different?

SueB

That quilt is a work of art.  I admire you for taking the time to do that and you must get great satisfaction working on it and looking at it later.  Glad you posted. 

Joy

Bubble,  oh my yes!!!  There is a big difference in hand quilting and machine quilting.  I would not have the patience to do any hand quilting.  It is kind of a lost art, but  many  people still do it.   The Amish people make beautiful hand quilted quilts. They have what they call Quilting Bee's.  A group of ladies get together and sit around a big quilting frame and do their work.  If you go to many Amish communities you can always visit a home or community center where you will find a group quilting.  And, all ages, too.

Many people now who make lots of quilts for organizations will do the machine quilting.  Another way is to tie thread at regular intervals over the whole quilt to help keep the backing and batting in place.  I have done both machine quilting and tie quilting.

Now, many of the big quilt shops have a machine that is called  a Long Arm Quilting machine.  It is a huge machine that you place the quilt on and the machine will do various quilting designs.  They are beautiful,  but you can still tell the difference  between that and the hand quilting.

I used to make small children's quilts for the Linus Project.  That is an organization named after the character Linus,  in the Charley Brown cartoons.  Linus was the little kid who always carried a blanket around.  There are many, many chapters and groups all over the country who make quilts for sick children, underprivileged children, or any child who is in need of some  TLC ( Tender loving care).  I am not sure if it is a world wide organization or not.  I mostly crochet small baby afghans now.  Not as time consuming as making quilts.  The chapter that I donate to has donated over 93,000 blankets and quilts since it started back in 2001.  They have to be handmade.
It is a very satisfying feeling to receive a note from a mother of a child that has received on of your blankets.  Each person's name and address is attached to each afghan or quilt.  There is a lot of work involved with volunteers doing pick-ups from sites where people can leave their items,  labeling each item, and then delivering them to the various sites. 

I am sure there are others who can add their interests in making quilts.

Joy

BIG BOX

Lindancer

Good morning, on a very windy day, 60mi. gust.

Years ago I started in a quilting class, we started out with a pillow, I chose th boy with a big hat, he must have a name, but I forgot.   I never finished the class, as the teacher said in front of everyone, she had never had anyone in her class that did the worst stitching she had ever seen.  It sure was not a help with me to continue.  My husband grandmother from Ala. made beautifl quilts, and they were all hand stitched.

At Homemakers, I have made the quilts that you tie, for aids babies.

Lindancer

By the way, I was deAngel, but I understood I could not get back in here with my old name.

so_P_bubble

I think you can always change back to your old name with the help of administrator.

so_P_bubble

Joy here we had a circle of women knitting layette for families of little means of for new immigrants.  It was very satisfying.

Kelly

Hi Lindancer
Thanks for the explanation why the name change.

Kelly

JeanneP

As the Amish area is close to me I see some beautiful quilts they make. None stitched on machines.

Now we are having the yearly quilt show here in town next week. A group of quilters make them . some are for sale but one is given to each new  child who lives in the Orphanage here. they do it once a year but each is only given one and has to take good care of it.
I always thought that nice afghans would be lot safer for them to use and not as much work to do. I know my GC. use to go through a afghan pretty fast as can use them all over the house watching TV etc. Easier to wash also
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

I now remember  being in one such Amish place in NC and enviously fingering those quilted heavy bed covers, feeling so sorry I could not fold one in my suitcase.  The idea of so much overweight stopped me, plus I would have needed a new suitcase just for that. They were beautiful and in such tasteful colors.

SueB

Hello to all on t his spring morning.  Actually it's fall on the southern hemisphere.  Nice days, warmer than it should be.  But I'm rapidly using up my yarn stash, now on a ripple afghan.  I have done baby hats, kid and adult hats knit and crochet.  Now I'm having to deal with 20 fruit trees and work being done on the house.  So the needles and hooks are silent.  But I'll get back to it all.  As I was looking around I found some bright pink.  That may be my next project if I can figure what to make with it.  Are you all motivated to create these days?

so_P_bubble

Is it thin pink? a lacy shawl maybe?