Random Image

birthday cake

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Patricia - How quickly do your apartments cool down, without heat?  I would think that in 24 below zero, that the temps inside would not be able to store heat for very long?  Even in my bland climate, our house cools down surprisingly fast when we lose power. (As we did a couple of times the past two days.)

Mary Ann - I did look at a few of the cams this morning, and saw nothing going on, on any of them.  There was a boat scheduled to arrive in Duluth, at 11:00, my time, but I got busy with emails, and missed it.

Sue and Larry - Looks like we got our wish, that Clemson would win over Alabama!  Ordinarily I never watch a football game, but while our granddaughter was attending LSU, I developed an interest in that team. LSU didn't defeat Alabama even once, during the four years that she was there! It's good to know that they aren't invincible!

angelface555

I remember waking very early to find myself wrapped in the blanket like a burrito when I usually kick off the coverage. But I fell back asleep until five. I went down to maintenance because my phone needed charging. While down there I met the office staff and some others in the common room soaking up the three space heaters' warming heat. So I don't have an answer for how long it took.

They don't want you to use space heaters because they spike the electrical costs and maintenance says space heaters mess up the heat sensors in the apartments, but as long as you get air coming in around the windows and you're not able to personally adjust your heat, I'll keep mine.

Then a while back, we had a brief fire alarm, so it's shaping up to be an interesting day!

Mary Ann

It sounds like there's never a dull moment in Fairbanks!

A few years ago in February, we lost power.  I don't remember what the outside temperature was but the inside settled as 55 degrees.  I have an inside unit so have insulation on both sides (other units).  I wore a Ragg sweater and was as warm as possible, but not too comfortable.  I was going to wait it out but mentioned it in an e-mail, probably to Norm, who was basking in Florida, and presently Terry came to take me home with him.  I think the outage covered three days.  There was something about the computer that Terry had to rig up so mine would work in Holland (where they lived then) and I got along fine.  The power went back on one evening and I had to wait until the next day to be brought back home.

Patricia, space heaters are usually 1500 watts (1.5 kwh) and if you know your electric rate, you can multiply the 1.5 x the rate and find out how much it costs and it is not cheap!  But I would use it too.

Marilyn, there are two instances today in Duluth where a ship is to arrive or depart (one each way) and neither did their things.  You can tell if the speed is 0.0 kn.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Marilyn, there is a ship going through the Soo this minute.  Considering they take about 20 minutes to a half hour to go through, the ship may still be there when you look.

PS at 4:53 ET, the Walter Mc Carthy is leaving Duluth.

Mary Ann (4:35 pm ET)

angelface555

Thanks for the info MaryAnn. While I've saved it, we don't pay utilities here. But with five floors of various offices, common rooms, utilities, etc., 196 one bedroom apartments and 20 efficiencies, that electrical cost would be high for the State.

The same higher costs when we run the hot faucets for minutes while it travels from icy cold to cold to lukewarm to warmer and then to hot, it's a waste of money. However, the State isn't the same as the previous Canadian company that believed an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

And yes I'm just venting.

angelface555

After the before mentioned issues, I received notice that one of my teachers for a 24-month course is suddenly no longer available for the last five months and we'll have a new instructor. She, my former teacher, had just emailed me this morning about sending my semester grade and next month's lessons.

Then I get this email...

" Special Weather Statement
Weather Updated: Jan 08 3:01PM
Issued by the National Weather Service
For Middle Tanana Valley, Alaska
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT UNTIL 6PM AKST WED ...MORE VERY COLD TEMPERATURES LATE THIS WEEK... COLD AIR WILL PUSH SOUTH OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN INTERIOR THURSDAY AND TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO THE 30S TO 50S BELOW FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY. WARMER TEMPERATURES TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY AS A DECAYING WEATHER FRONT MOVES ACROSS THE SOUTHERN INTERIOR SPREADING 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE AREA FROM MCGRATH TO FORT YUKON. THE COLDEST TEMPERATURES WILL BE IN THE UPPER YUKON FLATS AND UPPER TANANA VALLEY. RESIDENTS SHOULD USE CAUTION IF TRAVELING IN THE INTERIOR, AND BE PREPARED FOR THE VERY COLD TEMPERATURES."

Guess who's in the Upper Tanana Valley?

shirleyn

Good evening.  Another day trying to survive the chemo.  Not feeling too bad, but not really great either.  Just another two weeks now, til my last treatment.  Always something to look forward to.  At least I see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Larry, so glad to see you are feeling better & hope it continues.

Mary Ann, I remember living thru the Jan/Feb weather, just awaiting the oncoming spring while living in Michigan.  I am now so used to the Florida weather, I do not think I could go back to Mich. weather. 

FlaJean, hmmm, I would not think there would be that much difference in the weather between Ocala and the Panhandle.  Do you like your new area?  Thanks for the thoughts on my health.

Sandy, I am hoping your shots give you some relief.  I have had those shots before & they worked for me, for a while.  Of course nothing is forever.  Sigh!

Marilyne, I am sure my family visiting me did help to make me feel so good.  Always nice to see the kids.  Did I tell you, I have lost my hair.  Ohhh, talk about ugly!  Geesh.  They say I will not have a regrowth until about 3 months after my last treatment.  So that means mid summer.  My poor hair person – I usually have perms every 3 or 4 months and hair cuts every month. 

Joy, thanks for the thoughts on my health.  I am trying to think positive about this whole thing.  I am usually a positive type person, but sometimes things can get to me.

Patricia, so sorry to hear of your heating problems.  I hope they can get you back and running soon.

I see this has me all caught up once again.  Wishing you all have a nice evening.

shirleyn.
(~_~)

Joy

Good morning. I am here just to mark my place.  I woke up early and decided to just get up and get going. I have some things that I really want to get done today. I will check back later.

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another sunny morning but today we will only get to 55 degrees.  Only two things on the schedule for today.  In about 40 minutes my friend will be here to work with me an hour.  Then this evening our Wednesday night dinners start again for the winter.  It is wings, mac and cheese, salad and dessert and this menu seems to be a favorite with the Wednesday night dinner group.  I seem to be running in slow gear this morning.

Joy, I understand how easy it is to not get those daily exercises done.  I guess this is why it is easier when we can do them in a group as it sort of keeps us accountable. I hope you won your card game last evening. 

Sue and Mariyne, as you both probably know this was the second National Championship for Clemson in the last three years.  I have heard or read anything about Coach Saban planning to retire. 

Patricia, I hope it has warmed up, at least in your apartments.  At least you found a place to stay warm until the boilers were fixed.  I bet those asking you not to use the space heaters are not older people who require more heat.  I would keep my space heater as well.  You pay the rent asked and should at least be comfortable in your own apartment.  That is a terrible forecast for the next few days.  BRRR

Mary Ann, we had a couple of times when we lived in Georgia when we lost power.  I did have a kerosene heater that kept us from freezing.  I still have a fairly new heater in the attic but haven't needed it since we moved here.

Shirleyn, glad you are coming near to the end of the chemo.  I am like you in that I am glad I will never have to live where it gets so cold and would have to deal with snow.  Sorry that you have lost your hair but at least you know it will grow back.  I guess you will save a few dollars by not having to go to the beauty shop. :)

Mary Ann

Tom left about 8 am to I know not where.  School has resumed so I think he is teaching today but if he told me was teaching, I did not hear it. 

I've had my second breakfast this morning (the first is a cookie and coffee, not very filling, also I get up at various hours and today it was 8 am).  I am becoming addicted to the Canadian bacon and that is not a good idea, however, I have only one slice so that is it for today.

One of my sayings is "you get used to hanging if you hang long enough", so if it would be necessary for Shirley or Larry to come to live in Michigan, you'd get used to the cold weather.  It might take a couple of years, but you'd get used to it.  Fortunately for both of you, it won't be necessary.  I'm of an age where if it isn't necessary for me to go out, I don't.  If I do go out, I have a warm jacket (slacks aren't that warm) and Tom drives.  I remember going to Indps one year, probably prior to driving to Florida with Jim, and it was cold.  I sat on a metal bench at the airport waiting for Jim and my upper body was warm, my lower body was not.  Eventually, I stood up and was warmer all over.  It is 22 degrees now - and it's January!

Good morning, Joy. TTYL

Shirley, I am glad things are going along OK with your chemo - not great, but tolerable.  I'm sorry about your hair, but that is an effect of the chemo and should grow back.  Maybe you'll have curly hair when it grows back.

Patricia, I hope your next teacher is a good one and that you enjoy him/her.  It's kind of unsettling if you hear it while in the course.

Tom just came home and he had told me what he was doing; I had just forgotten.  Terry's SIL teaches in Alaska and has two years to go before she can retire.  She had to return to Alaska and Tom took her to the airport.  She's been staying with Jan and her parents.  Her parents are not well and I am sure she wonders every time she goes back whether they will be around.  It isn't easy getting from Point A to Point B up there and there are no roads from her town to the Interior.  I know Patricia and I have mentioned it before in this folder.

Marilyn, if you read this before checking shipping, the Soo has changed the view again and they are working in the favorite area.  The camera was moved a few feet and it looks like there is a lock that I had not seen before.

Mary Ann

Joy

MAry Ann, I was watching the Soo locks  about an hour ago and there was a ship just coming into the locks.   Not sure whether it was going east or west, but it was coming in from the left to the right.  It also looked like they had quite a bit of snow.  There were men shoveling snow and looked like they were getting ready to do some kind of work.  I also notice that the street hadn't been plowed, or whatever they do to streets out there.  But, the cars seemed to be traveling ok.  Just looked so cold.!  I couldn't make out the name of the ship.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

Mary Ann - I just read your message, so I took a look at The Soo, and see that a ship  is sitting there, and about ready to leave.  I hope I'll be able to read the name, but I think this new angle will only allow us to read  names of ships as they enter.  After it's gone, I'll check the Marine Map, and see who it was. Okay, looks like to was either American Century or Stewart Cort - both heading for Superior?  I sure does look cold there, for this California girl! 

Larry - No, I didn't realize that Clemson, had won the Championship before, until I heard the commentators talking about it.  So it wasn't as big a deal for them as I thought. When my granddaughter attended LSU, is when I started being aware of that Southern Conference, and I don't think that LSU ever won a single game over Alabama, in the four years that she was there?  Not sure about Clemson during those years? 

angelface555

Good morning, it's just fifteen below right now and I plan to slip out this morning and do a few needed errands before this evening's cold returns. I have a needed haircut scheduled for 11:30 so I will lose the "little Dutch Boy effect" and a few items to pick up for my Instapot.

Shirleyn, my grandmother, after her hair had been iron gray for decades, had it grow back after chemo in her natural brown! That was a shock to her and everyone else around her. My sister, a redhead, had her normal thick kinky curls come in straight and my younger sister's hair also came in straighter. My grandmother had breast cancer and my sisters and I all had colon cancer but every one of us had regrown hair differently.

Larry, I agree with MaryAnn, you become used to circumstances around you. I had been acclimated to winter cold for years and once walked ten miles in minus 68 because not missing work wasn't an option. I had worn a snowmobiler's suit over clothes, a sweater, and mittens over gloves with three pairs of socks. I remember halfway there I was sweating.

You need to dress in layers but I had overestimated. Now since I no longer go out daily and now that we normally don't have these long cold spells, it's difficult. The past three years have shown me that you can no longer assign absolutes to our weather patterns.

The management stresses the rules due to cost and for the same reasons they cut off tenant control of the various apartment heats. But I doubt they will ban the heaters and their use is safer than running the open door ovens.

Mary Ann

Patricia, we who live in cold climates have clothes that take care of the cold, don't we?  I remember your telling years ago of walking to work in -50 degree weather.  I've never had to do that, but I don't stay out of the weather if I don't have to (and I have no reason these days to get out in it).  I also don't stay out of the sun if I would be out for a very short time; I just don't lie in the sun to get a tan.

I just played a trick on Kendrick and I'm not sure he discovered the catnip or not because I haven't looked.  He was standing beside the end table where the catnip is kept in a drawer.  I also have this new jar with larger catnip that I've been giving him a pinch or two at a time in his bed.  On the davenport beside where I sit is a cushion for Kendrick and I put some catnip in the indentations (4 of them).  He could smell the catnip but he couldn't find it.  He would walk from the end table to the slider door with his nose in the air, sniffing and he could tell there was some around, but didn't know where. Finally I decided I had to get dressed so left him.  I'll look the next time I go into the living area to see if he found the catnip.

Marilyn, it is cold here today - 22.6 on my thermometer.  The sun is not shining, but no snow.  I'll go look at shipping when I finish here.  I saw a ship go through the Duluth canal and I don't remember which one it was - a Clarke, perhaps. 

Joy, left to right is West to East.  The new scene they put at the Soo is a bit west of where they were the last time and it looked like a lock was there that I had not seen before, but I imagine it was there all of the time; it just wasn't in sight.  Men were working on something but I was happy to see the view we had.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Afternoon.    I just wanted to share for anyone
who has had problems putting on Socks.... 
Bending over and trying to get them on. 

I found this below at Amazon...  and it works sooooooo
good that I just had to share.   

One more thing to make my daily life easy and keep me
independent. 

Sandy

Click on this url for Deluxe Sock Aid with Foam Handles!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U9TWCXU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Sandy, I admire the ingenuity of people who can come up with a device like the one to put on socks.  I either read about them or saw a picture previously.  I'm not at that state yet, but I will use it if necessary.  Thanks for showing it to us.

How is COLD Maine these days.  We've been at 22 and 23 all day, not exactly a heat wave, but with the sun trying to shine, it hasn't been a bad day - says she who sits inside most of the day!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Sandy - THANK YOU! I just now ordered Sock-Aid. I've been having lots of trouble putting a sock on my right foot. I was really struggling with it this morning. Left foot is fine. :-\

Patricia - Last night I watched an episode of "Living Alaska", on  HGTV, that took place in Fairbanks.  This one was a couple moving there in the middle of Winter, so every house they looked at, was covered with snow, and they were unable to see the yard/property, at all.  The houses themselves were log homes, except for one of them, that was ranch style.  All were beautiful, and the one they picked was my favorite.  The wife wanted a lot of property, because she was planning to raise chickens. The house they got, already had a chicken coop, that was heated.             

Mary Ann

Someone mentioned in a recent post that the Soo roads did not look plowed.  They do plow, but usually not to bare ground.  We learn to drive on snow, just go slower than usual.  The first snowfall is the worst because we have forgotten to slow down and the roads are a bit slippery at faster speeds.  When I was working, I drove 15 miles to work and 15 miles back on Expressway through town with cars ahead and back of me also one on each side of me.  I made it home OK.  The worst driving is on ice and we had that too but the city and state keep the roads in good condition.  I've not been to the Soo in winter but I can tell by the cam site that the road is plowed.

I don't think we got to 25 degrees today and I did not go out to test the temperature.

Mary Ann

Joy

Now I can say Good Evening.

I have been busy today and got done most of what I had planned to do.  I had gift bags stashed several places, mixed up and a mess. I sorted out the best ones and separated the Christmas ones from the other occasions and have them stored pretty neat.  I had some dividers for files, I think, and they all fitted in there real good.  I have a book case in my walk-in closet that I store things on the shelves and this rack sits good on top.  Finished wrapping gifts for my great-grandchildren, who I haven't seen yet since Christmas. So, got all the wrapping paper, ribbon, etc. all put together in a Christmas box and put on a shelf.  Did a few other little odds and ends and the is enough for today  I also only did 15 min. of the 30 min. exercise video, as it really tired me out.  So, all in all, it was a productive day..  I haven't felt much like doing things for a while.

MaryAnn, when I went back to the Soo locks webcam, it had changed back to the other scene.  And, I did notice that the street looked like it had been plowed, although not down to the bare ground ,  ,  and the sidewalks were cleaned.  And, it did look like it was so cold.

Marilyne,  I have been watching a show on the Nat'l Geographic channel called Life Below Zero.  It is really far out into the Yukon or Northern Alaska.   Patricia made a comment as to it being, I think she said, about 400 miles from her.  It is really the boonies.  Families live there and practically live off the land.  Hunting, fishing, etc.  It is kind of interesting to watch.  My son had told me about it.

Sandy, I have 2 of those Sock Helpers.   When I had back surgery over 10 years ago, they gave me one in the hospital and also got another one when I went to the rehab place. I still use it when I have had hard time bending down.  I also wear the compression hose sometimes and I have a plastic form that I have to pull the hose over a "hump thing", and have to wear rubber gloves to pull it down far enough so that I can get my foot into the toe of the hose.  Then, I use the plastic gloves to work the hose up my leg.  Sometimes I am really tired after I get done getting them on, but it works great.  I could never get them on without it.  I think I got it from a place that sells all kinds of gadgets for helping disabled people. 

It is getting time to look for some dinner. Not sure what I will find.

I still have not used my Instant Pot yet.  I have a grocery order I am working on and I have ordered a couple things to be able to make something.  I need to get some of these little odds and ends straightened up so that I can pay close attention to learn how to use the IP.  I have several recipes I want to try......one being a Chicken and DUmplings dish. I think that Larry did put the recipe in the recipe folder.  And, I think that Gloria de mentioned wanting to try it, but I told her maybe it would be better to wait until I see if it turns out ok.  (LOL)  I still am very confused about all them different things involved with cooking in the IP.

Hope everyone will have a nice evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I noticed too that the Soo had gone back to the other site.  Prior to that I had looked at the new site and they were working there.  Later, I got a notice that the site was unavailable and after that they were at the old site - and they still are.  All of the Duluth sites have arrivals and departures tomorrow.

Joy, you certainly accomplished a lot today, putting away so much.  I am on the computer a lot but I did get my own lunch.  Tom and I went to Cheers for supper as we try to eat out once a week.  I had a Greek Chicken Wrap and brought half of it home.  I could have eaten part of the second half but cutting into it makes a mess so I'll make the mess at home.  Tom had a BBQ Chicken dinner that looked very good. 

Our temperature is down to 21 now and expected to have a high of 29 degrees tomorrow.

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good Evening Everyone... 
I can still reach down to get my socks on..  my problem is
that I get wicked cramps sometime when doing it. 

So the Sock Helper lets me get the socks on with
out stressing out my mid section to the point that
it  doesn't get a cramp.   

It is very cold here now and snowy ... Tis the season here,
(February thru March) when our real Winter settles in.
So who knows what the next few weeks will bring.   I
am just ready to start looking forward to late Spring when
our weather turns good again.

Have a good night everyone.
Sandy

― Carl Sagan

angelface555

Good afternoon from a minus-six Interior at 4:33 PM. I find it hard to believe we will be back at minus fifty tomorrow, but they did say "WARMER TEMPERATURES TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY AS A DECAYING WEATHER FRONT MOVES ACROSS THE SOUTHERN INTERIOR SPREADING 1 TO 3 INCHES OF SNOW ACROSS THE AREA FROM MCGRATH TO FORT YUKON.

MORE VERY COLD TEMPERATURES LATE THIS WEEK... COLD AIR WILL PUSH SOUTH OVER THE CENTRAL AND EASTERN INTERIOR THURSDAY AND TEMPERATURES WILL FALL TO THE 30S TO 50S BELOW FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY." I'm hoping they're wrong!
I did get my hair cut, so I no longer look like the "little Dutch boy" but more like Dame Judy Dench.

Marilyne, I believe I know the house,(It's been for sale since last spring); you mean as one of my hobbies is looking at real estate photos locally as well as in NYC, LA, and villas and Chateaus in Italy and France. That reminds me that the house you liked with the painted domed ceiling has come down 4000 in price.

I picked up three petite steak packages today, and Dora thought I was crazy because of the price. She doesn't meal prep but shops weekly and watches what she buys. I told her it was actually a good buy as each package had three petite steaks. Each steak you cut into three pieces. So instead of nine steaks, I had 27. Am I the only one who thinks like this?

Now I am all set until March, provisionally speaking.

Sandy, I liked your sock helper, thanks! I generally sit down and use my hand to lift one leg over the other to put on socks and shoes or to tie my shoes. When standing, I can only lift my leg a few inches off the ground.

MarsGal

Does anyone remember Bob Ross who had that PBS painting lessons show? Last night I ran across a YouTube video about him. I was surprised to learn that he had a 20yr. career in the Air Force. His first deployment was in Alaska, and that is where he began taking painting lessons.

It is cloudy, cold and blustery this morning. 30o at 8am. The forecasters are scheduling us some snow on the weekend.

The season of exhibition shows has begun here. This week is is the PA Farm Show, the Auto Show will begin Jan 24, followed by the Great American Outdoor Show Feb 2, the Harrisburg RV & Camping Show Feb. 21, and the Home Building and Remodeling Show is usually in March some time, but I don't have the date. I used to go to these things when I was young, but now I don't care so much to deal with the traffic, crowds and all that walking.

Horror of horrors, the Commonwealth is thinking seriously about putting in a 12 lane section of I83 covering several exits just past the South Bridge in Harrisburg. I see it all now what with traffic going from 6 lanes to 12 and then back to 6 again, and all the lane switching everyone will be doing to get to their exit at the last minute. Sounds like another recipe for vehicle mayhem and disaster to me. This morning I could have sworn I heard the local TV newscaster say the Commonwealth is also considering upping I81 to 12 lanes from the Maryland border to Route 78. Both routes are very heavily traveled from the Maryland line up past Harrisburg, and are both big-time accident magnets.

Joy

Good morning.  I did sleep a little longer than I did yesterday.  It had gotten so cold that I was up around 4:30 and pushed the thermostat up and went back to sleep. So, I was a little groggy at first, but have a cup of coffee and here for a little bit. I will get something to eat in a little while.

Last night I decided pancakes would taste good, so that is what I had. I had bought some good Maple syrup for a recipe I was making, so that is what I had on them. Did taste good for a change. 

Last night, I did break down some boxes and tied them all up and have them out in our trash room.  I had gotten some meals delivered and they came in a Styrofoam cooler.  Can't put the foam stuff in the recyclables , so I was able to break it up and put that out in the trash bin.  So, that was the end of my day.

Have a bunch of papers to go through today and then vacuum up the bits of Styrofoam all over the floor. Got the kitchen cleaned up after I ate, and just have the dishwasher to unload.  Will, hopefully, get a little bit of the exercise program done a little later. I have a couple e-mails to answer.

Patricia, your little petite steaks sound so good.  I hesitate to buy steaks as if they aren't tender I have a real hard time chewing them. I am not a big meat eater, but would like a steak every once in a while. My son fixes a tenderloin of beef lots of times, and it is so tender, you can cut it with a fork.  He uses a dry rub on it and usually cooks it about medium rare, which most of the family likes. Just about as good as a piece of prime rib.

MarsGal, we used to go to RV and Camping show up in Harrisburg when we had an  RV.  It was always a fun place to go.  We also used to go to the Horse Expo at the same place.  When she was younger, my grand daughter had a horse and she was one of the reasons we would go. It was always so crowded, but we always had a good time.  I have been to several other kind of events there also.

I guess I need to get myself moving and make an appearance in the Soda Shoppe before I go find some breakfast.

Have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, pancakes sound good to me with or without maple syrup but I have some Instant Breakfast in the refrigerator that I have to drink sometime today or it will spoil.  I have had a cup of my flavored coffee but we're out of cookies and that is my usual first breakfast.  Tom is probably having breakfast at Mc D's where he finds a quiet corner and reads news on the computer.  I haven't gotten that far on my computer yet.  I'll put my trash together today as pickup is Friday.  When I get it ready today and put it by the door, Tom will take it out when he leaves for his Bible study class in the morning.  I can take it out if I don't have it ready, but it isn't picked up until 2 pm or so and Tom can take it out then.  When it's out in the morning, it's out and I don't have to think about it. 

MarsGal, I worked for 25 years in the appliance department of our electric utility and we sold appliances until the early 1970s.  Every year I worked at the Home Show standing in heels.  I didn't work every day but sometimes parts of every day.  I used to walk around the hall seeing what other vendors had and now when I see the ads on TV, I kind of wish I could go to a show again.  But my feet and back wouldn't allow it plus the fact we're not in the market for appliances.  It's hard for me to imagine 12-lane highways because we have nothing close here.  I think 3-lane is the most we have unless a fourth lane would be added near exits.  I think Indps has 5 or 6 lanes on I-69 and I-465 going around the city and eventually the right lanes end up as exit ramps and a new lane shows up from the left.  I used to drive that when I would visit but I don't do the driving myself down there any more. 

I had a small can of wet cat food and I gave that to Kendrick last night.  It was all gone this morning except for a few scraps; I gave him dry food for today.  I remember giving him some a while ago and he left it so he is particular as to what he eats.  This was something in gravy.  I think I have at least one more can and maybe next week I'll give him another.

It's a cold one again today and our high is to be 29 degrees.  Brr.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. It is a sunny and chilly morning here in South Carolina and isn't suppose to get above 50 degrees today. I just called my friend and told him I wouldn't be going to coffee this morning as just don't have the energy.  We did go to the dinner at the Church last evening but it wasn't memorable other than I sat next to a man who is new to our Church and I had never seen before. We had a nice visit.  I had texted Scott yesterday afternoon to ask him to meet us at the door where we enter the Church and then take and park the car, which he did and I really appreciated it.  He then came out and spent a couple of hours with us.  Ruby Tuesdays has a buy one get one free meal today.  We might go to that if I can get up enough energy by mid-afternoon.

Mary Ann, at least the Canadian bacon gives you a little protein to start your day.  Not a chance I would ever move to Michigan. I might have done so during my working years and did live in Illinois for 15 months.  That was sort of an ornery thing to do to poor Kendrick but at least it gave him something to do. :o 

Marilyne, the University of Alabama has been a powerhouse for many years going back to the days of Bear Bryant. It is something when people can be influenced to buy a property because of a heated chicken coop. 

Patricia, I had to chuckle when I read you were getting out for errands at minus 15 degrees before the cold returns.  You are indeed a hearty person.  I am sure you have the proper clothing to keep warm while you are out.  Do you have an electric heater that turns off if it were to get turned over?  I know they have made big advances in safety with the heaters. When one gets multiple meals from a piece of meat, as you described, it really makes the price per piece reasonable. 

Sandy, Pat got on of those sock aids when we had the hip surgery.  I am glad you found it and helps you.  There are an amazing number of different aids to help us when we need it.  I can still put on my socks but tying my shoes is no longer easy for me.  As soon as I feel up to it I need to get to the shoe store and get some Velcro fastener shoes or slip ons.  Pat has a long shoe horn that is also helpful. 

Joy, I think in future years I will probably use the gift bags in lieu of wrapping paper although I bought a new supply of wrapping paper for this past Christmas.  I also save them when I can to reuse.  Glad to see you were up to starting your exercise routine again. I can sure understand how tiring it can be to get dressed as sometimes have to sit on the side of the bed between pieces and pant to get my breath.  I am realizing how many small things I took for granted in the past. Have you watched on videos on using the Instant Pot?  That is the way Pat got started. 

MarsGal, I used to watch Bob Ross (and Alexander) before him and always enjoyed the programs.  I even tried my hand at painting like they described but I sure didn't create anything like they showed.  Do you have an exhibition hall for those shows you mentioned are coming up?  Is that 12 lanes in total or on each side of the road?

MarsGal

Larry, that is twelve lanes total. That will double what we have now. The similarity in painting method/style between Ross and Alexander was no accident. Ross became a student of Alexanders for a while.

Joy, did you also come up to see the Penn Nationals in October? They are still held. When I went, eons ago, they were part of the circuit that riders and horses had to compete in for a chance at an Olympic slot. When I was a jr. high student, I had a riding instructor (known only to me as Sally) who trained a few local Olympic hopefuls.

Sandy

Good Afternoon from the cold and windy
rocky coast of maine.

I am practicing with  my new   

Acer Crome Book.    Lot's to learn
which requires patience and ability to think new   
ways to do things.

Wish me luck.

Sandy

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Good luck, Sandy, I know it isn't easy to teach an old dog new tricks, especially on a computer because I've "been there, done that"!

It's cold here, too - 26 at 1:30.

Mary Ann

angelface555

Good morning from a minus 21 chilly day in the Interior at 9:16 AM.

Larry, it is warmer walking outside than it is walking in the cold hallways and common rooms. People wear hoodies here at 20 below. I know I've mentioned before about dry vs. wet colds, but it bears repeating.

Today I'm soaking a large pot of beans that I will split up into several different dishes. You can freeze cooked beans for eight months, so it is more economical than canned beans with all the salt and chemicals. I use various sizes of freezer bags, so there is lots of room in my standard size freezer

The various pieces of petite steak can also be used for tacos, fajitas and other dishes. I purchased a USDA Premium Choice Angus chuck pot roast,(13.49 for 2.47 lbs.); that I will also cut up. Since I mainly eat wild game for health reasons and because my friends give me their freezer overflow, I can afford to occasionally buy commercial meat products that are not fatty and may be used in multiple ways.

The USDA announced last month that ALL grain products in the USA have been poisoned with Monsanto's RoundUp and it shows up not only in people but also newborns as well as animals. It is in the grains we eat and there is no eradicating it. Another DDT I suppose and people don't care.

People hunt, fish and garden here. FDR sent some Dust Bowl refugees here, and they thrived. There are multiple farmers markets, and several area farms run subscription services. Many places offer areas for your own garden plots. I believe I do as I do not only for savings but also because it is a common lifestyle here and it is what I grew up doing with my family in the fifties and sixties. Folks don't like trophy hunting here altho there are guides that will take out of state hunters into the bush. We have both federal and state Fish and Game along with several other agencies and tribal laws and police, so it's very regulated.

That is why we don't have a state road system such as MaryAnn described. Each time it comes up on the ballot, rural towns, homesteaders and Native tribes vote it down. Too many crazies out there and unprepared, inexperienced people thinking they're going to live off the land and needing rescuing. Alaska does have the largest number of privately owned small aircraft and private licensed pilots.

The two heaters I have are under three years old and have shut off controls for tipping and also for timed periods.

Farrah is running around and attacking her mouse under the blue skirt. I brought it back out last week and to her its all-new again. I'm wondering if I can use the bathroom scale to check her weight? She is no longer heavy to pick up and certainly more active and playful. She was 15.5 at the vet's, and he felt she should weigh between 9 and 12 lbs for her body type.