Random Image

keani hugs

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

I made a post and couldn't get it posted earlier.  S&F just wouldn't work so I lost it.  Anyway, we are having a nice warm day with a high of 79.

Mary Ann, I hope you have a wonderful birthday gathering.  You are all in my thoughts and I hope everyone has a great day.

Mary Ann

Jean, I had trouble with my last post.  It took a long time and finally I got the 504 Gateway message.  I found the message had posted, but I wrote that Isaiah had "back" hair and I wanted to correct it and could not. 

Jackie, thank you.  I can see why April 11 is not a good day for you.  I had similar trouble with the age 67; a cousin and two friends died when they were 67 and I could hardly wait until I reached 68.  I've gone far beyond 67 and 68 so I'm out of those "woods" but the age bothered me for a few years until I was past it.

Tom just told me that Annie/Cate is not going to make it this afternoon.  She worked until 1 am yesterday and is working today.  Her SO is in the process of selling the business so I imagine they are in the process of getting things in order.

I'll tell you all about our gathering later tonight.

Mary Ann

MarsGal

Well, I'll add my name to the list. I couldn't post mine either. But, I did copy it to paste here:

Quote from: undefinedI can't believe it is after 1:30pm already. This morning, despite the wind, I went out and mowed most of the yard. The only bit I didn't get was down under the pines. I now have my bag of clover seed, so I can start filling in some of the depressions in the front yard and seed with the clover. Tomorrow we are getting rain again.

I checked on the Marine City webcam a few times yesterday and did see a very, very long ship. I couldn't get a look at the name though. All those fisherman out along the shore remind me of bees or gnats buzzing about. Yesterday, I saw someone haul out a rather large fish and put in his cooler, so I just had to Google fishing on the St. Clair to see what kind of fish they are going after. Best I can tell, mostly Walleye and Perch. I am surprised that all that buzzing about and changing positions close to other fisherman don't chase the fish away.

Obviously, it is no longer 1:30pm. Later on, I saw the Canadian registered Saginaw going upriver. It gave a long, then two short horn blasts. Of course I had to look that up. According to what I found it means low visibility. Huh! Well, it wasn't, but there was a small boat on the other side of the buoy. Maybe had trouble tracking it. Not likely.

Mary Ann

MarsGal, when a ship enters or leaves the Duluth canal, they blow one or two long and two short toots and the bridge toots back the same.  I take it that is a greeting, one to the other and they do it regardless of the visibility because they enter and leave at all times of day and in all kinds of weather.

My birthday is over and I had a great time.  There were 11 adults and three children.  Annie couldn't make it but James and Alicia brought a friend of Alicia's so the number was as we planned.  The restaurant did a good job with only one waitress.  Everyone ordered off the menu and paid for their own.  Paula and Eric came from the Lansing area and brought their daughter, Avery.  I know the little girls had not seen each other for a long time and they got along fine.  Erin and her friend from Indy came and Erin took hold of Avery and Paula was able to chat with others.  The girls all did fine and I did not notice a cry from any of them.  I had hoped others would chip in and help Tom pay for my meal but they did not but as Tom said, two couples had children and one couple came from Indy and everything worked out fine. 

I'm tired but it is a good tired and I expect I'll be able to sleep tonight so I can go to church with Dot in the morning.

MarsGal, if you can't read the name of a ship going through either the Soo or Marine City, look at the marine map and put your cursor on the ship icon and the name and destination will appear.

Mary Ann

Denver

WHAT A DAY.......it was delightful getting to see three of my four sons today.  We were invited to go watch the playoff game with the Denver Nuggets and the San Antonio Spurs, but to be honest, we had about all the fun we could take and we just wanted to get home, put on jammies and sit in our "rechargers", aka recliners!

MARYANN, your Birthday Party sounded delightful.  I am sorry Anne was not able to make it, but you were blessed to have all of the family you did have.  Sweet💞  I know it is hard to keep up with other's family members.  My best friend from childhood still can not keep track of our boys, and she has known them personally for YEARS🤪🤪. Kurt is our oldest son and he lives in Boston. Dave is next, Mark is the golf pro and he is in California and the youngest is Brian and he lives here. 

GLORIA de, that cat food can really spread out when it is dropped like it was!  I do hope someone came in to see you today and was able to help pick it all up? 

Oh wow, PATRICIA, you are having a real heat wave in your area today....I bet everyone enjoyed it! 

JACKIE, I can understand that April the 11th will FOREVER be a very sad date for you.  Rightfully so😭😭  It is a sad day for our family as well as it is my only nieces birthday...she was my brothers only child and she died from complications associated with childhood diabetes.  I have been hoping to see a post from you or a email telling of you getting Richards death registered so that you can have his funeral.  Continued thoughts and prayers for you. 

Michele had a MRI on Friday of her brain/head to see if the gamma knife treatment indeed got all of the tumors in her head.  She is of course sitting on pins and needles waiting for the report...  The doctors want her to have a PET scan a few days after her 4th chemo treatment, high will be this coming Monday, to see how the tumor is doing on her lung.  IF it is responding well then they want to stop chemo for a month and start radiation.  Oh my, the thought and reality of all of this is so overwhelming.

I hope you all enjoyed a nice day....pleasant dreams,

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...something else we both have in common, the date of April 11th...at least when that date comes round in the future we can hold each other in thoughts and prayers on that day...

Yes Richards death was registered, the lovely funeral director is at some time going to take me to the chapel of rest to see Richard, it wasn't done on the day of registration as he had another funeral to attend...

Richards funeral will be taking place Tuesday 7th May at 12.15.pm at the local crematorium followed by the short distance drive 0.9 miles-3 minutes to the church hall that was vacant on the day and I have booked, where we both went on a Wednesday afternoon to play bingo, and the Monday afternoon to play the box games, this will just be for refreshments - teas and coffees, as some will be travelling from back home, Bedfordshire...I know there will be many at Richards service...My friends Pam ( bingo chairperson) and Bernard ( box games and church helper ) they both know each other, will both help in the organising...I can count my friends who are stepping forwards...they will never ever be forgotten by me...

The lady who is taking the service is coming to see me at my home at 10.30 today Sunday, time now is 8.am..I am sure she will be taking me through it, and I have written the things I want to stand up and say...   

My main problem, my biggest worry at the moment is our solicitor is asking for a hefty to me amount of money to start the solicitor process off, of which I do not have, her message was assuming they the bank had already released his money to me, I had to tell her no, so she told me not to worry as she, the solicitor will - can do this, get Richards money released to me, I sent her proof of a cash machine statement, thankfully it was a recent one as the date on it was just a few days before he died, so as to prove how much money was in his bank account and which bank it was in, this really caused me stress...I am awaiting to hear she has done it, can do it, and successfully as otherwise I will be in a complete financial mess, and wont even be able to pay my home bills, nor the funeral...I have been told by a neighbour that the solicitors will easily get Richards money released, this has happened to him...This I have been told will going through probate, another word that terrifies me but again I have been assured by a couple of neighbour friends it wont take as long ( in months ) as I have been reading up on on the internet...

My daughter, not sure if she is coming, ( I told her if she thought anything of Richard she will be there with me following the hearse, and she must come with her son Daniel, my grandson who IS coming) all I know is she has pent up anger over me that stems back years, is utterly selfish, its all about her, ( she even accused me over the phone yesterday of its not all about me, and put the phone down on me, then rang me back ) after I told her she doesn't realise this time it really is all about me, I am about to bury my partner of 19 years, she will give me trouble, she has a drink and violence problem and fallen out with many of her click of large friends, also she has fallen out with her sons partner, the mother of my daughters grandson, says she hasn't seen her grandson in 8 months....I feel problems after everyone has left...
My grandson (30 now) is wanting answers as to why he was placed into care with a family as a child, he wants to hear from me and I have promised I will answer any question, well it was neglect from my daughter and violence problems within the home, ( her then West Indian long-term live in partner was a very good substitute father to Daniel as a baby, he loved Daniel as his own child ) the neglect was down to his mother - my daughter not from him... I wont be able to tell him face to face as I have promised now he is a grown man, if my daughter is present...

I need to stay alive for 28 days ( from when Richard died ) before the will kick starts, the funeral takes place 2 days before...today is number 17...

" There is no present like the time "

MarsGal

Good morning everyone.

Good to know, Mary Ann. Maybe there was someone on shore waving, kind like the train engineers do sometimes when people wave to them. I watch the webcams from my SmartTV which I don't have hooked up to a keyboard.

It is 50o. The weather forecast is for rain today, with the temps to stay below 60o. Yesterday I spent extra time out in the yard. As result, I was pretty stiff the rest of the day. Today, I think a trip to the grocery store is in order. I've been putting that off for the last several days as I didn't need anything critical, except that I am out of tomatoes and lettuce.

Jenny, my best wishes for Michelle's treatments to be successful.

Larry, if I close my eyes while listening to an audio book, I usually fall asleep. Last night I missed a whole chapter and must go back. I like bean soup, but don't make it often. My sister does, though. I think she likes to use those bags with the mix of different beans in them. I always like to use Great Northern or Navy beans. Years ago, I used to bake a nice Maple Baked Bean dish with chunks of bacon ends in it.

Sandy

Good Sunny,  warm morning here
on the rocky coast of Maine.. 

Big incoming day in Duluth....

See the schedule at "Harbor Lookout"
https://harborlookout.com/ships#0

You can stay at the bridge and
the harbor watching boats come in
and depart  continuously  all starting
this morning ... 

Enjoy.. the parade of boats..

Have a good day, Everyone...

Happy Sunday
Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Just checking in today.  I am too weary to sit at my desk very long.

Marilyne

Jackie -  It looks like everything is very well planned and organized, and that it will be a lovely service for Richard, on May 7.  I'm glad that your grandson will be there to support you. Pam and Bernard sound like they can be counted on, and will see to it that the the gathering after the funeral, will be a nice one. I will be thinking about you on that day,

Mary Ann - Your birthday celebration sounds like a good one!  So nice that everyone came, and all the different generations were represented.  Too bad that Annie was unable to attend, but you'll probably see her sometime this week.  You mentioned that her SO is selling his business?  Is he planning to open another business, so that he will be staying in the same area?

I'll be back later to say hello to all others who posted this morning!

wjoan

Larry, hope you are feeling stronger soon.

Mary Ann

Larry, thanks for checking in as you know we worry when we don't hear from you.

Dot and I went to church this morning, then went to Mr Burger, aka Cholesterol Pit, for our usual and we tried to solve the world's problems.  I need a nap but at 5 pm I'm not going to take one.  I looked at a few things on the computer, then got to watching ships and there have been a lot of them.  I have the golf channel on, but I really am not watching it.  I cannot watch the TV and computer at the same time. 

I had expected to see snow on the ground this morning, but there was none; the sun was shining and now it is 60 degrees.  Tom did say a friend had e-mailed him there was snow in South Haven, which is on Lake Michigan about 50 miles south of us.  When I looked at radar last night the snow was at the bottom 50 miles of Michigan and going toward the east, not north or northwest. 

Jenny, thanks for the order of your sons.  I knew their locations but not the order of their births.  You have a nice family.  It seems the younger folks locate far from home these days and I wonder if the improvement in transportation contributes to that.  I hope Michele's MRI shows what you all want.  Small as it is, our family is scattered too.  Tim's daughter is near Lansing MI and we probably have the least contact with her, but we're always glad to see her and be with her. (75 miles)  Tom's son lives in Holland MI (40 miles).  Annie lives near Rockford MI but works seven days a week and is rarely available. (10 miles)  Geoff lives in North Hollywood CA.  (?? miles)  Erin lives in Indianapolis.  (260 miles).  I guess I can't complain too much because my folks' sibs were far away too - Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota.

Marilyn, Annie's SO is an entrepreneur and has a business that supplies water to various places and businesses (this sounds more simple than it is and I don't know all the ins and outs).  He's a smart man and when he turns over the business, he will come up with some new idea.  It is my understanding that both he and Annie will work for the new owners for a while.

Jackie, it does look like everything is being taken care of with Richard, his funeral and ultimate burial.  You've done well.  May 7 will be here before you know it. 

MarsGal, when the ship blew its horn that day, there was a couple on shore with boards for someone on the ship to see.  They never turned toward the camera, at least not at an angle where I could see the sign, but I do believe the ship tooted because of them.

Tom has just left to meet Annie and her SO at an Outback near them.  All I ever caution him is "eat wisely". 

I've  used up a lot of space so I'll let someone else have some.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

It's been a long, lazy day today.  Neither one of us left the house today, which is very unusual.  Well, I did go out in the back yard a couple of times to rinse and fill the birdbath, and set the sprinkler on a few plants.  Other than that, I have accomplished absolutely nothing! 

Mary Ann - It does sound like Annie's boy-friend is an ambitious young businessman, who knows when it's time to sell, and move on to something else.  He will probably always do well, and end up with a comfortable life.  I hope that they get married some day.   

Jenny - I also enjoyed finding out the birth order of your four sons. I've often wondered about who was the oldest, and youngest, and in between!

In a few minutes the second game between the Sharks and the Avalanche will begin!  AJ is recording it, so we won't watch it until later.

I will be thinking about Michele tomorrow, and praying that she will get good news from her doctor, concerning the results of her MRI.

Mary Ann

Patricia, I would love to view the Juneau harbor, but they want me to turn off my Adblock and you know I won't do that.  At one time I was able to view Aruba, Fort Lauderdale, Miami and others, then one  day I got the message about the Adblock.  It's bad enough when you look at something online and then get ads pertaining to what you looked at. 

How are you and your weather getting along?

Marilyn, I have days like that when I hardly leave, however, unless I go to the mailbox, I have no place to go. 

Re Annie's SO - he is not a young man he's about 10 years younger than Tom.  We don't know if he took to her for a baby-sitter for his two teen-aged kids or she needed a father figure.  He's good to her and about every four months they fly to the Bahamas or a Caribbean country.  She shops a bit but no sight seeing, which drives her dad nuts because he likes to drive around.  It's a strange relationship but it has been going on three or four years.  She has come up with something about shipping that has increased his business.  She gets a little salary, but gets free housing and food.  We don't like the arrangement, but Tom has nothing to say about it.  She has a good relationship with her dad and we want to keep it that way.  She knows things can blow up at the drop of a hat and we've always said she is welcome to come here - where we would put her is a question, but we'd make room. 

Mary Ann, telling tales outside of school.

Lindancer

Good evening dear friends, it is nearly 10PM, time for me to be in bed reading.

MarsGal, the train track runs in back of Glenwood Village, and the noon train really blows the whistle loud. One of my neighbors has said its because he has a girlfriend in the park.  I am not sure that is true

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

MarsGal

Thanks, Mary Ann. I didn't see the sign holders.

Patricia, you and I are on the same wavelength again. I found the Juneau Webcam last night on YouTube. Those big cruise liners always give me the willies. They look so top heavy. I have no desire to take a cruise on one of those things. When I was young I daydreamed about learning to sail a sail powered boat, like a schooner. That came some years after wanting to be a cowgirl.  ::)

Lindancer, maybe he toots for the children at the park. I remember a YouTube cast about a youngster who, everyday, would watch the trains from the window of her Dad's track-side business. They would wave or toot. One day she disappeared. The train engineers got concerned when she stopped showing up. After a few weeks they asked after her and found that she was fine, but had a new school schedule that prevented her from being there. At least that is the story as I remember it. I think she used to put signs for them to read as they went by.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  It is another beautiful day but suppose to hit 90 degrees this afternoon.  I spent about 20 hours laying in bed yesterday and still had a good nights sleep.  I still don't feel very rested this morning but am determined to be up more today.  Pat said she wants to get a haircut today and if I feel up to it I will go along and get mine cut as well as I am beginning to look pretty shabby.  That is all that is on the schedule for today other than resting. I will try to offer a few comments today and am reading what everyone as shared since I read yesterday.  Thank you all for missing me and that is why I try to at least check in each morning. 

Mary Ann, I really wasn't interested in the golf this last weekend as don't care for the team process and that is probably because I don't really understand it or the reason for it.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone,
from the cool but sunny rocky coast of
Maine.   

It is suppose to be a nice day here...
(for early Springtime in Maine) .. 

Larry..  I don't like the team golf either,
unless, of course,  all of my many favorite
players are  participating..
Which they weren't this past weekend. 

Have a good day, 
everyone ..

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Larry and Sandy, I don't like team play in golf either.  I did look in on it occasionally but I had the sound off.  I've heard of most of the players, but as it was a championship game, the younger players were not there. 

Tom told me our sprinkling system is being activated today and it's raining (not hard because I can't hear it). 

It's cool here, too, Sandy - 41 degrees.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Larry - sounds like you're feeling a little stronger this morning.  I hope it continues, and that you'll feel like going with Pat, for a haircut. 

Sandy - nice to see you here too!  I enjoyed the boat-watching, off and on all day yesterday.  I'm really hooked on the Marine City cam, because I enjoy the knowledgable people who are chatting to the right of the screen.  I've learned a lot about many of the ships, just from reading what they have to say about each one. 

Patricia - I took a look at the Juneau cam yesterday, and added it to the row of cams on my desktop.  I agree with MarsGal, that those cruise ships look so incredibly awkward and unwieldy!  The only cruise I ever took, was from Hawaii to Los Angeles, and the ship was one from the old Matson Line, and only had three decks . . . the lower, the middle and the upper!  It was plenty big enough for us, and by the time we got to LA, we knew just about everyone on board. 

MarsGal - I also went through a long phase of wanting to be a cowgirl, or a jockey.  :)  (I think that was after I saw Elizabeth Taylor in National Velvet).  Anything that involved horses, was fine with me. Then when I got older, I dreamed of being a Big Band singer like Peggy Lee or Helen Forrest. Needless to say, that never happened either.

MaryAnn - That's very interesting about Annie's SO, being so much older than she is.  I've looked at her Facebook page off and on over the past couple of years, and there are lots of pictures of her, but none that show him.  Lots of young women are attracted to older men, and it usually works out well for them.  My second to the oldest granddaughter, married a man who is about 25 years older than she is.  He's only two years younger than her mother. (my daughter Shelley.)   At the time we didn't think it would last, but they appear to be very happy, and have one child - a daughter who just turned 14.   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, for one thing Annie's SO doesn't care about having his picture taken.  He's a controlling person, we don't mind being with him, however, I'm not sure he knows where or why I fit in.  To Tom he talks mostly business and he's not too sociable.  He's not rude but I think he doesn't know how to socialize. 

I can't remember what I might have wanted to be when I was young.  The only cowboys or cowgirls I came in contact with were in the western movies we saw when I was a teen-ager.  I always liked to sing but I couldn't remember the full lyrics of any song - but I can now!  I never thought about marriage and/or children - and I didn't get married.  Few dates, but nothing steady.  I must have had an empty mind in those days. 

I didn't see a lot of ships yesterday and I haven't had much luck today, either.  I guess I look for them at the wrong time. 

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Patricia, I like that Juneau web cam and added it to my favorites.  It is surprising that the only way to get to your capital is by boat or plane.  I did read a couple of years ago that Palen rarely went to the capital when she was governor.

I see a few have posted this morning.  I have a few household things to get done today like washing a few clothes, running the mop over the kitchen floor and the weekly change of sheets.  The usual things that we have to do even if we don't want to. 😊  The kitchen is small but very well arranged.  My husband doesn't do much yard work anymore so he helps around the house and we make breakfast together in the mornings.  That has turned out to be my favorite meal.

Last year I got sick after eating some eggs and stopped eating eggs for awhile.  Salmonella is very common in eggs and I like my eggs over easy which is supposed to be unsafe.  I found an egg company that has a patent for pasteurizing eggs in the shell and it is safe to even eat raw eggs (which I don't).  Our local grocery carries a small number of cartons of these eggs so now I enjoy my eggs again.

We are having a nice warm day with a high of 82.  I need to get busy.  Enjoy your day everyone.

SCFSue

Good morning, Jean.  Do you still have cardinals down your way?  I've had one small flock that stopped here for a couple of days, but soon took off for someplace north of here.  They have never nested in my yard and I imagine they just rest enough to get started north.

SCFSue

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. I see that no one posted since I did yesterday but I want to check in this morning.  We are suppose to have a clear day today getting up to 90 degrees this afternoon.  I have an 11:30 routine annual appointment with lung doctor.  Scott will be here to take me.  Yesterday in trying to disconnect the old Dish box from the new I did something that caused us not to get television  from the Dish signal.  Scott will fix that when he gets here as those things are things he likes to do.  The boxes were on the floor and I tried to search out the problem but can no longer get down on the floor and gave up.  Pat and I had our audio books to listen to.  The only thing we missed seeing that we would like to have seen in Jeopardy to see if the very brilliant man won again yesterday.  I know when I get home I will crash and spend some time in bed as I didn't get a wink of sleep last night.  No particular reason but just one of those night I couldn't get to sleep regardless of what I tried.

Sandy and Mary Ann, nice to see I am not the only one that doesn't like the two man golf tournaments.  They will be back to the regular one man competition this week and next at least. Sandy, Glad you are getting some nice days.  A lot of the big name players skipped last week.  I can sure understand why they need to take a week off once in a while as it is a long and grueling schedule.  Of course, I am sure they are probably out practicing each day to stay sharp. 

Mary Ann, I am not looking forward to watering the lawn but will have to.  It isn't hard as just have to go out in the garage and turn it on. 

Marilyne, I did go with Pat yesterday and we both got haircuts and then we went through the drive-thru at Dairy Queen and got two Turkey club sandwiches so Pat didn't have to cook last night.  I saved mine for supper and cut off maybe an inch of it to eat and gave Pat the rest.  I just have no appetite anymore and am eating to live and not the other way around, which I would much prefer.  I don't remember what I wanted to be when I was a child. 

Mary Ann, as long as Annie's SO doesn't harm her she will be all right.  She is an adult and has the right to make her own decisions and you and Tom are wise to accept her choices.

Jean, nice your husband helps you in the kitchen.  Other than getting Pat's coffee water ready and the cup down and the coffee pod in the Kuerig I don't do much in the kitchen although usually feel up to putting together my own breakfast, which is simple and requires no cooking.  I certainly understand why you would want the Pasteurized eggs with your experience.  I don't want eggs unless they are hard boiled and put into potato salad  or something like that.  If I eat eggs I want them scrambled and well cooked. 

Sue, Pat has had her hummingbird feeder out for several days but has yet to see a hummingbird.

Joy

Good morning.  A pretty sunny morning, and supposed to go up to almost 80º today.

I did not get in here yesterday,  I wasn't feeling all that great and still don't feel all that much better.  I am just so tired and do not feel like doing anything.  Kind of like you, Larry.

Good to see you long message this morning.  I did not sleep very well either. 

I did have a nice surprise on Sunday.  I thought I was going to my son's for steamed crabs, as an early birthday dinner. However, when I got there, I was very much surprised to find they had arranged a early surprise birthday party.  And, all of my sister-in-laws were able to be there.  Plus an old family friend .  The plans were for several nieces to bring them all.  It was the first time all of us had been together for a few years.  I was so surprised, as I was not expecting that.  It was a fun evening.  All of us sat at the dining room table together and had a delicious meal and talked and talked and talked.  Reminisced about so many fun times we had had over the years.  The younger generation sat out on their deck and had their dinner.  Just didn't have steamed crabs, but that was ok.  That will be for another time. 

My birthday isn't until next week, but they had it early as my son and DIL are going to be away next week.  This Sat. my middle son and his wife and I are going down to the Eastern Shore of Maryland to a seafood place that my son had heard about.  And, on the way, we will make a stop in Cambridge to go to a new Harriet Tubman Visitor's Center.  For some unknown reason, I have always been interested in the life of Harriet Tubman and her missions to help the slaves get free.  She was from Maryland and had a very interesting life.  I had heard that this new Center is so interesting. So, that should be another nice day.  I hope I feel better by then.

I have been up for a while, but still need to get some breakfast.

This board has been kind of slow lately.  I hope everyone will have a wonderful day.

Joy
BIG BOX

MarsGal

Good morning everyone.

I don't have much to contribute today. We are to get up to 70o this afternoon. It is about 53onow.

Yesterday afternoon I managed to get one depression in my front yard filled and clover seed planted. I was counting on a few sprinkles today, but since it doesn't look like that is going to happen, I am going to have to water that area a little today. 

This afternoon, I plan on spending a little time in the back or side yard weeding and breaking down more sticks for the trash.  I will probably be out in the yard a little tomorrow too.

Tomorrow is supposed to be the local Welsh Society meeting, but neither I nor my sister have gotten an email confirming where we are meeting, nor have we gotten an email reminder of the meeting. I did leave a voice mail for the person gathering the membership fees for the coming year, but have not received an answer. There was some talk of relocating the meetings after Hoss's didn't reserve a room for them the last time. Apparently that has happened several times. This is the meeting they will be electing officers. Sue and I aren't members yet, so it won't matter if we are not there.

Mary Ann

What nice long messages this morning.  Mine probably will not be so long.

Larry, you do manage to keep busy somewhat, even if it is getting breakfast ready.  I have a cookie and coffee when I first get up, then don't eat again until around noon.  If my milk is OK today, I'll have cereal and if not, I'll have my eggless Benedict.  I have English muffins to use.  Of course, I don't make the fancy sauce, I just put some mayo and mustard together, grated cheese on top, then top the whole thing with a slice of Canadian bacon and put it in the microwave for a minute.  That fills me up until the next meal. 

Joy, you had a nice surprise party for your coming birthday.  My birthday party was a few days afterward. 

Tom is teaching today and he's happy that as he has the same classes occasionally, the students are recognizing him and being more respectful.  He's had trouble with some of the older students but Tom can talk with them now and remember some of the names, so it is becoming a more pleasant experience.  I hope Tom makes arrangements to have his car looked at soon; it has a horrible jerk when he starts out.  I know nothing about car innards but he said there is a valve that needs cleaning.

MarsGal, I hope the weather is good for when you'd be out in your yard.  I used to love doing lawn work and had an electric mower that was light enough that I could manage it.  I really bought it when my dad had trouble with the gas mower - he could not get it to start and pulling on the cord was hard on him.  He even learned to mow with the cord to the side so we never lost a cord!

I've probably told this before so I'll do it again - one year I planted 100 tulip bulbs and only a few came up as moles got them.  The next year I planted more, maybe not 100 but a lot, and with each bulb I put a couple D-con pellets.  I had tulips that year.  I am always concerned about my colchium bulbs where the foliage comes up now, but the flowers don't appear until fall.  I seem to have a good crop this year.  I had several little blue flowers and my snow drops came up.  Since my neighbor takes care of my area, I never know if I'm going to have things or not.  She likes a more formal garden and I like it kind of wild.  Never the twain shall meet!

I really want my garden to be hands-free because Tom will not do anything after I am gone so if I can have something like myrtle which blossoms and stays green, it will look nice with no work.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Jenny - I'm hoping we hear from you today, as to what the next step will be in Michele's treatment plan.  I read the bad news last night in Soda Shoppe, that the MRI revealed more small tumors on her brain. I feel so sad for her, and for Dave and the children, and for your entire family.  She is on my mind, as I continue to pray for her, always hoping that there will be something new that can help her.

Mary Ann - I just saw your message as I was about to hit send.  I'll return later to post more, and to say "hello" to you and MarsGal, Joy and Larry.  I'm getting ready to go with AJ, to the dermatologist, to get the stitches removed from his ear. So glad to be done with it, as it's been difficult to keep the ear covered for the past ten days.

FlaJean

It is warm today and will get up to 80 by this afternoon.  I sat out on the back porch for a little while but didn't see the bluebirds.  Larry looked into the birdhouse a few days ago and there were two eggs.  The birdhouse they are in we don't see that well from the house, and we never even saw them taking their building material into the house for their nest.  Now I'm wondering if they have left the nest without us even noticing.  Last year they used the birdhouse directly across from our back door and we were able to watch them taking the material into the house and then did see one of the babies when it flew to the bird feeder.

Marilyne, when my husband had a bad type of cancer cut out behind his ear, I had to change the bandage.  (He was constantly telling me exactly what to do)😁  I was glad when that was over but he has to have regular checkups and every time they do a little something.

About the only thing I have planned for today is a possible trip to the library.  I got 5 or 6 books last week and didn't like any of them.

Sue we have several cardinals who are regulars.  At least I think they are the same ones but all cardinals look alike to me so I'm guessing.  Our goldfinches are all gone to cooler climes but we have several purple finches and a brown thrasher that visit every day along with the bluebirds and of course sparrows.  Since we got a bluebird feeder for the mealworms that bigger birds cannot get into, we are not seeing the big grackles who try to eat all the food.

Have a good day everyone.