Random Image

Site 11 Mt.Princeton

Owner: Shirley
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:31:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marilyne

Jackie - I'm so glad that everything worked out beautifully, for the service, as well as before and after.  Richard is looking down, and is so proud of you, and the way you have handled everything!  Being on good terms with his sister, as well as your daughter and grandson, is such a good thing, and is important for your future happiness.

Joy

Mary Ann,  I can't say that my birthday celebrations were real noisy, but today, the actual day, has been very quiet.  I did have several phone calls from a cousin and a good friend, who I hadn't talked to in a while. Otherwise, I have not been out of my apartment, so I haven't seen anybody around. I did want to go down and sit outside in the 80º, but the phone calls were more important.  Plus, since I am not a morning person, I fooled around on the computer and left a couple chores until it was just too late to go out and sit. Tomorrow is another day, but haven't heard the weather yet for tomorrow.

My son had asked if he could bring dinner, but I said no, as they have done enough. But, he said they would come over and bring dessert.  I have just ordered pizza for all us, so that will be dinner. I happen to really like Domino's pizza and I know I will enjoy it.  And, dessert will be an added treat, even if I don't know what they are bringing.  We have a really good bakery in our little town, and he usually will stop there once in a while to get something that is good. So,that is probably what he will do.  My younger son did message me a Happy Birthday message, but he doesn't get off from work until late,so I don't think I will see him.  My older son and wife are in Asheville at the Biltmore Estate place, so that is why they had the surprise party. So, I think I have been well treated for being 85 years old.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, I think both of us had good, extended birthdays.  I've got 10 years on you. 

I've been watching ships on the St Clair River, missed a couple when I fell asleep at the switch.  I have a question for anyone who does any amount of fishing - there are scads of small motor boats on the river and I notice many of the men either stand up or sit on high chairs.  I wonder what is the advantage of being so high versus sitting on the boat seats.  Anyone know?

The last I heard the dealership had not called Tom but he does have a loaner.  He was at school today and wasn't too happy with his class.  He had 6th graders and he said they were not very respectful.  He often is able to talk with the teacher of a class and I am sure he mentioned it today.  He really likes teaching and I wish he had gone into education instead of religion; he always has been a good teacher even if that was not his vocation.  My dad, who was a shop teacher, would be proud of Tom.  Actually, he'd be proud of all three grandsons because they did well with their lives, however, Tim and Terry both have died and Tom is the only one left.

We've only gotten into the low 60s today with sun!

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning.  Looks like I am the first one here this morning.  It is a little hazy, and I think there are showers due later today.

Mary Ann,  I think our birthdays are pretty much over for another year. Two of my sons did come by last night and we had pizza and some good pastries. My youngest son came in carrying a box with a new TV in it.  The TV in my bedroom is old and he thought I needed a new one. This is a one of the newer kind, as my other one is still the big, boxy one.  He didn't have time to set it up, but will come back later and do that. He said it is real easy to operate and I shouldn't have any problems understanding how it works. He said something about being able to get into my internet with it. So, it will be interesting to learn how that works.

My sister-in-law's son just set her up with a new TV and new phones and she has absolutely no idea how to use them. She gets so upset as her children think that she needs all these new things and she was very happy with the old ones she had. She said they think they are helping her, but it just keeps getting more and more confusing. My son is very good with all the new gadgets and he will make sure that I know how to use it. I hate when my kids spend money on me, but I am grateful for all they do for me.  There are so many people who live where I do that have children who hardly ever come around. I am most fortunate that 2 of them live very close by.

Not sure what I will get into today. Maybe another day of rest.  My back has been bothering me, so I might just "pamper" myself a little bit.

I just heard about another school shooting in the Denver area, and they mentioned Highland Ridge and that name sounds like the area that I seem to remember hearing Jenny or Carol mention before.  I just don't know when all these senseless shootings are going to stop.  It is just so heartbreaking to hear the  kids describe what a terrible traumatic thing it is to go through.  Something they will never forget. 

I have had breakfast so I will check a couple more places here in Senior and Friends and I have a couple other sites that I like to check on in the morning.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

Joy   
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, it is nice when family members pay attention to us.  As you mentioned, you have people in your building who hardly ever see their children. 

Marilyn, I just watched Paul go through the Soo, or at least through the part we see.  The ship stopped for a few seconds.  It was going so slow, I could not see how a large ship like that could go so slow - probably 1 knot - and Tom said there was a tug on the other side.  I didn't know there was room enough for a tug beside the freighter. 

We have a sunny day so far and I think we'll get to the 60s which will be nice.

Robin will be here this afternoon to clean and Tom is teaching, then going to exercise class.  He says his legs are still wobbly.  We both have leg trouble, but mine is at night and his during the day.  I have trouble sleeping sometimes because of my legs.

Hump day today.  The Geico commercial always has the camel ad on Wednesday.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We are to have a mostly or partly cloudy day all day with a high of 85.  I have a doctor's appointment with the kidney doctor in about 2 hours.  Scott will take me so I can use the transport chair.  I did have a good day yesterday but not as peppy this morning. I tried to put on my shoes this morning but my feet were too swollen so have had to switch back to my house slippers.  I don't have much time to post this morning so will limit my comments.  I have read all of the postings.

Mary Ann, I am very concerned about your going to your mailbox without something to hold on it.  The aluminum walkers (not rollators) weight very little and fold up for storage.  Don't mean to mettle but do care about you and these falls are for the birds.  I looked in to the Five Star life alert yesterday, which is what Stacey had, but they are having some product issues and are recalling all of their units.  So I am going to have to research some of the other companies.  

Joy, what a nice birthday present and you will see big changes in the quality of the picture on the new set.  You are fortunate to have attentive sons.  I am also fortunate to have such an attentive son.

angelface555

Larry, I'm hoping you have a good doctor's visit this time and with some good news! And I hope everyone's day is a good one!

Here are six photos my sister sent me from a small Beijing jade museum.

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=154863

Mary Ann

Larry, thanks for your concern about my walking to the mailbox.  I know it only takes once to fall, but I very seldom go for the mail and I let Tom get it.  It is just that going to the mailbox is about as far as I care to walk.  Or am able to walk.  I am perfectly content to let Tom do it. 

Grand Haven looks awfully quiet this morning.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - the horse was my favorite of the jade sculptures, but they are all interesting.  I'm trying to figure out what that is that's depicted in the first photo? Unique, with that intricate open design.

Larry - I'm hoping that your visit with the kidney doctor today, will be helpful.  Your swollen feet, must make it even more difficult for you to maneuver your way around the house, without losing your balance.  I'm sure you're already on a diuretic, but the doc may try you on something new, or a combinations of medications? 

Jenny - I'm anxious to hear from you this morning, concerning the school shooting.  When I saw the story on the news yesterday, and they said the name "Highland Ridge", I knew that was the town where you live.  The first thing that came to mind, was that there was a possibility that one of your grandchildren attended that school??  I certainly hope not, but I'm sure your young grands are terrified, regardless of where they go to school.  I don't see this frightening trend ever ending. :(  I'm afraid we have lost our freedom to go to school, or church, or any public gathering, without the underlying fear of potential violence.

Mary Ann

It was only this morning that I heard Highland Ranch mentioned regarding the shooting in Denver, whether here or reading the news.  But I knew that was where Jenny lives and probably Carol too.  I wonder, with some hearing "Ridge" if the announcer's accent made Ranch sound like Ridge, or maybe he/she really did pronounce it as Ridge.  As I've said many times before, I'm glad my future is behind me.  I shouldn't even say this lest someone will act on it, but I do not own a gun, I've never even held one and at my age, I'm not going to start now.  Jenny, I do hope your family is safe - Carol too.

I liked the lattice-work bowl of the jade articles shown.  I had a hard time figuring if it was photographed from the back but finally decided it was the front, from other things that were near.

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

Both the Federal and State governments have committed money to build a third lock at the Soo (Sault Ste Marie) so if you see some strange activity going on, I believe they are doing some of the groundwork for it.  The first channel and lock is the Mc Arthur Lock and the second is the Poe Lock.  I don't know what the third one will be named or if they have even chosen a name. 

Mary Ann

MarsGal

I used to know someone who lived in Highland Ranch back when I was working at Fry Communications. One of his co-workers was the one who gave me the nickname FryBabe, which I still use on our sister site.

Marilyne

Mary Ann - The new lock at The Soo, will be further away from the camera, so we likely won't get to see much there, except for the boats arriving and leaving.  Is there a reason why the first lock (McArthur Lock?) is so seldom ever used? I did see a boat there once when I first started watching, but I think it was a large pleasure boat of some kind?

I'm sure you already know this, but thought I'd mention that Jeopardy, is doing the Teacher Tournament this week and next week, so James will not be back on until it's finished.   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, the Mc Arthur Lock is not as large as the Poe Lock and many of the ships are too large for that lock.  Who knows, but the time the new lock is built they might have a more sophisticated method of showing the ships.  The number of ships has increased to the point they feel it necessary to build the new lock. 

Thanks, I did know about the Teachers Tournament but I haven't been watching the program anyway. 

Robin is here to clean and I am staying out of her way.  So is Kendrick.  I don't know where he is, but probably downstairs.  Tom has been teaching but I think by now he's in his exercise class. 

It's been a sunny but cool day here.

Mary Ann

Lindancer

Good evening Larry, getting a panic button is a must. I have

use mine 4 times already.
a policeman was at the door right away

Well for the first time I used  a transport chair they gave me.  I had to go to the bank and get somethings straighten out. It just felt odd to have someone push me in a wheelchair. Like you My feet are so swollen I could not get shoes on.

Prays and and hug to all my friends

Click for Riverhead, NY Forecast

Denver

HELLO from a very dreary/rainy day in the Mile High City!

We are appreciative of this nice rain we are receiving however the cool down tonight with the rain turning to snow...not so much!

Unfortunately, as you all probably know by now, the alert that I got on my iPad yesterday as I was posting did turn out to be quite serious.  Thankfully it was not at any of my grands schools, but it was quite close to my and Carol's home.  One of my cousins was a student at Columbine at the time of that dreadful shooting and sadly her 9 year old son is a student at the STEM school where the shooting was yesterday.  Two times THIS MONTH my grands schools have been put on lock out and a parent has to come to the school and sign them out with picture ID. All after school sponscored activities are cancelled.  How sad that our children are having to live in this terrible reality these days.🙏

MARILYNE, our match up is about to begin tonight.....Of course I want my Avalanche to win but IF the Sharks do, that is good for you🏒 Thank You for the concern show; towards my grands...I am sorry I did not get in to post earlier. 

JOY, thank you about your concern also regarding the shooting here in Colorado. 

I must get this posted.

Enjoy your evening and pleasant dreams to all.  Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

MarsGal

Jenny, how awful that history has repeated itself for you cousin. That must have a lasting emotional effect on her and her family. My thoughts are with them and others that were affected.

I ran across the Helsinki harbor area this morning, well early afternoon for them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srq77f5IpKk    Interesting views. six of them, include the presidential building and an open air market along with a marina, and docks. Each view lasts a few minutes so it takes a while to cycle through.

Last evening, I watched six or seven ships, in short order, going up river (except for one). Two were tugs (one was the Dorothy May) pushing ships. One small boat managed to get close enough to the Algonova to ride its bow wake. I am surprised that it didn't sound a danger signal. Later, another ship did (five short blasts) a bit later, but I didn't see anything to account for it. What a busy evening it was.

The weather is cloudy, to only be in the 60s, with some showers. Since I didn't get around to the grocery store yesterday, I must do that today. Otherwise, I don't have anything in particular planned, so I may catch up on my reading.

larryhanna

Hi Everyone.  Just checking in this morning.

Sandy

Good Morning Everyone, from the
overcast and cool rocky coast of Maine.
It looks like it is going to stay this way,
between overcast and rainy for the next week or two.

May is going to be a rainy one. 

I  hope that Larry will drop in and let
us know how his day was yesterday .. .

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Sandy

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

MarsGal, I think I have never seen a picture of Helsinki.  They certainly have a lot of cars and I wondered where they were made.  So many countries make cars these days and they all look alike.  I saw more than one ship go by Marine City last night, but I cannot name any of them now.  I saw the Saginaw go by a short time ago today.

Sandy, it is kind of dreary here today.  I looked at radar and it showed our entire state covered by rain.  What rain we've had has not been hard but it's just as wet.

Hi Larry, I hope the day looks up for you.

Tom has left for mid-afternoon - a meeting early this morning, then teaching later.  He was warned by the regular teacher that the students today will not be an easy crowd. 

Last week Robin got me started on shaping up my computer room and we had several piles of things to sort through.  I didn't do one thing with them during the week, so I'd like to dedicate at least an hour a day to my project.  Easier said than done!!!

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning. Another partly cloudy day in store for my area. I am  so tired of all the rain.  I am afraid most of the country is in for a rainy summer.

Nothing new this morning. I do feel better today.  My back feels a lot better.

Larry, good to see you checking in.  Hope you will have a good day.

I do have a couple things to do today, and I do feel like doing them.  That is a big change for me.  I just have been feeling so tired and lazy.  Not sure why this is happening, but happy that I do feel better.

Mary Ann, I am a paper collector and have several piles of junk mail, papers, stuff that needs shredding. Or sometimes I just   use a magic marker to black out my name and address on mail.  I just get so much junk mail.  And, magazines, which I  hardly even look at. Then, I will bundle up a pile of them and put them in the recycle bin.  And, I do have several cardboard boxes that I need to break down for the recycle bin. Some people just throw their empty boxes in the bin, but that takes up so much room. We now have a  big  container in our trash room, so we don't have to take that kind of stuff down to the outside bin.  A lot easier to be able to just throw the things into it.

I need to get going. I will check back in later today.

Joy

BIG BOX

Marilyne

Good morning everyone.
Mary Ann and Joy - I'm trying to get organized, just like both of your are doing.  I have such good intentions every day, but somehow, the day slips by, and I don't do a thing. 

Mary Ann - I need someone like Robin, to push me a little, or to work along side me.  AJ will help to a certain extent, but he really doesn't care if there is a mess or not.  I do believe that most men, honestly don't see the clutter that accumulates . . .  although my father was a neat-nick!  His motto was, "a place for everything, and everything in it's place".  He lived in the same house, 19 years after my mother died, and it looked exactly the same as it did when she was living. Nothing out of place, and all drawers, cupboards, closets, in order. 

Jenny - I want to say that I feel bad for your Colorado Avalanche.  They are  a team filled with young and enthusiastic players, and did a great job getting to the finals.  The Sharks, have been here in San Jose for close to 30 years, and have never won the Stanley Cup, so of course, that's what everyone is hoping for.  Some of the players are old, for hockey.  Two are turning 40 this year and many in their 30's.  They want the Cup, so badly, but I have my doubts if they can go all the way and beat the remaining teams. I was happy that both teams played a clean game, last night.  Be glad that your Av's didn't have to face the Las Vegas Knights, in the playoffs!     

Mary Ann

I really don't follow hockey, but I look at the headlines to see how the Detroit Red Wings have done.  I was more interested in the days of Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and Red Kelly and all three of them have died.  I'm not much of a sports fan now except for watching golf.

Joy, Tom does appreciate a clean house but the only place he cleans up is in the kitchen.  That is his area and both of us let things go until there is no more room.  In a condo, we don't have large rooms - at least not in this one.  Tom does break down boxes to put in the trash/recycle.  He takes care of the recycle box and I take care of the trash bag, although he usually takes it out on Friday morning as he leaves.

I get a lot of junk mail and when Tom gets the mail, as he usually does, he'll put the junk mail directly into the recycle box.  Our newspaper had an article on recycling recently and told what happens when we put the wrong things into recycle.  I'm thinking of pulling out pertinent information and giving it to Tom.  There are things we thought were OK (cardboard egg cartons) that the article said were not.  I don't know why about the egg cartons, but people put fabric in recycle and it goofs up the machinery.  I knew about not putting styrofoam products in recycle.  I don't take a newspaper any more but our condo newsletter had a copy of the article.

Time to do something - even if it's wrong!

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Joy..Belated Birthday Wishes...if I haven't already said it...
" There is no present like the time "

Denver

Good afternoon.....dreary day where again with snow flakes falling.  There was a bit of accumulation over night, but now the snow has all melted.  It will be cold again tonight....around freezing, so the plants will remain in the garage for a day or two more😢😢

Michele and Dave visited one of the oncologist this morning and he will do another gamma knife procedure on Michele's Brain a week from tomorrow.  Monday she hopes to find out the results of the Pet scan.....telling how the tumor on the lung is doing 🙏🙏🙏🙏

I decided I needed to get a haircut TODAY!  My hairdresser was expecting a bundle of joy and IF I did not get in, I would not be able to see her for a couple of months.  Imagine my surprise when she tells me she HAD the baby.....and is only working now because the little one is still in the NICU.  Baby came two months early, but is doing fantastic.  Her lungs were developed enough that she needed no oxygen but will be in the hospital until she is near to 5 pounds.  She weighed 3 pounds and now is nearly 4 pounds and doing fantastic.  This is the hairdresser s LAST day and she w8ll be off for two months and then going to a different shop.  IF I did not get in today I would never have seen her again.  My good luck, for sure.  Only problem is, I think she cut my hair with the idea it was going to be awhile until the next cut as it is really short🤣🤣

MARILYNE, we were sad that our AVS lost last night, but I think they can hold their heads high for having a fantastic season.  We do of course have a Stanley Cup win, so it is only fair now to cheer your Sharks one so they can have one too❣️ I have to tell you my heart sank when Nathan McKinnon hurt his shoulder right away......he is my favorite player as he used to be a room mate of our fellow SS friend, Carol Shovein's grandson. He is a nice man and a great hockey player🥰. I, too, was raised by neat-nicks and clutter drives me 🤯.  I agree, most men do not mind clutter.....but my did sure did!  He has the same motto!  I just need some one to help me be able to release the family things I am storing.....but they are stored very neatly 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Thank you, Mars-Gal.  There are a lot of people hurting from our tragic school shootings, as there are in all cases around the country.  Just so sad and uncalled for.  I just do not understand what would intice someone to want to shoot innocent victims? 

LARRY......SPECIAL HUGS FOR YOU TODAY.

MARYANN, I think a lot of people are confused about what type things should be in a recycle bin.  It is not mandatory here, so many do not even try to do it😢

HELLO JACKIE❣️  HUGS TO YOU, TOO❣️

I wish you all a good rest of your day. 

Jenny
🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Joy

I am just checking back before I go look for something for dinner.  I never decide until the last minute.  I did make some chocolate pudding  to use up some milk, a jello salad and made some whipped cream for the pudding.  And, I didn't have a nap either.  So, I feel good that I felt good enough to do all that.  I just am not feeling as tired as I had been feeling.  And, I haven't done anything any different. So, I am feeling very grateful for small favors.

Thank you Jackie for the  birthday wishes.  I did have a nice birthday this year.

Have a good evening.

Joy
BIG BOX

Marilyne

It's almost 8:30, West Coast time, and no messages in this folder yet?   Larry usually posts by now, but I don't see his name at the bottom of the forum index page, so I hope he is doing okay this morning?  Also, no messages from any of you who live on the East Coast or in that time zone.   Friday must be a busy day for everyone. 

After breakfast, I hope to spend this morning, shredding old bills and other stuff that has been  piling up for a couple of months now.  It sure does get out of control very quickly.

Sunday, Mother's Day, we will be going to Brad and Jackie's house for dinner. (Son and dil ).  The two grand kids and their bf and gf, will be there, as well as Sandy, and one of Jackie's sisters, so it will be a fairly large group.

Guess I'd better end this, and get on with the day.  Hope to hear from everyone soon?

Mary Ann

I don't know where everyone is but no one has posted since Joy at near 6 pm last evening.  I haven't been doing anything unusual myself, but I thought I'd better put something online.  It's only 51 degrees here and slightly overcast.  I hear where some areas have had frost or snow.  Enough already.

Tom had his Bible study this morning but had other things to do so is not subbing. 

I've been looking for ships but I didn't see any this morning.  I've just dressed an I'm going to find something to eat for lunch as it's just past 11:30 am.

As I say to the cat - "I'll be back".

Marilyn, we were posting at the same time.  I hope Larry is OK, too.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Happy to be able to say this is has been already and hope the rest of the day will be the same.  Yesterday I had a lot of shortness of breath and was pretty weak.  I had a great nights sleep last night.  Pat and Scott just left to go to Costco for some shopping.

Yesterday was a very sad day for Scott as he had to have his beloved dog put to sleep.  He has known the day was coming for a long time.  Pat asked he wanted her to with him to the vets and said yes.  He had made the arrangements yesterday morning when he had to take his sick cat to the vet and dug the grave before he came to get his mother.  The cat  had disappeared yesterday and they couldn't find it but she finally came back to the door. He was afraid she had gone away to die and that would have been a double troubling day for him.  He is so sentimental and loves his pets as they are a lot company for him. He doesn't handle grief very well.  They came back to the house and we talked him into staying and spending the evening with us and got him busy helping his mother fix ribs in the Instant Pot and when he left he seemed to be feeling better.  I want to write some comments here this morning as feel up to it.

Sandy, as you can see by what I posted above I am having a good day so far.  Yesterday it was not the case.

Mary Ann, those must be rowdy students if the teacher had to warn Tom in advance.  The only thing we recycle is larger pieces of cardboard as the city sends by a separate truck from the trash truck to pick it up.  Small boxes we do put the trash. Recycling while encouraged is not required. 

Joy, glad to see yesterday you were feeling better as ones outlook change when that happens.  When we feel reasonably well we want to do things.  My problem is I tend to overdo.

Marilyne, I am not one of those men who do not mind a mess.  I try to keep things neat and organized around my desk and by my easy chair.  I like to have things lined up and not at an angle.  I guess I get that from my mother. 

Jackie, I hope you are doing OK.  I know one has to decompress from what you have experience the last couple of weeks.

Jenny, Pat was trying to get her hair cut by one particular stylist but where he works the parking situation isn't good but I could drop her off at the curb and park.  Since I haven't been driving since the first of the year she now goes to Great Clips as there is good parking right in front and she has a barber we both like who is experienced.  She suggested a way for Pat to wear her  hair that she no longer need to put in the curls as this had become a real problem for her.  Sorry you are losing the hairdresser you liked. It sounds like a fun evening with Brad.