Random Image

Fe at two months

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mary Ann

Sandy, your grocery pickup system sounds like ours.  Both Tom and I can make entries as to what we want to order and Tom will check out and tell them when he will pick it up.  When he does go to the store, he calls them and they bring the order out to his car.  He does all the leg work, but I pay the bill!  For us, it works beautifully; our store is only two miles from here.  I think you will like the service.  I have been very happy with the produce we've gotten and that is a worry for many people.  I do not order milk because they don't realize I need more "sell by" date, but otherwise, it's fine.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

The list of Presidents, that was posted here a few days ago, reminds me that I've been watching a wonderful documentary on the History Channel, called  Presidents At War

It's a special program about the eight American Presidents, who served in the military in World War II.  It tells where they were, and what they did during The War.  The eight Presidents are,  Eisenhower,  Kennedy,  Johnson,  Nixon,  Ford,  Reagan,  Bush,  Carter.  This is a close look at all eight men during that time, with real photos, news footage, etc. 

It's about four hours long I think, but we recorded it, so we could watch it at our leisure, and scroll through the commercials.  It's playing on the History Channel, off and on all this week, or you can access it On Demand. Everyone who gets cable TV gets, The History Channel.

While I was watching it, I was thinking that those of us who are now seniors in our 80's or 90's, are the last generation who can actually remember the War Years.

angelface555

Marilyne, the US has been at war in the Gulf since 1991, a total of 28 years. The only differance is its more localized and there isn't a draft.

Marilyne

Patricia, that's not the only difference . . . far from it!  World War II,  was an entirely different situation than Afghanistan. (which isn't even officially called a war). There is no comparison.

MarsGal

Larry, I can only echo what the others have already posted about your situation. I am ever hopeful that you will feel better soon.

Mary Ann

Marilyn and Patricia, it seems like we've been involved in wars forever (not really), but I've read there are people today who don't believe WW II ever happened. 

A figment of our imagination?  An entire generation?

Mary Ann

angelface555

Marilyne, I will have to respectfully disagree. The current conflict had its roots in the beginnings of WWI and WWII. "World War II fatality statistics vary, with estimates of total deaths ranging from 70 million to 85 million. Deaths directly caused by the war, military, and civilians killed are estimated at 50-56 million people.
There were an additional estimated 19 to 28 million deaths from war-related disease and famine."

And the gulf war has had  52,272 wounded and 58,976 so far fatalities for Americans. To my way of thinking, it is merely a continuation of conflict over the same issues. The world wars lasted four to five years not counting pre world conflict buildups. If not a war, with people on all sides dying due to terrorists, battles, disease, lack of medical assistance, of food, basic life needs; what would you call it? A police action or some other euphemism? Americans and others are still fighting and still killing each other. In all recorded history planet-wide; there have been less than thirty years of peace.

MaryAnn, people believe the earth is flat, no one ever went to the moon, and the Kennedy assassination was politically faked. And the Holocaust? Pfft...liberals!

CallieOK

Larry,  I am so very sorry to read your news.  May God comfort you and Pat with courage, strength and peace.

Sandy,  some grocery stores here have pick-up ordering and others deliver.  However, they all seem to work off an app on a cell phone and I've never used my cell phone in that way.
Guess I'd better "get with the times", hadn't I?

I have no personal memories of any war.  I was either too young or living on a mountain top (well, almost) in Colorado to have had any direct experiences.  My Dad was in WWI and wasn't accepted when he tried to sign up for WWII.  We had beef and milk cattle, chickens, a garden and molasses made from our own sugar cane so really weren't affected by rationing - at least I wasn't.  My parents did not discuss "serious" subjects in front of me.

All the winter mess was gone this morning and I was able to do all the errands I hadn't done yesterday. Also got the trash bin out for collection - since I hadn't done so yesterday before the snow/sleet/black ice started.

However, the only reason I was able to do that was a Spam phone call at 7:15 a.m.!!!!!  Since my normal waking-up time is 8:00-8:30, I was not amused :(    Caller ID said "Invalid Number" and the Area Code isn't listed anywhere in the USA.  Of course, I did not answer.

I'm ready for a nap......

Mary Ann

Callie, in all the blurbs I've seen from our grocery store I have seen nothing about an app.  I do not have one and Tom may have one, but I doubt it.  If I think of it, I'll ask him.  I do have it bookmarked, click on that and add whatever I need.  I am sure you could sign up but it would be quite a distance to pick it up here.  Ha!

WW II for the US began in December of 1941 when Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.  I had just graduated from high school in June and was in the first (and my only) semester at Jr College.  I did not go back to JC but started working in the fall of 1942 and I stayed there forever (it seems - 44 years and 9 months) until July 1 1986 when I retired.  And here I am, still retired.  Dad was paid part money and part scrip.  We always had food and a couple of times gave groceries to neighbors who did not have jobs.  I suppose we were poor, but I never knew it.  I had clothes when I needed them and my mother made clothes for herself from clothes of her sister.  We were no different than others on our street. 

Patricia, I know about those beliefs of others and they probably don't recognize the conflicts going on now. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Patricia - I don't think we will ever have a meeting of the minds here, because we're talking about two different things.  I was speaking strictly of WWII, after watching a documentary about the American Presidents who served in that War, that I thought might be of interest to some members who post here. I don't know how or why Afghanistan was brought up at all?  It is not a World War.   

A World War, is specific, in that countries around the world, join together to fight a common enemy, who wants to conquer the world. (At that time, Germany and Japan). Yes, there are wars/conflicts going on now, and there always have been, since the beginning of time. I believe that there always will be, until some time in the future, some country decides to fire a nuclear missile.  Then everything will be over.

So let's agree to disagree, and close the subject.

angelface555

Marilyne, agreed!

MaryAnn, Callie, while I had no direct involvement, I had two grandfathers, and two great uncles in WWI. In WWII I had my father and nine uncles. Three of those uncles and my father also fought in Korea. One uncle and two husbands fought in Vietnam while one nephew and some cousins have fought in the Gulf wars.

My first husband is still out roaming the Southern states, unable to mentally come home. My second husband carries guilt because he was forced out of the military as a last surviving son when three brothers were killed in Vietnam, and a fourth was seriously wounded.

Oldiesmann

I've disabled email notification options for now. I'm not sure why you're all getting hammered with old notifications, but that should stop the flood.

Vanilla-Jackie

Maybe not my place to do this so you will forgive me if I have jumped the gun...If anyone remembers a member called Liz from Canada, either on our forum, Senior Learn or Senior Net this is what her granddaughter Amanda has posted on our Christian site...

Link...scroll up...

https://www.christianphotographers.com/community/index.php?topic=13768.new#bot
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jackie, that is so sad about Liz.  I don't recall that she and I were posting in the same folders.  Jim's sister lives in Victoria now as her husband died last year.  They had lived in Sooke which is about 40 miles south of Victoria.  I have been there several times.

I just looked at Grand Haven and there is a lot of open water with little floes in it.  The sun is shining and it's a pretty scene.

Mary Ann

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. We continue to cloudy weather with occasional rain showers.  Our temps are in the 50's today.

I have decided not to go to the ER and will seek another appointment with by heart doctor that I have seen this past year.  I have an appointment this afternoon with the kidney doctor and will see what he says.  I am just going to take things a day at a time.  The heart doctor that I have seen in recent weeks want to keep me out of the hospital and that is certainly what I want. I did not mean to imply that I think I am in a condition where I may die anything soon.  I will just take things one day at a time and make the adjustments that need to be made. 

Pat and Scott are at Costco this morning.

Jackie, thanks for sharing the information about Liz.

Callie, check on the website for your grocery company as would be surprised if you don't find the online grocery shopping link there.  That is how Pat places her order at Walmart and it work beautifully.  We are very happy with this pickup service and hopefully they will add the home delivery of these orders as some stores are now doing. 

Thank you all for your postings as I always find them interesting.

Marilyne

Larry - Good to hear from you this morning.  I admire your attitude very much. I hope your visit with the kidney doctor will make you feel much better.

Mary Ann - I looked at Grand Haven, and was amazed to see what it looks like this morning!  I've never seen anything like that . . . with the water frozen close to shore, and the wild waves splashing further out on the lake.  Just a beautiful sight, with the sun shining and the blue sky and water.

I don't remember Liz, from Senior Net or S&F? There were so many folders in SN, and I recall that one was for Canadian members, so she probably posted there?  I'm sorry to hear about her fall, and that she is in so much pain.  Her granddaughter Amanda, sounds like a very sweet and caring young lady.   

Vanilla-Jackie

We dont seem to have any members on our forum going by the name of Liz but I do vaguely remember that once we did although maybe not a regular poster..we may even of had two posters going by the name of Liz or Lizzy...Maybe someone on our forum will know who she is..her name might ring a bell..

Larry Hanna...
...you are here to stay, dont think we are going to get rid of you that quick, as my late father often would jest..It is good to see a lengthier post from you today...
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

It's good to hear from you today, Larry, you sound more upbeat than previously.

We have a bright sunny day so far but it is only 32 degrees outside.  The sun comes in the window to my right and at times is so bright I cannot see either the TV or computer screens. 

Tom is teaching today near here.  I think he can go all over the county, but he chooses north county schools and a couple of them have very good reputations.  All three nephews graduated from Northview High School and many parents want their children to attend Northview. We live in the Northview district.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

Good Morning,
Today started out better than yesterday - which began with a Spam phone call at 7:15 (have I already posted about this?).  Unless I set the radio to come on, I wake up between 8:00 and 8:30.  Grrrrr

Just now got the "Toll Free" call that left a message about returning call "IMMEDIATELY" to renew my Windows License.  Ummm.....I don't think so!!!!!

Have I also posted here about my granddaughter who lives in NYC getting her first contract "gig" (i.e., she gets paid!) for a production of the musical "My One And Only" in Lauderhill, Florida?  She'll be there for 6 weeks.
She just barely made it out of NYC Monday night before the heavy snow arrived.  Her flight was delayed for 5 hours because the plane couldn't get there from wherever it was coming from.
She called last night and chattered excitedly about the first two days of rehearsal.  I'm so happy she is finally getting to do what she loves best.

Larry,  good that you are taking charge of your care.  Hope the doctors are able to give you some encouraging news.
I do intend to check the grocery store web site - IF I ever find that particular Round Tuit :).  Although I only live a little over a mile away and can still get there easily, it would be good to have the information if ever needed.

Housecleaner due in an hour or so.  Better clear the clutter so she can do her job.

FlaJean

Good news about your granddaughter, Callie.  Also a good time of the year to be in south Florida.

angelface555

Good morning from an Interior with seldom seen blue skies! I'm sure there are many here who are as I am, surprised as we were to continue with freezing rain or snow. However, it is still humid. But that internal clock or sense has shifted, and I no longer feel like its winter. There is an inner sense of Spring and anticipation!

Farrah has been alerting to folks or noises in the hallway yesterday and today. While she always warns long before I hear or notice anything, yesterday and today she has been hanging out in the entry hallway. I wonder if a tenant has a new dog?

I received a notice yesterday that all are invited to the wedding of a couple here in their seventies or eighties who are both long term tenants and both lost their spouses within the last three or four years.

Larry, I was encouraged to see a longer post by you today! And Jackie, I remember a Liz but don't believe she was Canadian.

Callie, I bet your granddaughter is very excited with a real paying opportunity to show what she can do! I wish her luck in the "gig!"  MaryAnn, I looked in on the cam and such a difference in a short period! It's beautiful out!

Good morning to Jean and Marilyne!

Joy

Callie,

I meant to say "Congratulations" to your grand daughter   on her new  "Gig".   I know you are "proud as a peacock"..  All her hard work and long, long hours and perseverance has paid off !   May this be the beginning of a long acting career for her.

Joy
BIG BOX

larryhanna

Hi Everyone. Hi Everyone.  Just checking in this morning.

Marilyne

Mary ann - Grand Haven looks cold but beautiful this morning.  The shoreline is still frozen, but the lake beyond is blue and calm.  Looks like it's going to be a sunny day there.

Larry - Good morning to you too! :)  If you feel up to it, come back later today and tell us what your kidney doctor had to say?

Coffee is ready here, so I'll pour myself a cup, and check out some of the other folders. Hope you are all looking forward to a nice Friday, and the weekend to follow.

FlaJean

70 degrees here and the sun is shining at the moment.  We rode over to Destin yesterday to go to the Outback for lunch.  Had a delicious steak taco and a really good salad.  Brought one steak taco home for today.  Actually, I would have had plenty with their dark bread and the salad—just don't have a big appetite anymore.    Larry had shrimp and a baked potato which he really enjoyed.

Slow getting started this morning as usual.  Need to go get a few groceries in a while.  Joy, I've been drinking a Boost every day and it has helped me have more energy.  I don't eat much meat and it helps me with the protein.

Mary Ann, the web cam did show a beautiful but cold scene.  Marilyne, you must be an early riser.  A couple of weeks ago, I finally put my trusty Mr. Coffee away and got myself a simple one cup Keurig.  I only drink coffee in the morning and sometimes not even a whole cup.  Now I have a tea kettle and coffee pot in a pretty aqua color to brighten my otherwise drab stainless steel kitchen.

Patricia, glad You were able to see some blue skies and you are feeling better.

CallieOK

Thank you to those who commented about Miss Ellen.  She very firmly says,  "I am not a Lead.  I am a dancer who can sing", and would be content being a "gypsy" (theatre term for those who go from show to show performing in the Ensemble or a "featured" role <meaning they have a line or two of dialog>).  She loves living in NYC and the family teases her about liking to audition as much as she does performing.
Two of her best friends from college are also in the show.  She's staying with one of them while she's in Florida.

Patricia,  I wish we could see blue skies for longer than part of a day.  Temperatures bounce from mid-50's to below freezing - but always with gray skies. [/size

Jean,  my kids gave me a one-cup Keurig for Christmas a year or so ago.  I don't drink coffee so am glad I can get tea K-cups.  A neighbor told me to just run water through the Keurig and put a tea bag in the cup/mug.  I like not having to time the brewing but this is really handy when I'm out of K-cups.

Kids also gave me a slow cooker to replace the one I'd had for "eons".  However, they forgot I only cook for one and gave me a 6 quart size.  Directions say to fill half-way for best results and I've never needed to do that much. 
Recently  ordered a 1 1/2 quart slow cooker I saw in a  Penney's sale catalog and love it.

I'm hostess for Bridge Club next week.  We meet in a local restaurant but the hostess takes candy or cookies for dessert.  Plan A for today or tomorrow is to bake some.
Also want to make up a package of slider buns into what will be Hot Slider Sandwiches for a quick lunch - so will need to remember timing for use of large cookie sheet.

Howcome something like this is never mentioned as a way to keep old brains active.  :)

(I'd wondered why we no longer saw the Emoticons over the Reply space.  Just discovered they're now under "Message Icons" - but don't see a link to "More" - but can't get one to post where I want it unless I type in the : and ) or ( ).  :(

Enjoy your day, Everyfriend....

angelface555

Good morning from an almost identical to yesterday, Interior!

Nothing new here other than some laundry planned for this afternoon and refurbishing the the computer I reset last afternoon.

Larry, its always nice to hear from you!

And Callie, Ellen sounds as if she has a very vibrant personality.

I'm the odd one out as I drink 12 cups of coffee each day. Of course, I use my traveling cup, so it's only four of those and doesn't that sound better than 12?  :thumbup:

My emoticons show directly above my posting box. I never use the quick reply box. 

Mary Ann

One year for Christmas Dot asked what I wanted and I said a new crockpot, one where you could take the insert out and wash separately so she and Norm gave me a large crockpot, probably a 6 qt.  It made enough of whatever that it lasted several days.  Even after Tom came to live with me, it still was too large, but we use it occasionally.  When I bought the Instant Pot, I got a 3-qt and that works very nicely, thank you.  I hate to admit I have not made anything in it, but Tom does occasionally and it's always good.  I think Tom likes to fix something that is more "instant" than even the Instant Pot and he likes to be more creative, however, he is not a gourmet cook.  We both are pleased that Annie is starting to cook and she uses a 6-qt Instant Pot.

To those who looked in on Grand Haven this morning, I thought, too, that it looked very nice.  Did anyone see it a day or so ago when the water was open and there were hunks of white ice in the water?  I should have tried to save that view.  One thing about Grand Haven is the view changes often.  The sun is shining brightly here and it almost upon my computer screen, making it hard to see.

Callie, Miss Ellen sounds like a person who enjoys life - and always will.

Jean, I find my appetite is less than it used to be.  If Tom does fix something here, he almost always gives me more on my plate than I can eat.  Last night he fixed burgers for each of us.  I find it easier to sit in this chair to eat, rather than at a table, so he fixes a plate and brings it to me.  He used bread instead of a burger bun and I ate half of the meal.  I'll finish it today as Tom is teaching and will not be home before supper time.  The reason I prefer to eat sitting in this chair is my height - or lack of it.  If I am at a table, I can almost shovel the food into my mouth. Restaurant tables and booths are bad!

Hi Larry, I'm glad to hear from you.

I have the coffeepot that my folks had, another I bought while still working and depending on the number of people who might be here, I use both - but hardly ever!  I also have an old Norelco coffeemaker, a forerunner of today's coffeemakers, that I would use in an emergency.  However, I fill a cup with water and put it in the microwave and when it's hot, I put two heaping teaspoons of Hazelnut coffee (?) in the water and that is my coffee for the day.  I might have a second cup later, but almost never so, or I might have a cup of mint chocolate, also almost never.  I'm the last of the big-time coffee drinkers.

Lovely, sunny morning here.

Mary Ann

CallieOK

There is a reason I have called Miss Ellen "La Diva" since she was a toddler.  ;D