Random Image

Farm

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:29:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Soda Shoppe Week of June 26

Started by JoanFL, June 26, 2016, 04:13:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoanFL

June--Glad you had a good night's sleep and have nothing you must do today.  Do your groceries arrive today?  In a few minutes I am going to check the couch for some zzz's since I have been up since 4 a.m.

Click for Melbourne, Florida Forecast

JaneS

I'm back from lunch.  There were 15 of us from the old office and it's so good to see them all.  One of our ladies started in the office at PA House right out of high school and retired from there.  She will be 90 on her next birthday.  She lives with her niece who brings her to the lunches.  And one of the gals who comes is the mother of my doggie sitter and a friend of my daughter. 

You remember I told you some time ago that my bed broke?  Callie and I both had bad luck at the same time.  Well, the gal who organizes these lunches used to be the parts person in my office and I asked her if she knows of anyone who still works on PA House furniture.  She did and she gave me a phone number.  Maybe I can get it fixed and back to work.  We'll see!

Callie, I used to know the numbers for every piece of wood furniture that went out of our factory.  I'm wondering what pieces you have.  Are they wood or upholstered?  It was all made in Lewisburg until sometime in the 70s when upholstery moved to North Carolina.  We got our bedroom furniture when we "went to housekeeping" in 1955 and it's the Mount Vernon finish which they stopped making in the 70s.  I love it!  But I don't move it much any more.  It's solid cherry and very heavy.  Part of my Customer Service territory was Oklahoma and I'm trying to remember the name of the furniture store in OKC.  I might have to get out my book to remind me.  I have a Christmas ornament that someone in the store designed and made for a store giveaway one year and they sent me one.  I remember the sales reps name.  She was one of the few lady reps and she lived in Yukon, OK.

OH well, enough reminiscing.  I better get something done to show I've been here today.  Enjoy your day, Everyfriend!

Click for Lewisburg,Pennsylvania Forecast

JaneS

I knew I'd remember as soon as I posted.  It was Mathis Bros. Furniture in OKC.  Is it still there?

JoanFL

Janie--Glad you had such a nice time with your friends from the furniture company.  I hope you can get your bed fixed.  Is it time to look for some zzz's?

JaneS

I think I already heard the sofa calling to me, Joanie.  I might have to go see if it's holding onto those zzzs for me.

halkel

June, we were trying to remember yesterday, Lady's age, and best we could remember it was either 9 or 10.

CallieOK

Jane,  oh my, yes, Mathis Bros. is still here.  I think the 3rd generation is running it now.
However, my Pennsylvania House maple corner desk and two cabinets (one with a deep shelf and the other with a drawer above areas with double louvered doors) came from a Pennsylvania House store on west 10th street in Amarillo, Texas - some time between 1959 and 1962.
The computer I'm on right now is on the corner desk and the two cabinets are at my immediate right and left. They're definitely showing their age but I couldn't do without them.
Doubt I could get to the numbers, though.

Hope you find those zzzzzs..

JaneS

You wouldn't want to take a picture and email it to me, would you?  While I was working there, we did a search for old PA House pieces and we discovered pieces that were manufactured in the late 30's and 40s.  The one lady that was at lunch today had one of the oldest pieces in existence.  She bought it for her parents right after she started to work there.  That would have been in the mid 40s. 

Jeanne Lee

Don't forget to vote for your favorite photo in this month's challenge HERE.  Voting closes June 28 at 4:00 p.m.  :)

Click for Corinth, New York Forecast

CallieOK

Quote from: JaneS on June 27, 2016, 03:48:17 PM
You wouldn't want to take a picture and email it to me, would you?

That might be a "can't see the forest for the trees" situation.  ;D   I'll see what I can do.

JoanFL

Janie--I hope you found those zzz's in the sofa.

Hi halkel.

Callie--With the exception of a couple items, I left all my furniture behind in Arkansas.  Bought new when I came here  8 years ago.

Jeanne Lee--I voted two or three days ago.

CallieOK

Joan, I think that was a great idea.  Might  have done the same thing if I hadn't just moved across town!

June Drabek

Bis, I did very little today. Went downstairs for a nice lunch..brought half of it home for tonight, Caesar salad with a big slab of braised salmon. I also ate a side of mac and cheese, and a large glass of V.8. Planned to do nothing today, but realized I needed to do one load of dark clothing, so got that done, and collapsed on bed with a book. Now I am contemplating ordering groceries, but I think it will go no further than contemplation. I'm content.

I voted on the photo contest. That is always fun, making choices.

Janie, I'm so happy that you had such a good time meeting with your friends. You do have a lot of blessings in your life girl, and you surely deserve them. The oldest piece of furniture I have is my Grandmother's what-not shelf, and an old blue ink well that was part of my Grandfathers desk. Next in line is my Dad's walnut chest of drawers and two dining chairs with carving on the back...a duncan phyfe styling.

Hal, Lady feels more secure on your lap for sure. That is edging on getting old for a dog her size isn't it ? We always had medium sized mixed breeds when i was a kid. They just wandered onto the property as dogs did back then. After marriage, our dogs were small, and each one lived into the teens, as I recall. Children and animals both demanded good care and love, and gave so much pleasure.

As long as we are here, let's dance.

halkel

Well we go Lady back home, minus her collar. It has to be discarded because of the smell.  But she smells okay.

Good nite everyone, sweet dreams and God bless.

JaneS

June, you are 100% correct!  I am blessed!  I know it and I appreciate it every day and I thank God for all my blessings!

I'm off to Dreamland!  I wish you all peaceful rest and a joyful tomorrow.  Good Night Everyfriend!  God Bless Us Every One!

June Drabek

Good night all. It is still light out side, but it is time to call an end to this day and get prepared for sleep. i hope you had a very good day, and that your night will be filled with peaceful sleep. May your tomorrow be all you could wish for. God Bless, and Grant you Peace, Love, prayer and hugs. June

JoanFL

Good Tuesday morning, Everyfriend.   There's blueberry pancakes to accompany your coffee or tea. I wish everyone a great day!!

:smitten:

CHUCKLES

There's Nothing the Matter with Me!

There's nothing the matter with me,
I'm just as healthy as can be,
I have arthritis in both knees,
And when I talk, I talk with a wheeze.
My pulse is weak, my blood is thin,
But I'm awfully well for the shape I'm in.

All my teeth have had to come out,
And my diet I hate to think about.
I'm overweight and I can't get thin,

And arch supports I need for my feet,
Or I wouldn't be able to go out in the street.
Sleep is denied me night after night,
But every morning I find I'm all right.
My memory's failing, my head's in a spin.

Old age is golden I've heard it said,
But sometimes I wonder, as I go to bed.
With my ears in a drawer, my teeth in a cup, And my glasses on a shelf, until I get up.
And when sleep dims my eyes, I say to myself, Is there anything else I should lay on the shelf?

The reason I know my youth has been spent, Is my get-up-and-go has got-up-and-went!
But really I don't mind, when I think with a grin, Of all the places my get-up has been.

I get up each morning and dust off my wits, Pick up the paper and read the obits.
If my name is missing, I'm therefore not dead, So I eat a good breakfast and jump back into bed.

The moral of this as the tale unfolds,
Is that for you and me, who are growing old.
It is better to say, "I'm fine" with a grin, Than to let people know the shape we are  in.

I’M FINE.  HOW ARE YOU?

Food For Thought

My Most Precious Possession

In a devotional in the Mississippi Baptist Record in May 1979, Bill Rittenhouse wrote that while on a vacation trip, he found a suitcase on the side of the road. Trying to determine who owned it, he opened the suitcase, only to find the usual items you would expect to find in a man's luggage. There was only one clue as to who the owner was: a white box with a rubber band around it had a $20 gold piece between two layers of cotton inside. Around the gold piece was a band with the words, "Twenty years loyal and faithful service" on one side. On the other was printed "Presented to Otis Sampson by Northwestern States Portland Cement Company." No city was named.

Bro. Rittenhouse mailed seventy-five letters before he received a reply from a Portland Cement Company, saying that several years before there had been a Mr. Otis Sampson in their employment, but that he had retired. They sent his address. Rittenhouse wrote Mr. Sampson to tell him that he had his suitcase. Mr. Sampson replied immediately, identifying the contents. He asked that Rittenhouse dispose of the suitcase and all contents, except the gold piece. Several times in the letter, Mr. Sampson referred to the gold piece as his "most precious possession."

So Bro. Rittenhouse returned the gold piece, and used the opportunity to tell Mr. Sampson of his most precious possession - his relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. He didn't hear from Mr. Sampson until a year later, when he sent a Christmas box to the Rittenhouse family. Inside the box was a smaller white box with a rubber band around it and the $20 gold piece inside. A note was enclosed, which read:

"Last Sunday my wife and I were baptized in a little church here in Colorado. We want you to have the gold piece to carry with you at all times. We are two old people; I'm 74 years old, my wife is 72. You are the first one who told us of Jesus Christ.  Now He is our most precious possession.

Thought of the Day

“Make no mistake. We are not powerless. We are not too remote and removed to make a difference. And we are not a few. If we would but get over our own quarrels and come together on our knees, seeking forgiveness for ourselves first and our country second, dust would fly. Change would come. And to us first."

- Adrian Rogers

:smitten:

Amy

Good morning everyone.

Another hot day in the making here. I got some cedar trees trimmed yesterday,one was hogging the space where my flowering crab tree is. Another was over crowding the driveway now both are under control.

Not much on the agenda today.just the usual tiding up.

Joan ,good to see you here..glad your internet is fixed and thank you for breakfast.

Enjoy your day everyone.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

JaneS

Good Morning Everyfriend!  I was rambling last night.  I couldn't sleep for some reason.  It was another cool night (a low of 64) so it wasn't the heat.  I think it might have been that I was just plain too tired physically to sleep.  Does that make sense?

Right now it's 72º here and heading for a high of only 84 today.  That's not too bad for the end of June.  But we are supposed to have rain for most of the afternoon and evening.  I hope it isn't thunderstorms for the doggies' sake.  They are terrified of thunder.

Amy, you also trim trees?  What DON'T you do, lady?  You are definitely a "Jill" of all trades!  What I'd like to know is, when do you rest?

Thank you for the goodies today, Joanie.  I liked the inspirational reading.  That man was lucky to learn how his words affected someone else.  So often, we don't know that.

The doggies are in the doorway letting me know that they are hungry so I better take care of that problem for the.  Have a lovely day, Everyfriend.

Vanilla-Jackie

Joan, happy to see you here this morning after yesterday spell of computer trouble....Now blueberries are my favourites to go with my morning brekkie....
Our morning weather looks off to a good start, don't think I will have time to finish off the hedge trimming, as its 3.pm my MS Neurology Consultant appointment....its only 11.50 am now, so not leaving for an our or two....its a 46 mile round trip journey....I done an AA rout-planner, this time both ways... ;D...which gives both the mileage and time of journey....Of course time of journey is from time of day I print off the route-planner, not necessarily the time we will be venturing out....then of course we have to find the most convenient parking space, outside of the hospital neither of us are familiar with....now if only I had my disabled parking, Blue Badge.... >:(
Poor Benji brought up all his dinner this morning, in the garden...I am assuming nothing to do with his cancer just that we were advised yesterday at vets to wean him off the half of his ordinary tinned food, and half of the prescription diet now...so that's what I gave him this morning...a whole tin of his prescription diet....not any more.....both myself and R have both agreed to put Benji straight back on the half and half......

Edited........Joan, " There's Nothing The Matter With Me...."  :2funny:  :2funny: I've heard it before but many years ago, and of course when I was younger, fitter and healthier.....They say laughter at ourselves is the very best medicine on the market.....As long as we can still laugh, there is still some life in us........
It must be a Pam Ayres.....
" There is no present like the time "

Lloyd Hammond

Good Morning everyone. sun is shinning Brigitte here today. hope you all have a great day'

Lloyd

JoanFL

Good morning, Amy.  You sure are a busy bee.  Guess that's what keeps you young and agile.:)  I sure hope my internet behaves.

Janie--Good morning.  I've had those times when I was so overtired that I couldn't get to sleep.  Glad you liked the reading.

Good morning/afternoon Vanilla-Jackie.  I am fond of blueberries, too.  Good luck going and coming from your Neurology Consultant appointment.  Benji let you know he didn't like the dog food mixture you gave him today.  I've seen "There's Nothing the Matter With Me" before, too, but thought it was worth a repeat.

Good morning, Lloyd.  The sun is just coming up here.

JaneS

I'm off to Wally World in a few minutes.  Wish me happy customers.

halkel

Good Morning Everyone!

64 degrees, gee, what great sleeping weather.  Also Janie, happy customer day!

Jackie hope you appointment goes well, as well as finding a parking spot.

Amy, want to come to my house this fall and work on my oak trees?

Joanie, as usual nice breakfast and warm greetings.  I loved the 20 gold piece, food for the soul.

Got to go turn my water on, just one spot left to water.

Gloria

Good morning everyone, grandson was here last night. A few more things back where they belong in the PC. A few more and hopefully I will never have to go through this mess again. I will never get another new computer. I can say that HP has been helpful. We had some rain overnight and might have more this morning.

LLOYD  now Bis does to have some sleep at times doesn't she?

JENNY  if I was off line longer you would have heard me screaming across the country.

JOAN  I hope it is the end of PC trouble for both of us. Don't know how much more I can take of this without quitting. I sure miss the tech I used to have.

JUNE  some days after posting here I have gone back to bed and slept for about 3 hours. Feels like the day is over by then. At least the last 2 nights I slept better.

JANE I cannot imagine working at one job all those years. My SIL did though. He started at the place he worked after high school and just retired after more than 40 years. So many of the places I worked went out of business. Maybe I was a jinx.

JOAN  like you the only thins I took from the house we had was what belonged to me. A corner hutch and my Mom's old round pedestal oak table. My daughter has it now and it will be going to Arizona with them. She knows where it will fit in the dining room there. I had no room for it.

JOAN   will enjoy blueberry pancakes this morning. Chuckles today could be about so many of us these days, Love it. Will be sharing this one. Food For Thought is a wonderful story. Thank you for all today's goodies.

AMY  you sure do find a lot of things you have to do. Trimming cedar trees is not fun if they are like the cedar trees around here.

JANE  like you there have been times I was too tired to sleep, more or less just dozed on and off all night.

JACKIE  I wish you the best with this new doctor. 

HAL  64° is cool to you but in the lower 50's would be a much better sleeping night for me.

Click for Harrisville, Rhode Island Forecast

phyllis

Raining this morning.  That's ok since I'll just be doing household chores today.  I need to catch up with some things that I have let slide a little bit.

Have a Happy Customer Day, Jane.  :zen:
phyllis
Cary,NC

larryhanna

Hi everyone.  It looks like we are going to have another reasonable day going up to 87 but only for one hour.  There is a good possibility of rain in the forecast for this afternoon. Last night we had about 1/2 inch of rain.

We are really looking forward to today as good friends from where we moved are coming for a day visit.  They are very active in the church we attended before we moved, he is the one I bought the PT Cruiser from and his wife is an active quilter and sewer.  He attends the coffee group I used to attend about everyday and he also is a part of the church men's luncheon group.  They are very interesting people and the ones who spend about 6 months a year at their home in Mexico where their son and grandchildren live.  They have a new little dog and will bring Crispy with them as he is a seasoned traveler.

Yesterday I had a pleasant surprise when I called the lumber company that had supplied our windows and found that the replacement panel for half the window will cost only $39.  One of the companies I had called wanted $40 just to come out and see the situation and measure.  I feel that is very reasonable as will be able to lift out the old window and quickly insert the new as these are tip our windows. 

This morning as I was watering my flowers I saw 4 little bird heads above the rim of the nest.  They must be growing quickly. 

Joan, your humor piece for today is great as is the Food for Thought.  I have sent the humor on to the lady at the church who heads up the Senior's monthly meeting as she sometimes shares something in this vein to start the day.  The Food for Thought I am going to print out and may use it as a devotional one of these weeks.

Enjoyed all the postings since yesterday and hope all will have a really good day.  That is my  plan for today.

JoanFL

Janie--I wish you a "Happy Customers" Day.

Good morning, halkel.  It'd be nice if our temp got that low for sleeping.

Gloria--Good morning.  Sure is nice of your grandson to come and put more things in order on your computer.

Good morning, Phyllis.  PLEASE send some of that rain this way.  There are several wild fires going because it's so dry.

Larry--Good morning.  It's going to be in the 90's here today with triple digit heat index.  It's so nice that your friends from where you lived previously can come for a visit.   They sound like interesting folks.   Glad you use some of the things I post.

June Drabek

Good Morning all, I had a full nights sleep, but as I sit here reading my eyes start to close. My bed is calling me back.

I will go make it up and perhaps lay down on top of the comforter and doze some more. June

Mary Ann

Gloria, I worked for the same company for 43 years and 9 months; it was the only place I worked.  I was in several departments (electric utility) and phased out many of them.  Eventually I phased myself out of the company.  It has changed much since I left 30 years ago, and is no longer the “one big happy family” when I was there.  They were good to me and all I ask is that they put my pension in the bank each month.

Mary Ann