Random Image

Cliff, Kelly, Fe

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:00:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

General Computer Q & A

Started by RAMMEL, March 29, 2016, 01:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donklan

Don't let your computer hurt you

Ergonomics important for heavy digital users

Marc Saltzman

Special to USA TODAY

Quickly, calculate how much time you spend in front of digital devices, such as computers, tablets, and smartphones. Be honest. According to a recent Nielsen report, American adults now spend about 11 hours per day on technology – that's about two-thirds of the time we're awake – and the number climbs higher for those who work in front of a monitor at the office. Americans are now sitting an average of 12 to 13 hours a day, says Ergotron, a manufacturer of office-related products.

If this sounds familiar, you bet your bitmaps there are health concerns with our sedentary work culture.

And so, take heed to these following "ergonomic" tips to healthier computer use, whether it's during your 9-to-5 work life, 5-to-9 downtime or both.

Nice mice

Reduce the odds you'll suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome and other repetitive stress injuries. Choose a computer mouse that's comfortable for you. Mice should have a curved hump that fits the contours of your palm. Many today are designed for both left- and righthanded users. Wireless mice provide fewer movement restrictions than wired mice, allowing you to place it on the desk in a comfortable position. When you use a mouse, try to limit your wrist movement. Instead, move your forearm, and with your elbow pivoted.

If you use a laptop with a trackpad, connect an external mouse for better comfort.

"Ergonomic" mice are designed with your body in mind. The latest from Logitech is the MX Vertical Advanced Ergonomic Mouse ($99), a unique PC accessory with a 57-degree vertical angle that allows for a "handshake" grip for greater comfort. The mouse also straddles the line between design and performance – what the MX series is best known for – and it's precise and programmable, which is important to gamers, too.

If it's still uncomfortable to use a mouse or if you experience wrist discomfort, try a trackball instead, as you simply roll your fingertips on the top of the peripheral.

The key(board) to success

On a desktop computer, choose an ergonomic keyboard that could help reduce wrist strain – these typically are curved to more naturally fit the angle of your wrists (place your hands on a desk and you'll see they point inwards). Some ergonomic keyboards have a split keyboard, too.

If you're on a laptop you can always plug in a larger and more ergonomic keyboard when in one location for a while (though not ideal for an airplane, of course). Keep in mind, some small Chromebooks and iPad cases with keyboards generally have smaller keys, which could prove uncomfortable.

Try to keep your wrists almost floating above the keyboard so your hands can easily move to reach far keys (e.g., the G or H keys) rather than trying to stretch your fingers to reach them because your palms are mounted. You might consider a padded or gelled wrist rest that sits in front of the keyboard.

Finally, learn keyboard shortcuts to reduce the need for keystrokes.

Recommendations include Microsoft's Surface Ergonomic Keyboard or Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop ($129 each), both of which offer a natural arc and slope.

Have a seat (or stand)

It won't cost you much these days, so be sure to pick up a decent office chair with lower back support. And your mom was right – posture is important, too – so stop yourself from leaning in towards the monitor. Instead, sit back all the way.

If you can, choose a chair with wheels so you can better position yourself for added comfort. Learn about the adjustment features of your chair, if it offers any. Look for one with armrests.

Your feet should be flat on the floor. Vertically challenged folks should use a small step-stool or milk crate to rest your feet on under the desk. Your keyboard and mouse should be at about elbow level, so adjust your chair's height accordingly.

To avoid neck problems, those who work from home should avoid working on a laptop while reclined on a sofa or in bed.

An increasingly popular option is a standing desk. Standing rather than sitting promotes more muscle use and better blood flow. There are also Sit-Stand Workstations that sit on top of a traditional desk and balance ball chairs, which some employees swear by.

'Monitor' your health

When in your chair, be sure to swivel your chair so you're facing the monitor straight-on so you're not putting strain on your neck. Your monitor should be at eye level and should tilt left and right and swivel up and down to help you find the most comfortable angle.

There are also wall mounts, including retractable and adjustable monitor "arms" from companies like Ergotron.

If you get to choose your monitor for work, get a larger screen (24 inches or more) so you don't have to squint to see the font on a small monitor (at the very least, increase the font size). Have adequate overhead lighting so you're not straining your eyes to see the monitor.

Prices vary, but for $299 you can pick up a large 32-inch LG QHD LED IPS Monitor (model # 32QK500-W). For gamers who want something bigger, wider, and faster (to keep up with action games), there's the top-of-the-line 34inch LG GK950G UltraWide Curved Gaming Monitor ($1,399), with sphere lighting on the back.

Look away from your monitor every couple of minutes and close your eyes every few moments to give them a break, too.

"Dry eye" is becoming a common condition and it is being attributed, in part, to our reliance on digital displays, as we're focusing on screens and blinking less often. Symptoms include a stinging, burning or scratchy sensation in your eyes, eye redness, sensitivity to light or perhaps some stringy mucus in or around your eyes. Over-the-counter eye drops such as Systane Complete Lubricant Eye Drops ($10) provide instant hydration.

More 'ergo' tips and tricks

Take frequent breaks. Get a drink of water, stretch and do some minor neck, back and arm exercises. You can also gently rub your muscles when you need a little break.

Perform these short stretches and exercises repeatedly throughout the day, even if it's rolling your neck around, reaching up to the ceiling or walking around the office to stretch your legs.

If you use a phone all day, buy a hands-free headset, so you're not trying to hold the phone between your neck and ear while typing at the same time.

Click for Neenah, WI Forecast

angelface555

Don, some good, (if somewhat pricy); suggestions!

donklan

I realize there were several product endorsements built in but what I took away was the reminder to get up and stretch body parts regularly. I believe that 11 hours probably fit many of us.

JeanneP

Perfect timing Don, I am having hard time with my thumbs right now I just got the curved keyboard fo desktop w10.
JeanneP

JeanneP

I did call Comcast today. Got someone in Singapore. Was a long call. It is about a service call that is on my invoice for 60.00. I thought it was for when they came out in Jan. Could not do what i Needed on this new computer.  But they say it was for December. I didn't even call in December as I was gone the day after they say was here. Fact was getting ready to go to Missouri to pick up this new computer. Told them I needed a copy of report on what they did.  Report also shows wrong tel. phone for whoever. Was not mine. So they doing some research.
They do pretty good on phone( usually out of US) but not if it is a computer problem. Will see what happens.
This new keyboard on Desktop sure feels funny typing still. Wish I could put the old one back on but it is not wireless and no idea where to plug the old one in. Amazing how the new computers do not have all the same connections in the back
Daughter in Texas sent me the W10 book for seniors. Fact got 2 now as the first one from Amazon was put on the wrong porch and I did not receive in the usual 3 hours. She called Amazon and they sent another one. Later the person up the street got home and saw the first one on his porch.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Don. Now I like the size of Fonts on your typing. Still dont know my way around this W10  as how to change mine to it.
JeanneP

donklan

Don. Now I like the size of Fonts on your typing. Still dont know my way around this W10  as how to change mine to it.

JEANNE, try this....1. click in the Reply box  2. click on the "B" on the left  3. click on the second item in the third box (the letter A with a red line   4. click on the number 4 that shows up below  5. Start typing.....hope that works

JeanneP

Don. I should have left well enough alone. Really messed computer up It won't even let me sign on now. Wifi seems to be working as I am here on my iPad.sure don't know what I changed.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Don I see how you do it now but just going to not change anything on here. I was just wanting to change some settings on the desktop W10. Really messed it up.
JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

Just does not see to work for me.  My SIL will maybe come to Illinois in March and then will fix the W 10 to the way I want it.
JeanneP

JeanneP

Going to try again not using the other post reply

NO DID NOT WORK DOES WORK IN THIS CAP WAY
JeanneP

jackwv

JeanneP   as Don described, I am sending a clip of the steps to get your post large and in color.  I had first clicked on the B and the word bold appears, I then go over to the A with the down arrow, click it and pick 4 for size, I then go to the next box, click it and I always pick green.  You will see in the photo how the information forms in your post and then as you type your message is between two brackets as you type.  Try a short test, hope it works for you. Putting the steps in a separate post

jackwv

For posting larger and in color

[attach name=for+seniors.JPG type=image/jpeg]8521[/attach]

jane

Jeanne....the larger font that Don and Jack are explaining is for in this area.  It's NOT changing anything on your desktop.  It's the settings for here only.  Just follow what they're showing you...and your desktop is not changed...just what you post here.

This is using size 3 from the A with the red arrow Jack shows in his screenshot.

This is size 4

jane

so_P_bubble

Jeanne, note that your typing must be in the middle of those codes,
 between ]and[

JeanneP

now I seem to be doing like jack shows above.

I also need to change every where on his new w10 . All so small .

Bubble do I put the coding in first? And then go down to typ massage?.
JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

JeanneP

going to try this  I give in . Must be getting dumber by the day
JeanneP

so_P_bubble

Yes, the coding comes first and the posting is IN THE MIDDLE  OF THE CODING, not after it

donklan

When hovering over a link, does anyone else have a popup appear.....Blue box with white type saying 1st visit (with date)...Last visit (with date)...and Total Visits (showing total #) ???

RAMMEL

Quote from: donklan on February 14, 2019, 04:56:52 PMWhen hovering over a link, does anyone else have a popup appear.....Blue box with white type saying 1st visit (with date)...Last visit (with date)...and Total Visits (showing total #) ???
Don, - which browser are you using?  I'm using Firefox. When I hover over a link it bring up a white box with the link info in it (not always the same happens). Nothing about a date.  Is there something buried in "options"?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

donklan

I'm using Chrome Rammel.  Probably something built in or something malware added.
I'll switch to Firefox and see if it still appears.

donklan

angelface555

Just be aware that Michael is tinkering with the systems on site again. It might be part of that or not.

donklan

Thanks for the suggestion, Patricia.
This is a Popup I've had for over a month. May be a Google feature as I am now  using Firefox and don't notice it so far.The other thing I just noticed, with Google, when I mouse over "Unread Posts", it is RED, not with Firefox.
I'll keep checking.

RAMMEL

I can get nothing like you get when using FF.  So, --- must be as you say - a Google / Chrome thing.  If you can find someone else using Chrome they might be able to verify (or not). I think Sandy might use Chrome.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

donklan

Believe I found the culprit.  I checked all the Chrome Extensions that were active and found one titled LINK-HISTORY.  Disabled that and will see what happens going forward.

donklan

A nostalgic stroll back in time to the birth of the World Wide Web.
I believe it will bring back memories for RICK and other tech-minded members.
I noticed that some of the slides were thought to be Ads and I had to turn my AD-BLOCKER off to view them.

https://www.techrepublic.com/pictures/photos-23-milestones-in-the-history-of-the-web/?ftag=TREe09998f&bhid=103485728