Random Image

poinsettia

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:33:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Bosom Buddies

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 01:17:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeanneP

Just watching the storms in North and South Carolina and Virginia. Is all O.K for you and yours.
Never seen frozen fog before. That is what we are having today right now. Just returned home before it came in.
Can't see 5ft in front of you.
I was going to put off going to Walmart until tomorrow. Got a little sun out and ice melted off my car and so I went. Glad I got back home. Now its dark and ice fog still here and traffic so slow. Doubt I move out tomorrow. After seeing what is happening in the South I am not going to complain about ours.
Marilyne. Sounds good on your eye. Good they will do the other pretty soon. Get your out of the way. Taking all your time watching your husband. 
Are you still going out of State for Christmas?Will he now be going with you

JeanneP

maryz

Jeanne, glad you got a window of sunshine to get your errands in.  Now just stay in and hibernate.

Marilyn, glad things have settled down somewhat.  It's good you have someone daily to help with Keith and to let you get some "me" time.

We're supposed to be having black ice and that frozen fog ("frog"???) in the morning.  Glad I don't have to get going anywhere.  I had two appointments this morning.  First was a 6-month checkup with the pulmonologist (status quo) and with the dermatology PA to check on a place on my ear.  She said it was an actinitic keratosis (precancerous) and froze it.  Basically two easy ones.  I finally got back to duplicate after about a month.  We had terrible cards - I think I was able to open once in 18 hands and only played two.  And yet we still came in with 50% (although no MPs).  Amazing how that works. 

Hugs to all the Buddies - stay warm!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

alpiner1

I have an appt. with the cancer dr. tomorrow morning & will learn of the lab reports  .  Next week I have an appt; withe cancer surgeon  & will have a mammogram . I'm feeling & doing better than I have for months .  Hoping for the best on the lab work & mammogram coming up .
I saw my primary dr. last week & all is good with my asthma & COPD , the dr. was very pleased .  He reminded me no more salsa ( food poisoning not long ago ) .

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's another very chilly day here this morning.  I am planning a trip to the bank to check my account and to get some money to hold me over through Christmas.  My neighbor Sandra is going to pick me up when she comes home from her Zumba class.  I gave Alex and Nic book money while I was at the beach with their family, so I know my balance has gone down a good bit.  I usually give my sons and DIL's checks for Christmas.  So I need to be sure I have enough to do that.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.  If you're out shopping, watch out for the "other guys".  I think traffic is terrible during these heavy shopping months!

Sue

jane

Alpiner...we ALL get very nervous before a mammogram...even me...and I'm 30 yrs out from my mastectomy and chemo. You'll be in our thoughts and prayers as we do for all our Buddies.  We, who've been through this, know the terror and anxiety.

Marilyn...I'm glad K is doing better physically, but he obviously can't be left alone.  Will someone stay with him when you go to CA or will you take him with you?

Sharon, Mary, and Sue...it sounds as if Mary has the worse part of the storm...but stay safe and warm, all 3 of you!

Darlene...yes, we are loving the weather...to be in 80s again tomorrow and Thurday.  Ray's gone golfing today and I'm heading out in a bit to pick up Terri for lunch out while our fellas are golfing.

jane

SharonE

We're home from John's cataract surgery. All seems to be fine.  I was worried about this one because it was the good eye.  It's low 40's here today and sunny. Some areas fighting black ice, but we had no problems this morning.

Darlene, I hope the Losartan works for you without side affects. Since you are able to walk okay, keep it up. I wish I could.

Marilyn, as I told you on FB, I'm so glad K is healing and that you have a good caregiver. It's a shame that his mental state is still so weak.  When do you live for Gilbert's?  Hang in there.

Apparently, they jumped me several posts, so had to catch up.  Jane, I envy you the nice warm weather. Have a nice lunch.

Mary, duplicate is a strange game sometimes. Glad you're back at it though because I know you enjoy it.

Alpiner, I hope all your reports are good. It's great that you're feeling so much better.

Sue, hope you got to the bank. I gave out a lot of checks this year too.  Hi to all.  Sharon

jane

Sharon....so glad the cataract surgery went well for John.  I know it's almost "routine" ...yet it is the eyes, and so I'd worry, too.  Mine is still a couple years away the doc says, but I know I'll be nervous when that time comes.

It is beautiful here.  Terri and I had a nice lunch...BLTs and a salad at a new place...which opened in an old place, as happens a lot here on the Island.  It was good.  Also, they have a bagpiper who playes every night at sunset, so I know we'll be going over to hear that.  It's apparently a large family...our waitress, Maria, is a daughter-in-law and they have their own family band that's playing tonight and a daughter who did the art murals, etc. 

I think tomorrow we'll go over to Donna-Weslaco to the big outdoor market where I once met Maryz and John.  Ray's looking for some diabetic socks, and I know they have them there. 

I walked after I got back from dropping Terri off and so have that "job" done for today. 

jane

maryz

alpiner, we're with you about the mammogram.  Let us know how it comes out.

Sharon, I know you're glad John's surgery is over and with good results.  It's always a relief.

jane, y'all have fun at the market.  I remember it well.  We also met for that good breakfast one time.  Must be a thing.  The time we met Sharon and John in Charlotte it was for breakfast, too, I think.

It turned out to be a beautiful sunny day today - the high got up to 50.  It's supposed to be nice tomorrow, too.  My excitement tomorrow is my mani/pedi.  Jean and Kate are coming over to go to lunch on Thursday (and deliver their Xmas cookies).

Sleep well, Buddies!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

alpiner1

The appt. with the cancer dr. went well , she was happy with my lab results .  She said to exercise but that is pretty difficult with my breathing & back problems .

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  It's chilly and windy here today, but is supposed to get up into the 60's, low 70's later today.  I have a bridge luncheon at the University Club at 11:00.  I need to call Libba who will be subbing for us to pick me up to go out there.  I'll do that before I shower and dress.

Alpiner, I'm glad your appointment with the cancer doctor went well.  It's hard to exercise though, with breathing and back problems.  Keep us posted.  Like Jane, I'm a long way from my BC surgery and am doing well.  Is surgery in your near future?

I need to call Libba to see if she can take me to the luncheon today, also need to get into the shower and shampoo my hair. 

Mary, what fun to have 2 of your daughters to visit tomorrow and with Christmas cookies, too!  Enjoy your day out with them.

Jane, it sounds like you're enjoying your winter residence/vacation.  It's nice that you have friends from previous stays at your condo to do lunch and other things you enjoy.  I'm glad you're having nice weather down there.

Sharon, I'm glad John's cataract surgery went well.  He'll be amazed and happy at what a difference it makes with his vision.  I did get to the bank yesterday and was happy to see my balance was quite good.  I was worried as I gave both Alex and Nic $500 for books when we were at the beach.  This is Alex's last year at Birmingham Southern.  Nic is a Sophomore this year at LSU.  Thank goodness both are on scholarships!

Hello to Every Buddy looking in.  Have a nice day--and stay warm!
Sue

Marilyn

I will be leaving for Gilbert's on the 24th and returning on the 16th, the caregiver will be here the whole time I am gone. this week on Friday evening is the Hospice Christmas Potluck to which I am going then Sunday afternoon is the Furry Friends Christmas Potluck So I am being the party girl this week.  ;D

The plumber is here this morning and boy is it every costing a bundle to get the leaking toilet fixed. They start out at a 2 hr minimum for $30 and  more for parts.

Keith had an appointment with the surgeon who did  the hernia this morning then on to the infusion clinic at the hospital.

This day has not started out well for me. When I got out of the shower, I was going down the twop steps to the bedroom and stepped in a p;uddle of pee that Keith had dopne there he had also peed all over the master bathroom floor. So I sporayed a thick coat of Distilled vinegar on the carpet hoping it doesn't dry and stink. like urine.

Vanilla-Jackie

I was hoping like last year, to go to this Sundays candlelight Carol service at one of the two churches we both went to last year but, I have only found out today the full procedure Richard has to go through this Sunday in preparation for his colonoscopy the following morning, the Monday...he has to fast and flush out his system so that is a definite no no, and I cant get myself there by myself so will have to give that church a miss for this year...there are one or two other churches that will be holding theirs on a different day...Richard has been having tests, invasive tests through our last couple of weeks...another procedure is due tomorrow...such bad timing, our Christmas period...Medical based appointments must take preference...

Marilyn...
...R is due a one off iron infusion tomorrow, so sounds like he will be keeping your Keith company...

Alpiner...
...I think that's our medics answer to everything " exercise .." easier said than done...although beneficial if we can keep our body moving, if at all that is possible...Same here with my MS, I am not ready to give up my legs and feet without a fight..
" There is no present like the time "

JeanneP

Our new medics answer now seems to be "That is changing with Age" As if we didn't figure it out. So many of mine have now died or retired. Had most for over 30 years. Never used a Primary Dr. But now most of the Private ones outside the Hospital/clinic have gone. Just 2 left in the area. Large 2 hospital/clinics have taken over. Getting like Socialized Medicine in The US now. Only different is we pay for it monthly . Not this way in other countries.
JeanneP

Vanilla-Jackie

JeanneP...
...seems medics nowadays either assume It is an age thing or a weight thing  >:( ...whatever ailment we bring to them...their answer is often " if you lose some weight " well that is a posibilty but we cant do anything about our age...;D 
" There is no present like the time "

SharonE

I agree that they all want us to exercise and lose weight.  The recumbent bicycle is a good choice for exercise if you have back problems and you can regulate how fast you go so that breathing might not be a problem.  I haven't been very good about exercise since before TG. With Christmas preps, dr's appts, John's cataracts, etc, there just doesn't seem to be any time.

I spoke too soon about JOhn's eyes.  They are still dialated and he can't see to read with or without his glasses and won't get new ones for 3-4 weeks. He saw the ophthamologist this AM and will see the surgeon again on Friday. His pressure was down to 3 in his good eye. Usually about 11 is where they want it. So he is to skip glaucoma drops till Friday.  I've had to answer several emails for him because he can't see to do it.

I went to our Christmas bridge & luncheon this morning. I had wonderful cards and my partners had none! So I ended up with the booby prize---my $ back.  Had a lovely time anyway.

Everyone seems to be going to lots of Christmas events and enjoying themselves. Good luck to your husband V-J. Not fun.

Hi to Jane, Sue, Mary and all. Gotta run.  Sharon

jane

Alpiner...glad the doc visit went well.

Sharon...hope John's eye heals ok now.

Marilyn...I think you meant down on the 24th and back on the 26th?  Are you driving?  How far is the trip?

Sue...enjoy bridge.

Mary...nice to meet with your girls.

We got to the market and Ray got some "diabetic" socks he wanted in his size.  It's hard to find socks sized 13-15.

It was high 70s so very pleasant and the market wasn't busy.

Jane

alpiner1

This isn't about a medical problem but I need to get it off my chest .  There was a package delivered today that has me very upset .  It was sent without a name . Its a live potted Christmas tree with all the trimmings .  To most folks this would be a welcomed gift . But you see my husband doesn't believe in having a Christmas tree , he thinks it comes from the pagans . We are Christians & we do send gifts to our children but don't celebrate the day as others do . my family celebrated Christmas & had a tree but for 60 years there hasn't been one in our home .  We aren't told what day Christ was born so we don't celebrate at this time of the year .  I have been crying because it brings back very pleasant memories & I try to just be quiet & not raise a ruckess. I'm going to have my husband plant it in the yard .
I have tried to reach the company that sent the tree & am waiting for them to call .

maryz

So sorry you're upset, alpiner.  We're all able to observe holidays or not as we choose, and no one should criticize.  Obviously you have memories that you'd put away, and are distressed by this.  It's good it's a live tree that can be planted in your yard.  I hope you can find out who sent it to you.  How strange - and hurtful.

alpiner1

I discovered it was our next to the youngest son . I had commented on pictures of his tree he posted on fb about how beautiful it was . I told him I appreciated him thinking of me . I didn't tell him how upset I was . He asked it I decorated it with enclosed decorations . I told him no . He said even if I didn't decorate it I could keep it indoors . Its on the front porch, I told him his dad will plant it .
Years ago my husband thought it would be a good idea to drive around the neighborhood to look at the Christmas lights ( he was trying to cheer me up because Christmas time I get so emotionally upset ), he meant well but I broke down crying & told him I wanted to go home !

Marilyn

Jane yes that is what I meant. I am Driving and Freckles is going with me. It is approx. 230 miles

jane

Alpiner...you've kept a lot repressed for 60 yrs.  Maybe your son, who does have a tree now, gets that and wanted to cheer you up, in spite of his father's religious feelings.  I hope you can enjoy it outside.

Marilyn...not too bad a drive then...but do drive carefully and take breaks to get out and walk around...for you and Freckles.
 ;)

We've had rain overnight and more to come today with a drop in temps to the mid 60s.

Jane. 

SCFSue

Good morning, Buddies.  I've had breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen, am dressed and am waiting for a young woman who represents the U. Of South Carolina, my alma mater.  Tim is coming over about 9:30 as that is when I am expecting her.  We are both sure she is going to ask for a sizable donation and he is concerned about it.  I have been a donor ever since Bob and I graduated from Carolina, but Tim is right that I will probably be facing a move to an assisted living facility or something similar in a few more years, so he wants to be here to put the Kibosh on her request.  I hope he will be polite and not surly!

I'm taking my friend, Olyne, out to lunch about 11:00.  She's the one who takes me to SS and Church every Sunday and has been a good friend since both of us moved to Auburn about the same time.  So I hope this woman will conduct her business quickly and Tim will be pleasant!

Not much else to report today.  Alpiner, I'm glad your son sent you the tree and hope that he'll help you plant it outside.  Try not to worry--although I know it's hard when you have a problem.

Marilyn, I hope you have good driving weather for your trip.  I'm sorry about Keith's problem with incontinence.  I know you've mentioned who'll be taking care of him while you're gone and I hope he/she will do a good job for you.

Hello to Joy, Mary, Darlene, and whoever is looking in today.  It's chilly here again today and rain is expected--which may turn to sleet.  UGH!

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SharonE

Just back from the grocery and finally got lunch. Back hurting by the time I got home of course. Nothing scheduled for the rest of the day but have labs a5 8:30 AM tomorrow and then have to pick our SS leader up at 9:30 to go to the church to rehearse for our advent skits for 2 SS classes. John is having to bow out. I'm Elisabeth, Zacharias' wife and mother to John the Baptist.  John is better but still having trouble reading although I found one of my cheaters that is helping him now. It didn't help me but we are opposite in far and near sightedness.

Jane, I'm jealous of your temps. Glad Ray found his socks. We have a grandson who has feet like that too.

Mary, enjoy your cookies.

Sue, just practice saying "NO, I can't do that!"  It's hard to say when you like the cause, but you have to take care of yourself.

Alpiner, I'm sorry Christmas is a sad time for you and for the unfortunate gift.  Just remember that we all march to our own drumbeat and don't have to follow other's celebrations if it doesn't fit with your beliefs.

Marilyn, what a mess you had.  I know you will enjoy your brief visit at Gilbert's and not having to be responsible for K every minute.  Maybe as he heals, you will have less health problems, although the mental ones won't go away.  You are in my prayers.  Hang in there.  Enjoy playing Words With Friends with you.

Very overcast here today and supposed to rain all day tomorrow.  Joy!   Sharon

Marilyn

I have lost a total of 6 lbs while dealing with Keith's problems, the hospital and also since he has been home. My Dr. suspects it is from stress, however, she wants me to have a CT scan of my lungs just to be sure there is no cancer since I am a former smoker.I am down to 139 this morning, i was 140 last week and 146 when all this started in October. For my check=-ups my lungs have always been clear and I don't nave difficulty breathing  if I take my inhaler each morning, I am not in any pain either, but I am concerned about the weight loss. So I am going to email the DR. and have them set up the scan appointment for after the  eye surgery next month.

I have the gifts for  Ca. all  packed up in  the Christmas bags, and Freckles beds are washed so that much is one for my trip south on the 24th. I contacted the area Agency on aging yesterday and will have a face to face meeting with  them on Tuesday to discuss other resources available  to Keith's care and for me to get some respite help.. The also give a yearly allowance for medical equipment and for sough like Ensure or Boost. There is also a caregivers class that I will be taking  that deals in all resources available to the caregiver (Me).

SharonE

So much on your plate, Marilyn. You're both in all our thoughts and prayers. You are really getting skinny. Do check it out and maybe eat something between meals.

I just got back from first a blood draw, then had to pick up my SS leader and go to the church to rehearse our Advent skit.  Not really necessary.  John went to the eye Dr this AM and they changed some drops around to stablize the pressure, but it wasn't the surgeon. He won't get to see the surgeon for 2 weeks and then will have to set up an appt for new glasses. He's not a happy camper and won't go to church as he can't see with his glasses on to walk and can't see much without them.  Of course he could go if he wanted to, but he will do what he decides to do and no talking will change his mind.

The HOA landscapers finally blew all the leaves off our front and back lawn and sucked them up into a truck. YEA!  Bunny won't be dragging so many in now.  It is raining and has been since I got up. YUCK!

Hope you are all doing well and getting any preparations for Christmas that you have left done.  Sharon

jane

Morning, Gals...just barely... ::)

Marilyn...I'd think stress is a huge reason for your weight loss, but good to be checked out. 

Sharon...hard to go anywhere when John can't see.  He sure doesn't need to fall or feel like he can't see anyone or anything around him.  I hope that eye clears up for him.

We have a beautiful sunny day...but gale force winds...so we're staying in.  No need to be out and about when it's blowing like this.  I don't know how people stay in a hurricane.  These 30-35 mph winds are bad enough.

jane

maryz

Marilyn, I hope you're just able to relax and enjoy your time away with your family.  That's always something that gets overlooked by caregivers.  Definitely rule out physical problems, but like Sharon said, stress can also contribute to weight loss.

Sharon - yucky and rainy here, too - but not too cold.

jane, and nothing like your winds.  Wow! those are gale-force!  You'd really blow away.

Finally got some testing done and got some good (by comparison) news.  I had the nerve conduction test this morning because of the numbness in my hand.  We assumed it was coming from my neck, but this was to rule out carpal tunnel syndrome.  Turns out at last most of it IS from carpal tunnel.
 The doc said I had "moderate to severe carpal tunnel syndrome" and said he considered that very good news.  I certainly agree - and will plan to have that fixed sometime in the near future.

Hugs to all the Buddies - stay warm and dry!

SCFSue

Hello Buddies.  I'm finally here.  I've tried several times to get to the reply apt, but kept getting shoved off.  I've found the new changes VERY FRUSTRATING!  Tim arrived about 11:00 and we went to the library and Kroger.  I did my shopping and he brought me home to put the groceries away before we went out for our Saturday lunch (and a bottle of beer, each!).  He and Kris will do a bit of traveling this winter and he has arranged for a friend to be available to stay overnight with me if I need it (I don't) and to take me to the store and any other necessary errands.  I like Kenny and think that will work out OK for both of us.

It's still raining.  I'll probably start reading one of my new library books.  Tomorrow I'll probably watch some football and/or basketball games.

Have a nice day, Every Buddy.
Sue

SCFSue

I'm STILL frustrated!  I just wrote a post for you Buddies and it has completely disappeared!  I DO NOT LIKE this new format.  I'll just say I am feeling well and am working on Christmas cards today.  I'm also making pimento cheese balls this afternoon to take to a neighborhood party tomorrow afternoon.  I hope Every Buddy is feeling well and are not so busy with Christmas preparations that you are tired!

Have a happy Saturday, Buddies.
Sue

SharonE

Sue, so sorry you are having such a problem with the new format. I just hit "reply" and it gives me the box as usual. When I'm done, I hit "Post" and it all works.  Hope you get your cheese ball appetizers made and get to enjoy your book.  That's great that Tim & Kris have arranged for someone to step in when they are traveling. Eases stress all around.

It rained all day yesterday, although not hard all of the time. It is overcast today and supposed to be in the 50's.  No gale force winds like Jane!!  You're wise to stay in.

John seems to be adjusting and healing some and has now decided to go to church.  The cheaters I found for him has made a huge difference.  The only problem is that he won't be able to get his new glasses for about 4 weeks.

My cold has come back full force after being fine all week.  Not a happy camper. I wanted to go shopping across the street today, but I just don't feel like it.  I have a rump roast ready to cook and want to add noodles to it. Sounds like good comfort food to me and not too much trouble to make.

Hi to all. Sharon