Random Image

keani

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:22:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

D

Norms Bait and Tackle

Started by dapphne, March 30, 2016, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Marilyne, thank you for pointing that video out to me. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the trust between the pups and the birds.
Patricia, thank you for posting this...I am going to send it on for others to enjoy!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Mary Ann

Patricia, I watched the boxes again and included the third box.  I still think someone had too much time on their hands.

Tom and I went to the Corner Bar in Rockford for supper tonight.  I doubt we'll go at prime supper time again because we had to wait 15 minutes for a table, then it was so noisy we could hardly be heard.

The Corner Bar is a very popular place, a landmark dating back to 1873.  Over a year ago the place was destroyed by fire, an accidental accident (not arson).  The brick facade for the most part was saved and is now part of the new building.  A Wall of Honor, for those who ate the most hot dogs at one setting within a certain amount of time, is there again.  I think the original wall was gone, but someone had photographed the wall and they were able to put up a new wall with all of the names and records. 

We like to go there and  will go again, but we'll change our time, maybe earlier in the afternoon.  It is a fun place and a family place, even if there is a bar. 

When I went to make my bed this morning with Jan's quilt on it, I had a helper who made himself comfortable in the middle of the bed.  He was on the white sheet I have over the blanket which is there to keep from getting scads of cat hair on it.  In the afternoon, I took a nap and started to pull the quilt up to make the bed - guess who came in to help me again.  I did manage to get the quilt up over the pillows this time.  If I make the slightest noise in my bedroom, Kendrick hears me and comes in for petting.

Other than that, the day was quiet.

Mary Ann

Denver

Wednesday night and I am just getting in to post.  We have been quite busy with the kiddos and Michele.

We had quite the storm tonight.....lots of thunder, lightening and HAIL😩🤬🤬. It did a pretty good amount of damage to my plants😩

Michele is trying to get the next gamma knife procedure scheduled for next week, but the oncologist that does this is on vacation this week so it may not happen.  She is just so wanting to get this brain cancer taken care of ASAP.  AS ALWAYS, I thank you all so very much for your continued support and prayers🦋

I have not commented about my Dad recently, but he seems to be doing well and back doing about everything he was doing before the last medical scare.  I talk to him every day. 

My brother is getting stronger each day and sounds good.  Nice to see some things coming back to normal!

Pleasant dreams to ALL❣️

Jenny

🦋 Jenny
"Love many, trust few; learn to paddle your own canoe"

Vanilla-Jackie

Jenny...
...of course she does...quoting: " She is just so wanting to get this brain cancer taken care of ASAP."
...Yes the sooner the better then she can get on with her young life...Its always the waiting that's the worst..
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Jenny, it is good to hear that some things in your lives are returning to normal - whatever normal is. 

Patricia, cute template of the pets. 

The lawn mowers are here so it has to be Thursday. 

I think I'm going to do some sorting today.  I procrastinate with it, but as S&F slows down, I have less to read and the sorting must be done.  They're papers I've put in drawers and/or piles to be done later  I think "later" is here!

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Everyday I start out by saying, "Today's the day to do the sorting and the shredding"!  My intentions are always good, but somehow I get distracted with other things. 

Yesterday afternoon, we had a great time time at the antique shop!  It was a big store, divided into individual sections with many dealers.  There was also a large outdoor space in the back under the trees, that was beautifully decorated with old yard furniture, and an old metal green and cream colored kitchen stove, that I fell in love with!  AJ did find one trumpet, in a case, but it was pretty beat up, with missing valves.  There was also a gorgeous accordion, with all sorts of flashy decorations, but those were the only two musical instruments.   I did buy two small items, because I had a moment of nostalgia, and couldn't resist.  My dad worked until retirement,  for a paper company that specialized in small bags with handles, that were printed with colorful themes, according to the product to be placed inside.  They were called Home-Toter bags.  I was thrilled to see a stack of "Home-Toters", with the logo of a milk company in bright blue and white. I bought two of the bags for $2.00 dollars each.  But what am I going to do with them?  Right now they're fastened to my fridge door with magnets, so I can just enjoy looking at them!

Jenny - I hope the doctor who does the Gamma-knife, will be back next week, so Michele can get that procedure done, ASAP!  I can imagine that she is anxious, as every day counts.  I'm glad your Dad is doing so well.  He is a strong and determined man, which is an important attitude to have. Michele has the same attitude, which is what it takes to keep moving forward, against all odds.   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, it sounds as if the antique shop is a consignment shop.  No problem - antique is antique!  Occasionally I get a gift or something from someone in a colorful bag with a handle.  I like to save them, what for? I have no idea.  I have one fabric bag and if I'd get a second one, I'd give them to the twins.  I might give this one to them anyway because they share things very nicely. 

I used to have the front and one side of my refrigerator covered with magnets.  When I got a new box, I had to remove all of the magnets and have never put them back.  When I traveled, I tried to buy a souvenir from each place and magnets are small and fit in suitcases.  I can't see my putting pretty bags on the doors, but I could look for the magnets and put some of them back.  I'm not sure Tom would like it, however, they were here before he was.

I have not started my sorting yet and I think I'll have lunch first.   I can pave my way to somewhere with my good intentions!

Kendrick helped me make my bed and he is now lying on the bed. 

Mary Ann

Joy

Just marking my place.  I was here early and then took a nap. 

So nothing going on so far today.  Time for lunch now. 

I have to go out early tomorrow for some tests and I won't get in here until later in the afternoon.  My son will pick me up on the way to work and I will call my DIL when I am finished.  Since I can't eat anything, hopefully,  we can stop somewhere for lunch or at least, pick up something to bring home.

I did read all the messages from a couple days, but don't have time right now to comment.

I just want to wish everyone a great day, 

Joy
BIG BOX

angelface555

Good morning from a cool Interior! We have several farms locally as Roosevelt during the Dustbowl era sent those farming refugees here and to the Anchorage area. Several of these offers yearly or monthly subscriptions, which are always nice. When we were privately owned, we had one for this building, and the food was always delicious. Seniors do get, each summer, a couple of farmer's vouchers, so there is that.

We also have in the fall stands at the various school elementries that sell their summer's garden food. We have two summer-only farmer's markets and then the year-round farmer's market in an old grocery store that is either organic or local farm food and items such as tapestries or other homemade items.  The senior benefits work at any of these for Alaskan foods.

Since the only legal flower or food seeds allowed in the state are produced in the state, due to backpacking pests, you can find many fresh and heirloom seeds for your gardens. There is also a thriving peony export market. None of these are large establishments, other than the farms themselves; but the food is good, and it's local.

As for antiques, for many years, we had a vast store called "Something Special." The owner and her daughters purchased both local and from outside. Since shipping was and is prohibitive, they would store their purchases until they had enough for two large rigs or railroad cars before shipping. When the mother died, the daughters sold out the stock.

Now there are consignment mall stores offering local antiques. There is also a veritable industry of yard sales as well as the state fair or various Autumn and or Christmas markets that sell anything you could want or imagine, taking over one of the sporting venues for the events. The only purchase
I still do an every three-month quart jar of local raw honey. You get a nice discount if you wash and return the glass jar so she can sanitize and reuse. You have the choice of either pint, quart, or gallon size for less than the grocery store product.

For many years we had Alaska House and Xanadu, which was an Alaskan artists' gallery and import and export shop. I especially loved,(couldn't afford!); the sizeable Italianate music boxes and carved wooden ones from Ukraine. The owners also did fall trips around the world for merchandise. Many of the large mall stores have gone bankrupt, I believe the last was Sears, and many of the grocery stores too, leaving Kroger's Fred Meyers, Safeway and Walmarts clustered together on the East and then the West sides of town.

We still have some large malls, but I rarely shop those anymore preferring online as I don't drive. We do have grocery ordering with either pickup or delivery as many of you do, but I've never tried it

This my 8,075th post, amazing.

Mary Ann

Patricia, you are one of the few people who have posted more times than I have.  Keep it up.

I think in my younger years I would loved to have lived in Alaska.  Having my father as my father contributes to that.  He liked the outdoors, first taught in Arizona and hiked up the mountains.  I would have liked the "ethnic" stores.  When I've been on trips or tours, I have always tried to buy something that represents the area.  One of the oddest things that happened to me along that line was when we were in Zion Canyon and I bought some Native American trinket (forget what) and when I got home, I looked at the back and it was made by the Ottawa Indians.  I don't know how widespread the Ottawas are, but we have them in our area (Ottawa County named for them).  So I went out west to buy something made in my back yard. 

We have a food market nearby that sells all kinds of fresh fruits and vegetables, but without a car, I don't get up there.  Tom doesn't think of it and he's not home all that often. 

The mall we had near here used to have antique shows two or three times yearly and I always went to see what was available.  I did buy a china cabinet which I still have and I bought a lady's cane rocker that I recently gave to a thrift shop.  I felt the rocker was too fragile to be in the living area and it took up space in my bedroom and held some afghans.  So I no longer have that.  Other malls do not interest me and as I don't need anything new, it is a good thing.  I did enjoy the garage and yard shopping Dot and I did in Florida, but I bought only small things for less than $1.  We do not have any ethnic places around that I know of. 

It used to be that Grand Rapids was 40% Dutch and 40% Polish with 20% everything else.  We were in the 20%.  I have no idea now about the percentages because we have people of every nationality (or nearly so) living here.

Mary Ann

angelface555

MaryAnn, the number of posts reflects that I was once involved in cards and similar moderating in S&F and in later versions of this site. We had more ongoing forums then and now it is less diverse, and people see that as well as new rules and methods drove many computer challenged folks away. I believe that Facebook and similar diverse sites attract more attention. I read recently that Facebook's trawling of people's information and selling that to advertisers led to a five billion fine, and that was only in the US. Other countries also leveled fines. Sadly, that five billion equals only about thirty days revenue for them.

Google openly sells your information to their and other advertising sites. It's even included in the browser and search engine's fine print you sign and agree to when downloading. This is the primary reason I revamped my belief that Google Search was my friend and now use DuckDuckGo's privacy essentials and search engine.

When I worked for Alaska House and Xanadu, I discovered that many international tourist companies had divisions that looked around at different areas to identify high selling items that weren't copywrit. And then the company would apply for copywrits, notifying the actual artist that they no longer had any rights to their work and could no longer reproduce, sell or trade what was their idea. Then the companies would produce high priced knockoffs. This is why I always look for state seals or copywrit information on the item.

If I didn't have to get out for groceries and other shopping, I would become a recluse, and I already have more than I need. And this is after the major decluttering I accomplished a few years back. I often think about moving to places that have more stores and outlets,(Alaska shipping is 23% higher than elsewhere in the US.); as well as more things to do. But I no longer have the means or health to follow through.

Marilyne

Mary Ann & Patricia - The antique shops here in California, are all operated in the same, or similar, fashion.  A dealer, (usually husband and wife), will lease an empty store or building, and then divide it up into different size spaces or cubicles.  Then other dealers come in and rent those spaces, usually for anywhere from $100 to $500 a month, depending on size.  The original dealer, or couple, who leased the building is the boss or owner, and  will be in charge of keeping track of everything that is sold, and will take 10% of each dealers sales.  Then they present a check to every dealer at the first of each month, with detailed  accounting as to what was sold, etc.  The many dealers take turns working the front desk, and helping customers.  If you have another job and can't work a shift, then you pay more for your space rent. 

I was in three different co-ops like that over the years.  Some months you make a lot of money, and other months, you don't make enough to cover your rent.  :'(   Mostly you break even.  Needless to say, you don't get rich buying and selling antiques! The different dealers specialize in specific things, so overall, every shop has a wide variety of merchandise.  For instance, in the shop I visited yesterday, there were about 20 different spaces, plus the back outside area . . . each with different types of merchandise. This particular building, used to be a military surplus store, so it was a nice size, and not too large.   Certain rules you must follow as a participating dealer, such as keeping your space clean and uncluttered, and not displaying anything junkie, broken or plastic.  Plastic is a no-no in the antique biz! 

So now you know more than you ever wanted to know about how antique stores work! ha ha. Oh well, not many messages in here lately, so we might as well post long messages, that probably no one reads anyway!  ::)  It's very hard for me to write anything short and to the point, so my posts usually ramble on way too long! 

Patricia - It's annoying that Facebook, Google, Instagram, eBay, etc. sell your name and some personal information to advertisers, but if you want to be on most internet sites, you have to make that choice.  Most people, (and I am one), choose to put up with it, to have the fun of participating in any site on the net.  I enjoy the social interaction on those that I like, such as the Facebook interest groups. I rarely if ever post on the so-called "news feed", but I do spend a lot of time in the closed groups. I belong to lots of FB groups dealing with Classic black & white movies, movies of the 1950's, and many antique groups dealing with dinnerware, glassware, old Pyrex, jadeite, and such.  I get a lot of pleasure out of participating in all of those. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I didn't know the ins and outs of the antique shows, but I did notice when I went to our mall that most dealers specialized in certain things.  Mostly I went to see what they had that we had had in my folks' household.  I bought several original paintings over the years, nothing valuable, but probably cost about $25 tops. 

Patricia and Marilyn, I am only on Firefox as a browser.  When Facebook first came out, I had many people, some unknown to me, asking to be my Friend.  I was not on Facebook, never have been, and I either refused or ignored the request.  I do not subscribe to Google.  I notice when I ask a question, it often is answered by Google.  I do not care for Bing.  Edge came with the Windows 10 program on my computer, but I don't use it, maybe on occasion, but I get the same answers as I get with Firefox.  I'm on the computer enough without having so many places to go. 

Kendrick and I just spent nearly an hour on the deck.  It's cool but comfortable and I let the sun shine on me a bit.  Kendrick wanders around but isn't content to just lie out there.  I'm happy when I don't have to run the a/c and today is one of those days I don't have to.

I just looked at Grand Haven and got the usual of the lighthouses and water.  Just for the heck of it, I clicked on the snowman site at the bottom.  The snowman site is in Michigan's UP and, of course, there is no snow up there now.  There is a feeder that may be a squirrel feeder and if it is not, the squirrels are feeding from it anyway.  Birds are on the ground eating what the squirrels spill out.  A thermometer says it is 66 degrees now.

I had a couple of scary things online yesterday.  One - I received a notice that a payment I had made was returned to the bank for some unknown reason.  I called the bank and business and no one had a clue as to why the payment was refused.  I resent it and it turned out the bank had sent the payment electronically and should not.  The second time, I got a check number, so all turned out OK there.  With all of the online banking I have done, this is the first time anything like that has happened.

The other message was that there had been no activity on one of my investments and I had to call a certain number or the account would be turned over to the State.  I had the same thing three years ago and that is the only investment that does that.  Anyway, I made the phone call and now I'm set for the next few years. 

Mary Ann

angelface555

I'm a bit odd on Facebook. I deleted my original account due to privacy issues but then missed some animal groups. So, I decided to open a new account but with no posts from me and absolutely no friends accepted. Facebook tried for months to get me to start using everything, but when they saw I only wanted to see animal videos, they stopped. Now they send me animal page notifications, and I continue to delete them.

FireFox has a program called Containers. In effect, this stops info from going in or out. I have one set up on my Facebook account, and by their sending me local news for the various animal pages I note, I see they're still trying to locate me.

"Facebook Container isolates your Facebook activity from the rest of your web activity to prevent Facebook from tracking you outside of the Facebook website via third-party cookies." You can put a "Container" on any site you wish.

"DuckDuckGo is an Internet search engine that emphasizes protecting searchers' privacy and avoiding the filter bubble of personalized search results." DuckDuckGo Privacy essentials," DuckDuckGo Privacy Essentials is a new web browser extension that promises to enhance your online privacy as you browse through different websites in your favorite web browser. The extension works for three most popular web browsers – Apple Safari, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome.

After installing this extension in your web browser when you visit a website, it checks three things – whether the website is using a secure connection (HTTPS), how many trackers are present on the website and how clear is the privacy policy of that website. Based on these three criteria, DuckDuckGo gives a grade to every website. The grades can be from A to F (just like in your school exams). A website with grade A is using the best possible privacy practices, and a website with F has adopted the worst possible privacy policies.

When using privacy essentials, they not only disable any trackers but also list them in the lower half of the webpage with a line drawn across. Some fairly benign, to me, webpages had close to ten or more trackers such as Doubleclick. I'm surfing the web anonymously and I use a malware app from my antivirus often, and my settings clean FireFox each time it closes.

I was attacked by a virus once long ago, lost everything and paid over 100.00 to clean my computer and swore it would never happen again.

angelface555

This program, System Mechanic, is one I use in conjunction with my overall antivirus. There are other programs doing the same or similar things. You just look for them and check their actual, not company! reviews.

Image5.jpg

Amy

Quote from: angelface555 on August 21, 2019, 10:29:40 PMI left a PSP graphic for Amy;

https://www.seniorsandfriends.org/index.php?msg=160090

Patricia, thank you, I found it when I was looking at the work bubble and you do. I did manage to save it. Thank you again. Hard to believe that Jessie was that small  when his back is 27"tall now!!

I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Marilyne

Good Morning to all who look in and post in this folder!  :)    I hope we hear from many of you, throughout the day today.  I wrote enough yesterday for 10 people, so I'll sit back for a while today and give everyone else a chance.  :D   

Mary Ann

Marilyn, you have to offer a tidbit to entice others to respond!
Ha!

I've been working on some of my genealogy.  Sometimes the clues fit the person but don't give all of the information or give conflicting information which creates duplications.  One of my dad's aunt's family had seven children and all seven were duplicated.   It's easy to correct but shouldn't be necessary.  At least I can make the corrections.  On another program, I have not learned how to correct wrong information and even though I put in the correct info when I entered it, somehow or other the wrong info was attached to my record.  That program does not rate high with me.

Time for lunch, so I'll be back later.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann - Thank you for the "tidbit"!  ;D   I've also been trying to find some genealogy information, and not having any luck with Ancestry.  I hadn't been on that site in a long time, and I see that they have changed their format yet again!  The first change, about a year ago, worked well for me.  It allowed me to see the names of all cousins - even distant.  Then I could click on that name, and get all sorts of information.  Now I see that option is no longer available?  I sent a message to a 3rd cousin that I had been in contact with, but never got an answer back from her?  I'm quickly losing interest, so I should try to access some help.

Nothing happening here today.  I'm spending a lot of time online, trying to find a pair of comfortable shoes that will fit me.  I've sent back so many pairs, that I've lost track!!  Fortunately, there are a number of online shoe stores that offer free returns, so I have that option.  You'd think the "law of averages" would kick in, and at least one pair would arrive and actually fit me!  So far, not happening. 

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I have a couple of dead-ends, one on each side of the family, and I have been unable to get any info on them.  One is a common name, too common (but not Smith of Jones) and the other there just isn't any information.  Both of them are 2x great-grandparents.  In the meantime, I keep adding to what I have for other families.

Mary Ann

Beverly

Sorry I haven't been here lately! The last couple of weeks have been up and down for me and the down days I just don't have the motivation to post.

A few days ago my doctor passed away. When the office called to tell me it was a shock, even though I knew she was fighting cancer. She worked right up to the end. She was a great doctor and a wonderful Christian lady. She was only 62.

We've had typical Florida weather......Sunny days with a thunderstorm tossed in every day or so. Everything has stayed nice and green this year.

What I like about Ancestry.com is that I can trace family back a couple of centuries using the census reports and birth and death reports. I've even had success with my great-great grandfather Jones family!

A cousin of mine has done the geneology of my mother's family from Canada. Both of her parents were Canadian. My daughter, Donna, has tried to trace Chape's family. She's run into a stumbling block with one of his great-greats because there were two unrelated ones with the same name in the same small town!

Tomorrow I'm getting a long overdue perm. I couldn't have one for awhile because of the skin cancer surgery on my head. I'm wearing my hair shorter now so it's easier to take care of.
MARY ANN I wish my hair was thicker, like yours. It was always thin but even more so now.

Speaking of hair........Donna is losing her hair from the chemo. Last week she had it cropped short, knowing she would lose it soon. We've been talking on "Facetime". Kind of fun. It's better than just a phone call.

Mary Ann - In most larger restaurants around here you can expect a 45 min. or longer wait to be seated when the snowbirds are here. In the summer it's much better, but we love the snowbirds anyway!  :)

Hope you all sleep well. Good night.

Mary Ann

Beverly, I had to scroll back to find out where Tom and I had eaten.  The Corner Bar is not a fancy restaurant - it is a BAR!  But it is a very popular place, especially now that it has been rebuilt.  It is a family place and their specialty is kraut dogs and chili dogs.  They do serve meals, but most people get the hot dogs in various ways.

My hair isn't as thick as it used to be but I still have enough to cover my head.  My hair is very white.  The only costs associated with my hair are haircuts every five weeks and maybe a couple bottles of shampoo.  No permanents; I had my first and only end curl when I was letting my hair grow longer and my mother said:  cut or end curl.  I chose the end curl and it took so well my hair was frizzed and I could hardly wait for it to get long enough to cut off the frizz.  Never again.  I used to have more wave in my hair but as long as I have body, I'm happy.  I'm sorry Donna is losing her hair, but I know it goes along with chemo.

Where I've had dead ends - one is in Germany where Denmark and Germany had control of Schleswig=Holstein at various times.  It was Danish when my family was there, Germany won it in the Prussian War so my family moved to the Jutland Peninsula before coming to the US.  One other is the name Sutton which is fairly common and too many people of that name and Fleming in Northern Ireland is like Smith or Jones here.  Someday!!!

I've showered and shampooed and I'll get dressed soon.  I have more browsing to do and Norm's is the first one I go to.

It was only 59 degrees outside and 71 degrees inside this morning and yesterday.  I'll be darned if I'm going to turn on the heat, but 71 degrees is a bit chilly the first thing in the morning. 

Mary Ann

Joy

Good morning. What a change in the temperatures !!  Feels good. I think I am just going to turn the A/C off for the next few days.  I think they are calling for it to be in the 80's the end of the week.  I am not  ready for summer to be over, yet.

I did not get in here yesterday at all.  My son picked me up on his way to work around 7 and I didn't get back until a little after 2.  It was a long day, and all the tests went ok. Now, just to have to wait for the results, which is hard to do.  But, I sure was tired when I got back home.  Nothing took a lot of energy on my part, but I think the anxiety makes you feel very tired.  I did sleep very well last night.

Mary Ann, I think places like your "Corner Bar" are vey popular in most towns. We used to have a place where we went that was sure not fancy, but almost the same people would be there and they had good food.  But, it was a bar, too. 
We always enjoyed going there with some friends. 

Later this afternoon, the family of one of our residents is having "Movie Night" and will be serving a light meal. Hot dogs and a couple things to go with them.  The movie will be "The Greatest Show on Earth".  I am sure I saw it years ago, but have forgotten.  About the circus, so I am sure it will be fun.  Nice  that this family is doing this.  They are a very special family, and since they come here very often, most of the residents know them.  Several people have asked if they could help, but they were told it wasn't necessary. They have everything planned out. So, that will be something different.  And, a lot of people have signed up. Just the mention of food brings people out of the woodwork. LOL

Nothing much else is going on.  I still need to get dressed and clean up my breakfast dishes.

Beverly, how sad that your doctor has passed away.  Hard when you have to find a new doctor.  Years ago, the orthopedic doctor that I went to collapsed while at the gym. That was such a shock, as he was a young, healthy guy.  Luckily, he had another doctor in with him, and I have learned to really like him a lot. He keeps me going !!

I had my first pernmanent when I was about 3 or 4  years old. That was way back when they used those big machines that made up look like something from outer space. Had permanents for years, but can't get them anymore, because of the medicine I take. I do get it done every week as a hairdresser comes to our place on Monday's.  And, she does set it in rollers for me and the set stays in pretty well for a week. Sometimes over the weekend, I will put a few rollers in it if I am going somewhere.

I hope everyone is doing well, and will have a good day.

Joy
BIG BOX

Mary Ann

Joy, here in Grand Rapids most of the fancy restaurants are in the south end of town or in the main hotel so many of the places we go are family sports bar.  A favorite is only a couple of miles from here, near our grocery supermarket and they have bought beach sand that they put on the ground plus they have some palm trees.  There is a pond nearby.   In the summer lots of people eat outside under umbrellas.  In the winter, I understand the trees go to the Meijer Gardens.  Palms have very shallow roots. 

Cheers is another family sports bar and very popular.  Russ's is headquartered in Holland MI with Dutch heritage, more conservative, no alcoholic beverages, very popular with the older people.  We don't have to dress up at any of the places we frequent.  Another place we like is the deli at Cannonsburg (Grist Mill Deli) where we get huge sandwiches.  We also have a steak place but we don't go there often because steaks cost more than we want to pay, besides Tom and I usually go out at noon.  Dot and/or Jan sometimes go with us. 

It is a lot cooler here today so no a/c but both doors open.  My thermometer reads 75 degrees but I think the sun is on the censor.

Joy, I hope your test results are what you want.  How nice of that family to have a Movie Night for your residents.  That makes it nicer for everyone.

Time to stir and do something constructive.

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Joy - I had to laugh, thinking about those crazy looking permanent machines in the old beauty shops!  I remember very clearly going with my mother and watching while she sat there with that weird contraption on her head.  I was one of those little girls who worried a lot, and it was a scary or unnerving sight to see.  I remember her sitting there smiling at me, and reassuring me.  Later, when I was about six, I had one, but I remember the beautician and my Mom saying, that it "didn't take".  There are lots of photos online of those old permanent wave machines.  I belong to a group on Facebook, called, Life in the 1940's, and every so often one of those pictures will show up.

Beverly - It sounds like Donna is doing well, and has a good attitude about the chemotherapy.  Yes, she will lose her hair, but it grows back, sometimes thicker than before!  In the meantime, she can wear a hat, a scarf, or a wig.  I just remembered that one of our long time members who used to post in this folder - Shirleyn, had Lymphoma this past year, and did both the chemotherapy and the radiation.  She is one of my Facebook friends, so I do see her posting there occasionally.  She did really well with her treatments.

Beverly, I know it's a real shock when your doctor dies suddenly!  About two years ago, my wonderful family doctor, was killed in a car crash, right here in town.  She and her husband were returning from dinner out, and were hit head-on by a drunk driver.  Both my doc and her husband were killed instantly, but the drunk driver survived, and was prosecuted.  I continued on with another doctor in the same group, but never felt comfortable going there again.  Long story, but I'm now looking for a different doctor, in a different group. So far I haven't had any luck.  Most practices are full, and they don't want any more Medicare patients.

Mary Ann - We have a place here in town that sounds a lot like, The Corner Bar.  It's a sports bar, called Double D's, named for the two owners, Dan and Don. The menu is mostly hamburgers and hot dogs, and  lots of TV's around with sporting events going on. (sound turned off, fortunately!).  It's close to us, right on the main corner in town, but extremely hard to find a parking place.  Close enough to walk, if we were young and fit! (NOT!)

Oh dear, it's already 8:45, and I've been sitting here for over an hour!  Better get to breakfast and kitchen clean-up![/u]

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I had to smile when you wrote about the Double Ds, named for the two owners.  One of our favorite places is another sports bar, Bud and Stanley's, named for the owner's two dogs.  I'm not sure the dogs are still alive, but restaurant is alive and thriving, enough that we often end up at Cheers because there is not enough parking (and Cheers is always busy too).  The have about a dozen specials on their lunch menu for $5.50 and I know the specials are very popular. 

Mary Ann

Marilyne

Mary Ann, a dozen specials on a lunch menu for only $5.50, would be very popular here as well!   It's hard to find anything on a menu around here, for less than $10.00.   I remember when Denny's used to have specials like that on their breakfast and lunch menu's, and they were quite good!   Unfortunately, all the Denny's restaurants around here have closed, although I know there are still a few in San Jose.

It's only 1:30 here, and I'm through for the day with any work related projects.  So what to do for the next four hours, before time to start preparing something for dinner?   Too hot to do anything outside, and I'm getting uncomfortable sitting here at the computer.  I have lots of movies recorded on my DVR, so will probably choose one to watch.

Mary Ann

Marilyn, I'm not sure, but those $5.50 specials may be only until 4 pm, but they are popular anyway.

Tom and I are going to Sheridan soon to have dinner with Tom's former mother-in-law.  She has the wet mac-d and still lives alone (widowed).  Doesn't drive, of course, and has a lot of willing people to take her around.  She'd like to buy a house in town so she could walk to church but has found nothing.  She lives beside a golf course and across the road from a lake.  It's nice if you drive, but rather confining otherwise.  Tom's former wife lives in Omena, north of Traverse City and her brother lives in Greenville, near Sheridan.  Sheridan is a small town on M-66 and if you blink, you might miss it.  It's a 45-minute drive from here.

I just woke up from a nap and when I went to lie down, there was a big cat on my bed.  I was unable to completely make the bed this morning and now I won't bother.  He just got up and left. 

Mary Ann

Mary Ann

It turned out that we did not go to Sheridan, after all.  I had it mixed up; I thought Carol had invited us there, but it turned out that Tom thought it would be nice to go visit Carol and he could not get hold of her all day.  She had gone to Paw Paw with her son and DIL to visit their daughter.  And the left hand (Tom is left handed) did not tell the right hand that things had fallen apart.  We decided to go to Wendy's, then I decided I'd like a fish sandwich from Russ's, so we went there instead.  I have an idea they were at the end of their fish because of the size of the piece in my sandwich.  Russ's is not open on Sunday and they would not like to carry fish over the weekend.  I mentioned it to the server and she apologized; it was not her fault.  The sandwich was hot like I like it, just not one of the better pieces of fish I've had there.  Tonight was a good night to go because Russ's wasn't too busy.  As I said earlier, Russ's is where the older people go.  Well, we're older!

Mary Ann