Random Image

Madison and fe cropped

Owner: Sandy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:32:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Bubble, if you want to delete my photo and leaves Jack's  that would be fine with me. I really like Jack's much better.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

jackwv

Amy, Bubble does all the heavy lifting in here and some great work with photos.  I was unable to pick up your email or would have asked first, so posted here. Was just taken by the looks of your two.

Amy

Jack, no need to ask, you did a beautiful job!! I saved that one to show my friends...thank you again. I will go back in my message and see if I can do it.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

FlaJean

That was a precious photo of your two, Amy.  Nice framing, Jack.

Shirley

What a darling pair, Amy! Anyone would guess they are related.  :smitten: Can't get over how much they look alike.

I don't know how you do the frames without Paint Shop Pro, Jack, but I am impressed.  :thumbup:

Still can't get my newer computer to connect to my system, but the problem I get when letting it run the test doesn't make sense because THIS computer will still get online.  :tickedoff: Maybe it will work tomorrow.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Shirley on January 21, 2019, 10:10:49 PMStill can't get my newer computer to connect to my system, but the problem I get when letting it run the test doesn't make sense because THIS computer will still get online.  :tickedoff: Maybe it will work tomorrow.
What kind of computer --- Desktop/ Laptop/etc.  Are you running it wireless? or with a wire to the modem?  Does your modem have an antenna sticking up?
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

jackwv

Windows 10 just added a feature to their photo app.  When you click to adjust the photo there is now an item  where you can add a 3 d effect.   I am posting one photo and then a snip of the upper corner of the app where the 3d can be found.  In the Photo Slide show discussion I have posted the link to a group of the photos with the added effect.  The nice thing is the photo is not too large to email, worth playing with.

[attach name=fOR+SENIORS.JPG type=image/jpeg]8380[/attach][attach name=fOR+SENIORS.JPG type=image/jpeg]8380[/attach]

Shirley

Rick, the one giving problems is the HP laptop I bought this past summer when in CO. A bargain (my sons said) on close out for $250. with touch screen & every perk. It has worked fantastic until now & I did get a "warning" last week that the warranty ran out, did I want to extend? Since I usually take blame for everything that goes wrong with my electronic stuff (my sons just roll their eyes)... I honestly don't know what to think.

I brought it in to the room right over the modem where this old computer sits, & the HP still wouldn't connect. I've restarted several times, even turned off for a few hours, went down to the modem & turned if off & back on several times (even left it off for half an hour once)... no good.

This all started when I tried to set up the NOMOROBO calls with Cox (my server). So far I've had a week of my phones thinking ALL calls are robo so my kids can't get through. When they try several times in a row I know to call one of them to find out which it is. I can call out right now but all bets off whether anyone can call me. 

When setting up the NOMOROBO it was discovered that the system is still in my husband's name & one lady dared to give his e-mail box a new password so she could act as primary (along with me), to complete the set up. The whole system is crazy but if I cancel that Cox account it will cause me to change all my business dealings as I used that mailbox for shopping (Amazon, etc) I would like to scream. But I'm not getting any robo calls right now.

Yesterday I was convinced there is a key on the HP laptop that shuts off the Wi-fi.... we have wireless all through the house. Where that laptop was sitting is at the far end of the house from the modem, so not many bars showing. BUT it was still faster than this poor old Toshiba that started life as an XP & finally upgraded to Windows 7 & then to 10 (without my permission). Got a notice one day that Win 10 would be installed at 11:00pm that night so my son had it install while he was here to keep me from having a heart attack. <smile>

Right now both my sons are over the top busy but the youngest will stop by tomorrow night to see if he can figure out what is going on.  This morning, with computers sitting side by side, I first wiggled the mouse on the HP to see if it was over it's tantrum... sure enough, it came up & connected. I clicked on Senior & Friends from the Google home page & it came up... it even let me read the posts in the Soda Shoppe, but when I clicked to visit in here it gave me the "NO INTERNET" pop up. Nothing will bring it back up, so I'm on the old Toshiba laptop typing this.

I do have the slowest internet (price), tried for a month with their new high speed & could not tell any difference. If this was a life or death situation both boys would drop to help, but it's just aggravating. My oldest son that had open heart surgery a couple months ago just got back from their multi family postponed trip to Disney so he is doing catch up. He was pushed into early retirement when the company he worked for pulled out of Wichita... only that company called him back a few weeks ago because they urgently need his help. He also teaches 2 classes at the local college (well over 200 students) so all the paper work, grading & class time keeps him busy, besides me & all his friends call him to HELP no matter what goes wrong. Couple this with his wife's mother in the last stages of Alzheimer's, absolutely mind consuming pity for his wife & mother & what they are going through.... my problems are not even a whisper in comparison, MY point of view.

All in all, I keep thinking there must be an end to these silly computer/phone issues but they drag on.  Today I plan to go to their office to see if anyone can get to the core of the problem... even if I have to take my phone off the NOMOROBO list. I will have to head out soon since temps are dropping all day & the misty rain will turn to ice & then snow by afternoon. I will pick up extra food to cook in case the need is soon.

Right now my daughter in law's mother is not eating, had signed a do not resuscitate form so no IV lines, she will be with hospice so pain free, but don't know how long she can last without any nourishment. She was one tough lady until Alzheimer's took over. I will do what I can to see the family that arrives will be fed and whatever else I can do, so MY problems are more keeping my mind busy until my help is needed.

If there is a key or anything you can think of that I might have touched to cause this (but why would it let me on for a few minutes this morning?)... any tips or help appreciated. Sorry this is so long but I am a little strung out this morning. Last time I saw this lady she was still vibrant, didn't understand who I was but explained to me how she was getting along in her new "apartment", walking the halls for exercise. Because she had become hostile & unable to take care of herself, they had taken her to another hospital/clinic to see if medications were the cause. She was mobile when admitted but unable to walk at all as time passes. Nobody has answers on how Alzheimer's will act, the worst disease I can imagine. Afraid it has kept me awake feeling such sadness for her & all the family, knowing this is one gene that can be passed down until "they" find a cause and cure. It affects my son, his wife & their children are terrified for their future and that fear goes on for my great grands that may inherit the gene. Sorry.... been keeping this bottled up & will now regret blabbering, but what is going on in  my world.

Interesting, Jack, I will check that out as soon as this posts... IF I can get it to work. Right now I wouldn't hold my breath that anything will work with the next "click".

Shirley

Well, I'm back from the store & do have regrets about my blabbering. Didn't get to the Cox office, spitting rain that is to turn to ice/snow. For sure all of us have these times in our lives when things are out of OUR control, but we manage. I will, but we all know it is much harder to watch our kids struggle. Enough said, but sorry to have taken up so much time/space.

Jack, that is a super program & I am anxious to try.... probably be back with a dozen questions.

jackwv

In checking out a video program I just installed I found it has a great feature, ability to take a frame from a video.  If you have a favorite old video and want to capture a screen it does a good job.   I am posting two photos, one of my sons Maine Coon Cat and the other of Kibbels, my first Golden.  I will post a screen shot of the program info in the slide show discussion.

[attach name=Jessie+and+Apolo_x2641548774753.jpg type=image/jpeg]8427[/attach][attach name=KIBBLES_x2641548773616.jpg type=image/jpeg]8428[/attach]

FlaJean

Jack, interesting.  Your son must love animals—-2 dogs and a cat. Wow!

jackwv

Jean Kibbles was my first Golden, years ago.  But you are right, my son loves animals.  They have 3 dogs, two are 180 pound Leonbergers.

RAMMEL

Shirley,
The computer that "drops out".  I believe you are using it in a wireless mode ( WiFi). ---
If your router has an antenna on it imaging some donuts stacked on the antenna.  Move the antenna so that if the donuts were expanding they would hit your laptop (the one that drops out).
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

jackwv

Jean my son ok'd my posting his Dog family.  The small one is the boss. :D

[attach name=Keeper+2+(3).jpg type=image/jpeg]8430[/attach]

FlaJean

Jack, nice photo.  I've heard that the Leonbergers are very gentle in spite of their size.  I bet it cost more to feed those dogs than it does his family. 😊

Amy

Jack,beautiful dogs!How old are they?
Jimmy Dean

Shirley

I went to a local dog show just to have a look at the Leonbergers & they really are big dogs. So pretty & calm. The funniest photo I ever saw was the one you had when they got the first one, of the dog sticking his head between theirs in the car.... his head was way bigger than theirs! Is the older one on the right? That little one is a hoot! 

Rick, you are so right about the wi-fi & dropping, the main problem is this house is sort of a "W" shape with the modem & router being on one end & my main laptop on the floor above at opposite end, & another older laptop right below trying to catch that signal. We tried various types of boosters but could not tell any difference. This newer HP is back working like a charm since that all night update.

I keep it on this end of the house with the kitchen/family room where I am most of the time. The old one down below still works with Paint Shop Pro old version that I can clean up old photos & do different things for cards for my grands & great grands. I was happy that all the trouble was NOT caused by hanging onto the old equipment (computers & phones... I still have 4 of the old wall phones with 25' cords on them plus the 5 portable ones that Cas liked....)

My engineer kids first started telling me "combining old & newer types was the reason for the problems". All working now & still have the old & new mix. Those wall phones will tuck under my shoulder & ear & I have both hands free to stir the soup pot of any other cooking going on & be talking at the same time. I used to have a neighbor that talked so long on the phone I could paint a whole dog portrait. She "had a need" & was easier to listen on the phone than have her come sit because I could go on working on the phone.

Speaking of updates, guess we will all need to update our iPhones because of the problem they discovered today..... I want to do it while at home in case it is a big one... to leave it plugged in. I don't do facebook but one report said the hopping on can be "anyone anywhere", I will probably need help to get that update taken care of. Always get instructions that I don't understand what they mean.

Soon be time for cats midnight snack & I am going to take care of that early in hopes of getting to bed early. Been sleepy all day & no time to nap.  Good night, all........

jackwv

The Leonburgers are a large breed and unfortunately have a short life span.  In the photo the one on the left is 5 and the one in the middle 7.  They do eat a lot, but do not empty the bowl.  Mimi always licks the bowl clean and would empty it again if filled.  Am posting a photo of the boss, eating out of the older ones mouth.  They only take so much from her then push with their paw that is as big as her head.

[attach name=to+post+seniors.jpg type=image/jpeg]8433[/attach]

Vanilla-Jackie

Jack wv...
...it takes a gutsy dog to stand up to a dog that is ten or twenty times its size... :dog3:
" There is no present like the time "

Shirley

Jack, I never knew that the larger dogs have shorter lives. My son's Great Dane was only 7 or 8 and that "was a normal" lifespan.  I thought when our German Shepherd died at 11 & half she was too young to die. Our "mutts" lived to 17-19 years old. Love his gentle giants. My sister had a Saint Bernard but he was NOT gentle, they finally got rid of him after he bit our father in the seat of the pants. Never saw a dog that didn't love that man!

Not knowing how old Mama Callie cat is, I am concerned she is not seeing as well as she should. She comes in for meals & has been sleeping inside at nights... but she still has the instincts of a feral and HAS to go outside, even if to sleep in the sunshine. I can tell the cold hurts her bones, she will shake her legs when she stands up & moves slow.

jackwv

Shirley, this is a photo I took several years ago of my sons Maine Coon Cat.  This is the largest cat breed and again a gentle giant. Unfortunately they also have a short life span.

[attach name=To+post+Apollo.jpg type=image/jpeg]8436[/attach]

Shirley

That is such a beautiful cat... is it allowed to go outside?  I know most people have the front claws taken off because they can tear up furniture, but so far these (including old LaurenKat) never scratched any furniture. They work the trees over when we go down to the river & have scratching post in bedrooms & RV... and they have sharpened their claws on the wood posts of the pool fence. But I am not going to look for another when these are gone!

Ever since Mama Callie started spending time in the house, Tom "marks his territory". I really believe he forgets he is inside because he is rubbing my leg & everything in the room purring with happiness & marks his spot! He looks shocked when it happens & tries to cover the wet spot up (on oak floors).... & when he hears me scream he takes off running to the other end of the house. Quite a scene! I've done more scrubbing floors this last year than all the years raising & potty training kids!  :knuppel2:

Mary Ann

Jack, that is a beautiful cat.  My cat, Kendrick, is part Belgian and is large.  He was weighed last summer at 15.6 pounds.  He doesn't get a lot of exercise and he does not go outside - unless he escapes.  If I go to the mailbox, I will let him out on the front stoop while I'm gone and he has been good, staying there.  I have an elevated deck and often will go out there and take the cat with me.  We don't purposely let him out to roam.

This belongs in the Pet folder but I'm not going to put it there because I'm going to get ready for bed!

Mary Ann

jackwv

Shirley and MaryAnn, their cat may go out when they are on their deck, but generally stays indoors.  The dogs get along with it but do not mingle.

Shirley

Jack, every time I scroll past that last photo of the Maine Coon, the hair on my arms stands up as does the back of my neck. Think it is those eyes.... fantastic photo with that background.

so_P_bubble

Jack, Shirley, it is that wicked witch look!  :2funny:

jackwv

]Shirley and Bubble he is really a gentle giant.  The photo background is a recliner I have in my living room. My son says any time he takes him outdoors it is on a leash.  Funny since several years ago he took him to Oglebay during a festival and he did not want to be on the leash.  My son carried him and bet at least 40 people asked if he might be petted.  He is like Mimi, loves it and just sat and enjoyed.[

Shirley

I can understand why people would want to pet that cat.... beautiful creature. I've never seen one but would love to. Still would rather have a dog to bark & warn me if anyone was around. When we had our German Shepherd I had no fear anyone could get near that she wouldn't hear or smell.

Vanilla-Jackie

Sato, Wishing you a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY......
" There is no present like the time "

jackwv

Happy birthday Sato.   Jackie thanks for posting.