Random Image

BabyJames

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

Just a short video of our bluebirds and their fledglings bathing.  We are having good luck with bluebirds nesting in the birdhouses that Larry put up.  He keeps them supplied with dried mealworms which they love.

https://vimeo.com/348226364

Shirley, they always put up warning flags about the rip tides, but people often ignore them.

Mary Ann

Jean, I got a notice that the page could not be found.  I don't know enough about videos to find the right combo.

Mary Ann

FlaJean

Somehow Vimeo had inserted an extra word which i hadn't noticed.  It should be ok now.

Mary Ann

Jean, I got the video OK and it was fun watching the birds.  Thanks.

Mary Ann

RAMMEL

No problem getting the blue bird bath  :)
The Blue Bird is our State Bird but I have never seen one here.
For the last two years we have had mocking birds. They make endless trips to get food for the chicks. We give them raisins which they will sometime catch as tossed to them. They also take very small peanut pieces.
This year they (at least one of them) will sit on the (enclosed) porch window sill and stare into the kitchen till someone feeds them. Lately a robin has taken to wanting raisins.
We have a good assortment of wildlife to entertain us - cardinals, robins, sparrows, bluejays, squirrels, some unknown birds, and lately a chipmunk.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
...yes your link opened for me, oh how lovely, we dont see bluebirds here in UK...reminds me of Dame Vera Lynn " There'll be Bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover.."

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuHYnzWHS7o
" There is no present like the time "

Mary Ann

Rick, I wish we had your assortment of birds around here.  The Association discourages us from having bird feeders but even when I had one, I had mostly cardinals, sparrows, squirrels and raccoons at the feeder. 

Jackie, I now will be humming the Bluebirds Over the White Cliffs of Dover - until another tune takes its place.  At least it's a pleasant tune!

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Mary Ann...
...we can hum it together...

FlaJean

Jackie, I enjoyed that song.  I knew the tune but had never heard the words.

Rammel, we have a regular mockingbird visitor also.  Mostly in the summer are bluebirds, cardinals. Warblers, Carolina wrens, Chickadees and sparrows, but in the winter we see many other birds that winter over or pass through.  I'm partial to the Goldfinch, but we only see it in the winter months.

RAMMEL

In the past we had lots of black capped chickadees but haven't seen them in the last couple of years. There are a few, but not many.
A couple of years back we had gold finches, so I bought a nice Niger Seed Feeder.  Guess what - no more gold finches. I think we were just in the migration path that year.
I always find it relaxing to go out in the morning and feed my friends, especially a mocking bird and a sparrow who are always there.
Some of the birds will fly directly at me and then pull upward when they get close. That, I believe, is to tell me "We're here".
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

I have a large crow perching on the arocaria tree close to my window where I sit in front of my desktop. It makes lots of calls and peers at me but I did not succeed yet to tame it or make it come nearer on the railing. I don't know how to tempt it!

Mary Ann

Bubble, it looks like you have a fun project.  I've heard of crows being tamed.

Mary Ann

JeanneP

We seem to have lost all our birds around here. Not even seeing sparrows who became a problem. Nesting under my patio roof. Miss the cardinals. Same with rabbits and other small things. Had a deer for a. Week but got hit by a ar in front of my house.

To sticky to be on computer. Turning it off. Going to take car to fix tyre.. Going as dressed. Can't stand to be dressed up. Even sticking big hat on.. Just hope I don't meet anyone I know.
JeanneP

FlaJean

I posted this in the wrong place so deleted it and am posting it here.  Was I having one of those senior moments?😳.  Just a 22 second good closeup of a Red Bellied Woodpecker eating suet in the backyard.

Https://vimeo.com/348678081

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
...this little fellow has got an appetite, hasn't it? :)  What stunning colours...

Amy

Bubble, I have a family of crows making a racket outside now. They have come for their breakfast!! I put out bread,meat ,they eat just about anything  but beans  ;D  I put out some birdseed for the doves and the crows like it also. Corn they will clean up fast and I think the next trip to the feed store I will get a bag of cracked corn for them.

Jean, love the video. Amazing little birds.
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

SCFSue

Jean, I think that woodpecker is very happy to know you!  He/she is having a fantastic breakfast!

Sue

Shirley

Great video, Jean... color & detail!  Don't think I've ever seen that woodpecker before. We have several different kinds, don't see them often but do enjoy the crazy one that bams on the transformer at the top of the pole out back! It echos & I can picture the cartoons of his beak looking like a saw tooth tool after a few bams. Thanks for the new train of thoughts....I will be bird watching (through the windows)... SO HOT!

Mary Ann

Shirley, I am sure I told before of the awful noise, a vibrating noise, at my former home.  I looked all over the house to see where it could come from and finally went outside and saw a flicker on my TV antenna.  When the bird would peck on the metal antenna, it sent a vibrating noise throughout the house.  It was eerie until I found what was causing the noise.

Mary Ann

Shirley

Mary Ann, I have doves that sit on the peak of my house & coo... one sounds like it gets a catch in it's throat & will double the coo before it stops, almost like a hiccup. I can imagine what a sound it would be to have a woodpecker/flicker bam the metal on the roof. On the transformer it kind of echoes, maybe the transformer is hollow? For years we had brown thrush in the trees down by the river & it would answer my call (kind of a kiss that ends with a whistle). I haven't heard it this year. Plenty of robins, cardinals & sparrows, even house finches & during migration, gold finches. Beautiful Baltimore Orioles that live in the trees across the street. One neighbor used to have a grape jelly feeder & had me fill it when they were gone. They weren't concerned when I sat on the deck & took photos of them. I am careful about feeding birds with cats around.    

FlaJean

I guess you can tell I'm bored today.  I did a few things outside before it got too hot.  Thought I would take a few pictures for a short video.  All the flowers are mine except the rose.  I included that beautiful rose by mistake.  It either belongs to my neighbor or is a photo that Sato sent me. Things are quiet in the forum.  Where is everyone?

Https://vimeo.com/349095121

Mary Ann

Your flowers are lovely, Jean, and you have some unusual ones there, ones I've never seen - even a picture of them.

Be bored more often.

Mary Ann

Vanilla-Jackie

Whoever's Rose that is, it is perfect..FlaJean, you have a beautiful garden, just full of flowers in bloom...What was ( the third ) flower, the pinks with the white - pale centre...

FlaJean

Jackie, that is a closeup of a hydrangea (the one below).

RAMMEL

Like the flowers ----------------------- almost as much as the "wild Life" ;)

Too hot here today to do much of anything. 94° and cooking off all the rain we got yesterday - yuck. Next two days to be over 90°.

I always look in here but I guess I'm a poor poster.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

Beautiful flowers, Jean, glad you were bored! That doesn't look like one of Sato's rose photos... wonder why he doesn't post at all anymore. Does it get super hot where you live? 

My poor grass is really brown now, 3 days of 100 or more & wind blowing so suck up the moisture. I would water but wind blowing so hard the water wouldn't hit the ground. Supposed to get a break Sunday night... down in the 80s for a few days. I hate to wake up at 5:00 am to the 80s & humidity thick enough to cut. Not seeing many birds, they must be hanging out in the trees down by the river. I have been going down nearly every evening, it has finally dried out enough to be able to walk down the bank onto the "sand bar" or beach... of sand that used to be the river bed. Now we have a new bank further out where I can go feed the fish. That one neighbor goes to MY spot to fish & looks like someone slipped & nearly fell in  ;) . Did have a carp & catfish come for bread when I whistled tonight.

Like you, Rick, I do enjoy the wild critters. I de-boned a chicken that I baked & took skin & bones down tonight, nary a trace will be left by morning. I have not seen the fox or coyote for quite a while so they may have been trapped on the other side of the river when it flooded. Bedtime here in Kansas.......y'all take care!  Shirley

Vanilla-Jackie

FlaJean...
...ah yes, now I recognise it...

Shirley

Bubble, I forgot to mention that most birds will remember where they find any food/treat.... and return. We had a bluejay when living out west that went from one house to another during the day (all of us ladies got together & discussed it's habits).. one fed dry cat food, one bread, one a bowl of fresh water & I was meat & potatoes. Don't know what happened to it but thought it probably was raised by humans & thought all people would feed. The crows are especially smart & think any food you can put on a window sill will bring it back every day. I love it when they can stay in the wild, like the robin we fed for 8 years... it even migrated every winter & returned in the spring happy to see us. I fed it scrambled eggs, cooked scrambled hamburger & bites of honey wheat-berry bread. Give it a try, they are so interesting & fun to talk to.

Jean, I've never been able to grow hydrangeas but had a neighbor that had one like yours. They had such pretty flowers, both are dead now so this is the first summer without their yard looking like a park. Beautiful photo, colors & sharp...and flower, thanks!

FlaJean

Rammel, I'm not much of a poster either but have been trying to post a little more lately.  We've lost so many people on S&F ——It makes me sad to think about it.

Shirley, mostly we have been having our usual hot summer days, but today is overcast and cooler.  The weather shows rain and scattered storms coming our way from the Gulf.  Our hydrangeas were here before we were.  Those flower photos were not enhanced and were taken with my iPhone.  That iPhone has truer colors than my Panasonic.  The Panasonic does a better job on the birds because of the zoom.  My husband has a Nikon and it really takes good up close photos.

Sato often sends me videos and photos on iMessage.  It is so easy with no resizing, etc. ——-just drag and drop or copy and paste.

Bubble, is your crow still visiting you?

Joy

Jean, I always enjoy seeing your pictures.  As well, as all the other's too.  So, I appreciate it when I see something that you have put on here. 

Yes, sadly, there has been a lot of the Friend who have left us. Especially,  miss June and Gloria de .

Keep the pictures coming.

Joy
BIG BOX