Random Image

Pink hat

Owner: Beverly
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:45:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

2024-02-20, 23:18:48
alpiner1: Is the chat live ?

2024-02-19, 23:20:20
junee: Junee

2024-01-30, 11:45:01
Astro: Periodically I use it.

2024-01-29, 20:17:44
mycheal: Love the chat  off and on

2024-01-14, 21:12:20
Oldiesmann: Just curious. Does anyone still use the chat? It doesn't make any difference to me since it's a free service. Just wondering

2023-11-28, 19:23:29
JeanneP: Stiil trying to let Julee know that my EM is   gmjeannep2@gmail.com  and that the  old Comcast on is no longer work, it was to old and they dont do EM anymore

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlaJean

Those cyclamen are lovely.  If I can find a plant I might try it on my back porch.  I have a nice low brick wall around it where I could put some plants.  It faces the East.

Amy

Jean, I would smell each white plants as all do not have the heavenly scent tis well worth sniffing them out. :thumbup:
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

FlaJean

Thanks Amy, I'll be sure and smell the plants

Beverly

My hibiscus bush never froze last winter so I didn't cut it back. The result is a huge 10 foot bush that is still blooming. We need to cut it back in a month or so and hope for a good comeback in the summer.

FlaJean

Beverly, that is a pretty hibiscus.  When we have extreme cold we put any potted plants temporarily in the garage.  We have only had to do that once I think since we moved.  Ocala was in zone 9a and we are zone 8b, the same as Tallahassee.

Shirley

That is gorgeous, Beverly! I had a nice visit with a mixed up robin this morning. I opened the sliding door to let one of the cats in & the robin was having one last fuss at the cat... so I talked to it & it chirped back & forth a few times & since it is mighty cold here to have a door open, I closed & haven't seen the robin again. Poor baby, it will realize winter is not over pretty soon, we have our coldest weather in Feb. Some where in the garage is a bird bath warmer but I wouldn't know where to look. Before cats we catered to the birds, especially robins.

JeanneP

Not a bird to be seen around here right now. I always wonder were they go so fast because if it warms up or the sun shines back the come.  Even if just for a day. No rabbits either. Going down to below 15 deg. Tonight but so far no snow. Month going fast.hasnt been to bad so far. such problems in some areas.
Wish I could get rid of this cough and some energy back.
JeanneP

FlaJean

JeanneP,  how is your daughter in Texas.  Is she recovering from her back trouble?

so_P_bubble

Mary Ann

Bubble, what a nice poster!  Lots of good choices!

Mary Ann

Shirley

Thank's a neat poster, Bubble!  Have a question for you, note that is in English, what is your "first" language & how many do you speak?  I'm still wishing I could speak at least one other, my son-in-law speaks 7 & when they travel or are at large gatherings anywhere in the world, he can at least understand a little or have a common language with everyone. Is English fairly common in Israel?  I know, like the US, it is sort of a "melting pot" of the world. That's what our teachers in the old days always called the US. Jeanne, you are also a transplant, aren't you?  Since I grew up in MO, I feel like one, Kansas is nothing like Missouri, never had this wind in MO. Northern Kansas people have more clipped speech instead the drawl in the south. 2 of my sisters in law grew up in northern KS & at first they sounded very different.

When we lived in England my Missorui twang was almost another language to the local ladies that ran a little grocery store. Two sweet little retired nurses had a tiny one room store where they stocked only a few items and they treated me like a daughter, since I married at 19 & had that first baby just 10 days after turning 21. Being short I looked like a kid, and I appreciated their "mothering". Before cell phones so never talked to my mother the whole 3 years, so I loved having them tell me what to eat & not, etc. When did you leave "home"?

Quick edit.. I  was in a hurry to post because the phone was ringing so didn't get the rest  copied.  I was talking to you, JeanneP... didn't you grow up in England?  A military bride or did your parents immigrate.  Had a long ago artist friend that both she & her husband were from England & she was always doing impressive things, like converting recipe books from measurements  used in England to US measurements. 

so_P_bubble

In Congo, the main language was French and that is what we spoke
 at home. I spoke Swahili with the natives.
In school we learned Flamish/Dutch for 7 years but I never spoke it; we learned 8 years of English too. Of course I had 5 years of Latin and Greek which helps with roots for different tongues.
I am not fluent any more with either Spanish or Italian because I haven't used that for over 30 years but I still understand all when I see a film in those languages. \I learned  mandatory  German for 2y in Switzerland :uglystupid2:  but never managed to make a proper sentence: I have a huge blockage with it.

Now of course I have Hebrew as well but my spelling is atrocious. The main thing is that I speak it fluently and no one would guess I can barely read it :)  Without vowels, it is like a guessing game.

That is more than you wanted to know, Shirley?   ;D

These days I read exclusively in English. I find it to be more concise than French. Also, here books in English are much cheaper than those in French, for some obscure reason. This has helped my vocabulary I am sure.

JeanneP

Shirley.

Now I came here at 21. Sort of thought I would just stay for awhile as friend sponsored me and I had a green card. Was offered good job. Married a friend I met in u.k had a2 daughters. Made some good friends. Marriage didn't work forme but stayed good friends. I was able to go back o u.k often 14 times. Some times for 3 months at time. Family would come over here. So years went by and I am still here.. Need to get back for a trip. Not many family left there now. Or friends. But same here. Wre did years go?
I tried learning other languages as we just had Latin in school. I was bad at any. Use to be hard as traveled a lot in Europe but been easy last 15 years or so. English most everywhere now.
My town here though is getting so Spanish that I wish I could speak it . I can understand what people try to say in French or Italian . I do. Good with hands and what little Latin. Amazing how very few of these Mexican people here now can speak English. Hard to find a handyman or house cleaner as they are good workers and lots of them.
JeanneP

SCFSue

I lived with an Aunt and Uncle for a few years when I was a pre-teen.  As they grew older, they sent me back to West Virginia to my grandmother's home as it was too much for my Uncle, but they continued to send my sisters and me nice clothing--which was fortunate as my grandmother who was an assistant Post Master in the Post Office (town population about 15,000) took us in when my Mother left us with my grandmother.  Grandma worked until her late 60's and we had a housekeeper who raised our baby sister.  I was the oldest and my next sister was 20 months younger and the baby sister was only a year old when our Mother disappeared (we thought she'd been abducted, but she just skipped out of our lives, caught a train to California where her brothers were working in an Airplane factory--and never saw us again).

She later married (two or three times) and I have a half brother in California I'm very fond of, but didn't get to know until a cousin had a big family reunion in West Virginia.  I met him, his wife and his 2 daughters.  We talk by e-mail and try to keep up that way.

Not much else to report except that it's a brilliant sunny day here in Auburn, Alabama, and I need to get outside for a much needed walk!  I hope Every One looking in has a lovely Sunday afternoon!

Sue

Mary Ann

Wow, Sue, I knew you were brought up in West Virginia but I didn't know your history.  You had some nice relatives that brought you up.  I did not live in W Va long enough to remember any thing about it and it wasn't until Dad and I took a trip in 1950 that we went to Wellsburg where he showed me the house where I was born and I met some of his friends.  I was about 15 months old when we left Wellsburg for Grand Rapids and I've been here ever since.

Mary Ann

Shirley

What interesting lives y'all have had! Don't you love hearing everyone's "story of their life". Here we are, all of us at basically the same point in life and yet we grew up & lived so far apart and such different circumstances.   The war was pretty much the center of my life from 6 to 10 years old, we moved from a town where we had lots of relatives to where my father was transferred to work in the "Signal Department" of the railroad, when I was 6, not long after Pearl Harbor. Mother explained that "they needed Dad to keep the trains safe".  For years I have begged everyone to write about their early life. I guess if we are going to do it, time is NOW!  Since this is as good of place as any and we could post photos from those long ago years, how about it? 

I started thinking about this yesterday, remembering those early years. This morning I feel like I've been in another world, my childhood, among people I loved a long time ago.

SCFSue

What I haven't mentioned here is that I went to South Carolina to the University in Columbia. I attended summer school all 3 years and graduated from the U. at the end of that.  My husband and I married the next day, packed up our 1937 Dodge coupe and drove to Norfolk, Virginia in 2 days.  He had to go to the Naval Base on Monday and called back to the apartment we'd rented and asked me to hurry down to the Base with his extra uniforms.  They were going to sea for the rest of the week!  That was my introduction to Navy life.  Bob had been selected for Navy Flight School in Pensacola but couldn't attend there until all the Naval Academy Grads who were also selected could go first.  (That's the old "rank has it's privileges" theory!).

We enjoyed our Navy Life although it is tough on Pilots' families.  The missions are often for 6-8 months long and our only communication were letters at that time.  Most of my friends in those years were other Navy wives who were stuck at home with young children. We played lots of bridge at night with toddlers sleeping on someone's bed!

Have a nice day, Everyone!
Sue

Sandy

Good Monday Mornling,  Everyone. 

I was born in 1943...and grew up in
the fifties and sixties..

I lived in New England
somewhere in and around
Salisbury Ma,  Hampton NH, 
and Portland Maine  for most
of my life....  with
a short spell, (seven years in
Bradenton, Florida) and a year
traveling across the USA and
living in Port Townsend,  Wa)

I lived in the North East,
South East and North West. 

Enough to feel that I have
been lucky to see a lot of the
USA, Canada and parts of Eastern
and Western Europe,  where I
traveled for 5 weeks back in the
Eighties.

My only regret is that I only
speak and understand one language
(English)... And with that limited
understanding comes a limited
understanding of so much of the
rest of our beautiful world.

I envy your fluency ET !! 

Have a great day,  EVERYONE...

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Good heavens, Sandy, you're just a kid!  I graduated from high school two years before you were born - in 1941.  In June, it will be 79 years that I've been out of school.  I started working in 1942, still before you were born.  I am older than dirt!!!

Mary Ann

Sandy

Good For YOU,
Mary Ann  ! 

I hope that I am as fortunate as you,
and can live into my 90's plus!!!

Sandy
  "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out."

― Carl Sagan

Mary Ann

Thank you, Sandy.

Mary Ann

so_P_bubble

challene=ge 10.jpg

Can you find the six (6) words hiding in the image? Answer by mail or PM so as to give all an chance to play.

Amy

Sent an email and thank you....that was fun!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

so_P_bubble

RAMMEL

Hope I found the same 6  :-\
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

so_P_bubble

Rammel, 6/6 for you too. Well done.

Shirley

My daughter has been in town all week & every time I start counting, I forget to pull up a pad to write down & forget when I come back again. I think I found 6 but not sure enough to claim, one is kind of iffy.  ???  Fun, Bubble, thank you.

And if you get a chance to fix a boo-boo I made over in Norm's Bait & Tackle... I posted a Maxine for Mary Ann in there & size is too wide, have to scroll ... & was either I delete the whole post or hope someone could fix. I got busy & time passed so I couldn't delete (suppose it's still half an hour?). Had a look & it's still a mess. Back in the old days we weren't allowed to post a photo anywhere but Photos & none of those kind of graphics, but don't guess it matters now??? And thought it might put a smile on Mary Ann's face while in re-hab. I'm not all here this week.

so_P_bubble

It's resized now Shirley :)
Have a great day!

Shirley

Thank you, Bubble, and are you going to post all the words or make me beg?  :'(  I have to visit the eye doctor in the morning to see when he can start removal of cataracts & then go for new glasses when the last cataract heals. I am so tired of a fuzzy world! I have papers to fill out so can't put that off any longer.  Thank you for fixing my boo-boo

so_P_bubble

Cool, Know, See, Cut, Man, Tell, knowledge

When I went to retrieve the solution, all guessing games and images had disappeared from the computer and the file was empty. What a loss... until I remembered that I do a weekly back up on an external drive. Two weeks back, I found the complete file there. I am back breathing! lol