Random Image

Blue Quilt

Owner: Amy
Welcome to Seniors & Friends. Please login or sign up.

May 10, 2024, 08:57:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Shoutbox

2024-05-06, 01:46:51
junee: Bubble

2024-05-06, 01:46:39
junee: b

2024-05-02, 00:44:41
Oldiesmann: Relevant links can be found in topics in the Homemaking, Food & Garden board. I'll see about moving them over to articles here when I get a chance.

2024-05-02, 00:07:54
Oldiesmann: Found them. They're on the CP site: https://www.christianphotographers.com/recipes/recipeindex.html

2024-05-01, 23:57:58
Oldiesmann: I'm not finding anything related to recipes on the site. I'll do some digging through the Internet Archive and see if I can dig them up. It's possible that got lost in the big server crash back in 2016

2024-05-01, 17:21:56
JeanneP: I am trying to get into the Archives of the Recipes that where moved over from Senior net few years ago, Can't find them

2024-03-22, 14:15:18
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash Lemon Pepper, Bush's Best Brown Sugar Hickory Baked Beans, Green Grapes and Chocolate Chip Cookies that my husband prepared.  Sorry about the previous type error with my last post.

2024-03-22, 14:03:04
Domestic Goddess: Pollock Fillets seasoned with Mrs. Dash

2024-03-22, 09:31:45
Domestic Goddess: Is this correct, if one would like to post/share a recipe, we do so here?  If so, was searching to see if there were separate recipe categories?

2024-02-21, 22:30:59
Oldiesmann: The chat can be accessed from the menu but I don't kow how often anyone is in there

Photos Old and New

Started by Pat, March 29, 2016, 02:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amy

Shirley my friend sent me more photos. Just look at this Momma and her twins!!
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

Amy

More family..herd of deer.jpg
I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.
Jimmy Dean
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. -Will Rogers

patricia19

Amy, what an adorable family. Other than the moose, the only deer we have is Sitka white-tailed deer in the Southeast part of the state.

patricia19

Here is an official (Not mine, of course!!) grounds eye view of one of our local fires. We are heading back into the eighties, with smokey skies, and drier air.

Ground eye view.jpg

MaryPage

We have a dozen or more deer, no moose.  Meese?

There is a large lot covered in forest that my building mostly faces.  The poor deer used to be in a huge forest primeval, but development has pushed them out of most of that, and this large lot is about all there is left to them hereabouts.  The owners have been trying to build on that lot for a quarter of a century now; if they prevail, I will move.  But the truth is, there is no where for those deer to go.  So sad.

And another sad thing: they, the deer, have become acclimated to human beings and their dwellings.  They come right up to the patios of the terrace level apartments and look in through the sliding glass doors.  They come up from their hidey places in the forest and wander up and down our lawns in broad daylight.  I don't know what is to become of them, but it makes me feel a little sick just to think on it.

Yes, I have counted up to a dozen at one time on our lawns.  There may be more than that actually living in that last place for wild things here where to be on the water is most desired by my species, leaving the other species with no homes.

RAMMEL

Somewhere I have a picture of Gunther (remember him ?) feeding an apple to a deer on his property. even though I live in a fairly big City we have had deer in our front yard, and at the neighbor's behind us. We have an old rail line, golf course, power line right-of-way, and a park, nearby. So the opportunity for wild life is nearby. We've had deer, rabbits, turkeys, pheasants, possums, chucks, and all the small regular City stuff.

This year we have Robins that visit every day looking for a handout of raisins. Last year mocking birds came regularly looking for an easy handout (also raisins) and made endless trips to their nest.. I enjoy, and find it very relaxing to sit on our front porch and feed the critters. At times the mocking bird can be heard in the middle of the night. I keep telling myself I'll get some pic's but so far --- no action on my part  :( 
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

Oh, the deer photos are wonderful, Amy! Trying to recognize the bark on the trees but not familiar. Must be the colder north, maybe Canada?  Beautiful landscape.

Patricia, that is NOT the landscape I see in my mind when thinking of Alaska. So much to take in when looking at it, from the smoke in the sky to the dry river bed? 

Yes, Rick, I remember Gunther. There was another man that lived on the coast in the NW & was trying to think of his name earlier and can't.... he was pretty active online.... Glad you mentioned the robins like raisins, I have a big box that didn't get eaten & was wondering what to do with them. Probably need to soak a few at a time to puff them back up & put out to see if our robins will eat. The one that decided we were family for 8 years expected scrambled eggs, cooked scrambled hamburger & honey/wheat bread put in a dish for her to eat & feed her babies. I have 8 years of photos of her along with her nests that she lined with the all colors of Easter grass we put out for her to use. I will try the raisins tomorrow, one robin keeps using a nest that sits on a light fixture on the end of the house. Guess she cleans it up each time, but our Missy of 8 years, built a new nest 3 times each summer.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Shirley on July 12, 2021, 10:21:14 PMI remember Gunther. There was another man that lived on the coast in the NW & was trying to think of his name earlier and can't.... he was pretty active online..

There was Bob Kilmartin & Dave Bate, both from Oregon.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

One of the robins comes to a back porch window every morning and will grab the raisins as I put them down across the window sill. Once in a while a cardinal will do a "fly by" to make sure we know to feed them. The cardinals like peanuts. The cardinals will not come close but will sit on a fence and watch for where to go for eats.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

RAMMEL

It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Shirley

Rick, I'm pretty sure it was Dave, didn't know his last name. That is Gunther with the deer, right? He sent me a photo one time, of a little table when he was a child, with Hitler's photo on it, said it was a must to stay alive. Amazes me that we've had the chance to see into lives around the world from our own homes. I also have some peanuts (will they eat the honey coated?) so will put both out on the feeder I can see from my kitchen sink window. I always have a big "tub" of raisins & another of peanuts on the table in my RV so when my sons come by to eat, they munch as they wait for food to be served. I do love to feed my family. ;)  Was trying to remember if Dave or Gunther still alive, at the same time I was trying to learn how to "morph" from Glenn Curtis.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Shirley on July 13, 2021, 11:06:45 AMRick, I'm pretty sure it was Dave, didn't know his last name. That is Gunther with the deer, right? That IS Gunther He sent me a photo one time, of a little table when he was a child, with Hitler's photo on it, said it was a must to stay alive. Amazes me that we've had the chance to see into lives around the world from our own homes. That's one reason I like S&F I also have some peanuts (will they eat the honey coated? Bet they would.  My son was feeding a chipmonk tonight.) so will put both out on the feeder I can see from my kitchen sink window. I always have a big "tub" of raisins & another of peanuts on the table in my RV so when my sons come by to eat, they munch as they wait for food to be served. I do love to feed my family. ;)  Was trying to remember if Dave or Gunther still alive,Dave is gone and I lost track of Gunther when he migrated to Apple and the Apple discussions. at the same time I was trying to learn how to "morph" from Glenn Curtis.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

Marilyne

Rick -  I remember Gunther, but couldn't place which discussion he posted in?   Shirley reminded me, that it was the Apple/iMac folder.  He was active there, and so was I . . . and Sasha, and Soultwin.  A couple of other men as well, but can't recall their names?

Vanilla-Jackie

I remember the name Gunther and i remember his avatar photo picture, sure he was wearing a checked shirt in it but, i remember very little else about him...Of course when our forum crashed a few years ago we had to start afresh where we lost past members posts and avatar photos along with it...Was Gunter the man who wrote lengthy stories or was it poetry, or i may be thinking of someone else, now i am probably going back a good ten years...

Marilyne...
....i well remember Soultwin, we had some laughs together ( Soda Shoppe, ) she had a great sense of fun on our forum....I well remember the ice in the bath emoji she often posted when the heat was getting too much for her...I am also sure she would post " on this day " she would find things that had happened in the past on this day, some were humorous as today we might have been celebrating " chocolate " day...and we know how chocolate melts in our heat...
...which also brings fond memories back of Mahlia, ( husband was Egyptian ) how she loved her " Hershey " bars....

MaryPage

Oh, I loved Mahlia. We were great good friends. Back there. Somewhere.

RAMMEL

Quote from: Vanilla-Jackie on July 14, 2021, 01:41:24 AMI remember the name Gunther and i remember his avatar photo picture, sure he was wearing a checked shirt in it but, i remember very little else about him...Of course when our forum crashed a few years ago we had to start afresh where we lost past members posts and avatar photos along with it...Was Gunter the man who wrote lengthy stories or was it poetry, or i may be thinking of someone else, now i am probably going back a good ten years...Gunther filled us in on his trip back to Germany. Marty from Miami wrote a long story about his life/career in radio, which I think I still have.
It's the WINDMILLS

THIMK

patricia19

I took an evening stroll with friends in Alaskaland's Pioneer Park. We were enjoying raspberry sherbet and some of the flowers.

DSCN0156a.jpg

patricia19

patricia19

patricia19

MaryPage

Gorgeous, Patricia! And I sure would love to tuck into a cone of raspberry sherbet!

patricia19

The park has a village where they've moved many of the older historical homes and cabins. Each summer, different people rent them out for shops. And they wear Gold Rush era costumes. One is an ice cream parlor where the old fashion ice cream, sherbets, and other products are made onsite. It's a summertime favorite!

The church where my parents were wed in September 1946 is there.

Shirley

Patricia, I've always heard about the humongous flowers & veggies grown in Alaska, those are gorgeous! Are the blossoms as huge as they appear?  Thank you for sharing them, the colors are amazing.... petunias & nasturtiums, my all time favs. One thing I always enjoy in Colorado are the flowers they have along the streets, Vail, Aspen, Salida & Buena Vista are the towns we see most.

Sadly, with the wind we have in KS, hard to have many flowers outside. My next door neighbor has a couple big-big pots of red geraniums blooming right now. I had a huge salmon colored one blooming right out front & one morning I looked & some kind of worms had stripped the plant of every bloom & leaf overnight! I threw in the towel, no more bug lovers for me. I just cut down half a barrel full of little redbud trees that were almost as tall as I am, they are worse than weeds. Started raining so I quit.

patricia19

Shirley, those aren't big. It must have been the way I framed them. We do have some big flowers, dahlia, sunflowers, peonies, and others. I'll see if I can find some of those later.

The secret to over one hundred pound cabbages and other vegetables is the black glacial soil, plus this is gold country, still mined, and there are a lot of minerals in the soil. It's why Roosevelt sent so many Dust Bowl farmers to the state.

My house is done, decluttered, cleaned, and stuff is GONE! Just in time as while the balcony guys didn't make it, they're rescheduling. The main Juneau office is sending folks out this weekend to go through all seven buildings for a master list of needed repairs per apartment.

Security told me, every apartment will have a list gone through at one time instead of piecemeal. This is what they planned for March 2020, just before COVID-19 hit.

I include a photo of my office where you can actually see the surfaces!
  :coolsmiley:   

My office_you can see the surface..jpg

patricia19

I found many plugin drives from 2003 to 2015 and beyond under all that stuff, so enjoy some throwbacks. Plus you can enjoy the view with the lost trees.

2019 Office

2019 Office versiona.jpg

patricia19

Fall 2019

Fall 2019.jpg

patricia19

Shirley

Love the sky photos, Patricia. Even tho I painted all my life (art teachers even in grade school), nobody ever mentioned how clouds had a "flat bottom" at a distance. Sitting in a large room with huge oil paintings all across one wall, listening to a well known female reporter lecture at a ladies gathering, my mind wandered to those painting & how each one had large "foofy" clouds with flat bottoms. Sure enough, our Kansas skies have them all the time! Strange how I never noticed it  growing up, I always watched clouds. Hope each of you go out & take a good look at clouds & see that darker flat spot, looks like the artist used a palette knife to scrape the bottom or add the darker blue. My thought for the day!

By the way, love to hire you to organize MY house, not just one room! I get side tracked so easily!

patricia19

Shirley, I had noticed the flat bottom on clouds about the same time I noticed that they, the sun, and the moon were always moving. However, I thought the flat bottoms were due to underlying winds in the atmosphere?

I also do not know if it's because I'm in the arctic or live next to foothills from the Alaska Range or both. But you can easily find the different celestial bodies orbit because they don't change, And they're often visible both in the daytime and at night.

patricia19

Amy, I removed my response for continuity. But it was a great photo!